PDA

View Full Version : Specter irked by uncooperative Pats

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-23-2008, 07:51 AM
Specter irked by uncooperative Pats, league in Spygate probe
By Mike Fish
ESPN.com
Updated: February 22, 2008

Frustrated at the obstacles confronting his investigation of "Spygate," Sen. Arlen Specter accused the New England Patriots of "stonewalling" on Friday and suggested the NFL might never get around to questioning key witness Matt Walsh, a former Patriots video assistant.

Specter's comments are in stark contrast to remarks on Wednesday from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who told reporters that the NFL was moving toward an agreement that would allow Walsh to tell what he knows about the Patriots' spying practices without fear of being sued.

Sen. Arlen Specter says he would like to be present if the NFL ever questions Matt Walsh, a former Patriots video assistant.
"My suspicion is that they're going to put enough conditions on it so that he won't talk," Specter, a Republican from Pennsylvania, told ESPN.com. "If they had wanted Walsh to talk, it would have been done a long time ago. They are not helped by keeping him on ice, unless they intend to [permanently] keep him on ice."

If the league gains Walsh's cooperation, Specter said he wants to be present when Walsh is questioned "because a witness' testimony can be shaded or molded by who questions him first.''

Walsh, employed by the Patriots from 1996 to 2003, has suggested that he has information, perhaps even materials, about the Patriots' video practices that could be potentially damaging.

His attorney, Michael Levy, forwarded a proposal to the NFL's outside counsel seeking full indemnification for Walsh on Feb. 14. Levy, as well as Specter, maintained that the league's initial proposal failed to protect Walsh against the possibility of being sued, and said it also required that he turn over any materials or evidence.

"They haven't taken the steps to get Walsh to come forward," Specter said. "They have the key."

Late Friday afternoon, NFL spokesperson Greg Aiello said the league respectfully disagrees with Specter.

"We have offered Mr. Walsh's attorney assurances that are fully responsive to his concerns," Aiello said. "And we have not heard back from him. ... We very much want to speak to [Walsh]."

As of Friday night, however, the league and Walsh's attorney had not reached an agreement.

An attorney for the Patriots told ESPN.com that Walsh did not have a confidentiality agreement with the franchise or anything else that might prevent his cooperation.

Specter painted a much starker, more contentious picture than the one presented by the league and the Patriots. He said both the Patriots and New York Jets have refused to cooperate with his investigation.

Specter told ESPN.com that his staff has been rebuffed in its efforts to interview Patriots personnel about the team's videotaping practices. The Republican leader on the Senate Judiciary Committee refused to say who, specifically, he wanted to talk to, but the list presumably includes head coach Bill Belichick, his longtime assistant Ernie Adams and members of the team's video department.

"My staff has been stonewalled on that," Specter said.

After his staff made phone contact with some individuals connected to the team, Specter said they were referred to the Patriots' outside legal counsel, who rejected a request for cooperation. Daniel L. Goldberg, who represents the Patriots and also the Boston Red Sox, said that in all cases, the individuals had been previously interviewed at least once -- and in some instances twice -- by the league.

Goldberg refused to identify those individuals.

"Sen. Specter's office had called me as counsel to the Patriots to ask to interview several Patriots employees," said Goldberg, attorney with the Boston firm of Bingham and McCutchen. "I was told that the inquiry was with respect to signal-taping. And as I explained to the Senator's office, we regard this as a league matter. As such, we have fully cooperated with the league's investigation."

Asked to respond to Specter's accusation that the Patriots have stonewalled his requests for information, Goldberg said, "You look at it from our perspective. Who is the right forum for an inquiry into a matter like this? We regard this as a league matter. It deals with league rules, league enforcement."

But Specter, a one-time district attorney in Philadelphia, didn't react favorably to the Patriots' responses to his investigators.

"Well, I think that it is somewhere between absurd to insulting that they won't let us talk to the witnesses," Specter said. "Whoever heard of not being able to talk to someone because it is hearsay back from somebody else who talked to them. You have to question hearsay and reliability. I'm not prepared to accept what somebody else says these key witnesses say. What kind of an inquiry would it be if we accepted what somebody else tells us what was said?"

Specter's investigators also have been rebuffed in their efforts to seek access to members of the Jets' coaching staff. During the season-opening game last September at New York, the Patriots were caught taping defensive signals being sent in from the Jets' sideline. The Jets' staff is of key interest in the Spygate affair because several members, including Jets head coach Eric Mangini, worked under Belichick in New England.

"Our firm was engaged to represent certain employees of the New York Jets in connection with a request for information from Sen. Specter," Jets outside legal counsel Scott Michel said in an e-mail to ESPN.com on Friday night. "Our clients have not spoken to the senator or his staff and at this time have no plans to do so."

Specter said Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Damon Huard, a one-time backup to Tom Brady with the Patriots, refused to speak with him, too, during a personal phone call the Senator placed to Huard last Friday.

"I talked to him, and he wouldn't talk," Specter said. "I didn't go through a secretary, and he doubted that it was Arlen Specter. Maybe that is why he wouldn't talk. I don't sound much like Arlen Specter."

Specter said it is only because of outside pressure that the NFL has offered up additional information related to the Patriots' taping history. Specter explained: "To get a concession from the commissioner that it goes back to the year 2000. To get a concession that they had notes. Originally, we were only told about videos, and they only went back a half-dozen games in '06. Originally, we weren't told that the notes included the [Pittsburgh] Steelers."

Specter said he is aware of what appears to be a united league-wide front supporting Goodell's handling of the taping controversy. That support was echoed Thursday at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis by members of the league's powerful Competition Committee, who told reporters they believe the issue should be put to rest.

"Well, I don't want to pick a fight with everybody in the world, like all the owners," Specter said. "But they are functioning from talking points -- 'We're satisfied with the investigation.' 'Oh yes, the penalty was sufficient.' 'Oh, let's put this behind us.' 'Let's move on.'

"You have heard everyone say the same thing."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3259486

rbryan
02-23-2008, 08:39 AM
The more I read the more it seems the NFL is taking the the same smug approach that the patsies did when this first broke. "Who is Specter to investigate us. We're the NFL and we govern ourselves"

Hey Roger, you're about to find out what its like to have a Senate oversight committee so far up your azz that they'll be able to check your prostate for you while they're up there.

Anything short of Bellichick getting run out of the league isn't going to satisfy me.

steel striker
02-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Billicheat is such a smug SOB and, I would like to see him get what he has coming. I wonder if the truth is really going to surface. Seems like the NFL wants this to be swept underneath the carpet. although if a player even dresses wrong they get raked over the coals. I guess time will tell

fansince'76
02-23-2008, 06:02 PM
Billicheat is such a smug SOB and, I would like to see him get what he has coming. I wonder if the truth is really going to surface. Seems like the NFL wants this to be swept underneath the carpet. although if a player even dresses wrong they get raked over the coals. I guess time will tell

Agreed - seems the NFL brass' priorities are a bit misplaced, huh? Wearing socks that are the wrong color in a game = problem. Endemic cheating by a franchise for years, causing the integrity of the game as a whole to come into question = no problem! :thumbsup:

The Patriot
02-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Goodell issued this statement: "Walsh who?"

Rhee Rhee
02-23-2008, 11:48 PM
romeo crennel is backing up for his ex-boss...

he came out and said he never saw any tape of any team...

what a load of BULL SHAT... i used to respect crennell and the job he did in cleveland... but now...

polamalu82
02-24-2008, 04:07 PM
After reading all the stuff on spygate, I've come to these conclusions:

1. Walsh will have damning evidence.

2. The Patriots* know that serious ramifications will come of the evidence.

3. Goodell is a secretive S.O.B.

4. Belicheat is a lying cheater.

5. Belicheat will at the very least get suspended if the evidence sees light of day.

6. Specter must be a STEELERS fan!!!!:jammin::tt02:

Atlanta Dan
02-24-2008, 05:04 PM
romeo crennel is backing up for his ex-boss...

he came out and said he never saw any tape of any team...

what a load of BULL SHAT... i used to respect crennell and the job he did in cleveland... but now...

Let's see how that plays out when people are put under oath

Trust me on this - folks memories either "improve" or denials become "I do not recall" when you tell them a false statement may buy you contempt of Congress and/or prosecution under 18 USC 1001

steeler43pa
02-25-2008, 09:08 AM

Trust me on this - folks memories either "improve" or denials become "I do not recall" when you tell them a false statement may buy you contempt of Congress and/or prosecution under 18 USC 1001

Thats right Dan. I know the NFL wants this to go away. It will hurt the NFL to some degree. However from a fans point of view, I would rather see the NFL take a hit and know that when watching a game it is played on a fair playing field. To me that is much better than knowing the Patriots cheated and wondering just how it helped them win games and to what extent. We are die hard Steeler fans. We watch weather they are winning or loosing. It can be extreamly stressfull as all of you real fans know. But we watch untill the clock shows 00:00. We deserve to know what went on and the Patriots deserve to face the music for it.

lilyoder6
02-25-2008, 09:26 AM
if walsh brings these tapes out it will destroy the pats.. and i hope they are stripped of the rings they have won... and also this might hurt goodell as well for trying to push it under the carpet

Stu Pidasso
02-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Even if the tapes see the light of day, I've seen enough poo-poo-ing from Goodell and everyone else connected, that they'll try to make it a non-issue. Even if Walsh has videotape of Belicheat telling him to go tape the Rams/Steelers/Jets/LSU Cheerleaders, it'll most likely be swept under the rug. I doubt 100% that anything but a suspension/fine will be levied against the Pats*. No asterisks in the books, no stripping of titles, nothing. Eventually, everyone will forget about it and move on. Just ask Pete Rose.

It's up to us, as fans, to hold them to their own high standards. Never forget, and write your congressman!

Rhee Rhee
02-26-2008, 02:36 AM

my faith is in ur hands..

i hope ur right...

stlrtruck
02-26-2008, 07:52 AM
This reminds me of the movie, "Lucky Number Slevin" when the guy is talking about doing a Kansas City Shuffle:

They have you looking one way while they're going the other way - then a guy ends up with his neck broke!!!

I just get a bad feeling that the fans are going to be the one's with their necks broke when it's all said and done.

OneForTheToe
02-26-2008, 02:23 PM
I don't think Specter has the support at the moment to have hearings and get these people under oath. I know Specter said Patrick Leahy,(chairman) sat in on part of his meeting with Goodell, and later gave his blessing to push forward, but I'm not sure that was much more than Leahy supporting Specter because they are friends and colleges. I notice the absence of any other Senators speaking out on this matter. Usually in these situations Senators are falling over each other to find an open mike and way in with their opinion.

Possibly the fiasco that was the Clemons’ hearing in the House is making some members cautious. I think Specter will have to find the “smoking gun” before the hearings in order to get that far.

For me that is fine because as I have stated I am not that big of a fan of Specters’ investigation. I think the Pats cheated. They should have lost both first round draft picks and Belichek should have been suspended. That said, I am not a fan of this being handled by Specter and his Comcast bosses.

This is the reason I usually avoid posting on this matter. I don’t want to be perceived as a Pats apologizer (which I am not), but in my mind the ends of getting the Pats just don’t justify the means.

Edited to Add: I now Specter can get people under oath without having them testify publicly, but he needs the full Committee for subpoena power?

TackleMeBen
05-14-2008, 01:02 PM
WASHINGTON (AP) - Sen. Arlen Specter wants an independent investigation of the Patriots (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/67054)' taping of opposing coaches' signals similar to the Mitchell Report on performance enhancing drugs in baseball.

Specter again criticized the league's handling of the investigation and threatened the possibility of revoking the NFL's antitrust exemption during a news conference Wednesday. The senior Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee met with former New England video assistant Matt Walsh a day earlier.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell indicated he considered the investigation over after meeting with Walsh on Tuesday.

"Everybody pooh-poohs it," Specter said. "It's ridiculous to make that kind of contention."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8137622/Specter-wants-Mitchell-like-investigation

Michael Keller
05-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Senator Specter you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT bring on the investigation . The NFL in the person of Goodell is arrogant & self preserving. Nobody is going to convince me that the spy gate activity did not effect the out come of the games. Why in the hell go through all the trouble if it would not impact the game. Again I was shocked when Bill Cowher said it did not effect the game's outcome.

stillers4me
05-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Senator Specter you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT bring on the investigation . The NFL in the person of Goodell is arrogant & self preserving. Nobody is going to convince me that the spy gate activity did not effect the out come of the games. Why in the hell go through all the trouble if it would not impact the game. Again I was shocked when Bill Cowher said it did not effect the game's outcome.

Bill Cowher was, is and always will be a Pittsburgh Steeler. Like Rooney and Tomlin, he has too much class to ever whine about something that happened in the past. He told his players, don't worry about what the refs call, you can't change it. Good teams will over come bad calls. (and obviously arrogant, cheating bastards, as well).

If an investigation brings out more evidence of what everybody already knows, hallelujah. Bring it on! :drink:

Dino 6 Rings
05-14-2008, 01:48 PM
I'd rather not see this cloud hang over the sport I love. Congress doesn't need to get involved, this needs to be settled old school playground style. When you find a kid cheating in backyard football, everyone jumps on him and kicks his ass. The other teams in the league need to Man Up and collectively pound the NE Pats back into the days of its past when it was a laughing stock of the league.

DACEB
05-14-2008, 01:55 PM
I'd rather not see this cloud hang over the sport I love. Congress doesn't need to get involved, this needs to be settled old school playground style. When you find a kid cheating in backyard football, everyone jumps on him and kicks his ass. The other teams in the league need to Man Up and collectively pound the NE Pats back into the days of its past when it was a laughing stock of the league.

As much as I would love to see Belicheat kicked out of the league, I have to agree with Dino. It's time to let this rest. New rules and procedures were put in place to try to prevent this type of thing in the future. The Patsies will always be tainted.

fansince'76
05-14-2008, 02:05 PM
As much as I would love to see Belicheat kicked out of the league, I have to agree with Dino. It's time to let this rest. New rules and procedures were put in place to try to prevent this type of thing in the future. The Patsies will always be tainted.

:iagree: Time to let it drop. Congress has bigger fish to fry, and anybody who isn't a RW&B Kool-Aid slugging Pats* ballwasher knows the real deal.

steeler43pa
05-14-2008, 02:14 PM

I was shocked also, however the commish is probably bound by what the owners want. They do want this to simply go away. They cannot afford this to go any further. It is going to now with an Independent investigation. I worry that the NFL and our beloved game is going to be tarnished. Well hell it looks like it has been since 2000 anyway. WE as Steelers fans were robbed by their cheating.

stillers4me
05-14-2008, 02:18 PM
The Herald issued a front-page apology today for its story citing an anonymous source who said the Patriots videotaped the Rams’ 2002 Super Bowl walk-through, saying, “While the Boston Herald based its Feb. 2, 2008, report on sources that it believed to be credible, we now know that this report was false, and that no tape of the walkthrough ever existed.”

Kraft was asked about that apology today, and he sounded relieved and not litigious.

“I must compliment the Boston Herald for doing what is unprecedented in terms of recognizing their error in a major way,” Kraft told the Associated Press. “I’m really delighted with that, but I wish it never happened.”

Kraft added, “I think I speak for all Patriot fans. We’re relieved that this is over and you see that this is nonsense and we were unfairly accused and we’re moving on. … The erroneous story really led to a second round of inquisitions after September, and it really was a distraction. The sad part [is] that it took away from an 18-0 Super Bowl season.”
Kraft’s comments came before Sen. Arlen Specter said he wants an independent investigation of the Patriots’ taping activities; a Patriots spokesman said the team had no immediate response to Specter’s suggestion.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Hey, Buddy........your team's record was 18-1*. I guess if you can't cheat, it doesn't count?

fansince'76
05-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Kraft added, “I think I speak for all Patriot fans. We’re relieved that this is over and you see that this is nonsense and we were unfairly accused and we’re moving on...."

:bs: Well, that's just it, isn't it? You were NOT unfairly accused - your coach cheated, was caught red-handed doing so, and you tacitly accepted that cheating by rewarding him with a sizable extension. It's the bullshit, holier-than-thou, self-righteous indignation of these assclowns and their idiot bandwagon-hopping fans that pisses me off more than anything else. :mad:

HometownGal
05-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Kraft added, “I think I speak for all Patriot fans. We’re relieved that this is over and you see that this is nonsense and we were unfairly accused and we’re moving on. … The erroneous story really led to a second round of inquisitions after September, and it really was a distraction. The sad part [is] that it took away from an 18-0 Super Bowl season.”

:jerkit::jerkit::jerkit:

http://www.k9yk.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/assclown_1.jpg

stlrtruck
05-14-2008, 02:55 PM
It's not over. Any time a patriots* fan wants to talk about it to another fan, IT will show it's ugly head and the one word that will shut them up..

ASTERIK!

Or in a nutshell, "What happened when you couldn't use video tape? Oh, yeah, 18-1!"

TackleMeBen
05-14-2008, 03:13 PM
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd230/bobert_051/roger-goodell_296x222.jpg

The New England Patriots DID NOT cheat!!
p.s. thanks mr kraft, for that personal check

stillers4me
05-14-2008, 03:16 PM
We should go to as many other fan boards as we can and suggest they all hold up huge posters with asterisks on them every time the Pats* run out on the field on their away games. Watching entire stadiums filled with asterisks on national tv would be hilarious!!!!!!!!!!! Not to mention completely embarrassing for the network covering the game.

TackleMeBen
05-14-2008, 03:27 PM
We should go to as many other fan boards as we can and suggest they all hold up huge posters with asterisks on them every time the Pats* run out on the field on their away games. Watching entire stadiums filled with asterisks on national tv would be hilarious!!!!!!!!!!! Not to mention completely embarrassing for the network covering the game.
:iagree:

steelymcmatt
05-14-2008, 03:32 PM

Unless you are the president of the United States testifying about getting a b*** j** while on the phone with the joint chiefs discussing sending our troops into harm's way!:wave:

steelymcmatt
05-14-2008, 04:05 PM
:drink: I haven't posted yet regarding the Patriots and the whole spygate thing, but here's my .02.

1. Teams steal signals on a weekly basis. I'm sure we have someone trying to steal signals. Stealing signals is NOT illegal. What IS illegal is TAPING an opponent's sidelines. THAT is what the Patriots got punished for......nothing more, nothing less!

2. I don't care if it helped the Patriots, not that game, not the next game, not ever. It doesn't matter. All that matters is that the PATRIOTS cheated by taping an opponent's sidelines and they were punished for it.

3. As previously stated the Patriots were punished, and I believe punished severely, for what they did. Should Belicheat have been suspended....maybe. However, the punishment of losing a 1st round draft pick is more damaging longterm than losing their coach for a couple games. I would've preferred a 2-4 game suspension and the loss of their 1st round pick then the monetary fine, but I don't hate Goodell for going the way he did.

4. Some want the Patriots stripped of their titles, but UNLESS AND UNTIL we see something else, I think that's way extreme for the offense committed. The bottom line is, even though there will never be an "official" asterik going forward, there will be one in the hearts and minds of football fans everywhere (even in Boston, although they may not admit it!)

5. As a Pennsylvanian I would like to apologize for the actions of my senior Senator. He is an EMBARRASSMENT to the good citizens of Pennsylvania. First of all, this is not any more the business of the US government than it would be if I broke a company policy of my employer. Secondly, he himself states that there was nothing new in the Walsh tapes/interview, but claims there are still questions left unanswered. Basically he's asking the NFL to prove a negative....that there is nothing more to this story; and he's going to drag the NFL through the mud doing it. I understand that given his current health Senator Specter is trying to leave a legacy, however this is the wrong way to go about it. Hopefully he'll realize that before this goes too far and finds a way out to bow out gracefully, but I doubt it.

Elvis
05-14-2008, 04:44 PM
If Goodell is not going to do anything else to the patriots, then why keep this stupid thing going like this?!!
I am very sick of the whole thing and I wish they would just forget about the whole thing and slap them on the wrist and just move on to more important things
:mad:

Texasteel
05-14-2008, 05:53 PM
I'm not sick of it. For years we have had this low rent team shoved in our faces. The greatest team ever, what a class team and organization, the coach is a genius. Now we find the team is the greatest at sneaking in back doors, the organization is guttless, and the coach just found a better way to cheat. Not to mention the fact that the NFL would rather pretend that this didn't matter and it was no big deal, just to protect their sacred COW of a team, or maybe that should be BULL____.

Sorry, I when away for a minute, but I'm back now.

TackleMeBen
05-14-2008, 06:12 PM
:drink: I haven't posted yet regarding the Patriots and the whole spygate thing, but here's my .02.

2. I don't care if it helped the Patriots, not that game, not the next game, not ever. It doesn't matter. All that matters is that the Steelers cheated by taping an opponent's sidelines and they were punished for it

um did i miss something???last time i heard, it was the patriots that cheated, not the steelers?? i didnt know we lost draft picks and coach tomlin and mr rooney was fined??? (looking for that memo)

tony hipchest
05-14-2008, 06:19 PM
um did i miss something???last time i heard, it was the patriots that cheated, not the steelers?? i didnt know we lost draft picks and coach tomlin and mr rooney was fined??? (looking for that memo)i think steeleymcmatts sentence is pretty easilly accepted as a simple typo or lost train of thought while typing.

everybody knows the steelers didnt cheat and were on the receiving end of "crygate" and the desperate video shennanigans.

HometownGal
05-14-2008, 06:45 PM
http://i.pbase.com/v3/03/498903/1/46635326.BoxofRocksWhite.jpg

steelymcmatt
05-14-2008, 09:39 PM
:doh: :banging: :blush: :redface: :footinmou: sorry::ididwhat:

I CAN'T BELIEVE I DID THAT....I'D CHOP MY HANDS OFF FOR THEIR BLASPHEMY, BUT IT WOULD BE DIFFICULT TO TYPE THIS POST AND OFFER MY MOST SINCERE APOLOGIES FOR MY OFFENSE. OBVIOUSLY THIS WAS A TYPO, AND MY EDITOR AT THE BOSTON HERALD DID NOT VERIFY MY SOURCE! I HOPE YOU CAN FIND IT IN YOUR HEART TO FORGIVE THIS HUMBLE DRAFT PROSPECT!!!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
05-14-2008, 09:52 PM
I dont see why he has anything to do with it.............Its the NFL..........That is not in his job description!

Petesburgh66
05-14-2008, 10:55 PM
I'm not sick of it. For years we have had this low rent team shoved in our faces. The greatest team ever, what a class team and organization, the coach is a genius. Now we find the team is the greatest at sneaking in back doors, the organization is guttless, and the coach just found a better way to cheat. Not to mention the fact that the NFL would rather pretend that this didn't matter and it was no big deal, just to protect their sacred COW of a team, or maybe that should be BULL____.

Sorry, I when away for a minute, but I'm back now.

100% agree.

Galax Steeler
05-15-2008, 03:49 AM

I CAN'T BELIEVE I DID THAT....I'D CHOP MY HANDS OFF FOR THEIR BLASPHEMY, BUT IT WOULD BE DIFFICULT TO TYPE THIS POST AND OFFER MY MOST SINCERE APOLOGIES FOR MY OFFENSE. OBVIOUSLY THIS WAS A TYPO, AND MY EDITOR AT THE BOSTON HERALD DID NOT VERIFY MY SOURCE! I HOPE YOU CAN FIND IT IN YOUR HEART TO FORGIVE THIS HUMBLE DRAFT PROSPECT!!!

We might forgive you this time.:drink:

The Patriot
05-15-2008, 05:09 AM

Hey, that might feel almost as good as winning.

fansince'76
05-15-2008, 05:12 AM
Hey, that might feel almost as good as winning.

Yup, that win in SB XLII was mighty impressive, all right. :yawn:

Kraft added, “....The sad part [is] that it took away from an 18-0 Super Bowl season.”

Just deny that it ever happened, right? Keep drinking that RW&B Kool-Aid. :coffee:

HometownGal
05-15-2008, 08:17 AM

No problem, steely. Anyone with a fraction of a brain cell knew what you meant. :drink:

lilyoder6
05-15-2008, 09:11 AM
i glad spector is doing something about it.. right now this is the biggest problem in the nfl it needs to be dealt w/ and a slap on the wrist isn't shit.. i agree w/ evryone else that 4 the past yrs all i heard is how the pats are so great there and there and that.. i didn't see the steelers, 49er's and cowboys dynasties ever cheat to win...

BettisFan
05-15-2008, 10:52 AM
i really hope specter can change the way this is going, it wouldnt be right for the pats not to be punished, goodell sucks as a comish

Dino 6 Rings
05-15-2008, 11:17 AM
i really hope specter can change the way this is going, it wouldnt be right for the pats not to be punished, goodell sucks as a comish

Technically, Goodell inherited this issue. He's doing what he can to save the integrety of the league as a whole without having a "Black Sox" type issue destroy the sport for years.

Goodell can only go with the info he gets. He didn't get a walkthrough tape (at least as far as we know) so he can't punish them for something he has no evidence of. I'm not defending him, I'm just trying to look at it with emotion taken out.

BettisFan
05-15-2008, 11:21 AM
Technically, Goodell inherited this issue. He's doing what he can to save the integrety of the league as a whole without having a "Black Sox" type issue destroy the sport for years.

Goodell can only go with the info he gets. He didn't get a walkthrough tape (at least as far as we know) so he can't punish them for something he has no evidence of. I'm not defending him, I'm just trying to look at it with emotion taken out.

Yea but he got all these videos that are proof they have been taping for years, the nfl should do what the ncaa does which is take away the wins of the games they cheated in, meaning the AFC Champ game they cheated in against the steelers should be taken away meaning that superbowl ring should be taken away. Thats the right thing to do.

Dino 6 Rings
05-15-2008, 11:24 AM
Yea but he got all these videos that are proof they have been taping for years, the nfl should do what the ncaa does which is take away the wins of the games they cheated in, meaning the AFC Champ game they cheated in against the steelers should be taken away meaning that superbowl ring should be taken away. Thats the right thing to do.

They were punished for those "crimes" already, that was what the fine and the loss of a first round draft pick was for. The right thing to do is to move on, unless new evidence is made available. Move on and knock their teeth out on the field of battle, um...field of play...next season.

I will not cry about our losses or blame the losses on cheating. I will watch the issue, look for new developments and focus on my team and how we are going to improve in the 08 season.

stlrtruck
05-15-2008, 12:42 PM
They may have been punished for those crimes but the commish should have done more than he did....that's what has made the whole ordeal as big as it is now.

He didn't have the balls to suspend the media darling partriots* coach or take a harder stance like he did against the players and the coach who got suspended for HGH use - and he can't do it now.

The commish has put a black eye on the league.

fansince'76
05-15-2008, 12:47 PM
They may have been punished for those crimes but the commish should have done more than he did....that's what has made the whole ordeal as big as it is now.

He didn't have the balls to suspend the media darling partriots* coach or take a harder stance like he did against the players and the coach who got suspended for HGH use - and he can't do it now.

The commish has put a black eye on the league.

Not to mention destroying evidence and then in so many words saying "there was nothing more worth mentioning on those tapes and they really weren't worth keeping, because, well, I say so." During this entire affair, Goodell has had all the credibility of Richard Nixon circa 1973. But that's OK - there's a permanent and well-deserved stain on that franchise - at least to anybody who chooses not to blindly drink the RW&B Kool-Aid, anyway.

stlrtruck
05-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Not to mention destroying evidence and then in so many words saying "there was nothing more worth mentioning on those tapes and they really weren't worth keeping, because, well, I say so." During this entire affair, Goodell has had all the credibility of Richard Nixon circa 1973. But that's OK - there's a permanent and well-deserved stain on that franchise - at least to anybody who chooses not to blindly drink the RW&B Kool-Aid, anyway.

AMEN!

(can we get a smiley with an AMEN sign?)

lilyoder6
05-15-2008, 01:29 PM
goddell slapped them on the wrist..honestly fining a franchise what 500,000 rly hurts them. since they can dish out millions in contracts.. and the loss of the 1st rd was alright but they still had the #7 pick.. they should of been punished more severe..

i mean goddell is punishing players severly 4 getting into trouble so y is he not doing the saem towards the pats and the coach???

HughC
05-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Is there anyone else besides me that was disappointed in Specter's press conference? There were a few times that I thought he came across like a rambling, bumbling fool. What was that with the hurry up offense? I would rather he didn't even bring up the Steelers and Eagles, it sounded like he was a fan complaining about a ref's call and he wanted a Senate investigation to get the call reversed for his favorite team.

The Patriot
05-18-2008, 09:26 PM
Is there anyone else besides me that was disappointed in Specter's press conference? There were a few times that I thought he came across like a rambling, bumbling fool. What was that with the hurry up offense? I would rather he didn't even bring up the Steelers and Eagles, it sounded like he was a fan complaining about a ref's call and he wanted a Senate investigation to get the call reversed for his favorite team.
They only like analyzing one side of the argument. Nobody here knew who Specter and Walsh were three months ago but all of a sudden they're old time friends. Anything to take down your rival I suppose. :wink02:

stlrtruck
05-19-2008, 08:29 AM
You know this is no longer about the patriots* and their blatant defiance of league rules or the integrity of the game but instead this is now about the new commissioner and his lack of consistency, his lack of respect for the 31 other teams, the integrity of the league, and more important his lack of respect for the fans!

The Patriot
05-19-2008, 01:30 PM
You know this is no longer about the patriots* and their blatant defiance of league rules or the integrity of the game but instead this is now about the new commissioner and his lack of consistency, his lack of respect for the 31 other teams, the integrity of the league, and more important his lack of respect for the fans!
That doesn't mean you should blindly follow the first guy who finds a barrel to stand on.

fansince'76
05-19-2008, 01:32 PM
That doesn't mean you should blindly follow the first guy who finds a barrel to stand on.

Coming from someone who has drunk himself blind with the RW&B Kool-Aid. Hypocrisy, anyone?

HometownGal
05-19-2008, 01:32 PM

Why not? Don't you Cheatsies* fans hop on the first bandwagon that comes down the avenue? :chuckle:

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-19-2008, 01:38 PM

Says the man looking up at Belicheat on his barrel...surrounded by a crowd of fans with price tags still hanging off their jerseys:doh:

lilyoder6
05-19-2008, 01:54 PM
i think ppl knew who spector was since he is in the govn...

one side of the arguement??? the pats cheated what else is there to discuss on that side???

fansince'76
05-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Says the man looking up at Belicheat on his barrel...surrounded by a crowd of fans with price tags still hanging off their jerseys:doh:

All hail The Lawd of the Rings* (and Lies, and Videotape)!!!!!

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/KingBeliprick.jpg

:nw: :nw: :nw: :nw: :nw: :nw:

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

stlrtruck
05-19-2008, 02:14 PM

I'm not following anyone. Personally I think Specter should have had his committee formed when they found out that the commish burnt the first series of tapes, the gov't could have called Walsh in to the frey.

Instead we get slow play which if one were to take the commish seriously that he wanted an end to it only breathes more conspiracy. Why did it take so long? Maybe Kraft was finding his check book? Maybe the commish couldn't get back from NE fast enough to finalize the deal?

Even a blind man could see that the series of events that took place are crooked.

The Patriot
05-19-2008, 05:41 PM
i think ppl knew who spector was since he is in the govn...

one side of the arguement??? the pats cheated what else is there to discuss on that side???

Just because you punched a guy doesn't mean you shot him too.

The Patriot
05-19-2008, 05:49 PM
I'm not following anyone. Personally I think Specter should have had his committee formed when they found out that the commish burnt the first series of tapes, the gov't could have called Walsh in to the frey.

Instead we get slow play which if one were to take the commish seriously that he wanted an end to it only breathes more conspiracy. Why did it take so long? Maybe Kraft was finding his check book? Maybe the commish couldn't get back from NE fast enough to finalize the deal?

Even a blind man could see that the series of events that took place are crooked.

If you've been paying attention, Walsh never mentioned anything about a walkthrough. The Boston Herald was the first to come out with that and they later admited it was a rumor that had no credibility. So Kraft would have had to pay off them too. If you're still clinging to the walkthrough scandle then you're just reaching for straws.

Texasteel
05-19-2008, 05:57 PM

Should the person that gets punched thank the guy that punched him because he didn't shot him.

The Patriot
05-19-2008, 08:12 PM
Should the person that gets punched thank the guy that punched him because he didn't shot him.

Who is asking for a thank you?

NJarhead
05-19-2008, 08:26 PM
If you've been paying attention, Walsh never mentioned anything about a walkthrough. The Boston Herald was the first to come out with that and they later admited it was a rumor that had no credibility. So Kraft would have had to pay off them too. If you're still clinging to the walkthrough scandle then you're just reaching for straws.

:bs::link:

The Patriot
05-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Prior to the publication of its Feb. 2, 2008, article, the Boston Herald neither possessed nor viewed a tape of the Rams’ walkthrough before Super Bowl XXXVI, nor did we speak to anyone who had. We should not have published the allegation in the absence of firmer verification.

The Boston Herald regrets the damage done to the team by publication of the allegation, and sincerely apologizes to its readers and to the New England Patriots [team stats]’ owners, players, employees and fans for our error.
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1093898&srvc=patriots&position=1

DACEB
05-20-2008, 06:12 AM
They only like analyzing one side of the argument. Nobody here knew who Specter and Walsh were three months ago but all of a sudden they're old time friends. Anything to take down your rival I suppose. :wink02:

I thought the Patsies have been suffering this indignity for three months (poor Patsies).

We (the fans, the Steelers, the NFL, Specter) didn't do anything to take down the rival. The Patsies and Belicheat did it all to themselves, by themselves.

You sir, and I use that term loosely, have no one to blame but your coach and your organization for the stench that emanates from your franchise. Step out of N.E. and you will see that it is not just fans from Pa. that discount what your team has accomplished, but fans throughout the entire U.S.. If you still disagree, we'll see when the H.O.F. votes are cast for Belicheat.

Texasteel
05-20-2008, 06:20 AM
Who is asking for a thank you?

No, your just telling everyone to forget it ever happened, wipe it from you memory. It didn't really do any thing, yes we were cheating, but we really didn't have to.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-20-2008, 06:28 AM

So your arguement is based on..."We cheated...but we werent smart enough to cheat REAL good"...???:doh:

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-20-2008, 06:36 AM
If you've been paying attention, Walsh never mentioned anything about a walkthrough.... If you're still clinging to the walkthrough scandle then you're just reaching for straws.

Might want to get your facts straight there Skippy...Walsh DID in fact admit to being present during the walkthrough and was questioned by the Patriots staff as to what he saw. No tape existed..but he was watching the Rams red-zone and Special teams plays.

NFL security director Milt Ahlerich asked Walsh what had happened during the walk-through for Super Bowl XXXVI. According to NFL attorney Gregg Levy, Walsh told Goodell that Brian Daboll, who was then the Patriots' receivers coach, asked Walsh what he saw at the Rams' walk-through.
Walsh was in the stadium in his Patriots gear setting up equipment during the walk-through, Goodell said.....Walsh, a former scout, told the coach he saw Marshall Faulk lined up to return a kick and he saw the Rams tight end roll to one side depending on the defensive coverage. Faulk did return a kickoff just before the end of the first half of the game. While there was no tape of the walk-through, Walsh provided some inside information that might have been beneficial to the Patriots.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3394017

The Patriot
05-20-2008, 08:05 AM
Might want to get your facts straight there Skippy...Walsh DID in fact admit to being present during the walkthrough and was questioned by the Patriots staff as to what he saw. No tape existed..but he was watching the Rams red-zone and Special teams plays.

Yes, it was varified that he was there and in team uniform which is completly legal.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-20-2008, 08:45 AM
Yes, it was varified that he was there and in team uniform which is completly legal.

Walsh never mentioned anything about a walkthrough

Sooo...he never mentioned a walkthrough...but also verified he was there? Nice Belispeak.

lilyoder6
05-20-2008, 10:56 AM
in ur case about being shot u can actually prove that u were innocent... in this case the pats were caught w/ there pants down cheating.. so since they were caught cheating, how would "there" "side" of the story be??

sixstringlass
05-20-2008, 09:46 PM
The thing is... I keep hearing how Belicheater* only "misinterpreted" the rules, but... if that's the case, why go so far out of the way to hide that you're doing it? If you believe that what you're doing is okay, then there's no reason to obfuscate it, right?

Secondly, he got letters from the NFL telling him that his "interpretation" was incorrect, and yet he continued.

The fact is, he knew it was wrong, and he did it anyway. If I were the commissioner, I would have barred Belicheater* for a year from football altogether, done the thing with the fines, and made sure that he never was nominated for the HOF. Call me harsh, but cheating is a bazillion times worse than taking steroids or getting arrested, and look what Goodell does to those players.

OneForTheToe
06-17-2008, 02:31 PM
Irked as he may be, it seems that it is over as far as Congress is concerned.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3448051

Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., who threatened a congressional inquiry into the way the National Football League handled its "Spygate" investigation of the New England Patriots' videotaping practices, said he will not seek hearings on the matter, the Philadelphia Daily News reported .......

But he told the newspaper's editorial board on Monday that "I've gone as far as I can" with his office's investigation of the matter.......

I guess Comcast has gotten as much for its money out of Arlen as they are going to get. :wink02:

Look, as I have said before, I agree that the Pats got off easy. At the very least "Belecheat " should have been suspended. I therefore understand the "go get'em" appeal of Arlen's crusdade for so many. However, I still maintain that this was none of Congresses business. Not ever wrong in the country needs a "Lone Ranger "Senator running his own little investigation. Particularly when the Senator leading the charge gets a lot of support from an entity that would like the NFL to lose its Anti-Trust exemption. Not to mention a few other more important issues that Congress could be working on.

But for those Arlen backers never fears he is onto another crusade:

Instead, he said he plans to look into another hot-button issue where sports and politics meet: public financing of sports stadiums.

Specter said taxpayers should not foot the bill for stadium construction for NFL owners, who enjoy an antitrust exemption, according to the report.

Didn’t most every pro team in PA already get their new stadiums? :noidea:

Ahhh old "Pristine bullet" strikes again.

missedgehead
06-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Senator Spygate, er Specter FINALLY gave up the ghost and said today he is giving up. It finally dawned on him that gas is 4 dollars a gallon and people , I am sure in his home state, are losing their homes left and right in the foreclosure crisis. As a football fan, not saying this as a Steeler fan, as a FOOTBALL FAN, I want to say, "la comdia e finita." which translates from the Italian to "The comedy is finished." No wonder alot of countries around the world laugh at us. Here we have a US Senator worrying about a coach, in another state, mind you, stealing signals. All Specter cared about was that the Pats beat his Eagles (if McNabb could tell time, maybe the outcome would have been different perhaps?) and the fact that his biggest constituent , Comcast , is in a dispute with the NFLN. That is the ONLY reason he got involved. I am pretty politically astute so I am pretty aware of most politician's motivations.

As a football fan, I am glad the government is not getting involved. I don't want the same men and women who have messed up this country to mess with my football.

I am not taking sides in this Spygate issue. I am just saying as a football fan that I am tired of hearing about it and I am glad it is O-V-E-R. FINALLY.

Here is the article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3448051

Preacher
06-17-2008, 05:49 PM
The problem is that NFL football has enjoyed anti-trust exemption. As a result, the govt. is ALREADY involved in football.

So it isn't widening the path for Specter or anyone else to wonder about the operations... especially if anti-trust issues are coming up.

If they are making sweetheart deals with one media company (DirecTv), then the govt. HAS TO step in, because the possible resulting monopoly may hurt the consumer in the end. At least, that seems like the theory behind it.

The Patriot
06-17-2008, 07:33 PM
THE END. :grin:

fansince'76
06-17-2008, 08:17 PM
THE END. *

That's better. :thumbsup:

HometownGal
06-17-2008, 08:25 PM
THE END. :grin:

As far as Specter's office goes.

Kraft*, Beliprick* and the Pats* are going to be cajoled and treated like the pariah they are for many seasons to come by every non-Pats* fan in every city they play. In my eyes, that's a huge victory for those of us NFL fans who appreciate the integrity that used to be held in the highest esteem throughout the league until Beliprick*, with Goodell's help, made a mockery of it.

The Patriot
06-17-2008, 08:35 PM
As far as Specter's office goes.

Kraft*, Beliprick* and the Pats* are going to be cajoled and treated like the pariah they are for many seasons to come by every non-Pats* fan in every city they play. In my eyes, that's a huge victory for those of us NFL fans who appreciate the integrity that used to be held in the highest esteem throughout the league until Beliprick*, with Goodell's help, made a mockery of it.

There, you see? Everybody wins. :drink:

tony hipchest
06-17-2008, 08:39 PM
There, you see? Everybody wins. :drink:

especially eli and strahan.

"stomp you out"

LMAO!

:sofunny:

missedgehead
06-17-2008, 10:20 PM
The problem is that NFL football has enjoyed anti-trust exemption. As a result, the govt. is ALREADY involved in football.

So it isn't widening the path for Specter or anyone else to wonder about the operations... especially if anti-trust issues are coming up.

If they are making sweetheart deals with one media company (DirecTv), then the govt. HAS TO step in, because the possible resulting monopoly may hurt the consumer in the end. At least, that seems like the theory behind it.

Well, I just think Senator Magic Bullet Theory just wanted to get his name in the papers. The dude had , like all politicians, an agenda. I think there are bigger issues in this country: a war in both Afghanistan and Iraq, the nuclear problem with Iran, rising gas prices, rising food prices, a home foreclosure crisis, an economy on the verge of a recession , etc, etc, and all this guy can worry about is some coach in another state, mind you stealing signals??? What killed me was when he started using the Steelers saying he "was a Steeler fan." BS. He is an EAGLES fan and everyone knows it. He was using the Steelers because they play in his home state. Why isn't he whining about the infamous "Tuck Rule" game? I will tell you why. The last I looked, the Oakland Raiders are based in CA. I don't see Senator Boxer whining about the "Tuck Rule" game and threatening hearings and threatening to remove the anti trust rules, do you? Senator Comcast is not whining about the Raiders supposedly being "screwed" because they do not play in the state of PA, which he represents....the Steelers and the Iggles do. Specter is PO'd because the Patriots beat his stupid Eagles. LIke I said previously, Had McMoron learned how to tell time, maybe there may have been a different outcome. Like a few Senators said, the NFL can police itself. The NFL DID police itself. Maybe not to everyone's liking but they took care of the matter. I am satisfied as a football fan.

Throughout this whole Spygate thing, I honestly could not have cared less. Was just tired of hearing about it. Sorry if I offend anyone, but I could have cared less one way or the other. Goodell took care of the matter. It should not have been turned into a federal case, both figuratively and literally.

I am just glad this NFL episode is FINALLY dead and buried is all. I don't want to be hearing and talking about it for the rest of my life. JMO.

Peace.

Jeremy
06-18-2008, 08:08 AM
At the end of the day, what should have happened....happened.

Look, I despise the Patriots as much as anyone. They are without a doubt, the slimiest group of people in sports these days. From their blackmailing owner, to their adulterous coach, all the way down to their drug dealing players.

But as much as I hate them, they were being persecuted for no reason. They were cleared by the NFL of wrongdoing. Was it a bad decision? You bet your bottom dollar it was! But unless Congress is serious about pulling their anti-trust exemption, they need to keep this nickel and dime crap out of the equation.

The NFL isn't America's biggest, and the world's second biggest, sports league for no reason. They know how to do business. And be honest with yourself, do you think that thousands of people are going to stop watching the NFL because of this? I doubt it.

The Patriot
06-18-2008, 12:53 PM
especially eli and strahan.

"stomp you out"

LMAO!

:sofunny:

Oh God. Red Sox and Celtics combined can't fill the void.

Dino 6 Rings
06-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Oh God. Red Sox and Celtics combined can't fill the void.

No they can't, only one thing fills that void. Trust me, it took 10 years to fill the void of the 1995 loss to the Cowboys.

The Patriot
06-18-2008, 01:42 PM
No they can't, only one thing fills that void. Trust me, it took 10 years to fill the void of the 1995 loss to the Cowboys.

It'll take longer then that. Goddamn, what a choke job. I'm not even pissed off it's just so cliche. You win every game and then lose to the bum QB of the NFC.

Dino 6 Rings
06-18-2008, 02:11 PM
It'll take longer then that. Goddamn, what a choke job. I'm not even pissed off it's just so cliche. You win every game and then lose to the bum QB of the NFC.

18-0 means nothing if you don't go 19-0, how true that is.

missedgehead
06-18-2008, 03:32 PM
To the Patriot,

It just wasn't their day. I am a huge horse racing fan of 30 years, and I have seen and read about the great race horses like Secretariat losing races to horses they normally would. It reminded me of when the 1985 Georgetown Hoyas lost to I believe Syracuse in the NCAA Men's Finals. The Hoyas were heavily favored, and also very disliked, actually hated. People hated Ewing and the gang. They lost to a team, Syracuse, that BARELY made the tournament. My Giants BARELY made the playoffs. They just got "hot" at the right time. They weren't the "best" team in 2007. The team that wins the Super Bowl generally is the one that is the hottest, and the luckiest, and the team with very few injuries to key starters. I readily admit the Giants were not 2007's best team. However, ON THAT NIGHT, THEY WERE. JMO

Jeremy
06-18-2008, 04:03 PM
To the Patriot,

It just wasn't their day. I am a huge horse racing fan of 30 years, and I have seen and read about the great race horses like Secretariat losing races to horses they normally would. It reminded me of when the 1985 Georgetown Hoyas lost to I believe Syracuse in the NCAA Men's Finals. The Hoyas were heavily favored, and also very disliked, actually hated. People hated Ewing and the gang. They lost to a team, Syracuse, that BARELY made the tournament. My Giants BARELY made the playoffs. They just got "hot" at the right time. They weren't the "best" team in 2007. The team that wins the Super Bowl generally is the one that is the hottest, and the luckiest, and the team with very few injuries to key starters. I readily admit the Giants were not 2007's best team. However, ON THAT NIGHT, THEY WERE. JMO

Villanova...not Syracuse.

The Patriot
06-18-2008, 04:08 PM
To the Patriot,

Don't worry about it. You deserved it.