2)Carl Nicks, OT Nebraska
3)Owen Schmitt, FB West Virginia
4)Shannon Tevaga, OG UCLA
5)Doug Legursky, OC Marshall
6)Martel van Zant, CB Oklahoma State

:banging:

millwalldavey
02-23-2008, 06:37 PM
I think we need to address O-Line first or even corners. D-Line may have to wait until 3rd round.

Mistah_Q
02-23-2008, 06:49 PM
I think we need to address O-Line first or even corners. D-Line may have to wait until 3rd round.I would love to get an elite O-line prospect. But by no means is it the only need, and you can't fall into the trap of limiting your picks to perceived needs.

That said, I would really hate a first round cornerback.

millwalldavey
02-23-2008, 06:55 PM
I'd like Talib in the first if possible

Mistah_Q
02-23-2008, 07:03 PM
I'd like Talib in the first if possibleI wouldn't.

I don't even want Quentin Groves in the first, I think it's a bit of a reach but he's that perfect 3-4 end rusher who can play in the 4-3 as well, Colbert wants flexibility, and I try to base my mocks on what I think could happen, not on what I personally want.

With so much talent on both sides of the LOS I think it would be a mistake to draft a RB, WR, CB, unless a very elite talent fell into their laps.

Rhee Rhee
02-23-2008, 10:23 PM
i refuse to take a FB in the 3rd round...

we didnt even use carey davis at all... what's the difference with owen schmidt?

Mistah_Q
02-23-2008, 10:37 PM
i refuse to take a FB in the 3rd round...

we didnt even use carey davis at all... what's the difference with owen schmidt?Dan Kreider is nearing the end. Carey Davis was not used because he is not the answer. If we're to try in the slightest to continue the tradition of being a power running team, we need a tough as nails fullback. Schmitt is about all you can ask for in that department. He won't finesse anyone, but he'll plow a path for the RB to go through, for sure.

Rhee Rhee
02-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Dan Kreider is nearing the end. Carey Davis was not used because he is not the answer. If we're to try in the slightest to continue the tradition of being a power running team, we need a tough as nails fullback. Schmitt is about all you can ask for in that department. He won't finesse anyone, but he'll plow a path for the RB to go through, for sure.

carey davis was not used because our gameplan has no need for a FB... with bruce arians coming uup with crazy 3 TE sets i dont see any room for a FB... later in the year we also saw willie parker running with more single back sets...

why would you want to return to a power running team? we're still in the top 10 in rushing every year with willie parker who by no means will be confused with marion barber or JB.... by the way willie parker was about to win a rushing title... if it works don't fix it... obviously willie parker and this new finesse style of play is what got us in the playoffs and what almost got us a win against jax...

i'm all for giving willie parker a running mate but not on the first day...ESPECIALLY not a BLOCKING FB... i honestly don't see the point in wasting a day one pick if we aren't going to use him in any way near the affectiveness that the redskins use chris cooley...

SteelCityMan786
02-23-2008, 11:35 PM
5 of our picks I think go into O or D Linemen. This an O-Line rich draft.

MDSteel15
02-23-2008, 11:50 PM
How about:
1) Brandon Albert, OT/G Virginia
2) Dre Moore, DT Maryland or Red Bryant, DT Texas A&M
3) Dwight Lowery, CB San Jose State
4) Kory Lichtensteiger, C/G Bowling Green
5) Devonne Bess, WR Hawaii or Paul Hubbard, WR Wisconsin or Dexter Jackson, WR/KR Appalachian State
6) Mike Crummy, G Maryland

Preacher
02-24-2008, 12:08 AM
5 of our picks I think go into O or D Linemen. This an O-Line rich draft.

I doubt 5... If we have put money down on two of our lineman already, and have Mahan under contract as we do, I expect two O line picks and 1 D line pick, maybe 3 and 1. From there, they will probably branch out for some long shots. Small school WR's and CB's maybe.

The Duke
02-24-2008, 01:29 AM
Carey Davis was not used because he is not the answer. If we're to try in the slightest to continue the tradition of being a power running team, we need a tough as nails fullback.

sadly, the steelers appear to be moving on from being a power running team, and Davis apparently is the answer for this new offense, he said it himself, it's gonna be hard for someone to take his job away from him

I don't like Davis, but I'll give the guy a chance,if he's what the steelers coaching staff wants then I'll have to learn to like him

so yeah, it's really really doubtful they take a fullback in the draft

millwalldavey
02-24-2008, 09:33 AM
How about:
5) Devonne Bess, WR Hawaii

I thought about him too... kinda small... could end up a KR...

Mistah_Q
02-24-2008, 10:23 AM
I thought about him too... kinda small... could end up a KR...If we can pick up a good kick returner late in the draft, I'm all for it :cheers:

lilyoder6
02-24-2008, 10:46 AM
i would say 2 o-loneman and 2 d-line draft pocks... then we would look at wr, cb and lb...

the rb from furman had 30 reps and he is strong and could be there late in the draft and could possibly be a steal..

Mistah_Q
02-24-2008, 11:22 AM
If he is available I don't mind Jonathan Stewart.

I don't like Mendenhall though, he seems to have good burst and forward mobility, but isn't much of a tackle breaker, occasionally he'll bowl through for an extra yard or two once his speed is up but all too often the weakest looking tackles bring him down. Look at most of his huge plays, his line blew him open a lane I could drive a dumptruck through, then he goes down to a weak tackle.

Maybe Illinois' offensive linemen are underrated in that respect. . hmm.

BigBen403
02-24-2008, 01:02 PM
I know it's not exciting to talk about taking OL and DL but we ned to get younger in those areas. Besides the base or a team starts with the lines up front. After we address those glaring needs should be start to look at addressing some other needs. I tall reciever would be nice but Ben has done just fine with Hines and Holmes, plus we have 2 huge TE's. If we could pick up a change of pace RB to compliment Willie in later rounds that would be great...

Jeremy
02-24-2008, 01:06 PM
Why are you so opposed to a cornerback in the first round? A guy like Antoine Cason from Arizona would not only step in as the second or third best corner on the team, but would also be the return man so many fans have been dying to get.

I just don't understand fans who think the Steelers corners are great. It's an average group that could use an upgrade.

Also, never draft a fullback. You can pick up a good fullback as an UDFA. Schmidt is good, but he's not even close to being good enough for a third round pick.

Rhee Rhee
02-24-2008, 06:30 PM
I thought about him too... kinda small... could end up a KR...

as much as i love him for helping the warriors out soo much i didnt think he was a 4.69 runner... apparently thats waht he ran... and i'm getting woried his stock is gonna plummet...

Rhee Rhee
02-24-2008, 06:31 PM
we could pick up a change of pace RB to compliment Willie in later rounds that would be great...

u mean a bruiser right? like a marion barber or brandon jacobs.... if only marion was a UFA...

MDSteel15
02-24-2008, 10:05 PM
as much as i love him for helping the warriors out soo much i didnt think he was a 4.69 runner... apparently thats waht he ran... and i'm getting woried his stock is gonna plummet...

Sweet!! Free Agent then..... :cheers:

lilyoder6
02-24-2008, 10:16 PM
we are going to have to find a rb to help willie run the ball if we want willie to last longer during the season/career..

Rhee Rhee
02-25-2008, 02:54 AM
Sweet!! Free Agent then..... :cheers:

Exactly what i'm hoping for! :tt02:

Rhee Rhee
02-25-2008, 02:55 AM
we are going to have to find a rb to help willie run the ball if we want willie to last longer during the season/career..

forte is going to be reached on by some team... i'd rather not take him... i'm sure there will be some value through FA...

Mistah_Q
02-25-2008, 09:24 AM
we are going to have to find a rb to help willie run the ball if we want willie to last longer during the season/career..Probably not, but I'm hoping that Gary Russell starts fulfilling his potential this year. :tt02:

There were none better at plowing through people in college, then you all know the story, his sophomore year he was the starter ahead of Laurence Maroney on the depth chart, 6.1 ypc, 1130 yds 18 TDs, projecting to be an eventual first or second rounder, but failed out of college (I don't know if "failed" is right, but he did bad enough to be academically ineligible to return to school) kicked off the team and didn't get to play his junior season, after that year he declared for the NFL draft. Showed up for last year's comine out of shape.

Steelers took a chance signing him as an UDFA after last year's draft, and he showed up to camp in awesome shape, and worked very hard. Looked good in camp, looked great in the preseason. . . and then didn't get a real shot to show anything during the regular season.

So yeah, I might be wearing rose-colored glasses, and I acknowledge there's a small chance of it working out, but the answer could be right under our noses here in Gary Russell.

MDSteel15
02-25-2008, 08:40 PM
Probably not, but I'm hoping that Gary Russell starts fulfilling his potential this year. :tt02:

:cheers: :jammin: :banana: :thumbsup: :tt02: :iagree:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-25-2008, 08:47 PM
I'm fine with Russell. He just never got a chance last season.

I'm more in favour of upgrading Carey Davis. Not that great of a blocker, not a nifty runner but can play special teams. Any rookie DB, LB or WR can play ST and be a below average blocker.

Preacher
02-25-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm fine with Russell. He just never got a chance last season.

I'm more in favour of upgrading Carey Davis. Not that great of a blocker, not a nifty runner but can play special teams. Any rookie DB, LB or WR can play ST and be a below average blocker.

Actually... Davis ran pretty dang well in the game against the Rams.

I say we stick with our RB's this year, and focus on line... and a WR if one comes up.

Rhee Rhee
02-25-2008, 11:34 PM
Actually... Davis ran pretty dang well in the game against the Rams.

I say we stick with our RB's this year, and focus on line... and a WR if one comes up.

najeh ran all over that defense...

i wouldn't praise him juuuuust yet

steelymcmatt
03-05-2008, 06:30 AM
Why are you so opposed to a cornerback in the first round? A guy like Antoine Cason from Arizona would not only step in as the second or third best corner on the team, but would also be the return man so many fans have been dying to get.

I just don't understand fans who think the Steelers corners are great. It's an average group that could use an upgrade.

Also, never draft a fullback. You can pick up a good fullback as an UDFA. Schmidt is good, but he's not even close to being good enough for a third round pick.

I REALLY like what I've seen from Rodgers-Cromartie. I think he'll be gone by the time it comes to us, but if he lasts past 15 or so I think we may trade up to get him. He would be an excellent tandem with Moore on special teams, and I think he has the speed to be a shut down corner.

Elvis
03-05-2008, 05:29 PM
I'd like Talib in the first if possible
I agree with ya bud. He would be a great pick, but if there is an elite OT left for us at 23 it would be hard for me to pick a DE or DB first. Gosder Cherilus at OT would be a great pick for us if we keep Max Starks and put him at LOT. But Chris Williams is a solid LOT that would be better for us I think. I also dont agree with a FB being drafted that early, but its just your opinion and you are entitled to it brother...
:thumbsup:

Elvis
03-05-2008, 05:31 PM
:cheers: :jammin: :banana: :thumbsup: :tt02: :iagree:
Agreed..
:thumbsup:

Steel Buckeye
03-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Here is my Steelers mock draft

Round 1-OG Branden Albert, Virginia. With a replacement for Faneca, the Steelers can move Kendall Simmons to C, Kemo can play RG, and a RT can be drafted in a later round.

Round 2-CB Antoine Cason, Arizona. I know it's a long shot, but the Steelers could trade up and fill 2 major needs, CB and returner, if Cason falls to round 2.

Round 3-DE Kendall Langford, Hampton. We all saw what happened when Aaron Smith got injured. Would be a capable backup and future starter.

Round 4-RT Kirk Barton, Ohio State. IMO the most underrated player in this draft. I think he would be a good fit for the Steelers. Barton ran a 4.95 40 and put up an impressive 34 reps on the bench press.

Round 5-WR Adarius Bowman, Oklahoma State. Ben wants a tall receiver, and can get one if Bowman falls this far.

Round 6-C Fernando Velasco, Georgia. Would be a good backup to whoever will start at center in 2008. We all know how well Mahan worked out. Velasco also played guard.

Aussie_steeler
03-15-2008, 09:39 PM
Here is my Steelers mock draft

Round 1-OG Branden Albert, Virginia. With a replacement for Faneca, the Steelers can move Kendall Simmons to C, Kemo can play RG, and a RT can be drafted in a later round.

Round 2-CB Antoine Cason, Arizona. I know it's a long shot, but the Steelers could trade up and fill 2 major needs, CB and returner, if Cason falls to round 2.

Round 3-DE Kendall Langford, Hampton. We all saw what happened when Aaron Smith got injured. Would be a capable backup and future starter.

Round 4-RT Kirk Barton, Ohio State. IMO the most underrated player in this draft. I think he would be a good fit for the Steelers. Barton ran a 4.95 40 and put up an impressive 34 reps on the bench press.

Round 5-WR Adarius Bowman, Oklahoma State. Ben wants a tall receiver, and can get one if Bowman falls this far.

Round 6-C Fernando Velasco, Georgia. Would be a good backup to whoever will start at center in 2008. We all know how well Mahan worked out. Velasco also played guard.

I like a lot of what you have got here. I think you are almost reading my mind at the moment except for Cason. I was thinking of putting up another mock but it would look to similar to yours.

I agree Cason goes higher so we would have to give up picks later to get him.

I relly like the look of Albert in the first. I think we might have to go DT/DE in round 2 and CB in round 3.

Like 4, 5 & 6 as well. Bowman, in my mind would be well worth it at that pick. I think he could well go higher.

Good job:thumbsup: I may have to rethink my next mock or I will get done for plagiarism of this mock.

Rhee Rhee
03-16-2008, 05:09 AM
1. Brandon Albert OG

2. Carl Nicks/Heath Benedict/King Dunlap All OT's

3. Kendall Langford DE

4. Darnell Terrell CB

5. Tommy Blake DE/OLB

6. Marcus Monk WR/Darius Reynaud WR/Doug Legursky C/Jacob Hester FB/ Jamie Silva S

i had trouble finding a returner in the later rounds other than reynaud... and even reynaud i dont think will be there in the 6th...

Elvis
03-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Everyone has their on thoughts on this draft thing dont we?.. makes this all the more fun to talk about to me. I think that the steelers must get OLine and DLine help first and foremost. Then in the later rounds maybe like the 3rd - 5th I think that it would be nice to add a Jeremy Leman a ILB from Illinois. We are getting old at the MLB spot and he could go along way to improve that and give Timmons a partner for the next 10 or 12 years.
:tt02:

Mistah_Q
03-24-2008, 11:44 PM
Here's one I wrote up earlier on a different board, might as well share it:

1. Dan Connor, ILB, Penn State
Hold the WTFs. . a run on OL/CBs, and he's as good as ours. . and as it is right now, Farrior's past his prime, Foote is a way overpriced backup, all else we have is Timmons who. . fine, but isn't he an OLB anyways? Further that, when we play in 4-3 packages, we're looking at roughly what,

.............ROLB Harrison.............MLB Foote?!...............LOLB Timmons....................
..RDE Keisel.................DT Smith...............NT Hampton...................LDE Woodley....

Yeah I didn't put Farrior, wasn't sure whether to hit MLB or LOLB with him, but regardless, what's the glaring weakness here?

2. Chilo Rachal, OG, USC
Because Hartwig can be as good as he wants, it won't matter if he has to take on one and a half and a half (yes, 1 +.5 +.5) guys. . . As much as I'm not happy with the Tackle situation, the Guard situation is imminently worse, and on top of that, getting Rachal here would be real nice value.

3. Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa
While the Steelers could use another CB, their current situation allows for them to take someone like Godfrey, who has the intangibles but is a bit raw. Also has experience at Safety, and has a lot of potential/upside. A nice grab here.

4. Kendall Langford, DL, Hampton
This seems to be the popular pick for Pittsburgh's fourth rounder, but it's hard to argue with, especially not going with a DE early. He has that coveted 'Versatility' and can play DE in the 3-4, or DT in the 4-3, it seems. A lot of you have him going in the 3rd to us, but I don't think he goes in the third.

5. Geoff Schwartz, OT, Oregon
Schwartz might or might not end up being able to play right tackle because of his footwork, but I think in that case he'll be a fine right guard, he's a straight up mauler who supposedly can pass block too. May the Schwartz be with youuuu. . .

6. Todd Blythe, WR, Iowa State
Ben would like a tall WR. Blythe would like a real QB. Doesn't have the speed you want but we have guys for that. . he'll go up and make a catch, and some blocks while he's at it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-25-2008, 08:52 AM
Q, the pick makes sense if we go cover 2, 4-3. But I then see a lot of better options than Langford for a 4-3DT, might be able to trade up in the 2nd and get Trevor Laws.

I was thinking that Schwartz is an interesting late round pick, but he's too slow of foot for screen passes at guard. If he has technique then what the heck, maybe he can play RT.

You may be right, but man I would be afraid if we left O line until the 5th round.

SteelerFanInATL
03-25-2008, 05:39 PM
1)Quentin Groves, DE Auburn
2)Carl Nicks, OT Nebraska
3)Owen Schmitt, FB West Virginia
4)Shannon Tevaga, OG UCLA
5)Doug Legursky, OC Marshall
6)Martel van Zant, CB Oklahoma State

:banging:

A 3rd round pick on a FB? :jawdrop: I DON'T THINK SO!!

SteelersTilIDie
03-27-2008, 03:04 PM
I'd say-
1. Branden Albert, OG Virgina
Good 1st round prospect, lost Faneca, and G is a major hole that needs filled in our OLINE
2. Justin King, CB Penn State
CB is a big need for the steelers, he will probably play nickel for his first year or so, but will quickly be integrated into the system, very underachieving in college, amazing high school recruit.
3. Earl Bennett, WR Vanderbilt
relatively tall target at 6'0, physical, and very fast at 4.48, exactly what we need if washington leaves, even though trannon was signed
4. Anthony Collins, OT Kansas
Offensive line was terrible last year, this is for depth, was once rated as a 3rd round pick, but underachieved at combine, which is not actually football
5. Owen Schmitt, FB West Virginia
May fall this far because of position, very good talent, insane in a good way, tough, big enough to block and carry on goalline
6. Rudolph Hardie, DE Howard
Very underrated because attends small school, fast for position at 4.76, physical, size parameters match up with position at over 6'3, 280

Texasteel
03-27-2008, 04:08 PM
1. Brandon Albert OG

2. Carl Nicks/Heath Benedict/King Dunlap All OT's

3. Kendall Langford DE

4. Darnell Terrell CB

5. Tommy Blake DE/OLB

6. Marcus Monk WR/Darius Reynaud WR/Doug Legursky C/Jacob Hester FB/ Jamie Silva S

i had trouble finding a returner in the later rounds other than reynaud... and even reynaud i dont think will be there in the 6th...

You brought up an interesting name at #5. He is staying on his medication, he is working hard to get back into shape, and he had a great pro day. I watched him before his Sr. year melt down and when he has his head on strait, there are very few better. But do you take the chance, and if so, would you take that chance before the 5th round?

lilyoder6
03-27-2008, 04:16 PM
the only bad thing is with u getting king in the 2nd rd is the mayock has him going 27 to the chargers.. i would love to get albert and king 1,2 but that happening is very slim..

tsmartnick
03-28-2008, 06:02 AM
1)aquib talib 2)chilo rachal 3)ray rice 4)dexter jackson 5)ali hghsmith