PDA

View Full Version : James Hardy - 1st RD WR

aclark99
02-23-2008, 11:11 PM
It seems that the Steelers seem to be interested in James Hardy, 6'6" 200lbs and fast. This might be the tall receiver Ben is wishing for - any thoughts?

Mistah_Q
02-23-2008, 11:50 PM
While I like James Hardy, I don't know if he's worth the 23rd selection? (especially if there is an elite lineman available, time will tell that story though) If they traded down a little, picking up an extra 3rd rounder maybe, and after him made a run on linemen, then I'd be cool with it.

Mistah_Q
02-24-2008, 12:03 AM
On a related note, a tall guy I like late in the draft is Todd Blythe, doesn't have the speed you want but good hands, good blocker, smart player. . the next Weegie Thompson

Rhee Rhee
02-24-2008, 12:35 AM
not in the first...

if he's there in the second and rachal and scheuning have been picked then what the hell go for it..

lilyoder6
02-24-2008, 12:04 PM
yeah.. todd blythe from iowa state... if todd would have had a beeter off scheme from the new head coach he would have had a very nice season

Jeremy
02-24-2008, 12:07 PM
He's not a good value in the first round. But the Steelers have done things that surprised me in the past in the draft (trading too much for Santonio Holmes), so I guess we'll see.

Dino 6 Rings
02-25-2008, 12:44 PM
He's not a good value in the first round. But the Steelers have done things that surprised me in the past in the draft (trading too much for Santonio Holmes), so I guess we'll see.

Holmes is going to be worth what we gave up for him. The guy is good and has done nothing but improve our receiving corp in a major way.

think about it without him...that would be bad. Very bad.

Jeremy
02-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Holmes is going to be worth what we gave up for him. The guy is good and has done nothing but improve our receiving corp in a major way.

think about it without him...that would be bad. Very bad.

I simply think that they could have gotten him, or someone of roughly equal value without trading down.

rbryan
02-25-2008, 01:02 PM
not in the first...

if he's there in the second and rachal and scheuning have been picked then what the hell go for it..

For what its worth I like the looks of that guy too. He's not an overly impressive physical specimen, but plays smart & mean.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-25-2008, 01:11 PM
On a related note, a tall guy I like late in the draft is Todd Blythe, doesn't have the speed you want but good hands, good blocker, smart player. . the next Weegie Thompson

Blythe ran a 4.61...he is a player...but also scored dead last in the shuttle for WR's...which is the true measure of NFL speed.

I like Hardy and wouldnt be hurt if we grabbed him in the first....but if Sweed is still on the board I may have to take him first.

The way this combine is finally starting to settle....there will be a stud OT on the board in the 2nd...and I will continue to pimp Heath Benedict....he had a 5.09 40 (third fastest)....fastest 10 yard (explodes out of his snap)...and highest vertical of all OT's and Guards.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-25-2008, 01:33 PM
I really dont see the OG need. Simmons is signed long term, Colon is a better G than T, Kemo will start and is better now than Rachal or Scheuning anyways and they seemed to think Stapleton was impressive as a reserve.

As far as WR, I really like Jordy Nelson from K. State, but he will likely be gone by the 3rd when we pick and I think we need an OT, DE in the first 2 rounds with a WR or CB that can return kicks in the 3rd. Eddie Royal, Dexter Jackson, Jordy Nelson can all return kicks.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-25-2008, 02:07 PM
I really dont see the OG need. Simmons is signed long term, Colon is a better G than T, Kemo will start and is better now than Rachal or Scheuning anyways and they seemed to think Stapleton was impressive as a reserve.

As far as WR, I really like Jordy Nelson from K. State, but he will likely be gone by the 3rd when we pick and I think we need an OT, DE in the first 2 rounds with a WR or CB that can return kicks in the 3rd. Eddie Royal, Dexter Jackson, Jordy Nelson can all return kicks.

Stapleton will backup at center...our Guard depth is pretty poor. I agree that we need a DE but again I think that we can go in a lot of directions....I do understand where you are coming from though and here is one scenerio without a Guard prospect like you were saying.

1) WR..Hardy/Sweed
2) OT...Benedict
3) CB...Lowery
4) DE..Langford
5) ILB..Lehman
6) S/RS.....Silva/Legania

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I hope the scouting staff has done their homework. I keep hearing this is the deepest OT class in 24 years, but really dont want to go to the end of that depth.

A WR cant catch a pass if Ben is being sacked constantly and Ward, Holmes, Miller are really good receivers if Ben gets protection.

Benedict has some buzz, but this work in the Senior bowl concerns me along with the level of competition.

Heath Benedict hasn’t looked impressive at guard or tackle. At tackle he’s been beaten routinely by speed rushers due to poor footwork and hasn’t been able to manhandle defenders at guard. He can handle the bull rush well and can be a good run blocker at tackle, but needs more help in pass protection. Benedict was one of the sleepers coming into the draft, but is now looking more ordinary by the day.

I'd be more inclined to take Cherilus (BC) Nicks(Neb.), Otah(Pitt) that have proven play in D1 than Benedict. I guess I keep thinking of Jamain Stevens and Mathias Nkwenti failures from small schools.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-25-2008, 03:25 PM
Benedict has some buzz, but this work in the Senior bowl concerns me along with the level of competition.
Heath Benedict hasn’t looked impressive at guard or tackle. At tackle he’s been beaten routinely by speed rushers due to poor footwork and hasn’t been able to manhandle defenders at guard. He can handle the bull rush well and can be a good run blocker at tackle, but needs more help in pass protection. Benedict was one of the sleepers coming into the draft, but is now looking more ordinary by the day.

I'd be more inclined to take Cherilus (BC) Nicks(Neb.), Otah(Pitt) that have proven play in D1 than Benedict. I guess I keep thinking of Jamain Stevens and Mathias Nkwenti failures from small schools.

Where did you get that quote. That is strange, every article I have seen on Benedict has PRAISED his ability at the Senior Bowl....

Indeed. There was a slightly slow start in Monday’s practice, where Benedict let Alabama DE Wallace Gilberry get around him. That was the first matchup with Gilberry. The next three, Benedict stoned him — in a drill that’s more suited to defensive players having the advantage.

Tuesday’s practice saw another solid day in which Benedict slid and moved well, showing off his versatility.

“I am looking to show I am athletic, too, not just a big bully,” he said.

He continued that work, playing with more of a nasty edge on Wednesday. Twice in a row he dominated Mississippi State LB Titus Brown, a speed rusher, and frustrated 245-pound Georgia Tech DE Darrell Robertson twice in a row and caused him to jump offside the third time. His best play of the day was picking up the rush of perhaps the best linebacker down here, USC’s Keith Rivers, and stopping him in his path. That earned a spirited slap of the hand with 49ers OL coach George Warhop.

“Just trying to see who’s the biggest, baddest guy on the field,” he said, grinning and winking. “Hopefully, I am.”

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Senior+Bowl/2008/benedict012508.htm

........he is also now posting freakish numbers at the combine...consistantly in the top of every category he participates in.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-25-2008, 03:54 PM
I cant find the site. I think it was nfldraftscout.com on the first couple days of practice. He didnt stand out to me as much as other OT prospects at Sr. Bowl, but here is the post week comment on CNNSI which is very positive.

Heath Benedict/OL/Newberry: Newberry stood out at both the left and right tackle positions this afternoon. He stopped defenders dead in their tracks on almost every snap and drew the applause of coaches a number of times.

//sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/01/23/risers.sliders2/index.html

Again, I really like game tape and havent seen any from newberry. I hope the steeler scouts do their homework if they do pick him as the small school guys scare me.

in 99 I was yelling Jon Tait!!! at the TV screen when we went for Troy Edwards from La. Tech.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-27-2008, 05:25 AM
I cant find the site. I think it was nfldraftscout.com on the first couple days of practice. He didnt stand out to me as much as other OT prospects at Sr. Bowl, but here is the post week comment on CNNSI which is very positive.

Heath Benedict/OL/Newberry: Newberry stood out at both the left and right tackle positions this afternoon. He stopped defenders dead in their tracks on almost every snap and drew the applause of coaches a number of times.

//sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/01/23/risers.sliders2/index.html

Again, I really like game tape and havent seen any from newberry. I hope the steeler scouts do their homework if they do pick him as the small school guys scare me.

in 99 I was yelling Jon Tait!!! at the TV screen when we went for Troy Edwards from La. Tech.

Agreed...when Edwards showed up for his first Steelers press conference...looking like Flavor Flav...I knew we had a problem.

Steeldude
03-02-2008, 03:25 AM
odd that hardy didn't do the vertical test.