PDA

View Full Version : Watch out Obama and McCain

Borski
02-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Ralph Nader enters presidential race (Ralph Nader enters presidential race)

http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/02/24/nader.politics/art.nader.file.gi.jpg

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Ralph Nader is entering the presidential race as an independent, he announced Sunday.

Ralph Nader is running for president as an independent.

In an interview with NBC's "Meet the Press," the consumer advocate said great changes in U.S. history have come "through little parties that never won any national election."

"Dissent is the mother of ascent," he said. "And in that context I've decided to run for president."

Nader, who turns 74 this week, complained about the "paralysis of the government," which he said is under the control of corporate executives and lobbyists.

It marks his fourth straight White House bid -- fifth if his 1992 write-in campaign is included.

Nader's entry into the race did not come as a surprise to political watchers.

On Sunday, Sen. Barack Obama criticized him. "My sense is that Mr. Nader is somebody who, if you don't listen and adopt all of his policies, thinks you're not substantive," Obama told reporters when asked about Nader's possible candidacy.

"He seems to have a pretty high opinion of his own work."

Obama added that Nader "is a singular figure in American politics and has done as much as just about anyone for consumers."

And Obama added, "I don't mean to diminish that." But he added, "There's a sense now that if someone's not hewing to the Ralph Nader agenda, he says they're lacking in some way."

Responding to those remarks during his "Meet the Press" interview, Nader encouraged people to look at his campaign Web site, votenader.org (http://www.votenader.org/index.html), which he said discusses issues important to Americans that Obama and Sen. John McCain "are not addressing."

Nader called Obama "a person of substance" and "the first liberal evangelist in a long time" who "has run a good tactical campaign." But he accused Obama of censoring "his better instincts" on divisive issues.

He also said political consultants "have really messed up Hillary Clinton's campaign."

Nader also wrote off any suggestions that his entry into the race could draw enough votes from the Democratic candidate to help the Republican win. "If the Democrats can't landslide the Republicans this year, they ought to just wrap up, close down, emerge in a different form," he said.

Jeremy
02-24-2008, 10:51 AM
He's still alive?

Huh....who knew.

stillers4me
02-24-2008, 11:16 AM
I swear that man has been running for president my entire adult life.

I wonder whose plans he's going to spoil this time around.

Jeremy
02-24-2008, 11:29 AM

He's not as close to the mainstream as he once was. I think his impact will be minimal.

stillers4me
02-24-2008, 11:58 AM
He's not as close to the mainstream as he once was. I think his impact will be minimal.

With nobody happy with the candidates on either side of the spectrum, he just may upset the apple cart all the way around.

Jeremy
02-24-2008, 11:59 AM
With nobody happy with the candidates on either side of the spectrum, he just may upset the apple cart all the way around.

Honestly, I think an independent Mike Huckabee has a better chance of spoiling things than Nader does.

stillers4me
02-24-2008, 12:05 PM
It will be interesting, to say the least.

Jeremy
02-24-2008, 12:08 PM
It will be interesting, to say the least.

Interesting is one way to put it. What's going to be really interesting is going to be the Democratic Convention. Will the Clintons try to use the super delegates and steal the election from Obama? Can the Dems really come together and present a unified front against McCain and the Republicans?

Lots of juicy stuff for political junkies to chew on.

stillers4me
02-24-2008, 12:13 PM
I used to be into that stuff.

Now I just hang out at Steelers forums.

:tt02:

Atlanta Dan
02-24-2008, 12:15 PM
When I was growing up there was guy named Harold Stassen who ran every 4 years and was a joke - Nader's repeat performances fit that description - why NBC treats this as serious news by giving him a spot on Meet The Press to announce is ludicrous

stillers4me
02-24-2008, 12:17 PM
When I was growing up there was guy named Harold Stassen who ran every 4 years and was a joke - Nader's repeat performances fit that description - why NBC treats this as serious news by giving him a spot on Meet The Press to announce is ludicrous

Because he's liberal and he was GREEN before GREEN was cool. :smile:

Atlanta Dan
02-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Honestly, I think an independent Mike Huckabee has a better chance of spoiling things than Nader does.

Huckabee has his eye on 2012 if McCain loses in November (or for that matter if McCain wins and does not go for re-election at age 75 in 2012) - running as an independent would screw that up

Jeremy
02-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Huckabee has his eye on 2012 if McCain loses in November (or for that matter if McCain wins and does not go for re-election at age 75 in 2012) - running as an independent would screw that up

There are a whole host of young Republicans who are looking at 2012 too.

If history teaches us anything, it's that you have to strike while the iron is hot in politics. Al Gore looked pretty good after losing in 2000, and there was talk of another run in 2004. But by the time 2004 rolled around, Gore was yesterday's news. Huckbee represents the start of reformed Evangelical movement in America. He'll do more for Christians as an Independent than he could ever do as a party wonk.

rbryan
02-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Nader hasn't been in the news since he was responsible for the Chevy Corvair getting recalled 35 years ago. Is Pat Paulsen still around too??

I think I'll just vote for myself again this year. Feel free to write me in. I've got as good a chance as Nader. Hell, I've only got slightly worse odds than Hillary and Obama.

Republicans could put up just about anyone against either of those two and win.

Jeremy
02-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Nader hasn't been in the news since he was responsible for the Chevy Corvair getting recalled 35 years ago. Is Pat Paulsen still around too??

I think I'll just vote for myself again this year. Feel free to write me in. I've got as good a chance as Nader. Hell, I've only got slightly worse odds than Hillary and Obama.

Comments like that make me wonder if you've been paying attention the last 6 years. People in this country aren't happy about the way things are going, and they're holding the Republicans responsible for their displeasure. McCain is going to face a very hard fight considering how closely he's married himself to the White House the last year or so.

Obama and Clinton at least talk about change. McCain represents business as usual. The only two voices who have something different to say are Ron Paul and Mike Huckabee.

rbryan
02-24-2008, 12:32 PM
Believe me I'm all about change. It's hard to imagine either of those two getting elected though. Surely there had to be better options for the Democrats.

Jeremy
02-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Believe me I'm all about change. It's hard to imagine either of those two getting elected though. Surely there had to be better options for the Democrats.

There were, but they got run out of the race by the machine. Mark Warner was one of the big names who dropped out early. He had the credentials as Governor of Virginia to take on both Clinton and Obama and win. But he saw early on what a grind that race for the nomination was and he said no thanks. There have been other that have been whacked by the far left for not being liberal enough.

Bottom line is that the only real change with come from either Dr. Paul or Rev. Huckabee.

rbryan
02-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Apathy rules when the choices aren't really much of a choice. Millions of our tax dollars going toward the campaigns for these talking puppets. I know theres a lot of people who don't feel like I do, and thats a good thing. I'm just too jaded to think that it really matters who the next president is.

Jeremy
02-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Apathy rules when the choices aren't really much of a choice. Millions of our tax dollars going toward the campaigns for these talking puppets. I know theres a lot of people who don't feel like I do, and thats a good thing. I'm just too jaded to think that it really matters who the next president is.

If the question is between Obama, Clinton, and McCain, then no it doesn't matter.

If Huckabee is the choice, well then it matters a lot.

Borski
02-24-2008, 01:07 PM

We don't have a big chance at winning, I've accepted the fact the we will probably lose the general election in Nov....heck, depending of the person he choses for VP I don't even know that I will vote for McCain. We'll see when the time comes though.

Jeremy
02-24-2008, 01:10 PM
We don't have a big chance at winning, I've accepted the fact the we will probably lose the general election in Nov....heck, depending of the person he choses for VP I don't even know that I will vote for McCain. We'll see when the time comes though.

Who would you like to see as VP? Would you like someone from the Bush White House such as Condoleeza Rice? Would you like Mike Huckabee? Or would you like to see McCain pick someone like Tim Pawlenty who could follow McCain in 2012?

nojobny
02-24-2008, 07:29 PM

From your keyboard to the voter's ears. I think it's totally irresponsible for him to do this. :pissed:

SteelCityMan786
02-24-2008, 08:09 PM

He's been running for President in every election that I have been alive for.

Preacher
02-24-2008, 09:38 PM
From your keyboard to the voter's ears. I think it's totally irresponsible for him to do this. :pissed:

Why? It is his right as a citizen of this country.

Furthermore, the same thing has happended a number of other times to both parties, with the final elections going either way.

Clinton and Bush BOTH very possibly got elelcted because of third party candidates taking votes away from other party. Reagan was able to overcome the running of Anderson (Not many problems there).

The idea of his irresponsibility can only be borne or a partisan hope... which isn't bad, but is not truly an honest (by that I mean impartial) assessment .

Preacher
02-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Who would you like to see as VP? Would you like someone from the Bush White House such as Condoleeza Rice? Would you like Mike Huckabee? Or would you like to see McCain pick someone like Tim Pawlenty who could follow McCain in 2012?

I would STILL want J.C Watts... but for some reason, he has stepped FAR away from politics. Sadly.

Borski
02-24-2008, 10:17 PM

Mitt Romney for the Economy, I don't trust McCain with the Economy, I'm willing to hear out other VP's but he is who I would like to see

revefsreleets
02-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Well, George Will wrote a column about the subject of McCain's VP choice today, but those who are interested can read it for themselves...

The question was whether Nader would suck votes from one candidate or the other, and the answer is that he would definitely suck votes from Obama, to a lesser degree Clinton, and almost none from McCain. Nader isn't really as kooky as he appears, and his "consumer advocate" position really is kind of noble, but it all goes back to being practical and pragmatic. His campaign is way too Utopian...

stillers4me
02-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Well, George Will wrote a column about the subject of McCain's VP choice today, but those who are interested can read it for themselves...

The question was whether Nader would suck votes from one candidate or the other, and the answer is that he would definitely suck votes from Obama, to a lesser degree Clinton, and almost none from McCain. Nader isn't really as kooky as he appears, and his "consumer advocate" position really is kind of noble, but it all goes back to being practical and pragmatic. His campaign is way too Utopian...

Oh, I think the guy has some valid arguments. I just wouldn't vote for him for president.

Like I said before, he was green before green was cool.

revefsreleets
02-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Oh, I think the guy has some valid arguments. I just wouldn't vote for him for president.

Like I said before, he was green before green was cool.

And he sucks votes from the left, and predominately the far left, which is Obama territory.

stillers4me
02-26-2008, 09:25 PM
And he sucks votes from the left, and predominately the far left, which is Obama territory.

:thumbsup: