PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Phillips anyone?

Rhee Rhee
02-25-2008, 02:53 AM
ik ik some of u think anthony smith is the answer and its stupid to draft a DB when we need linemen help but think of it like this...

otah ran a 5.56.... and chris williams is shooting up draft boards like a star....

no o-line value with where we stand in the 1st round... (albert and rachal but i still think its too early)

kenny phillips is falling a bit because of a mediocre senior campaign 82 Tackles,5 passes blocked and 2 picks...

he basically has great athleticism... great size 6'2 210... started on a pretty good miami defense since he was a freshman

and could act as our stop-gap nickel corner until ryan clark or anthony smith blow it... he could also be our FS and definitely run down punts and kickoffs on ST... and he also gives insurance for polamalu if he does get injured he can also play SS giving us the luxury of not losing much when polamalu's out..

i'm sure some of u would like to see tyrone carter gone... (this does not mean he's backup SS but he is our future at FS but can play a variety of different positions early on)

The Duke
02-25-2008, 03:05 AM
kenny phillips is falling a bit because of a mediocre senior campaign 82 Tackles,5 passes blocked and 2 picks...

so wait........is this guy considered a 1st round material?

cause if he's not then the steelers can grab a lineman in the 1st (offensive or defensive) and grab this guy later

I support anthony smith to the end, but if this guy can play such a variety of positions then he'd be a great pick.

Rhee Rhee
02-25-2008, 03:10 AM
so wait........is this guy considered a 1st round material?

cause if he's not then the steelers can grab a lineman in the 1st (offensive or defensive) and grab this guy later

I support anthony smith to the end, but if this guy can play such a variety of positions then he'd be a great pick.

he's the #1 rated safety on most boards...

he's definitely 1st round material and right after the bowlgamesi saw him going top15 in almost every mock...

what worries me is what kind of o-line prospects we can get in the second...

Galax Steeler
02-25-2008, 03:27 AM
If we take him in the first then we may be without a decent ol in the second round.

Rhee Rhee
02-25-2008, 01:41 PM
If we take him in the first then we may be without a decent ol in the second round.

anthony collins and heath benedict should be there when we pick in the second..

Dylan
02-27-2008, 09:46 PM
we dont need him, clark might not be flashy or a big time hitter but he gets the job done. i have a lot of respect for clark.

Rhee Rhee
02-28-2008, 12:04 AM
we dont need him, clark might not be flashy or a big time hitter but he gets the job done. i have a lot of respect for clark.

as do i... as do i...

but our depth at CB is severely lacking and because troy has missed a lot of time the past two seasons with knee injuries and concussions i'd say it's not a bad thing to have a better backup than tyrone carter...

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Here is a note from CNNSI combine wrap up.

The Miami Hurricanes football program has fallen on tough times recently and one needs to look no further than the NFL combine to see why. Since 2001, the program consistently had multiple players selected in Round 1, with a record six being chosen during the initial frame in '04. It was not unusual for the team to have as many as 10 players chosen throughout the seven rounds of the draft in the past. This year just six players from the program were invited to the combine, and the two headliners, defensive end Calais Campbell and safety Kenny Philips, were huge disappointments.

://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/02/27/combine.analysis/1.html

polamalu82
02-28-2008, 10:51 AM
but our depth at CB is severely lacking.

You are right about this. I think we would be much better off picking up one of the talented CB's in this years class. I think Kenny is good but he's not first round quality like the CB's that will be there at our pick.

DACEB
02-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Reggie Smith

We really need to trade down, this is looking alot like last years draft. They best be working those phones this year.

lilyoder6
02-28-2008, 01:19 PM
i agree there.. b/c last yr honestly i either thought we should of traded down and got more picks or my fav choice was to draft brady quinn at numba 15 last yr

Rhee Rhee
02-28-2008, 01:54 PM
You are right about this. I think we would be much better off picking up one of the talented CB's in this years class. I think Kenny is good but he's not first round quality like the CB's that will be there at our pick.

none of those first round cbs have the versatility to play everywhere in the defensive backfield... kenny phillips does...

Rhee Rhee
02-28-2008, 01:54 PM
my fav choice was to draft brady quinn at numba 15 last yr

are u serious?? LOL

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Maybe look at Phillips in the 2nd. Looks like an instinctive safety, but better suited to zone as this report from NFL.com indicates.

is best when playing in the zone, as he lets the receiver get right on top of him when playing in one-on-one situations...Shows good aggression in run support, but does not always take proper angles to close

polamalu82
02-28-2008, 03:01 PM
none of those first round cbs have the versatility to play everywhere in the defensive backfield... kenny phillips does...

What about Aqib Talib he can play both spots. Plus he runs faster than what Kenny does. He also has better ball skills. I'm not saying I don't like Kenny I'm just saying other DB's can be just as versatile but with better upside.

lilyoder6
02-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Rhee Rhee, u don't see what the reward would of been for quinn if we took him.... we still got woodly in the 2nd who had a better season than timmons... now lets loke at my thjinking of drafting quinn... what did the browns trade dal for to get him???? we could of traded him to cle who really wanted him for good more draft picks in that draft or in the futre.. (09) it's not like we wouldn't have hurted since timmons really didn't play... and there were other teams that were in need of qb, and we could of traded him.. thats y i think we should of drafted quinn

Crushzilla
02-28-2008, 08:40 PM
No.

Why? Why would we take a defensive back in the first round?

Philips would sure up that ever critical back-up for the back-up safety... I'm not sure if that is at the top of our draft board.

Sorry to be a dick, but I'm not sure I can remember when there was a more GLARING need on our team. We have an offensive line that is AWFUL, and our best player on it is leaving via free agency.

"But Willie Parker was going on his way to a rushing title."

Ya, and had a TON of carries.

"Ben threw 32 touchdowns."

And got sacked much more than that.

I realize you understand the need of an Offensive Lineman, but the value isn't there. It is there. This draft is so deep with tackles. The only two that have no shot of falling to us are Long and Clady. There's no telling what's going to happen with Otah, Williams, or Cherilus.

I just CAN'T see all 5 being drafted before we pick. There will be an Offensive Tackle there, and we need to draft him...

Philips fits the mold for what happens around this time every year. He's a sexy pick. Everyone loves a sexy, high-profile draft pick. I do to.

Let me go cliche all over this post and reemphasize how games are won and lost in the trenches.

Taking Philips might seem fine now, but when our francise QB gets hurt from being manhandled, everyone is going to forget about that utility guy who has 8 career INTS coming in on passing downs to help the starters in the secondary. As far as the cornerbacks go, give McFadden and Gay a break, they mess up but not nearly as bad as the guys on our line.

We need a freaking enema on the Offensive Line, and I really hope it doesn't go overlooked.

Let's look at this fundamentally.

The Offense begins and ends on the offesive line. No blocking, no rushing game, no passing game.

The Defense beings and ends in the defensive front seven. No pressure, secondary gets killed, no run congestion, secondary gets killed.

I realize i'm being dramatic, but the secondary won't matter if the offense can't score.

That's my two, four cents.. Hell its more like a dollar...

If all 5 of those OTs are gone when we go... then... well...

Ignore everything I said :smile:

Rhee Rhee
02-28-2008, 11:28 PM
Maybe look at Phillips in the 2nd. Looks like an instinctive safety, but better suited to zone as this report from NFL.com indicates.

is best when playing in the zone, as he lets the receiver get right on top of him when playing in one-on-one situations...Shows good aggression in run support, but does not always take proper angles to close

?? phillips is the number one rated safety... no way he lasts till the second...

Rhee Rhee
02-28-2008, 11:31 PM
we could of traded him to cle who really wanted him for good more draft picks in that draft or in the futre.. (09)

i see your point...

i just can't remember the last time we have traded anything to baltimore, cleveland or cinci...

believe me i LOVE your idea... i'm just saying instead of trading with us they'd have probably went with one of the second-third rounder QBs.... i.e trent edwards, stanton, beck

Rhee Rhee
02-28-2008, 11:40 PM
I realize i'm being dramatic, but the secondary won't matter if the offense can't score.

That's my two, four cents.. Hell its more like a dollar...

If all 5 of those OTs are gone when we go... then... well...

Ignore everything I said :smile:

u have every right in the world to be dramatic... and i definitely understand where you're coming from...

of the 5 linemen u mentioned im sold on cherilus being a 2nd rounder...

plus i am also convinced that more teams are wising up and looking to shore up the massive holes they have on the o-line... examples are st. louis, kansas city, chicago, carolina, philly, houston all have holes to fill on the o-line... i figure most of the guys u mentioned and sam baker (but not cherilus) will be taken before we pick... if they're all gone thats when i would want to take kenny phillips over a james hardy or malcom kelly or limas or even guys like talib and DRC...

Crushzilla
02-28-2008, 11:51 PM
u have every right in the world to be dramatic... and i definitely understand where you're coming from...

of the 5 linemen u mentioned im sold on cherilus being a 2nd rounder...

plus i am also convinced that more teams are wising up and looking to shore up the massive holes they have on the o-line... examples are st. louis, kansas city, chicago, carolina, philly, houston all have holes to fill on the o-line... i figure most of the guys u mentioned and sam baker (but not cherilus) will be taken before we pick... if they're all gone thats when i would want to take kenny phillips over a james hardy or malcom kelly or limas or even guys like talib and DRC...

I haden't realized his stock had dropped so far.. Any idea of where in the 2nd round you feel he will go?

Also, never underestimate the fact that some of those teams will go for sex appeal! Its the only shot we have! :sofunny:

Rhee Rhee
02-28-2008, 11:56 PM
What about Aqib Talib he can play both spots. Plus he runs faster than what Kenny does. He also has better ball skills. I'm not saying I don't like Kenny I'm just saying other DB's can be just as versatile but with better upside.

aqib is a talent an incredible talent... but i'd say he's definitely on par with kenny phillips...

basically anything is faster than anthony smith (4.7 40)

what talib has in ball skills and speed although he's only faster by 0.08 of a second isnt much, honsestly... say what you will about how when you get beat that 0.08 of a second makes a diffference... yeah but the man plays safety... and if he's disciplined enough (which he is) no one will get behind him...

PLUS if u ask me who's the better tackler i'd give the nod to kenny...

Ike has sorry hands but u kno wut he's a top 5 tackling corner...

tackling to me is far more important than speed... there's a reason why zach thomas, ray lewis and london fletcher have been able to be in the game for so long... tackling...

Rhee Rhee
02-29-2008, 02:33 AM
I haden't realized his stock had dropped so far.. Any idea of where in the 2nd round you feel he will go?

Also, never underestimate the fact that some of those teams will go for sex appeal! Its the only shot we have! :sofunny:

LOL definitely all teams want a HOT O-linemen... i heard jake long has a 6-pack...

cherilus's stock is hovering at a mid 2nd round level... depending on what other teams do in the 1st his stock could teter either way..

Galax Steeler
02-29-2008, 03:45 AM
LOL definitely all teams want a HOT O-linemen... i heard jake long has a 6-pack...

cherilus's stock is hovering at a mid 2nd round level... depending on what other teams do in the 1st his stock could teter either way..

I can't believe chrilus has dropped to the 2nd did he have a bad combine or something.

Rhee Rhee
03-01-2008, 01:40 AM
I can't believe chrilus has dropped to the 2nd did he have a bad combine or something.

in my opinion there are a number of reasons why he's dropping...

1. is that teams are looking at him as a LT instead of a RT... although BC played him at LT this season he did definitely did not stand out much

2. guys at his position are shooting up the draft boards... i.e williams, otah and baker are rising... (otah is dropppin slightly as well)

3. although he runs a 5.14 reportedly it doesn't show in his lateral quickness... so says a combine scout....

4. not a senior year that people expected him to have after a stellar junior year... much like a desean jackson and kenny phillips...

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2008, 12:48 PM
in my opinion there are a number of reasons why he's dropping...

1. is that teams are looking at him as a LT instead of a RT... although BC played him at LT this season he did definitely did not stand out much

2. guys at his position are shooting up the draft boards... i.e williams, otah and baker are rising... (otah is dropppin slightly as well)

3. although he runs a 5.14 reportedly it doesn't show in his lateral quickness... so says a combine scout....

4. not a senior year that people expected him to have after a stellar junior year... much like a desean jackson and kenny phillips...

Rhee Rhee is right about Cherilus. He also struggled with speed rushers and being able to block anybody in space at the Senior Bowl, so he could be a 2nd rounder.

Also, if you watch any of the Matt Ryan video they show, take a look at #77 and you will see he isnt that athletic of a left tackle, has no kick slide and only dominates the guys that try to bull rush him. He is a RT that will have problems with speed rushers unless he develops good technique.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2008, 12:51 PM
basically anything is faster than anthony smith (4.7 40)

Actually Smith ran better ( 4.57 and 4.67) at his Syracuse pro day.

Anthony Smith, Syracuse (6-0 1/8, 194, 4.74)
Smith had a complete workout at the Combine. He ran his 40s in 4.71 and 4.77, had a 41-inch vertical jump, 10-foot-5 long jump, 4.35 short shuttle, 6.75 three-cone drill, and did 18 lifts. He ran better at the Syracuse Pro Day with 40 times of 4.57 and 4.67. Smith was a defensive back and running back in high school beginning his freshman year. Rushed for 1,787 yards and 29 touchdowns as a senior, and 1,475 yards and 26 TDs as a junior. Also picked off 12 passes those last two seasons. Played as a true freshman in 2002, then started 35 games over the next three years. Played with a broken right hand in 2004. Collected 14 interceptions in the past three seasons with six coming in 2005. Has very good anticipation and ball skills, can cover the slot receiver, tough and physical player, and has good hands. Not real big for the position, and what he may lack in speed, Smith makes up for it with instinctive play. Played hard on a Syracuse team that only won one game in 2005. Coaches say he has great character.

//www.packers.com/news/stories/2006/04/18/1/

Rhee Rhee
03-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Actually Smith ran better ( 4.57 and 4.67) at his Syracuse pro day.

Anthony Smith, Syracuse (6-0 1/8, 194, 4.74)
Smith had a complete workout at the Combine. He ran his 40s in 4.71 and 4.77, had a 41-inch vertical jump, 10-foot-5 long jump, 4.35 short shuttle, 6.75 three-cone drill, and did 18 lifts. He ran better at the Syracuse Pro Day with 40 times of 4.57 and 4.67. Smith was a defensive back and running back in high school beginning his freshman year. Rushed for 1,787 yards and 29 touchdowns as a senior, and 1,475 yards and 26 TDs as a junior. Also picked off 12 passes those last two seasons. Played as a true freshman in 2002, then started 35 games over the next three years. Played with a broken right hand in 2004. Collected 14 interceptions in the past three seasons with six coming in 2005. Has very good anticipation and ball skills, can cover the slot receiver, tough and physical player, and has good hands. Not real big for the position, and what he may lack in speed, Smith makes up for it with instinctive play. Played hard on a Syracuse team that only won one game in 2005. Coaches say he has great character.

//www.packers.com/news/stories/2006/04/18/1/

this scouting report makes him sound like a can't miss prospect... lol

i love how u got it from a packers website too btw... :sofunny:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2008, 08:54 PM
this scouting report makes him sound like a can't miss prospect... lol

i love how u got it from a packers website too btw... :sofunny:

The scouting report is actually from Gil Brandt of NFL.com....maybe you have heard of him before?. :smile: It just happened to be picked up by the Packers site.

If not google him and you will find he had 28 years as head of Dallas Player personel and one of the pioneers of modern day scouting.

Here's that article in case you want to read it again. :wave:

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2006/04/18/1