PDA

View Full Version : Steelers show interest in Hardy, Cherilus

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Steelers | Team showing interest in Hardy
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 15:19:28 -0800

Indiana University WR James Hardy said during his NFL Scouting Combine interview that the Pittsburgh Steelers are showing interest in him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steelers | Team talks with Cherilus
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 14:10:18 -0800

Boston College OL Gosder Cherilus said during his NFL Scouting Combine interview that he has talked with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

http://www.kffl.com/team/30/nfl

Jeremy
02-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Hardy worked over everyone in the Big Ten last year. He had a huge against Justin King, who's being projected as a first day pick.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers pick him up and move Holmes or Ward to the slot.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Hardy worked over everyone in the Big Ten last year. He had a huge against Justin King, who's being projected as a first day pick.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers pick him up and move Holmes or Ward to the slot.

Sweed and Hardy are both going to be big commodities in this draft...and to go against conventional wisdom....I wouldnt be dissapointed if we took either of those recievers with a first ...and we grabbed Benedict in the 2nd round .
We may be able to still get Langford in the third..and a respectable guard in the 4th.

Benedict looked like a freak at the combine.

Jeremy
02-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Sweed and Hardy are both going to be big commodities in this draft...and to go against conventional wisdom....I wouldnt be dissapointed if we took either of those recievers with a first ...and we grabbed Benedict in the 2nd round .
We may be able to still get Langford in the third..and a respectable guard in the 4th.

Benedict looked like a freak at the combine.

Receiver is a good value in the first. It allows the Steelers to move Ward to the slow where he works better anyway, and gets another third down option on the field to go with Miller and Spaeth.

Dylan
02-25-2008, 01:12 PM
i would like to see that pick, but if ward got moved to the slot how would he respond

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Not a real fan of 1st round WR picks unless you need that guy bad and they are so hard to evaluate.

So many things have to happen for a WR to have a chance to catch a pass. Blocking, defense recognition, blitz pickup, etc.

Too easy to get a Troy Edwards or David Boston in round 1 because Torry Holt was already gone. Sinorice Moss or Chad Jackson instead of Santonio Holmes

Chad Johnson, Houshmanzadeh, Terrell Owens, Marques Colston, Hines Ward were never 1st rounders and I believe you can always find better value in Rounds 2-5 on WR's

lilyoder6
02-25-2008, 01:51 PM
i think that manningham is going to drop out of the 1sr rd... he could possibly be there in the 2nd.. but hardy would be a nice addition

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Not a real fan of 1st round WR picks unless you need that guy bad and they are so hard to evaluate.

So many things have to happen for a WR to have a chance to catch a pass. Blocking, defense recognition, blitz pickup, etc.

Too easy to get a Troy Edwards or David Boston in round 1 because Torry Holt was already gone. Sinorice Moss or Chad Jackson instead of Santonio Holmes

Chad Johnson, Houshmanzadeh, Terrell Owens, Marques Colston, Hines Ward were never 1st rounders and I believe you can always find better value in Rounds 2-5 on WR's

Those that you are naming are exceptions to the rule....38% of starting WR's were drafted in the first round...and by the end of the 3rd you are looking at 74%

Of the 341 WR's drafted from 1993 to 2003, late round gems are picked out of a sea of practice squad players.

Jeremy
02-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Those that you are naming are exceptions to the rule....38% of starting WR's were drafted in the first round...and by the end of the 3rd you are looking at 74%

Of the 341 WR's drafted from 1993 to 2003, late round gems are picked out of a sea of practice squad players.

Moss wasn't considered that far behind Holmes when he came out. He's had a hard time cracking the rotation in New York.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-25-2008, 02:38 PM
OK, but how many 1st round drafted WR's fail to be starters?? or turn out to be busts?? More than 50%?

The 2001 draft 1st rounders are : David Terell, Koren Robinson, Santana Moss, Rod Gardner,Freddy mitchell, Reggie Wayne,

2005 Braylon Edwards, Troy Williamson, Roddy White, Mike Williams, Matt Jones, Mark Clayton

2004 list is Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Clayton, Michael Jenkins, Lee Evans, Rashaun woods, Roy Williams

2002 Donte Stallworth, Ashlie Lelie, Javon Walker.

2000 Peter Warrick, Plaxico, Travis Taylor, Sylvester Morris

1999 Torry Holt, David Boston, Troy Edwards

My point is you have to sift thru a lot of dirt to find a nugget worth keeping at WR in round 1, while most 1st round O lineman are gonna be be valuable contributors....even if they underperform like Robert Gallery or Leonard Davis.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-25-2008, 02:40 PM
Moss wasn't considered that far behind Holmes when he came out. He's had a hard time cracking the rotation in New York.

QB's...Left Tackles...and WR's.....are first day picks. The numbers are very obvious on this point...you can get value easier in later rounds at other positions...

Thats just the odds...you can gamble on getting someone later...but its just that...a gamble.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-25-2008, 02:45 PM
OK, but how many 1st round drafted WR's fail to be starters??

The 2001 draft 1st rounders are : David Terell, Koren Robinson, Santana Moss, Rod Gardner,Freddy mitchell, Reggie Wayne,

2005 Braylon Edwards, Troy Williamson, Roddy White, Mike Williams, Matt Jones, Mark Clayton

2004 list is Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Clayton, Michael Jenkins, Lee Evans, Rashaun woods, Roy Williams

2002 Donte Stallworth, Ashlie Lelie, Javon Walker.

2000 Peter Warrick, Plaxico, Travis Taylor, Sylvester Morris

1999 Torry Holt, David Boston, Troy Edwards

My point is you have to sift thru a lot of dirt to find a nugget worth keeping at WR in round 1, while most 1st round O lineman are gonna be be valuable contributors....even if they underperform like Robert Gallery or Leonard Davis.

Again...look at the numbers....go back and look at what the %'s are in those same drafts in regards to how many starters you can find that were drafted late...compared to those you wont even recognize.

There isnt really an arguement to be made at all.

Players like Colston have convinced people that you can wait until later to get a WR, but its a fallacy and you will find more Dallas Bakers on the second day, then you will find Hines Wards.

That being said...I DO agree that OLT is even more lop-sided when comparing 1st rounder to the rest of the draft....like I said....there are three positions that you need to draft early if you have a need. QB, OLT, WR.
We are just fortunate that this draft is deeper thatn any I can ever remember for Tackle depth.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-25-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm just saying that spending a 1st round pick on a WR is always a risky proposition and I dont think WR is a pressing need we need to address. I would spend it on a #1 WR if he is a cant miss.

I would rather spend it on O-line or D-line and consider a #2 or #3 WR that can return kicks in rounds 3-5.

Holmes, Ward, Miller are our starting pass catchers with Washington, Spaeth and more depth to be had thru FA or the draft. Wilson still has 1 year under contract.

The future O line is Colon, Mahan, Starks, Kemoatu???? D line is Smith, Hampton and underperforming Keisel, Hoke, Kirschke, McBean?? I think that definately needs more attention.

Rhee Rhee
02-26-2008, 02:44 AM
I'm just saying that spending a 1st round pick on a WR is always a risky proposition and I dont think WR is a pressing need we need to address. I would spend it on a #1 WR if he is a cant miss.

at the moment it may not bea pressing need but honestly u never know...hines could get injured middle of the season or santonio gets hurt.... that's where our 1st round pick comes into action...

PLUS if the good linemen (O and D) are gone and most of the top CB's and kenny phillips i see no reason to take anyother position but receiver... (maybe RB if stewart is available.)

Preacher
02-26-2008, 03:12 AM
I think the question here is short term vs. long term pressing needs.

Short term, we have to shore up the O line NOW. W/O going into it (which I thing we ALL have done numerous times in other threads), we have at least two of the first three picks to stock our O line.

So where does that other 1st round pick go to? Well. I am not as convinced as others that we are THAT desperate on the DL for players. That leaves an ILB to completely revamp that corp, a CB, or a WR.

Of those three, I think we will be quite deep this year at LB. our CB's are still pretty dang decent (it still feels wierd saying THAT!) Thus, we look at WR.

Interesting, WR is our long term pressing need. We need a LEGITIMATE number 2 that Ward can take under his wing and train as he did with Holmes. Ward over the next year or two will become a possession receiver in the slot. We need someone that can step up and take over HOlmes place as he slides into Ward's position.

So the first day, we address the O line with 2 of the first 3 pics. Then the WR with the other (if the draft is deep enough, and one falls). Then, with the last 3, we take some shots at small school, big upside CB's RB's and WR's that can work our return game.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-27-2008, 04:21 AM
I think the question here is short term vs. long term pressing needs.

Short term, we have to shore up the O line NOW. W/O going into it (which I thing we ALL have done numerous times in other threads), we have at least two of the first three picks to stock our O line.

So where does that other 1st round pick go to? Well. I am not as convinced as others that we are THAT desperate on the DL for players. That leaves an ILB to completely revamp that corp, a CB, or a WR.

Of those three, I think we will be quite deep this year at LB. our CB's are still pretty dang decent (it still feels wierd saying THAT!) Thus, we look at WR.

Interesting, WR is our long term pressing need. We need a LEGITIMATE number 2 that Ward can take under his wing and train as he did with Holmes. Ward over the next year or two will become a possession receiver in the slot. We need someone that can step up and take over HOlmes place as he slides into Ward's position.

So the first day, we address the O line with 2 of the first 3 pics. Then the WR with the other (if the draft is deep enough, and one falls). Then, with the last 3, we take some shots at small school, big upside CB's RB's and WR's that can work our return game.

I couldnt agree more....You and I are of the same mindset as far as needs are concerned. When you look deep into this draft I think that OT is deep and the dropoff if talent from the end of the first to the end of the second is minimal....AND there are few Guards that warrant a first day grade....HOWEVER...the drop in talent from first day to second day in regards to WR is pretty obvious.
Thats why I think we may see the Steelers grab Hardy or Sweed if they are still on the board at #23...and then O-Line in the 2nd and 3rd.

lilyoder6
02-27-2008, 10:05 AM
i don't even know half the ppl on the 1st rd pick that u listed... i think wr's is the easiest pos to be a bust at.... so u are going to have the stuff or not plain and simple

revefsreleets
02-28-2008, 08:25 PM
I still think the Steelers are going to spend a little coin on a FA WR this year. The lag time for a WR in development is too long, and there are some receivers out there who i think can flourish in our system. The Steelers won't spend crazy money, but it'll be a better pick-up than Cedric Wilson.

lilyoder6
02-28-2008, 08:41 PM
i still think that starks is good but he let himself going this past season.. he did very well when we made the run for the sb.. he just needs to trim down a lil bit and get a lil meaner.. and he would be fine.. he is 6'8

Rhee Rhee
03-01-2008, 02:07 AM

as i see it u are right and wrong... ward will begin playing in the slot but then again whenever we're in the redzone or on key 3rd down conversions you'll see him lined up in the slot... so that's never knew... he also will become a poession reciever but then again he always was...

i dont see holmes taking hines place running routes over the middle and making tough catches in traffic...

holmes' would be best utilized going deep and catching ben's long bombs... what we need is someone similar to ward in a sense that he blocks well, catches EVERYTHING and is tough... early doucet fits the mold exactly... anquan boldin fits the mold also (but no chance we willl ever have him)...

Rhee Rhee
03-01-2008, 02:07 AM
he is 6'8

that's not always a great thing... the lower u are the more leverage u get...

MasterOfPuppets
03-01-2008, 08:21 AM
as i see it u are right and wrong... ward will begin playing in the slot but then again whenever we're in the redzone or on key 3rd down conversions you'll see him lined up in the slot... so that's never knew... he also will become a poession reciever but then again he always was...

i dont see holmes taking hines place running routes over the middle and making tough catches in traffic...

holmes' would be best utilized going deep and catching ben's long bombs... what we need is someone similar to ward in a sense that he blocks well, catches EVERYTHING and is tough... early doucet fits the mold exactly... anquan boldin fits the mold also (but no chance we willl ever have him)...jordy nelson !!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2008, 10:15 AM
jordy nelson !!!!

Yeah!!! I would love to get him in the 3rd, but think he might be gone in the 2nd. His coach also coached at Virginia a couple years ago and says Nelson is just like Heath Miller in the way he works and plays.

MasterOfPuppets
03-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Yeah!!! I would love to get him in the 3rd, but think he might be gone in the 2nd. His coach also coached at Virginia a couple years ago and says Nelson is just like Heath Miller in the way he works and plays.i've only seen nelson play one game last year...against oklahoma i think, he must have had at least 10 catches,and a few tds.. he certainly didn't look too fast, and i really had no idea who he was up till that game, but the guy manages to get seperation. he reminded me of steve largent. i think whoever lands him could get wes welker like production from him. i really hope its the burg, even if its a second round pick.

MasterOfPuppets
03-01-2008, 09:34 PM

Of the 341 WR's drafted from 1993 to 2003, late round gems are picked out of a sea of practice squad players.here's a little nugget for ya....since 1990, out of every WR the styeelers have drafted from 4 - 7.....lee mays would be considered the most successful....so whats that tell ya?
http://www.databasefootball.com/draft/draftteam.htm?tm=PIT&lg=NFL

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2008, 10:22 PM
here's a little nugget for ya....since 1990, out of every WR the styeelers have drafted from 4 - 7.....lee mays would be considered the most successful....so whats that tell ya?

It tells me the Steelers cant find a WR on day 2.

I still dont want to throw our 1st round pick at a WR. Too many needs on the line to be addressed. Yancy Thigpen was a 4th round guy that played rather well for us.

Ernie Mills, Andre Hastings, Ward, Randle El were taken in the 2nd or 3rd and not marquee WR's like Troy Edwards, Charles Johnson, Plaxico who were taken in the 1st.

I still wanna see O-line, D-line, WR taken in the first 3 rounds, but really think we need the most help on the lines.

19ward86
03-01-2008, 10:37 PM
im 100% against cherilus but i like hardy, but on the other hand i think we could get sweed in the 2nd or manningham since he ran a 4.6 at the combine even though he probably stummbled or just isnt good at running 40s. I think we could get a guy like Dexter Jackson in the 4th round or later and he will produce just as much as some 1st rounders. I wouldnt mind seeing hardy in the first, Cousin in the 2nd, and dexter jackson in the 4th. sorry i didnt say the 3rd or the rest.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-02-2008, 12:51 PM
im 100% against cherilus but i like hardy, but on the other hand i think we could get sweed in the 2nd or manningham since he ran a 4.6 at the combine even though he probably stummbled or just isnt good at running 40s. I think we could get a guy like Dexter Jackson in the 4th round or later and he will produce just as much as some 1st rounders. I wouldnt mind seeing hardy in the first, Cousin in the 2nd, and dexter jackson in the 4th. sorry i didnt say the 3rd or the rest.

I'm only 85% against Cherilus personally, but that is still enough. I like Jackson, Jordy Nelson or Eddie Royal as they are all good WR and can contribute in the kicking return game. But they all probably go in round 2 or 3.

Elvis
03-03-2008, 12:43 PM
i would like to see that pick, but if ward got moved to the slot how would he respond
I think that Hines would respond with class, anything to help the team win games and be more competitive.
:helmet:

Jeremy
03-03-2008, 01:30 PM
here's a little nugget for ya....since 1990, out of every WR the styeelers have drafted from 4 - 7.....lee mays would be considered the most successful....so whats that tell ya?

The Steelers have made bad decisions when drafting wide receivers.

ShutDown24
03-03-2008, 01:41 PM
I would say most definitely move Ward to the slot over Holmes if we go WR first round - Santonio is one of the best deep threats in the league. I would much rather have him running the sideline than inside. Ward is much better suited for the slot anyway, honestly, that's probably where he should be already.

Galax Steeler
03-10-2008, 04:07 AM
I would say most definitely move Ward to the slot over Holmes if we go WR first round - Santonio is one of the best deep threats in the league. I would much rather have him running the sideline than inside. Ward is much better suited for the slot anyway, honestly, that's probably where he should be already.

Have to agree with you shutdown ward needs to be in the slot and santonio running the deep routes.

lilyoder6
03-10-2008, 08:23 AM
also if we did draft a wr and move ward to the slot we would have a very nice 3 wr package with them and miller at te... all the possiblities.. lol