PDA

View Full Version : Steelers past FA signings

Steel Pit
02-26-2008, 02:52 AM
Seeing that free agents have been the hot topic on this forum lately, I thought that I would list a few of the "top-quality free agent players" that the Steelers have signed over the past 16 years or so.

I haven't done in research on this topic, I'm listing these quality players off the top of my head. Add your comments or anyone that I may have forgotten.

John L. Williams FB

Duvall Love OL

Tom Newberry OL

Ray Seals DE

Yancy Thigpen WR

Norm Johnson K

Jeff Hartings OL

James Farrior LB

The Duke
02-26-2008, 03:07 AM
Kimo was a free agent right?

and sean mahan :flap:......oh, you mean quality, scratch that then

Rhee Rhee
02-26-2008, 03:30 AM
Farrior and hartings were the best FA signings in recent memory...

Preacher
02-26-2008, 04:20 AM
Hey...

We brought in a Punter in FA...

I can't remember his name... but something about him...

Hmm... something special....

I think he went his whole career without...... what was that.

Oh yeah..

He never had a punt blocked! That's right! Gardocki!

Galax Steeler
02-26-2008, 04:29 AM
Farrior and hartings were the best FA signings in recent memory...

Agreed

RJC
02-26-2008, 06:40 AM
Kevin Green, Kimo Von Olhoeffen, James Farrior, Dwayne Washington, Yancy Thigpen, Chris Gardocki, Wayne Gandy, Will Wolford, John L Williams, Jeff Hartings, and Brent Alexander were all really solid to great free agent acquisitions.

Then you had guys like Duce Staley, Tommy Maddox, Ryan Clark, and Mike Tomczach who all had their "moments".

Also, don't forget we traded for Jerome Bettis who technically wasn't a free agent, but was brought in from another team via trade.

All in all, we've done allright....

The_WARDen
02-26-2008, 09:18 AM
so, basically what I'm understanding here is that the trend says they aren't about to go out and get a stud like Randy Moss?

SteelersWyo
02-26-2008, 09:22 AM
Steelers usually seem to pay modest money in FA for a role player, although some have turned out to be more. Staley was the biggest waste of money EVER in the NFL. The guy was a broken down lame RB in Philly.

drew102e
02-26-2008, 10:06 AM
steelers will not be active the first few days of free agency, but i expect them to pick up 1 or 2 pieces of the puzzles prior to the draft

Edman
02-26-2008, 11:17 AM
I don't know why people are ragging on Duce. If I can recall he was doing just fine for us until he got that injury in 2004.

Getting bitten by the injury bug was the problem with Duce. He got rusty and never recovered. He could've been servicable or good.

The Duke
02-26-2008, 12:26 PM
I don't know why people are ragging on Duce. If I can recall he was doing just fine for us until he got that injury in 2004.

Getting bitten by the injury bug was the problem with Duce. He got rusty and never recovered. He could've been servicable or good.

http://www.sportsocracy.org/imgs/ducesweats.jpg

this

lilyoder6
02-26-2008, 12:37 PM
lol.. nice pic of him .. he did get a ring with us did he not? and the steelers may not be big players in the fa but they are still good yr in and yr out

aclark99
02-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Thigpen came to us because he couldn't make it with the Chargers. He was released off of their practice squad. I wouldn't consider him a free agent. It took him two years to develop with the Steelers. Kevin Greene was probably the best free agent signing we made over the years. It would be great to see Justin Smith turn into our next Greene.

BlastFurnace
02-26-2008, 01:42 PM
The two worst were Donnell Woolford, Travis Davis and some O'lineman from the Bengals named Brown. Remember Shar Pournedash...or something like that.

The best FA signings were:

Farrior, Kimo, Hartings, Thigpen (although, I think we got him from the waiver wire).

CanadianSteel
02-26-2008, 01:59 PM
Best FA signings IMO: All improved and had there best years while once the joined the Steelers:

Greene
Kimo
Farrior
Hartings

Dino 6 Rings
02-26-2008, 02:33 PM
Hartings, anyone that steps into CENTER on the Steelers oline and does a bang up job is a winner in my book. And it showed after this season what happens when we don't (Still Don't) have a great Center.

Steel Pit
02-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Thigpen came to us because he couldn't make it with the Chargers. He was released off of their practice squad. I wouldn't consider him a free agent. It took him two years to develop with the Steelers. Kevin Greene was probably the best free agent signing we made over the years. It would be great to see Justin Smith turn into our next Greene.

Well I would definitely define a released player a free agent. What else would you call these players? A college player who doesn't get drafted is defined as an "undrafted free agent" and they haven't even been on an NFL roster.

Galax Steeler
02-27-2008, 04:19 AM
http://www.sportsocracy.org/imgs/ducesweats.jpg

this

looks like he is playing a game of pocket pool.

steelwolf21
02-27-2008, 07:44 AM
looks like he is playing a game of pocket pool.

He's concentrating pretty hard on it too, maybe that's why he kept getting injuries, repetitive motion strain!

tony hipchest
02-27-2008, 10:12 AM
what? no love for tim mckyer or terence mathis?