PDA

View Full Version : RIP Myron cope 1929-2008

steveironcity
02-27-2008, 09:43 AM
Myron Cope has passed away

http://kdka.com/steelers/Myron.Cope.dies.2.663862.html

alittlejazzbird
02-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Godspeed, Myron. You were loved, and you will be greatly missed. It's a sad day in the "Burgh.

verks36
02-27-2008, 09:44 AM
oo hell no

this is a huge loss to the steeler nation

WOW

RIP myron

they should make a terribble town to commemorate him

fansince'76
02-27-2008, 09:46 AM
R.I.P., Myron. You will be sorely missed.

Dino 6 Rings
02-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Oh man, that just made me so sad...that sux big time.

Edman
02-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Just heard the news. Yoi...

Rest in Peace, Myron. Pittsburghers and all Steeler fans will miss you.

tony hipchest
02-27-2008, 09:52 AM
yoi and double yoi!

sad news. what a bummer. terrible towels will truly be soaked with tears.

i will always appreciate NFL.coms free radio broadcast of games his final few years with tunch and bill. as a non local, it was my only way of enjoying the treasure known as myron.

83-Steelers-43
02-27-2008, 09:54 AM
RIP Myron. Second to none in the booth. We will miss you.

Atlanta Dan
02-27-2008, 09:54 AM
I feel very sad and in some ways older - as one of many who has left the Burgh physically but not emotionally, Myron reflected much of what i loved about the Pittsburgh in which I grew up

So many memories of not only Myron's Steelers broadcasts but his 5:45 p.m. commentaries and 7 pm call in show on WTAE-AM. Not to mention that he was a great writer before he became a media personality

RIP and double yoi Myron:cheers:

Streaming video on WTAE now if anyone wants to check it out

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/video/15423832/index.html

k7brown
02-27-2008, 09:57 AM
RIP Myron... you will be missed greatly by the Steeler Nation.

HometownGal
02-27-2008, 09:58 AM
I am so saddened beyond words upon hearing that Myron has passed away. :frown: My late father and Myron went to Oliver High School together and remained friends over the years. When my Dad died, Myron was notified of his death by the Oliver Alumni Group and sent flowers to the funeral home and wrote a beautiful letter to my Mom which she will always cherish.

When the Good Lord created Myron Cope, he threw away the mold.

RIP, Myron. :tombstone We love you and you will always live on in our hearts. :tt02::tt02::tt02:

stlrtruck
02-27-2008, 09:58 AM
Well atleast heaven has a great sports announcer, and when the Lord above comes back we know it will be Myron with the play by play!!!

God bless the Cope family!!!

Counselor
02-27-2008, 10:02 AM
God Bless you Myron, we'll miss you.

02-27-2008, 10:12 AM
I have not posted in a while, but feel compelled at the news of Myron Cope's passing. As most of you who grew up outside the Pittsburgh broadcasting area, I spent many a Sunday afternoon huddled around the radio listening to Myron, and Bill Hillgrove during the pre Suday Ticket days, when your only choice was to watch the game offered or listen to the radio. MYRON COPE IS BAR NONE THE BEST COLOR COMMENTATOR THE NFL HAS EVER SEEN!!

R.I.P. Myron.

rbryan
02-27-2008, 10:24 AM
I feel very sad and in some ways older - as one of many who has left the Burgh physically but not emotionally, Myron reflected much of what i loved about the Pittsburgh in which I grew up

So many memories of not only Myron's Steelers broadcasts but his 5:45 p.m. commentaries and 7 pm call in show on WTAE-AM. Not to mention that he was a great writer before he became a media personality

RIP and double yoi Myron:cheers:

Streaming video on WTAE now if anyone wants to check it out

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/video/15423832/index.html

I feel the same way, Myron's the same age as my Father. The reality that we are all short for this world has a way of hitting you even harder at a time like this.

Sad day in Steeler Nation.

jasonhightower
02-27-2008, 10:25 AM
MYRON COPE IS BAR NONE THE BEST COLOR COMMENTATOR THE NFL HAS EVER SEEN!!

No doubt about it. We were blessed for a long time. RIP Myron.

atrus20
02-27-2008, 10:37 AM
I would always mute the TV when a Steelers game was on so I could hear Myron on the radio. He had a charisma about him that made the game more exciting. He will be sorely missed.

Steelers
02-27-2008, 10:37 AM
R.I.P. Myron. He was truly a legend in the 'Burgh and in our hearts.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Wow....I want to do an "Ode to Myron"...just cant bring myself to do it yet.

:helmet::tombstone:helmet:

Tankus_Maximus
02-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Godspeed to Myron Cope.

Now he can call the Steelers games for God.

RIP.

Buzz05
02-27-2008, 10:53 AM
The world seems a little empty today. RIP Myron. My next Iron is for you.

The Duke
02-27-2008, 11:01 AM
oh man, this is so sad

he's the voice I remember from the first steelers game I heard. he was the voice that will always be in the hearts of steeler nation

thank you for the memories myron. RIP , you will truly be missed

polamalu82
02-27-2008, 11:12 AM
R.I.P. Myron. You'll be sorely missed.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
02-27-2008, 11:12 AM
R.I.P. Myron Cope.

RP_McMurphy
02-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks for giving NFL fans a one of a kind style and voice. Plus you added to the Jaguars-Steelers rivalry when the Jaguars came into the league.

klick81
02-27-2008, 11:22 AM
Oh wow. Rest in peace, Myron. :(

stlrtruck
02-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Let's play a little game here:

What do you think Myron, the Chief, and God are talking about right now?

The Steelers next Super Bowl?

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-27-2008, 11:31 AM
Ode to Myron

Looking towards the end zone, from a hundred yards away.
Did you know
so long ago
The role that you would play.

Each step would take you closer..across that hallowed green
To became a part
of Pittsburgh's heart
the likes we'd never unseen.

You walked with pride and knowledge, to the 50 yard midfield
and left behind
each word and line
your legacy would yield.

and finally ..the endzone....you reached the vaunted goal
The Steelers glory
contains your story...
...Not complete without your role

And now we'll miss your presence, and Pittsburgh's heart is torn.
The heavenly crown you hold
is black and gold..
we know...but still will mourn.

(I know its a poor attempt...but respected the man enough to try.)

stlrtruck
02-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Ode to Myron

Looking towards the end zone, from a hundred yards away.
Did you know
so long ago
The role that you would play.

Each step would take you closer..across that hallowed green
To became a part
of Pittsburgh's heart
the likes we'd never unseen.

You walked with pride and knowledge, to the 50 yard midfield
and left behind
each word and line
your legacy would yield.

and finally ..the endzone....you reached the vaunted goal
The Steelers glory
contains your story...
...Not complete without your role

And now we'll miss your presence, and Pittsburgh's heart is torn.
The heavenly crown you hold
is black and gold..
we know...but still will mourn.

(I know its a poor attempt...but respected the man enough to try.)

I started a new thread to try and help you out too. mine is a poor attempt too.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Let's play a little game here:

What do you think Myron, the Chief, and God are talking about right now?

The Steelers next Super Bowl?

I think Myron saw a big mansion with Steeler paraphernalia all over it...and was dissapointed to find out it belonged to God...and not to him...:smile:

OneForTheToe
02-27-2008, 11:34 AM
R.I.P., Myron.

A 21 yoi salute is in order:

YOI, YOI, YOI, YOI,
YOI, YOI, YOI, YOI,
YOI,YOI,YOI,YOI,
YOI,YOI,YOI,YOI,
YOI,YOI,YOI,YOI,
YOI,

PisnNapalm
02-27-2008, 11:35 AM
YOI! and DOUBLE YOI!!

RIP Myron you will always be loved by the Steelers Nation.

Michael Keller
02-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Wow! What a loss Should build a statue of him some where . I just pray and hope he and the Chief are talking Steeler football this very moment.

crcsnail
02-27-2008, 11:58 AM
wow just got home from work here in the uk and i am genuinly saddened.myron is the steeler broadcaster i listened to and although his voice drove my wife nuts i loved the guy.wot a fountain of knowledge he was so heres a big double yoi to u myron rest in peace m8

Glace
02-27-2008, 12:15 PM
That's truly one of the saddest things I've heard in a long time.

I used to mute the announcers on the TV just so I could listen to Cope.

We'll never have another broadcaster like him...ever.

tony hipchest
02-27-2008, 12:15 PM
its only right when i get home, to pick up my towel and give it a symbolic twirl to the heavens. :tt02:

very nice AP article-

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d806ea6bf&template=without-video&confirm=true

Steelers' former radio announcer Myron Cope dies at 79
Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Myron Cope, the screechy-voiced announcer whose colorful catch phrases and twirling Terrible Towel became symbols of the Pittsburgh Steelers during an unrivaled 35 seasons in the broadcast booth, has died. He was 79.

Cope died Wednesday morning at a nursing home in Mount Lebanon, a Pittsburgh suburb, Joe Gordon, a former Steelers executive and a longtime friend of Cope's, told The Associated Press. Cope had been treated for respiratory problems and heart failure in recent months, Gordon said.

Cope's tenure from 1970-2004 as the color analyst on the Steelers' radio network is the longest in NFL history for a broadcaster with a single team and led to his induction into the National Radio Hall of Fame in 2005.

Even after retiring, Cope - a sports talk show host for 23 years - continued to appear in numerous radio, TV and print ads, emblematic of a local popularity that sometimes surpassed that of the stars he covered.

Beyond Pittsburgh's three rivers, Cope is best known for pioneering the Terrible Towel, the yellow cloth twirled by fans as a good luck charm at Steelers games since the mid-70s. The towel is arguably the best-known fan symbol of any major pro sports team, has raised millions of dollars for charity and is displayed at the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

"You were really part of it," Steelers owner Dan Rooney told Cope in 2005. "You were part of the team. The Terrible Towel many times got us over the goal line."

An announcer by accident, Cope spent the first half of his professional career as one of the nation's most widely read freelance sports writers, writing for Sports Illustrated and the Saturday Evening Post on subjects that included Muhammad Ali, Howard Cosell and Roberto Clemente. He was hired by the Steelers at age 40, several years after he began doing TV sports commentary on the whim of a station manager, mostly to help increase attention and attendance as the Steelers moved into Three Rivers Stadium.

Neither the Steelers nor Cope had any idea how much impact he would have on the franchise. Within two years of his hiring, Pittsburgh would begin a string of home sellouts that continues to this day, a stretch that includes five Super Bowl titles.

Cope became so popular that the Steelers didn't try to replace his unique perspective and top-of-the-lungs vocal histrionics when he retired, instead downsizing from a three-man announcing team to a two-man booth.

"He doesn't play, he doesn't put on a pair of pads, but he's revered probably as much or more in Pittsburgh than Franco (Harris), all the guys," running back Jerome Bettis said. "Everybody probably remembers Myron more than the greatest players, and that's an incredible compliment."

Cope and a rookie quarterback named Terry Bradshaw made their Steelers debuts on Sept. 20, 1970.

Just as Pirates fans once did with longtime broadcaster Bob Prince, Steelers fans began tuning in to hear what wacky stunt or colorful phrase Cope would come up with next. With a voice beyond imitation - a falsetto so shrill it could pierce even the din of a touchdown celebration - Cope was a man of many words, some not in any dictionary.

To Cope, an exceptional play rated a "Yoi!" A coach's doublespeak was "garganzola." The despised rival to the north was always the Cleve Brownies, never the Cleveland Browns.

He gave four-time Super Bowl champion coach Chuck Noll the only nickname that ever stuck, the Emperor Chaz. For years, he laughed off the downriver and often downtrodden Cincinnati Bengals as the Bungles, though never with a malice or nastiness that would create longstanding anger.

Many visiting players who, perhaps upset by what Cope had uttered during a broadcast, could only laugh when confronted by a 5-foot-4 man they often dwarfed by more than a foot.

During the years, it seemed every Steelers player or employee could tell an offbeat or humorous story about Cope.

He once jammed tight end Dave Smith, fully dressed in uniform and pads, into a cab for a hectic ride to the airport after Smith missed the team bus for an interview. He talked a then-retired Frank Sinatra into attending a 1972 practice in San Diego to make him an honorary general in Franco Harris' Italian Army fan club. He took a wintertime river swim in 1977 to celebrate an unexpected win, and was sick for days.

Cope's biggest regret was not being on the air during perhaps the most famous play in NFL history - Franco Harris' famed Immaculate Reception against Oakland in 1972, during the first postseason win in Steelers history.

Cope was on the field to grab guests for his postgame show when Harris, on what seemingly was the last play of the Steelers' season, grabbed the soaring rebound of a tipped Bradshaw pass after it deflected off either the Raiders' Jack Tatum or the Steelers' Frenchy Fuqua and scored a game-winning 60-yard touchdown. As a result, play-by-play man Jack Fleming's voice is the only one heard on what has been countless replays over the years.

"He ran straight to me in the corner, and I'm yelling, `C'mon Franco, c'mon on!"' said Cope, who, acting on a fan's advice, tagged the play "The Immaculate Reception" during a TV commentary that night.

Remarkably, Cope worked with only two play-by-play announcers, Fleming and Bill Hillgrove, and two head coaches, Noll and Bill Cowher, during his 35 seasons.

Cope began having health problems shortly before his retirement, and they continued after he left the booth. They included several bouts of pneumonia and bronchitis - he smoked throughout his career - a concussion and a leg problem that took months to properly diagnose. He also said he had a cancerous growth removed from his throat.

"Wherever I go, people sincerely ask me how my health is and almost always, they say `Myron, you've given me so much joy over the years,"' said Cope, who also found the time to write five sports books, none specifically about the Steelers. "People also tell me it's the end of an era, that there will never be an announcer who lasts this long again with a team."

Among those longtime listeners was a Pittsburgh high school star turned NFL player turned Steelers coach - Cowher.

"My dad would listen to his talk show and I would think, `Why would you listen to that?"' Cowher said. "Then I found myself listening to that. I (did) my show with him, and he makes ME feel young."

WWIIOwheelz
02-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Heartbroken

:(

memphissteelergirl
02-27-2008, 12:18 PM
A 21 towel salute to Myron...

:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::t t02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:
:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

Godspeed....

BozMan
02-27-2008, 12:30 PM
RIP Myron. Thanks for making Steelers games so memorable.

Borski
02-27-2008, 12:36 PM
Oh no! I knew he wasn't doing great but I thought he would recover and be around for at least a few more years.

We'll miss you Myron, and look down on the Steelers from up there.

Stu Pidasso
02-27-2008, 12:41 PM
I haven't felt this bad since my own father died. There will never be another one like Cope.

Hope his home in Heaven is Okle Dokle.

Iluvsc2
02-27-2008, 01:00 PM
I was deeply saddened by the phone call I recieved from my mother this morning.
teling me that Myron Cope had passed away. Myron was a good friend to my family. You see my father Larry Garrett and Myron were long time friends and collegues. And after my dad passed away in 1998, Myron remained friends with my mother.
Pittsburagh will be loosing the Voice of the Steelers..His voice is and will be legendary to any one who is a true Pittsburgh Steeler fan.
Our thoughts and prayers are with the Cope family during this time of loss.
Sincerely
Tracy Garrett Stefurak

fansince'76
02-27-2008, 01:06 PM
I was deeply saddened by the phone call I recieved from my mother this morning.
teling me that Myron Cope had passed away. Myron was a good friend to my family. You see my father Larry Garrett and Myron were long time friends and collegues. And after my dad passed away in 1998, Myron remained friends with my mother.
Pittsburagh will be loosing the Voice of the Steelers..His voice is and will be legendary to any one who is a true Pittsburgh Steeler fan.
Our thoughts and prayers are with the Cope family during this time of loss.
Sincerely
Tracy Garrett Stefurak

Welcome to the board, Tracy. Wish this welcome would have been under happier circumstances. God bless.

Jeremy
02-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Rest in Peace Myron.

Dragonrider
02-27-2008, 01:49 PM
RIP Myron, you were truly a giant in the steeler nation and will be truly missed. God Bless.

SCSTILLER
02-27-2008, 01:58 PM
Thank You for the memories Myron! Grew up listening to you with my grandfather watching Steelers games. Some of the happiest days of my life. You will be missed!

swanman12
02-27-2008, 02:13 PM
RIP Myron....#1 Pittsburgh Guy (as my grandpa would say)

HometownGal
02-27-2008, 02:32 PM
http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/images/db/static/myron.jpg

Dizzle43
02-27-2008, 02:35 PM
It is a sad day for all Steeler fans. RIP Myron.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-27-2008, 02:35 PM
RIP Myron.

Buzz05
02-27-2008, 02:43 PM
He ran ninety-three
Like a bat out of hell,
And no one could see
How he rambled so well.
"It was easy," said Andy,
And he flashed a cooked smile,
"I was snapped on the fanny
By the Terrible Towel!"

I think this little tid bit from Myron himself is appropriate to honor the man we all grew up listening to.

Mamaduck43
02-27-2008, 02:48 PM
I was so excited when I finally got a computer and could hear Myron Cope call the games - - - - his voice and expressions would immediately transport me back to the days when I didn't realize that Pittsburgh had an accent!!!!!!!

He added so much to the coverage of the games, and I believe that the enthusiasm that he fired up might have been instrumental in some of our good years..... He never gave up hope, either - - when things weren't going our way....

The world is a sadder place today since he has gone, but I know that there is a big Black and Gold party going on 'upstairs'.......

His impact on all of us will be felt every time we wave our 'terrible towels' to urge our Steelers on.....

R,I.P. Myron Cope - - - - you are already missed........

tunes4life
02-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Ya, that's a big bummer. Myron was the reason many of us fell in love with the Steelers in the first place. I used to watch the game on Sunday and then listen to the entire game again on Monday via the previously free service on NFL.com just to hear Mr. Cope's commentary. It's a sad day for Steeler nation. He brought so much excitement to the airwaves.

We'll miss ya bud

(I used to love how he would talk about The Bus too. That was too funny)

:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

NJarhead
02-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Fare well and Rest in Peace old friend. You will be missed. :tt02:

LVSteelersfan
02-27-2008, 03:05 PM
RIP Myron. I hope you are up there with Harry Caray and Chick Hearn and all the other great announcers throwing one hell of a party. Say hello to the Chief for us as well.

SteelerFanInCA
02-27-2008, 03:24 PM
RIP Myron. You will be missed.

vinny
02-27-2008, 03:24 PM
it's been a while since my last post....but i felt i needed to post today. i heard the news and i was in shock!...i know he's up there talking with the Chief and sharing a big ol' cigar like and talking football steelers football that is.....
R.I.P. Myron...you will be truly missed....and my condulences go out to the Cope Family.......long live the Cope!!!!!

SteelCityMan786
02-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Today being an aspiring Sports Broadcaster, and because Myron was my inspiration to go there, and of course being a Steelers Fan, this is absolutely one of the hardest deaths for me to endure. If it wasn't for Myron, I don't know how much I would want to be a Sports Broadcaster today. Hearing his work made me want to go this route. It's just so hard for me to see him go.

For 35 years he made Steelers Radio Network Broadcasts Great. For 13 seasons I was a live for his final days. But he made listening to those games worthwhile.

Today Myron, you left us hear on earth in body. Forever more you will live on with us in your spirit. From your crazy antics on the radio, to giving us our famous towel. Thank you for inspiring me to become a Sports Broadcaster, I have been reguarded as the next version of you in my school by past teachers.

RIP Myron. I will miss you forever. :tombstone

Cape Cod Steel Head
02-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Rest In Peace Myron You were the Best!

Virginia Steeler
02-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Myron will be missed...

A true original

Stlrs4Life
02-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Yoi, and Double Yoi, RIP Myron. Definately will be missed.

Atlanta Dan
02-27-2008, 05:03 PM
As you might imagine, the memories and tributes are pouring out.

This link is to an interview with Sally Wiggin of WTAE, who speaks of her loss of a friend and which I found very moving.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/video/15427800/index.html

A door has closed on a part of what I loved about Pittsburgh

Hines0wnz
02-27-2008, 05:12 PM
RIP Myron, you will be sorely missed but we know you are calling a great game in the hereafter. :wink02:

Stlrs4Life
02-27-2008, 05:23 PM
To relive some of Myrons sayings go here:

http://www.networksandwebapplications.com/myron/default.html

VTsteel
02-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Double Yoi!

Rest in Peace Brother . . .

"The Terrible Towel is arguably the best-known fan symbol of any major pro sports team, has raised millions of dollars for charity and is displayed at the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Upon Cope's retirement in 2005, team chairman Dan Rooney said, "You were really part of it. You were part of the team. The Terrible Towel many times got us over the goal line."

'09 Superbowl Trophy dedicated to your honor? :tt02:

ARN CITY
02-27-2008, 06:36 PM
RIP Myron

Triple Yoi! :tt02::tt02::tt02:

Steeler in Carolina
02-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Yes, sad indeed. But, the guy lived a good life. RIP

blkngld68
02-27-2008, 07:16 PM
RIP Myron. You will be missed by us in the Steeler Nation.

:tt02::tt02::tt02:

touchdownward
02-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Damn :tombstone

Steelerchickie
02-27-2008, 07:57 PM
Its so sad to know that future generations (like the kids I've yet to have) won't have the great announcers we had. Myron was the best of the best, I was lucky enough to be at the game on October 31, 2005, when the fans twirled their towels just for him. RIP, Myron. You're already sorely missed.

Atlanta Dan
02-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Its so sad to know that future generations (like the kids I've yet to have) won't have the great announcers we had. Myron was the best of the best, I was lucky enough to be at the game on October 31, 2005, when the fans twirled their towels just for him. RIP, Myron. You're already sorely missed.

Great point, but how many fans today grow up learning about sports by listening to sports (as opposed to sports talk) on the radio or reading about it through SI and local newspapers - ESPN rules all.

The two local sports personalities I grew up with as a kid through young adulthood were The Gunner (for those who did not have the pleasure you have no idea how entertaining Bob Prince could be) and, as Prince faded from the scene, Myron.

Not saying those days were better but it certainly was a different way to enjoy sports.

kmsteelerwr15
02-27-2008, 08:39 PM
RIP Myron
thanks for everything
you're one of the reasons why i would like to go into sports broadcasting

X-Terminator
02-27-2008, 09:08 PM
I've had a feeling that this day was coming for the past several months, with his repeated trips to the hospital and the fact that he completely faded out of the scene.

Rest in peace, Myron. You will definitely be missed by all of Steeler Nation. Heaven has a special place waiting just for you. :tt02::tt02:

stillers4me
02-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Pittsburgh and the Steelers Nation has lost an icon. RIP, Myron.

randy06
02-27-2008, 09:33 PM
RIP buddy its a sad day

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
02-27-2008, 09:36 PM
RIP Myron

PAMillerGrrl83
02-27-2008, 09:43 PM
RIP Myron! You will be missed dearly.

k7brown
02-27-2008, 09:59 PM
Great point, but how many fans today grow up learning about sports by listening to sports (as opposed to sports talk) on the radio or reading about it through SI and local newspapers - ESPN rules all.

The two local sports personalities I grew up with as a kid through young adulthood were The Gunner (for those who did not have the pleasure you have no idea how entertaining Bob Prince could be) and, as Prince faded from the scene, Myron.

Not saying those days were better but it certainly was a different way to enjoy sports.

I'm 19 years old, and I grew up listening to Myron Cope. I have lived in Ohio all my life, and my family would listen to the Steelers games when they had those "Cleve Brownies" on the tv. So, I wouldnt say that listening to sports on the radio has completely been phased out. Even up to this season, if the Steelers werent on the tv, I was listening to Bill Hillgrove and company.

Big7BenHOF
02-27-2008, 11:45 PM
RIP Myron, you will be missed by many.

barmeezee
02-28-2008, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the memories

83-Steelers-43
02-28-2008, 12:07 AM
Cope's style resonated with or without a microphone
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, February 28, 2008

You knew Myron, but you didn't know him.

Actually, the proper way to say it would be something along the lines of, "You knew of Myron, but you weren't personally familiar with him."

Cope -- that's how we in media circles often referred to him -- probably would have corrected me on that.

Then, he'd have added a throaty, "Shows how much you know, Pre-shoot-o."

Cope liked to mangle names that way.

He also liked to punctuate such exchanges, most exchanges, actually, with a hearty, "Heh, heh, heh."

That was to let you know you shouldn't take it personally.

And, most likely, because Cope enjoyed getting in the last word even more than he did the first.

You always knew when Cope was checking into another Steelers training camp at St. Vincent College -- that annual occasion upon which Bonaventure Hall was temporarily transformed into what we referred to as The Bonaventure Hilton -- because you could hear the glass liquor bottles clanking off one another in the brown paper bags he was dutifully toting to his room.

"Who wants a TODDY?" Cope would bellow at the conclusion of another steamy afternoon practice when most of us were just hunching over our computers to recount the events of the day.

Cope liked a good toddy.

Cope liked his cigarettes, too.

It didn't matter if he was in the dining hall, out on the practice field or even secure in his seat on the Steelers' charter flight to Cincinnati, Denver or wherever.

The more strenuously he was encouraged to put the thing out, the more determined he became to fire up another one.

But what Cope really liked was telling stories.

If you were fortunate, you got to know Myron before he became the unofficial mascot of Steeler Nation, or at least did your homework after the fact. You were aware of his incredible gift for observing, reporting and chronicling everything and anything from Cassius Clay to Kennedy. That's what earned Myron his much-deserved national acclaim long before a Terrible Towel had ever been waved.

But even if you didn't catch up with him until he had re-invented himself as the creator of clever nicknames such as "Hydroplane Deloplaine" and the like, you were nonetheless thoroughly entertained.

Few have ever balanced the personas of Rock Star and Regular Guy the way Myron did.

Fewer, still, have been equally as comfortable conversing with Sinatra and with Stash, from Munhall.

Cope had an ego. And he had a stubborn streak that ran as long as Fats Holmes' backside ran wide.

But he also had a heart that was bigger than his mouth, and an appreciation for life and the people who live it that had no sideline boundary.

He loved it when people would recognize him in a bar or restaurant.

How could he not?

It gave him the opportunity to tell yet another story about "Chaz Noll" or "The Chief" or whatever happened to be floating about in his "cranium."

If any among you ever left one of those chance encounters disappointed, it was probably because you just weren't paying close enough attention.

Cope's life was a talk show.

And he never stopped hosting.

A good song, a good meal, a great conversation -- it didn't even have to be about the Steelers.

Those were among the things Cope embraced with as much gusto as he could muster.

He was proud of who he was, what he stood for and what he accomplished.

But he never took himself seriously enough that it prevented him from shuffling about The Bonaventure Hilton in only his boxer shorts, an event that had to be witnessed to be truly appreciated.

You knew Myron, but you didn't know him.

You'd have liked him, no matter how badly he mispronounced your name.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_554628.html

Dodt
02-28-2008, 12:43 AM
i'm waving my black terrible towel, hopfully they put up a statue of him holding a the towel above his head in mid wave.:tt02:

Rhee Rhee
02-28-2008, 01:01 AM
oi.... not a great day...

i dont think he can ever be replaced... he'll always be the voice of the steelers...

RIP myron... RIP

im sure he must have had the steelers in his hearts right before he passed...

stillers4me
02-28-2008, 06:22 AM
He was truly one of a kind, once in a lifetime.

plenewken
02-28-2008, 09:11 AM
<--------------------------------------------->
RIP

stillers4me
02-28-2008, 05:42 PM
I would love to hear what he would have had to say about Beliprick and the Cheatriots!

SteelersJW
02-28-2008, 07:52 PM
Only one thing can be said on a day like this:

Yoi!!!

stillers4me
02-28-2008, 08:10 PM
A double Yoi for Myron!

CargoJon
02-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Myron was truly one of the legendary Steeler greats. I have been sad all day today and yesterday.

He was unforgettable, and will be missed terribly.

tony hipchest
02-29-2008, 11:42 AM
very nice write up-

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d806eb417&template=with-video&confirm=true

Cope, the longtime voice of the Steelers, will be missed
By Pat Kirwan | NFL.com

Ask anyone in Pittsburgh who Myron Cope was, and the answer would be the voice of the city.

Cope was the most colorful announcer on the radio in the country. He spoke like a Steelers fan because he was one. He believed in the Steeler way and wanted to see great fundamentals from the players every week. He challenged the Steelers coaches and he did it with a great sense of humor.

He leaves the Steelers family with memories of the greatest Steelers fan to ever live. He invented the "Terrible Towel," which waved supreme at home and away games. As his booth partner, Bill Hilgrove, said to me Wednesday morning, "Today is not a day for the towel to be at half mast, Myron would not have wanted that." It is a day to celebrate the life of one of the great men of the NFL.

Cope once said to the fans, "If you don't bring your Terrible Towel and wave it, the fans next to you will look at you with contempt." Bill Cowher and I had a chance to discuss the passing of Cope and he was quick to remind me that his first relationship with him was growing up in Pittsburgh as a young boy and listening to Cope on the radio at night in the kitchen. Cope was part of the fabric of Pittsburgh. Cowher said it best when he said when a person from Pittsburgh mentions Myron Cope from here on, his name will bring a smile to their face. And if you can do that then you led a good life.

It was great to play a few sound bites on Wednesday for coach Cowher, with Cope in the booth yelling down to Cowher to wake up the offense or to get 'Slash' (former Steelers QB Kordell Stewart) going. Bill just laughed and started talking about the half-hour TV show he and Myron did every week before the Steelers games. Cope wanted answers one time and the game the week before wasn't out of his head just yet and he continued to challenge Cowher.

As Cowher sat and reflected about the passing of the legendary voice of the Steelers he just smiled and said Cope was the extension of the Pittsburgh Steelers, a hard working guy who loved his football no nonsense.

My favorite sound bite from Cope was when he was explaining to Hilgrove, who said Cope was straight from the Vaudeville era, the "God only promises miracles in playoff games" theory. Truth is Cope was a Steelers miracle and will never be replaced.

so smile for myron and remember to never wave the towel at half mast. hold it high with steeler pride, just like he woulda wanted!

:smile: ........ :tt02:

steel striker
02-29-2008, 10:30 PM
RIP Myron you will be missed by all a very sad day for Steeler Nation. So lets keep waving our terrible towels.:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:: tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt 02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

BritishSteel
03-01-2008, 05:41 AM
To those of us a continent and a big ocean away, Myron Cope was the voice of the Steelers - I've been tuning in to the Steelers radio show first on AFN and then through the website and if there's a voice that will for me forever be the voice of the Steelers, it's Myron.

All the best, fella. RIP.

83-Steelers-43
03-01-2008, 09:01 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200802/20080301vwhc19123cope_330.jpg

Former Steelers Franco Harris and Andy Russell, front left, were among the pallbearers yesterday at the private funeral for Myron Cope, who died Wednesday.

TeeJay
03-01-2008, 03:39 PM
And I just got my Terrible Towel yesterday as well.

Well, for years you kept me entertained on the Steelers Radio Network (I think I kept coming back just to make sure that voice wasn't put on) and when you retired try as they might, they couldn't replace the void that was left.

Hell, no one could replace Myron Cope - a one off, an original. You just know he's up there now with Art, looking down and waiting for the next season.

Well, I have my towel now Myron, and I'll be waving it for you this Autumn.

Rest In Pittsburgh.

revefsreleets
03-01-2008, 07:46 PM
My best memory of Myron was after the last game of the 1993 season. We barely edged out the Browns at home to finish 9-7 and sneak into the playoffs as the last wild card team. I remember sitting in the car stuck in horrible post-game traffic ( I was young and dumb and had not yet learned the secrets of getting in and out of the Burgh) and hearing Myron talk about "A possible scenario in which the AFC Championship game could be played in Pittsburgh".

We were the bottom seed in the AFC, and Myron was still talking about hosting championship games and going to the Super Bowl! He was the eternal optimist, even in the face of the facts...

Rest in Peace, Myron. God Bless You!

steelpinstripe72
03-01-2008, 10:28 PM
I'll never forget the time he almost blew out the speakers on my computer during a game. Even if you were only listening on the radio, you could always tell when the big plays were happening, because he'd get all excited.

Thanks for everything, Myron. When you were still in the booth, you made us out-of-towners feel like we were home.

steelpride12
03-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Ya im only 16 years old and never really got to listen or see Myron is action much, but after these 16 years ive learned about his personality and the contributes he has made for the Steelers. Cope was the Steelers true mascot and is a know god around these parts.
His loss is terrible and unspeakable, but im sure even with him in heaven i can see that terrible towel and here YOIII from way down here!
R.I.P. Myron Cope!

GutterflowerSteel
03-02-2008, 01:32 PM
RIP Myron, the Steelers' #1 fan. Now he and God can root for them together :tt02:

Haiku_Dirtt
03-02-2008, 05:37 PM
RIP Myron, the Steelers' #1 fan. Now he and God can root for them together :tt02:

Echo this.

A little guy. Huge man. Gigantic heart.

Atlanta Dan
03-02-2008, 06:04 PM
Myron was such a great guy even Smizik was capable of writing an excellent column to note his passing

Cope was beloved, and he loved right back

The mark of a man is not just by the lives he has touched, because that's only the half of it. The greatness of Cope, as a journalist, as an entertainer and as a human being, was how the other half of the equation played out. He reached back to those adoring fans. And they loved him for it....

An era has ended, a legend has left us.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08062/861894-13.stm

Noteworthy is how Myron remained a great reporter digging for stories even after he focused on radio & TV, unlike most sports talk clowns today.

GutterflowerSteel
03-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Peter King had this to say about Myron in his MMQB column:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/03/02/cleveland/3.html

revefsreleets
03-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Seth Myers gave a salutary terrible towel wave at the end of SNL's "Weekend Update" Saturday Night. Very cool!

Lambertfan
03-03-2008, 09:20 PM
The King of the Steeler Nation is dead...Long Live The King!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will be morning the loss of Myron for the rest of my life.

Steel Buckeye
03-07-2008, 11:24 PM
RIP Myron Cope, thanks for the towel.