PDA

View Full Version : Bens Tall Receiver? Matt Jones?

Dino 6 Rings
02-27-2008, 09:56 AM
With the Jags getting the receiver from the Vikings, Williamson and the lack of love between Jones and Del Rio, could Matt be cut and possibly be a "cheap" #3 guy for us?

Matt is 6' 6" and played QB in College. You know how we love those converted QBs, plus he was 1st round pick, and the Steelers did show some interest back in 2005 for him but took Miller once Jones was off the board.

TackleMeBen
02-27-2008, 10:05 AM
looks like he has the height requirement.:wink02:

srk173
02-27-2008, 10:08 AM
No no they are replacing ernest wilfork. We will take him before matt shitty jones!

RJC
02-27-2008, 10:15 AM
I'd trade a 4th for Matt Jones in a heart beat. Let him learn about the transition from QB to WR behind Hines Ward, a guy who knows how it's supposed to be done....

Dino 6 Rings
02-27-2008, 10:20 AM
Word I heard, is the Jags are so tired of his "laid back" attitude, something I watched here in Arkansas, that they might just Cut the guy. No trade talk. Just cut him right off the roster. The guy is a great player on game day, its his "laid back" attitude that drives people crazy. If you can put up with the "surfer" type attitude, he'd be a great asset.

lilyoder6
02-27-2008, 10:54 AM
he would be b/c the games i watch him play he did do pretty good.. could be a nice addition to the slot.. hopefully he does get cut so if we go after him we wouldn't have to trade

RP_McMurphy
02-27-2008, 11:16 AM
The Jaguars will take a pack of gum for Mattloaf at this point. If you can get him to work hard and hustle your doing one helluva job.

tony hipchest
02-27-2008, 11:24 AM
The Jaguars will take a pack of gum for Mattloaf at this point. If you can get him to work hard and hustle your doing one helluva job.how bout cedric wilson? i would be more than happy taking a shot with jones. seems like he mightve suffered from the "big fish in a small pond" syndrome. perhaps with less pay and not being the big shot in pittsburgh, he can become more productive.

RP_McMurphy
02-27-2008, 11:27 AM
He suffers from lackawanna. He doesn't want to do the hard work and other stuff that it takes to stay in the NFL. Talent is there but he doesn't want to use it.

tony hipchest
02-27-2008, 11:34 AM
He suffers from lackawanna. He doesn't want to do the hard work and other stuff that it takes to stay in the NFL. Talent is there but he doesn't want to use it.
ahhh. randy mossitis, huh?

well the steelers took jerome bettis off of the rams hands for what was perceived to be similar problems. i thought jones would be perfect for our offense coming out of the draft. i'd really like to take a gamble and see if we could make it work now. like you said, you cant teach the talent, size, and speed (straight line, i know) he has.

Michael Keller
02-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Come on guys we are not a rehab center. Lets get new guys with proven toughness and heart. The Steelers need an edge not a soft spot.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2008, 12:19 PM
Never liked Jones his draft year. Gimme a 6 ft WR that can play over a 6'4" guy with "potential"

Effort without talent is painful to watch.........but, talent without effort is a damn shame to see. Bill Parcells

Dino 6 Rings
02-27-2008, 12:46 PM
that's 6'6 not 6'4...

the kid is still young, has the talent, maybe a stint with a Real Team will help to open his eyes to the potential glory of winning it all...I mean...the Jags? Come on, they don't even have history, or a football culture. I'm not sure how motivating it can be to play to non-sell out games at home every single year.

BlastFurnace
02-27-2008, 12:49 PM
There is too much smoke to this fire. I've read over and over again on news sites that Jones just doesn't put forth the effort the coaching staff wants and that sometimes..even teammates have wondered about how bad he wants to play.

No thanks.

Dino 6 Rings
02-27-2008, 01:00 PM
The same thing was said about him by the coaches in College, then on game day, Houston Nutt would basically have the offensive plan of "Matt, make it happen" and the kid would do thing behind center that no-one could have done (Pre McFadden and Jones days) and would make these unbelievable plays.

He's a gamer. The kid shows up on Game Day and makes plays. If he doesn't practice or work out as hard as the hardest guy in the locker room, does that make him really suck? Or does he just "click" on game day.

He Clicks on game day. That's what I saw him do in College, and if I remember correctly, they weren't complaining when he got a touchdown against us this year.

Dino 6 Rings
02-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Besides all these stinking Hogs fans, don't really have an NFL team to root for so they all went out and bought Matt Jone's Jaquars jerseys and I'm sick of seeing them around town. Maybe we can "pick up" Matt Jones, and then draft Felix Jones, then I'll get to see more and more Steelers Jerseys in North West Arkansas!!!!

Almost lost it in the grocery store the other day when I saw a guy with a Steelers sweatshirt and a PITT hat, I couldn't believe it. Thought I was the only one who rooted for both within 500 miles.

Borski
02-27-2008, 01:35 PM
I'd take him, he might not be the hardest worker right now, but he has talent and maybe their is something going on in the Jags locker room. We don't let players slack here so I don't think Tomlin will let it become a problem.

moedap
02-27-2008, 02:10 PM
Plaxico Burress didnt practice the last 6 weeks and look at what he produced on gameday. Just as most didnt know what Plaxico was going through while he was here we dont know what Matt Jones was going through with the Jags. If he can be had for cheap I would go for him.

SteelerFanInCA
02-27-2008, 03:30 PM
If he is released I would at least bring him in for an interview. We'd have nothing to lose at this point in the game.

TackleMeBen
02-27-2008, 04:23 PM
isnt that what people said about ben.. he didnt have a very good work ethic? so they would work great together...lol

Hines0wnz
02-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Why not take a chance on him? Sounds like we could get him for practically nothing. The 4th and 5th receivers we have now are the dime-a-dozen variety. Just cut one of them and if Jones doesn't work out for us, that spot can be filled easily enough with no drop-off in quality from where we are now.

I agree, nothing ventured, nothing gained. A real team with real tradition may light the fire for him.

Dino 6 Rings
02-27-2008, 05:24 PM
I agree, nothing ventured, nothing gained. A real team with real tradition may light the fire for him.

BINGO! Playing for the Jags, I mean...that's just depressing.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2008, 05:26 PM
If he is released I would at least bring him in for an interview. We'd have nothing to lose at this point in the game.

Yup, thats about it. Would not give up a 7th round pick for him.

A tall WR eh? :coffee:

I know I'm new around here, but anybody ever think of starting a thread about maybe getting a big RB??:wink02:

Mistah_Q
02-27-2008, 05:43 PM

I know I'm new around here, but anybody ever think of starting a thread about maybe getting a big RB??:wink02:Preferably one who can beat. . .

. . .no, I'm not going to say it. :sofunny:

I hear Lendale White is almost done running his 40. When the Titans release him, lets bring him in :banana:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2008, 05:53 PM
I hear Lendale White is almost done running his 40. When the Titans release him, lets bring him in :banana:

NFL draft analyst Mo Clarett is calling White "slow and soft", so I hear his stock is falling.

We should look to deal for White, Ron Dayne, TJ Duckett, Greg Jones, or that Miami RB that ate himself out of the NFL...........James Chatman??:banging:

tony hipchest
02-27-2008, 06:37 PM
the bills released anthony thomas!

i still wanna give jones a shot if hes free.

hell, maybe we can even convert him to TE. :chuckle:

Steeler in Carolina
02-27-2008, 06:43 PM
I think a change of scenery may do Jones some good.

lilyoder6
02-27-2008, 09:24 PM
there were a hella lot of players cut 2day.. i think if a-train would take a small salary it wouldn't hurt for him to come in and compete

faneca05
02-27-2008, 09:44 PM
I think picking him up for a second day pick would be great, then we can also use some of the plays we hade with randle el

GBMelBlount
02-27-2008, 10:36 PM

Agreed. Considering his potential, if we could try him out on the cheap, I couldn't imagine not giving him a shot.

Steel Pit
02-28-2008, 12:53 AM
It seems as if some Steelers fans have an interest in any and all free agents or potential free agents. This is starting to remind of a Miss America Pageant, Yes, I would do her, and Oh yes, I wouldn't definitely do her, Oh dude, she's the best looking one yet, OH MY GOD-OH MY GOD, I want to marry her.

Dino 6 Rings
02-28-2008, 09:08 AM
It seems as if some Steelers fans have an interest in any and all free agents or potential free agents. This is starting to remind of a Miss America Pageant, Yes, I would do her, and Oh yes, I wouldn't definitely do her, Oh dude, she's the best looking one yet, OH MY GOD-OH MY GOD, I want to marry her.

as if we haven't heard that before...sigh...

its simple really, I want a #3 receiver worth a dang, so when a guy hits the market or has potential, I'm going to talk about him. Matt Jones was on the board for us during the 05 draft, but instead, he was taken earlier and we took Miller. Bottom line, we need a #3 guy that doesn't drop the ball every other time its thrown his way, and as a #3, you may have 5 balls thrown to you, thats a potential of 2 or 3 huge drops in key moments. Champions don't drop the ball 33% of the time.

When I mentioned Musseh Mohammed (however you spell his name) from Chicago I was told he was too old, not what we needed, we needed to get younger. Matt Jones fits that bill.

I'm looking for the Steelers to fill a need. They need a solid #3, not a guy who might catch it once in a blue moon or drop a TD pass at a key moment.

I'd also like a Freaking Center! But that's not going to happen in the FA Market.

Dino 6 Rings
02-28-2008, 09:12 AM

I know I'm new around here, but anybody ever think of starting a thread about maybe getting a big RB??:wink02:

Maybe its just fun to look around the league and see what guys might fit into our system and discuss things in a football manner. Hear other opinions and debate possible FAs, instead I guess we could just ramble about how much we hate other teams in the league and add nothing of value to a conversation. I suppose that is something we as fans could do. Or we could mention a guy, that we may have watched in College, who was a "potential" pick for us a few drafts ago, that needs to change his team, and is actually in a position that we need a little help at.

Tell you what, the second Revis on the Jets is a Free Agent, I'm all over him being a Steeler. I'm still pssed the Jets pulled that move to jump up and grab him.

lilyoder6
02-28-2008, 10:00 AM
yeah i was pissed they did that too.. i was gonna be so happy when we would of drafted him.. but when they hets did that i went upstairs and starting eating ice cream b/c i was mad.. lol

Tankus_Maximus
02-28-2008, 10:26 AM
I'm all for Matt Jones in black & gold. Put him out there with our big as tight ends, and our big ass QB, we'd have a big ass-team.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Maybe its just fun to look around the league and see what guys might fit into our system and discuss things in a football manner. Hear other opinions and debate possible FAs, instead I guess we could just ramble about how much we hate other teams in the league and add nothing of value to a conversation. I suppose that is something we as fans could do. Or we could mention a guy, that we may have watched in College, who was a "potential" pick for us a few drafts ago, that needs to change his team, and is actually in a position that we need a little help at.

Tell you what, the second Revis on the Jets is a Free Agent, I'm all over him being a Steeler. I'm still pssed the Jets pulled that move to jump up and grab him.

I hear ya. I was a big fan of Lee Suggs or Onterrio Smith their draft years and thought we could have them in the 3rd or 4th as good RB prospects. They never panned out and I can admit I was wrong. I just find it amusing when somebody's bust pick is released and people clamour to pick them up.

I wish Revis was our pick last year. We could have seen some return on our #1 pick rather than a great 4-3 weakside LB watching us play a 3-4.

lilyoder6
02-28-2008, 02:25 PM
i think with bruce under his 2nd yr i think this off could really be something with 2 good wr's two good te's (which i may say could be the best 2 te tandom in the league even tho speath was a rook last yr but he did have what 5 td's??) and we have willie coming back.. so then we would either have davis become stronger and block on running plays or we have a slot guy

cubanstogie
02-28-2008, 03:15 PM
I would rather gamble on drafting a big receiver in later rounds then try to get one via free agency, unless we are talking about a Moss, T.O. caliber type player. The Sean Mahan deal haunts me. We can't afford to over pay a free agent who is not established. Although I do think a big receiver would pay dividends, I personally like Javon Walker, we will be better off with the receivers we have and getting a solid offensive linemen. If Ben had time to throw we wouldn't even be talking about receivers. We would have been running the ball down their throats and hitting our BIG tight ends. Santonio will have a great year and Hines will be a solid possesion receiver next year, in my opinion we don't need to waste money on a free agent receiver. Take one late in the draft and hope we find a Jerry Rice. Special teams and O-line is where we need to make the biggest strides for next year IMHO. We have sucked at all aspects of ST's except for FG's in the last 7 years or so and I am really tired of it.

TackleMeBen
02-28-2008, 03:38 PM
If Ben had time to throw we wouldn't even be talking about receivers.

we are talking about recievers b/c ben opened his big mouth stating he wanted a taller reciever than what was already on the team..lol... (you know his wish list:wink02:)

bratsinmybelly
02-28-2008, 11:34 PM
I've said before, and I'll continue to say that if Matt gets cut, he will be an absolute steal for someone. I hope it's us.

Rhee Rhee
03-01-2008, 02:10 AM
I'd trade a 4th for Matt Jones in a heart beat

athletically he's worth a 4th... in all actuality and abilities as a reciever he's a 6th round flier...