PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kiper is going crazy

19ward86
02-27-2008, 04:51 PM
i was watching NFL live and at the bottem of the screen it showed Mel's mock draft and he believes the best player at the OL position left for us is Chilo Rachal from USC he is a guard. most of you have probably never heard of him because he is projected to be drafted anywhere from the 3rd round to the 4th round....so why would he suggest us drafting him in the 1st round?

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/chilo-rachal?id=782

rbryan
02-27-2008, 05:02 PM
I wonder if theres ever been a situation where a GM liked a player that was available but then thought, Geez we can't take him, that clown Kiper said thats who we should take. It's gotta be the wrong decision.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Yeah and Kiper said the steelers would regret taking Burress over Pennington too. Rachal is a good guard prospect, but I dont know that he is better right now than Simmons, Colon or Kemoatu.

Dino 6 Rings
02-27-2008, 05:17 PM
People try to out think the room too often and look brilliant and aren't held accountable when they turn out to be morons.

best players in this draft are, Daren McFadden or Glenn Dorsey. Both were STUDS on their teams in the SEC Conference (Which I HATE) and that shows me, both are ready to Start and go on day one.

Chris Long and Jake Long coming in right after that. The rest is all debatable, but to take a Gaurd from USC and compare him to the type of impact the top 5 guys will have. Stupid really.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm in the McFadden doubter camp. Yeah he has performed, but again the hashmarks being wider in college allow speed players to outrun defenders and get to a seam or block.

In the NFL a guy like Reggie Bush finds out you cant run east- west until you find a hole.....you gotta run between the tackles!!!!

If McFadden can learn to run between the tackles then he can be a success.

Tashard Choice is a sleeper that runs north-south well, but might be Duce staley-esque on the injury front.

Give It To Abercrombie
02-27-2008, 06:07 PM
People try to out think the room too often and look brilliant and aren't held accountable when they turn out to be morons.

best players in this draft are, Daren McFadden or Glenn Dorsey. Both were STUDS on their teams in the SEC Conference (Which I HATE) and that shows me, both are ready to Start and go on day one.

Chris Long and Jake Long coming in right after that. The rest is all debatable, but to take a Gaurd from USC and compare him to the type of impact the top 5 guys will have. Stupid really.

Did I miss something? Where did he say Rachal would be comparable to a top 5 guy??? :banging:

"most of you have probably never heard of him because he is projected to be drafted anywhere from the 3rd round to the 4th round....so why would he suggest us drafting him in the 1st round?" :banging:

Um, I haven't seen a single draft that didn't have in gone by the end of the second. I expect him to be gone by the time we pick in the 2nd.

Do I want him to be our first round pick? No.
Do I want any guard in the first two rounds? No.
Am I happy with Kemo, Colon, Simmons at guard? For now.
But let's not go crazy here either.....:cheers:

lilyoder6
02-27-2008, 09:26 PM
chris long had an amazing day at the combine.. i think he is going to be a phenom in the nfl..

Rhee Rhee
02-28-2008, 01:07 AM
i was watching NFL live and at the bottem of the screen it showed Mel's mock draft and he believes the best player at the OL position left for us is Chilo Rachal from USC he is a guard. most of you have probably never heard of him because he is projected to be drafted anywhere from the 3rd round to the 4th round....so why would he suggest us drafting him in the 1st round?

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/chilo-rachal?id=782

i agree with kiper.. when i first saw it was like no otah? or no williams? but the guy makes sense... he knows what he's doing... he's definitely not another mike mayock...

people might not realize what kind of whole alan faneca leaves once he leaves... that LG position is soon becoming the most important position on the o-line next to the LT... in the running game it's definitely up to the LG... i definitely see us considering rachal but hopefully we can nab him in the 2nd round...

LambertIsGod58
02-28-2008, 02:12 AM
chris long had an amazing day at the combine.. i think he is going to be a phenom in the nfl..

Kiper said that in his opinion, Long is the best DL prospect to come out in the last 20 years. That's saying alot. I'm routin' for him since Howie was a Steelers fan growin up.

ShutDown24
02-28-2008, 02:19 AM
LOL sorry, I just read the title of this thread and it really made me laugh. Kiper is going crazy now!? Look at the dudes hair! His life completely surrounds the NFL draft and college football in general, he does sit-ups during commercial breaks on his radio show and likes the city of Baltimore. Yeah, he is just going crazy now. LMAO.

lilyoder6
02-28-2008, 10:03 AM
it's prob hard to keep his hair like it is... i would hope kiper would know what he is talking about b/c him and mayock all they do is the draft.. so they should know about the players, etc...

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-28-2008, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=Rhee Rhee;371004]i agree with kiper.. when i first saw it was like no otah? or no williams? but the guy makes sense... he knows what he's doing... he's definitely not another mike mayock...

QUOTE]

You are right, Kiper is no Mayock. Mayock played at Boston College, actually did all the drills they do at the combine and played 2 years as a DB and kick returner for the NY Giants.

Mel Kiper is a draftnik that followed college players and wrote a scouting report each year of college players and got picked up by ESPN to do that very same thing. Kiper is somewhat flamboyant in his presentation and I cant help but remember him calling guys like Charles Rogers and Thomas Jones cant miss prospects, or saying the Steelers made a big mistake taking Plaxico over Chad Pennington(who would you want now?)

Mayock actually breaks down film and states the facts. Fact is Rachal is a good guard prospect, but he's not even on the same level as Ben Grubbs who came out last year.

Face it. Simmons, Kemoatu, Colon and Mahan are not Pro Bowlers,but neither is Rachal. Guys like Otah, Nicks, Albert, Williams all have better upsides and considering our 2 best OT's are Smith(playing his last season as a Steeler) and Starks(who was a backup this season) it makes more sense to take one of the top 5 OT's this year.

Kiper and his lettuce are going crazy.

DACEB
02-29-2008, 07:32 AM
I'm not defending whether or not Rachal is a 1st round pick, but who says he's not.

If we pick 1.23 and then 2.56, then is'nt any player that we feel wo'nt last until 2.56 a 1st round prospect for us? If the team scouts the player and likes the player for their system, and the player is drafted and performs well, is'nt that value?

Rhee Rhee
03-01-2008, 02:28 AM
[QUOTE=Rhee Rhee;371004]i agree with kiper.. when i first saw it was like no otah? or no williams? but the guy makes sense... he knows what he's doing... he's definitely not another mike mayock...

QUOTE]

You are right, Kiper is no Mayock. Mayock played at Boston College, actually did all the drills they do at the combine and played 2 years as a DB and kick returner for the NY Giants.

Mel Kiper is a draftnik that followed college players and wrote a scouting report each year of college players and got picked up by ESPN to do that very same thing. Kiper is somewhat flamboyant in his presentation and I cant help but remember him calling guys like Charles Rogers and Thomas Jones cant miss prospects, or saying the Steelers made a big mistake taking Plaxico over Chad Pennington(who would you want now?)

Mayock actually breaks down film and states the facts. Fact is Rachal is a good guard prospect, but he's not even on the same level as Ben Grubbs who came out last year.

Face it. Simmons, Kemoatu, Colon and Mahan are not Pro Bowlers,but neither is Rachal. Guys like Otah, Nicks, Albert, Williams all have better upsides and considering our 2 best OT's are Smith(playing his last season as a Steeler) and Starks(who was a backup this season) it makes more sense to take one of the top 5 OT's this year.

Kiper and his lettuce are going crazy.

i'm glad ur listening to a guy who puts mendenhall over mcfadden... and brandon flowers as his #1 rated CB propsect and phillip wheeler isn't anywhere in his top 5 LB prospects but a guy named jo-lonn dumbar is... name what college he went to w/o googling him and i'll be surprised.. and also how dajuan morgan is his #1 rated safety....

one week ago mayock said he watched the BCS championship game for the first time... was this man under a rock during college football season? trust who u want to trust fine by me

if you've been in the buisness for a long time u must be good... so he makes a mistakes sometimes... if u can predict a perfect mock draft and a perfect fit for any team i'll be surprised... remember this is also the guy that said stay away from blair thomas and ryan leaf...

and i'm sorry but ya i'd love to grab one of the top 5 linemen... but they all went off the board before we got to pick..

and to say nicks has more upside than rachal... :coffee:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2008, 01:13 PM
[QUOTE=El-Gonzo Jackson;371069]

i'm glad ur listening to a guy who puts mendenhall over mcfadden... and brandon flowers as his #1 rated CB propsect and phillip wheeler isn't anywhere in his top 5 LB prospects but a guy named jo-lonn dumbar is... name what college he went to w/o googling him and i'll be surprised.. and also how dajuan morgan is his #1 rated safety....

one week ago mayock said he watched the BCS championship game for the first time... was this man under a rock during college football season? trust who u want to trust fine by me

if you've been in the buisness for a long time u must be good... so he makes a mistakes sometimes... if u can predict a perfect mock draft and a perfect fit for any team i'll be surprised... remember this is also the guy that said stay away from blair thomas and ryan leaf...

and i'm sorry but ya i'd love to grab one of the top 5 linemen... but they all went off the board before we got to pick..

and to say nicks has more upside than rachal... :coffee:

Personally I would take Mendenhall and Stewart over McFadden. The masses thought Eggerin James being drafted ahead of Ricky Williams was crazy. Darrin Nelson and Gerald Riggs ahead of Marcus Allen ............anybody???

I dont like Flowers either that high. He looks like a pure cover 2 corner. As for Wheeler, I had to google him and found at NFL.com he is cited as having an "erratic senior season" so maybe he should be #6 and Dunbar #5???

The sour grapes I detect over DaJuan Morgan probably means you are a Kenny Philips pimp....right?? The U aint what it used to be and Phillips is not Sean Taylor, Bennie Blades or Ed Reed.

You may be right, but I happen to think not all of these guys will be gone by #23. (Jake Long, Ryan Clady, Jeff Otah, Chris Williams, Brandon Albert, Gosder Cherilus).

Considering all the other great talent at CB, RB, DT, DE, OLB, WR in the first round I dont see that 25% of the first 22 picks will be O linemen.

Leave Rachal until the 2nd.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2008, 03:38 PM
I just found this mock draft of Kiper's......its from Jan 22. Its from before the Senior Bowl, so I expect his upcoming one in march to change quite a bit.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-01-2008, 03:48 PM
I have Chilo Rachal as one of the best two Guards but a second round pick

Rhee Rhee
03-01-2008, 04:19 PM
[QUOTE=Rhee Rhee;371623]

Personally I would take Mendenhall and Stewart over McFadden. The masses thought Eggerin James being drafted ahead of Ricky Williams was crazy. Darrin Nelson and Gerald Riggs ahead of Marcus Allen ............anybody???

I dont like Flowers either that high. He looks like a pure cover 2 corner. As for Wheeler, I had to google him and found at NFL.com he is cited as having an "erratic senior season" so maybe he should be #6 and Dunbar #5???

The sour grapes I detect over DaJuan Morgan probably means you are a Kenny Philips pimp....right?? The U aint what it used to be and Phillips is not Sean Taylor, Bennie Blades or Ed Reed.

You may be right, but I happen to think not all of these guys will be gone by #23. (Jake Long, Ryan Clady, Jeff Otah, Chris Williams, Brandon Albert, Gosder Cherilus).

Considering all the other great talent at CB, RB, DT, DE, OLB, WR in the first round I dont see that 25% of the first 22 picks will be O linemen.

Leave Rachal until the 2nd.

first of all mendenhall didn't become a full time starter until this year... he played behind a guy named pierre thomas who was an UDFA in last year's draft and now plays for NO...

i have sour grapes over kenny phillips and dajuan morgan? damn straight i do i honestly think if your to look at most mock drafts around the web 95-99% of them will have kenny phillips going before dajuan morgan...

hmm let's see teams with O-line as a NEED that pick b4 us: Miami, St. Louis, Atlanta, Oakland, Kansas City, Denver, Chicago, Detroit, Arizona, Houston, Philidelphia,

while i don't think all of them will take a O-lineman there's a possibility that otah, long, clady, williams nd ether cherilus/baker are taken before we pick...

Lukin83
03-01-2008, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE=El-Gonzo Jackson;371069]

and brandon flowers as his #1 rated CB propsect

At least 10 NFL GMs have been quoted as saying Flowers is the best CB in the draft. Just thought you should know.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2008, 05:51 PM
[QUOTE=Rhee Rhee;371623]

At least 10 NFL GMs have been quoted as saying Flowers is the best CB in the draft. Just thought you should know.

Thats only because they will not pay extra to be an ESPN insider and are watching Mayock on the NFL network for free:wink02:

Rhee Rhee
03-01-2008, 05:58 PM
[QUOTE=Rhee Rhee;371623]

id be glad to hear who they are... :coffee:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2008, 06:05 PM
[QUOTE=El-Gonzo Jackson;371752]

first of all mendenhall didn't become a full time starter until this year... he played behind a guy named pierre thomas who was an UDFA in last year's draft and now plays for NO...and Tom Brady sat behind Drew Henson at Michigan, so I guess experience is everything eh? Did you see any Saints games last year?? Pierre Thomas looked really good averaging 4.8 YPC while Reggie Bush had 3.7YPC. Thomas beat out 4th round pick Antonio Pittman for the Saints roster spot. This just in....Mendenhall had to sit because Thomas is a good back.

i have sour grapes over kenny phillips and dajuan morgan? damn straight i do i honestly think if your to look at most mock drafts around the web 95-99% of them will have kenny phillips going before dajuan morgan... So if Mayock doesnt agree with 99% of the mock drafts he is wrong?? Are you a member or leader of the FLAT EARTH SOCIETY??

hmm let's see teams with O-line as a NEED that pick b4 us: Miami, St. Louis, Atlanta, Oakland, Kansas City, Denver, Chicago, Detroit, Arizona, Houston, Philidelphia,

while i don't think all of them will take a O-lineman there's a possibility that otah, long, clady, williams nd ether cherilus/baker are taken before we pick...

Could happen that all those guys are gone, but face it.....If Miami takes Jake Long, then St Louis isnt going for Clady #2 and Atlanta #3 Chris Williams, then Oakland Otah because they are the best available. If it does happen, then we just take Brandon Albert or the best D-lineman available and target Carl Nicks or Heath Benedict in the 2nd.

My point is Kipers mock is old and probably not relevant. Should wait till he puts out a new one. I prefer Mayock's opinion because he backs up his rationale with film study and he knows the game as an ex pro. I dont know that Kiper ever picked up a football in his life.

Lukin83
03-01-2008, 07:16 PM
[QUOTE=Lukin83;371863]

id be glad to hear who they are... :coffee:

No names mentioned, but here is the link: http://www.tfydraft.com/news.php?newsID=63

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2008, 09:44 PM
[QUOTE=Rhee Rhee;371879]

No names mentioned, but here is the link: http://www.tfydraft.com/news.php?newsID=63

Wow.....I really think of him as a cover 2 guy because he lacks great speed to go deep with WR's. Then again, Asante Samuel isnt exactly a speedster, but plays the ball well.

Rhee Rhee
03-02-2008, 02:26 AM
i have my doubts about flowers...

but then again i'm no NFL GM...

Steeldude
03-02-2008, 03:08 AM
can mcfadden even break a tackle? i know he is fast, but in the few games i have watched him play and the highlight videos, i see no body lean. he runs upright too much. he isn't very big either. that style of running could take its toll in the NFL.

didn't all of the arkansas RBs do well?

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-02-2008, 10:45 AM
can mcfadden even break a tackle? i know he is fast, but in the few games i have watched him play and the highlight videos, i see no body lean. he runs upright too much. he isn't very big either. that style of running could take its toll in the NFL.

That's the question that some are asking. 6'2" 210, with breakaway speed, but thin legs that doesnt break a lot of tackles when first contacted. Kind of reminds me of Jerious Norwood of the Falcons (5'11", 200lbs).

Elvis
03-03-2008, 01:36 PM
IF the Steelers could just find the courage to go out in free agency and sign us a great Center to take Mahans place and move him to LG then we would be set I think. Mahan is a G not a Center. I think that the Steelers are not gonna be able to keep Starks even though they transitioned him. That is just too much $$$ for him. Steelers need to draft a LOT in the draft if there is a quality one left and either let him set behind Marvell Smith one year or move Marvell back to his original spot at ROT.
:helmet:

Rhee Rhee
03-04-2008, 06:48 PM

same can be said about AP... he almost led the league in rushing... but i definitely see what you mean by it could take it's toll...