PDA

View Full Version : Tedy Bruschi Comeback Kid

Livinginthe past
10-31-2005, 09:51 AM
If ever the reappearance of one player over shadowed a whole game...this was the game.

The fans were pumped to see Tedy B out on the field pre-match and again for the coin toss - Foxboro doesnt get much noisier than that.

I have to confess my doubts as to how many defensive plays Tedy would be able to take part in....he seemed a little out of puff when he got subbed for Beisel on the Bills 3rd drive.

Amazingly, he was on the field for 64 of the 77 defensive plays and participated in special teams all night aswell!

Doubts about his 'motor' skills and ability to diagnose plays can now be put to rest - the way he homed in on a reverse in the first quarter was awesome - the tackle was slightly mis-timed but enough to cancel the momentum of the runner until the rest of the D arrived.

As far as the game goes - it was a case of same old Patriots - not the Patriots of the last 4 years though....the Patriots of the first 6 weeks of this season was the one who reared its ugly malfunctioning head again.

The D couldnt get off the field in the first half - they done just about everything they could to prolong the Bills drives - mostly by gifting penalties at inopportune moments.

The offense had its momentum killed by penalties aswell - Patrick Pass's first big run of the night was pulled back for a holding call - I lost count of the holding calls given up by both sides on the night......

We also had another Patriot end up in the infirmary - Patrick Pass who was looking dominant in the early going - pulled up lame with a suspected hamstring tear in the first half (he dropped the ball for a fumble while clutching at his hamstring)

Duane Starks was a mess most of the night - it wasnt the fact that he was getting beat man-2-man that was troubling - it was the fact that he seems to lose all track of where he should be on alot of the defensive plays and he was certainly at fault for the Bills longest TD of the year.

The problem of course is that we have no-one left to come in for him - with 6 DB's injured maybe we will have to give 1st year rookie Ellis Hobbs some more snaps as starter.

The Patriots win and move to 4-3 - but we havent shown the degree of improvement I had hoped for after the bye week.

Cheers

NM

SteelR1
10-31-2005, 10:29 AM
He did have a very emotional impact of the team. What a great player!!!

Suitanim
10-31-2005, 10:31 AM
I only watched part of the game, but from what I saw, the ESPN crew spent entirely too much of their time commenting on his return, and not nearly enough on the game. It's a nice story, but the football game should come first, and the human interest story second, not vice-versa...

Prosdo
10-31-2005, 10:40 AM
Nice to see Tedy back. Good luck to him.

Livinginthe past
10-31-2005, 10:43 AM
I only watched part of the game, but from what I saw, the ESPN crew spent entirely too much of their time commenting on his return, and not nearly enough on the game. It's a nice story, but the football game should come first, and the human interest story second, not vice-versa...

You will get nothing but agreement from this Patriot fan.

There are quite a few threads over at the Pats board bemoaning the terrible job ESPN done with this game.

The interviews with Kraft dominating the screen while the game was stuck up in a small corner of the screen was hugely frustrating.

Lets not forget that Suzy Kolbert was chattering away inanely on at least two turnovers - we had to make do trying to see it while it was placed into a small box at the top of the screen again.

The talking heads in the studio are embarrasing (no change there then) - I give you a quote from Theismann - "That wasn't even a quarterback sneak, that was just Tom Brady coming up to the line and doing something."

At least the male presenters are ex-players - which is no excuse for their awful coverage for the game - but you can at least work out what ESPN were TRYING to accomplish by employing them....but what do the likes of Kolber actually bring to the game?

I wonder if they have decided that the average male football fan would be intimidated by a female presenter who actually KNEW something about football - instead of providing us with presentation that comes off as little more than a gossip column.

Cheers

NM

RoethlisBURGHer
10-31-2005, 12:04 PM
Didn't watch the game,I ended up going to my girlfriend's house.

But I am glad to see Teddy back.I was worried that he wouldn't be able to do much,but from the highlights,he looked fine.

Avoid LLoyd1975
10-31-2005, 01:41 PM
Good to see him back but too much commentary on him. Good emotional leader who i could see coaching someday.

Steel - X
10-31-2005, 01:43 PM
He did look fine but he did look a little exhausted but thats from no preseason conditioning. First game back an almost played all the snaps. Gotta love the heart.

Speaking of the sunday night commentators though have any of you watched a game when Vick was playing and they were the commentators? that is worse.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-31-2005, 02:12 PM
Its a great story about a guy who just loves football and his teammates.. He's the consumate NFL player and the heart of the defense !!

clevestinks
11-01-2005, 05:48 AM
I`m not a doctor, so I don`t know if it is really safe to comeback. But the guy must be a warrior. Props to him. I do hope he has nothing but good health. Lose some football games, But good health. :busted:

BB2W
11-01-2005, 09:46 AM
I have never been a big Teddy Bruschi fan, actually quite the opposite... I guess I have to be happy for him, and it is a good story... plus he played great. I hope he stays healthy.

He is milking this thing more than Curt Schilling would. :busted: