PDA

View Full Version : Steelers tender offer to four players

83-Steelers-43
02-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Steelers tender offer to four players
Thursday, February 28, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers issued a one-year contract tender today of $1,417,000 to wide receiver Nate Washington, a restricted free agent, Washington's agent, Tom Tafelski, said.

They also issued tenders to three others: offensive tackle Trai Essex, guard Chris Kemoeatu, and long-snapper Greg Warren. They did not make one to linebacker Andre Frazier, thus making him an unrestricted free agent.

The Steelers refused to divulge publicly the amount of the tenders issued to each player, although they must set those amounts when they report the moves to the NFL today.

The amount of the tenders is important because it will determine what compensation the Steelers receive if a player signs elsewhere and they decline to match. The amounts of the one-year tenders can range from $2,562,000 to $927,000 and the compensation can range from first- and third-round draft picks to none.

By giving Washington his tender, the Steelers not only maintain their rights to match any contract he might sign with another team, starting tomorrow, but they would receive a second-round draft pick in return if they decline to match.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08059/861232-66.stm

BlastFurnace
02-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Good news on all fronts.

polamalu82
02-28-2008, 04:22 PM
I figured Frazier would be the odd man out.

slippy
02-28-2008, 04:30 PM
i'd love to get a 2nd round pick for washington (sorry nate, but you're still "potential")

rbryan
02-28-2008, 04:35 PM
I think we could have offered him 3rd round money and still been able to keep him.

If not I would have gladly taken a 3rd rd pick for him. Oh well, what do I know.

lilyoder6
02-28-2008, 04:46 PM
i like all the tenders that they made.. so it looks like that they know frazier might not be able to sign somewhere and bring him back at min sal.

Stlrs4Life
02-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Good moves. Don't care what anybody says, I still like Nate.

aclark99
02-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Good moves by the Steelers. I think we need to trade or release Cedric Wilson. He is making to much money to be the #4 WR. If Nate is going to be the #3 WR, why are we paying Cedric. This frees up more salary cap space for a possible free agent signing.

Dino 6 Rings
02-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Good moves. Don't care what anybody says, I still like Nate.

I bash Nate, but I do like him as well, he just has to hold on to the ball. As a #3 he may get 4 or 5 balls thrown to him a game, unlike Ward who will get 8 thrown his way, and drop 1 or 2, he'll still make 6 catches...if Nate drops 1 or 2 of the 5 thrown his way, that's 3 catches, 2 drops. Ugh. His drops kill us more because he gets thrown to less. A 3rd and 6, 7 yard hitch, with the pass getting dropped is huge, every single time.

19ward86
02-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Nate is Hines' future replacement, although we could trade up to get Jake Long if we got the pick. I dont know what i want....we will see i guess.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Good moves by the Steelers. I think we need to trade or release Cedric Wilson. He is making to much money to be the #4 WR. If Nate is going to be the #3 WR, why are we paying Cedric. This frees up more salary cap space for a possible free agent signing.

I think you are right. Have to see if an upgraded vet WR is waived and/or add another thru the draft.

Give It To Abercrombie
02-28-2008, 06:10 PM
I think we could have offered him 3rd round money and still been able to keep him.

If not I would have gladly taken a 3rd rd pick for him. Oh well, what do I know.

There is no '3rd round money'.

There is $927k which gets you a pick in the same round the guy was drafted in. Nate was undrafted so we'd get nothing.

There is $1.4M which gets you a 2nd round pick.

There is $2M which gets you a 1st round pick.

There is $2.5M which gets you a 1st and a 3rd.

No other compensation packages.

SteelCityMan786
02-28-2008, 06:33 PM
These are move they had to make. Nice Job.

TackleMeBen
02-28-2008, 06:46 PM
they should have offered washington some glue to put on his gloves so he can hold on to the ball.

Crushzilla
02-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Damn...

I'm so close to being rid of Washington forever...

lilyoder6
02-28-2008, 09:46 PM
what about the black stuff that the kid put on in the movie lil giants.. he needs to get some of that..

Preacher
02-29-2008, 12:01 AM
Sure is sad that they banned Stickem....

Nate would be a hall of famer with that!!

Galax Steeler
02-29-2008, 04:27 AM
Sure is sad that they banned Stickem....

Nate would be a hall of famer with that!!

:toofunny::toofunny:

coachspeak33
02-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Its unfortunate that Nate freaking Washington and Cedric Wilson are both set to make around double of what Santonio makes.....Ugggh

The Offseason = Steelers kryptonite

sucks to see teams (GB's handling of Corey Williams for example) get better by moving currents players who have developed into assets and gain picks in return

One would think that a team such as the steelers who love to build through the draft would be able to make some hay with additional picks

and to beat most of you simpletons (HTG?) to the punch, I will say it for you.....

"go root for the redskins"......I know, I know questioning the Steelers FO...blasphomy!!!

fansince'76
02-29-2008, 10:33 AM
and to beat most of you simpletons (HTG?) to the punch, I will say it for you.....

"go root for the redskins"......I know, I know questioning the Steelers FO...blasphomy!!!

Steelers = most postseason appearances by any team in the league since '92 (without cheating, no less). Proof's in the pudding.

The Duke
02-29-2008, 10:52 AM
sucks to see teams (GB's handling of Corey Williams for example) get better by moving currents players who have developed into assets and gain picks in return

and how does that mean they improved? season hasn't stated yet, and it happens every year, this teams make lots of moves and in the season they fail

Steelers = most postseason appearances by any team in the league since '92 (without cheating, no less).

exactly!

coachspeak33
02-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Steelers = most postseason appearances by any team in the league since '92 (without cheating, no less). Proof's in the pudding.

Yup....you got that right:tt02:

just imagine where we would be if we were ahead of the curve in personnel decisions

I read this site alot....out of town Yinzer....i respect your knowledge 76.... a great deal in fact

I would imagine your not too pleased with how Colbert handled
-Faneca's inevitable departure with nothing in return
-the Starks/Colon situation that ended with the backup gaining leverage (and in turn our beloved steelers losing leverage)...how much leverage??? how bout a deal that leaves the steelers two options...
A)we pay starks $7mil/1 season, making him nearly highest paid player
B)we match another teams multi year offer
C)we lose him with no compensation
-after his recent tender offer Nate W (along w/ Ced) are overpaid underacheiving WRs in Arians pass happy offense
-Mahan signing

all of this makes me feel for Ben....his prime years might be wasted...IF his oline allows him to witness his own 30th birthday

Not trolling 76, honestly

Colbert must wake up every morning, walk directly under a ladder on his way to the bathroom...then break a mirror while opening up an umbrella indoors:wink02:

Hey Mr. Colbert....i wouldnt waste any time buying lottery tickets if i were you....cuz you havent been very lucky as of late

coachspeak33
02-29-2008, 11:05 AM
and how does that mean they improved? season hasn't stated yet, and it happens every year, this teams make lots of moves and in the season they fail

exactly!

true...the season hasnt started...but they (cleve) did add a better player at a position of need....will it solve all of their problems??? lets hope not

but look at it from this perspective

We would like to improve our DL....what if we added Justin Smith? wouldnt you feel better about our DL???

I know were not going to get him (and i dont want him for the money SF will probably pay him)....im just saying every offseason each team identifies its weaknesses and attempts to make that position, at the very least, less of a wekaness

we fill this site with opinions of the steelers deficiencies and wax poetic about possible solutions....meanwhile Colbert makes decisions that typically end up contradicting themselves a few months later

Edman
02-29-2008, 11:29 AM

If that were the case, the Steelers would've sucked for all of these years, and the Browns and Redskins would be the perennial winners.

The complaining is in full swing. Free Agency in Steeler Land at it's finest.

coachspeak33
02-29-2008, 11:35 AM

If that were the case, the Steelers would've sucked for all of these years, and the Browns and Redskins would be the perennial winners.

The complaining is in full swing. Free Agency in Steeler Land at it's finest.

so you agree with offering a 7mil tender to your backup T...the same one you benched for a first year starter who was a second day pick if my memory serves me correct?

not fightin' words Edman....just curious:cheers:

Edman
02-29-2008, 11:44 AM
so you agree with offering a 7mil tender to your backup T...the same one you benched for a first year starter who was a second day pick if my memory serves me correct?

not fightin' words Edman....just curious:cheers:

I can't say I do. That said, the Steelers could have a plan to move Colon inside or at Center.

These aren't the Pirates we're talking about. The Steelers have earned the benefit of the doubt.

rbryan
02-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Starks will never see $7mill, at least not here. That move was all about keeping your options open and to call his bluff. If Starks is only offered a reasonable contract elsewhere we can now match it as opposed to watching him ride off into the sunset with no recourse.

If he doesn't sign a long term deal he won't be here this year.

tony hipchest
02-29-2008, 11:52 AM
the starks move was a good one that totally had me baffled at 1st. the steelers will get an accurate guage on what the actual market is for starks rather than trying to guess or establish the market themselves. very sound business move if you ask me.

coachspeak33
02-29-2008, 11:56 AM
I can't say I do. That said, the Steelers could have a plan to move Colon inside or at Center.

These aren't the Pirates we're talking about. The Steelers have earned the benefit of the doubt.

agreed....

you bring up an interesting point edman....the steelers coaching staff has always demonstrated the ability to develop players....but imagine if they had more talent to coach up

and i am sure youll agree that IF they decide to convert colon to C....a prolongued period of adjustment is not a lock, but a darn good possibility

Colberts spends much of his time making up for his previous decision

latest example....obligated to overpay for an inconsistent Nate W in his RFA year simply because he completely blew the Wilson signing

this is a reoccuring theme for Mr Colbert

this time last year Colbert was forced to make a decision on Max Starks...look where that got us

Colberts inability to know his own personnel painted the steelers franchise in a corner this offseason...nothing new

coachspeak33
02-29-2008, 12:04 PM
the starks move was a good one that totally had me baffled at 1st. the steelers will get an accurate guage on what the actual market is for starks rather than trying to guess or establish the market themselves. very sound business move if you ask me.

this all could have been avoided this time last year tho dont ya think

we controlled max's future when he was a RFA last spring

colbert botched that....max didnt sign an extension which many on this site applauded

then since the writing was on the wall in camp, tomlin benched max for then-novice Colon,........NOW MAX COULD POSSIBLY BE THE STEELERS HIGHEST PAID OLman

WOW:jawdrop::jawdrop:talk about mismanagement

lilyoder6
02-29-2008, 12:08 PM
we should of gave alan a extension after the sb or the yr after 8-8 to have another 2-3 yrs.. but i hope the fo knows what they are doing

tony hipchest
02-29-2008, 12:19 PM
this all could have been avoided this time last year tho dont ya think

we controlled max's future when he was a RFA last spring

colbert botched that....max didnt sign an extension which many on this site applauded

then since the writing was on the wall in camp, tomlin benched max for then-novice Colon,........NOW MAX COULD POSSIBLY BE THE STEELERS HIGHEST PAID OLman

WOW:jawdrop::jawdrop:talk about mismanagement

did you read this article?

The Steelers did make one significant contract offer before free agency began; it went to backup offensive tackle Max Starks. They tendered him the required one-year deal of $6,895,000 when they made him their transition player last week.

Of course, Starks will never see that money from the Steelers. He has not yet signed the tender, but the Steelers cannot afford to pay him that much money for 2008. Not only would it collapse their salary cap plans, it would make him the highest-paid player on the team.

Either coach Mike Tomlin and his new staff made a monumental mistake when they bumped Starks from his starting job at right tackle after two years last season in favor of Willie Colon, or the Steelers had other things in mind when they made him their transition player.

It does buy them an extra seven days if Starks signs elsewhere, because they can elect to match any contract he signs in free agency and keep him (if they do not, he leaves without compensation). Had they not made him their transition player, Starks could have signed elsewhere for a relative pittance and the Steelers would have had little recourse.

Now, the Steelers hope Starks does sign elsewhere for a pittance because it would be easy for them to match. If he signs for a lot, they can let him go. But what if he wants to come in and sign the one-year deal for nearly $7 million? It's likely they will pull the offer before he can find a pen.

im not gonna hit the panic button or call for colberts head just yet. he has no control over the market increasing exponentally for a player of starks size (it doesnt matter if he has lead feet or flat out sucks).

its just like in basketball. you will pay big bucks for somebody 7'2" even if they cant toss a rock into a lake.

cant blame colbert for trying to keep up with this market bubble. it is the new tv deal and salary cap increasing 6-8 mil every year which has changed the landscape of how business is done.

fiscally responsible teams are almost automatically priced out of any quality free agent aquisitions.

coachspeak33
02-29-2008, 12:36 PM
did you read this article?

im not gonna hit the panic button or call for colberts head just yet. he has no control over the market increasing exponentally for a player of starks size (it doesnt matter if he has lead feet or flat out sucks).

its just like in basketball. you will pay big bucks for somebody 7'2" even if they cant toss a rock into a lake.

cant blame colbert for trying to keep up with this market bubble. it is the new tv deal and salary cap increasing 6-8 mil every year which has changed the landscape of how business is done.

fiscally responsible teams are almost automatically priced out of any quality free agent aquisitions.

Oh I am well aware of what he is attempting to do NOW....I am just looking at what Colbert has done to get us ahead of the curve

....For my money though, Colbert has been a day late and a dollar short far too much recently....his recent drafts have approached mediocre, his FA signings the last three offseasons have been debacles, I firmly believe that Tomlin benched Starks last spring largely due to the fact that they knew his days in BnG were numbered, that responsibility falls on Colberts shoulders IMO as Tomlin probably had very little say in that particular personnel matter, he resigned inconsistent players while letting tradable assets walk for nothing

Simply put, this whole 'whoa is us' attitude is a complete cop-out and it has occured annually under Colberts watch

I dont even mind it when it comes from the fans....but when the FO panders to that mentality :banging:......Colbert "the pied piper" just playing his typical tune

coachspeak33
02-29-2008, 12:40 PM
[QUOTE=.Colbert "the pied piper" just playing his typical tune[/QUOTE]

Gimme a H!!!!!!!!

you sheep

Gimme a T!!!!!!!!!

out there

Gimme a G!!!!!!!!

know who

Whats it spell????

you are

SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wink02:

dunkuntou
02-29-2008, 12:42 PM
You need to lay off of Colbert...Willie Colon wasn't that bad last year and will be much more succesful on the inside.

I would rather him make these types of moves than sign a guy like Langston Walker for the contract that he got

coachspeak33
02-29-2008, 12:50 PM
You need to lay off of Colbert...Willie Colon wasn't that bad last year and will be much more succesful on the inside.

I would rather him make these types of moves than sign a guy like Langston Walker for the contract that he got

I partly agree with you

willie's performance last season far exceeded that of colberts over the last 3 offseasons

DACEB
02-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Wow, not that I do'nt totally disagree with you, but who pissed in your coffee today?

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Watch out....THE SKY IS FALLING....STARKS GOT THE TRANSITION TAG!!!!

Rhee Rhee
02-29-2008, 04:31 PM
i'd love to get a 2nd round pick for washington (sorry nate, but you're still "potential")

potential? yeah right...