PDA

View Full Version : Shane Olivea

aclark99
02-28-2008, 04:33 PM
The Chargers released Shane Olivea today. A former Buckeye that has started since coming to the NFL as a 7th Round draft pick in 04. He is 26 years old and has a lot of upside. What do people think f this guy coming to the Burgh? I think he got injured last year (back).

83-Steelers-43
02-28-2008, 04:43 PM
This is why Scott Brown wrote the article he did in the Tribunue-Review this morning.

Edman
02-28-2008, 07:21 PM
The Steelers will not go after him. Look at him? Yeah. Sign him? No.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
02-28-2008, 07:57 PM
Well he can't be a worse tacle than Colon...

FSUBoo
02-28-2008, 08:02 PM
I think given a change of scenery that he will be a good tackle again. I think it would be smart to give him a chance, not a huge contract, but a short tender and see how he plays.

Davison_K
02-28-2008, 09:51 PM
I am all for giving him a chance. Anyone is better than Colon.

Steel Pit
02-28-2008, 11:26 PM
I am all for giving him a chance. Anyone is better than Colon.

How about giving Colon a chance before you discard him? Olivea has been given 3 times the opportunity that Colon has been given and what did Olivea make of it? Apparently NOTHING because the Chargers no longer have any interest in him.

Why is it that some Steelers fans believe that so many other teams are downright ignorant when it comes to assessing the talent of their own players. No one knows Olivea better than the Chargers and they've decided to sit him curbside for pickup by a sanitation crew. Let's take their word for it, the guy is garbage.

tony hipchest
02-28-2008, 11:28 PM
not only is he a 7th round pick but he was allowed to start as a rookie??????????

wow. steeler players simply arent granted that luxory. its not the "steeler way". i'd like to se if some of our 3rd-7th round linemen could develop into something other than wasted picks. its hard for our back ups to catch playing time with pro bowlers such as faneca and hartings in front of them. unfortunately for any player drafted by the steelers, they are granted no learning curve by the fans.

and just ask max starks (sb starter and champion) if anybody is better than colon.

the grass is always greener.

Galax Steeler
02-29-2008, 03:30 AM
I would also say give colon another chance and work with him a little bit never know.

Elvis
02-29-2008, 05:06 AM
If the Steelers keep Starks or draft an OT in the 1st round this year, I think that the Steelers will move Colon to LOG to take the place of Faneca. I think that Colon is not atheletic enough to keep him outside. Sounds to me like the Steelers arent gonna be able to keep Starks unless he accepts a undersized contract elsewhere and then they can match it. Just sounds like to me the way the NFL is now days that they just wasted their time putting this tender on him because if he doesnt sign a smaller type contract with someone that they can match, the contract will be taken out of his reach and torn up. Just doesnt seem very fair to me for Max.
:coffee:

mastermind1967
02-29-2008, 08:44 AM
I have to agree with "Steel Pit", sitting and watching is one thing, but game experience is another. I expect some of our draft picks to develop into better players through game experience. Players that contribute right off the bench are not in abundance.

rbryan
02-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Olivea is going to get big money thrown at him by someone. The reason he's not in SD anymore is because they couldn't afford him at what he wanted either. So you can forget about picking him up at a good number.

I'd say theres about a 75% chance Starks won't be here either, someone will throw more cash at him than he's worth. It's not a waste of anything to put the tender on him, if you didn't, another team could make him a reasonable offer and we would have no option to match it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Yeah, if they do a deal with Starks, it gives you Smith, Starks, Colon and Essex at tackle. Better to draft one of the big tackle prospects and then move Colon inside to the guard position where he is better suited.

I'm a little crazy with this, but what about looking at Mike Flynn at Center for 2 seasons and targeting a center in next years draft like Alex Mack from Cal.?

19ward86
02-29-2008, 09:34 AM
I say forget it, i think we are doing the right thing how we are doing right now, if that makes sense. Ive heard remarks about none of our picks from the 3rd-7th round dont turn out but look at the players now, keisel-starter, william gay-playing time, willie parker-starter(even though he wasnt drafted), ivan "ike" taylor-starter, we have plenty of players that we get out of the DRAFT and i like it that way. there are about 2-3 winning franchises or at least known for winning long term in the NFL and that is like the steelers and the broncos, 2 teams that build through the draft even though the broncs are now turning to the FA market. I say lets draft an OL or DL in the draft for 1-2mil and develop instead of spending 5-7 mil in the FA market.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
02-29-2008, 02:47 PM
I say forget it, i think we are doing the right thing how we are doing right now, if that makes sense. Ive heard remarks about none of our picks from the 3rd-7th round dont turn out but look at the players now, keisel-starter, william gay-playing time, willie parker-starter(even though he wasnt drafted), ivan "ike" taylor-starter, we have plenty of players that we get out of the DRAFT and i like it that way. there are about 2-3 winning franchises or at least known for winning long term in the NFL and that is like the steelers and the broncos, 2 teams that build through the draft even though the broncs are now turning to the FA market. I say lets draft an OL or DL in the draft for 1-2mil and develop instead of spending 5-7 mil in the FA market.

I agree with you. At this point if were spending money on a FA then it is going to be IMO Gage or possibly Bryant Johnson.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
02-29-2008, 08:01 PM
I agree with you. At this point if were spending money on a FA then it is going to be IMO Gage or possibly Bryant Johnson.

Well forget about Gage. Titans locked him up with a four year deal.