PDA

View Full Version : Official Free-Agency-Day Movement Thread (Non-Steelers)

Crushzilla
02-29-2008, 12:09 AM
The first deal appears to be in order. No way official, yet, but as good as done, it seems.

Not a free agency signing, but significant nonetheless.

I found this link on PFT.

Jets dealing Vilma to Saints for conditional pick
BY TOM ROCK

tom.rock@newsday.com

11:36 PM EST, February 28, 2008

A deal sending Jets linebacker Jonathan Vilma to the Saints will be completed and announced as early as this morning, according to NFL sources. The teams reached a tentative agreement Thursday night, with the Jets getting a conditional draft pick, probably in 2009, based on Vilma's performance.

In his first two years as a Jet, Vilma seemed destined for stardom. He was NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2004 and a Pro Bowl alternate in 2005. But in 2006, when Eric Mangini became coach and installed a 3-4 scheme, .Vilma's production dropped.

He played seven games in 2007 before a knee injury sidelined him. Vilma had surgery to remove bone fragments from his knee in November. While he was sidelined, rookie David Harris emerged as a standout, and despite starting only seven games, he led the team in tackles.

Though he never publicly said so, Vilma clearly was unhappy and ill-fitted in the 3-4. He was given permission by the Jets to seek a trade this offseason. After going to the combine in Indianapolis last weekend, he met with Saints officials this week and underwent a physical with the Lions on Wednesday. He recently wrote on his blog that he can jog but is several weeks away from running at full speed.

The trade won't be the Jets' only move in the near future. With the trading period and free agency opening at midnight Friday, the Jets are expected to be among the league's busiest teams. Thursday night they were deep in talks with the Panthers about defensive lineman Kris Jenkins. That deal reportedly was "very close" and could wind up involving compensation the Jets get from the Saints in the Vilma swap.

Jenkins is a 6-4, 335-pound, three-time Pro Bowler who is more familiar with the 4-3 but probably would fit nicely as an anchor in the 3-4. The Jets have talked to teams about trading tackle Dewayne Robertson, who was handcuffed by the 3-4. They are very interested in Steelers guard Alan Faneca and Patriots cornerback Asante Samuel, who are unrestricted free agents.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets0229,0,3033444,print.story

Big move for Saints, who could surely use the defense. Looks like the Saints are going to be making a big splash today, with the potential courting of both Samuel and Faneca, two of the most sought after players in this (IMO) WEAK FA class.

Let the games begin!

Crushzilla
02-29-2008, 12:20 AM
Two Offensive Linemen just flew off the shelf

Smiley agrees to five-year deal with Dolphins
The free-agent signing period has barely started and the 49ers have already lost a player.

Guard Justin Smiley has agreed to terms with the Dolphins on a five-year, $25 million contract than includes a $9 million signing bonus, he said. He is scheduled to fly to Miami early Friday morning to sign the contract and make it official.

"I'm very excited about the opportunity," Smiley said on the phone just moments ago. "Miami called as soon as they were able to call me and told me they'd like to have me down there. They called me right after it (free agency) started. They offered me that (contract). I feel very blessed. It feels good to have security. I want to go down there and give them every penny's worth and play hard for them."

Smiley said he is slated to play right guard for the Dolphins. Smiley resides in Ellabel, Ga., and attended Alabama.

"To me, it seems like a good fit, me being from the South," Smiley said. "There are a lot of other factors you have to weigh when you're considering a situation like this. I talked to them just a little while ago, and this is flattering that they came after me like this."

Smiley was a second-round pick of the 49ers in 2004. He and the 49ers were far apart in contract talks, dating back the past two seasons. He said he has not yet spoken to the 49ers.

"It's a bummer because those guys mean a lot to me," Smiley said. "Being around those other offensive linemen and the organization, it made a positive impact in my life. The fans of San Francisco, they're faithful. I always hoped I could be a 49er, but it didn't work out."

Smiley started all 32 games in 2005 and '06. He played most of the '06 season with a torn left labrum. He sustained a dislocated right shoulder in the eighth game last season and had season-ending surgery Nov. 13. He probably will not take part in any contact until training camp, as a precaution.

Smiley will undoubtedly have to pass a physical with the Dolphins. He said that should be no problem, as his rehabilitation is ahead of schedue.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=1036034&mode

The Tuna has been heard!

Crushzilla
02-29-2008, 12:22 AM
This one I am bummed about. No way did I expect the Steelers to go after him, but now its REALLY not gonna happen.

Jeff Faine bound for Tampa
The Bucs have wasted no time in addressing one of their biggest needs at the outset of the free-agent signing period.

The Times has learned New Orleans free agent center Jeff Faine has agreed to a multi-year contract that will make him the league's highest-paid player at the position, providing the Bucs with a long-term solution at a position they had targeted for a much-needed upgrade.

Faine was expected to be one of the most intriguing offensive linemen on the market, which would explain why the Bucs are willing to open the coffers to sign him. His deal will surpass those of Cleveland's LeCharles Bentley and Chicago's Olin Kruetz, currently the league's highest-paid centers.

The Bucs opted not to offer free agent and former starter John Wade a contract and seemed determined to address the position through free agency. Still, there were few indications before now that they had any intention of pursuing Faine with any zeal. But with $44-million in salary-cap space available, the Bucs had the luxury of signing a high-priced player like Faine while still leaving room to negotiate with many other free agents.

The Bucs are also believed to be considering a handful of receivers, Seattle's D.J. Hackett among them.

-- STEPHEN F. HOLDER

http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/

Apparently the deal is huge, as well. Considering the Bucs had 44 million in cap space, I'm no suprised. Thanks for continuing to inflate the market, Tampa!

Rhee Rhee
02-29-2008, 02:38 AM
Kris Jenkins to the Jets for a 3rd and 5th
Deshaun Foster to the 49ers cheap 1.8 for 2 yrs
49ers,Jets and Rams all want to talk to Feneca for close to 8mil a year
Brushci signed a multiyear deal with the Pats, how long do they think he can play?
Packers trade Corey Williams to Browns for a 2nd rnd pick

grr... beat me to every single one... :sofunny:

TackleMeBen
02-29-2008, 09:13 AM
The Philadelphia Eagles have announced that cornerback Asante Samuel will visit the team on Friday. He will be made available to the media at 4:30 p.m. EST.

Meanwhile, there are rumors that Samuel's deal is done, and that he'll sign it after he passes a physical.

lilyoder6
02-29-2008, 09:26 AM
damn the brownies are actually making them moves that could make them a competing team this next yr to actually go to the playoffs..

TackleMeBen
02-29-2008, 09:27 AM
damn the brownies are actually making them moves that could make them a competing team this next yr to actually go to the playoffs..

they had the offense. now if they get the defensive side of the ball working well. they will be a very dangerous team that we shouldnt over look. i mean look how close it came to them beating us at home last year.

Edman
02-29-2008, 10:25 AM
they had the offense. now if they get the defensive side of the ball working well. they will be a very dangerous team that we shouldnt over look. i mean look how close it came to them beating us at home last year.

163 total yards of Offense and the opponents' Special Teams sucking will get you some close calls.

Cleveland will be better and more formidable next year, no doubt.

Dino 6 Rings
02-29-2008, 10:27 AM
163 total yards of Offense and the opponents' Special Teams sucking will get you some close calls.

Cleveland will be better and more formidable next year, no doubt.

Yawn...its the browns, they will lose 2 to us, split with the Birds and Bungals and then win some games at home and lose on the road.

I fear not the Browns.

lilyoder6
02-29-2008, 11:06 AM
looks like the browns got derek anderson for another 3 yrs

Anderson to sign multiyear deal with Browns
Associated Press

Cleveland Browns quarterback Derek Anderson wasn't a free agent for long.

Chris Trotman / Getty Images
Derek Anderson recorded 3,787 yards, 29 touchdowns and 19 interceptions in his first season as Cleveland's starting QB.

Anderson has agreed to a multiyear contract to stay with the Browns, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the contract had not been completed.

General manager Phil Savage believed if Anderson had gotten an offer from another team, the Browns probably wouldn't have been able to keep him.

The team had been negotiating a three-year, $20 million deal for Anderson.

The 24-year-old signed with Cleveland just hours after he became a restricted free agent.

Anderson threw 29 touchdown passes and 19 interceptions last season and went 10-5 after taking over as the starter in Week 2. He made the Pro Bowl as an alternate.

Brady Quinn, from Notre Dame, was limited to just eight passes as a rookie after the Browns traded their first-round draft pick in 2008 to take him with the No. 22 pick last April. He would remain the backup.

lilyoder6
02-29-2008, 11:34 AM
supposingly the vikings reached a 6 yr deal with medeua williams.. and that the bills and lb kuika mitchell reached a multi yr deal

polamalu82
02-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Jerry Porter to Jacksonville -- 6 years, $30M ($10M guaranteed)

polamalu82
02-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Alan Faneca isn't making any free agent visits until he's ready to sign a contract. The Jets have offered four years for $32 million with about $20 in guarantees.
The Rams and 49ers are also reportedly making offers. Faneca's agent will present the deals to his client Saturday, and a decision will come by Sunday at the latest.

polamalu82
02-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Free agent Asante Samuel's contract with the Eagles will reportedly be for five years and $47.2 million.
The official announcement is expected to come later this afternoon. On only a five-year pact, Samuel will be able to re-enter the market at age 32.

Dino 6 Rings
02-29-2008, 02:04 PM

ha ha, more proof that Matt Jones will be available on the cheap!

kmsteelerwr15
02-29-2008, 02:40 PM

a little over paid IMO

polamalu82
02-29-2008, 02:56 PM
a little over paid IMO

I guess we'll find out.

polamalu82
02-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Reportedly the Bungals acquired Shaun Rogers from the Lions in exchange for a third- or fourth-round pick.

TackleMeBen
02-29-2008, 03:16 PM
Reportedly the Bungals acquired Shaun Rogers from the Lions in exchange for a third- or fourth-round pick.

how stupid is matt millen???? :bouncy:

polamalu82
02-29-2008, 03:19 PM
how stupid is matt millen???? :bouncy:

Maybe he'll be looking to sign another WR in the draft too.:flap:

TackleMeBen
02-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Maybe he'll be looking to sign another WR in the draft too.:flap:

he could at least traded him and a few others for ocho cinco or t.j. :wink02:

CantStop85
02-29-2008, 03:26 PM

It was a 3rd and 5th round pick...

I'm still speechless...who kidnapped Mike Brown and actually made a good personnel move?

TackleMeBen
02-29-2008, 03:33 PM
you know it sucks to be a lions fan when the bengals are making better moves than you..lol

polamalu82
02-29-2008, 03:41 PM
you know it sucks to be a lions fan when the bengals are making better moves than you..lol

Yeah they kinda came from left field with that one. I heard the Broncos were interested. Guess that don't matter anymore.

HometownGal
02-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Brushci signed a multiyear deal with the Pats, how long do they think he can play?

For however long he keeps juicing himself up.

Miami also signed former Jacksonville free-agent wide receiver Ernest Wilford to a four-year, $13 million contract that included a $6 million signing bonus and another $1 million escalator.

Damn - I was hoping the Steelers would take a look at Wilford. :dang::dang:

lilyoder6
02-29-2008, 04:03 PM
wow.. the bengals got a very good dt in rogers.. i hope pitt makes some moves here soon

polamalu82
02-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Eagles signed Asante Samuel to a six-year contract. ESPN's John Clayton says it's for $57 million, with $6 million in incentives.

polamalu82
02-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Bills released DT Larry Tripplett.

Broncos released LB Ian Gold.

Dolphins signed QB Josh McCown to a two-year, $6.25 million contract.

FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer reports free agent S Gibril Wilson's deal with the Raiders will be for six years and $39 million.
It'll include a whopping $16 million signing bonus

ESPN's John Clayton reports the Patriots are not close to a deal with free agent Randy Moss.

NJarhead
02-29-2008, 05:54 PM

FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer reports free agent S Gibril Wilson's deal with the Raiders will be for six years and $39 million.

ESPN's John Clayton reports the Patriots are not close to a deal with free agent Randy Moss.

I thought Larry Tripplett was a ref??? :wink02:

Kidding aside, wasn't Tripplett the Thanksgiving Day coin toss baffoon?

silver & black
02-29-2008, 06:19 PM
a little over paid IMO

Definitely over paid.Porter is a #2 WR at best.

silver & black
02-29-2008, 06:21 PM
The Raiders signed Gibril Wilson.

polamalu82
02-29-2008, 06:28 PM

Sorry beat ya too it.:thumbsup:

NJarhead
02-29-2008, 06:31 PM

He's an idiot. I've said it before.., as much as I hate the Patriots, at least most of their players choose winning over the big pay day. And you know what? Having won 3 SB's the money will always be there in salary, bonuses for getting to the big show, endorsements now and after retirement.

Gibril, if money is what it takes to make you happy then I guess you're all set.....for now.

silver & black
02-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Sorry beat ya too it.:thumbsup:

Sorry about that, I missed it.

silver & black
02-29-2008, 06:46 PM
He's an idiot. I've said it before.., as much as I hate the Patriots, at least most of their players choose winning over the big pay day. And you know what? Having won 3 SB's the money will always be there in salary, bonuses for getting to the big show, endorsements now and after retirement.

Gibril, if money is what it takes to make you happy then I guess you're all set.....for now.

LOL... I don't care if he is an idiot... he's the Raiders' idiot now! :thumbsup:

All I ever hear is: what FA will want to come to the Raiders as sorry as they are? The ones that get paid... its a business, they play where they get paid the most. :wink02:

polamalu82
02-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Patriots released TE Kyle Brady

49ers agreed to terms with WR Isaac Bruce on a two-year contract, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter

CantStop85
02-29-2008, 07:02 PM
Seems like a fast free agency this year...I guess it's because of the slim pickin's.

NJarhead
02-29-2008, 07:05 PM
LOL... I don't care if he is an idiot... he's the Raiders' idiot now! :thumbsup:

All I ever hear is: what FA will want to come to the Raiders as sorry as they are? The ones that get paid... its a business, they play where they get paid the most. :wink02:

And I would have no problem with it if they were there to rebuild or make something out of the Raiders, but the fact is that hasn't happened since Gruden. Like you said, it's all about the duckies. I just would have liked to see "Gerbal" stay in New York.

silver & black
02-29-2008, 07:13 PM
And I would have no problem with it if they were there to rebuild or make something out of the Raiders, but the fact is that hasn't happened since Gruden. Like you said, it's all about the duckies. I just would have liked to see "Gerbal" stay in New York.

Well, I can't share your sentiment about him staying in NY, since we got him, and we needed saftey help badly. I would share your outlook if he would have gone somewhere else. :wink02:

The truth is... its about the "duckies" 99% of the time. This is their job... they want to make as money as they can... just like you and me.

lilyoder6
02-29-2008, 07:19 PM
there is rumor that the cowboys are tring to sign randy moss...

NJarhead
02-29-2008, 07:21 PM
Well, I can't share your sentiment about him staying in NY, since we got him, and we needed saftey help badly. I would share your outlook if he would have gone somewhere else. :wink02:

The truth is... its about the "duckies" 99% of the time. This is their job... they want to make as money as they can... just like you and me.

Not all of them. And even the ones that do, do what they can in the way of restructuring their contracts to stay in one city. Like I said, look at the Patriots, Jerome Bettis and countless others. I understand the business part. Ex.., We had to let Faneca go. He deserved more $$ than we could pay.
Gibril told the Giants he wanted to "test the FA Market" when they went to talk to him before FA started. I dunno, maybe he never liked it there. Doesn't matter now.

I'm sure the Giants are saying "Asta La buh bye!" :wave:

NJarhead
02-29-2008, 07:22 PM

*sigh* Jerry effin Jones. Well, at least it's a team I hate...again.

polamalu82
02-29-2008, 07:33 PM

I can't figure out why the Patriots* are getting rid of all their players. It's like a full reboot.
Here's the list of Free Agent pats.today off the top of my head.

kyle brady, asante samuel, randy moss, donte stallworth, randall gay, jabar gaffney

And now moss might end up in Dallas...This is weird.

polamalu82
02-29-2008, 07:36 PM
The Lions' trade of DT Shaun Rogers to the Bengals has been called off.
Source: Detroit News http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080229/SPORTS0101/802290460/1126

The Bengals' official Web site posted details of the trade under the headline "Big Deal for Big Man," calling it "one of their biggest deals in history. The Bungal's Fu@ked that one up. lol

NJarhead
02-29-2008, 07:40 PM
The Lions' trade of DT Shaun Rogers to the Bengals has been called off.
Source: Detroit News http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080229/SPORTS0101/802290460/1126

What the hell. This was reported all day. I guess Millen must've seen all the post about how stupid of a move this was going to be.

Called off? That's wierd too.

NJarhead
02-29-2008, 07:54 PM
How come no body is talking about Clark Haggans???

He's still young and in great shape. Never an injury concern, productive....He's going to be a steal for somebody.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
02-29-2008, 07:57 PM
I can't figure out why the Patriots* are getting rid of all their players. It's like a full reboot.
Here's the list of Free Agent pats.today off the top of my head.

kyle brady, asante samuel, randy moss, donte stallworth, randall gay, jabar gaffney

And now moss might end up in Dallas...This is weird.

They know that they can't afford all of these big names. Last season was their window of oppertunity to win it all and they blew it.

silver & black
02-29-2008, 07:59 PM

That would be quite a show if it were to happen. I don't see "those two" co-existing on the same team, but you never know.

polamalu82
02-29-2008, 08:02 PM
How come no body is talking about Clark Haggans???

He's still young and in great shape. Never an injury concern, productive....He's going to be a steal for somebody.

Free agent LB Clark Haggans is considered a possibility for the Giants at weak-side linebacker, according to the Newark Star-Ledger.
Haggans has been a right outside linebacker in Pittsburgh's 3-4 since 2000. He's a pressure player, so DC Steve Spagnuolo could probably make him work. The Patriots and Browns are also believed to be pursuing Haggans.
Source: http://blog.nj.com/ledgergiants/2008/02/reports_wilson_almost_gone.html

I hope he goes to the Giants. I would hate to see Clark in a Browns uniform or a Patriots* uniform.

NJarhead
02-29-2008, 08:06 PM
Free agent LB Clark Haggans is considered a possibility for the Giants at weak-side linebacker, according to the Newark Star-Ledger.
Haggans has been a right outside linebacker in Pittsburgh's 3-4 since 2000. He's a pressure player, so DC Steve Spagnuolo could probably make him work. The Patriots and Browns are also believed to be pursuing Haggans.
Source: http://blog.nj.com/ledgergiants/2008/02/reports_wilson_almost_gone.html

I hope he goes to the Giants. I would hate to see Clark in a Browns uniform or a Patriots* uniform.

Thanks & me too.

polamalu82
02-29-2008, 08:07 PM
That would be quite a show if it were to happen. I don't see "those two" co-existing on the same team, but you never know.

I just found this:

People within the Cowboys' organization have characterized a run at Randy Moss as unlikely, according to the Dallas Morning News.
The DMN believes Dallas is more likely to pursue free agent Javon Walker. We're speculating, but the Jets could make a push for Moss this weekend.

Source:http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/02/keeping-tabs-on-the-market.html

You never know though. They could be using this as a smoke screen. We'll have to see.

revefsreleets
02-29-2008, 08:13 PM
I LOVE the free agency season. And it's the time of year when I'm most glad I'm a Steelers fan. We so seldom throw good money after bad, and it looks like we will be very wise again this year. Wilford was the only guy I thought we'd consider.

polamalu82
02-29-2008, 09:04 PM
A league source tells Booth Newspapers that the Browns will acquire DT Shaun Rogers from the Lions in exchange for CB Leigh Bodden and a 2008 third-round pick.
Beat writer Tom Kowalski notes that "details are still shaky," but we've confirmed that despite past deals, the Browns do still have their 2008 third-rounder and can trade it. Bodden would be a huge score for Detroit, which is desperate at cornerback. If this deal goes through, they'll be desperate at nose tackle. Also, Bodden will almost certainly want a new contract.
Source:http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/02/lions_get_bodden_and_thirdroun.html

According to my calculations, that mean the browns will have no first day draft picks. Their 1st pick is in Dallas, the got Corey Williams for a second-rounder, and now this for their 3rd. Why even have a scouting director?:sofunny:

RoethlisBURGHer
02-29-2008, 10:04 PM
So it looks like there is no reason for the Browns to have anyone working on the first day of the draft.

They have to have a deal to trade Anderson to someone for a first rounder.

However, they have traded off draft picks for things that were needs they would have drafted for this year anyhow.

First rounder to Cowboys to draft Brady Quinn. Quarterback was a need, and it was expected that if they didn't trade back into the first round of the 2007 NFL Draft to get Quinn, their 2008 first rounder would be used on a quarterback.

Second rounder to Packers for Corey Wilson. Defensive line is a need position, and he can fill the spots of DT and DE in a 3-4.

Third rounder (and Leigh Bodden) to Lions for Shaun Rodgers. He would fill the DT position for the Browns, allowing Williams to slide over to DE nearly permanently. Once again, defensive line was a need position and the Browns could have used this pick on a d-lineman.

However, it creates a huge hole at cornerback with probally their best corner going to Detroit. So either they have a deal in place to trade Anderson somewhere for a first rounder they would use on a cornerback (Mike Jenkins, Aqib Talib, Leodis McKelvin, Terrell Thomas, and Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie). Otherwise their starting cornerbacks would be Eric Wright (2nd rounder in 2007) and either Daven Holly (7th rounder in 2007 by 49ers), Brandon McDonald (5th rounder in 2007), or Gary Baxter is completley recovered from his surgeries and is capable of being the corner hew as before he got hurt.

Borski
02-29-2008, 11:24 PM

I don't see it working for long, if at all...but if it does work out they will easily be the best high powered O in the league.

jjpro11
03-01-2008, 12:15 AM
So it looks like there is no reason for the Browns to have anyone working on the first day of the draft.

They have to have a deal to trade Anderson to someone for a first rounder.

However, they have traded off draft picks for things that were needs they would have drafted for this year anyhow.

First rounder to Cowboys to draft Brady Quinn. Quarterback was a need, and it was expected that if they didn't trade back into the first round of the 2007 NFL Draft to get Quinn, their 2008 first rounder would be used on a quarterback.

Second rounder to Packers for Corey Wilson. Defensive line is a need position, and he can fill the spots of DT and DE in a 3-4.

Third rounder (and Leigh Bodden) to Lions for Shaun Rodgers. He would fill the DT position for the Browns, allowing Williams to slide over to DE nearly permanently. Once again, defensive line was a need position and the Browns could have used this pick on a d-lineman.

However, it creates a huge hole at cornerback with probally their best corner going to Detroit. So either they have a deal in place to trade Anderson somewhere for a first rounder they would use on a cornerback (Mike Jenkins, Aqib Talib, Leodis McKelvin, Terrell Thomas, and Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie). Otherwise their starting cornerbacks would be Eric Wright (2nd rounder in 2007) and either Daven Holly (7th rounder in 2007 by 49ers), Brandon McDonald (5th rounder in 2007), or Gary Baxter is completley recovered from his surgeries and is capable of being the corner hew as before he got hurt.

i wouldnt rule out them bringing in ty law.

Crushzilla
03-01-2008, 01:17 AM
I don't see it working for long, if at all...but if it does work out they will easily be the best high powered O in the league.

I agree.

They would be able to handle it for one year, though.

Without a doubt they would have to be favorites to win the Super Bowl.

Basically, a team like that would be a shoe-in for the NFL Championship game, at least.

It all depends if Romo can figure out how to not be a choke artist in the playoffs.

I still can't see Moss going to Dallas, though.

Rhee Rhee
03-01-2008, 01:47 AM
im surprised denver is getting any action lately... i definitely see them signing boss bailey OR lance briggs...

Rhee Rhee
03-01-2008, 01:57 AM

he's 31 soon to be 32 so i wouldn't call him a spring chicken...

productive yes and no injuries as of late so that's a plus....

i could see him playing in a 49ers jersey

polamalu82
03-01-2008, 10:20 AM
49ers signed DE Justin Smith to a six-year, $45 million contract. The deal includes $20 million in guarantees.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Bryant Johnson is visiting with the Bears...DJ Hackett is visiting with the Bucs.

The Duke
03-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Panthers signed CB Ricardo Colclough to a two-year, $4 million deal. :sofunny:

beware NFL, Colclough is coming to get ya!

polamalu82
03-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Panthers signed CB Ricardo Colclough to a two-year, $4 million deal. :sofunny:

beware NFL, Colclough is coming to get ya!

:sofunny: I just saw that too. I was just getting ready to post it. I wasn't even aware he was still in the league. Here's what I read:

It's amazing a failed corner like Colclough, who washed out in Pittsburgh and Cleveland, can still get a decent deal this early in free agency. He is most likely to play on special teams.:sofunny:

The Duke
03-01-2008, 02:14 PM
:sofunny: I just saw that too. I was just getting ready to post it. I wasn't even aware he was still in the league. Here's what I read:

It's amazing a failed corner like Colclough, who washed out in Pittsburgh and Cleveland, can still get a decent deal this early in free agency. He is most likely to play on special teams.:sofunny:

with that description I wonder why the panthers got him

he'll most likely end up cut anyway

polamalu82
03-01-2008, 02:22 PM
While Brady Quinn says he's ready for a competition, GM Phil Savage says it's not going to happen.
Derek Anderson is going to have lose the job, and it won't happen in practice. "I don?t think there?s going to be an open competition," Browns GM Phil Savage said. "We go in with Derek as the lead horse. You don?t sign a contract like that and say, ?hey, it?s an open competition.'"
Source: http://blog.dispatch.com/jwalker_browns/

All I have to say is .....:toofunny::toofunny:

polamalu82
03-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Yahoo! Sports reports that Jason Taylor and the Dolphins have "decided to part ways" this offseason.
Taylor has left the Miami area to prepare for Dancing with the Stars, and both sides have agreed to a trade is for the best. There were rumors about Green Bay's interest Saturday, although that has proven premature. Miami can probably pick up a couple of solid draft picks for Taylor, 33.

I guess Bill isn't a fan of dancing.lol

silver & black
03-01-2008, 07:51 PM
While Brady Quinn says he's ready for a competition, GM Phil Savage says it's not going to happen.
Derek Anderson is going to have lose the job, and it won't happen in practice. "I don?t think there?s going to be an open competition," Browns GM Phil Savage said. "We go in with Derek as the lead horse. You don?t sign a contract like that and say, ?hey, it?s an open competition.'"
Source: http://blog.dispatch.com/jwalker_browns/

All I have to say is .....:toofunny::toofunny:

I really don't know what to make of that situation. I thought the Browns would trade Anderson for picks, and Quinn would be the future. Shows what I know...lol.

If the Browns didn't have the OL that they do, Anderson would flat out suck... thats just my opinion, for what its worth. I would have gone with Quinn. Whats the point of trading your #1 pick for a QB that is possibly going to ride the pine for 3 more years?

ShutDown24
03-01-2008, 08:01 PM
I really don't know what to make of that situation. I thought the Browns would trade Anderson for picks, and Quinn would be the future. Shows what I know...lol.

If the Browns didn't have the OL that they do, Anderson would flat out suck... thats just my opinion, for what its worth. I would have gone with Quinn. Whats the point of trading your #1 pick for a QB that is possibly going to ride the pine for 3 more years?

No offense, but I would rather be in the Browns shoes with Anderson & Quinn than the Raiders with Russell lol. Don't get me wrong, I think JaMarcus has a lot of potential, but I just don't see him being an amazing QB. I want him to succeed, don't get me wrong - I would love to see such a beast with a strong arm be awesome at QB, I just don't think he's going to be all that great of a player... Sorry lol.

This may be a little bit of old news, but I haven't been on top of things around the league as much as I normally am lately, anyone know if the Jets retained Pennington?

polamalu82
03-01-2008, 08:02 PM

I have no idea. Could you imagine what was going through Quinn's head with all this. I guess Quinn will have to keep doing his Muti-plex and eating subs with Jarred.

ShutDown24
03-01-2008, 08:04 PM
I have no idea. Could you imagine what was going through Quinn's head with all this. I guess Quinn will have to keep doing his Muti-plex and eating subs with Jarred.

LOL - Doesn't sound like a half bad life to me :flap:

polamalu82
03-01-2008, 08:15 PM
No offense, but I would rather be in the Browns shoes with Anderson & Quinn than the Raiders with Russell lol. Don't get me wrong, I think JaMarcus has a lot of potential, but I just don't see him being an amazing QB. I want him to succeed, don't get me wrong - I would love to see such a beast with a strong arm be awesome at QB, I just don't think he's going to be all that great of a player... Sorry lol.

This may be a little bit of old news, but I haven't been on top of things around the league as much as I normally am lately, anyone know if the Jets retained Pennington?

Last I heard they took care of that. I guess him and Clemens will compete in training camp.

polamalu82
03-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Bears re-signed Lance Briggs to a six-year, $36 million contract.

Looks like Briggs got "cold toes" testing the waters in the free-agent pool.

silver & black
03-01-2008, 08:57 PM

Trust me... there are quite a few Raider fans that aren't sold on JR... me being amoung them. I would have rather taken Quinn. I have no choice but to support JR since he is a Raider, and hope he is what Al thinks he is. He definately has the talent and the tools... weather or not he has what it takes to play in the NFL is still to be seen. Time will tell.

silver & black
03-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Last I heard they took care of that. I guess him and Clemens will compete in training camp.

Huh?

MasterOfPuppets
03-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Trust me... there are quite a few Raider fans that aren't sold on JR... me being amoung them. I would have rather taken Quinn. I have no choice but to support JR since he is a Raider, and hope he is what Al thinks he is. He definately has the talent and the tools... weather or not he has what it takes to play in the NFL is still to be seen. Time will tell.this is going in your "permant" file......:chuckle:

silver & black
03-01-2008, 09:32 PM
this is going in your "permant" file......:chuckle:

LOL... ok.

ShutDown24
03-01-2008, 11:17 PM
These may have been postend already, if so sorry - I didn't see them but...

Jags deal DT Stroud to Buffalo

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d806f9c70&template=with-video&confirm=true

Vikings agree to terms with WR Bernard Berrian

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/story?id=09000d5d806f9d76&template=with-video&confirm=true

Rhee Rhee
03-02-2008, 01:35 AM
the NFL in this day and age is getting stupid... the fact we have such a high cap and the fact unproven players are getting so much money guaranteed is astounding...

The Duke
03-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Saints agreed to terms with CB Randall Gay on a four-year, $17.6 million contract. The deal is worth $6.7 million in the first two years.

so hobbs is officially the pats #1 CB :sofunny:

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Saints agreed to terms with CB Randall Gay on a four-year, $17.6 million contract. The deal is worth $6.7 million in the first two years.

...and the Pats have officially lost both starting CB's.

...beautiful.

BlastFurnace
03-02-2008, 02:01 PM

I saw that on rotoworld.com that the Saints signed Gay Cornerback. He's decent, but so many of the New England FA's leave there and never do anything in another system.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
03-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Lance Briggs is going to resign with the Bears after saying last season would be his last with Chicago. I guess money talks. 36 mil for 6 years.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/03/01/bears.briggs.ap/index.html?eref=T1

Rhee Rhee
03-03-2008, 03:27 AM
Lance Briggs is going to resign with the Bears after saying last season would be his last with Chicago. I guess money talks. 36 mil for 6 years.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/03/01/bears.briggs.ap/index.html?eref=T1

thats cheap compared to wat i thought he could've gotten...

The Duke
03-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Cardinals signed TE Jerame Tuman, formerly of the Steelers, to a two-year contract.

more Steelers to the cards.......

lilyoder6
03-06-2008, 09:02 PM
oh my some news 2day.. and too lazy to posts links..

Kearse back with Titans for second stint

Eagles release LB Spikes after one season

Jets sign three-time Pro Bowler Richardson

Bailey's united: LB Boss signs with Broncos

Ravens, LB Ayanbadejo agree to contract

Patriots add Sanders, Williams to secondary

tony hipchest
03-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Patriots add Sanders, Williams to secondary

patriots add neon deion? :jawdrop:

why am i not suprised?