PDA

View Full Version : What about Mike Flynn at Center?

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Anybody know what our cap hit would be if we released Mahan??

The Ravens released Mike Flynn, but it seems he still feels like he is gonna play. I say offer him a 2 year deal and play him for 2 years and target one of the top centers in the 2009 draft like Alex Mack to be his successor.

Would be tough to have an ex raven around, but at least he is prove he can play center.

coachspeak33
02-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Flynn could be an option.....but oh yeah thats right....our FO would rather roll the dice with a team full of UDFA's ..... (enter sarcastic font) come on dude, we have darnell stapleton on our roster..

Or we could move a G (simmons) who has never played C
Or Colon....yeah lets consider another novice to solve our ills at that position
Or
Or
Or.....maybe, just maybe, we could justifiably hold Colbert accountable for complete mismanagement of the roster

they sit starks for colon....only to trans tag him...making him highest paid player on the team in 08....a year ago you told him, his teammates, all of Steeler Nation that he was a BACKUP!!!!!

Everybody on this sites rips Kendall Simmons relentlessly....Colbert inked him to a 25 million $$$ extension

If the Chin gets back into the coaching game.....he can take Colbert with him

19ward86
02-29-2008, 10:43 AM
I was thinking of posting this same thing. I think there is a chance we could get him if he cost less than Mahan. Lets see, mahan is on a 5yr $15million contract i think, so this year he probably gets paid around $3mil plus bonus, since he is past a 4 year veteren he automatically gets all of his garunteed money so if we released him we would save around 3 mil but there will be strings attached.

Dino 6 Rings
02-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Mahan is a natural guard and it wouldn't hurt to keep him on the roster for depth or potential replacement for Faneca, and then also Bring in a Natural Center.

tony hipchest
02-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Or.....maybe, just maybe, we could justifiably hold Colbert accountable for complete mismanagement of the roster

colbert/rooneys/tomlin = 3 headed monster with equal culpability. im pretty sure the rooneys are looking in the mirror just as much as they did cowher or colbert when examining any roster mismanagement.

its the steelerfans who think our line completely sucks. hell theres people who dont think faneca is worth the money he will get even though he is still regarded as the #1 or #2 guard in the game.

maybe ben just needs to call the adjustments better and put his linemen in better positions to block for him.

Dino 6 Rings
02-29-2008, 11:19 AM
I tend to agree that Ben was responsible for at least half the sacks he took last year, but there is no denying that Mahan was whipped often last season and that Faneca and others had to help with double teams on a nose tackle and couldn't help outside on the Tackles.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Mahan is a natural guard and it wouldn't hurt to keep him on the roster for depth or potential replacement for Faneca, and then also Bring in a Natural Center.

Yeah, I guess if we bring in a true center then Stapleton is released and Mahan moves to guard and if we draft 1 rookie lineman that will be the 9 O linemen. If 2 rookies are drafted then Kemo, Colon or Essex gets cut in addition to Stapleton.

coachspeak33
02-29-2008, 11:25 AM
colbert/rooneys/tomlin = 3 headed monster with equal culpability. im pretty sure the rooneys are looking in the mirror just as much as they did cowher or colbert when examining any roster mismanagement.

its the steelerfans who think our line completely sucks. hell theres people who dont think faneca is worth the money he will get even though he is still regarded as the #1 or #2 guard in the game.

maybe ben just needs to call the adjustments better and put his linemen in better positions to block for him.

No doubt tony.....I am just really trying to hold off making any real evaluations of tomlin until the end of next season

colbert on the other hand:coffee:
weve seen this kind of retroactive thinking from him before

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-29-2008, 11:26 AM
I tend to agree that Ben was responsible for at least half the sacks he took last year, but there is no denying that Mahan was whipped often last season and that Faneca and others had to help with double teams on a nose tackle and couldn't help outside on the Tackles.

The other issue with Mahan was experience playing with Faneca. I saw a couple times Faneca pass off somebody in a passing situation because they stunted inside and Mahan wasnt expecting it and missed the block. Alan isnt the greatest pass blocker, but he and Hartings worked well together.

coachspeak33
02-29-2008, 11:30 AM

As far as completely butchering the RT position in 07....
there is a lot of blood on Tomlins hands

polamalu82
02-29-2008, 11:31 AM

Lets not just blame the line and Ben here. The receivers weren't creating separation. If you watch the game tapes, when Ben got to the end of his drop he had nowhere to go with the ball.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
02-29-2008, 11:32 AM
I live in the Tampa area...I always felt that Mahan was a mistake because, quite honestly, he sucked for the Bucs. Tomlin and company screwed up on that one. This team needs a center in the mold of Webster, Dawson, and Hartings...

coachspeak33
02-29-2008, 11:46 AM
I live in the Tampa area...I always felt that Mahan was a mistake because, quite honestly, he sucked for the Bucs. Tomlin and company screwed up on that one. This team needs a center in the mold of Webster, Dawson, and Hartings...

Couldnt agree more F_S_F

but those C's are pretty rare and even more rare are C's fresh outta the draft and ready to play at a near pro bowl level as rookies

and FA??? cmon...this is the steelers were talkin bout

hell Jeff Faine just signed a monster contract and he couldnt carry Webby's or Dirt's jock with the help of a tow motor

our problems at the C position may very well continue for at least 3 more seasons:banging:

dunkuntou
02-29-2008, 12:27 PM
If the Steelers cut Mahan today they would take a cap hit of $3.2 million (they gave him a $4 million bonus which $800,000 has already been accounted for). If they were to cut him after June 1st he would count $1.6 million this year and $1.6 million next year.

Overall, thats a pretty hefty cap hit. But his cap value this year will be close to $3 million. Thats quite a bit a money for his poor performance

dunkuntou
02-29-2008, 12:31 PM
I think we could see a line shift. Where Mahan moves to left guard, Simmons moves to center and Willie Colon moves to right guard. That leaves right tackle open for big old Max Starks. However, I am not convinced he will be back for sure. But don't count on Mahan being cut any time before June 1st.

rbryan
02-29-2008, 12:44 PM
Mahan isn't going anywhere this year. He's an average NFL Guard, and we're paying him average money, but thats OK, with a salary cap you have to have average players on your team. Everybody can't be pro bowl quality. I look for him to play better with a year under his belt in our system. He will either show a huge improvement at center this TC or be moved to guard.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Mahan isn't going anywhere this year. He will either show a huge improvement at center this TC or be moved to guard.

I think you are right, the only scary thing is what if he doesnt improve in TC and is moved to guard......then Stapleton is the Center??

The Simmons experiment never worked in the past otherwise he would have been there last season with Colon inside and Starks at RT.

Thats why I am in favor of bringing in an experienced Center for camp!

regace91
02-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Can we stop acting like the line problems just started this past season? They were terrible during the 8-8 2006 season. They have given up the most sacks in franchise history the past 2 seasons and both with Faneca and only one with Mahan. I am not saying Mahan is good because he stinks as a center. But people need to stop worshipping at the altar of Alan Faneca. And I did not even mention the inconsistent running game. The whole line needs an overhaul.

billybob
02-29-2008, 09:01 PM
ben had a career year yes.but he took so many sacks that could have been avoided.the play broke down,and ben did not get the job finished.he called his own blocking skids,so do not blame it all on the o-line.It is not as weak as you may think.For 5 years we are geari8ng for the pass,not the run.ya wanna run,or do ya wanna pass?

RoethlisBURGHer
02-29-2008, 09:08 PM
I wouldnt mind Flynn at center, and Mahan at LG.

If Mahan is cut, it won't be before June 1st so he only counts $1.6M against the cap in 2008 and 2009 instead of $3M+ this year.

NJarhead
02-29-2008, 09:20 PM

Makes sense. I remember thinking that last year when we still had (what we thought was a decent center in ) Chukky Okobi. No reason not to revert back to that. Mahan hasn't been blowing any skirts up at center, but he is a starting guard. Definite options and possibilities there.

MasterOfPuppets
02-29-2008, 10:37 PM
I tend to agree that Ben was responsible for at least half the sacks he took last year, but there is no denying that Mahan was whipped often last season and that Faneca and others had to help with double teams on a nose tackle and couldn't help outside on the Tackles.i'd say for every sack that could be blamed on ben holding the ball too long....there was 1.5 sacks that he avoided....

billybob
03-01-2008, 12:00 AM
How do i spell this out for you guy's? Ben had one of his best years,but he called his own protection! He got his own sacks cause of it.He tried to make things happen,and thats what we like about him.But he did not make it happen.Until you get a back that can compensate for the Bus,forget about our chances.I like the directiion the defense is going,but the offense needs to be more respectable,especially,with the run!

Blitzburgh_Fever
03-01-2008, 12:17 AM
How do i spell this out for you guy's? Ben had one of his best years,but he called his own protection! He got his own sacks cause of it.He tried to make things happen,and thats what we like about him.But he did not make it happen.Until you get a back that can compensate for the Bus,forget about our chances.I like the directiion the defense is going,but the offense needs to be more respectable,especially,with the run!

Steelers not respectable in the run game? Srsly? We had the leading back in yardage during a large portion of the season. Yes, he dipped below 4.0, but he also had a ton of carries and ended the season above a 4.0 ypc. As people on here have said, it's not Parker's fault if he's getting taken down in the backfield. Bettis could move them, but there's no Jerome Bettis clone-o-mat that spawns bruiser linemen with great feet. You wanna talk respectability? Talk our line.

And I don't buy the "Ben caused most of his sacks" bit. He didn't cause half of them. True, he'd hold onto the ball too long at some points, but the line was just garbage. If the line can't keep up for his three step drop, and even if he could throw it away, that's not Ben holding onto the ball too long. That's poor protection.

We just need good players (not even great) playing in their position for longer than a year with the same guys for longer than a year. That and Mahan is a pretty bad center. Maybe be an okay guard, but he's a very not-good center.

fansince'76
03-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Until you get a back that can compensate for the Bus,forget about our chances.I like the directiion the defense is going,but the offense needs to be more respectable,especially,with the run!

Think we would have made up the double-digit deficits against the Browns in the game that wound up deciding the division and the Jags in the wild card game with a pound-it-out attack? In many past years (the latter half of the Noll era and pretty much the entire Cowher era) if we fell behind by 10+ points, it was game over. Not the case anymore. Offense not respectable? Please. The Steelers' offense hasn't been this potent since the late '70s. We're a solid O-line away from returning to truly elite status as a team.

Steel Buckeye
03-01-2008, 01:19 AM
Think we would have made up the double-digit deficits against the Browns in the game that wound up deciding the division and the Jags in the wild card game with a pound-it-out attack? In many past years (the latter half of the Noll era and pretty much the entire Cowher era) if we fell behind by 10+ points, it was game over. Not the case anymore. Offense not respectable? Please. The Steelers' offense hasn't been this potent since the late '70s. We're a solid O-line away from returning to truly elite status as a team.

I agree, aside from the O-line the offense is really good. Mahan is not a good fit at center. Colon is not a good fit at RG. Faneca seemed to give up on a lot of plays and not show a lot of effort. Ben is the only QB I have seen that has been able to thrive with no pass protection whatsoever, but if it continues he will get hurt and his career will end early.

Rhee Rhee
03-01-2008, 01:58 AM
give stapleton a chance... he could surprise...

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2008, 12:30 PM
give stapleton a chance... he could surprise...

Mahan could bounce back from last season and become a great NFL center too......both are unlikely.

Should get some insurance in free agency and pick one of the top centers in the 09 draft. That would make up for not addressing the position in the past few drafts by looking at guys like Jake Grove, Nick Mangold or Sampson Setele(sp?)

Elvis
03-01-2008, 08:20 PM
I think that Flynn would be a nice pickup for our team myself.. But it will never happen unless Hell Freezes Over in PA Tonight...
:jawdrop:

Galax Steeler
03-02-2008, 07:21 AM
I think that Flynn would be a nice pickup for our team myself.. But it will never happen unless Hell Freezes Over in PA Tonight...
:jawdrop:

Never know it is getting pretty cold up there.:wink02: