PDA

View Full Version : Brownies gettin' big up front

VTsteel
03-01-2008, 05:48 AM
It turns out Shaun Rogers is going to Ohio. It's just that he's becoming a member of the Browns, not the Bengals. After multiple media outlets earlier today said the Lions dealt the defensive tackle to Cincinnati, it was found out that the deal in fact was not yet complete. Now Rogers is headed to Cleveland in exchange for cornerback Leigh Bodden and the Browns' third-round pick, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

It's the second trade for a defensive tackle that the Browns have made today, as they already have acquired Corey Williams from Green Bay. Williams, 27, supposedly was taken off the free-agent market when the Packers gave him the franchise tag of $6.3 million. But they shied from investing long term in the fifth-year player and actively shopped him late in the week. The deal requires the Browns to sign Williams to a multiyear contract, and the cost will likely be steep. The middle of their defensive line will now be filled with about 700 pounds of girth.

These two guys are actually pretty good.

Blitzburgh_Fever
03-01-2008, 08:07 AM
It turns out Shaun Rogers is going to Ohio. It's just that he's becoming a member of the Browns, not the Bengals. After multiple media outlets earlier today said the Lions dealt the defensive tackle to Cincinnati, it was found out that the deal in fact was not yet complete. Now Rogers is headed to Cleveland in exchange for cornerback Leigh Bodden and the Browns' third-round pick, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

It's the second trade for a defensive tackle that the Browns have made today, as they already have acquired Corey Williams from Green Bay. Williams, 27, supposedly was taken off the free-agent market when the Packers gave him the franchise tag of $6.3 million. But they shied from investing long term in the fifth-year player and actively shopped him late in the week. The deal requires the Browns to sign Williams to a multiyear contract, and the cost will likely be steep. The middle of their defensive line will now be filled with about 700 pounds of girth.

These two guys are actually pretty good.

Wait, so, they traded their third for Shaun Rogers? And they traded their second for Corey Williams. And they traded their first to move up and get Quinn last year. So they're not drafting even drafting until Day Two, and they're skipping the third round at that? Let me first to say:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :flap::flap::flap:

Newzfoxjr
03-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Still, that's a good DL. I think they could've been smarter about it, but eh.

Blitzburgh_Fever
03-01-2008, 08:39 AM
Oh absolutely, solid solid d-line. But if they don't win a Super Bowl in a few years they're gonna be looking at a sagging line with a potentially wasted draft year in 08. Build through the draft, supplement through FA. Or maybe I'm just bitter of big FA moves since I'm a Steelers fan :tt02:

Jeremy
03-01-2008, 08:43 AM
Nice line.....stupid moves.

Desperation doesn't look good on the Browns. Unless they can swindle someone out of a first day pick for Anderson, they're going to look really stupid.

Blitzburgh_Fever
03-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Talked to some Brownies fans, who insists their intent to get Stallworth is sincere (not that this is anything official or what not).

Honestly this reeks of a Madden-esque pickup (talking about the video game). Which is fine, because you play a football game for maybe a total of three seasons, because afterwards you can't sign anyone and your team sucks. My buddies and I like to see which teams follow this trend, because year after year there's one team that stacks themselves through FA and trades and then sucks for the next few years because they went grandiose for a year or two.

Looks like the Brownies are doing it this year, if they can't work anything out to send Anderson or Quinn away for a high pick, either of which would be a major score for someone. Savage has said he wants to keep both players, but I can't see that being realistic if they want any longevity out of this year.

Sorry for being so spammy on this, I have a lot of Browns, Cowboys, and Titans friends :coffee: We communicate nearly hourly during FA and all watch the draft together. My Browns fans all criticize the Cowboys fans for their FA antics, and this year they're bragging about their pickups :yawn:

It can be rough being the lone diehard Steelers fan in our group with FA splashers like the Cowboys and, now, the Brownies, but draft day and the regular season makes up for it! :helmet:

Please god let us sweep the Brownies again so I can get the last laugh!
:tt02::tt02::tt02:

Stlrs4Life
03-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Good move on Wiliams, but Rogers. Not sure. He's over weight and is lazy at times. We ned a good center now, that's for sure.

TeeJay
03-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Talked to some Brownies fans, who insists their intent to get Stallworth is sincere (not that this is anything official or what not).

The name Stallworth, on a Browns Jersey, is just wrong!!

OneForTheToe
03-01-2008, 10:54 AM
I agree these moves should improve the cleve brownies, but as Blitzburgh_Fever said they had better win now because their approach to the draft now looks very Daniel Snyder-ish.

19ward86
03-01-2008, 11:25 AM
If they switched to the 4-3 base these moves would be excellent and they would have a great inside pass rush but....the 3-4 defense doesnt work well with pass rushing types of D-lineman, can you imagine Dwight Freeney in a 3-4 as a DE not a OLB? i cant. Not saying that rogers and williams will be bad but they wont get the full effect of these 2 great DT.

lilyoder6
03-01-2008, 12:19 PM
i think they should just switch the the 4-3 with the 2 dt's they got.. it prob won't hurt them

RoethlisBURGHer
03-01-2008, 05:56 PM
From what I have read, they intend to move Williams to DE.

They also have Shaun Smith and Robaire Smith.

Looks like the defensive line will be Williams-Rodgers-Smith/Smith with Shaun Smith rotating in at DT to spell Rodgers.

That's one helluva defensive line.

revefsreleets
03-01-2008, 06:05 PM
But Leigh Bodden was their best DB. And they don't have a pick until the 4th now. And they have a TON of money locked up at QB...if they can't dump that albatross Derek Anderson (the party is SO over for him now that teams have film), they will be banking almost 100% on FA's, and that's the same recipe the Redskins have been smelling up the NFL with for years.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
03-01-2008, 06:38 PM
But Leigh Bodden was their best DB. And they don't have a pick until the 4th now. And they have a TON of money locked up at QB...if they can't dump that albatross Derek Anderson (the party is SO over for him now that teams have film), they will be banking almost 100% on FA's, and that's the same recipe the Redskins have been smelling up the NFL with for years.

The Browns are probably hopping that with Eric Wright and Brandon McDonald both getting a year under their belts, they will be able to take over and play at the level, or above, as Bodden.

Rhee Rhee
03-01-2008, 06:49 PM
If they switched to the 4-3 base these moves would be excellent and they would have a great inside pass rush but....the 3-4 defense doesnt work well with pass rushing types of D-lineman, can you imagine Dwight Freeney in a 3-4 as a DE not a OLB? i cant. Not saying that rogers and williams will be bad but they wont get the full effect of these 2 great DT.

i'm guaranteeing they switch to a base 4-3... kamerion wimbley on one end position...

chaun thompson, dqwell jackson and antwan peek playing the other LB spots...

and the other DE position can switch off between mcginest, purcell, or a draft pick...

i think giving away bodden will hurt them a bit tho...

xXTheSteelKingsXx
03-01-2008, 06:54 PM
i'm guaranteeing they switch to a base 4-3... kamerion wimbley on one end position...

chaun thompson, dqwell jackson and antwan peek playing the other LB spots...

and the other DE position can switch off between mcginest, purcell, or a draft pick...

i think giving away bodden will hurt them a bit tho...

Don't forget about Andre Davis. He would probably be their best LB in a 4-3 if your moving Wimbley to DE.

revefsreleets
03-01-2008, 07:21 PM
I would take Wimbley in a split second if the Browns switch over. I'm not sure he can play DE in an NFL 4-3, but I know he can be a devastating OLB in a properly manned and run 3-4 (something the Browns only run accidentally from time to time)

Edman
03-02-2008, 12:06 PM
And when the Steelers get a Competant Center not named Mahan, it will render Cleveland's big guys obsolete.

On paper, Cleveland looks superior to the Steelers, but the paper doesn't decide the season. I will not take these moves seriously until I see these moves on the field.

I understand Corey Williams, but can anyone explain to me what is so great about Shaun Rogers?

OneForTheToe
03-02-2008, 01:59 PM
I don't think the Brownnies are superior even on paper to the Steelers.

Let's compare:

QB, - Seriously I'll take the one the has won a playoff game and a Super Bowl to boot.

Wide outs - pretty close but I would take Heath at TE over Winslow because he can block, but I'll call it a tie. Maybe Cleveland has the edge in depth.

Running Back - Willie has the edge and is younger.

O'line - I'll give to the Browns

D'line - both teams have two probowl caliber players on the D'line, and the Steelers players have played together before. Still, I'll call it a tie to give Cleveland the benefit of the doubt.

L'backer - not even close the Steelers win easily.

Db's- well Cleveland traded away their best db and I know we have the advantage at safety.

Special Teams - Based solely on last year well yes Cleveland was better. However,
you can't judge that at all at this point so Ill say incomplete.

So, even on paper, I say the Steelers have the advantage.

Blitzburgh_Fever
03-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Someone on here mentioned in another thread exactly what I've been thinking. Anderson throws the ball up whenever he feels pressure and sometimes he's right, and just as often he's wrong. Sure he looks good because no one thought he'd be a threat and had never seen him play, but he's got Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow to throw to, as well as a seasoned vet in Jurevicious. Jamal Lewis had a few impressive runs, enough to keep them going when they were ahead, and Cribbs made them look better than they were against teams with subpar ST (not even going to mention who here... :dang:

In short:
Anderson = Maddox
Jurevicious = a much crappier Ward
Edwards = Burress
Jamal Lewis = a much, much, much, much, much, you get the point, crappier Jerome Bettis (may I burn for even making the comparison)

The archetypes are the same (even though the talent isn't!). I bet Brownies feel the same way seeing a long bomb from Anderson as we did when Maddox would hurl it deep and Plaxico would make him look good. It works 5/10 times, and 2/10 of those end up in pics. How is Stallworth going to change all of this? It's not Jurevicious' hands or speed that makes Anderson throw picks, it's bad decisions and prayers. :blah:

As far the D, laaaame :coffee:. We're talking about Ben Roethlisberger; our line collapsed more often than not last year anyways and he still made crazy, crazy escapes and throws on the same play. At least when Ben throws it deep, you know it's because Holmes just put a move on a cornerback and burned a safety, and Ben's gonna put it where he needs it. Ben doesn't pray, he wins. :jammin:

I wonder how much Hines and Holmes laughed at hearing the Browns were getting an even worse secondary. :toofunny:

revefsreleets
03-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Oh, by the way (and I'm not sure how I missed this) there is absolutely no WAY that the Browns acquired a guy who weighs 313 and another guy who weighs 340 and they switch to a 4-3.

NO WAY.

The Browns D is a 3-4, and they picked these guys up because they know how a 3-4 should run (they see it twice a year when they play the Steelers), and these guys will be stud 3-4 DL's.