PDA

View Full Version : Falcons sign Michael Turner

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Source: Turner to get $15M guaranteed from Falcons
ESPN.com news services
Updated: March 2, 2008, 3:34 PM ET

The best available running back in the free-agent market has a new home.

Michael Turner, who has been the Chargers' insurance policy for LaDainian Tomlinson, agreed to a six-year, $34.5 million contract with the Falcons, with $15 million guaranteed, a source told ESPN.com's Michael Smith.

Turner gained 316 yards on 71 carries with one touchdown last season
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3273710

MasterOfPuppets
03-02-2008, 03:12 PM
hmmmmm........i wonder if this takes mcfadden off the falcons board.....:scratchchin:

kmsteelerwr15
03-02-2008, 03:17 PM
bad news for Norwood IMO

ShutDown24
03-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Well, that's a good move on their part. They can definitely start to build something around Turner. Draft a QB, improve your line as much as possible (It isn't as bad as most people think) and with Joe Horn and the younger receivers as well as Ovie Mughellie and Norwood, that offense doesn't look too, too bad. Of course all of those things happening are doubtful, but Turner is a step in the right direction in my opinion.

BlastFurnace
03-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Boy...did we get a steal with Parker's contract or what!

CantStop85
03-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Bye bye Warrick Dunn

fansince'76
03-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Bye bye Warrick Dunn

He'd look great in B&G for the vet minimum. :rolleyes:

ShutDown24
03-02-2008, 03:45 PM
He'd look great in B&G for the vet minimum. :rolleyes:

Actually... Yeah, I think he would :jawdrop:

19ward86
03-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Now i really want to see what michael turner can do with 16 starts, he has good speed and great power which makes him explosive in my mind.

fansince'76
03-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Actually... Yeah, I think he would :jawdrop:

Which begs the question: how many vets who have names you've actually heard of before EVER sign for the vet minimum? Besides, he's 33.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Good job Falcons.

I think they go QB with their first-round pick (Matt Ryan if he falls otherwise they take Brian Brohm).

I feel bad for Brohm, he had a helluva season, unfortunatly he can't help the fact that Loisville couldn't play defense.

lilyoder6
03-02-2008, 09:45 PM
i was happy to here this b/c my friend's and i have a mock draft pool and most of them had the atl drafting mcfadden.. and i had them picking rayn.. i think this is good for turner b/c he'll most likely be able to start

ShutDown24
03-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Which begs the question: how many vets who have names you've actually heard of before EVER sign for the vet minimum? Besides, he's 33.

Oh I don't know, I honestly don't think Dunn will be that sought after. He only wants to play a couple more seasons max - why not go somewhere with a chance of a championship for cheap? (The Steelers are closer than most teams at least by national perspective I think). This is one of those deals that shouldn't happen and probably won't but sometimes does and surprises you. Just my opinion.

Jeremy
03-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Bye bye Warrick Dunn

You know nothing about Dunn or football.

CantStop85
03-03-2008, 09:38 AM
You know nothing about Dunn or football.

Ouch, that burns. Yet, I know enough that with the signing of Michael Turner and with Jerious Norwood still on the roster, the Falcons have no need for the aging Warrick Dunn and his cap hit.

Don't believe me?

Atlanta Falcons Will Cut Warrick Dunn; Buccaneers, Colts Are Interested

Michael David Smith
Posted Mar 3rd 2008 8:25AM by Michael David Smith
Filed under: Buccaneers, Colts, Falcons, Atlanta, Indianapolis, NFL Free Agency, Tampa Bay

A day after the Atlanta Falcons signed running back Michael Turner to split carries with Jerious Norwood, it's official that Warrick Dunn is the odd man out: Adam Schefter of NFL Network is reporting that the Falcons will release Dunn.

But it doesn't sound as if Dunn plans to retire. According to Schefter, at least two teams are interested in acquiring Dunn's services: The Tampa Bay Buccaneers, for whom Dunn played the first five years of his NFL career; and the Indianapolis Colts, whose coach, Tony Dungy, has a good relationship with Dunn dating to their days in Tampa together.

The only question is whether Dunn would really do anything to help either team. Dunn is a good man who has had a good NFL career, and it always feels a little uncomfortable criticizing him, but let's face it: This is a 33-year-old guy who averaged 3.2 yards a carry last year. He's not exactly in his prime.

Ultimately, if Dunn is willing to be a backup role player who serves as something of a half-coach, half-player, he might be able to help a team a little bit. But retirement might be his best option.

Jeremy
03-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Ouch, that burns. Yet, I know enough that with the signing of Michael Turner and with Jerious Norwood still on the roster, the Falcons have no need for the aging Warrick Dunn and his cap hit.

Don't believe me?

No.....I don't think you know anything about football.

CantStop85
03-03-2008, 10:21 AM
No.....I don't think you know anything about football.
Your support being?

TackleMeBen
03-03-2008, 10:39 AM
espn just reported that dunn was released by the falcons.

Jeremy
03-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Your support being?

You're a Bengals fan.

83-Steelers-43
03-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Judging that Dunn's release would free up around three million in cap space and he asked the Falcons for a release, I think he's as good as gone.

Dizzle43
03-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Turner is a good back deserving of a starting job. He will get more than his share of carries in the upcoming season.

83-Steelers-43
03-03-2008, 11:00 AM
And bye-bye to Dunn...

Veteran running back Dunn released by Falcons
ESPN.com news services
Updated: March 3, 2008, 11:53 AM ET

ATLANTA -- The Atlanta Falcons released running back Warrick Dunn on Monday, one day after signing free agent Michael Turner.

Last season, Dunn became the 22nd back in NFL history to rush for 1,000 yards. But his days in Atlanta were numbered after the Falcons doled out a six-year contract to Turner, for $34.5 million with approximately $15 million guaranteed, sources told ESPN.com's Michael Smith.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3274708

Jeremy
03-03-2008, 11:03 AM
I hope he sticks around with someone. Warrick Dunn is probably the best person in the NFL. The amount of charity work he does has always set the bar for everyone else.

CantStop85
03-03-2008, 11:07 AM
You're a Bengals fan.

Just what I expected. Thanks.

Oh look, I was right by the way. :wink02:

Jeremy
03-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Just what I expected. Thanks.

Oh look, I was right by the way. :wink02:

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while cornholer.

Dino 6 Rings
03-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Falcons were never going to draft McFadden, the guy could be fast enough to run around the earth and travel in time, but with the Vick experience, McFadden had way too many off the field issues (I live in Arkansas, I know his off the field issues) that they wanted ZERO part of taking a chance on him. Getting Turner helps them solidify their running attack, they will draft QB and start the rebuilding process. Rumor has Culpepper Moss reunion in Atlanta. You never know.

Jeremy
03-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Falcons were never going to draft McFadden, the guy could be fast enough to run around the earth and travel in time, but with the Vick experience, McFadden had way too many off the field issues (I live in Arkansas, I know his off the field issues) that they wanted ZERO part of taking a chance on him. Getting Turner helps them solidify their running attack, they will draft QB and start the rebuilding process. Rumor has Culpepper Moss reunion in Atlanta. You never know.

So they'll run away from McFadden and his issues but welcome in Culpepper and Moss?

Doesn't make much sense.

Dino 6 Rings
03-03-2008, 12:37 PM
So they'll run away from McFadden and his issues but welcome in Culpepper and Moss?

Doesn't make much sense.

Moss Culpepper would be short term solutions, not long term deals, 3 or 4 years max, McFadden would be a franchise decision. They may not go for Moss or Dante, but they surely shouldn't draft McFadden if they want to avoid another Vick situation.

steelpride12
03-03-2008, 02:37 PM
After the falcons sent Crumpler packing i thought they were doomed, but some of their off season signings so far have been more than impressive.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-03-2008, 06:35 PM

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny: :toofunny::toofunny:

Don't forget the hotdogs that are bigger than the bun!

lilyoder6
03-03-2008, 07:55 PM
well it would be hard to have a culp and moss reunion since esapn said that moss signed a 3 yr deal with ne... i think that dunn can find some where to play at.. there are always teams looking for a rb to play for them... i would think that chi would like to get him since benson is a bust so far..

tony hipchest
03-05-2008, 01:08 PM
only a blind squirrel couldnt see that the writing was on the wall for dunn in atl. it was pretty evident even before the turner signing.

i guess that makes me a bengal fan.

MasterOfPuppets
03-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Moss Culpepper would be short term solutions, not long term deals, 3 or 4 years max, McFadden would be a franchise decision. They may not go for Moss or Dante, but they surely shouldn't draft McFadden if they want to avoid another Vick situation.i heard that he hosted underground hamster fights !!!....:.... :shake02:

tony hipchest
03-05-2008, 03:12 PM
i heard that he hosted underground hamster fights !!!....:.... :shake02:
richard gere had the same problem.

MasterOfPuppets
03-05-2008, 03:45 PM
richard gere had the same problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U81ToU1G4mY ...........:toofunny: