PDA

View Full Version : Eugene Wilson coming in for a visit this week

BlastFurnace
03-02-2008, 02:46 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

New England FA's scare me because they rarely seem to pan out after leaving.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-02-2008, 02:53 PM

New England FA's scare me because they rarely seem to pan out after leaving.

I couldnt find the story...now I see it...that scares me.

I'm not sure if he is a good fit for our system.

19ward86
03-02-2008, 03:44 PM
If he comes he would be another tyrone carter type of player for us. Ryan Clark is our guy until we draft someone.

fansince'76
03-02-2008, 03:51 PM
"Coming in for a visit" does not equal "signed, sealed and delivered," especially where the Steelers are involved in FA.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-02-2008, 05:35 PM
maybe he's just being sent to spy on us...

yinzer-inseattle
03-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Here's a comment on Wilson from the Boston Herald. Seems as though he's been the crap house with their coaches, but could benefit from a change of scenery..

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/patriots/

A couple of readers have asked about Eugene Wilson?s fall from grace, which is pretty stunning, given how good he looked as a rookie in 2003, when he started Super Bowl XXXVIII against the Panthers, and then when he was even better in 2004, earning a spot on ESPN.com?s All Pro team.

It seemed his problems were two-fold.

1. When the Patriots lost Rodney Harrison in 2005, the pressure of needing to be a leader got to Wilson and he wasn?t ready for it, resulting in a crisis of confidence that just spiraled. He was never the same thereafter.

2. He lost the coaching staff to a degree by missing a ton of time over the last two years with injuries. Playing through hamstring and groin injuries is undoubtedly easier said than done, but there seemed to be a frustration level around the team because he wasn?t able to take the field more.

When the Patriots were hanging on for dear life against the Giants in Super Bowl XLII, it spoke volumes that untested rookie Brandon Meriweather was on the field instead of the two-time Super Bowl champ Wilson.

Rhee Rhee
03-02-2008, 05:48 PM
if we do end up signing him i dont see the problem in it... he can't pan out worse than mahan... can he??

RJC
03-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Eugene freakin' Wislon? Goody, goody, gum drops!!! The only thing this means is the Steelers have no faith in Anthony Smith, and that Ryan Clark's return is in serious doubt. THE END~

lilyoder6
03-02-2008, 09:50 PM
well tyrone carter is getting old and wilson could fill his spot as back up and play st.. i think personally that smith will be the future at FS and clark if he comes back from this injury will start for at least another yr

tony hipchest
03-02-2008, 11:36 PM

:toofunny:

probably so.

"but for vet minimum eugene may be..._______ "(insert cliche here)

i hope clark has a miracle recovery.

Galax Steeler
03-03-2008, 03:32 AM
If we get him cheap enough I don't see the problam.

DACEB
03-03-2008, 08:37 AM
I think it all comes down to the money. He is definetely worth a shot, the guy can play (when healthy).

Someone has to push A. Smith, so if the money's right do it.

Sadly this could be interpreted as Ryan Clark's football days are numbered, I hope that's not the case.

Dino 6 Rings
03-03-2008, 08:44 AM

HA!!!! LMAO!

:sofunny:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-03-2008, 02:50 PM
He would be an upgrade over Clark and Carter, so come on and visit.

But if he as a videocamera.....take it before he gets in the building.

Lord Stiller
03-03-2008, 02:53 PM
He would be an upgrade over Clark and Carter, so come on and visit.

he's more like an insurance policy in case Clark isn't fully ready this season. A healthy Clark is better than Wilson IMO

i do hope we sign Wilson and cut all ties with Carter

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-03-2008, 04:44 PM
i lost all faith in carter when he got smoked on that long run in last year's playoff game and looked foolish against jax.

aclark99
03-03-2008, 04:51 PM
WIlson will be an upgrade over what is currently on our roster. Smith is a propsect but with his recent play makes him questionable. Clark's blood disorder makes him extremely questionable. I think we have no other choice but to sign WIlson and give him the opportunity to compete for a starting job next to Polamalu. I believe Wilson is fast and can be considered a ball-hawk type of player. Could be a really good pick-up.

Dizzle43
03-03-2008, 10:44 PM

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

That was a good one!!! I wouldn't doubt it if Belicheat is trying to expand his horizons since they're all over his video taping.

Welcome To Smashmouth
03-03-2008, 11:36 PM

hahahaha.....classic

Galax Steeler
03-04-2008, 03:23 AM
:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

That was a good one!!! I wouldn't doubt it if Belicheat is trying to expand his horizons since they're all over his video taping.

Never know what belicheat is thinking.:wink02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-04-2008, 06:48 AM
i lost all faith in carter when he got smoked on that long run in last year's playoff game and looked foolish against jax.

Carter is strictly a package and wave player...he should never be a starter but is a legit fill-in.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-05-2008, 09:42 AM
So Wilson came and left without a contract. I think that it is that point in free agency where the money is drying up but players havnt accepted that reality...it may slow down for a bit and then players will be willing to drop their price or be willing to sign for one year in hopes of the big payoof next year.

Wilson may have been a good pick up since he plays safety and CB..and would have upgraded our ST's if he didnt win the safety spot outright.

I happen to be one of those who think that we will probably never see Ryan Clark in Black & Gold again...so Safety is something of a priority either in FA or in the draft.

Dino 6 Rings
03-05-2008, 09:46 AM
I tend to agree about Clark, its a tough road for him to get himself back into the starting position and we aren't going to pay him to be 2nd string.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-05-2008, 12:48 PM
maybe they realized that he sucks and that there's no need to sign him for more than he's worth (and probably wants). i trust the steeler's judgment on this one.

lilyoder6
03-05-2008, 05:08 PM
i think that since clark most likely won't be able to play he should just help coach smith and then smith will become better and still be the starte next yr.. and carter is a small dude.. like said above he is a package player and a st player

SteelerMurf
03-05-2008, 08:23 PM
He probably left without a contract cause it appears he wants to visit several teams first and then negotiate. Cause he left everywhere without talking money (it appears)

lilyoder6
03-05-2008, 09:37 PM
but it's always about the money...

Rhee Rhee
03-06-2008, 03:24 AM
pass on eugene wilson = kenny phillips in the draft... wahooo!

Galax Steeler
03-06-2008, 03:53 AM
pass on eugene wilson = kenny phillips in the draft... wahooo!

Agreed kenny phillips would be a nice adition.

Dino 6 Rings
03-06-2008, 11:54 AM
turns out Wilson couldn't tackle...and that's what we need on our kick teams. Out the door fella, go learn how to square up and take on a man running with the ball...

next, who can tackle?

BlastFurnace
03-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Eugene Wilson is now being courted by the Bengals. He's sure making the rounds.