PDA

View Full Version : Mewelde Moore to Steelers

DACEB
03-03-2008, 08:31 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3274467

This is a link to the Big Ben signing, but it also mentions Moore coming in for a visit.

In addition to a pay raise, the Steelers are also in the process of adding another weapon to Roethlisberger's arsenal. Pittsburgh hosted former Vikings running back Mewelde Moore on Sunday and his signing appears imminent.

Moore will provide Pittsburgh's offense with the legitimate receiving threat out of the backfield it had lacked. He's also likely to serve as the team's primary kickoff and punt returner.

Interesting!!

83-Steelers-43
03-03-2008, 08:46 AM
He's also likely to serve as the team's primary kickoff and punt returner.

Now this signing (if it occurs) makes sense, because it is a need(s) that should come relatively cheap.

He's not a big name WR who is over 6'3 that Roethlisberger absolutely needs in order for this team to surive and he's not some over the hill TE that we just have to have because everybody else is signing the name on the back of the jersey.

slippy
03-03-2008, 08:46 AM
moore's signing would be great (provided he can help us).

it means we would not be looking at RB in the draft.

DACEB
03-03-2008, 09:28 AM
yea, I like it too!!

CantStop85
03-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Solves the return game problems.

ShutDown24
03-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Moore is a good back too. I'm not sure if Davenport will make it out of this season as the true spell back.

fansince'76
03-03-2008, 09:54 AM

That alone is worth its weight in gold. I don't have much confidence in Reid as a KR at the moment.

Dizzle43
03-03-2008, 10:11 AM
There is no way Reid will be returning kicks this year.

memphissteelergirl
03-03-2008, 10:17 AM

I certainly hope not....he was abysmal!

tony hipchest
03-03-2008, 10:26 AM
I certainly hope not....he was abysmal!

Pepto-Abysmal

(made me sick)

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Oh boy....I hate to be the lone distractor on this thread...but Moore only returned ONE Kickoff last year (20 yards)....and in 16 games only returned 13 punts for a 10 yard average.

I know that 40 times are overrated..but he runs a 4.63 forty..which IS relevent for return men.

The only thing that gets me excited about him is that it looks like he doesnt try to catch the ball with the top of his helmet...which is an upgrade, unfortunately.

83-Steelers-43
03-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the info LLT. No doubt, not exactly the greatest of news when it comes to this guy.

Then again, I'm just happy they are actually aiming for a need and not some over-priced, big name FA. IF we sign this guy, I guess we will see how he performs in a Steeler jersey.

Maybe he will surprise us all and not in a Colclough/Reid type of way. :wink02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the info LLT. No doubt, not exactly the greatest of news when it comes to this guy.

Then again, I'm just happy they are actually aiming for a need and not some over-priced, big name FA. IF we sign this guy, I guess we will see how he performs in a Steeler jersey.

Maybe he will surprise us all and not in a Colclough/Reid type of way. :wink02:

Like I said...he, unfortunately, is an upgrade. Hopefully he can return to his 2005 form.

Dizzle43
03-03-2008, 10:36 AM
The only thing that gets me excited about him is that it looks like he doesnt try to catch the ball with the top of his helmet...which is an upgrade, unfortunately. :sofunny:

Yes it is an upgrade. I think we need to get someone that can give us an advantage on kick-offs and punts. It would help to get some points in the return game or at least get good field position. We have'nt gotten either the past few years.

Edman
03-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Eh, can't say I'm TOO excited.

If he can help open up the offense even further and be that extra threat out of the backfield(Jacksonville with Jones-Drew), then by all means sign him.

Role players are valuable.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-03-2008, 10:50 AM
adding moore would be a solid move...the depth at running back would be set, with parker, davenport, moore, russell and davis.

the steelers have always shown an ability to find "up and comers" relatively cheap...if they pull this off i applaud them!

OneForTheToe
03-03-2008, 11:00 AM
We could probably just sign him for the money that falls out of the wheel barrel when Ben is pushing out of Heinz field. :tt02: I'm sure Ben wouldn't even waste his time going back for a few $100,000 if it got away.

stlrtruck
03-03-2008, 11:02 AM

You obviously haven't seen our return game!

It's the same as seeing a bengal, not in jail - a joke!

Blitzburgh_Fever
03-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Pepto-Abysmal

(made me sick)

That's awesome :cheers:

PalmerSteel
03-03-2008, 11:19 AM
as much as you may hate him and his team, faulk for the patriots was very important and he is a very good and important player for them. i can vision moore to do the same kind of things with his play and his experience for us. i hope we get him CHEAP.

BlastFurnace
03-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Positives: Moore fills a need at KR, PR, and 3rd down RB. He's young with not a lot of wear on the tires. He is someone that the coach is familiar with that has shown production in the past. Also, it allows the Steelers to use one more of their draft picks where they most need them...in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Negatives: He's not really starting material in case Willie isn't ready and neither is Davenport. Not sure what Russell brings to the table yet, but he has me curious.

If this does take place, I like the signing...especially if he can take the reigns at KR and PR....and HANG ON TO THE BALL.

Steeldude
03-03-2008, 11:22 AM
i think the STs problems lie deeper than the return man

PalmerSteel
03-03-2008, 11:26 AM

thats is not even an opnion. that is definately a FACT :banging:

Dino 6 Rings
03-03-2008, 11:40 AM
I think Najeh might be on his way out the door if Moore is signed. I wanted them to draft Felix Jones and fix all the holes that people say Moore would fix, PR, KR, 3rd down back, but I guess my wish list won't be filled and it'll be Oline, Oline, Dline and Defensive backs this year in the draft.

BlastFurnace
03-03-2008, 11:51 AM

But...it's a start. With as bad as the Steelers special teams were, anyone who can play that role is an improvement.

Elvis
03-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Sounds good to me also.. just think that since we lost Rossum that we definitely had to replace him with someone.
:tt02:

83-Steelers-43
03-03-2008, 12:23 PM

Very true. At the same time, Rome wasn't built in a day. You have to start somewhere.

Haiku_Dirtt
03-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Oh boy....I hate to be the lone distractor on this thread...but Moore only returned ONE Kickoff last year (20 yards)....and in 16 games only returned 13 punts for a 10 yard average.

I know that 40 times are overrated..but he runs a 4.63 forty..which IS relevent for return men.

The only thing that gets me excited about him is that it looks like he doesnt try to catch the ball with the top of his helmet...which is an upgrade, unfortunately.

Yeah I was wondering about the "return game" part too. "Where's the beef?"

But he touched the ball over 260 times with the Vikes and fumbled twice and only lost ONE. Couple that with a career 4.9 yard rushing average & 9.4 yd rec. ave. and it seems clear that...

When they did call his number he produced. I hope he likes to hit walls head on. :banging:

Welcome to PGH Mewelde.

Edman
03-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Welcome to Pittsburgh, Mewelde.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_555322.html

stlrtruck
03-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Fair Warning Mr. Moore: DO NOT become another 22!!! :dang: :banging: :pissed: :mad:

Edman
03-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Fair Warning Mr. Moore: DO NOT become another 22!!! :dang: :banging: :pissed: :mad:

In other words, Don't Catch 22. It's cursed.

Sweatsuit Staley...Kevan Barlow....

Dylan
03-03-2008, 01:49 PM
The Steelers, who locked up franchise quarterback Ben Roethlisberger Monday with an eight-year, $102 million contract extension, added depth to their offense by reaching a three-year, $4.95 million deal with Vikings halfback Mewelde Moore.

Moore, 25, is an elusive back who was signed to back up Willie Parker and work with big back Najeh Davenport. He was a fourth-round pick of the Vikings in 2004. In his second season, he started eight games and rushed for 662 yards and caught 37 passes for the Vikings in 2005. Moore will received $1.35 million to sign.

Because he has good speed, Moore has a 4.9 yard per carry average and is considered to be a good pass-catcher out of the backfield.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3274613

amazing pickup for the steelers.

Lord Stiller
03-03-2008, 02:18 PM
sounds like a very good signing to me. addresses 2 steelers needs: kick returner, and a 3rd down receiving back

Moore could be a diamond in the rough

Rhee Rhee
03-03-2008, 02:19 PM
BOO!!!

lame... eugene wilson over mewelde moore anyday...

Dylan
03-03-2008, 02:29 PM
BOO!!!

lame... eugene wilson over mewelde moore anyday...

we can still sign moore also.

steelpride12
03-03-2008, 02:30 PM
As long as Reid is not returning kicks or punts, im a happy camper.
If we pick him up that means no RB problems in the draft and a decent return man....i like it!!!

Elvis
03-03-2008, 02:32 PM
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/headshot/M/O/O/MOO557284.jpg

Mewelde Moore | #30 | RB

Height: 5-11 Weight: 209 Age: 25
Born: 7/24/1982 Hammond , LA
College: Tulane
Experience: 4th season
High School: Belaire HS [Baton Rouge, LA]

:tt02::cheer::cheers:
I love the pickup folks. The young man gives us twice the player that Rossum was because he can actually play on offense and contribute to the team where Rossum couldnt sniff the field on defense.
Best Season Stats with the Vikings look like this:
4.3 avg. 662 yards only 1 td
37 rec. 9.2 avg. 2 td's
46 rec. 468 yards 1 td
In '07 he was used very little in the passing game as he only caught 8 passes. This guy is gonna be a big play guy on 3rd downs.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-03-2008, 02:44 PM
I love the pickup too!! Moore runs hard and the return/receiving value is a big plus as well. Not a big guy, but always seems to finish runs falling forward, unlike Davenport who sometimes stops moving and tries to dance to a hole.

Would love to see Eugene Wilson in a Steelers uniform too.

I think the PG article says the fact that Ben's deal is so large that the Steelers may have to rescind the offer to Starks. If Starks leaves, then look for some veteran backup like Shane Olivea as insurance and definately an OT in round 1.

aclark99
03-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Moore is a gretat pickup. He was at one time on pace to be the Vikings premier back when Ontario Smith went down. Moore sustained an injury. I think it is time to start releaising some dead weight on this roster. Reid would be the first one to go. Great signing.

jjpro11
03-03-2008, 02:55 PM
we signed a free agent! we signed a free agent! :chicken::banana::cheer::tt02:

OneForTheToe
03-03-2008, 03:00 PM
I love the pickup too!!
I think the PG article says the fact that Ben's deal is so large that the Steelers may have to rescind the offer to Starks. If Starks leaves, then look for some veteran backup like Shane Olivea as insurance and definately an OT in round 1.

If the Steelers can reach a long term deal with Starks then they have other options to free up some cap money. They could renegotiate a veterens contract to turn this years cap money into a signing bonus. Or, they could release a contract or two.

Personally, I don't see them keeping Starks, Smith and Mahan. With the transition tag on Starks that comes out to over17 million a year for those three guys. I think one of them will be gone. Most likely I would say Mahan, but I wouldn't rule out it being one of the other two since Mahan can play two positions. I don't want to see us lose Smith, but the Steelers might see Starks (who presumably has a bigger upside at left tackle) and new draft pick as the answers at OT over a good but aging player in Smith.

BozMan
03-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Does this mean Gary Russell or Dan Kreider is out the door?

randy06
03-03-2008, 03:38 PM
i dont think so, but he should be an elusive backup to willie:helmet:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
03-03-2008, 03:41 PM

Dan Kreider possibly but I think it really means Verron Haynes will be gone for good.

dunkuntou
03-03-2008, 03:47 PM

Kreider is a UFA and is pretty much good as gone. It doesn't make sense to keep him around with the current offensive system.

Stlrs4Life
03-03-2008, 04:16 PM

I sense the sarcasim, but not really. I think we could have found a good return guy in the draft on the second day. But don't think he will beat out Bloom.

19ward86
03-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Moore was a guy that could of been drafted in the second round but was drafted in the fourth. He has good speed, great skills, he is a big addition.

HometownGal
03-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Hey - I'm cool with this signing. The more options we have in the backfield, the better. :thumbsup:

delhess
03-03-2008, 04:42 PM
as a true steeler fan, i am always excited to see a new running back. maybe he will be the next one! could be a good move, we saw how weak we can be w/ willie hurt, and i don't think we have to break the bank.

delhess
03-03-2008, 04:44 PM
as far as kreider goes, i would be surprised if they keep him. i'm not a big russel fan either.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-03-2008, 04:46 PM
now there's not need to draft a running back...time to address the line on both sides of the ball, and also grab another wide receiver. this is a good signing.

aclark99
03-03-2008, 04:59 PM
I would love to see Kreider back. He is 10X the blocker and player Carey Davis is. Davis can't even hold Kreider's jock. When Kreider played he opened up holes for Willie. You can't say the same for Davis. Davis should be cut to free up some salary space. Davis, Wilson, Reid, Carter, Davenport, Mahan & Dekker can all be cut to free up some salary space. Force Ward, A. Smith, & M. Smith to restructure their deals to free up even more space. By doing this, we can sign E. Wilson and B. Johnson(WR) to deals and then wait for the draft. Pick our OL B. Alberts, Rachal and draft a Safety to groom.

verks36
03-03-2008, 05:18 PM
we signed a free agent! we signed a free agent! :chicken::banana::cheer::tt02:

thats what i am feeling right now

just throwing that out there

DUCE ALL OVER AGAIN?:banging:

stillers4me
03-03-2008, 05:28 PM
While I don't know anything about this guy other that what I'm reading, I have to trust Tomlin on this one. The guy was a Viking for the last four years, so Tomlin knows what he's made of.

Mistah_Q
03-03-2008, 05:50 PM
A 3 year, $4.95 million deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3274613

83-Steelers-43
03-03-2008, 05:54 PM

Talk about jumping the gun. The kid might as well pack up his bags and head back to Minnesota. To hell with giving him a chance to prove himself in TC. :coffee:

Edman
03-03-2008, 06:02 PM
thats what i am feeling right now

just throwing that out there

How can you assume Moore will be another Duce? He hasn't been injured yet.

83-Steelers-43
03-03-2008, 06:06 PM
The Rooney's don't sign people during FA and it's....

"We never sign anybody, look what all of these other teams are doing.".

The Rooney's do sign somebody and the kid is already being compared to past busts.

Go figure...:coffee:

verks36
03-03-2008, 06:50 PM
The Rooney's don't sign people during FA and it's....

"We never sign anybody, look what all of these other teams are doing.".

The Rooney's do sign somebody and the kid is already being compared to past busts.

Go figure...:coffee:

I was just saying doesnt this sound alot like the duce signing? I would like him to be good just as much as you guys but I just dont think this guy is going to do big things. He has been plagued with injuries for all his career. He didnt do much last year playing behnd Adrian and Chester taylor

Mistah_Q
03-03-2008, 06:59 PM
I was just saying doesnt this sound alot like the duce signing? What are you talking about?

He has been plagued with injuries for all his career. What are you talking about?

He didnt do much last year playing behnd Adrian and Chester taylorWhat are you talking about?

83-Steelers-43
03-03-2008, 06:59 PM
I was just saying doesnt this sound alot like the duce signing? I would like him to be good just as much as you guys but I just dont think this guy is going to do big things. He has been plagued with injuries for all his career. He didnt do much last year playing behnd Adrian and Chester taylor

The guy is not coming in and taking over for Willie Parker. It's not like he's going to be in there on every down.

From what I understand, he's a solid blocker, has great hands, runs great routes and going by his local press conference, he has a head on his shoulders with a great attitude. Sounds positive to me. Also, it's sort of hard to prove yourself when your behind players like Taylor and Peterson. The guy had limited snaps in Minnesota last season.

Overall though, it's tough for me to compare him with anybody because I haven't followed the life and career of Mewelde Moore. That's why I'm giving the guy a chance before I start screaming bust.

VTsteel
03-03-2008, 07:05 PM
I LOVE this signing. Great work. While Moore is not spectacular, he is solid and servicable. This is an upgrade!

lilyoder6
03-03-2008, 07:47 PM
i think it would be hard to get playing time as well when ap came in and had a phenomnal season... moore will be a good pickup b/c he can be use in many situations.. kr,pr 3rd down back and we could put him as rb in passing situations... i think this is a good pick up..

Godfather
03-03-2008, 08:24 PM
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/headshot/M/O/O/MOO557284.jpg

Mewelde Moore | #30 | RB

Height: 5-11 Weight: 209 Age: 25
Born: 7/24/1982 Hammond , LA
College: Tulane

We know for sure he's a smart guy.

Roll Wave!!!!!

LVSteelersfan
03-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Hey - I'm cool with this signing. The more options we have in the backfield, the better. :thumbsup:

I'm cool with it too. Tomlin is familiar with him since he is an ex-Viking so he should know if he can fit into his system. I like the move. :cheers::chicken::tt02::banana:

LVSteelersfan
03-03-2008, 08:27 PM
as far as kreider goes, i would be surprised if they keep him. i'm not a big russel fan either.

Maybe I am wrong but I could have sworn I saw last week that Kreider was released.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-03-2008, 08:33 PM
kreider is a FA...he's not coming back...arians is making more use of the tight-ends, so there's not really a place for kreider. i'm not saying i'm in 100% agreement with this, but the offense will look really good once spaeth understands it more.

moore gives this team something they lacked: a third-down back who can CATCH it coming out of the backfield - a VERY important ingredient to an offense.

yinzer-inseattle
03-03-2008, 08:39 PM

Agree 83-- They're damed if they do and damed if they don't

The FO gets no benefit of the doubt with us fans. Just for sh1ts & grins, we should send some of the posts over to Colbert & Tomlin.

I'm sure they'd appreciate some comic relief.

Preacher
03-03-2008, 08:58 PM

The FO gets no benefit of the doubt with us fans. Just for sh1ts & grins, we should send some of the posts over to Colbert & Tomlin.

OK...

Let's be honest about this... Rossum is cut, and he is signed... why? TO BE A RETURNER.

He MAY produce as a RB. MAY. But that is NOT why we brought him in. He is filling the slot rossum opened up.

Hey.. Yinzer in Seattle.....

How are my Mariners looking????????

83-Steelers-43
03-03-2008, 09:03 PM

I'm not stating or expecting this kid to come in and turn into Franco. I'm just saying at least give the kid a chance before completely bashing the guy or writing him off.

Preacher
03-03-2008, 09:04 PM
I'm not stating or expecting this kid to come in and turn into Sanders or Franco. I'm just saying at least give the kid a chance before completely bashing the guy and writing him off.

83--

Of course he is a bust. His name isn't Jerome Bettis II

:chuckle:

jasonhightower
03-03-2008, 09:08 PM
I am not too excited about the signing, although the guy still is young and cheap, so I am willing to give it a fair shot. I am a little intrigued by Warrick Dunn's availability though...

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-03-2008, 09:08 PM
i'll be happy if he resembles anything like erric pegram.

Rhee Rhee
03-03-2008, 09:35 PM

which means we should cut him because we have no need...

Preacher
03-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Don't cut him yet...

Let him come into camp. Let's see what he can do if he is focused on JUST BEING A RECEIVER.

If he doesn't perform... goodbye. If he does... well, there are two other receivers that we can get rid of.

Preacher
03-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Anybody think there is some legal trouble coming for Dookie in this Domestic Violence thing and Moore is a back up plan?

Good question.

However, looking at the releasing of Rossum, I would have to say that Kick returning is the primary reason. however, it sure may be in the back of their minds that he could possibly back up DumptTruck Dookie.

Welcome To Smashmouth
03-03-2008, 11:38 PM
I honestly like this pickup....

I didn't understand the releasing of Rossum at first, but if Moore pans out as a return man, and then throws some big plays in the pot, we should be looking pretty nice at the back position

Sharkissle29
03-04-2008, 01:54 AM
which means we should cut him because we have no need...

Im just commenting on your signature rhee rhee....it looks awesome, that receiving corp would have been nasty, its too bad we couldnt keep them all

fansince'76
03-04-2008, 02:16 AM
I am not too excited about the signing, although the guy still is young and cheap, so I am willing to give it a fair shot. I am a little intrigued by Warrick Dunn's availability though...

Why? He's 33, and would be a LOT more expensive than Moore, who's only 25.

Preacher
03-04-2008, 02:50 AM
Seems to me I pay a lot of attention to football, because of fantasy leagues adn I've never heard of anyone refer to Moore as a KRer. I really don't even know if he i cut out for it. He isn't a fast guy, I just don't know.

He's not. He is a punt returner. He has ok numbers... but I am sure at a much less price than Rossum.

And he is young and therefore has some years to continue growing.

Galax Steeler
03-04-2008, 03:18 AM
Lets give him a chance I could see reid on his way out maybe davenport to we are deep at running back.

Steel Pit
03-04-2008, 04:04 AM
I don't really know anything about Moore but nonetheless, I'm happy with the signing. :thumbsup: At seasons end Coach Tomlin stated that the Steelers needed to add some "youth" to the team. :fro:

Well here you go, this guy is fairly young. I expect, literally and figuratively, that Dookie :poop: will be flushed.

delhess
03-04-2008, 04:24 AM
Maybe I am wrong but I could have sworn I saw last week that Kreider was released.

he doesn't have a deal. so i guess to keep him, they would have to work something out. he's coming off an acl, hardly played last year, you could say he's gone i guess.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-04-2008, 07:16 AM
he doesn't have a deal. so i guess to keep him, they would have to work something out. he's coming off an acl, hardly played last year, you could say he's gone i guess.

Still on the active roster....as of now.

Michael Keller
03-04-2008, 08:08 AM
Very true. At the same time, Rome wasn't built in a day. You have to start somewhere.

Agreed:

Nor will the Steelers be built in one year. I look at the 2008 season as a "pre-season" to 2009 when I believe they will be back among the elite. Fix the trenches now and 2009 continue to add young quality players through 2009's draft perhaps a free agent in 2009 . With the schedule we have next year and the obviousl holes in the offensive line i am not looking for a Super Bowl run but I am looking for a hard nosed team with young guys developing . This draft is going to tell me about the intelligence of the Tomlin / Colbert /Scouts team.

I am Ok with an off year so to speak and back strong in 2009.

TackleMeBen
03-04-2008, 08:15 AM
if he can hold on to the ball, then i am all for the signing. besides our oline, our special teams killed us.

Dino 6 Rings
03-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Agreed:

Nor will the Steelers be built in one year. I look at the 2008 season as a "pre-season" to 2009 when I believe they will be back among the elite. Fix the trenches now and 2009 continue to add young quality players through 2009's draft perhaps a free agent in 2009 . With the schedule we have next year and the obviousl holes in the offensive line i am not looking for a Super Bowl run but I am looking for a hard nosed team with young guys developing . This draft is going to tell me about the intelligence of the Tomlin / Colbert /Scouts team.

I am Ok with an off year so to speak and back strong in 2009.

I'm looking for a Super Bowl run every year. Reality or not.

I will look at the glass half full, all the time. Faneca is gone, so a major locker room disruption of a disgruntled veteran is also gone. The line will fix itself, with the draft and with some other guys stepping up and taking over the lead. If Mahan can't play center, he can play gaurd. The running back situation is now fixed over what we had last year, with Moore coming in as a 3rd down guy and a kick returner. Our STs will be fixed as well as younger talent and veterans will step up and take it seriously. Ben will be Ben and will have another great year, as will Ward and Holmes. I worry about the 3rd receiver, if Wilson doesn't get cut and steps up to play hard, we may be ok, and if Washington can hold onto the damn ball, we'll be ok. Our TEs are solid, Our LBs are Solid, or DL needs a little more depth but we'll be fine next season if we stay healthy. Our secondary is good enough to win with, as long as Troy P stays healthy.

Its all there, this is still a great team, with great coaches and a huge amount of talent. Time to step up and make a run at it. No fear, get it done. 11 wins and we are in the playoffs. I see 11 wins on our schedule next season. No Problem. Just play Steelers football and we'll be right in the fight.

LVSteelersfan
03-04-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm looking for a Super Bowl run every year. Reality or not.

I will look at the glass half full, all the time. Faneca is gone, so a major locker room disruption of a disgruntled veteran is also gone. The line will fix itself, with the draft and with some other guys stepping up and taking over the lead. If Mahan can't play center, he can play gaurd. The running back situation is now fixed over what we had last year, with Moore coming in as a 3rd down guy and a kick returner. Our STs will be fixed as well as younger talent and veterans will step up and take it seriously. Ben will be Ben and will have another great year, as will Ward and Holmes. I worry about the 3rd receiver, if Wilson doesn't get cut and steps up to play hard, we may be ok, and if Washington can hold onto the damn ball, we'll be ok. Our TEs are solid, Our LBs are Solid, or DL needs a little more depth but we'll be fine next season if we stay healthy. Our secondary is good enough to win with, as long as Troy P stays healthy.

Its all there, this is still a great team, with great coaches and a huge amount of talent. Time to step up and make a run at it. No fear, get it done. 11 wins and we are in the playoffs. I see 11 wins on our schedule next season. No Problem. Just play Steelers football and we'll be right in the fight.

The solution is to use the Tight End more as the third receiver. Heath Miller is a beast that cannot be stopped across the middle. Use the third WR to clear out the part of the field where Miller is headed and he doesn't have to catch much of anything if Miller is catching more passes. I think we will have a decent team again next year as long as the O-line can gel. STs needs to be fixed as well. It may not be a "GREAT" team but I think we will be in it for the division title again.

Dino 6 Rings
03-04-2008, 12:45 PM
I think we need more than TE as the 3rd guy, especially if we are running 3 and 4 wide sets. People got pretty hip to Miller during the last couple seasons, he's great for 3 or 4 balls a game, but we need to spread it out even more. Need ward to be thrown to 6-8 times, Holmes 6, 3rd guy 4 or 5, TE 3 or 4, maybe a back 2 times.

24 - 27 passes is a safe range for Ben to work with. Just need guys that catch the ball 99% of the time its thrown there way, unlike Wilson and Washington, we need clutch grabs by all our guys.

Hapa
03-04-2008, 01:35 PM
He has a 5.6 rushing avg.
Sounds pretty nice to me- I know he hasn't done much rushing but the average for an entire career is good.

Rhee Rhee
03-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Sounds pretty nice to me- I know he hasn't done much rushing but the average for an entire career is good.

he reminds me of a poor man's brian westbrook...

a very,very poor man that is...

lilyoder6
03-04-2008, 02:02 PM
thats would be a good thing as he could be a good check down guy and one quickly to get the yrdage

Elvis
03-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Has anyone seen the video highlights on NFL.com? they have some video highlights of him catching screen passes and running those shotgun draws like the Steelers used to do constantly with Haynes..
:helmet:

Big D
03-04-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm a closet viking fan on the back side. Moore is the real deal. I think he is going to give us a great one two punch with fast willie

Rhee Rhee
03-04-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm a closet viking fan on the back side. Moore is the real deal. I think he is going to give us a great one two punch with fast willie

im looking for something in the ex falcons, jerious norwood and warrick dunn and tj duckett range...

it could look something of that nature...

43Hitman
03-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Love the signing. Two positions in one is always a good deal. I sure hope the front office takes care of Ben and solidifies the o-line.

Preacher
03-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Love the signing. Two positions in one is always a good deal. I sure hope the front office takes care of Ben and solidifies the o-line.

I am coming more and more to believing we need a O line in the first and third and a WR in the second.

DL and some long shots at small school players in the second day.

43Hitman
03-04-2008, 06:37 PM
I am coming more and more to believing we need a O line in the first and third and a WR in the second.

DL and some long shots at small school players in the second day.

IMHO, I wouldn't mind seeing us pick O-line in the first two rounds then maybe a WR. Our needs on the line are stronger at this point. Gotta keep the 100million dollar man standing tall. Of course that can change with the ebb and flow of the draft(cowherism).:smile:

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-04-2008, 09:58 PM
we still need a pass rush...

my guess is that timmons we'll be heading to the inside - if haggans bolts, we need more depth on the outside. that, and an offensive lineman (or two) and another WR, as well as some help at safety, depending on the FA situation and I think we're set.

Davison_K
03-04-2008, 10:34 PM
I sense the sarcasim, but not really. I think we could have found a good return guy in the draft on the second day. But don't think he will beat out Bloom.

I don't know. My dad is a huge Eagles fan and I went to Eagles training camp with him and I saw Bloom play. I thought he was pretty good but the Eagles coaching staff obviously didn't think he was worth it. He is fast as hell, but I don't know if he is actually good enough to be our return guy.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Forget about the return game for a minute...One poster mentioned Keven Faulk in this thread...Thats such a great point...Faulk has been one of Brady's bail out guys for years.....I think Moore could do the same for Ben out of the backfield....Plus he call also pickup the blitz....Which we all know Ben ran for his life after every snap this year...So if he fills that need then Moore would have proven his worth to this team...Plus he can spell the other RBs from time to time....

Now to the return game.....He has experience doing that....Yea he might not be an elite return man but he can do it.....The Steelers have showed the last few years since Randle El left that they don't really have anyone on the roster that can do it.....I think Holmes could and yes I know he had those fumbles his rookie year but I still think he would be a top notch return man...But I want Holmes just to be a WR....So even with Moore the Steelers still should look to add a return man in the draft or an undrafted rookie......I have no more faith in Willie Reid....he was elite at Florida State at returning kicks but its clear he can't hack it at the NFL level.....

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-05-2008, 09:36 AM

5.6 was his 2007 average...4.9 is the career average. What worries me is that he has managed 1 TD in 4 years.
I thought Cedric Wilson filled our requirement for Free Agents who cant score?:hunch:

Edman
03-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Moore is simply a role player, not a superstar.The Steelers paid him as such.

The Steelers didn't break the bank to sign this middling guy, unlike the other idiot franchises out there.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Moore is simply a role player, not a superstar.The Steelers paid him as such.

The Steelers didn't break the bank to sign this middling guy, unlike the other idiot franchises out there.

I personally dont like the move. He doesnt 100% fill any of our needs. He is not a typical Steeler third down back (though he has good hands)....He's not a prototype short yardage back...and he's not got the speed to be a "scary" return man.

We seem to keep comparing him to what we dont have ....instead of looking for the person we truly need.

I would much rather come on this board and hear us all saying...."He is EXACTLY what we need".....instead of hearing...."Well...he is better than what we have."

Dont mistake what I'm saying...We have a great team. But we are a great team with some obvious needs...and I'm not sure that Moore meets those needs.

MasterOfPuppets
03-05-2008, 10:59 AM
super awesome pickup by the steelers !!!:tt02: he is EXACTLY what we need !!! ........................................ :whistle:

stlrtruck
03-05-2008, 11:30 AM
I personally dont like the move. He doesnt 100% fill any of our needs. He is not a typical Steeler third down back (though he has good hands)....He's not a prototype short yardage back...and he's not got the speed to be a "scary" return man.

We seem to keep comparing him to what we dont have ....instead of looking for the person we truly need.

I would much rather come on this board and hear us all saying...."He is EXACTLY what we need".....instead of hearing...."Well...he is better than what we have."

Dont mistake what I'm saying...We have a great team. But we are a great team with some obvious needs...and I'm not sure that Moore meets those needs.

I don't know he kind of reminds me of an ole #33 - Merle Hoge

Dizzle43
03-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Have we actually signed him yet?

Dino 6 Rings
03-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Unless the Rams brainfart and give us Steven Jackson for a 3rd round pick in the 2012 draft, I don't think we are going to get a "absolutely need" type of back for our roster. We already have a starter, and now have a viable pool of 2nd string and 3rd down backs to work with. This helps to push Russel and Davis to see if they even make the squad this year and pretty much lets Najeh know, Play Harder all the time or have fun finding a new team.

The prices for Olinemen are off the wall right now, there is no way we were going to address and Oline need in the FA Market this season. Its ridiculous the way guys are getting paid. Faneca is now the highest paid guard, maybe linemen, in the league. Eventually, the market will come down a little and maybe we can sign a guy for depth, but otherwise, or Needs will be truly adressed in the Draft.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-05-2008, 12:46 PM
i would be very happy with parker, davenport, russell, and moore as our 4 HB's on the roster - those 4 are very solid and offer a range of options. how anyone could be upset by having this kind of solid depth is beyond me.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Unless the Rams brainfart and give us Steven Jackson for a 3rd round pick in the 2012 draft, I don't think we are going to get a "absolutely need" type of back for our roster. We already have a starter, and now have a viable pool of 2nd string and 3rd down backs to work with. This helps to push Russel and Davis to see if they even make the squad this year and pretty much lets Najeh know, Play Harder all the time or have fun finding a new team.

The prices for Olinemen are off the wall right now, there is no way we were going to address and Oline need in the FA Market this season. Its ridiculous the way guys are getting paid. Faneca is now the highest paid guard, maybe linemen, in the league. Eventually, the market will come down a little and maybe we can sign a guy for depth, but otherwise, or Needs will be truly adressed in the Draft.

My point wasnt that somone would drop Stephen Jackson into our laps (since we are talking about a third down back, that comparison seems rather silly) ...but that there are players out there that fit our system better than Moore...and for that matter..Davenport.

As for Russel...any one who "Knows" he adds depth... beyond fitting into a jersey...needs to tell me where they are watching him play. I "Hope" he becomes a solid player...but he played in 3 games with limited carries...and is still an unknown.

tony hipchest
03-05-2008, 01:45 PM
As for Russel...any one who "Knows" he adds depth... beyond fitting into a jersey...needs to tell me where they are watching him play. I "Hope" he becomes a solid player...but he played in 3 games with limited carries...and is still an unknown.but so is john kuhn, and look how great he was. :chuckle:

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-05-2008, 01:51 PM
but so is john kuhn, and look how great he was. :chuckle:

AW...John Kuhn....sole cause of two missed superbowls.

MasterOfPuppets
03-05-2008, 01:58 PM
but so is john kuhn, and look how great he was. :chuckle:ahhhh....the good ole days....:crying03:

The Duke
03-05-2008, 04:29 PM
but so is john kuhn, and look how great he was. :chuckle:

hmm.....without favre,now kuhn is the greatest legend on the packers :helmet:

favre was just stealing his thunder

lilyoder6
03-05-2008, 05:01 PM
well davis is the fb on the team.. so unless we get another fb he'll make the team

Galax Steeler
03-06-2008, 03:56 AM
I would like to keep russel around to see if he is going to develope into a good back.

Dino 6 Rings
03-06-2008, 11:50 AM
My point wasnt that somone would drop Stephen Jackson into our laps (since we are talking about a third down back, that comparison seems rather silly) ...but that there are players out there that fit our system better than Moore...and for that matter..Davenport.

As for Russel...any one who "Knows" he adds depth... beyond fitting into a jersey...needs to tell me where they are watching him play. I "Hope" he becomes a solid player...but he played in 3 games with limited carries...and is still an unknown.

I think Moore fits into the "newer" system. 3 and 4 wide, he catches well out of the backfield and can pick up blocks. Plus Tomlin is familiar with the guy from his year at Minnesota. He must have seen something he liked. The kid will probably be happy to be on a team that uses him, unlike Minnesota where he was pushed back off the roster with the Draft of Peterson. Now if we were to draft an RB in the first round, yeah, he'd be frustated again, but that won't happen. We'll see how it works out but of all the FA backs out there, not looking for Starter money, this could a great pick up for us, could be a bust, but heck, that's what FA is all about.

paw-n-maul-u
03-06-2008, 12:10 PM
I think Moore fits into the "newer" system. 3 and 4 wide, he catches well out of the backfield and can pick up blocks. Plus Tomlin is familiar with the guy from his year at Minnesota. He must have seen something he liked. The kid will probably be happy to be on a team that uses him, unlike Minnesota where he was pushed back off the roster with the Draft of Peterson. Now if we were to draft an RB in the first round, yeah, he'd be frustated again, but that won't happen. We'll see how it works out but of all the FA backs out there, not looking for Starter money, this could a great pick up for us, could be a bust, but heck, that's what FA is all about.

I agree that Moore is a good pick up. I don't even know where anyone is getting this nonsense about "our system". That is so ambiguous because not a single person in here could tell us what our offense was last year.

I can tell you this, he can return kicks and punts.

He has always averaged more yards than Davenport.

He is faster than Davenport.

At the very least he's an upgrade to our third down back, Davenport.

Davenport isn't a Tomlin guy, Moore is. And I think we know whose team this is, just ask Chucky Okobi. So far, it hasnt panned out well for players that have competition brought in to challenge them, esp if it's a guy Mikey T was familiar with/coached.

Smidrow
03-07-2008, 08:12 PM
The kid should add much needed speed and versatility to theSteelers running back position group. It will also take alot of pressure off of Parker who sometimes presses to make the big play. Good pickup for the Steelers!!!