PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger deal is officially* done

83-Steelers-43
03-03-2008, 08:35 AM
No "close to" or false reports from some website with the same credibility as some of the yahoo's at ESPN....

Steelers, Roethlisberger reach deal
By The Tribune-Review
Monday, March 3, 2008

The Steelers and Ben Roethlisberger have reached an agreement on a six-year contract extension worth $102 million, including over $36 million guaranteed.

Roethlisberger is now tied to the Steelers for the next eight seasons.

A press conference to announce the deal will be held this afternoon.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_555290.html

PalmerSteel
03-03-2008, 08:45 AM
this will probably get locked since it has already been posted in "deal almost done" but its nice to have its own title where it says it is official so i hope not.....

we had to break the bank on him but this was the one guy we knew we had to do it with.

83-Steelers-43
03-03-2008, 08:48 AM
but its nice to have its own title where it says it is official so i hope not......

That's what I am figuring. Sifting through the "He's close", "It's almost done", "So and so is supposedly reporting" posts/threads is not exactly my idea of a fun time. :hunch:

83-Steelers-43
03-03-2008, 08:56 AM
we had to break the bank on him but this was the one guy we knew we had to do it with.

That is a HUGE contract. Just another reason why Faneca is going to be wearing a Jets jersey this upcoming season and rightfully so.

But wow.

fansince'76
03-03-2008, 08:57 AM
this will probably get locked since it has already been posted in "deal almost done" but its nice to have its own title where it says it is official so i hope not.....

Nope, not closing it. Besides, this news is significant enough to have posts about it in two different threads. :thumbsup:

fansince'76
03-03-2008, 09:01 AM

This contract will seem like a bargain in 3-4 years.

Dino 6 Rings
03-03-2008, 09:03 AM
WOW

I hope he keeps himself grounded and doesn't become a "millionaire" QB with too big a head.

Keep yourself in the film room Ben, earn your money, you still owe ME 3 rings.

lilyoder6
03-03-2008, 09:05 AM
i am glad that we got this deal done with him and now we don't have to wry about it... we will juts have more money in the future to spend else where

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Great.....We have our franchise quarterback ... and for the first time in how many years our offensive line is in question?

CONGRATS BIG BEN:tt02:

fansince'76
03-03-2008, 09:11 AM
ESPN is reporting that it is an EIGHT year deal, not a six year deal????

The extension is for 6 years, and he still has 2 years remaining on his current deal, so we have him locked up for the next 8 years.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-03-2008, 09:13 AM
The extension is for 6 years, and he still has 2 years remaining on his current deal, so we have him locked up for the next 8 years.

Yes, I failed to do the math....Thank you :dang:

Jeremy
03-03-2008, 09:14 AM

Based on what? Are you guessing that the salary cap will be eliminated? Because unless that's what you're thinking, this deal will never look like a bargain.

fansince'76
03-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Based on what? Are you guessing that the salary cap will be eliminated? Because unless that's what you're thinking, this deal will never look like a bargain.

Based on inflation. Or do you deny that exists?

TackleMeBen
03-03-2008, 09:15 AM
WOW

I hope he keeps himself grounded and doesn't become a "millionaire" QB with too big a head.

now that is the post of the day so far.maybe his 06 ordeal will not let him get too big a head.

Jeremy
03-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Based on inflation. Or do you deny that exists?

:toofunny:

It just gets funnier and funnier with you.

fansince'76
03-03-2008, 09:17 AM
:toofunny:

It just gets funnier and funnier with you.

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

GBMelBlount
03-03-2008, 09:19 AM
WOW

Personally I think his head is a little too big already but I still think he is a great QB. With the investment we now have in him, I certainly hope we beef up the protection fast. I realize you can injure yourself doing just about anything, but all other things being equal, he's less like to get injured if he's sacked 15 times a season vs. 45 IMO.

Edman
03-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Actually '76 is right. With the ever-increasing salary cap and the possibilities of certain high-paid Steeler vets leaving after 2008 and beyond, this deal will look like a bargain down the road.

But of course, Big Headed Ben is baggage and we should'nt have signed him.:coffee:

tony hipchest
03-03-2008, 09:24 AM
just a hunnerd mil? the rooneys are cheap. :rolleyes:

TackleMeBen
03-03-2008, 09:25 AM
where is tony with a cheese picture when you need it???????:flap:

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-03-2008, 09:26 AM
You're not allowed to say anything bad about him or HTG will get mad at you and '76 will take cheap shots at you.

Learn the rules of the board!

Time for the little blue and pink pill....:chillpill

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Roethlisberger gets more than $36 million in guarantees in new deal
By Michael Smith
ESPN.com

The Pittsburgh Steelers and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger have agreed to a new eight-year, $102 million contract, according to sources.

The contract, which includes more than $36 million in guarantees and is easily the largest in team history, places Big Ben among the game's highest-paid players. In comparison, Peyton Manning received a $34.5 million signing bonus in his big deal and Michael Vick received $37 million in guarantees from the Falcons in his mega deal. Both Manning's and Vick's deals were signed in 2004.

Roethlisberger now joins Manning, Brett Favre, Carson Palmer, Donovan McNabb and the suspended Vick in the $100 million quarterback club.

Roethlisberger's agents, Ryan and Bruce Tollner of REP 1 Sports, traveled to Pittsburgh and finalized the deal with the Steelers late Sunday night. The team is expected to announce the move Monday in a press conference.

Roethlisberger, who turned 26 on Sunday, is coming off a Pro Bowl season in which he completed more than 65 percent of his passes with a tean-record 32 touchdowns and an efficiency rating of 104.1, leading the Steelers to an AFC North title and the playoffs for the third time in his four seasons.

Roethlisberger, who two years ago became the youngest quarterback ever to win a Super Bowl, grew as a team leader last season and bounced back from a disappointing 2006 where his offseason was marred by a serious motorcycle accident.

In addition to a pay raise, the Steelers are also in the process of adding another weapon to Roethlisberger's arsenal. Pittsburgh hosted former Vikings running back Mewelde Moore on Sunday and his signing appears imminent.

Moore will provide Pittsburgh's offense with the legitimate receiving threat out of the backfield it had lacked. He's also likely to serve as the team's primary kickoff and punt returner.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3274467

The_WARDen
a successful FA period! Locking up the Franchise QB is always a good thing.

on to the draft and building that wall in front of him!

:tt02::tt02:

TackleMeBen
can we say major DIVA now!!!!

GBMelBlount
03-03-2008, 09:31 AM
You're not allowed to say anything bad about him or HTG will get mad at you and '76 will take cheap shots at you.

Learn the rules of the board!

I've gotten into it with both of them and had plenty of deserved "warnings." I just get over it and get on with SF, AND I don't hold grudges.

83-Steelers-43
03-03-2008, 09:32 AM
a successful FA period! Locking up the Franchise QB is always a good thing.

on to the draft and building that wall in front of him!

:tt02::tt02:

Amen to that. Worry about your own first, plug a few holes with a couple mid-level FA's and do well in the draft.

:cheers:

Stlr4ever
03-03-2008, 09:34 AM
WOW

-------------------------------
I wouldn't worry about him being 'grounded'. Unlike Michael Vick, he has got good upbringing (family background). I have heard that he is a christian. Lets hope he takes his religion seriously (unlike Bill Clinton).

I am not sure he deserves $103M contract. I was thinking close to $80M+incentives. That means, the Steelers will have tough time acquiring quality players for other key positions.

Jeremy
03-03-2008, 09:44 AM
-------------------------------
I wouldn't worry about him being 'grounded'. Unlike Michael Vick, he has got good upbringing (family background). I have heard that he is a christian. Lets hope he takes his religion seriously (unlike Bill Clinton).

I am not sure he deserves $103M contract. I was thinking close to $80M+incentives. That means, the Steelers will have tough time acquiring quality players for other key positions.

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

klick81
03-03-2008, 09:55 AM
That's a fat ass contract! Good job Ben. Now go out there and earn it :)

Michael Keller
03-03-2008, 09:57 AM
There is so much inconsistency in fan's opinions. What happened to the complaint that "The Rooney's are cheap ," Yet this deal is alreay being criticized in so many ways.

If the government and major corporations had a track record of fiscal mangement and proper business or political culture as the PITTSBURGH STEELERS do this country would be in much better shape both ecnomically and politically.

I trust this was the right deal for the right player and the Steelers will remain who they are a perennial power displayed with class.

In this crazy world of over paid athletes in all sports I for one am very happy for Ben, , the Steelers as a team. If??? any body deserves it you do. I am sure you will live up to it.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by fansince'76

Based on this contract putting him in the same league as players like...Manning, Favre, Palmer, McNabb and Vick. Whom he outplayed this last year?

Since the market dictates the salaries..I'm not sure how you think we could have offered less.

TackleMeBen
03-03-2008, 10:01 AM
If the government and major corporations had a track record of fiscal mangement and proper business or political culture as the PITTSBURGH STEELERS do this country would be in much better shape both ecnomically and politically.

:iagree:

CanadianSteel
03-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Glad to see the deal done, and yes 4 years from it will be a bargain for a QB with 3 Superbolw rings...... hoping anyhow..... OK I would take one even just one more...

Hope he continues his improvements on the field and also off as a leader.... Go Ben take us to the promised land....

Also solace knowing I can wear my #7 jersey for the next 8 years anyhow.....

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-03-2008, 10:10 AM
What the hell does that have to do with anything?

Christian values: 1) Human life is the first gift of God 2) Truth is Sacred 3) Our Liberty is a gift from God 4) Hate Evil. 5) Love your neighbor 6) Sacrificial giving 7) Self-discipline, self-respect, respect for elders and for others

Granted ..some call themselves Christian who dont meet this criteria...and some have these characteristics who are not christian...HOWEVER, since we are specifically talking about Ben making these profession of faith... I dont think you have the right to say that these values are not relevent ....they have "a hell of alot to do with anything"...when judging character.

tony hipchest
03-03-2008, 10:10 AM
"i hope ben gives a hometown discount"

oh wait.... too late for that. (i hope this is a lesson that the rooneys dont intentionally try to low ball every player they sign. they understand fair market value. just as ward, polamalu, aaron smith, hampton, and now ben.

can we finally put this "steelers are cheap" shit to rest?

amen?

memphissteelergirl
03-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Yep, and Jeremy will take unprovoked shots at you when you disagree with his exalted opinion. About covers it. :yawn:

LOL.....niiiice :wink02:

Glad to see the deal done...now let's get him a good supporting cast (aka....O-line).

:tt02:

83-Steelers-43
03-03-2008, 10:25 AM

Just until the same time next year. Then it will business as usual with some......

"Look at who the Browns signed!!! We are doomed!!!"

"Look at who the Rooney's passed on in FA!!! Damn are they cheap!!!"

"(Insert player name) is a FA, if the Rooney's don't sign him, it's proof they are cheap!!!"

"The Rooney's always let the their own walk. What are they thinking?!?!?!"

:coffee:

Jeremy
03-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Christian values: 1) Human life is the first gift of God 2) Truth is Sacred 3) Our Liberty is a gift from God 4) Hate Evil. 5) Love your neighbor 6) Sacrificial giving 7) Self-discipline, self-respect, respect for elders and for others

Granted ..some call themselves Christian who dont meet this criteria...and some have these characteristics who are not christian...HOWEVER, since we are specifically talking about Ben making these profession of faith... I dont think you have the right to say that these values are not relevent ....they have "a hell of alot to do with anything"...when judging character.

Wow...now that's really putting words in to someone's mouth.

Dizzle43
03-03-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm happy we could get Ben locked up in a long-term contract. In today's game it is absolutely imperative to have a good QB and we have one of the best!

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-03-2008, 10:45 AM
"i hope ben gives a hometown discount"

I hear that he gets a free Blizzard with the order of two Mudslide Sundaes at the Findley DQ.

But Tony....we could have gotten Moss and Culpepper at that price!!!:wink02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Wow...now that's really putting words in to someone's mouth.

No...thats trying to stop someone from being argumentative...and try to get him back to talking about football....DONT make me post an "I'm leaving" thread!!!!...I'll do it mister!!!

TackleMeBen
03-03-2008, 10:47 AM
HAHAHAHAHA Tom Brady is not even in the 100 million dollar qb club. The Pats hosed him.

Jeremy
03-03-2008, 10:56 AM
No...thats trying to stop someone from being argumentative...and try to get him back to talking about football....DONT make me post an "I'm leaving" thread!!!!...I'll do it mister!!!

This thread isn't about football. It's about the market price of a quaterback and what his deal is going to do to the rest of the football team over the life of the contract.

Everything else, including someone's religious beliefs, should be secondary to that.

Edman
03-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Just until the same time next year. Then it will business as usual with some......

"Look at who the Browns signed!!! We are doomed!!!"

"Look at who the Rooney's passed on in FA!!! Damn are they cheap!!!"

"(Insert player name) is a FA, if the Rooney's don't sign him, it's proof they are cheap!!!"

"The Rooney's always let the their own walk. What are they thinking?!?!?!"

:coffee:

Thank God the basement GM's aren't running the team and the Rooneys are.

They may call me a homer, but being one of the most winning franchises the past 30 years, 5 Super Bowl titles, and a pretty consistent contender dating back since the 1990's has more than earned the benefit of the doubt. Hell, even during the 80's, when the Steelers were up and down, they had their bright spots.

Let the Broons sell out their future for the now. They'll probably be good for a year or so, then fizzle out, just like the Bungles back in 2005.

fansince'76
03-03-2008, 10:57 AM
HAHAHAHAHA Tom Brady is not even in the 100 million dollar qb club. The Pats hosed him.

Nope, he signed the following deal 3 years ago: Brady signed a new six-year contract, worth nearly $60 million, through the 2010 season, sources say....By nearly every method of calculation employed in NFL circles, though, the deal....makes Brady one of the highest paid players in the league.

Brady's 2005 Extension (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2054072)

But there's no salary inflation in the NFL. :coffee:

83-Steelers-43
03-03-2008, 10:57 AM
They may call me a homer, but being one of the most winning franchises the past 30 years, 5 Super Bowl titles, and a pretty consistent contender dating back since the 1990's has more than earned the benefit of the doubt. Hell, even during the 80's, when the Steelers were up and down, they had their bright spots.

And once again Edman, that's all it boils down to in my book. Until they give me a reason to doubt them, I guess you and I are "Rooney Homers". :cheers:

HometownGal
03-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Cheap assed Rooneys. You would have thought they could have come up with more than a measily $102 million. :dang::dang::wink02::wink02:

A win-win all the way around. :cheers:

Edman
03-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Strictly for laughs...

Kool-aid drinking Browns fans say this will doom the Steelers for years to come. That's a good omen. They're wrong 80% of the time.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=149#s=149&f=1547&t=2130450

HometownGal
03-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Strictly for laughs...

Kool-aid drinking Browns fans say this will doom the Steelers for years to come. That's a good omen. They're wrong 80% of the time.

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

This coming from fans of a team who the Steelers have owned for the last 5 years. :toofunny::toofunny:

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-03-2008, 11:06 AM
This thread isn't about football. It's about the market price of a quaterback and what his deal is going to do to the rest of the football team over the life of the contract.

Everything else, including someone's religious beliefs, should be secondary to that.

A post about a QB's market price is most certainly about football.

A post about not haveing to worry about a QB's character is most certainly about football.

Posts that serve no purpose but to tear others down to make one feel better about ones self....not so much about football.

There are ways to make a point without degrading and making contradicting statements about other peoples post...if you dont agree...be cool about the way you approach people instead of trying to elevate yourself above someone...otherwise it WILL always bite ya on the butt.

Jeremy
03-03-2008, 11:07 AM
It's hard to see how $36 million is going to doom anyone. If he starts to suck, they're not out that much.

Jeremy
03-03-2008, 11:08 AM
A post about a QB's market price is most certainly about football.

A post about not haveing to worry about a QB's character is most certainly about football.

Posts that serve no purpose but to tear others down to make one feel better about ones self....not so much about football.

There are ways to make a point without degrading and making contradicting statements about other peoples post...if you dont agree...be cool about the way you approach people instead of trying to elevate yourself above someone...otherwise it WILL always bite ya on the butt.

I only asked what the hell him being a Christian had to do with anything. How is that tearing someone down?

stlrtruck
03-03-2008, 11:09 AM

I believe what the original "He's a christian" comment was to propose was that most QBs who receive such lucrative deals become bigger than the team, mightier than all those around them, and/or some sort of a problem child for the team. With Ben's self proclamation of being a Christian one would hope that if he is deep in walk with Chrst that he would not allow the previously mentioned problems to be one of his.

To further elaborate, if one truly has a relationship with Christ, it is a part of who they are in every aspect of their life - including football!

fansince'76
03-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Strictly for laughs...

Awesome, we got 8 more years of the flat-footed neanderthal, this weekend cannot get any better.

Yep, same "flat-footed neanderthal" that burned your non-existent secondary for 6 TDs against only one INT in two games this past season. Same "flat-footed neanderthal" you've never beaten since he's been in the league. :yawn:

HometownGal
03-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Would anyone like a slice of cheese? :cheers:

http://espn.go.com/i/editorial/2006/0518/photo/ben_roethlisberger_cheese2_275.jpg

Jeremy
03-03-2008, 11:12 AM
I believe what the original "He's a christian" comment was to propose was that most QBs who receive such lucrative deals become bigger than the team, mightier than all those around them, and/or some sort of a problem child for the team. With Ben's self proclamation of being a Christian one would hope that if he is deep in walk with Chrst that he would not allow the previously mentioned problems to be one of his.

To further elaborate, if one truly has a relationship with Christ, it is a part of who they are in every aspect of their life - including football!

Actions speak louder than words.

PalmerSteel
03-03-2008, 11:15 AM
:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

This coming from fans of a team who the Steelers have owned for the last 5 years. :toofunny::toofunny:

lol, yeah and a team that has 2 high priced QB's and inserted another lawbreaker in rogers. they are starting to follow the unimproved bengal methods. lots of ifs on the team's character starting to build. i think i will still put my chips on big ben and the steelers :tt02:

Steeldude
03-03-2008, 11:21 AM
that means he has to play like a $102,000,000 QB.

i am a strong believer in living up to your contract.

Jeremy
03-03-2008, 11:25 AM
that means he has to play like a $102,000,000 QB.

i am a strong believer in living up to your contract.

Two schools of thought on that.

1. He doean't because he earned that money based on his play to this point.

2. He only has to play like a $36 million QB beacuse that's all that's guaranteed.

Blitzburgh_Fever
03-03-2008, 11:30 AM
I only asked what the hell him being a Christian had to do with anything. How is that tearing someone down?

I'm with you buddy, but whenever I hear "XXX is a Christian" I have to remember to disassociate any negatives that come from phonies using the religion card to showcase their supposed morals. It's not Christians (or other religious followers) that give their religion a bad name, it's the people who use a label as a way to assume a moral high ground. I like what Barack Obama says, "...religious people do not have a monopoly on morality." Phonies are bad all around.

In the end, I am empathetic to your point, simply saying "soandso is a Christian, so he/she's morally superior to all that" isn't jive, but I don't think that was the intent of the post. If it had been posted "he's a Christian, so hopefully he follows those sets of beliefs", probably not a big deal. Religion is a touchy subject.

But back to football!

WOOHOO TO SIGNING OUR QUARTERBACK!!! Funny how some on here will compare him to Manning and Brady, then say the Rooneys aren't cheap, and then freak out when we sign him like a Manning or other elite QB. Go Ben!
:tt02::tt02::tt02:

Blitzburgh_Fever
03-03-2008, 11:32 AM

http://espn.go.com/i/editorial/2006/0518/photo/ben_roethlisberger_cheese2_275.jpg

That's an awesome picture :sofunny:

Browns fans. What a stain! :toofunny:

Dino 6 Rings
03-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Mark Malone
Todd Blackledge
Bubby Brister
Neil O'Donnell
Kordell Stewart
Tommy Maddox

Ben Roethlisberger...Worth more than all those other guys Combined.

randy06
03-03-2008, 11:33 AM
i agree^^^:helmet:

fansince'76
03-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Mark Malone
Todd Blackledge
Bubby Brister
Neil O'Donnell
Kordell Stewart
Tommy Maddox

Ben Roethlisberger...Worth more than all those other guys Combined.

You forgot Kent Graham and Cliff Stoudt.

Dino 6 Rings
03-03-2008, 11:41 AM

who are both worthly of being forgotten :thumbsup:

I'd like to see the contracts for all those guys and see if it even comes close to what Ben is going to make. He's already done what none of them ever dreamed of (well except Neil but since he threw that game away, that's his own fault)

Jeremy
03-03-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm with you buddy, but whenever I hear "XXX is a Christian" I have to remember to disassociate any negatives that come from phonies using the religion card to showcase their supposed morals. It's not Christians (or other religious followers) that give their religion a bad name, it's the people who use a label as a way to assume a moral high ground. I like what Barack Obama says, "...religious people do not have a monopoly on morality." Phonies are bad all around.

In the end, I am empathetic to your point, simply saying "soandso is a Christian, so he/she's morally superior to all that" isn't jive, but I don't think that was the intent of the post. If it had been posted "he's a Christian, so hopefully he follows those sets of beliefs", probably not a big deal. Religion is a touchy subject.

But back to football!

That's what I was trying to get at. But I am also resigned to the fact that anything that's even percieved as a criticism of him is going to be recieved poorly on this board.

Atlanta Dan
03-03-2008, 11:50 AM

Look at every contract that has been signed this decade and how subsequent contracts for the same position and skill level that are written several years later are structured.

As long as the cap continues to rise the values of the contracts are going to continue to rise - it may nt be a "bargain" but the market rate for a QB at Ben's perceived level is going to be higher in several years than the contract he has signed.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-03-2008, 11:54 AM

C'mon Jeremy....we're talking about your "body of work"....I wont play word games with you...LITP burned me out on that kind of circular logic.

There are days you come in here just to argue....I have nothing against you personally but it does take away from the forum at times.

Just chill a little and enjoy the conversations... Let the whole mod-fight "thing" go....be a little more open-minded....a whole lot less condescending...and share you're thoughts on everyones common love of Steeler football.

memphissteelergirl
03-03-2008, 11:57 AM

LOL....Ben has plenty of "cheese" now!! :toofunny:

Jeremy
03-03-2008, 12:04 PM
C'mon Jeremy....we're talking about your "body of work"....I wont play word games with you...LITP burned me out on that kind of circular logic.

There are days you come in here just to argue....I have nothing against you personally but it does take away from the forum at times.

Just chill a little and enjoy the conversations... Let the whole mod-fight "thing" go....be a little more open-minded....a whole lot less condescending...and share you're thoughts on everyones common love of Steeler football.

I'm not the one who keeps dragging it back in to the conversation.

Dino 6 Rings
03-03-2008, 12:06 PM
That's what I was trying to get at. But I am also resigned to the fact that anything that's even percieved as a criticism of him is going to be recieved poorly on this board.

I am critical of Ben when he screws up. But I also believe, in my heart of hearts that if you look at every QB since Terry Bradshaw, Ben is the best to ever wear the Black and Gold and has a Ring and does lead us on comeback drives, does keep us in games, does make huge plays at huge moments and is a great Franchise QB for our beloved Steelers. Look at my posts in this thread, look at our past QBs, is he Payton Manning? is he Brett Favre? Nope. but he has as Many rings as they do and one more than Marino. So for my money, the Kid can play ball, he has had a great year every year except the one where he faceplanted a windshield. Ben is exactly what this team has needed for 20 years now. A Franchise, put your eggs in his basket, Quarter Back.

Now, if he goes out this off season and face plants another windshield or knocks up some supermodel only to dump her or beats and old man in the face with a baseball bat, I'll be all over him in a negative way.

If he says he wants a taller receiver, I'll say "sign Matt Jones" and get him the taller receiver.

Dino 6 Rings
03-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Look at every contract that has been signed this decade and how subsequent contracts for the same position and skill level that are written several years later are structured.

As long as the cap continues to rise the values of the contracts are going to continue to rise - it may nt be a "bargain" but the market rate for a QB at Ben's perceived level is going to be higher in several years than the contract he has signed.

Agreed, we got him for a great price at a great time and solidified our QB situation for years to come. When he gets us a couple more rings, (cause he has to, he has no option, he owes me 3 more,) then we can talk about that end of the career extension and that "retire a Steeler" type deal. For now, we have gotten exactly what we needed done and can focus on building around him and the team for years to come.

Elvis
03-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Just glad to see the deal is finally done and we dont have to worry about it for another 5 or so years and 2 or 4 more Super Bowl MVP's later...
:tt02:

Jeremy
03-03-2008, 12:12 PM
He'll probably in the Top 5 as far as quarterbacks go. If not the Top 5, then the Top 10.

My concern is the size of the deal and future ramifications it will have on the Steelers' ability to sign other pieces needed to win. This deal shows me that the Steelers firmly believe the cap is going to grow in a big way over the next 5-6 years. Otherwise, this deal handcuffs their ability to sign any big names.

This deal also means that Ward is playing out his final contract in Pittsburgh. The same probably goes for Parker as well and probably Farrior.

This deal also has implications when it comes to the draft. Now that they've basically mortgaged the future on the quarterback position, offensive line and wide receiver become more of a priority than they were before. I believe that this changes the thinking when it comes to the draft.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-03-2008, 12:14 PM
I'm not the one who keeps dragging it back in to the conversation.

Word games....every post I have made is in reply to yours. Guess the advise I gave was too much to ask for.

Lets try again....shall we?

Dino 6 Rings
03-03-2008, 12:48 PM
He'll probably in the Top 5 as far as quarterbacks go. If not the Top 5, then the Top 10.

My concern is the size of the deal and future ramifications it will have on the Steelers' ability to sign other pieces needed to win. This deal shows me that the Steelers firmly believe the cap is going to grow in a big way over the next 5-6 years. Otherwise, this deal handcuffs their ability to sign any big names.

This deal also means that Ward is playing out his final contract in Pittsburgh. The same probably goes for Parker as well and probably Farrior.

This deal also has implications when it comes to the draft. Now that they've basically mortgaged the future on the quarterback position, offensive line and wide receiver become more of a priority than they were before. I believe that this changes the thinking when it comes to the draft.

Top 5 for sure, Favre, Manning, Brady, Ben, then who?

They aren't going to sign any big names this off season anyway. They are going to build with the draft, use what is already on the roster and "fix" spots with guys that cost little but produce big.

Ward will get the "Retire a Steeler" Contract when his current contract is set to expire.

Parker and Farrior both are wait and see how the progress over the next couple seasons.

This draft will be all about the trenches. Regardless, that's how it was going to be, that's how it will be. Oline, Dline, Maybe a DB late or a WR late, but nothing surprising. Tomlin has to build a team for years to come, not try and buy a title this season.

stlrtruck
03-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Actions speak louder than words.

And that, my friend, goes back to the original post!

The person is hoping that his actions speak loud and clear about who he is as an individual well before they speak about who he is as a football player.

I'm willing to bet if you would ask Ben if he was a Christian first or a football player first he would answer, I'm a Christian. Solidfying my original statement that when one has a relationship with Christ - it is who they are as a person. Not allowing their career to dictate such activity.

Dino 6 Rings
03-03-2008, 12:56 PM
This thread is about the Contract and Ben's play on the field. Take any philosophical conversation to the Locker Room please.

ChronoCross
03-03-2008, 12:58 PM
That is one sick contract.. I said wow when I seen it. Did not think the Steelers would pay out that much ever. Hope Ben keeps on improving and it looks like if he stays healthy he will retire a Steeler. Congrats Ben.

Hines0wnz
03-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Good for him. One less thing to worry about for the new season.

Big Ben rawks! :tt02:

Haiku_Dirtt
03-03-2008, 01:03 PM
I believe that this changes the thinking when it comes to the draft.

How? The O-line was horrible with Faneca. What changed? Oh yeah. No more Faneca.

Ben's contract is Fair Market Value and everyone saw it coming like the sun rising in the east and setting in the west.

But we are in a house with no roof. And I don't see how this will be fixed within two years. There is no salary cap on the scouting department. I hope they are flush with cash.

stlrtruck
03-03-2008, 01:07 PM

I can only assume that when you say "him" you mean Ben. And if that's the case, then criticize Ben. Because of his position, IMHO, it comes with the territory.

msafford
03-03-2008, 01:26 PM
No "close to" or false reports from some website with the same credibility as some of the yahoo's at ESPN....

Steelers, Roethlisberger reach deal
By The Tribune-Review
Monday, March 3, 2008

The Steelers and Ben Roethlisberger have reached an agreement on a six-year contract extension worth $102 million, including over $36 million guaranteed.

Roethlisberger is now tied to the Steelers for the next eight seasons.

A press conference to announce the deal will be held this afternoon.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_555290.html

So does this mean we can't sign Moss now? :wink02:

Jeremy
03-03-2008, 01:28 PM
And that, my friend, goes back to the original post!

The person is hoping that his actions speak loud and clear about who he is as an individual well before they speak about who he is as a football player.

I'm willing to bet if you would ask Ben if he was a Christian first or a football player first he would answer, I'm a Christian. Solidfying my original statement that when one has a relationship with Christ - it is who they are as a person. Not allowing their career to dictate such activity.

:jawdrop:

Jeremy
03-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Seems like the salary cap increases by an average of $5-$7 million a year. So that's enough to swallow up Ben's contract within the next two years alone.

Of course, that still means the pool of available money for the rest of the team stands still for us instead of growing for the next two seasons. We'll probably give Ward's salary to Holmes, Farrior's salary to Timmons or Woodley, and Parker's to some new guy (sorry, but by the time this contract's up, he'll be in his 8th season and almost 30 years old, and not too many RBs make it much past that).

So basically, we'll be holding steady at the other skill positions but probably not making any huge upgrades. But having a franchise QB is worth it. I think we all know they don't come around to us (or to anyone) very often.

My position is that a franchise QB is only as good as the talent you surround him with. So I guess we'll all find out together what kind of talent the Steelers can find at good value.

stlrtruck
03-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Let's face it, there are certain positions that require to have a frachise guy. QB is one of them and while it would be nice to sign all of the guys, it's not possible - especially in today's money hungry NFL.

Players want the high priced contracts and owners want to buy the Super Bowl!

OneForTheToe
03-03-2008, 01:40 PM

I agree 100% with that comment. A perfect example of this was Faneca's last contract with the Steelers. That contract made him the highest paid guard in the game at the time. Four or five years later he was yacking about being disrespected by the offer the Steelers were presenting that would have increased his salary. As a matter of fact fact, I bet that in five years Ben will not be in the top five of the highest paid QBs in the league. You know Brady will sign a bigger deal when his contract is up as will probably Eli, just to name a few.

OneForTheToe
03-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is that it gets us a way from what could have been a doomsday senerio. The owners are likely to opt out of the new labor agreement, which could lead to a uncapped season in 2010-2011. Imagine trying to sign Ben in an uncapped NFL universe. At least now, if there is an uncapped season, while the Jones's and Snyders' of the world are spending like madmen, at least we know they won't be signing a better QB.

Rhee Rhee
03-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Wahoo!

102 Million over 8 years... about what i expected...

steelpride12
03-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Wow that is a perfect deal for him now i can sleep at night......Big money for Big Ben lets hope he plays at a high level like i know he will.

lilyoder6
03-03-2008, 02:39 PM
thats alot of money...... i hope we have money to sign more ppl. lol.. and i was just looking and we only have parker thru 09... so he we have 2 yrs left to extend his contract..

Dino 6 Rings
03-03-2008, 02:52 PM
So does this end the whole "The Rooney's are Cheap" argument

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!!

TackleMeBen
03-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal http://forums.steelersfever.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=372641#post372641)

LOL....Ben has plenty of "cheese" now!! :toofunny:

he can buy plenty of cheese now..lol

The Duke
03-03-2008, 03:02 PM
So does this end the whole "The Rooney's are Cheap" argument

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!!

no! they are cheap and always will be :rolleyes:

TackleMeBen
03-03-2008, 03:13 PM
no! they are cheap and always will be :rolleyes:

we all know that the rooneys arent cheap they just spend their money wisely.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
03-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Congrats on the contract Ben. It is well deserved and I will be happy to see him playing in the Black and Gold for at least 8 more years.

Stlrs4Life
03-03-2008, 04:42 PM

Hope you're right. Now let's get some guys to protect his *ss.

stillers4me
03-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Congrats, Ben Roethli$berger!

Black@Gold Forever32
03-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Congrats to Ben and thank you Mr. Rooney for getting this deal done......I know I don't want any other QB other then Big Ben.....He is the perfect fit for the Burgh and the Steelers.....3rd best QB in the game today behind only Brady and P. Manning....

Ben will only see the 36 million guaranteed of this contract...He won't see the 102 million.....Plus have no worries the Steelers will still be able to field a team around Ben......The cap always goes up and the Colts have been able to keep a team together around Peyton Manning...Indy isn't a huge market like Chicago or New York.....

Steeler in Carolina
03-03-2008, 05:28 PM
It's great to see this deal done. We could not have signed any free agent this off season that would be a valuable as signing Ben.

The Patriot
03-03-2008, 06:09 PM

Wowahweewah! Why so much. I doubt Ben was going anywhere.

SteelersJW
03-03-2008, 06:15 PM
I'm so grateful that we finally payed someone. Now we've gotta get some tough lineman to protect our Ben.

fansince'76
03-03-2008, 06:17 PM
I'm so grateful that we finally payed someone.

You mean like making Troy the highest-paid safety in the league last offseason? Or making Faneca the highest-paid OG in the league at the time back in '02? What's it going to take to dispel the "Rooneys are cheap" myth? Yeah, I know, overpay for marginal talent in FA. Not happening, and I'm glad.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-03-2008, 06:23 PM
What's that noise I hear? Oh, it's a Brinks truck backing into Big Ben's garage.

MasterOfPuppets
03-03-2008, 06:47 PM
and mike tomsuck.......:wink02:

MasterOfPuppets
03-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Wowahweewah! Why so much. I doubt Ben was going anywhere.look at what the raiders gave to a guy who never threw an nfl pass....then get back to me....:coffee:

VTsteel
03-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Congrats to Ben and thank you Mr. Rooney for getting this deal done......I know I don't want any other QB other then Big Ben.....He is the perfect fit for the Burgh and the Steelers.....3rd best QB in the game today behind only Brady and P. Manning....
Ben will only see the 36 million guaranteed of this contract...He won't see the 102 million.....Plus have no worries the Steelers will still be able to field a team around Ben......The cap always goes up and the Colts have been able to keep a team together around Peyton Manning...Indy isn't a huge market like Chicago or New York.....

Agreed!

NV STEELERS 723
03-03-2008, 06:56 PM
I'm happy this deal is done ! Go STEELERS !!!!

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
03-03-2008, 07:07 PM
I was watching Savrans show and he put up a comparison of Ben, Brady and Manning in their first 4 years in the league. --- Nice

Record
BEN 39-17
Brady 48-14
Manning 32-32

Superbowls
Ben 1
Brady 3
Manning 0

TD/INT
Ben 84-54
Brady 97-52
Manning 111-81

Passer Rating
Ben 95.5
Brady 87.6
Manning 85.1

Passing Yards
Ben 11,673
Brady 13,873
Manning 16,418.00

TackleMeBen
03-03-2008, 07:33 PM
What's that noise I hear? Oh, it's a Brinks truck backing into Big Ben's garage.

you mean this??? lol

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/beautifulgirl427/brinks_truck-1.jpg

lilyoder6
03-03-2008, 07:43 PM
could u just imagine making 10+ mill a yr... good job for them getting this job done.. now lets get some o and d line...

revefsreleets
03-03-2008, 07:58 PM
6 for a tick over 100mil?

Jesus...that's generous by any measure. But, you know, if we'd have waited another year, it'd have been 7 for 150. It's the nature of the beast.

And I have to say it:

"Those cheap Bastards the Rooneys!"

TackleMeBen
03-03-2008, 08:10 PM
just an interesting thing i found

$102 Million? Sacked 96 times? that comes out to $1,062,500 per sack!!! lol

Welcome To Smashmouth
03-03-2008, 11:39 PM
The biggest move we've made since signing Troy, and most likely the biggest signing we'll have for quite a while my friends.

Damn is that a nice insurance policy!

OneForTheToe
03-04-2008, 12:33 AM
6 for a tick over 100mil?

Jesus...that's generous by any measure. But, you know, if we'd have waited another year, it'd have been 7 for 150. It's the nature of the beast.

And I have to say it:

"Those cheap Bastards the Rooneys!"

It's 8 for 102 million, not 6. Yes he was under contract for another two years but this contract replaces the final two years of his original contract..

Galax Steeler
03-04-2008, 03:21 AM
Glad to see this deal done and ben in black and gold for a long time.

lilyoder6
03-04-2008, 08:28 AM
i don't think it does replace the 2 yrs left on his contract.. thats y it's called an extension.. they have added yrs to the orignal contract... thats what i think i might be wrong but i am like 95 % sure... but i'm glad he will be here for a long time...

HometownGal
03-04-2008, 08:40 AM
i don't think it does replace the 2 yrs left on his contract.. thats y it's called an extension.. they have added yrs to the orignal contract... thats what i think i might be wrong but i am like 95 % sure... but i'm glad he will be here for a long time...

You are correct lilyoder - Ben signed a 6 year extension to his existing contract.

http://kdka.com/sports/Ben.Roethlisberger.deal.2.667707.html

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ― The Pittsburgh Steelers have signed quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to a six-year extension worth $102 million.

That means Big Ben will be with the team at least eight more years because he has two years left on his previous deal.

Roethlisberger gets a $25 million signing bonus and an additional $11 million guarantee for a total of $36 in guaranteed money.

83-Steelers-43
03-04-2008, 08:40 AM
Makes sense to me. The pressure is on, much like it would be in any other city after receiving that type of contract. It's time to earn it....

Now, Big Ben has to earn that mammoth salary
Ron Cook commentary: Mammoth contract brings even bigger expectations
Tuesday, March 04, 2008
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

There never was any doubt that the Ben Roethlisberger contract would be done. Teams don't allow a franchise quarterback to leave in today's NFL. They are too precious. Look at what the Dallas Cowboys did with Tony Romo. They rushed to sign him to a mega-deal in October even though he had made just 17 regular-season starts and hadn't won a playoff game.

Of course, Big Ben was staying.

He's one of the most accomplished young quarterbacks in NFL history, having won a Super Bowl and played in another AFC championship game in his first four seasons.

The kid didn't even turn 26 until Sunday.

But how much would it cost to keep him?

Would Roethlisberger pull a Peyton Manning and take every dollar on the table? Or would he do a Tom Brady and take less so the team could sign some good players to put around him?

From this angle, it looks as if Roethlisberger did the money grab.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, to quote a famous Seinfeld episode.

Forget any sort of loyalty. Pro football is nothing but a big business. The Steelers always are going to do what's in their best interests. They proved that again last summer when they offered guard Alan Faneca -- a Super Bowl hero and one of their all-time greats -- a lot less than he ended up getting from the New York Jets the other day. Don't misunderstand; don't hold that against the club. Management made what it felt was a smart business decision. But don't blame Big Ben for going after every dollar. We're talking about a two-way street here.

Sure, it would have been nice if Roethlisberger had followed Brady's lead. Brady signed a six-year, $60 million deal -- well below market value -- after the 2004 season, after he had won three Super Bowls with the New England Patriots. That enabled the team to add, among others, wide receiver Randy Moss. Brady and Moss had a record-breaking season in 2007 and nearly made NFL history, falling just short of an unbeaten season in Super Bowl XLII.

But Roethlisberger's eight-year, $102 million contract -- including a $25.2 million signing bonus -- is more like Manning's seven-year, $98 million deal with the Indianapolis Colts after the 2003 season. Who knows? Maybe the Steelers didn't push harder for Faneca because they knew their day of reckoning with Roethlisberger was coming. Certainly, it's fair to assume the team won't be able to sign a veteran offensive lineman who even approaches Faneca's skill as a replacement or the tall wide receiver that Roethlisberger had on his wish list after last season.

Not that Big Ben was in a complaining mood yesterday.

After this contract, he should be ashamed of himself if he complains about the Steelers' personnel anytime soon.

"I believe that the guys we have on this team right now are exceptional players," Roethlisberger said. "I believe that we have all of the pieces to the puzzle that we can be a championship football team."

How Roethlisberger performs will go a long way toward determining the Steelers' chances. The scrutiny on him next season and beyond will be unlike any that any Pittsburgh athlete has faced. The biggest contract in Steelers' history assures that, although he was right on when he said, with a wry grin, "In this town, there is always pressure [on the quarterback] to play well."

It would be nice if Roethlisberger doesn't have a serious injury during the next eight seasons, which might be a challenge unless his offensive line gets better in a hurry. (Sleep easy: There's no indication Big Ben will ride a motorcycle again.) It would be nice if he doesn't have another 23-interception season, as he did in 2006. It also would nice if he doesn't throw three interceptions in the first half of the Steelers' next playoff game, as he did against the Jacksonville Jaguars in January.

The Steelers clearly are counting on none of those things happening.

"The kid has done tremendous things," Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said. "He has a chance to do some really special things in his career. He probably hasn't played his best football yet."

Regardless of how the Roethlisberger era turns out, this was a contract the Steelers had to do. Team owner Dan Rooney knows it. That's why he looked remarkably robust yesterday despite being potentially $102 million lighter.

"He's a Steeler. He always will be a Steeler," Rooney said of Roethlisberger.

Said a humbled Big Ben, "Hopefully, I can pay [that faith] back with championships."

For $102 million, nothing less will be expected.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08064/862291-87.stm

Counselor
03-04-2008, 01:05 PM

I believe it does replace the last two years of the contract. If you read this article attached below, it looks like a rework of the final two years plus 6 more. That is the typical way this is done. I can't imagine him waiting two more years before getting the big bucks---what is the incentive to signing now if that were the case?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/03/03/roethlisberger.deal.ap/index.html

fansince'76
03-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Sure, it would have been nice if Roethlisberger had followed Brady's lead. Brady signed a six-year, $60 million deal -- well below market value -- after the 2004 season, after he had won three Super Bowls with the New England Patriots. That enabled the team to add, among others, wide receiver Randy Moss. Brady and Moss had a record-breaking season in 2007 and nearly made NFL history, falling just short of an unbeaten season in Super Bowl XLII.

And since then, Moss' salary has tripled and half of their secondary has moved on to greener pastures. Let's see what the future holds before we blame Ben's contract for dooming the team to years of mediocrity, OK, Mr. Cook? :coffee:

OneForTheToe
03-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Guys, it definately replaces his old contract. Remember most of Ben's old contract was not guarenteed. I think the KDKA article is just using the term extention in a different way. Yes, it is an extention of his contract with the Steelers for another six years, but the finacial terms are figured over an 8 year period (including the replacement of the final two years of his old contract). Otherwise the Steelers would be paying Ben 17 million per year and they are not doing that because he is not A-Rod and this isn't baseball.. :wink02:

Roethlisberger was due a $2.95 million bonus this month that, if paid, would have put the Steelers over the salary cap. By reworking Roethlisberger’s contract now, the team rolled that bonus into his new contract and can prorate his signing bonus over the eight years of the contract.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ahv1gaFbe_z4QOWf5H9n5vg5nYcB?slug=ap-steelers-roethlisberger&prov=ap&type=lgns

SteelFist
03-04-2008, 01:40 PM

AMEN Brother!! :thumbsup:

Dino 6 Rings
03-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Best thing to happen to our QB situation since the retirement of Terry Bradshaw. Welcome to the Long Term Legendary Status Ben.

Now...You OWE ME 3 More Rings....

lilyoder6
03-04-2008, 01:59 PM
i just hope that this money doesn't gop to his head..

19ward86
03-04-2008, 07:37 PM
http://news.steelers.com/article/87426/

Sorry i dont know how to show the article underneath the link. This also talks about Max Starks contract and the plans for what to do about it.

TackleMeBen
03-04-2008, 07:56 PM

one can hope but there are two things that you have to remember 1) he is young (so its a possible it would) 2.) and he is pro athlete... so yeah i would bet it probably will.. unfortunely

83-Steelers-43
03-04-2008, 09:07 PM

The unpopular opinion, I know....

But I think the kid already has a big head. I know, those who are strictly Ben fans will have a fit. I know, he gives to charities and is very religious. Anyways, just my opinion. I've heard enough stories in this city over the last few years.

Eitherway, you have to wrap up your franchise QB. I'm happy it's over and done with and we can move on to the draft and TC. Hopefully he lives up to the contract.

steel striker
03-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Folks lets face it Ben is the best qb we have had since Bradshaw and, if the steelers did not show him the money some other team would have. It will be money well spent. Ben is seems to be a stand up guy and, a hard worker as well and, now we just have to beef up our o-line then the sky is the limit.

83-Steelers-43
03-05-2008, 04:30 AM
Folks lets face it Ben is the best qb we have had since Bradshaw

Agree completely.

and, if the steelers did not show him the money some other team would have.

Agree completely.

It will be money well spent.

While I agree with the notion that the signing had to be done, only time will tell if it is money well spent. I'm not saying it isn't, but I would rather take the wait and see approach.

Also, it's not solely up to Roethlisberger to make sure that money is well spent, it's also up to the Steelers FO to make sure it's money well spent. As you stated below, building an o-line would be a nice start.

now we just have to beef up our o-line then the sky is the limit.

Agree completely.

fansince'76
03-05-2008, 06:00 AM

Show me a NFL QB worth his salt without an ego.

msafford
03-05-2008, 06:51 AM
And since then, Moss' salary has tripled and half of their secondary has moved on to greener pastures. Let's see what the future holds before we blame Ben's contract for dooming the team to years of mediocrity, OK, Mr. Cook? :coffee:

And let's not forget that Peyton Manning's team (I think) did ok after he signed his big contract. :wink02:

TackleMeBen
03-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6 http://forums.steelersfever.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=373103#post373103)

maybe peyton manning

The_WARDen
03-05-2008, 10:30 AM

to be a good QB you need an ego...all the great ones had an ego.

fansince'76
03-05-2008, 11:15 AM

maybe peyton manning

Franchise QB that waves off punting team in defiance of the HC's orders = EGO.

But that's not a bad thing - as The WARDen pointed out, all the great ones to a man have been c0cky SOBs.

stlrtruck
03-05-2008, 11:31 AM

He just retired yesterday.

Counselor
03-05-2008, 11:45 AM

Disagree----Favre has a huge ego which was severly brusied upon the draftng of Aaron Rogers. Remember he's Brett "I'm not going to be anybody's mentor" Favre.
He's also a guy who has strung along his team and the media for four years over the "will he" "won't he" retire story (including a press conference to tell everyone there was no decision yet). That is an ego.

Again, I agree with everyone who said ego---when dealt with in the right way---is a positive for a QB.

fansince'76
03-05-2008, 11:54 AM

Right.

"Last season (2005), expectations were high and it was a bad situation," Favre said of the team's 4-12 season, his only losing one in Green Bay. "If we can't compete at a high level, I can walk away and my legacy will speak for itself."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/packers/2006-03-31-favre_x.htm

But again, in a franchise QB, ego is NOT a bad thing. It's one of the things that separates the true franchise QBs from journeymen that in many cases are afraid of their own shadows (see Maddox, Stewart, O'Donnell, et al.).

Dino 6 Rings
03-05-2008, 12:05 PM
We now, have zero worries (barring injury) at the QB position for the next 6 seasons, (if we plan to re-negotiate when there are 2 years left as is our habit with Qbs) This stamps us as Big Ben's Team. So we put our eggs in his basket and hope he carries us to Victory...again...cause he did it once. I like it, finally someone who doesn't throw the game away all the time and a guy that can make big plays, in big games at key moments. Finally.

Now I have to get his Jersey for my daughters.

Counselor
03-05-2008, 12:09 PM
We now, have zero worries (barring injury) at the QB position for the next 6 seasons, (if we plan to re-negotiate when there are 2 years left as is our habit with Qbs) This stamps us as Big Ben's Team. So we put our eggs in his basket and hope he carries us to Victory...again...cause he did it once. I like it, finally someone who doesn't throw the game away all the time and a guy that can make big plays, in big games at key moments. Finally.

Now I have to get his Jersey for my daughters.

He said today in an interview with DVE that his goal is to bring 5 superbowls to Pgh, one more than Terry Bradshaw.

How lovely that would be.

TackleMeBen
03-05-2008, 12:18 PM
He said today in an interview with DVE that his goal is to bring 5 superbowls to Pgh, one more than Terry Bradshaw.

is that 5 more not counting the one he already has or is it 4 more plus the one he already has???:wink02:

OneForTheToe
03-05-2008, 12:46 PM

Headline News : "Ben says he's better than Bradshaw."
:computer:

You know this stuff writes itself. Who said being a sports writer is hard. :flap::wink02:

TackleMeBen
03-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Headline News : "Ben says he's better than Bradshaw."
:computer:

does that mean he is going to make a record like bradshaw did too????????:wink02:

Hapa
03-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Hopefully Pittsburgh will now be able to think about the line.

TackleMeBen
03-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Now that he can afford more than a reported home in Hampton with a pet shower, what could Mr. Roethlisberger purchase with his newfound wealth?

• He could spend an entire season's salary and buy a top-of-the-line Rolex for each member of the Steelers' roster ... the Miami (Ohio) traveling roster ... and the Findlay High roster, some 150 in all at the platinum, special-edition, day-date model sold at Henne Jewelers for $84,800 apiece.

• If he wanted to treat his offensive linemen extra special, beyond his weekly praise, he could buy each a 2008 Hummer H2 at Cochran Automotive for whom he has served as a pitchman. Trick out those babies over their $56,735 base, buy a few extra vehicles for his parents and sister, then give each 100,000 gallons of premium gas, and at an estimated $5.6 million he would have barely spent half a year's pay.

• He could use his bonus to try to impress the girl he's reportedly dating, actor Missy Peregrym of television's "Smallville," with a big building. The 11-story Union Trust Building, Downtown, just sold to a Los Angeles group for $24.1 million. But, said Frank Molinero, senior vice president at Oxford Development, "We'd probably want to sell him a new condo in the PNC III Development" at Fifth and Liberty. They're only $500,000-plus apiece. "Yeah, but by the time he pays for parking ..."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08064/862268-66.stm

OneForTheToe
03-05-2008, 01:36 PM
does that mean he is going to make a record like bradshaw did too????????:wink02:

I don't know if he can sing but I bet you ladies would rather see Ben in his "naked room" than Terry.:wave:

The_WARDen
03-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Right.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/packers/2006-03-31-favre_x.htm

But again, in a franchise QB, ego is NOT a bad thing. It's one of the things that separates the true franchise QBs from journeymen that in many cases are afraid of their own shadows (see Maddox, Stewart, O'Donnell, et al.).

I agree...in order to be great, you yourself have to have the opinion that you are the man. If the player doesn't believe it (especially a QB who's the 'leader') no one will believe in him either.

stlrtruck
03-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Disagree----Favre has a huge ego which was severly brusied upon the draftng of Aaron Rogers. Remember he's Brett "I'm not going to be anybody's mentor" Favre.
He's also a guy who has strung along his team and the media for four years over the "will he" "won't he" retire story (including a press conference to tell everyone there was no decision yet). That is an ego.

Again, I agree with everyone who said ego---when dealt with in the right way---is a positive for a QB.

I'll just agree to disagree on this one. I've never thought that a player should have to "mentor" another player. It's the NFL for the love of pete. And the media is just as much to blame for the circus around favre and his retirement the last four years as he does.

IMHO, Brett played with emotion and he played to win. And while he at times spoke when he should have been quiet, I don't think his ego was what it could have been given a man in his position, with his records, and recognizability.

But I digress, he has retired, Ben is our man, and what lies ahead of us is whether or not he'll turn into some ego-maniac that costs the team games or if he'll be able to play the game the way he has the last 4 years.

brsteelers
03-05-2008, 03:12 PM
I believe that Big Ben is one of the best qb's in the NFL. The Steelers had every reason to sign him to that kind of money. He's already won a Super Bowl and is a proven winner.

Considering the pass rush he found himself dealing with last season, Roethlisberger played extremely well. One bad first half against Jacksonville doesn't take that away.

The_WARDen
03-07-2008, 02:20 PM
I'll just agree to disagree on this one. I've never thought that a player should have to "mentor" another player. It's the NFL for the love of pete. And the media is just as much to blame for the circus around favre and his retirement the last four years as he does.

IMHO, Brett played with emotion and he played to win. And while he at times spoke when he should have been quiet, I don't think his ego was what it could have been given a man in his position, with his records, and recognizability.

But I digress, he has retired, Ben is our man, and what lies ahead of us is whether or not he'll turn into some ego-maniac that costs the team games or if he'll be able to play the game the way he has the last 4 years.

but Brett still had an ego...how else do you explain some of those passes he forced over the years. He's either got an ego or he's just plain stupid...
IMO ego is not a bad thing....I want my QB to think he's the man. There should be no self doubt.

stlrtruck
03-07-2008, 02:32 PM
but Brett still had an ego...how else do you explain some of those passes he forced over the years. He's either got an ego or he's just plain stupid...
IMO ego is not a bad thing....I want my QB to think he's the man. There should be no self doubt.

I'm not saying he didn't have an ego (which I didn't make clear), I'm saying he didn't let it go to his head, say like Carson Palmer, Tom Brady, or some other pansy playing the position. While Brett may have had an ego, he played the game with toughness...

as for some of his passes - I'd say he was plain stupid, others sheer luck, and others meer perfection (sort of like that kid of ohio that wears #7 and plays in Pittsburgh - what's his name).

Jeremy
03-07-2008, 08:16 PM
I'm not saying he didn't have an ego (which I didn't make clear), I'm saying he didn't let it go to his head, say like Carson Palmer, Tom Brady, or some other pansy playing the position. While Brett may have had an ego, he played the game with toughness...

as for some of his passes - I'd say he was plain stupid, others sheer luck, and others meer perfection (sort of like that kid of ohio that wears #7 and plays in Pittsburgh - what's his name).

Are you kidding?

Kittyfish
03-12-2008, 12:51 PM
A little late to the discussion - hey, I've been out of town:

About Ben's ego.

Yes, of course he has a big ego - as others have said, to be the best at something, you have to believe you're the best. Thinking you aren't that good, or you don't belong out there with the other, presumably better, players won't get you anywhere. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any professional athlete who didn't believe he/she was damn good and deserving of his or her position in the sport, whatever it is. You have some natural talent, work hard and earn your position and reap your rewards, and you do that by being very, very good at whatever it is you do. Very few people make it to the professional level at all.

About all this money going to his head.

Of course it might, but I can't help thinking that Ben has something most other QBs (or other athletes of a comparable age and position) don't have - an appreciation for how quickly it can all be taken away, in literally a blink of an eye. How fragile and tenuous his fame and fortune can be.

Imagine what his world was like in the spring of 2006. He was a professional QB, at the top of the game, the youngest QB ever to win a SB. He is young, big and strong, he has the world at his feet - in his mind, he was invincible and had nothing but a bright future ahead of him. (For us older folks, remember how it was when we were in our early 20s? We thought we were invincible too, that nothing could happen to us - though it might to someone else - and we didn't have all the rest of that baggage Ben carried.) Then he got in that motorcycle accident and had to deal with the knowledge that he very easily could have been KILLED, or at the very least, lost his career so shortly after it began. That's a lot to handle, and I imagine that in some ways he had to grow up very quickly, in ways that other people his age and in his position couldn't possibly understand at the same level. I think he'll keep his head screwed on straight.

I know Jeremy will disagree, but I believe Ben is the best QB we've had in a long time and will be worth the money he is paid. If that's the going rate for a franchise QB, then that's what Ben is worth. Nothing has any intrinsic value in and of itself, things are only worth what others are willing to pay for them. I am sure other teams would have been very happy to show Ben the money if we hadn't been willing to do so, and I for one am glad we did. I expect big things from Big Ben, and hopefully he'll deliver. Barring any misfortune, he should have a long career ahead of him in which to do so.

stlrtruck
03-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Are you kidding?

Yes, it was all a joke. :banging:

No, Jeremy, I was not kidding. :thumbsup:

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-15-2008, 09:34 AM
A little late to the discussion - hey, I've been out of town:

About Ben's ego.

Yes, of course he has a big ego - as others have said, to be the best at something, you have to believe you're the best. Thinking you aren't that good, or you don't belong out there with the other, presumably better, players won't get you anywhere. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any professional athlete who didn't believe he/she was damn good and deserving of his or her position in the sport, whatever it is. You have some natural talent, work hard and earn your position and reap your rewards, and you do that by being very, very good at whatever it is you do. Very few people make it to the professional level at all.

About all this money going to his head.

Of course it might, but I can't help thinking that Ben has something most other QBs (or other athletes of a comparable age and position) don't have - an appreciation for how quickly it can all be taken away, in literally a blink of an eye. How fragile and tenuous his fame and fortune can be.

Imagine what his world was like in the spring of 2006. He was a professional QB, at the top of the game, the youngest QB ever to win a SB. He is young, big and strong, he has the world at his feet - in his mind, he was invincible and had nothing but a bright future ahead of him. (For us older folks, remember how it was when we were in our early 20s? We thought we were invincible too, that nothing could happen to us - though it might to someone else - and we didn't have all the rest of that baggage Ben carried.) Then he got in that motorcycle accident and had to deal with the knowledge that he very easily could have been KILLED, or at the very least, lost his career so shortly after it began. That's a lot to handle, and I imagine that in some ways he had to grow up very quickly, in ways that other people his age and in his position couldn't possibly understand at the same level. I think he'll keep his head screwed on straight.

I know Jeremy will disagree, but I believe Ben is the best QB we've had in a long time and will be worth the money he is paid. If that's the going rate for a franchise QB, then that's what Ben is worth. Nothing has any intrinsic value in and of itself, things are only worth what others are willing to pay for them. I am sure other teams would have been very happy to show Ben the money if we hadn't been willing to do so, and I for one am glad we did. I expect big things from Big Ben, and hopefully he'll deliver. Barring any misfortune, he should have a long career ahead of him in which to do so.

You bring up very valid points...Ben is still young and did/will make some youthful mistakes...but I can never see him buying into the "celebrity" trap of thinking he is a rock star/male model (*see Tom Brady). For some reason...I cant see Brady being nice enough to drive his little sister and her date to the prom.

He was statistically the second best QB last year...so yea...he deserved the big money.

BettisFan
03-15-2008, 11:30 AM
You bring up very valid points...Ben is still young and did/will make some youthful mistakes...but I can never see him buying into the "celebrity" trap of thinking he is a rock star/male model (*see Tom Brady). For some reason...I cant see Brady being nice enough to drive his little sister and her date to the prom.

He was statistically the second best QB last year...so yea...he deserved the big money.

He thinks hes an American Idol! " I like Pina Coldas!"

stillers4me
03-15-2008, 11:51 AM
He thinks hes an American Idol! " I like Pina Coldas!"

Yeah......I'm sure this is what Ben is thinking.......

The heck with being an NFL superstud.....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/normal_17ecac3404cc451b94efba9gf2.jpg

this is what the chicks really dig.......:sofunny:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/723.jpg

polamalu82
03-15-2008, 11:57 AM
fba9gf2.jpg[/IMG]

Where did you get my picture at?:sofunny:

TackleMeBen
03-15-2008, 02:34 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/normal_17ecac3404cc451b94efba9gf2.jpg

CHICKS DIG THE GEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:flap:

GeneralRobinson
03-15-2008, 08:15 PM

Hey, baby. Wanna see what a mattress stuffed with $102 million feels like? :sofunny:

BettisFan
03-15-2008, 11:43 PM

Hahaha nice! I bet :banging:

Galax Steeler
03-16-2008, 06:30 AM
Hey, baby. Wanna see what a mattress stuffed with $102 million feels like? :sofunny:

Can't say that I blame ben that must be heaven.