View Full Version : Clady Continues Push Long for Top OT

Aussie_steeler
03-04-2008, 01:17 AM
http://www.mysportspage.com/news/home/index.html?article_id=120797

03/03/2008 9:20 PM
By Rob Rang
Senior Analyst
NFLDraftScout.com

Less than a week after an estimated 40 scouts attended the University of Miami's Pro Day, more than 50 attended Boise State's workout.
My, how things have changed.
The scouts flocked to Boise to have an opportunity to view junior offensive tackle Ryan Clady. While Clady may lack the name recognition of other elite talents in this draft, some scouts consider him to be a better long-term left tackle prospect for than Michigan's Jake Long.
Clady measured in at a shade more than 6-feet-6 and 309 pounds. His arms were measured at 36 3/4 inches, tying him with late-round prospect Franklin Dunbar from Middle Tennessee State as the offensive lineman with the longest arms in this year's draft class.
Clady was timed between 5.15 and 5.23 seconds in the 40-yard dash, according to scouts in attendance. He also posted a 31-inch vertical jump and a 9-foot broad jump. Clady's lateral agility and strong hands were obvious during drills.
The Carolina Panthers, owners of the 13th overall pick, met with Clady on Sunday night. He has a private meeting scheduled with the Chicago Bears, who have the 14th pick, next week. The Kansas City Chiefs (fifth), Baltimore Ravens (eighth) and Cincinnati Bengals (ninth) are also thought to have shown extra interest.
Clady elected not to participate in the bench press after posting 24 repetitions at 225 pounds at the Combine. While completing the bench press drill in Indianapolis, Clady strained his pectoral muscle, forcing the rest of the workout to be postponed until Monday. The day before sustaining the injury, he had informed media at the Combine that he planned to do the full workout.
Boise State's other likely draft choice -- cornerback Orlando Scandrick -- elected not to run Monday after posting a 4.33 at the Combine, good for second among all cornerbacks. He did perform in defensive back drills, showing a smooth backpedal, easy flip and turn and good agility in and out of his breaks.

Still think Long will be taken before Clady. He may go as high as 5 to the chiefs if Long goes before that. Not sure if he is a top 5 pick.

rbryan
03-04-2008, 07:47 AM
In the past picking at the top of the draft was an advantage now I think the opposite is true. I'd hate to have to pay 2 or 3 times as much for an unproven prospect just because Mel kiper says he's a little better than whoever we take at #23.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-04-2008, 08:07 AM
If it is true that Clady scored a 4 on his wonderlic...he will slide...FAST!!!

Talent means nothing if you cant memorize your assignments or learn your playbook.

That has been the knock on Kemo..and the reason given for his not starting up to this point.

rbryan
03-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Wow, a 4 on the wonderlic?? I'd just as soon draft a box of rocks if thats true.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Wow, a 4 on the wonderlic?? I'd just as soon draft a box of rocks if thats true.

I have seen it mentioned in passing on two sites..but not verified as of now...

brsteelers
03-04-2008, 02:55 PM
If it's true, Long is DEFINITELY going first. Thanks for the post.

MasterOfPuppets
03-04-2008, 06:37 PM
If it is true that Clady scored a 4 on his wonderlic...he will slide...FAST!!!

Talent means nothing if you cant memorize your assignments or learn your playbook.

That has been the knock on Kemo..and the reason given for his not starting up to this point.the assignments and playbook,may be more complex at the pro level, but none the less there still present at every level. if he mastered boise st.'s playbook, and managed to be considered a top prospect, i'm sure he can digest an nfl scheme good enough to be an effective blocker.

Dylan
03-05-2008, 07:58 PM
There is no way Clady will go ahead of Long. Not a chance