PDA

View Full Version : Nothing official..but...?

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-04-2008, 03:27 PM
While scanning the blogs, forums, and draft sites...I see that a couple of sites are saying that the Steelers may have LBer Landon Johnson come in for a visit....I will let you know If I see anything "official".

fansince'76
03-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Aw man, I want a 6'8" WR with 4.1 speed.... :chuckle:

Elvis
03-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Lambert, which LB spot does he play , OLB?
:tt02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Lambert, which LB spot does he play , OLB?
:tt02:

No he was the ILB...and he was their most productive LBer with 109 tackles

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-04-2008, 03:35 PM

..and I wanted Jeff Otah to run a 4.3 at the combine to fill both our LT spot and return punts.:flap:

aburdell
03-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Yea I read a little about this on NFL.com it says that Cinci is switching to the 3-4 and Johnson doesn't fit into their plans. He is 6'2 but only 230lbs, and they want him to play OLB cuz they have Ahmad Brooks and they think Odell Thurman will be reinstated this year. So that takes up their ILB positions. He is a pretty solid tackler and that is what the Steelers like. He is pretty young so he could be the successor for Farrior or Foote. I compare him to DeMeco Ryans, they are both small LB's, but are quick to recognize plays and solid tacklers. Let's see if we open up our thin checkbooks.

Dino 6 Rings
03-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Um, not for nothing folks, but I'm not sure we have that much more cap room for any new guys.

CantStop85
03-04-2008, 05:15 PM

He's played both for the Bengals and led them in tackles for the last 3-4 years.

OneForTheToe
03-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Um, not for nothing folks, but I'm not sure we have that much more cap room for any new guys.

I agree ... but the Steelers could have already decided to let a big salary go and just didn't want to release someone the day they give Big Ben a new contract. They don't have to be under the cap, yet. Also, Ben's new contract might have even saved us a bit over what the experts were saying was his cap hit this season. I'm not sure about that, but I do know he was due an almost 3 mill roster bonus this month that most people were probably adding to our cap, but now that bonus has now been spread out over the lenght of his contract.

TackleMeBen
03-04-2008, 06:01 PM
'76 are you sure you arent ben in disguise??? :flap:

fansince'76
03-04-2008, 06:03 PM
'76 are you sure you arent ben in disguise??? :flap:

(Checks his wallet - moth flies out) Nope, I'm sure - I'm not Ben. :chuckle:

TackleMeBen
03-04-2008, 06:05 PM
(Checks his wallet - moth flies out) Nope, I'm sure - I'm not Ben. :chuckle:
well darn it. i know you are very upset about that..lol :flap:

TackleMeBen
03-04-2008, 06:08 PM

Obviously we did have the cap space available to do the types of things that we have done,? said Colbert. ?We didn?t have to make any roster moves to accommodate any of the moves that happened today.?

http://news.steelers.com/article/87426/

stillers4me
03-04-2008, 06:11 PM
I'm pretty sure I don't want a Johnson that's been in the Bengal locker room.......... :chuckle:

Rhee Rhee
03-04-2008, 06:41 PM
im more curious about eugene wilson coming in for a visit than landon johnson... but then again i dont understand why he isnt recieving interest frmo other teams after posting 100+ tackles...

SteelersJW
03-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Don't we have enough linebackers yet?

OneForTheToe
03-04-2008, 06:51 PM
With reagard to cap space, I still believe that what happens with Starks is a major cap issue for the Steelers. If he works out a long term deal with the Steelers, would they consider letting Marvel go. (big risk, but also big cap hit)? What about Mahan? Okobi might be cheaper as an insurance policy, and really, he couldn't have been much worse. If Starks goes elsewhere, or doesn't work out a longterm deal with the Steelers, then you pretty much have to hold on to everybody.

OneForTheToe
03-04-2008, 06:54 PM

Actually we are pretty thin on the inside -especially since we let Kriewalt go. Most of us a speculating about Timmons at inside linebacker, but that is hardly a sure thing. If they can fit his salary under the cap it is not a bad idea.

19ward86
03-04-2008, 08:29 PM
its not happening, sorry...If we release farrior and foote it would be possible but since the starters will probably be farrior and timmons i dont see us bringing in a guy that fits the 4-3 scheme. we dont want to do the opposite of a kendrell bell now do we?

Galax Steeler
03-05-2008, 04:15 AM
The question would be if timmons is going to be ready to start.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-05-2008, 08:41 AM
I agree ... but the Steelers could have already decided to let a big salary go and just didn't want to release someone the day they give Big Ben a new contract. They don't have to be under the cap, yet. Also, Ben's new contract might have even saved us a bit over what the experts were saying was his cap hit this season. I'm not sure about that, but I do know he was due an almost 3 mill roster bonus this month that most people were probably adding to our cap, but now that bonus has now been spread out over the lenght of his contract.

Excellent point....and I'm not positive but I think the transition tag on Starks only ensures the Steelers a first-refusal right to an offer given to the Starks by another club. If we match, we retain him. If we dont, we receive no compensation. HOWEVER I think that if he is given no other offers.... the Steelers have the right to remove the tag and make him an offer outside of the Transition Tag guidelines.

If I'm wrong...I apologize but I think that is the case.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-05-2008, 08:43 AM
I'm pretty sure I don't want a Johnson that's been in the Bengal locker room.......... :chuckle:

:sofunny::sofunny:

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-05-2008, 08:45 AM
its not happening, sorry...If we release farrior and foote it would be possible but since the starters will probably be farrior and timmons i dont see us bringing in a guy that fits the 4-3 scheme. we dont want to do the opposite of a kendrell bell now do we?

But we are basing that on the BENGALS assesment of his ability!!!!...Which means he could be the next Brian Urlacher for all the world knows.:dang:

delhess
03-05-2008, 09:38 AM

that locker room is full of johnsons :wink02:

SteelerFanInCA
03-05-2008, 01:32 PM

Maybe since he's good at tackling they might be considering adding him to our special teams unit. Just a thought.

Hapa
03-05-2008, 02:34 PM
I think Farrior might be retiring soon
This might not be a bad idea

Stlrs4Life
03-05-2008, 05:54 PM

Amen to That!

Elvis
03-05-2008, 06:00 PM
Excellent point....and I'm not positive but I think the transition tag on Starks only ensures the Steelers a first-refusal right to an offer given to the Starks by another club. If we match, we retain him. If we dont, we receive no compensation. HOWEVER I think that if he is given no other offers.... the Steelers have the right to remove the tag and make him an offer outside of the Transition Tag guidelines.

If I'm wrong...I apologize but I think that is the case.
I think that it was in the post-gazette or somwhere where the Steelers would not resign him either way unless someone offers him less money than what the tender is on him. From what I understood from the article was say, if the Ravens offer him a 4 yr. $23 million contract then the Steelers would probably match it, but if the Ravens offer him a 6 yr $60 mill. contract then they would not match it. If he gets no offer and the Steelers are stuck with the 1 yr tender then they will release him.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
03-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Landon Johnson signs with the Panthers.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/03/07/bc.fbn.panthers.johnson.ap/index.html