PDA

View Full Version : OFFSEASON

steelymcmatt
03-05-2008, 07:54 AM
I think it is still early to determine who we're going to look at in the draft (not that that will stop anyone of course). Now that we've taken care of our #1 priority (resigning Big Ben) and the spending spree of the first couple days are over, we need to look at who is left in free agency who can help us. IMO we need a VETERAN guard, VETERAN tackle, VETERAN center(or at least 2 of the 3), a VETERAN corner/safety, and 3rd/4th wide reciever. I have my own ideas at these positions, but I'd like to know what everyone else thinks.....

MasterOfPuppets
03-05-2008, 11:18 AM
:pde:

steelymcmatt
03-05-2008, 12:28 PM
:pde:

Thanks for that in-depth, intelligent analysis.....what would we do without you?

OneForTheToe
03-05-2008, 02:12 PM
I think it is still early to determine who we're going to look at in the draft (not that that will stop anyone of course). Now that we've taken care of our #1 priority (resigning Big Ben) and the spending spree of the first couple days are over, we need to look at who is left in free agency who can help us. IMO we need a VETERAN guard, VETERAN tackle, VETERAN center(or at least 2 of the 3), a VETERAN corner/safety, and 3rd/4th wide reciever. I have my own ideas at these positions, but I'd like to know what everyone else thinks.....

You don't really think the Steelers would be that active in FA even if we had the cap room do you?

I said yesterday I thought that what happens with Starks contract will determine a great deal in what the Steelers do or don't do in FA or the draft. If they work out a long-term deal with Starks, I don't see any additions to the O'line except for draft picks. On the other hand, if Starks goes somewhere else, or if the Steelers rescind the transition tag, then we might look to a FA.

I'm not sure why you think we need VETERAN's for the O'line. We are not that young on the O'line (or anywhere else) as it is. It is skill that is our problem on the o'line, not a lack of experience.

I don't see us going guard at all unless it is a BPA pick in the lower rounds or the guy can play multiple position. Simmons is signed to a long-term deal on one side and Kemo is getting a shot on the other side. In addition, we have Colon, who most seem to think would be better at guard. And finally, don't forget about Mahan playing guard if we find a better center.

Personally, I am hoping we get a Center in the draft that can step up and play sometime during the season, or at the very least by, his second year. I think it would be shocking to see how much better our whole line would be if we could just fix that one position.

steelymcmatt
03-05-2008, 03:31 PM
You don't really think the Steelers would be that active in FA even if we had the cap room do you? .

No, that's not what I am saying. That's not who we are.....What I AM saying is that it is difficult to determine who we're going to draft until we look at the free-agent "leftovers". I would prefer to bring in a couple experienced players than untested rookies.

I'm not sure why you think we need VETERAN's for the O'line. We are not that young on the O'line (or anywhere else) as it is. It is skill that is our problem on the o'line, not a lack of experience..

By veteran, I'm referring to players with 3-5 years in the NFL so we have a real body of work to judge. I would prefer to let the rookies work their way into the lineup rather than have to start day one (ala Woodley, Timmons). For instance, although I don't think it will happen, I wouldn't mind giving up our 2nd round pick for Brown from Baltimore.

I don't see us going guard at all unless it is a BPA pick in the lower rounds or the guy can play multiple position. Simmons is signed to a long-term deal on one side and Kemo is getting a shot on the other side. In addition, we have Colon, who most seem to think would be better at guard. And finally, don't forget about Mahan playing guard if we find a better center..

After giving up over 40 sacks last year, I'm not sure any of them are the long-term answer, no less the short-term answer.

Personally, I am hoping we get a Center in the draft that can step up and play sometime during the season, or at the very least by, his second year. I think it would be shocking to see how much better our whole line would be if we could just fix that one position.

Again I'm not sure we want an untested rookie in that important a position....I'd rather bring in someone with some experience. IE Rex Hadnot from Miami.

Dylan
03-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Ok you want suggestions here we go.

1. If we sign anymore free agents they will most likely be special teams players, if not they might go after one veteran OL, but dobtful

2. we wont sign a CB in free agency because we would want youth for that position since we have Townsend, we could draft McKelvin

3. i dont know where you are getting the idea that we need veterans, we have plenty of veterans on the team. and we also have 2 on the line (Simmons and Smith) also we will probably keep starks

4. I do agree we need a WR, but once again we will be looking for youth at the position

steelymcmatt
03-20-2008, 09:11 AM
[QUOTE=Dylan;373546]Ok you want suggestions here we go.

1. If we sign anymore free agents they will most likely be special teams players, if not they might go after one veteran OL, but dobtful

SO MUCH FOR THAT THEORY (MAY WANT TO TRY SPELL CHECK)