PDA

View Full Version : How do we traditionally draft?

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Here is a break down of the last 5 years of the Cowher Era....to show how the Front Office has traditionally drafted.

The way it is broke down is by using the typical "draft value chart" in which the 1st overall pick is 3000 points...the 16th pick is 1,000 points....the 32 pick is 590 points...etc.

This draft value chart always includes the value of any picks traded for a Vet...or given up to sign a restricted free agent.

QB........1,302 points....Primarily Ben in round 1, and Omar Jacobs in round 5
RB/FB.......31 points....Really helps when your starter was an UDFA.
WR.......1,176 points...Holmes helps...lost value in Gibson and Reid.
TE............658 points...Primarily Heath Miller...Spaeth not counted on this chart.
OL........1,058 points...Mostly Starks in round 3 and Simmons in round 1
DL...........394 points...Alonzo Jackson bust and Brett Kiesel in round 7
LB.............69 points...Cowher liked Vets...Woodley and Timmons not on this chart
DB.......2,157 points...Have taken one on first day 5 out of 6 years

The better your draft..and the better you place yearly...the lower your total should be.
The Steelers total value over that time was 6,845 points...which is the lowest of any team in the NFL.

tony hipchest
03-05-2008, 12:19 PM
reading this type of research is what makes this site fun. good stuff (and not suprising).

Rhee Rhee
03-05-2008, 01:44 PM
we've given up so much for our CB's and none have really panned out... (except ike...) i think its about time another mel blount comes our way..

xXTheSteelKingsXx
03-05-2008, 02:39 PM
we've given up so much for our CB's and none have really panned out... (except ike...) i think its about time another mel blount comes our way..

BMac and Gay have shown some promise so far in their early careers but I agree, alot of busts a CB.

lilyoder6
03-05-2008, 05:05 PM
good post l-t-t i am amazed by the low points of the lb's ... and the parker thing is just funny,,,

19ward86
03-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Players like Clark Haggans, Joey Porter, and Aaron Smith is why the steelers are still great with a bad point total. Joey and Aaron were considered 1st-2nd round picks when they came out and yet we got them for a 3rd and a 4th. Clark was a 3rd-4th rounder and we got him in the 5th. Its the ricardo colclough's, alonzo jackson's, danny farmer, troy edwards, etc... that lower that point total for us. I dont think we will go after those types of guys, alonzo was a tweener, ricardo was a linky dude, danny was an average guy, troy was a mistake...i dont even remember why we drafted him. I know to load up our recieving core, but still...

Rhee Rhee
03-06-2008, 03:35 AM
Joey and Aaron were considered 1st-2nd round picks when they came out and yet we got them for a 3rd and a 4th

were they really? i have a wee bit of a hard time believing joey was a 1st round pick yet dropped to the third..

Galax Steeler
03-06-2008, 03:59 AM
good post l-t-t i am amazed by the low points of the lb's ... and the parker thing is just funny,,,

The points on parker is amazing.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-10-2008, 08:19 AM
were they really? i have a wee bit of a hard time believing joey was a 1st round pick yet dropped to the third..

Tweeners tend to drop as opposed to players that fit perfectly into systems....thats not uncommon.