PDA

View Full Version : G/C Rex Hadnot is visiting the Steelers Today

BlastFurnace
03-05-2008, 12:11 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Boy...they sure like having things under the radar.

Dino 6 Rings
03-05-2008, 12:48 PM
PPG has it now on their website. Interesting to see if we actually sign him. Depth is a sure fire need and apparently this guy could play Center as well. So that gives us Mahan at Gaurd if need be.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-05-2008, 12:52 PM

Boy...they sure like having things under the radar.

Rex Hadnot 6'2 325 26 years old....started 55 out of the last 63 games for the...*cough*....Dolphins.

Dino 6 Rings
03-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Depth is depth, I mean the Dolphins were bad, but they also had no QB, no Secondary, no Running back (not injured) and really no Wide Receivers. Yeah, they stunk, but it was a collective Stunk not just one guy. So maybe he can add depth and help us avoid having to draft 3 linemen this year.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Depth is depth, I mean the Dolphins were bad, but they also had no QB, no Secondary, no Running back (not injured) and really no Wide Receivers. Yeah, they stunk, but it was a collective Stunk not just one guy. So maybe he can add depth and help us avoid having to draft 3 linemen this year.

Point taken....It would be nice to make Mahan a backup.

steelymcmatt
03-05-2008, 01:04 PM
I like this addition....gives us some flexibility along the line. I think the injuries that the Dolphins suffered last year had more to do with their struggles than anything else.

Dylan
03-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Ill take any dolphins players. from what ive seen the past couple of years, after a player leaves mimai they start to do good. look at the patriots for example. welker, the fullback, a lot of them were big contributors.

OneForTheToe
03-05-2008, 01:30 PM
If we sign him, I am hoping he can play center. I really think we will be ok at guard. Simmons will hold down 1 spot and even if Kemo doesn't work out at the other, we still have possibilities with Mahan and Colon. IMO, OT and Center are bigger concerns even with the departure of Faneca.

Hapa
03-05-2008, 01:34 PM
That would be really nice to get a player like him

BlastFurnace
03-05-2008, 02:04 PM
If we get him, say goodbye to Starks. If Hadnot is in, we go OT or DL definitely in the first round.

It will be a really good offseason if we can reel in Wilson as well, but I don't have much hope there.

MasterOfPuppets
03-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Depth is depth, I mean the Dolphins were bad, but they also had no QB, no Secondary, no Running back (not injured) and really no Wide Receivers. Yeah, they stunk, but it was a collective Stunk not just one guy. So maybe he can add depth and help us avoid having to draft 3 linemen this year.or did they draft samson satele last year with the intentions of upgrading the position......:tap:....not to be pessamistic, but after the mahan debacle,i'm a little gun shy about second tier linemen.

OneForTheToe
03-05-2008, 02:57 PM
If we get him, say goodbye to Starks. If Hadnot is in, we go OT or DL definitely in the first round.

It will be a really good offseason if we can reel in Wilson as well, but I don't have much hope there.

I tend to agree with that BlastFurnace, but I am wondering about Marvel. If he is healthy he is by far out best OT. However, if the FO thinks he is on a downward trend would they take a chance and keep Starks over Smith? I'm not particuarly comfortable with that idea, I am just wondering. I would think that one of Smith, Starks or Mahan would be gone because between the three that is like 18 million dollars.

ChronoCross
03-05-2008, 03:04 PM

Actually the 3 games at LT and his performance in that spot makes me believe he is more of a LT then a RT. Starks gave up no sacks at that spot. And is projected to start LT. So I would not throw Starks to the wolves as of yet. Personally I was ready to dump Starks to until I seen his play at LT.

BlastFurnace
03-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Actually the 3 games at LT and his performance in that spot makes me believe he is more of a LT then a RT. Starks gave up no sacks at that spot. And is projected to start LT. So I would not throw Starks to the wolves as of yet. Personally I was ready to dump Starks to until I seen his play at LT.

I think Max played well enough to stay and possibly take over for Smith after next year as well. The only problem with all of this is if they can come to a long term deal for him and...considering that the Steelers are right against the cap...I don't see how they can sign Hadnot and Starks and be under the cap. I have both Ed Buchette Dale Lolley indicate that the Steelers will not sign Max if it means paying the $6 Million for this year alone.

One more thing to consider is that the team has tendered Essex, who looked pretty good in the playoff game at LT. He would cost much less than Starks and they might make Essex the swingman like they did with Starks.

I am wondering if they are looking at possibly putting Hadnot at Center and moving Mahan out to Guard. Personally, I would rather have Kemo at Guard instead of Mahan.

If we sign Hadnot, and I realize at this point it could be a big if...but I could see out line looking like this:

LT: Smith, Essex
LG: Mahan, Kemo
C: Hadnot, Stapleton
RG: Simmons, Kemo
RT: Colon, Rookie

Who knows...maybe Jason Capizzi will come in and be the stud of next years training camp.

ChronoCross
03-05-2008, 04:17 PM
I think Max played well enough to stay and possibly take over for Smith after next year as well. The only problem with all of this is if they can come to a long term deal for him and...considering that the Steelers are right against the cap...I don't see how they can sign Hadnot and Starks and be under the cap. I have both Ed Buchette Dale Lolley indicate that the Steelers will not sign Max if it means paying the $6 Million for this year alone.

One more thing to consider is that the team has tendered Essex, who looked pretty good in the playoff game at LT. He would cost much less than Starks and they might make Essex the swingman like they did with Starks.

I am wondering if they are looking at possibly putting Hadnot at Center and moving Mahan out to Guard. Personally, I would rather have Kemo at Guard instead of Mahan.

If we sign Hadnot, and I realize at this point it could be a big if...but I could see out line looking like this:

LT: Smith, Essex
LG: Mahan, Kemo
C: Hadnot, Stapleton
RG: Simmons, Kemo
RT: Colon, Rookie

Who knows...maybe Jason Capizzi will come in and be the stud of next years training camp.

We are trying to lower the number of Sacks and at a key position like LT were Smith gives up a lot of sacks, we really need to change starters there. Starks would be the best fit as far as I see from his play there this last season during them 3 games. It is well worth the shot and they are looking at Starks starting this coming season at LT. Which would be the most positive move to make. Next move would be to move Mahan to Guard were he belongs, Mahan gets glown up at center and misses blocks and that is not his true position anyways. If anyone should go it should be Marvel Smith. Last year I said starks should go and keep smith now I have changed my mind.

The Duke
03-05-2008, 04:51 PM
all I heard from dolphins fans is this guy was overpowered by defensive tackles, just like mahan

this may be a risk...

but if its for depth it wouldn't be bad

Stlrs4Life
03-05-2008, 04:53 PM
More on Hadnot:

Pro Career

2006: Started all 16 games at center, the second straight year in which he has opened all 16 contests ... Enters 2007 having started 39 straight games, including the last 19 at center ... Missed just 17 offensive snaps over the course of the season, 14 of which occurred vs. Green Bay (10/22) when he sustained a neck stinger ... Along with RT Vernon Carey, was one of only two Dolphins offensive linemen to start every game at the same position in 2006 ... Key part of a line that led the way for a running game which averaged 4.2 yards per carry ... Along with the Dolphins’ 4.3-yard per attempt in Hadnot’s first season as a full-time starter in 2005, it marks the first time the Dolphins have averaged better than a 4.0-yard average per carry in consecutive campaigns since 1986-87.

2005: Started all 16 games in which he played ... Opened the first 13 contests at right guard and the final three at center in place of the injured Seth McKinney (lower leg) ... Part of a line that yielded just 26 sacks, the fourth-lowest total in the NFL, and led a running game that averaged 118.6 yards an outing and 4.3 yards per rush attempt, which ranked seventh and fourth in the AFC, respectively ... Took part in every offensive snap in 14 of 16 contests over the course of the year.

2004: Started six times (five times at right guard and twice at left guard in place of the injured Jeno James), played in a reserve role seven times this season and did not play twice.

College Career

Four-year letterman and three-year starter at Houston ... Started all 13 games at center as a senior after playing guard his first three seasons ... Was named as a first-team All-Conference USA pick ... Did not allow a sack in more than 400 pass attempts ... Set team record with 196 knockdown blocks ... Played in the Hula Bowl following the season ... Started all 12 games as a junior at guard ... Named as a second team All-Conference USA choice ... Did not allow a sack in 11 of 12 games ... Named the Cougars’ Offensive Player of the Week for his performance against Texas as he graded out at 85-percent and recorded seven pancakes and 13 knockdowns ... Started 11 games as a sophomore ... Did not give up a sack ... Recorded 104 knockdown blocks ... Named Houston’s Offensive Player of the Week versus TCU and Southern Miss ... Had a season-high 19 knockdown blocks against Southern Miss ... Also had double-digit knockdown blocks against Cincinnati (12), South Florida (17) and Louisville (11) ... Played in all 11 games as a redshirt freshman ... Saw some action on the Cougars’ special teams unit, lining up on field goals and extra points ... Redshirted as a true freshman in 1999 ... Majored in economics.

Personal Bio

Engaged to Katalya Scott ... Attended Lufkin (Tex.) High School ... Was named the best offensive lineman in District 12-5A as a senior in 1998 ... Helped lead his team to a 10-4 overall record and the quarterfinals of the state playoffs as a senior ... Growing up, the San Francisco 49ers was his favorite sports team and Shaquille O’Neal was his favorite athlete ... Lists “The Rock” as favorite movie, “The Jamie Foxx Show” as favorite television show and “The Art of War” as favorite book ... Son of Eva Ashworth ... Is a cousin of former Texas Tech running back James Hadnot, a third-round draft choice of Kansas City in 1980 who played with the Chiefs through 1983 ... Full name is Jonathan Rex Hadnot, Jr., born January 28, 1982, in Lufkin, Texas.

lilyoder6
03-05-2008, 04:59 PM
i think starks is a better lt than marvel is b/c starks does have a preety big arm span and when he gets his arms fully extended i don't think he would let any one bye,,,

19ward86
03-05-2008, 05:05 PM
yeah another no name that will look for big bucks, wont say much cause i dont know anything about him.

Elvis
03-05-2008, 05:09 PM
:helmet:If I remember correctly the Dolphins had a pretty darn good running game with Brown, this guy must have been doing a pretty decent job along with the rest of that line. The Dolphins sure didnt have a passing game to keep the defense guessing.

Lord Stiller
03-05-2008, 05:28 PM
PPG has it now on their website. Interesting to see if we actually sign him. Depth is a sure fire need and apparently this guy could play Center as well. So that gives us Mahan at Gaurd if need be.

or better yet, Mahan on the bench

Rotorhead
03-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Whether they take him or not, I like the trend this off season, it is clear they interested in upgrading the lines dismal performance from last year. That is one of our 2 biggest weaknesses (the other being the def rush which should be improved already).

Mistah_Q
03-05-2008, 05:57 PM
If the angle of Stapleton starting works out, then I like Hadnot coming in a lot. I do not want him to be slated as a starter anywhere at all, but he can provide depth at all three interior positions, and is an upgrade over Mahan. (That isn't saying much, but. . . ) You have to maintain depth as well as improving your starters.

I hope that if he signs, that means Mahan and Parquet are sent packing. . .

dunkuntou
03-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Hadnot is looking for a contract in the range of $5 million per year...he probably won't get it but who knows. So he pretty muched priced himself out of our range

dunkuntou
03-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Also, he isn't very strong off the ball and won't be able to push guys back...forget him

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Hadnot is looking for a contract in the range of $5 million per year...he probably won't get it but who knows. So he pretty muched priced himself out of our range

got a source on this? thanks!

dunkuntou
03-05-2008, 08:08 PM
It's in an article in the Sun-Sentinel talking about how he left the visit with the Texans without and offer and is seeking around $5 million per yer.

The 6-2, 325-pound Hadnot told the Chronicle he was disappointed he wasn't given an offer by Houston and that he was scheduled to visit the Cleveland Browns.

Hadnot is seeking about $5 million per year.

Rex Hadnot (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-hadnot030508,0,226781.story)

Steeldude
03-06-2008, 12:18 AM
IMO, i think if he is signed he will be the starting C next season. well, at least he will be in the running. i am assuming stapleton and mahan will be competing also.

if it's true he is looking for $5 mil a season then i doubt he will be here. unless they plan on cutting mahan or some other players to make room.

Rhee Rhee
03-06-2008, 03:26 AM
I like this addition....gives us some flexibility along the line. I think the injuries that the Dolphins suffered last year had more to do with their struggles than anything else.

setttle down we didnt sign him yet...

and im hoping we dont...

as much as i like depth there's plenty of depth out there in the form of 22 year olds that run sub 5.2's

Galax Steeler
03-06-2008, 03:44 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing us sighn him but I don't see us paying him 5 million a year if he want's that much then bye bye.

dunkuntou
03-06-2008, 08:24 AM
setttle down we didnt sign him yet...

and im hoping we dont...

as much as i like depth there's plenty of depth out there in the form of 22 year olds that run sub 5.2's

40's don't mean much at all for offensive lineman. How many times do you need your guard to run 40 yards down field.

If you are looking for indicators look at bench press, vertical, broad jump and shuttle or cone. But 40 isn't a great tool for lineman.

fansince'76
03-06-2008, 09:02 AM
40's don't mean much at all for offensive lineman. How many times do you need your guard to run 40 yards down field.

If you are looking for indicators look at bench press, vertical, broad jump and shuttle or cone. But 40 isn't a great tool for lineman.

40 times are vastly overrated, period. It's the NFL, not the Olympics.

CanadianSteel
03-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Always wondered why they don't do at least some drills at the combine wearing equipment. A good 40 time is not necessarilly the same as "football speed".

They always talk how if a particular guy runs a sub 4.5 he moves into the first round etc..Give me the guy who looks ike a football player instead. Film review of game action is much more important IMHO.

Counselor
03-06-2008, 09:53 AM
Always wondered why they don't do at least some drills at the combine wearing equipment. A good 40 time is not necessarilly the same as "football speed".

They always talk how if a particular guy runs a sub 4.5 he moves into the first round etc..Give me the guy who looks ike a football player instead. Film review of game action is much more important IMHO.

The "football speed" thing is so true. The perfect example of it is when Hines Ward (who we all agree is not a fast WR) was running for a touch down and gaining significant ground on the secondary of the opposing team with one shoe! (he had lost the other at some point during the run). When the goal line is in sight he gets much faster! Anyone remember which game that was?

fansince'76
03-06-2008, 09:57 AM
The "football speed" thing is so true. The perfect example of it is when Hines Ward (who we all agree is not a fast WR) was running for a touch down and gaining significant ground on the secondary of the opposing team with one shoe! (he had lost the other at some point during the run). When the goal line is in sight he gets much faster! Anyone remember which game that was?

Yep, Atlanta in 2006 - the guy he beat? None other than DeAngelo Hall.

BlastFurnace
03-06-2008, 10:01 AM
If they are going to do a 40 time, they should have them in full football gear with obstacles in their way. Of course....players like Najeh Davenport would get arm tackled by a chair.

Dino 6 Rings
03-06-2008, 11:08 AM
LOL! Arm tackle by Chair!

BlastFurnace
03-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Hadnot is now a Stain