PDA

View Full Version : Faneca didnt want to be here?

jjpro11
03-05-2008, 05:25 PM
consider the source.. nevertheless.

POSTED 5:07 p.m. EST, March 5, 2008

FANECA SIMPLY WANTED OUT?

In response to our item from earlier in the day regarding the question of whether a decision by Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to accept a slightly smaller deal could have enabled the team to bridge the gap between the best offer made by the Steelers to guard Alan Faneca and the proposal he accepted in New York, a source with knowledge of the situation tells us that the Steelers offered Faneca only $1 million less over the first three years than what he'll make with the New York Jets.

"He wanted out," the source said.

Perhaps Faneca's desire to flee came from the team's refusal to give him a raise last year, when seven-year, $49 million contracts were being thrown around like Frisbees at a Frolf tournament, which then made Faneca decide that he would play anywhere but in Pittsburgh in 2008.

So maybe it wouldn't have mattered if the Steelers had been able to come up with a little bit more.

fansince'76
03-05-2008, 05:30 PM
He got $8 million per in NY (which he's no longer worth). Goodbye already. :coffee:

Stlrs4Life
03-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Let me guess? PFT?

stillers4me
03-05-2008, 05:32 PM
I have a feeling that by October, we'll all be saying "Alan who?"

Didn't we used to have some guy named Joey on our team??????????

skinart82
03-05-2008, 05:39 PM
If he didn't want to be there, then glad he's gone!

Borski
03-05-2008, 05:46 PM
If he didn't want to be there, then glad he's gone!

Agreed :coffee: cya Faneca, don't let the door hit ya on the way out

83-Steelers-43
03-05-2008, 05:54 PM
After making these statements in the past....

"This will be my last year as a Pittsburgh Steeler,"

and this....

"No, I don't want to be here," Faneca said flatly. "It's a matter of them being able to do what they can monetarily and come after me. That's the only reason I'm here, on that chance that they would."

and this....

"I've been asking since February to trade me, to let me go,"

and this....

"To make me go out there this year, play football with no security ... for what I've done for this organization, in my mind is not right."

why should I be surprised? The guy made it clear on more than one occasion that he no longer wanted to be here. Why is this breaking news?

Once again and for the last time (from me at least), take care Faneca and good luck. Have fun winning Super Bowl after Super Bowl with those Jets. :wave:

The horse is dead.

Elvis
03-05-2008, 05:54 PM
:tt02::tt02::tt02:
Osta... La....Vista....
BABY!!!!!
:wave:

lilyoder6
03-05-2008, 05:57 PM
it would of been nice to trade his over paided ass.. to get some good picks...

The Duke
03-05-2008, 05:58 PM

yeah, and he was stiff armed by Kellen clemens if I remember correctly :flap:

soon Faneca will be pushed to the ground by defensive backs in NY :thumbsup:

BlastFurnace
03-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Alan gave us 10 great years. He has said nice things about the Steeler Nation. I thank him for his services, glad he got paid and I wish him well. He'll always be one of us...just like all the rest who battled for us and left.

It's just today's NFL.

jjpro11
03-05-2008, 06:09 PM
So? He wanted to be hugely overpaid; we didn't want to hugely overpay him. So we let some other dumbasses make that mistake. This is news to no one.

the only thing that gets me is that it says we offered him only $1 mil less than what he got.

19ward86
03-05-2008, 06:10 PM
He was a guy who could drive a DT 10 yds past the line of scrimmage, then whether it was because he didnt want to be here or because he is getting older, he is now a good overall guy but not worth the money he got. Way too many players are getting overpayed right now and in the next 5 years i dont want to see what a guy like willie colon will be worth, not because i think he will be great, but because rates are increasing for average players.

slippy
03-05-2008, 07:02 PM
let's all stop the faneca bashing. we all say things we regret when it comes to money situations.

thanks alan and good luck in NYC (you'll need it). i hope you make it to the hall and go in as a steeler.

BTW, are the jets are the new redskins? what an awful start to the offseason for them. i hope they at least draft well.

tony hipchest
03-05-2008, 07:06 PM
for the 2nd time in his career, alan is the highest paid guard in the game. for the 1st time, its just not with the steelers.

market value and his pedigree justify this. he left because this is a business (job) that grown men dont play just for fun.

Atlanta Dan
03-05-2008, 07:19 PM
for the 2nd time in his career, alan is the highest paid guard in the game. for the 1st time, its just not with the steelers.

market value and his pedigree justify this. he left because this is a business (job) that grown men dont play just for fun.

Agreed - he achieved his non-financial professional goals when he got a ring, lost any loyalty to the organization when his buds Whiz & (particularly) Grimm were passed over, and then got in a nasty salary dispute. People change jobs for similar reasons all the time and nobody thinks anything about that is improper.

It is a business - Alan certainly was entitled to go for the gold and the Steelers (IMO properly) decided they were not going to sign that check

TackleMeBen
03-05-2008, 07:49 PM
yeah, and he was stiff armed by Kellen clemens if I remember correctly

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/beautifulgirl427/clemens.jpg

TackleMeBen
03-05-2008, 07:51 PM
as i have posted earlier this is just for faneca
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/beautifulgirl427/150_Pirate_web_pics_door_arse.jpg

tony hipchest
03-05-2008, 07:54 PM
faneca was on sirius today (perhaps delhess posted it in his thread).

he understands why the rooneys did what they did, and thinks ben is a great player and worth the money.

id rather take it straight from the horses mouth rather than speculate about what "sources" say.

revefsreleets
03-05-2008, 07:59 PM
There's no way the Steelers offered him only 1 million less.

No.

Way.

They aren't mentally retarded. The Jets are.

Edman
03-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Faneca made it abundantly clear he didn't want to be here. He slammed the Rooneys in the media and expressed distain with the Tomlin hire. He sucked last year on an atrocious O-Line and got in the Pro Bowl on reputation. Addition by Subtraction. Now it's time to make way for the future.

He got his money. Screw him.

Dylan
03-05-2008, 08:56 PM
we could of gave faneca 9 mil a year and he still would of complained. great player but is never happy

stillers4me
03-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Faneca made it abundantly clear he didn't want to be here. He slammed the Rooneys in the media and expressed distain with the Tomlin hire. He sucked last year on an atrocious O-Line and got in the Pro Bowl on reputation. Addition by Subtraction. Now it's time to make way for the future.

That pretty much says it all. :thumbsup:

lilyoder6
03-05-2008, 10:34 PM
i think it was a good move for him to say it other than going thru ppl.. faneca was good for us... and it went downhill for him when grimm and whiz was not hired.. oh well have fun in new york

Haiku_Dirtt
03-05-2008, 11:23 PM

Lots of love to Alan Faneca. He shouldn't be thrown under the bus for taking care of his family because he is one of the few I'd actually believe. And I believe he is worth $8 mil right now- maybe a little more. But not in Black and Gold and not with this line. He's not 21.

Now that's off my chest..."Alan who?"

Plugging Harrison in was genius. But James isn't alone. Alan was alone. Since all we have on roster is third string lineman plugs are no substitute for a levee. And I beg to disagree with John Madden about Max and his blocking his skills.

And keeping Max Starks on roster...well if there is only one girl not going to the prom and you don't have a date...:thud:

We are so screwed. Kevin!!!! Please!!! S.O.S

steeler dude
03-05-2008, 11:48 PM
faneca thanks for the hard work be prepared to work harder with the jets where the fans suck compared to steelers fans !~ i dont blame you for taking the extra 900,000 ! i mean make as much as you can u poor old man

steelwall
03-05-2008, 11:48 PM
Any guesses on what he'll complain about in NY first?

Haiku_Dirtt
03-06-2008, 12:17 AM
Any guesses on what he'll complain about in NY first?

Rats. And Rodents.

Rhee Rhee
03-06-2008, 04:30 AM
dude let him do and say what he likes... karma is a bitch... especially if u play for the crappy jets...

Galax Steeler
03-06-2008, 04:48 AM
It's all about money why would you play for a loosing team if it wasn't about the money.

delhess
03-06-2008, 07:01 AM
faneca will soon be over the hill. he is cashing in

zulater
03-06-2008, 07:14 AM

No he didn't suck last year. With the exception of one game he graded out quite high. He was easily the Steelers best and most consistent offensive lineman last season. He will be hard to replace. As far as Faneca leaving goes, I bear him no ill will. I respect the talent and work ethic he consistently displayed while a Steelers.

But I also get it, I understand it's a business and the Steelers generally know when it's time to cash out on a player. I guess my only problem is how incredibly short sighted the Steelers have become in regards to their offensive line. Can someone tell me what the plan is here? :dang: There's not so much as one returning lineman that I have anything close to approaching confidence in. That's not to say it's a complete and utter disaster, because things generally aren't that cut and dried. But to not acknowledge that there's far more questions than answers, and that the Steelers need to add through free agency or the draft at least two starters is absurd.

Counselor
03-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Faneca made it abundantly clear he didn't want to be here. He slammed the Rooneys in the media and expressed distain with the Tomlin hire. .

Ding ding ding we have a winner! The moment Tomlin was hired over Faneca's best friend Russ Grimm, that was the end of Faneca in Pittsburgh.

I liked Faneca, but it is clear that he's the type of guy that wears his heart on his sleeve (for better or worse). This wasn't just a business decision for him, it was at least partly personal. From his words and actions, he clearly felt Grimm got screwed by the Rooneys. Then his contract situation made him feel like he was being treated the same way. After the Tomlin hire, I don't care how fair the offer was, he wasn't signing here.

Edman
03-06-2008, 10:12 AM
He was easily the Steelers best and most consistent offensive lineman last season.

You say that as if that is something to be proud about. The unit as a whole surrendered 47 sacks. After allowing another 40+ the year before in 2006. When Faneca was still with the Steelers.

Faneca was the made the highest paid offensive lineman in the league when the Steelers gave him his last contract extension. Faneca wanted to cash in, the Steelers wouldn't bite, so they let him go to get his new contract. Faneca got his new contract, he's not a Steeler anymore, thanks for the memories Alan, bye. I wouldn't be down on him if he handled the contract dispute in a more professional manner than whining in the media. There is nothing wrong with wanting money as an athlete.

Even if the Rooneys were willing to negotiate, Faneca wasn't going to stay. It was HIM who opened his big mouth and shot himself out of Pittsburgh, not the Rooneys.

It's okay. Remember when Steeler fans were saying that we would miss Joey Porter?

zulater
03-06-2008, 11:06 AM
He was easily the Steelers best and most consistent offensive lineman last season.

You say that as if that is something to be proud about. The unit as a whole surrendered 47 sacks. After allowing another 40+ the year before in 2006. When Faneca was still with the Steelers.

Faneca was the made the highest paid offensive lineman in the league when the Steelers gave him his last contract extension. Faneca wanted to cash in, the Steelers wouldn't bite, so they let him go to get his new contract. Faneca got his new contract, he's not a Steeler anymore, thanks for the memories Alan, bye. I wouldn't be down on him if he handled the contract dispute in a more professional manner than whining in the media. There is nothing wrong with wanting money as an athlete.

Even if the Rooneys were willing to negotiate, Faneca wasn't going to stay. It was HIM who opened his big mouth and shot himself out of Pittsburgh, not the Rooneys.

It's okay. Remember when Steeler fans were saying that we would miss Joey Porter?

No one I knew or respected gave Porter's leaving a second thought. It's quite different with Faneca, he was everything the Steelers paid him to be last year. While the Steelers offensive line was problematic all year Faneca wasn't.

So in other words we take an acknowledged weakness, remove the only credible assett and now applaud ourselves for it? Brilliant! :screwy:

Dino 6 Rings
03-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Faneca had more False starts last season then I remember ever seeing him have. He also had a couple holding calls that blew me away during the games. His Head and his Heart was NOT in Pittsburgh, he made that clear. Yes, he may have been the "most consistant" Lineman on our team last season, but really, I think he was more a locker room poison than anything. How much "advise" do you think he gave the younger guys? How much help do you think he gave in practice. He knew, all year, it was his last year with the Steelers and did just enough, to get through the season without getting hurt. The line was so bad, that mistakes he made were over looked, and since he was the All Pro Vet, well, who would really call him out on it.

He wanted Russ, bottom line. When he didn't get his way, or his ridiculous pay raise, he complained and moaned and got himself off the team. Had he been the "I love Pittsburgh and expect we'll work something out" Guy last February, he'd still be a Steeler, almost 99% sure of that. But as soon as he came out and started with all the "unfair treatment" crap, he was pretty much pouring the gasoline and setting the Steel Bridge on Fire...not that Steel burns but its a metaphor.

Anyway, I wish him all the luck in the world on a team that hasn't done SHIIIIITTTT since 1969. Have a great time playing the Pats twice a year and say hello to Joey for me when you play the Fins and the resurging Parcells lead team twice a year.

Oh and enjoy the road trips to Buffalo every season...its a great town...well not really, its an armpit but they water feature is to die for.

pittpete
03-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Pisses me off that I bought my son a Faneca jersey 2 years ago.
At least the Troy and Ben jerseys will still be usefull for a few years.

Thanks for the good times Alan, have fun living in NY...
I'll trade ya houses:wink02:

augustashark
03-06-2008, 04:26 PM
No he didn't suck last year. With the exception of one game he graded out quite high. He was easily the Steelers best and most consistent offensive lineman last season. He will be hard to replace. As far as Faneca leaving goes, I bear him no ill will. I respect the talent and work ethic he consistently displayed while a Steelers.

But I also get it, I understand it's a business and the Steelers generally know when it's time to cash out on a player. I guess my only problem is how incredibly short sighted the Steelers have become in regards to their offensive line. Can someone tell me what the plan is here? :dang: There's not so much as one returning lineman that I have anything close to approaching confidence in. That's not to say it's a complete and utter disaster, because things generally aren't that cut and dried. But to not acknowledge that there's far more questions than answers, and that the Steelers need to add through free agency or the draft at least two starters is absurd.

You're pretty new here, but this was a nice post. Props to you.

FU Alan, you suck, take your money and put it where the sun don't shine..........ETC....

LOL,

Grow up Steeler fans.

Preacher
03-06-2008, 04:51 PM
This is a pretty tough crowd!

Is there no one here who at times gets unhappy about something and bitches and moans about it? It just so happens that Alan has a little higher profile than most of us and his complaints get published. Get a grip people. Alan played his ass off for us for many years, performed at a Pro Bowl level..... and then gets bashed by the fans on his way out of town. :dang:

There isn't a person here who would not take the kind of wage increase Alan did if it was offered to them by a competitor.......... and there's not a person here who wouldn't gripe about it if they knew the company next door was paying their employees a boat load more money than they were earning performing the same job.

Hey LL4L..

I gotta disagree with you here. Faneca was complaining about not getting paid what he was worth. He kept talking last year about how much he was a team man. Then, when we come in, just 900,000 below what he was asking for, he still walks... which means changing teams, selling and buying a home, going to a place where the cost of living (in having the same type of home) will eat up most of that money, not to mention the increase in insurance, electricity, etc...

He wanted out because he was ticked at the organization. Now, the question is why? I can only think of two answers. 1. he wanted a contract last year. The answer to that is... too bad. That is the business of football. or 2. He is still ticked that his coaches weren't hired. Which... a gain.. too bad.

either one of those situations are things you simply deal with as a player. If he states that he wants to be part of the organization, then be part of it. If not, then not. But don't say you want to be a part of it... then demand it on your own terms.

Its no wonder our fans are ticked at him. I have been ready for him to jump ship since last year.

tony hipchest
03-06-2008, 05:02 PM
other sources report that faneca was ticked off because everytime he would walk into the locker room, big ben would yell out "Hey, look! Its the great pumpkin, Charlie Brown!".

83-Steelers-43
03-06-2008, 05:10 PM
I have no problem with Faneca wanting more cash. More power to him. It is a business. We as fans should understand and accept his decision. At the same time, it's too bad Faneca couldn't come to terms with that fact. Instead he decided to go off on this organization, the same organization who made him the highest paid guard in the league at one point in time.

This guy made it sound like the Rooney's were paying him peanuts, while keeping him locked up in a cage at nights with a bucket and a newspaper. Give me a break. Yeah, my view of Faneca changed after his little rant. What do you expect from the majority of the fans in this city? You are bashing the organization because they were making a smart business move. Were some expecting a good-bye parade down Grant Street for the guy?

Then he went on the whole "I'm playing this last season and I'm taking a gamble with my career" rant. He was under contract and getting paid for that season! If he wanted to blame anybody, he should've blamed his agent or himself for accepting the deal in the first place. It's not the like the Rooney's told him to get out there and play for free. He was getting paid for Pete's sake.

Eh, doesn't matter. He's gone. I'm NOW officially done with the Faneca topic.

Preacher
03-06-2008, 07:41 PM
No one I knew or respected gave Porter's leaving a second thought. It's quite different with Faneca, he was everything the Steelers paid him to be last year. While the Steelers offensive line was problematic all year Faneca wasn't.

So in other words we take an acknowledged weakness, remove the only credible assett and now applaud ourselves for it? Brilliant! :screwy:

That's where I disagree. I purposefully watched him last year. A number of times, on sacks, I stopped, rewound the DVR, and watched him. I couldn't believe the number of times he got beat. The numbers don't tell the story, because Ben gets flushed out, and right into another guys arms... thus it was that guys blocker that gets the sack against him, but Faneca was still at fault.

Faneca is a one trick pony. He can explode out against the run. Great. But that isn't our team anymore. We need someone that can create and keep a pocket. Faneca can't, so it is time to say :wave:.

If he didn't have his rant last year... well, then I would be sad to see him go on account of the work he put in. However, after that rant... well.. I really don't care now.

fansince'76
03-06-2008, 11:07 PM
If he didn't have his rant last year... well, then I would be sad to see him go on account of the work he put in. However, after that rant... well.. I really don't care now.

Exactly. He got his big payday and he's gone now. I'm not crying over spilled milk - it's the Jets' cap he'll be counting as millions in dead money against in about 3 years, not ours.

Preacher
03-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Exactly. He got his big payday and he's gone now. I'm not crying over spilled milk - it's the Jets' cap he'll be counting as millions in dead money against in about 3 years, not ours.

Yep. thats about it.

steelwall
03-07-2008, 03:12 AM
I personally do not dis-like Faneca, and noone can deny he was an outstanding blocker for 99% of his career with the Steelers, for this I thank him.

However ........ TEAM

In my opinion a team player does not come out in public and down his own teamates, coaches and organization (which he did) Seems to me that for the last 4 odd seasons something would allways come out in the media about something Faneca said. From Big Ben, to Tomlin, to his contract...blah...blah

You are a proffesional, and should act as such. You get paid money that most of us could only dream of, keep your gripes either to yourself or inside the organization, otherwise, going to the media with them is only detremental to the TEAM.

Yes, our O-line is going to be the BIG question mark this year, and frankly we need all the help we can get, but I can't help but think the locker room will be a better place without his presence.

zulater
03-07-2008, 07:10 AM
That's where I disagree. I purposefully watched him last year. A number of times, on sacks, I stopped, rewound the DVR, and watched him. I couldn't believe the number of times he got beat. The numbers don't tell the story, because Ben gets flushed out, and right into another guys arms... thus it was that guys blocker that gets the sack against him, but Faneca was still at fault.

Faneca is a one trick pony. He can explode out against the run. Great. But that isn't our team anymore. We need someone that can create and keep a pocket. Faneca can't, so it is time to say :wave:.

I pay particuliar attention to the offensive line as well when I review games, and outside of the Cardinals game where Faneca ( among others) was atrocious, which game(s) was he less assett than liability? Yes he gave up a sack here and there, but in nearly every game Faneca graded out as the Steelers best offensive lineman last year.

Sorry but I'm not sipping on that koolaid, I still don't see where losing your best offensive lineman is a positive? :wtf:

Look I understand how the NFL works, and under normal circumstances this sort of happenstance wouldn't bother me so much. In a way NFL free agency is akin to the old movie Logan's run, you turn 30 and you're number's up. And more often than not in the past the Steelers have chosen wisely in regard to who to allow to walk and when . And you can even make the case that they've been burned badly a few times when they 've deviated from this M.O.. ( Jason Gildon comes immediatly to mind)

But the problem here is that for several straight offseasons the Steelers have done a pitiful job in maintaining cohesive offensive line depth.

stlrtruck
03-07-2008, 08:37 AM
IBut the problem here is that for several straight offseasons the Steelers have done a pitiful job in maintaining cohesive offensive line depth.

Now this I couldn't agree with more. If we look back to the year before Ben was signed, the O-line was terrible, the following year (after having time to gel) they were awesome, and finally the SB year - they were again a good cohesive unit.

Last year, not so much and it seems like Ben is going to be scrambling more this year than last because the o-line doesn't have much playing time together and that is as important as anything.

Dino 6 Rings
03-07-2008, 09:50 AM
I agree with Preacher on this topic and I'm pretty sure during the season Preacher and I both pointed out "mess ups" by Faneca the day after games, including holding, getting beat and ill timed falst starts.

The guy didn't want to be a Steeler any longer. He said it, so be it. Enjoy New York and the dope smoking Jets fans that care more about their weed and beer than they do the product on the field.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Faneca didn't want to be a Steeler before the season began. He ripped the Rooneys for hiring Tomlin. I think he made comments about the release of Jeoy Porter. He ripped the Rooneys for "making" him play without any gaurantee of future contract (but with all the money he has made over the life of his career, I assume if he had ended up with a career-ending injury last season himself and his family would be fine).

But one thing he did that many disgruntled players don't do is show up for mandatory practices and workouts. He showed up and played every game. He played to the best of his abilities (IMHO) with what he had around him.

Alan, I thank you for your decade of service to the Pittsburgh Steelers. You have now moved on, and are now the enemy.

Have fun being a Jet. No franchise quarterback, no running back that's any good, and a bad defense. Best player on the team last year was the kick returner. Yeah, have fun with that.

zulater
03-07-2008, 11:11 AM
I agree with Preacher on this topic and I'm pretty sure during the season Preacher and I both pointed out "mess ups" by Faneca the day after games, including holding, getting beat and ill timed falst starts.

The guy didn't want to be a Steeler any longer. He said it, so be it. Enjoy New York and the dope smoking Jets fans that care more about their weed and beer than they do the product on the field.

Of course he wasn't perfect, remember the guy lining up across from him is a proffesional with expectations of performance as well. But with the exception of the Cardinals game he had a very good year last year.

Someone brought up Porter earliar on in this thread, well here's the difference between that and this. In James Harrison the Steelers had an able replacement in waiting, as it turns out a significant upgrade at that. This time I don't see that being the case, if Kemoeatu couldn't beat Kendall Simmons out of a job I have a hard time believing that he'll adequately replace Faneca. You complain about Faneca's occasional false start, Kemo's a player that's notorius for not knowing the playbook. How do you think that will play out over a season? :confused: :dang:

It's not about Faneca to me, it's about where the Steelers currently stand and what can be done about it. My problem stems from the fact that the Steelers have lost a quality offensive lineman each of the last two offseasons and haven't made an adequate reciprocal move in turn. In fact when you get right down to it the Steelers haven't added a high quality offensive lineman since the signing of Jeff Hartings prior to the 2001 season. Just think about that for a few seconds and then tell me how losing Faneca isn't a big deal? :banging:

Dino 6 Rings
03-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Losing a guy that didn't want to be here and was a poison to the younger guys in the locker room by bad mouthing the hiring of the coach and bad mouthing the ownership isn't a big deal. Yes, not addressing O-line in last year's draft especially, was a poor decision. 2 linebackers...well I didn't like that choice then, and its apparent, they will address Oline this year, more than just once. Bet we take 3 O-linemen in this draft by the time its over.

We won't be drafting a punter, a kicker, a qb, a running back or tight ends.

It'll be all O-line, D-line maybe a WR late and Secondary.

zulater
03-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Losing a guy that didn't want to be here and was a poison to the younger guys in the locker room by bad mouthing the hiring of the coach and bad mouthing the ownership isn't a big deal. Yes, not addressing O-line in last year's draft especially, was a poor decision. 2 linebackers...well I didn't like that choice then, and its apparent, they will address Oline this year, more than just once. Bet we take 3 O-linemen in this draft by the time its over.

We won't be drafting a punter, a kicker, a qb, a running back or tight ends.

It'll be all O-line, D-line maybe a WR late and Secondary.

With all due respect, that's your opinion Dino, I have yet to see anything tangible to suggest that Faneca was a bad actor or influence in the locker room. In fact Tomlin more than once has said just the opposite was true. I've been to training camp and can tell you that without fail Alan Faneca was always the last to leave the field. To me when you have arguably your most accomplished player display the strongest work ethic that resonates a lot louder with young players than a few off season contract grumblings.

Jeremy
03-07-2008, 01:22 PM
With all due respect, that's your opinion Dino, I have yet to see anything tangible to suggest that Faneca was a bad actor or influence in the locker room. In fact Tomlin more than once has said just the opposite was true. I've been to training camp and can tell you that without fail Alan Faneca was always the last to leave the field. To me when you have arguably your most accomplished player display the strongest work ethic that resonates a lot louder with young players than a few off season contract grumblings.

Let it go. You're not going to win that argument with anyone here.

zulater
03-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Let it go. You're not going to win that argument with anyone here.

Yeah but what the hell, it never hurts to try. :chuckle:

Jeremy
03-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Yeah but what the hell, it never hurts to try. :chuckle:

Actually it does. I've fought enough losing battles around here to know when it's a good time to fight and when it's a good time to let the sheep roam.

Dino 6 Rings
03-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Did you just call me a sheep Jeremy?

Steel Buckeye
03-07-2008, 10:35 PM

I also agree. I noticed Faneca getting beat an awful lot and an increase in penalties. It seemed like he just didn't care anymore. I'd rather see a rookie or less talented player that cares about winning than a big, pouting baby like Faneca.

fansince'76
03-07-2008, 10:40 PM

Fine, here's a cookie for Faneca then. :cookie: Doesn't change the fact that he's gone now, does it? Like I said earlier, I'm not crying over spilled milk. I appreciated his years with the Steelers, but I'm sorry, I did not appreciate his whinefest to the press last Spring. He got his big payday elsewhere and I'm happy for him. Time to move on.

MACH1
03-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Fine, here's a cookie for Faneca then. :cookie: Doesn't change the fact that he's gone now, does it? Like I said earlier, I'm not crying over spilled milk. I appreciated his years with the Steelers, but I'm sorry, I did not appreciate his whinefest to the press last Spring. He got his big payday elsewhere and I'm happy for him. Time to move on.

Didnt we go threw this last year with porter? And look how that turned out. As far as faneca goes, loved him as a steeler but now he's the enemy. Get over it people. The sky isn't falling just yet

Steel Buckeye
03-07-2008, 10:57 PM
I hope that we draft Branden Albert, and he has an exceptional rookie season. Maybe then we won't have to hear about Faneca anymore.

zulater
03-07-2008, 11:02 PM
I see the koolaid flows strong here. Sorry but I prefer my drink a little stronger. :coffee:

zulater
03-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Didnt we go threw this last year with porter? And look how that turned out. As far as faneca goes, loved him as a steeler but now he's the enemy. Get over it people. The sky isn't falling just yet

Unless you can point me in the direction of the offensive line equivalent of James Harrison that's a seriously flawed analogy you've trotted out there. :dang:

MACH1
03-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Unless you can point me in the direction of the offensive line equivalent of James Harrison that's a seriously flawed analogy you've trotted out there. :dang:

Get over it he's gone. :dang:

Jeremy
03-07-2008, 11:33 PM
Did you just call me a sheep Jeremy?

Well....are you one?

fansince'76
03-07-2008, 11:52 PM
I see the koolaid flows strong here. Sorry but I prefer my drink a little stronger. :coffee:

Yep, it's really helpful to dwell on a guy who isn't here anymore. I wish we still had MJG, LC, Dwight and Fats up front on the DL with Lambert, Russell and Ham backing them, but that's about as likely to happen as Faneca ever wearing a Steelers uniform again. Get over it. :coffee:

zulater
03-08-2008, 12:10 AM
Yep, it's really helpful to dwell on a guy who isn't here anymore. I wish we still had MJG, LC, Dwight and Fats up front on the DL with Lambert, Russell and Ham backing them, but that's about as likely to happen as Faneca ever wearing a Steelers uniform again. Get over it. :coffee:

It's not about dwelling over Faneca at all. It's about addressing the mindset that ignores how we got to this point to begin with. :dang: The offensive line has been miserably mishandled by the Steelers for several years now and this is simply symptomatic of that.

So I'm glad you're on board with the Steelers master plan, but sorry to say I just don't see it. :hypno:

Preacher
03-08-2008, 12:20 AM
It's not about dwelling over Faneca at all. It's about addressing the mindset that ignores how we got to this point to begin with. :dang: The offensive line has been miserably mishandled by the Steelers for several years now and this is simply symptomatic of that.

So I'm glad you're on board with the Steelers master plan, but sorry to say I just don't see it. :hypno:

I understand what your saying, but I don't completely agree.

We have been a run first team for years. The O line has had to shoot out to block. The problem is, when they go to a balanced team, the O line has to be able to pass block week after week as well.

I don't think it is a mishandling, I think it is a change of focus. Don't forget the coaching change that comes with that change of focus as well.

On top of all that, we had a number of players that aged out about the same time, and had/has to be replaced. KEY players.

I agree we may have been shortsighted, but that also comes from a coach trying to get it done now... instead of later. Cowher did, and we got a ring for it.

fansince'76
03-08-2008, 12:21 AM
It's not about dwelling over Faneca at all.

Yeah, right. You did everything but pin a boy scout merit badge on the guy.

I have yet to see anything tangible to suggest that Faneca was a bad actor or influence in the locker room. In fact Tomlin more than once has said just the opposite was true. I've been to training camp and can tell you that without fail Alan Faneca was always the last to leave the field. To me when you have arguably your most accomplished player display the strongest work ethic that resonates a lot louder with young players than a few off season contract grumblings.

Nice try, but I've been on record more than once around here regarding how bad I feel the OL has gotten. It's the weak spot on the team right now, IMO. No Kool-Aid drinking here.

zulater
03-08-2008, 12:31 AM
I understand what your saying, but I don't completely agree.

We have been a run first team for years. The O line has had to shoot out to block. The problem is, when they go to a balanced team, the O line has to be able to pass block week after week as well.

I don't think it is a mishandling, I think it is a change of focus. Don't forget the coaching change that comes with that change of focus as well.

On top of all that, we had a number of players that aged out about the same time, and had/has to be replaced. KEY players.

I agree we may have been shortsighted, but that also comes from a coach trying to get it done now... instead of later. Cowher did, and we got a ring for it.

I follow what you're saying, it's just with Faneca gone there's not a single current starter that I would want to see still in their present position as little as two seasons from now. Unless Marvel Smith comes back to full strength and is resigned ( god only knows how much money that would take?) you're looking at a strong possibility of completely revamping your line in the next couple offseasons. Not saying it can't be done, but it sure wont be easy .

I'm looking foward to seeing at least one rookie starter next season on the line. So yeah eventually things could work out for the best. But I just think things could have been a little easiar if we had made a more concerted effort to keep Faneca and had allowed Simmons to walk instead.

Oh well here's to a strong draft. :cheers:

zulater
03-08-2008, 12:36 AM
Yeah, right. You did everything but pin a boy scout merit badge on the guy.

No I just tried to give an honest assessment of his relative value to the team and wont buy into the addition by subtraction theory curently in vogue with some of you.

fansince'76
03-08-2008, 12:38 AM
No I just tried to give an honest assessment of his relative value to the team and wont buy into the addition by subtraction theory curently in vogue with some of you.

Where did I say "addition by subtraction?" Fact remains, he's still gone.

zulater
03-08-2008, 05:30 AM
Where did I say "addition by subtraction?" Fact remains, he's still gone.

These are all direct quotes lifted from the more recent pages of this thread.

Preacher and I both pointed out "mess ups" by Faneca the day after games, including holding, getting beat and ill timed falst starts.

Losing a guy that didn't want to be here and was a poison to the younger guys in the locker room by bad mouthing the hiring of the coach and bad mouthing the ownership isn't a big deal

it's the Jets' cap he'll be counting as millions in dead money against in about 3 years, not ours.

I can't help but think the locker room will be a better place without his presence

He sucked last year on an atrocious O-Line and got in the Pro Bowl on reputation. Addition by Subtraction.

In response to above post....

Ding ding ding we have a winner! The moment Tomlin was hired over Faneca's best friend Russ Grimm, that was the end of Faneca in Pittsburgh

I'm not pinning these quotes on you, but as I said I was addressing a general attitude that's in evidence here.

And yes I know he's gone, but it's March there's not a whole lot happening at the moment and I see nothing wrong with commenting on the defection of a guy who gave us a decade of quality play and what impact it may have on the season ahead.

zulater
03-08-2008, 05:50 AM
I'll offer one last thing and then bow out of this topic. I think this all goes back to Hines Ward and the way his contract situation was handled by the team a few years back. Ward's contract was addressed in the media by the team as a must do priority with over a year to go on it and the club opened up the line of communication with his agent without being prodded. Ward still held out once camp opened despite having a year remaining on his contract.

So putting on my amateur shrink hat I'll guess that Faneca thought given his prior contributions he was entitled to the same considerations. Instead the club stonewalled him when he approached them and more or less said we'll get back to you in our time,... maybe. Anyway at least from his perspective I'm sure that's how it resonated, so yes once it got to July and the team still hadn't opened up the lines of communication it was in effect over. So yes there was some ego involved with Faneca's handling of the situation, but in my opinion it wasn't an unreasonable responce given the established precedent of Ward's contract.

In conclusion I can disagree with yet still understand the postition that the Steelers took, and the same is true with Faneca. So I wont throw rocks at him on his way out the door for the decision he made.