PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Of All-Time?

Elvis
03-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Now, I know this is a Steelers Forrum, but I would like for all the true NFL fans that we are to be honest with this one.
Which QB is the Greatest that you have ever seen play?
Dan Marino
Brett Favre
Joe Montana
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Terry Bradshaw
Steve Young
Roger Staubach
Troy Aikman
Jim Kelly
If you have someone to mention.. feel free to add your own player.
I just think that QB's with 4 super bowl tittles are hard to pass on in my opinion.

:tt02:

The Duke
03-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Favre

4 super bowls is big, but Favre has at least one and tons of qualities(and records) that make him the best in my opinion

though I believe the general opinion is Montana is the best

ShutDown24
03-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Unitas
Starr
Montana
Brady
Favre
Bradshaw
Aikman
Marino
Manning
Staubach

PisnNapalm
03-05-2008, 06:15 PM
For pure QB skills...? Of the QB's that I have seen in my life time.

Dan Marino
John Elway
Joe Montana
Peyton Manning
Terry Bradshaw

I think those are my top five.

Favre has been good for a long time, but he was always good for an untimely interception or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5.... I really did not like that about him.

MasterOfPuppets
03-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Unitas
Starr
Montana
Brady
Favre
Bradshaw
Aikman
Marino
Manning
Staubach Which QB is the Greatest that you have ever seen play?............:wink02:

The Patriot
03-05-2008, 06:38 PM
I don't think there is an accurate way to compare QBs since they are greatly influenced by the players around them and circumstance.

fansince'76
03-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Marino was the best pure passer I've ever seen, but it's subjective.

MasterOfPuppets
03-05-2008, 06:41 PM
montana
elway
marino
farve
manning
brady *
staubach
bradshaw
kelly
aikman

PisnNapalm
03-05-2008, 08:01 PM
As fansince'76 said, Marino is the best pure passing QB I've ever seen. I watched him some when he played for Pitt.

If Marino had the benefit of a good running game and a defense, I know that the 'phins would have won multiple championships. He never had a good running game to help him out. Atleast not one that I remember. He had good receivers, but it is difficult to get them the ball when they're double covered coz the defense doesn't respect your run game.

Elway... He's just downright scary when he's got the ball with 2 minutes left and down by 3 points. But... He never won a championship until they had a good running game. The run opens up the pass and vice versa.

Montana.... I never thought his arm strength was super but he could just pick you apart with the short game and runs after the catch. Again he had a good running game to help him.

Manning... He is the one that I think could challenge Marino for best pure passer. Yet again... He didn't win until he had a good running attack. I know they had Edgerin James a while back, but their defense was horrid back then. Manning can be frazzled if you hit him enough though. I don't recall Marino losing his cool.

Bradshaw... I don't actually remember much from his playing days, but I do know this. He was a 2 time superbowl MVP. I know that he called his own plays and lead the Steelers to 4 championships. While not the most gifted passer ever, he knew how to use his receivers and running backs to their fullest. He also benefited from an outstanding running game and defense.

I realize there are lots of great QB's I haven't touched upon, but for me... They are my picks.

SteelCurtain
03-05-2008, 08:53 PM
The GREATEST QB I have ever seen play would have to be the "future hall of famer" KORDELL STEWART:rofl:

Seriously though, it would definitely have to be Dan Marino. Simply amazing...

CantStop85
03-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Dan Marino...honorable mention to Brett Favre.

Godfather
03-05-2008, 09:14 PM
I agree with Duke. Gotta go with Brett.

He's the football equivalent of Cy Young, Pete Rose, Hank Aaron, AND Cal Ripken.

GBMelBlount
03-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Bart Starr.

Elvis
03-06-2008, 05:38 AM
If Marino had the benefit of a good running game and a defense, I know that the 'phins would have won multiple championships. He never had a good running game to help him out. Atleast not one that I remember. He had good receivers, but it is difficult to get them the ball when they're double covered coz the defense doesn't respect your run game.
:thumbsup:
That being said... How about this Guy?
Dan Fouts
He was one of the top 3 or 4 pure passers of all-time in my opinion.

LambertIsGod58
03-06-2008, 10:11 AM
I'd say it's between Favre and Marino. And remember Favre never had a top notch running back IMO. He also only had an elite receiver in Sterling Sharpe for his career. I'd say that Favre gets the notch with his streak of 253 consecutive starts, the 3 MVP's and the most 30TD pass seasons and two SB appearances. As far as Bradshaw getting mentioned, I realize that the four SB rings are huge. I do. However, pure QB Bradshaw never had big numbers due to the running game being key until '78. Bradshaw was never the everday starter until midway through the 1975 or 76 season I believe.

PisnNapalm
03-06-2008, 10:33 AM
I know Bradshaw's numbers don't stack up well against the rest of the top all time QB's but, I'm a Steelers fan. :tt02: I had to put him in my top 5. :thumbsup:

Dino 6 Rings
03-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Terry Bradshaw. He won 4 Superbowls and did it by beating Fran Tarkenton and Roger Staubach twice. 2 Hall of Fame QBs, in 3 games.
Joe Montana. He won 4 Superobowls and did it by beating John Elway and Dan Marino. 2 Hall of Fame QBs
Troy Aikmen won 3 superbowls and Beat Jim Kelly Twice. One Hall of Fame QB
Tom Brady, won 3 superbowls and beat Donovan McNabb, One hall of fame QB
John Elway, won 2 superbowls appeared in 5, beat Brett Favre, Hall of Fame QB
Roger Staubach, won 2 superbowls, beat Bob Greise Hall of Fame QB.
Bart Starr, won 2 superbowls, beat Kenny Dawson, Hall of Fame QB.
Brett Favre won 1 Superbowl and broke all kinds of records and had a 17 year carreer that was amazing. 3 time League MVP.
Dan Marino lost 1 superbowl to Joe Montana of all people, and set all the records Brett broke (except carreer ints) and every record that every qb is attempting to break.
Jim Kelly, lead his team to 4 consecutive Superbowl Appearance

Dino 6 Rings
03-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Terry Bradshaw was the QB of the Greatest Dynasty of All Time.

Stu Pidasso
03-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Fure pure leadership, passing, audible-ing, and poise, I gotta go with Joe Montana or John Elway.

steeler43pa
03-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Now, I know this is a Steelers Forrum, but I would like for all the true NFL fans that we are to be honest with this one.
Which QB is the Greatest that you have ever seen play?
Dan Marino
Brett Favre
Joe Montana
Peyton Manning
Terry Bradshaw
Steve Young
Roger Staubach
Troy Aikman
Jim Kelly
If you have someone to mention.. feel free to add your own player.
I just think that QB's with 4 super bowl tittles are hard to pass on in my opinion.

Sorry but I had to fix this. Add more but that cheater is not a QB let alone a good one.

polamalu82
03-06-2008, 04:49 PM
I'd say Marino. Great accuracy,long ball, quickest release ever He's the best I've seen in my life of 25 years. One more thing. Having any current QB in the "Greatest of All-Time" list is unfair to them.

NJarhead
03-06-2008, 04:57 PM
The QB that most impressed me (in my time) was Joe Montana hands down.
However, if I could be like any QB I've seen it would be Brett.
If it was to go to the Village People concert (and if I were "light in the loafers") Tom Brady.

tony hipchest
03-06-2008, 05:38 PM
im sure this will be looked at as sacrilige, and nobody probably agrees with me BUT...

montana was the beneficiary of tons of money freely spent in an uncapped era.

aikman was the beneficiary of tons of draft picks acquired
via the herschel walker trade coupled with a 1-15 season.

brady was a beneficiary of tons of cheating.

those are team accomplishments, and the qb's are highly regarded for a number of rings as opposed to individual "greatness". as a terry bradshaw fan, i can understand this.

however, with all things being equal, if i had the 52 best players to fill a roster and had to choose the "greatest" qb ive ever seen, i would take

brett favre
dan marino
jim kelly
warren moon
steve young
peyton manning
john elway

before all of them. i have to leave out fouts because even though he was 1 of my favorite players (i lived in cali), i was a little too young to understand or remember how good he really was on a game by game basis.

polamalu82
03-06-2008, 06:13 PM
im sure this will be looked at as sacrilige, and nobody probably agrees with me BUT...

brady was a beneficiary of tons of cheating.

I couldn't agree more!!:thumbsup::sofunny:

Elvis
03-07-2008, 05:24 AM
Sorry but I had to fix this. Add more but that cheater is not a QB let alone a good one.
Just think about what you just said and then Really.... Really question your
ability to see what a pretty darn QB looks like. yeah, there is alot of junk with this spygate thing.. but the man still had to make the passes and make them at the right time and the man has done this time after time. So, think before you say things..
:coffee:

stlrtruck
03-07-2008, 07:28 AM
Just think about what you just said and then Really.... Really question your
ability to see what a pretty darn QB looks like. yeah, there is alot of junk with this spygate thing.. but the man still had to make the passes and make them at the right time and the man has done this time after time. So, think before you say things..
:coffee:

It's been stated before, it's easy to throw a pass to a spot that you know is going to be open if you have inside information on the defensive formation and the alignment that they run. So I'd have to agree with the previous post that he benefited from the videos, knowing where the blitz was coming from, adding the additional blockers and knowing automatically where zones were going to be makes it easier to throw a pass to that location - rather than having to scramble for your life and then make a play....

Michael Keller
03-07-2008, 08:10 AM
If I were drafting one Q B it would be Marino hands down. Elway, Peyton Manning,
Unitas, Bradshaw. & Aikman. These guys are your best pure QB's.

Bret Fvare , best football player playing QB, is in a special category of Greatness.

Dino 6 Rings
03-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Sorry Folks, but who was the QB (head man) of the Greatest Dynasty in the history of the Universe?

That would be Terry Bradshaw.

Bottom line. yes he had tons of talent around him, but what great QB doesn't (Well Marino) 4 rings, 6 years, 2 SB MVPs. The man called his own plays, and lead a team to victory time and time again. Every man on that team had a special part, but only ONE touched the ball on every single offensive snap. And that my friends is your Greatest QB of all time.

Montana is second.

Look at who they had to beat on the big stage. That's important to me. Beating the Roger Staubach lead Dallas Cowboys in the 70s wasn't easy once, let alone twice. Montana beat Marino and Elway, who has Brady beat? Delhoume? McNabb? Warner? Really...do those 3 even make the top 25 all time? Maybe Donnovan but really, it isn't like Brady played "stud qbs" on the other side. And lately, he's been losing to stud QBs. Well one stud and a younger brother.

Its about wins, and who you won against to me. And Terry, beat Tarkenton, and Staubach twice. Montana beat Elway and Marino.

Elway beat Favre on the big stage.
Aikmen beat Kelly on the big stage twice.

The Superbowl is where Legends are made. The Superbowl is where the Greatest of all time step up and perform. Who ever has the most SB wins against the best and toughest competition, they win for me.

And Terry beat a fellow HOF QB 3 times in 4 SBs.

No one will top that. Ever.

lilyoder6
03-07-2008, 08:50 AM
i would have to say that joe montana was just a great qb in his time with the 49er's.. due to the fact he had the best wr in the game during that time as well... then i would have to say the favre would be in my top 3....

CantStop85
03-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Sorry Folks, but who was the QB (head man) of the Greatest Dynasty in the history of the Universe?

That would be Terry Bradshaw.

Bottom line. yes he had tons of talent around him, but what great QB doesn't (Well Marino) 4 rings, 6 years, 2 SB MVPs. The man called his own plays, and lead a team to victory time and time again. Every man on that team had a special part, but only ONE touched the ball on every single offensive snap. And that my friends is your Greatest QB of all time.

Montana is second.

Look at who they had to beat on the big stage. That's important to me. Beating the Roger Staubach lead Dallas Cowboys in the 70s wasn't easy once, let alone twice. Montana beat Marino and Elway, who has Brady beat? Delhoume? McNabb? Warner? Really...do those 3 even make the top 25 all time? Maybe Donnovan but really, it isn't like Brady played "stud qbs" on the other side. And lately, he's been losing to stud QBs. Well one stud and a younger brother.

Its about wins, and who you won against to me. And Terry, beat Tarkenton, and Staubach twice. Montana beat Elway and Marino.

Elway beat Favre on the big stage.
Aikmen beat Kelly on the big stage twice.

The Superbowl is where Legends are made. The Superbowl is where the Greatest of all time step up and perform. Who ever has the most SB wins against the best and toughest competition, they win for me.

And Terry beat a fellow HOF QB 3 times in 4 SBs.

No one will top that. Ever.

There's a difference between greatest team and greatest individual.