PDA

View Full Version : Steelers meet with Crocker

83-Steelers-43
03-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Steelers meeting with free-agent safety Chris Crocker
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, March 6, 2008

The Steelers are meeting with free-agent safety Chris Crocker today at their South Side practice facility.

Crocker, a free safety, had a career-high three interceptions for the Falcons last season and was credited with 55 tackles.

A third-round pick by the Browns in 2003, Crocker played three seasons in Cleveland before getting traded to Atlanta. The 5-11, 192-pounder turns 28 on Sunday.

Crocker is the second safety to visit the Steelers this week as the team hosted Eugene Wilson.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_555861.html

tony hipchest
03-06-2008, 11:49 AM
this could be a move much like signing the virtual unknown ryan clark a few years ago.

Steeldude
03-06-2008, 11:54 AM
i wonder if this means clark's recovery has taken a turn for the worse. i remember reading he was doing well, but then started regressing.

Dino 6 Rings
03-06-2008, 12:52 PM
another guy that can tackle on KICKOFF!!! SWEET...

they are building my dream coverage team and just keeping it as a Super Secret...amazing how I can see through their tricky ways. Bring in Secondary and Linebackers to play STs, who don't need re-taught the technique of Tackling!!!!!

my evil plot to load the STs with angry veterans scorned by other teams is working...

jjpro11
03-06-2008, 01:51 PM
i want an update on clark.. all this free safety talk lately is getting me worried.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-06-2008, 02:01 PM
My guess is that Clark is not going to recover fully to the point that he will be a regular starter again. Looks like he and Chris Simms are examples that a splenectomy is not a good thing for pro athletes.

Its Anthony Smiths job and they are looking at a veteran to compete for the position.

Rhee Rhee
03-06-2008, 02:43 PM
this could be a move much like signing the virtual unknown ryan clark a few years ago.

idk... the last season that crocker was in cleveland he was great!

both as a fantasy player and as a starting FS...

he's a great tackler in run suport... i think his pass coverage skills may need a little work but other than that i feel him and eugene wilson are on par

dunkuntou
03-06-2008, 02:48 PM
idk... the last season that crocker was in cleveland he was great!

both as a fantasy player and as a starting FS...

he's a great tackler in run suport... i think his pass coverage skills may need a little work but other than that i feel him and eugene wilson are on par

I wouldn't call him a great tackler.

But the interesting piece is how the Steelers signed Ryan Clark who was a strong safety in Washington and in college and drafted Anthony Smith who was known more as a hard hitter rather than a coverage corner but they brought in Eugene Wilson and Chris Crocker who are both better cover safeties than they are coming up in run support.

19ward86
03-06-2008, 02:54 PM
noooooo moooonnneeeeyyyy!!!!!

Stlrs4Life
03-06-2008, 09:18 PM

What 19 said. Nice dream though.

Preacher
03-06-2008, 09:49 PM

Not necessarily true. If Clark goes on IR... or retires, that opens up his salary to us... and our cap hit is reduced.

lilyoder6
03-06-2008, 09:52 PM
its the same way with simms... he busted his spleen in the game and he hasn't put on pads yet... so that should tell u that it's going to take a while for clark to play again.. if he plays again

dunkuntou
03-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Not necessarily true. If Clark goes on IR... or retires, that opens up his salary to us... and our cap hit is reduced.

Thats not entirely true. If he retires we are still responsible for his signing bonus which is about $1.5 million over the next two years so we would get hit with it now.

If he goes on the IR he is still on the roster and we are responsible for his entire contract

Preacher
03-06-2008, 11:42 PM
Thats not entirely true. If he retires we are still responsible for his signing bonus which is about $1.5 million over the next two years so we would get hit with it now.

If he goes on the IR he is still on the roster and we are responsible for his entire contract

I beleive IR releases cap room.

Retirement will free up cap room in what we would have paid for him this year. Sure, it wouldn't be everything... but it would be more room then we had now.

Preacher
03-07-2008, 12:09 AM
Hmmmmmmm

I have been trying to find some more info on IR and cap room. But for some reason, I haven't been able to find it...

sherlock
03-07-2008, 12:37 AM
Sorry guys,but what is IR?

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-07-2008, 01:01 AM
there is an article in the post-gazette today regarding the options the steelers have with the salary cap.

link: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08067/863188-66.stm

i believe they should pull the plug on the transition tag for starks...that would free up a TON of money and allow them to sign a few players as opposed to one - and we're not even sure what their plans for starks is since smith (coming off an injury) and colon were starting.

The Duke
03-07-2008, 01:25 AM
Sorry guys,but what is IR?

Injured Reserve

when players get a season ending injury they're placed on the IR list and cant play for the rest of the season, but allows the team to get a new player cause the injured one doesn't count on the 53 man roster anymore

and like preach said it may release cap room

for more info........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injured_Reserve

Galax Steeler
03-07-2008, 04:39 AM
Time to pull the transiton tag on starks and free up some of that money.

dunkuntou
03-07-2008, 09:48 AM
I beleive IR releases cap room.

Retirement will free up cap room in what we would have paid for him this year. Sure, it wouldn't be everything... but it would be more room then we had now.

Unfortunately it doesn't. A player still counts against the cap if he is on the IR because he is still technically on your roster. Its the same situation as when a player is on the PUP list

sherlock
03-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Injured Reserve

when players get a season ending injury they're placed on the IR list and cant play for the rest of the season, but allows the team to get a new player cause the injured one doesn't count on the 53 man roster anymore

and like preach said it may release cap room

for more info........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injured_Reserve

Thanks very much Duke for the reply and link! :thumbsup:

jtmill
03-07-2008, 01:26 PM
there is an article in the post-gazette today regarding the options the steelers have with the salary cap.

link: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08067/863188-66.stm

i believe they should pull the plug on the transition tag for starks...that would free up a TON of money and allow them to sign a few players as opposed to one - and we're not even sure what their plans for starks is since smith (coming off an injury) and colon were starting.

Yes. We have plenty of money if we need it. We just need to be careful and make sure it's worth the effort.

stlrtruck
03-07-2008, 01:39 PM
WHY DO WE NEED MORE DEFENSIVE BACKS?!?!?!?! WE'VE GOT LIKE 10 OF THEM!!! GET SOME LINEMEN INSTEAD, BUT DON'T PAY THEM $6 MILLION A YEAR!!! JESUS!!

Don't worry, I don't think Jesus is paying their salary (LOL) - sorry couldn't resist. :sofunny:

Rotorhead
03-07-2008, 01:47 PM
They dont have to be under the cap right now do they, as long as they have a plan (like the starks issue) to reduce the cap numbers when the time comes they can sign and be over all they want. If I am mistaking, please let me know. As for steelreserve, they are looking at linemen, but have other needs to fill as well. If Clark is not able to play, they have to look for a replacement (sorry i am not on the Smith bandwagon at all) or we will be the bengals. Besides, I am of the opinion that Mahan would do fine as a replacement for Faneca, so we just need a Center and LT. One we will hopefully draft (LT) for the future and use what we have for this season and another (Center) we will hopefully pull from FA.

tony hipchest
03-07-2008, 02:08 PM
I was actually talking about Jesus, the Mexican guy.ah yes. Jesus Zendejas. isnt he the son of former Oiler kicker Tony Zendejas?

stlrtruck
03-07-2008, 02:15 PM
ah yes. Jesus Zendejas. isnt he the son of former Oiler kicker Tony Zendejas?

Man I thought something was wrong when players were paying with pasos!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-07-2008, 02:31 PM
ah yes. Jesus Zendejas. isnt he the son of former Oiler kicker Tony Zendejas?

Wasnt he the great Mexican bowler from The Big Lebowski??

tony hipchest
03-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Wasnt he the great Mexican bowler from The Big Lebowski??lol...:yep:... i think so.

rich4eagle
03-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Steelers meeting with free-agent safety Chris Crocker
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, March 6, 2008

The Steelers are meeting with free-agent safety Chris Crocker today at their South Side practice facility.

Crocker, a free safety, had a career-high three interceptions for the Falcons last season and was credited with 55 tackles.

A third-round pick by the Browns in 2003, Crocker played three seasons in Cleveland before getting traded to Atlanta. The 5-11, 192-pounder turns 28 on Sunday.

Crocker is the second safety to visit the Steelers this week as the team hosted Eugene Wilson.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_555861.html

give Crocker a good look he has been wronged everywhere he has been so far

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-07-2008, 09:36 PM
I wonder if Betty is his grandma...man, that woman can cook!

Jeremy
03-07-2008, 09:46 PM
I thought maybe it was this Crocker:
http://carlosalazraqui.com/active/imageLibrary/displayImage.php?id=33

He could hunt down those fairies in Cincy.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-08-2008, 10:23 AM
^ his head's on backwards...

GBMelBlount
03-08-2008, 10:47 AM
another guy that can tackle on KICKOFF!!! SWEET...

my evil plot to load the STs with angry veterans scorned by other teams is working...

:toofunny: