PDA

View Full Version : TSN's Gary Dulac says the Steelers are hoping Stapleton starts next year at Center

BlastFurnace
03-06-2008, 03:49 PM
SCOUTING REPORT: The coaches are really hoping Darnell Stapleton, a rookie free agent in '07, continues to improve because they think he will be their starting center this season. Sean Mahan, last year's starter, struggled with big nose tackles and will likely be used to replace Alan Faneca at left guard or as the team's sixth linemen this season.

Stapleton has a strong lower body that allows him to gain leverage and does a good job using his hands inside. Even though he missed a large portion of training camp last season, he still made the 53-man roster because the coaches like his ability.

-Dulac

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=372219

tony hipchest
03-06-2008, 03:56 PM
im hoping he does too. of course many (who never seen him in action) will say he sucks because he wasnt a high draft pick or because he couldnt crack the starting lineup last season.

others will understand the importance of actually taking the time to develop a raw prospect (willie, harrison).

2 of our pro bowlers last season were drafted as high as darnell.

Edman
03-06-2008, 04:02 PM
The Steelers have worked some magic with finding undrafted talent. Look no further than Silverback and Willie Parker. Both Pro-Bowlers. Both undrafted.

Hopefully Stapleton is the next in line. The coaching staff obviously see something in this kid.

BlastFurnace
03-06-2008, 04:17 PM
I look at it this way, he can't be any worse than Mahan was last year.

TackleMeBen
03-06-2008, 04:22 PM

:iagree: he will just need to work on his chemistry with ben

paw-n-maul-u
03-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Man, that would be awesome. It does speak volumes that he was on the 53 man roster all year long. UDFA's are undoubtedly raw but like previously stated, willie and silverback, we've had some fortunate luck.

I think everyone knows that Mahan will not be a starter next year on this team. Which sucks because we sure aren't paying him like a backup.

We need to hit gold with whatever lineman we take this next year. Just two years ago we had an offensive line that everyone raved about, they have been underperforming drastically the past two years. But I really don't want to spend a first round pick on an OT, I'd rather go BPA than reach for someone like L. Timmons (not saying he was a bad pick, im rather excited about him actually), but reaching for a Brendan Albert in the mid first round is not the way to go.

NJarhead
03-06-2008, 04:33 PM
What a relief this would be. Too bad they don't know now (prior to the draft). Although they did announce they were intent on taking the best over-all, despite need.

Dino 6 Rings
03-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Best player on the board at 23 could be almost any position. Sneaking feeling it'll be an Offensive Tackle.

Hope Stapleton can play center...for the next 12 years. Follow in the line of Webster, Dawson, Hartings (open slot) Stapleton...works for me.

NJarhead
03-06-2008, 04:52 PM
I'd like to see Sean redeem himself at LG as well. Although, we are do for a FA chump. We'll see. The last one I'd say was Kent Graham.

On that note, I still regret not buy a Kent Graham jersey.., for like $5.00.
"Graham" is my dogs name. It would have been perfect!

polamalu82
03-06-2008, 04:53 PM

Thats what I was going to say if nobody else did. :thumbsup:

Preacher
03-06-2008, 06:56 PM
I'd like to see Sean redeem himself at LG as well. Although, we are do for a FA chump. We'll see. The last one I'd say was Kent Graham.

On that note, I still regret not buy a Kent Graham jersey.., for like $5.00.
"Graham" is my dogs name. It would have been perfect!

Exactly.

I would love to see what he can do at LG.

Dylan
03-06-2008, 07:37 PM
he would be interesting to watch

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Hopefully this report has something to it. At least the Steelers would probably not bother with a high pick on a center then.

Better centers available in 09 draft.

Stlrs4Life
03-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Would be nice., this wopuld be the cheapest route for us.

lilyoder6
03-06-2008, 08:53 PM
i hope he can prove himself then mahan can go to lg and we would have the pos filled and wry about grooming future lineman

19ward86
03-06-2008, 10:13 PM
I like the idea of him starting but i think mahan needs to be released, traded, or redo his contract because he is about 5 million in cap and he is our worst lineman, yet one of the highest paid.

Preacher
03-06-2008, 10:31 PM
I like the idea of him starting but i think mahan needs to be released, traded, or redo his contract because he is about 5 million in cap and he is our worst lineman, yet one of the highest paid.

Why? We have no idea how good or bad he is. All we know is that he can't play center. I think it would be very premature to make any other decision...

Steeldude
03-07-2008, 12:59 AM
this is my worthless opinion on what the starting O-line should look like if stapleton shows he can be a starter

LT - starks
LG - simmons
C - stapleton
RG - colon
RT - smith

kemo, mahan, essex, cappizzi and draft pick on the bench

Rhee Rhee
03-07-2008, 03:31 AM
this is my worthless opinion on what the starting O-line should look like if stapleton shows he can be a starter

LT - starks
LG - simmons
C - stapleton
RG - colon
RT - smith

kemo, mahan, essex, cappizzi and draft pick on the bench

no draft pick? at all?

Galax Steeler
03-07-2008, 03:44 AM
I think we should give stapelton a chance and see what he has this year and if he don't pan out then draft a center next year.

Aussie_steeler
03-07-2008, 03:55 AM
Stapleton has already beat out Chukky and Marvin Phillips and is now looking to beat Mahan and Simmons out this season.

With Russ Grimm gone and a new staff in p-lace who would be the people on staff pushing so strongly for him? Any ideas? A few O line gurus must really see something in him.

I hope he works out for the sake of our line and cap space.

Elvis
03-07-2008, 05:16 AM
I hope that your right Aussie
I hope that all works out well and the Steelers dont have to use a draft pick on a center in april.
:coffee:

Lord Stiller
03-07-2008, 07:09 AM
what baffles me is why they didnt let Stapleton play at all last season when Mahan was getting dominated every game and ruining our season

MasterOfPuppets
03-07-2008, 08:30 AM
im hoping he does too. of course many (who never seen him in action) will say he sucks because he wasnt a high draft pick or because he couldnt crack the starting lineup last season.
others will understand the importance of actually taking the time to develop a raw prospect (willie, harrison).

2 of our pro bowlers last season were drafted as high as darnell.but in all fairness tony, the fans may be a littlt gun shy because of the chucky okobi deal.

lilyoder6
03-07-2008, 08:40 AM
i hope he just works hiss ass off this season and shows he's a beast.. and then mahan would have to play guard or bench warmer

RoethlisBURGHer
03-07-2008, 08:56 AM
If Stapleton can play even above-average at center and Mahan can play LG at least average, that's a huge upgrade from last year.

Steeldude
03-07-2008, 08:58 AM
no draft pick? at all?

i said draft pick on bench :smile:

no idea who(G or T) they will draft. depends on free agency.

Dino 6 Rings
03-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Stapleton...hmmm...trying to get used to the name...cause he's going to have to snap the ball for at least 10 years to earn the right to be called a Steelers Center...its an elite club...mahan didn't make it into the lobby...hope this kid steps up and understands the honor it is to be our Center.

Steeldude
03-07-2008, 09:03 AM
what baffles me is why they didnt let Stapleton play at all last season when Mahan was getting dominated every game and ruining our season

i think it had to do with stapleton's lack of experience. he missed most of training camp to make matters worse.

mahan wasn't the only one playing poorly last year. simmons was a joke, colon was slow, faneca didn't look like he wanted be here and smith's back was killing him.

i think the steelers are probably going to go with stapleton this year. unless they sign a free agent like rex hadnot. if they sign hadnot they will probably release mahan for some cap room.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-07-2008, 09:56 AM

Because Stapleton was a rookie that only played 2 years at that football factory that is Rutgers after being a JUCO transfer. Also, he weighed in at 6'3" 285.

If you were to take a look at the draft today for a 6'3", 285 lb rookie free agent center and say "thats our starter this season!" Most would think you are crazy and rightfully so. The center is responsible for making the line calls and changes at the LOS and putting a rookie in would be irresponsible.

Really just furthers my point that O-line is a difficult place for a rookie to step in, so whoever we draft this year will be more of an impact in their 2nd year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-07-2008, 10:01 AM
i said draft pick on bench :smile:

no idea who(G or T) they will draft. depends on free agency.

Yeah, I think if they pickup a lineman in free agency then there will be only 1 OL drafted, but if they dont find a FA, then I'm believing that 2 OL will be drafted.

Next season will be Smith's last and Essex, Kemo will both be on 1 year deals as well, so the prospect of losing 2 or 3 linemen is a possibility. I'm thinking the Steelers will stock up on 2 so at least there is some promising youth on the line as replacements.....not 5th or 6th round projects.

Smidrow
03-07-2008, 08:06 PM

Actually, Mahan will only count a little under 3 million against the Steeler's cap in 2008. He was only a 1.4 million dollar cap hit in 2007 which was simply back-up money.

sherlock
03-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Reading what you guys are writing in this thread has made me realise that the cap is quite a juggling act for teams....and something else that I`m gonna have to get to grips with!

SteelersJW
03-09-2008, 09:28 AM
As long as he's better than Mahan, who gives a damn? We should however, draft another center in the draft to compete for a starting job.

lilyoder6
03-09-2008, 01:16 PM
i think mahan does need to reconstruct his contract.. he his getting paid to good for someone that is not very good..