PDA

View Full Version : We sure make our opponents look good

Tim
11-01-2005, 12:46 AM
I can't quite figure it out. No matter how poorly a team is playing, no matter how badly damaged they are, we always seem to find a way to let them stick with us.

The Ravens, with (I think) the worst offense in the league, marched down the field on us pretty darn well for being as bad as they are.

Now, seriously, I'm not sure if we were playing poorly or if the Ravens were playing out of their minds, but somehow Anthony Wright looked like a half way decent QB out there.

I'm gonna be at the Green Bay game, and of course, that should be a game we'd win, but as always, I'm sure it'll be close.

BurghThing
11-01-2005, 12:53 AM
I'm sure we'll let Mr 5 INT throw 4 TDs against us

BlitzburghRockCity
11-01-2005, 01:07 AM
The ravens are NOT that good..they did play some inspired ball in the passing game...but u could see we just didnt have that punch that we normally do on defense until it really mattered. Again, IMO, its playing down to the competition.

24seven
11-01-2005, 01:17 AM
teams have always been able to pass on us at will.. Why they don't continue to do so throughout the whole game is beyond me but fortunate for us they don't.. Otherwise we would be losing alot more games than we do.. I don't think we 1 time forced an incomplete pass tonight.. It was either complete, or uncatchable.. Our secondary sucks so bad I almost can't watch pass plays anymore.. And I don't know how many times it takes to figure out that we should be using ALL the secondary to cover the pass rather than blitz them over and over.. We sacked Wright like 2 times I think and both were lineman yet we blitzed over and over and over again.. Maybe if we'd keep the guys in the secondary where they belong we wouldn't have looked so piss poor..... Rothy was having a crap night to.. I almost wanted Batch in there at the end of the 1st half.. He's trying to play hurt and plus he was just not in the zone.. The run game was stopped a couple times but not enough to just shut it down.. I can't believe we completely did the opposite of last week against the bengals.. Hopefully they learned a lesson from this game and go back to good ol know how and POUND THE FOOTBALL!!!

clevestinks
11-01-2005, 05:11 AM
Teams ONLY pass on us at will, when we don`t pressure the quarterback.
We got our asses beat in the trenches, on both sides of the ball. We couldn`t get near Wright all nite. And Ben was pressured the entire night. Ben was completing just dink and dunk passes. I was not impressed last night. But I did say before the start of the game" I would rather play a good team, the bad teams always come to play"

Atlanta Dan
11-01-2005, 10:23 AM
Repeating what is now a definite trend/problem, the D allowed the Ravens to march down the field in their opening drive and reverse the momentum from the Steelers drive to open the game - last year the Ravens would have been 3 and out on their first possession against Steelers' D - this year it seems everyone moves the ball to start the game against the D.

A win is a win, but with the exception of moments such as the second half of the Cincy game, the D has failed to consistently stop opponents to start the game or (see - New England, San Diego, Ravens) failed to clamp down in the 4th quarter.

Any thoughts as to why the drop-off from last year (scheme or individual players), both statistically and what we see on the field?

A loss last night would have made the Jax loss look good - Jax was all Maddox, last night had a lot of blame to pass around. Hopefully we will see a more focused effort against Green Bay.

hardwork
11-01-2005, 11:15 AM
"Again, IMO, its playing down to the competition."

See if you can talk the Colts into doing that next monday night.

rowedf
11-01-2005, 12:08 PM
.. Our secondary sucks so bad I almost can't watch pass plays anymore..

Dude, come on, Admins, I really think you should ban posting for like three days after a steeler game to avoid these kind of comments LOL

Last week EVERYONE was all over the secondary for being AWESOME. I was reading comparsions to Lake, Perry, Woodson, Figures......but this week, after one more game, its the "secondary sucks" ???? The Steelers have given up 5 TD passes all year...thats second in the NFL, but they suck? They are in the middle of the pack in the other categories, but the bottom line is they don't give up many TD's and thats a huge stat......the secondary didn't have one of their best nights last night (primarily due to the lack of pressure on the QB), but they still did not play awful.

clevestinks
11-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Our secondary is not at all thee entire problem anyway. The pass rush was the biggest problem. Anthony Wright had all day to pass, you can only expect a db to stay with a guy for so long

Tim
11-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Yeah, the pass rush was awful. One would think that after a first half of nearly constant blitzing on 2nd and 3rd down and no real pressure on Wright to show for it, we'd do something different and if that didn't work early in the 3rd quarter we'd revert to a more traditional defense.

What exactly is sound defensive football philosophy when your blitzing isn't working?

And again, where the heck has Joey Porter been. Ogden had his way with him all night.

Ambridge
11-01-2005, 05:26 PM
It was Monday Night Football and most teams are going to play their best being in the national spotlight and the Ravens came out and played their best game of the year so far.
The Ravens had to have that game last night if they wanted to keep any silly thoughts alive of a post season so I'm not totally surprised that Anthony Wright played a little over his head.

I think the Steelers might have been a little flat and the Ravens played with a sense of desperation.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-01-2005, 05:38 PM
flat, playing down to the competition..whatever u wanna call it.. it was tough so we know we need to stay sharp the rest of the way.. no down time, no let ups, if we wanna make it all the way.