PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Draft Prospect Interview: DT Carlton Powell

MeanKevinGreene
03-08-2008, 12:11 PM
"One look at the Steelers current depth at defensive tackle is all it takes to realize help is needed for the upcoming 2008 season. With Free Agency now nearly a week old and with all notable names (and even not so notable names i.e. Damione Lewis) off the market, it has become obvious that the Steelers will look to fill this need through the upcoming NFL Draft."

Should we take him??

SteelersFever
03-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Title: Steelers Draft Prospect Interview: DT Carlton Powell
Source: Steelers Fever
Date: 3/08/08
Author: Paul Eide

Link: http://www.steelersfever.com/editorials/0802.html

First Paragraph: One look at the Steelers current depth at defensive tackle is all it takes to realize help is needed for the upcoming 2008 season. With Free Agency now nearly a week old and with all notable names (and even not so notable names i.e. Damione Lewis) off the market, it has become obvious that the Steelers will look to fill this need through the upcoming NFL Draft.

19ward86
03-08-2008, 01:07 PM
As long as he isnt another ryan mcbean, he was so overhyped last year on this webpage. I remember almost every week there was another article about him and drafting him. Now that we drafted him, he doesnt play 1 snap? How can a guy be so hyped up then not play when a team needs his position to play? Hope he at least plays.

Galax Steeler
03-09-2008, 08:35 AM
As long as he isnt another ryan mcbean, he was so overhyped last year on this webpage. I remember almost every week there was another article about him and drafting him. Now that we drafted him, he doesnt play 1 snap? How can a guy be so hyped up then not play when a team needs his position to play? Hope he at least plays.

Did mcbean even play at all last year I had forgotten about him.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-09-2008, 08:50 AM
Did mcbean even play at all last year I had forgotten about him.

Dressed for the final three games.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-09-2008, 09:03 AM
"One look at the Steelers current depth at defensive tackle is all it takes to realize help is needed for the upcoming 2008 season. With Free Agency now nearly a week old and with all notable names (and even not so notable names i.e. Damione Lewis) off the market, it has become obvious that the Steelers will look to fill this need through the upcoming NFL Draft."

Should we take him??

I dont think his value is much higher than players like DT Keith Shologan of Central Florida who can be picked up as a UDFA...Carlton Powell may go in the 5th or 6th or may slip out of the draft all together. I do agree that we have to bring in some youth...but with Powell in particular, I wouldnt use the draft pick on him unless we traded down earlier and got a second 5th round pick

Black@Gold Forever32
03-09-2008, 01:01 PM

Aaron Smith played in just 6 games his rookie year and started none.....Brett Keisel played in just five game his first two years in the NFL.....Chris Hoke didn't play at all his first three years with the Steelers....My point is the Steelers defense is a complex defense to learn and it takes time for young players to learn it....Plus it takes time for DL to adjust to the 3-4....Those three vets I just mentioned didn't play much early on in their careers and all became contributors for this team....I'm not saying McBean will become a player either....Just saying writing him off completely is a bit pre-mature....McBean will be back at training camp to get another shot...Hopefully he learned the defense and is more adjusted to the 3-4....

Rhee Rhee
03-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Aaron Smith played in just 6 games his rookie year and started none.....Brett Keisel played in just five game his first two years in the NFL.....Chris Hoke didn't play at all his first three years with the Steelers....My point is the Steelers defense is a complex defense to learn and it takes time for young players to learn it....Plus it takes time for DL to adjust to the 3-4....Those three vets I just mentioned didn't play much early on in their careers and all became contributors for this team....I'm not saying McBean will become a player either....Just saying writing him off completely is a bit pre-mature....McBean will be back at training camp to get another shot...Hopefully he learned the defense and is more adjusted to the 3-4....

i agree and just for versatility we should keep him so we have another 4-3 DT

lilyoder6
03-09-2008, 07:23 PM
yeah so he could come in a give a breather to smith or keisal w/o losing a step or two on the line.. i want to know about shaun noa... when his he going to become a competitor