PDA

View Full Version : Buh Bye Joey

BurghThing
11-01-2005, 12:05 AM
Time to get on with your life's work, whatever that may be.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-01-2005, 12:08 AM
Porter is still a leader on this team..and if you notice, he gets ALOT of the double teams by the TE or FB...still yes he needs to step up, but if he's not in there, we do lose alot in leadership and a guy taking up more blockers.

BurghThing
11-01-2005, 12:16 AM
Please, how many double teams did you see Joey fighting through tonight? I saw Joey getting stuffed again and again by an aged Ogden. Face it, he's done.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-01-2005, 12:29 AM
Ogden is a pro bowl tackle..Joey is pro bowl LB..they were locked dead on all nite...sometimes joey got by but didnt get the sack..sometimes ogden won..its was more or less a stalemate...but throughout the year, teams will generally send the TE to that side to help out, or run away from joey rather than at him w/ out help.

I know he needs to step up his game, thats obvious, but IMO he's not quite THAT bad..

:smile:

pitt
11-01-2005, 12:37 AM
I saw Ogden getting away with holding alot.

clevestinks
11-01-2005, 04:07 AM
Joey has played inconsistant so far this year. But he is far from washed up!

BB2W
11-01-2005, 08:38 AM
I am ready to see Porter replaced, Harrison or Frazier can get blocked all day and not touch the QB for a lot less money. I have said before that I think Porters level of play has declined the last couple seasons. If nothing else... he needs to take a pay cut.

Maybe he just needs Dwight Freeny to teach him that spin move. :rolleyes:

Suitanim
11-01-2005, 08:47 AM
I don't know, it seemed like Porter was also dropping back into coverage a lot. I hate to sound like a homer, but I do think LT's get away with a little more holding than the rulebook specifies when they line up against Porter.

He also leads the team in sacks.

BB2W
11-01-2005, 08:59 AM
I did notice he was dropping into coverage alot, probabaly because he couldn't get past Ogden. :busted:

It will be interesting to see how things play out. They have a lot of young people to sign, and some will want big money. I imagine they are gonna need to make some cap room. Jeff Hartings and Bettis will clear some space, but... I just don't think Joey's production is equal to his salary.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-01-2005, 10:05 AM
Me and my grandpa noticed a lot of holding of Porter by Ogden...and it never got called.

AvoidLLoyd95
11-01-2005, 10:29 AM
I wouldn't mine seeing harrison in there more. He is a monster that is bringing it, now.

rowedf
11-01-2005, 11:01 AM
Porter did drop into coverage alot more than Ive ever seen. He actually went down field with Heap for about 20 yards, had great coverage but got all twisted up when the ball was coming, fortunately Heap didnt make the catch. I think Porter is ok, he certainly isn't what he was 3 years ago, but he's a very solid OLB and our best leader, sometimes the later can be more important !

clevestinks
11-01-2005, 11:28 AM
Harrison does need to be on the field more, I agree. But Porter came up huge just a week ago against Cinci. And Ogden does well against everybody that he plays.

tony hipchest
11-01-2005, 11:38 AM
joey porter is a linebacker! not a defensive end like freeney. porter had his work cut out for him.

i remember greg lloyd getting handled in the superbowl by larry allen i believe. when you ask a lb to take on a house of an o-lineman all game youre not gonna put up great defensive numbers. one thing porter has going for him is hes one of cowhers favorite players and he brings much needed intensity. yes at a high price, but that can be worked out.

BurghThing
11-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Harrison does need to be on the field more, I agree. But Porter came up huge just a week ago against Cinci. And Ogden does well against everybody that he plays.

He did? How many tackles did Joey have in that game?

I'll give you a hint, its a nonnegative integer less than 1.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-01-2005, 04:48 PM
The problem is, if u bench joey, or release him after this year..we have ZERO experienced depth. Harrison and Haggans are the starters, and that leaves Frazier as the key backup. There fore you are now going out and having to draft a couple LB's in 2006, and also look to FA for a good 2nd tier LB to provide experienced depth. LB's are too important in our defense to not have good depth.

stand undefeated
11-01-2005, 04:58 PM
I'm not gonna talk up Joey, but I did see some holding from Ogden that coulda been minor holds calls worth calling. Bleh!

Avoid LLoyd1975
11-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Joey is one of the captains on the team. I would like to see somebody tell him he is washed up to his face. So what he doesn't have 10 sacks already. He plays an intrical part of how other teams gameplan and run their offense. Come on guys, everyone knows he is one of the baddest, strongest and quickest OLB's in the game right now.

TasmanianTroy271
11-03-2005, 02:29 PM
I dunno about Joey. Do you go with the experianced vet or the kid with alot of potential (Harrison)? I dunno, I think Harrison has too much potential to lose him in FA so lets see what the kids got.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-03-2005, 02:54 PM
Maybe Cowher should tell Joey hes thinkin about starting someone else.
That should get him going.....and he will play a bit harder.

I.C. Lights
11-03-2005, 11:25 PM
Ogden is a beast, and when the refs let him get away with enough holding calls to be a patriot, I'm not sure that anyone can stop him. Joey should turn it up in the end of the season like he usually does. I'm not going to worry about it unless it's still happening in last couple weeks.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-04-2005, 01:32 AM
:iagree: :iagree:

51JetsfaninPa51
11-04-2005, 06:30 AM
Im a Jets fan but I like Porter, he pumps up there entire defense.

clevestinks
11-04-2005, 11:13 AM
This should be a week for Joey and Co. to shine, GB has had a bad line most of the year, I heard them mention that they are starting to play better together. So lets have our defense confuse them a little. And Joey get back on track