PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison Arrested on Assault Charges

Pages : [1] 2

HometownGal
03-08-2008, 10:20 PM
:jawdrop::jawdrop:

http://kdka.com/steelers/James.Harrison.arrested.2.673008.html

Steelers' Harrison Arrested On Assault Charge

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ― Steelers' linebacker James Harrison was arrested earlier today for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend at her residence.

Officials say Harrison is facing two charges, one count of simple assault for intentionally, knowingly or recklessly causing bodily harm, and one count of criminal mischief, for intentionally or recklessly tampering with tangible property of another.

According to the criminal complaint filed in night court and obtained by KDKA, Harrison allegedly got into an argument with his girlfriend and she locked herself in her bedroom to call 911.

Police say Harrison allegedly broke through the door, broke her cell phone in half and slapped her in the face.

He was arrested on his way back to his residence, police say.

Harrison was taken to Allegheny County Jail, arraigned and released. He is scheduled to appear in court on March 13th.

43Hitman
03-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Wow.. This is not good news. :jawdrop:

Preacher
03-08-2008, 10:25 PM
:jawdrop::jawdrop:

http://kdka.com/steelers/James.Harrison.arrested.2.673008.html

Steelers' Harrison Arrested On Assault Charge

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ― Steelers' linebacker James Harrison was arrested earlier today for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend at her residence.

Officials say Harrison is facing two charges, one count of simple assault for intentionally, knowingly or recklessly causing bodily harm, and one count of criminal mischief, for intentionally or recklessly tampering with tangible property of another.

According to the criminal complaint filed in night court and obtained by KDKA, Harrison allegedly got into an argument with his girlfriend and she locked herself in her bedroom to call 911.

Police say Harrison allegedly broke through the door, broke her cell phone in half and slapped her in the face.

He was arrested on his way back to his residence, police say.

Harrison was taken to Allegheny County Jail, arraigned and released. He is scheduled to appear in court on March 13th.

We Ain't the Bengals.

If its true... :wave:

I don't care WHO it is.

MAJOR LEAP...............

How often does a 28 year old man break into the line up?

I have NO REASON OTHER THAN PURE SPECULATION... but doesn't this sound a bit like roid rage?

Just wondering............

Hapa
03-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Davenport had domestic violence charges this year too.

Preacher
03-08-2008, 10:37 PM
Davenport had domestic violence charges this year too.

Yep. and I am waiting to hear about his.

Something has to break. 20/30 something year old men can't walk around thinking that just because they are football players, they can pull this ignorant stupidity.

PisnNapalm
03-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Ahhhh shit.

We don't know enough to pass final judgement on him yet, but smacking a woman is pretty low.

Saying it's roid rage is a bit premature isn't it? Those guys are tested many times during the year for steroids. Let' not jump to conclusions. Besides.... If there is anyone on this planet who knows how to "push my buttons" it's my wife. :P Women can drive ya nuts.

lilyoder6
03-08-2008, 10:41 PM
i like how the one charge is for intentionally or recklessly tampering with tangible property of another... i think that one is stupid.. ppl brake other ppl stuff all the time and there are no charges... i hope he learns his lesson

Preacher
03-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Ahhhh shit.

We don't know enough to pass final judgement on him yet, but smacking a woman is pretty low.

Saying it's roid rage is a bit premature isn't it? Those guys are tested many times during the year for steroids. Let' not jump to conclusions. Besides.... If there is anyone on this planet who knows how to "push my buttons" it's my wife. :P Women can drive ya nuts.

VERY PREMATURE...

Thats why I put it this way...

MAJOR LEAP...............

How often does a 28 year old man break into the line up?

I have NO REASON OTHER THAN PURE SPECULATION... but doesn't this sound a bit like roid rage?

Just wondering............

Just a thought way in the back of my head... but for some reason... it just won't leave...

19ward86
03-08-2008, 10:49 PM
I smack women all the time, just kidding....

It is a pretty low thing to do to a woman, what kind of woman argues with a 250lb man that benches your car? i would be yes sir, no sir...haha

fansince'76
03-08-2008, 10:58 PM
We Ain't the Bengals.

I don't care WHO it is.

I agree - if it's true, goodbye James.

Preacher
03-08-2008, 11:02 PM
Let me ALSO put in...

MAN I HOPE IT ISNT TRUE!!!

Let it be something like Holmes, where it wasn't what it seemed, and was dropped.

But man... people have to learn to control anger issues.

fansince'76
03-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Let me ALSO put in...

MAN I HOPE IT ISNT TRUE!!!

Let it be something like Holmes, where it wasn't what it seemed, and was dropped.

But man... people have to learn to control anger issues.

Agreed once again. However, I look at it like this - if it were me, I'd probably have lost my job already. Why should a professional athlete keep theirs (if the charges are true)?

Shoes
03-08-2008, 11:06 PM
These guys better save their assaulting for these guys...

Giants
Pats
Colts
Cowboys
Eagles
Redskins
Jaguars
Chargers
Texans
Titans
Browns
Bengals
Ravens

Preacher
03-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Agreed once again. However, I look at it like this - if it were me, I'd probably have lost my job already. Why should a professional athlete keep theirs (if the charges are true)?

Yep.

For all of us that laugh at the Bungles and other teams with players like this... It is put up or shut up...

If he ends up as guilty, with the story as it is told... we need to demand his departure... nto that it would do any good.

zulater
03-08-2008, 11:12 PM
I don't want this to come off the wrong way but there's a huge difference between an open handed slap and a full fledged assualt.Particularly if this is an isolated incident and not an underlying pattern. This could simply be a couple in need of serious counseling. I certainly wouldn't go punching Harrison's ticket out of town based on what's being reported here.

Preacher
03-08-2008, 11:19 PM
I don't want this to come off the wrong way but there's a huge difference between an open handed slap and a full fledged assualt.Particularly if this is an isolated incident and not an underlying pattern. This could simply be a couple in need of serious counseling. I certainly wouldn't go punching Harrison's ticket out of town based on what's being reported here.

No.

When a man sees fit to slap a woman... it doesn't matter whether it is closed or open handed, he has crossed the line. WAY too far.

On top of that, HE BROKE DOWN THE DOOR.

Of course... this is IF IF IF IF IF what has been said is correct.

Edman
03-08-2008, 11:22 PM
How disappointing. No better than a Bungle is all I have to say at this point. Bengal fans may put up with this crap from their players, but I won't. And I'm sure the Steelers won't either. Shame on you, James. Shame on you.

Considering where you came from and how you got on this roster, you would at least be more appreciative for yuor job and displayed more self-control. Guess not.

The Steelers don't need this bullshit. Cut him.

SteelCityMan786
03-08-2008, 11:24 PM
I'm not sure about this. Najeh hasn't had his case in the news lately. I wonder how valid these charges are.

Mistah_Q
03-08-2008, 11:25 PM
:banging::pissed:

If this turns out to be true. . . Suddenly Quentin Groves is all that more attractive. . . He'd be a stud DE in the 4-3 but the problem was, he looks like a 3-4 OLB, where would he play half the time? Looks like we have a new vacancy. . .

:wave:

Edman
03-08-2008, 11:36 PM
The only thing that can change my opinion at this point is a written statement.

I'm literally sick to my stomach with disappointment.

zulater
03-08-2008, 11:38 PM
No.

When a man sees fit to slap a woman... it doesn't matter whether it is closed or open handed, he has crossed the line. WAY too far.

On top of that, HE BROKE DOWN THE DOOR.

Of course... this is IF IF IF IF IF what has been said is correct.

Without knowing the full story I wont condemn him, even if he did break through the door. I mean honestly James Harrison has the capacity to put a grown man let alone woman in the hospital if he was ill intended.

Look I don't want to come across as defending spousal abuse, because it's a hideous thing. But at the same token people make mistakes, particularly young people. And assuming he went no farther than one open handed slap and there's no prior history of it then I think you've got to give him a second chance.

Preacher
03-08-2008, 11:38 PM
:banging::pissed:

If this turns out to be true. . . Suddenly Quentin Groves is all that more attractive. . . He'd be a stud DE in the 4-3 but the problem was, he looks like a 3-4 OLB, where would he play half the time? Looks like we have a new vacancy. . .

:wave:

That is a question...

If this is a reality. . . do we pick up a LB before a OL? Or do we pick up a LB in the second round?

Of course. . . this is ALL contingent on it being true.

Steelerfreak58
03-08-2008, 11:45 PM
What did the hand say to the face....

SLAP! :banging:

DAMN YOU SIVLERBACK! DAMN YOU!:dang:

OneForTheToe
03-08-2008, 11:51 PM
Time will tell. As others have said, if you lay your hands on a women - no excuses. However, I note, it was simple assault and a pretty wasteful second charge. If they were to drop the simple assault charge, or he pleads to the otther charge as sometimes happens, then I think he could survive on the team. If he is convicted of the Simple Assault charge, then I think his days could be numberd in the burgh. He could also face suspension by Goodell.

Mr. Timmons may indeed stay at outside backer.

zulater
03-08-2008, 11:52 PM
Unless this is only the tip of the iceberg I predict this will have blown over by the time camp opens up. We may never look at Harrison the same way again, but he's not going anywhere. Maybe he'll be ordered to undergo counseling, but I can't see the Steelers not giving him a second chance.

Preacher
03-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Unless this is only the tip of the iceberg I predict this will have blown over by the time camp opens up. We may never look at Harrison the same way again, but he's not going anywhere. Maybe he'll be ordered to undergo counseling, but I can't see the Steelers not giving him a second chance.

How long have you been following the Rooney's?

Do you remember Bam Morris?

OneForTheToe
03-09-2008, 12:04 AM

True ... I think it is a misconception that we cut every player that gets in trouble. They stuck by Fats Holmes after his incident with the helicopter. Still, I got to think the image of Harrison hitting a women just burns Dan Rooney's britches.

zulater
03-09-2008, 12:06 AM
How long have you been following the Rooney's?

Do you remember Bam Morris?

Probably longer than you. Do you remember Ernie Holmes? :coffee:Or even Santonio Holmes for that matter.

Providing it gets no worse than has already been reported I'll all but guarantee James Harrison will be a Steeler in 2008. That's not saying you have to like it, but I'll stand by that prediction all the same.

zulater
03-09-2008, 12:10 AM
True ... I think it is a misconception that we cut every player that gets in trouble. They stuck by Fats Holmes after his incident with the helicopter. Still, I got to think the image of Harrison hitting a women just burns Dan Rooneys britches.

I'm sure it does, and it doesn't sit well with me either. But at the same token we have no right to be judge, jury, and executioner here. He at least deserves a chance to present his side of the story before we go drafting his replacement.

OneForTheToe
03-09-2008, 12:12 AM
I'm sure it does, and it doesn't sit well with me either. But at the same token we have no right to be judge, jury, and executioner here. He at least deserves a chance to present his side of the story before we go drafting his replacement.

No argument there.

paw-n-maul-u
03-09-2008, 12:17 AM
THIS IS SO DUMB.

It's not his wife, its his GIRLFRIEND, it could be one of many. And wow, the first thing bad we've ever heard about silverback is a domestic violence dispute with his alleged "girlfriend".

I call BULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLSHIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTT

gotta get them prenumps man.

paw-n-maul-u
03-09-2008, 12:18 AM
Big Daddy Kane would say ...

...pimpin ain't easy

zulater
03-09-2008, 12:19 AM
Let me say this, just because the domestic assualt charges were dismissed against Santiono Holmes doesn't mean it never happened. I'd be willing to wager it did. But even though I believe he did it doesn't mean I want to see him cut. People derserve second chances. As long as they don't abuse that chance then I can stomach them on my team.

So if I support Santonio as a Steelers why shouldn't i be willing to give Harrison a second chance if it comes to that?

paw-n-maul-u
03-09-2008, 12:20 AM
Alright, one more thing, domestic violence, NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS. someone is going to jail. It's a given. The cops WILL ARREST SOMEONE if domestic violence case is called

Preacher
03-09-2008, 12:22 AM
Probably longer than you. Do you remember Ernie Holmes? :coffee:Or even Santonio Holmes for that matter.

Providing it gets no worse than has already been reported I'll all but guarantee James Harrison will be a Steeler in 2008. That's not saying you have to like it, but I'll stand by that prediction all the same.

the thing with Santo...

By the time santo's stuff was laid out... it turned out to not be an issue at all...

Its my hope that the same is true with Harrison.

because if it isn't... then we have other questions to ask. Personally, I would want to see him gone.

If that isn't going to happen (NFLPA is way too powerful), then a nice LARGE fine and a BIG suspension.

However, I have a feeling the Steelers have stuff writtne into the contracts.

BTW.. Ernie Holmes... Sad to see him pass. From his days as a player... to an ordained minister.

Preacher
03-09-2008, 12:24 AM
Let me say this, just because the domestic assualt charges were dismissed against Santiono Holmes doesn't mean it never happened. I'd be willing to wager it did. But even though I believe he did it doesn't mean I want to see him cut. People derserve second chances. As long as they don't abuse that chance then I can stomach them on my team.

So if I support Santonio as a Steelers why shouldn't i be willing to give Harrison a second chance if it comes to that?e

I understand what your saying.

I think its the (if true) severity that scares me... breaking through a door, slapping her, etc.etc. it just says something is not connecting.

I prefer to hear about our players getting into bar fights because they were protecting some woman's honor.

tony hipchest
03-09-2008, 12:24 AM

So if I support Santonio as a Steelers why shouldn't i be willing to give Harrison a second chance if it comes to that?i agree, and definitely dont see him getting cut.

i mean hell, ray lewis got a 2nd chance...

he probably slaps women for breakfast, at the complex, before lifting weights.

Preacher
03-09-2008, 12:34 AM
i agree, and definitely dont see him getting cut.

i mean hell, ray lewis got a 2nd chance...

he probably slaps women for breakfast, at the complex, before lifting weights.

:buttkick:

You're on a role today!!

:wink02:

jjpro11
03-09-2008, 01:11 AM
ahh profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilter

Preacher
03-09-2008, 01:13 AM
ahh profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilter

exactly!

:wink02:

Borski
03-09-2008, 01:30 AM
Aww crap.... what the eff?

before I even opened this thread I had that thought in the back of my mind....

oh boy.

we'll see what happens, but I have no respect for a man who smacks a woman, I am glad I didnt get his jersey last year...

paw-n-maul-u
03-09-2008, 03:01 AM
time out.

you sure he didn't just slap around another browns fan?

Preacher
03-09-2008, 03:04 AM
time out.

you sure he didn't just slap around another browns fan?

Well.. it would be understandable... unless it was a female Browns fan.

paw-n-maul-u
03-09-2008, 03:08 AM
Well.. it would be understandable... unless it was a female Browns fan.

didn't you know? browns fans -men and women -look the same

dogs.

Elvis
03-09-2008, 05:21 AM
Aww crap.... what the eff?

before I even opened this thread I had that thought in the back of my mind....

oh boy.

we'll see what happens, but I have no respect for a man who smacks a woman, I am glad I didnt get his jersey last year...
Mr. Borski
I couldnt have said it better myself brother. This is a bad sign of this guy in my opinion.
:helmet:

sherlock
03-09-2008, 06:23 AM
IF this is true then I hope the Steelers take strong action....if Goodell doesn`t want to do something about this kind of this shit then hopefully Mr.Rooney will set an example to the rest of the NFL.....this is a huge problem in AF and something needs to be done.
None of us are angels but there is a line that shouldn`t be crossed ....if you do then suffer the consequences whether you`re a professional football player or not.
I`ve had this (mis?)conception that the Steelers are an honourable sporting organisation based on old fashioned Corinthian ideals.
If James is foung guilty then I would rather loose games without him than win them with him.
Hopefully the allegations are false.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-09-2008, 06:58 AM
IF this is true then I hope the Steelers take strong action....if Goodell doesn`t want to do something about this kind of this shit then hopefully Mr.Rooney will set an example to the rest of the NFL.....this is a huge problem in AF and something needs to be done.
None of us are angels but there is a line that shouldn`t be crossed ....if you do then suffer the consequences whether you`re a professional football player or not.
I`ve had this (mis?)conception that the Steelers are an honourable sporting organisation based on old fashioned Corinthian ideals.
If James is foung guilty then I would rather loose games without him than win them with him.
Hopefully the allegations are false.

In true Goodell fashion...I'm sure he will take away our non-existant 7th round choice this year......4 days before seeing any evidence at all.

redst3
03-09-2008, 07:50 AM
These people sure do make a ton of money to be acting like this. I agree with what some others have pointed out about society's double standard. Let's realize that if you or I, making the peanuts we pull in do this we are fired and no one any where is going to go to bat for us. He does need to face the consequences for this if it is true, and we don't know that it is.

First mistake??? He does have a history of violence, stretching back to his high school days...

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_398120.html

Aagren
03-09-2008, 07:54 AM
As long as a man/woman is not convicted they are not guilty. When it comes to people, a slap/hit in the face is the only way to bring people back from complet hystyria /schock or any simular reaction, and I don't think we have any right to accuse a man or wanting to fire anybody before we now the result of a court apperance. And i do agree with most in here that people always have a second chance, but that is all, if you do not learn from your first mistake, your dumm.
That is just a Danes oppinion. Looking forward to winning SB VXIII

HometownGal
03-09-2008, 08:02 AM
Though I find Harrison's purported behavior reprehensible for a variety of reasons, I'm going to wait until the entire story comes out before I pass judgment here. If Silverback did indeed break the door down and slapped this woman in the face as is being reported, he should be in anger management therapy instead of on a football field this coming season imho. I think we as Steelers fans are aware of and respect the standards the Rooneys hold their players to.

redst3
03-09-2008, 08:22 AM
I'm not even going to pretend to know what it is like to grow up in his shoes, .

I agree. I just posted the article. It says he has faced assault charges before. Several people keep posting things about "making one mistake." Thats not the case.

As I stated earlier, the American way is "innocent until proven guilty."

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Zulater, you are going to find out the crowd here allows no man to make a mistake in his life and move forward. You are completely right young people make mistakes that is how you learn lessons in life. Somehow I think there are at least 10-12 people on this board who have never made a mistake in their lives . Young people make mistakes, I hope he learns form this and becomes a better man.

Using salt instead of sugar... is a mistake.
Putting money in a credit column instead of the debit column in your checkbook... is a mistake.
Introducing someone by the wrong name...is a mistake.

Taking the time to break down a door....break a phone in two...and slap a female....are not mistakes.

If this happened as reported.... I think logic dictates that Harrison did not "slip and fall through the door"....did not "open the phone too far and too fast" and break it...did not "try and swat a fly that happened to land on his girlfriends face"

Breaking down a door is a willful act
Taking and breaking a cellphone is willful criminal damage to property and interferring with a report of Domestic Violence.
Slapping another person is assault.

Bengal....Patriot*...or Steeler...if this happened as reported we must all look at it through the eyes of the law and not the rose-colored glasses of Sports Worship.

Michael Keller
03-09-2008, 08:25 AM
If we can accept two points of contention, # 1 The door was knocked down and #2 the woman had a mark or marks on her face then there is an obvious act of violence on the part of Harrison.

The Steelers must do something , suspend him for several games with no pay, trade him or cut him. What does second chance mean without consequences. Nothing ! IF IT IS TRUE I think the Steelers could trade him.. The Steelers must remain a class organization.

Personally I am tired of this behavior. Come on hitting a woman than driving your massive body off in your hummer.

Galax Steeler
03-09-2008, 08:29 AM
I agree. I just posted the article. It says he has faced assault charges before. Several people keep posting things about "making one mistake." Thats not the case.

I have to agree if he has faced assault charges before then he has a problem and if he is convicted then I say cut him.

zulater
03-09-2008, 08:43 AM
Though I find Harrison's purported behavior reprehensible for a variety of reasons, I'm going to wait until the entire story comes out before I pass judgment here. If Silverback did indeed break the door down and slapped this woman in the face as is being reported, he should be in anger management therapy instead of on a football field this coming season imho. I think we as Steelers fans are aware of and respect the standards the Rooneys hold their players to.

I don't think you have to forego an entire football season in order to take some anger management classes.

Look I'm not saying he should go unpunished but to me this doesn't really rise to the level that most of you seem to think it does. He slapped her, which left a "red mark" on her face , and then broke her phone and proceeded to vacate premises. Who knows what prompted it, infidelity, drug abouse ( which could be her as easily as him ) gambling ( my brothers first wife bilked him out of tens of thousands of dollars due to a gambling habit before he became aware of the scope of the problem, but no he never laid hands on her) etc etc etc....

Anyway what we know is that he temporarily lost control, and that he inflicted minimal physical damage when obviously he's capable of much worse. Bad news yes, but not unforgivable.

stillers4me
03-09-2008, 08:50 AM
Gawd.........I HATE THE OFFSEASON!

The difference between the Bengals and the Steelers is that the Bengals knowingly bring in bad characters and think playing football will change it all. The Steelers bring in players of character and expect them to stay that way. I hope this all comes around to a he said she said. Goodell will suspend him for one or two games and the Rooney's will move on UNLESS it happens again. Then one of my favorite players will be gone.

And NO.............you and I don't lose our jobs over things like this unless it happens on company property and time.

With Santonio, I really believe that was a case of a woman seeing $$$ before her eyes. With Davenport, I think he was dealing with a nutcase and wanted to get his child out of the situation. (Cedrick Wilson was living with a nutcase, too, remember?). Hopefully, this will also turn out to be a case of emotion run amock and we can move on. I am not saying that abuse against women is a small thing, I have just known women that really know how to push the buttons.

James, James, James.............

SteelCityMan786
03-09-2008, 08:57 AM

I wouldn't be stunned if he is found guilty that the Rooney's make that part of his punishment.

However, like I said earlier. This story appears Skeptical, that's why I'm holding back here for awhile like HTG. This story has way too many questions.

fansince'76
03-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Zulater, you are going to find out the crowd here allows no man to make a mistake in his life and move forward. You are completely right young people make mistakes that is how you learn lessons in life. Somehow I think there are at least 10-12 people on this board who have never made a mistake in their lives . Young people make mistakes, I hope he learns form this and becomes a better man.

Yeah, my bad. I've managed to make it through 40 years of life without getting arrested. Shame on me. :coffee:

HometownGal
03-09-2008, 09:13 AM
I don't think you have to forego an entire football season in order to take some anger management classes.

I was saying that facetiously, zu - honest. :wink02:

Look I'm not saying he should go unpunished but to me this doesn't really rise to the level that most of you seem to think it does. He slapped her, which left a "red mark" on her face , and then broke her phone and proceeded to vacate premises. Who knows what prompted it, infidelity, drug abouse ( which could be her as easily as him ) gambling ( my brothers first wife bilked him out of tens of thousands of dollars due to a gambling habit before he became aware of the scope of the problem, but no he never laid hands on her) etc etc etc....

Anyway what we know is that he temporarily lost control, and that he inflicted minimal physical damage when obviously he's capable of much worse. Bad news yes, but not unforgivable

Now here is where I disagree with you. I know that people - both male and female - know exactly what buttons to push to get a reaction out of their spouses or significant others. Maybe Silverback's g/f went too far and pushed too many buttons - I don't know as I wasn't there and the other side of the story hasn't been told as of yet. In any event, no one has the right to lay their hands on another person and I don't care who it is. In any venue that is viewed as an assault. The best thing for him to have done in this situation is to simply leave the premises without all of the other fanfare. Again, though - I am going to wait until I hear James' side of the story before passing judgment on him, which is the fair thing to do.

Atlanta Dan
03-09-2008, 09:25 AM

Post of the day

I am confident there are more than 10-12 people on this board that have not slapped their wives or girlfriends around if you are implying we have committed acts just as serious.

Harrison was not arrested for making a "mistake" - he was arrested because there was apparently probable cause that he had the specific intent to commit assault

Where exactly do you draw the line - should the two men younger than Harrison who killed the co-eds at Auburn and Chapel Hill be allowed to "learn lessons" and "move forward" after having a "teachable moment" that murder is inappropriate?

Of course Harrison's conduct is not that egregious, which is why his punishment will be less than the penalty for first degree murder. Nevertheless, Harrison is subject to the same laws the rest of us are when it comes to domestic assault, which do not treat that sort of conduct as a mistake but treat it as a crime. Furthermore, he damn well knows Goodell has a code of conduct about this sort of behavior that is being enforced.

I do not believe he will be cut but if he did what he is accused of doing a 4 week suspension seems to be in his future and will be appropriate..

stillers4me
03-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Yes, It sounds bad.

But I am waiting (and unfortunately these things take a while in court) for all the facts. And we may never know all the facts. If it is indeed all true and he is at fault, I hope he makes a statement that is regrets his actions , accepts his punishment , and will take apporpriate steps to make sure it never happens again. I think the Rooneys would be happy with that, a man standing up and taking responsibilty for his actions.

James is not a dumb, young kid, nor does he have a history (that we know of) of this kind of behavior. He is not Bengal caliber, he knows what it means to be a Steeler and was really happy and proud of his accomplishments this year. When he was named to the Pro Bowl, he was like kid going to Disneyland ........he was thrilled to be chosen. HIs teammates also must think alot of him........they named him MVP over Ben.

I met James last year, yes just for few minutes, but I looked into his eyes and saw a decent young man. He's fierce on the football field, and if the woman pushed his buttons (which is almost what always happens), he lost control. It sounds like he walked away before he did some real damage, thank God. It's too bad he didn't think about that a few minutes earlier. But he is only human.

Let's hear his side before we string him up for good. I would say this for any of our players that have troubles with the law. If he was caught with drugs or was charged with a gun felony, I would have no problems with him being cut. Emotion based charges need time to cool off and sort out the facts. Let's give him that.

Atlanta Dan
03-09-2008, 09:32 AM
After reading Dan's book I really think he is more apt to give someone a second chance then any one here on this board. Dan is really a true softie at heart, he truly cares about the people that work for him and I couldn't see him cutting someone for one small simple mistake. I believe he would judge them based on what type of person he thought they were not based on their football skills or what the paper says..

Of course Dan Rooney is not calling the shots on day to day operations - AJR II is,

I do not think AJR II will order him to be cut either, but his mindset may be a little different than that of his father.

stillers4me
03-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Steelers/NFL
Steelers' Harrison charged
Sunday, March 09, 2008
By Jim McKinnon, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison was arrested yesterday on charges that he assaulted his girlfriend in Ohio Township.

Mr. Harrison, 29, of Franklin Park, was arraigned yesterday on charges of simple assault and criminal mischief.

Ohio Township police said the woman, Beth Tibbott, who turns 30 tomorrow, called police after Mr. Harrison had assaulted her.

According to the affidavit filed in support of the arrest, Ms. Tibbott and the pro-football player were arguing at her Sonie Drive residence just before 1 p.m. when she locked herself in a bedroom.

Mr. Harrison broke down the door and, while Ms. Tibbott was trying to call 911, he took her cell phone and broke it in half, according to the affidavit.

Ms. Tibbott said he then hit her with an open hand in the face, knocking off her glasses. Township police said her left cheek showed "red marks."

Mr. Harrison left the house driving a tan Hummer and a few minutes later Franklin Park police pulled him over as he was headed to his home on Matterhorn Road.

Police brought him back to the scene, where police said he corroborated what Ms. Tibbott had reported to authorities.

Mr. Harrison was arraigned in Night Court and released on his own recognizance pending a preliminary hearing Thursday at 8:30 a.m. before District Judge Tara L. Smith.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08069/863787-66.stm

James is already taking responsibilty for his actions. I have a gut feeling that he will man up to his punishment, and hopefully become a new man, starting today. I think that's just the kind of man he is.

83-Steelers-43
03-09-2008, 09:38 AM
We Ain't the Bengals.

I don't care WHO it is.

I agree completely. If this turns out to be true (and it doesn't sound good), I would have no problem with the Steelers cutting him.

83-Steelers-43
03-09-2008, 09:39 AM
Also, since when is 29 years of age too young to know right from wrong? This guy is not in pre-school for Pete's Sake.

Steeldude
03-09-2008, 09:42 AM
what a second guys. we are getting ahead of ourselves here. we don't know what his woman did yet. for all we know she could have burned dinner, spoke without asking permission or he had to repeat an order twice.

83-Steelers-43
03-09-2008, 09:43 AM
what a second guys. we are getting ahead of ourselves here. we don't know what his woman did yet. for all we know she could have burned dinner, spoke without asking permission or he had to repeat an order twice.

LOL.....Oh man. :dang:

GBMelBlount
03-09-2008, 09:56 AM

EXACTLY what I have been wondering too!

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Yeah, my bad. I've managed to make it through 40 years of life without getting arrested. Shame on me. :coffee:

Should I bring up that weekend in....Taiwan!!!???:moon::whip:

zulater
03-09-2008, 10:00 AM
I was saying that facetiously, zu - honest. :wink02:

Now here is where I disagree with you. I know that people - both male and female - know exactly what buttons to push to get a reaction out of their spouses or significant others. Maybe Silverback's g/f went too far and pushed too many buttons - I don't know as I wasn't there and the other side of the story hasn't been told as of yet. In any event, no one has the right to lay their hands on another person and I don't care who it is. In any venue that is viewed as an assault. The best thing for him to have done in this situation is to simply leave the premises without all of the other fanfare. Again, though - I am going to wait until I hear James' side of the story before passing judgment on him, which is the fair thing to do.

I'm not saying there's situations that make it ok to hit your significant other, just that there are times when it becomes somewhat understandable. For instance say you found out your gf ( or bf in your case Marianne:wink:) had been driving around with your kid(s) stoned out of their mind, or left the kids in the car in an undesirable neighborhood while they went in to score or use drugs, tell me you wouldn't be tempted to go a little medievel on them? That's not saying something like that occured here, because we just don't know what promted it as of yet. But in my opinion there are times when violence is understandable, though still not acceptable. And again in my opinion a slap that leaves a red mark shouldn't be confused with an all out assualt and needs to be distinguished as such.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-09-2008, 10:03 AM
First, when cops are called for domestic violence someone ALWAYS goes to jail. Evidence of violence or not. We do not know when he hit her, it may have been after the cops were called.

One thing about significant others...be them wives, girlfriends, or exes...they know what pushes their guy (or ex guy) over the edge.

I have been fighting with my ex-girlfriend for the last week because I have a new girlfriend. I now understand why her most recent ex-boyfriend (not me, another guy)
and her ex-hustband hit her.

If he did indeed hit her, then he deserves punishment. Anger managment, a nice big fine...possibly a suspension if that's something Roger Goodell sees fit.

Oh, I am sure the door and cell phone can be replaced. The story makes it sound like he beat down the door and snapped her cell phone in half. He probally broke the lock on the door when he forced it open and the cell phone (which he probally bought which makes it his property) probally broke in half when he grabbed it and she didn't let go.

Should this go unpunished? No. Should he be kicked off the team? No. If this happens a second time, should he be kicked off the team? Yes.

I am all for giving people second chances. If he screws up like this again, then he's a repeat offender and should be kicked off the team. But he's no Chris Henry or Pacman Jones...this is the first time he's done anything of this magnitude since coming into the NFL.

I would also like to know what the fight was about before I pass judgement. For all we know, she was cheating on him and he found out...that will push just about anyone (man or woman) over the edge.

83-Steelers-43
03-09-2008, 10:03 AM

The other American way is "If proven guilty, make up as many excuses as you can for his actions."...

Examples:

"He's almost hitting 30 years of age, he's still young. He doesn't know any better."

"He had a bad childhood. So it's understandable and okay."

"The NFL should have some type of offseason program for these athletes. You know, to keep them busy during the offseason so they stay out of trouble."

:coffee:

zulater
03-09-2008, 10:09 AM

I know it's inappropriate, but damn if that aint funny. :rofl::

SteelersJW
03-09-2008, 10:25 AM
You know, if I was James Harrison's women I wouldn't F|_|Ck with him.

83-Steelers-43
03-09-2008, 10:32 AM
You know, if I was James Harrison's women I wouldn't F|_|Ck with him.

She should have went 'Cedrick Wilson's g/f' on him and shot him in the nuts.

Thankfully for Wilson, he was man enough and mature enough to leave the situation.

TackleMeBen
03-09-2008, 11:02 AM
he was just keeping his pimp hand strong...lol. j/k

seriously though, we dont know what set him off. as i woman its always the mans fault in domestic cases.. but there are women that have beaten the hell out of men too.

we all know that we get mad and lose control sometimes. we are only humans. yes the right thing is to leave the situation, but maybe she was still going on about whatever it was they were arguing about and wouldnt shut up and he got fed up.

not saying that what he did was right. but in this day and in age people are a little more crazier.

83-Steelers-43
03-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Police brought him back to the scene, where police said he corroborated what Ms. Tibbott had reported to authorities.

:coffee::yawn:

I can only imagine the responses if the headline read...

"New England Patriot Arrested on Assault Charges"

or...

"Cincinnati Bengal Arrested on Assualt Charges"

etc. etc.

Love that double standard. :thumbsup:

Newzfoxjr
03-09-2008, 11:15 AM
That's pretty effed up.

You can't have a 53 man roster with NO-ONE that ever gets in trouble or ever has, I mean, it's practically impossible. People are going to be like this. Even when the Bengals were going on with this, before it got out of hand, I thought this.

I'm not saying he should be cut or anything, but eh...it is what it is...a stupid decision.

83-Steelers-43
03-09-2008, 11:19 AM
You can't have a 53 man roster with NO-ONE that ever gets in trouble or ever has, I mean, it's practically impossible. People are going to be like this.

Exactly, just like Bam and last I heard, he was playing indoor ball.

Tankus_Maximus
03-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Oh man...this is somejacked up sh !t.

I'm gonna reserve judgment until all the facts are out.

If it is true, don't let the door hit ya' where the good Lord split ya'!

stillers4me
03-09-2008, 11:31 AM
If you knew my ex-husband's wife (who broke up our marriage, with his help, of course), you'd want to bitch-slap her yourself. Seriously.

Anyways.......................

From what I've read about James Harrison, he really doesn't care what any of us think about him or the way he plays. But he does care what his momma and daddy think. And momma ain't too happy with him today, you can bet on it. :nono:

Nothing worse that than to him. Until he's sitting across from Dan Rooney.
And I believe Dan will judge him fairly based on the facts (and it doesn't look like James is trying to hide anything) and his overall character.

He'll be wearing black and gold this year.

Give It To Abercrombie
03-09-2008, 11:58 AM
I don't intend on pointing fingers at specific people here based on their posts, but I would like to say that some of them were pretty class-less. This isn't a joke. The fact that he went back to the scene with police and admitted her story was accurate is enough for me. I don't care what she said or did. If she came at him with a weapon, defend yourself. She locked herself in a different room and tried to call for help. I am not suggesting to the Rooneys what they should do with him but I would be all for it if they cut him. If a friend of mine did this, he had better hope the cops got there first because I would bounce him off every wall in the house. I don't give a crap how big he is. You do not lays hands on a woman.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-09-2008, 12:03 PM
So to sum up everyone that has been arrested is a bad person and everyone who hasn't is a good person.

Not ever implied....at least state your case fairly.

stillers4me
03-09-2008, 12:15 PM
On a lighter note.........I was curious at what our Bungle friends were saying about all of this..........

The Steelers should cut him so the Bengals can upgrade at linebacker.

His league mandated punishment will be a 10% raise and a box for him and his family at next year's Super Bowl assuming his team isn't handed the AFC championship.

At least he didn't take a swing at his coach. :sofunny:

OneForTheToe
03-09-2008, 02:01 PM
For the record, I think the longest the Steelers can suspend Harrison is four games. IIRC, only the Comish can suspend for longer.

lilyoder6
03-09-2008, 02:10 PM
i think this is getting blown out of proportion... he admitted slapping her and he knows he did wrong.. it's not like james has a history of violence.... lets just see how it pans out

83-Steelers-43
03-09-2008, 02:13 PM
I don't intend on pointing fingers at specific people here based on their posts, but I would like to say that some of them were pretty class-less. This isn't a joke. The fact that he went back to the scene with police and admitted her story was accurate is enough for me. I don't care what she said or did. If she came at him with a weapon, defend yourself. She locked herself in a different room and tried to call for help. I am not suggesting to the Rooneys what they should do with him but I would be all for it if they cut him. If a friend of mine did this, he had better hope the cops got there first because I would bounce him off every wall in the house. I don't give a crap how big he is. You do not lays hands on a woman.

The guy already agreed with what she stated. What else is there to say?

Apparently slapping a woman, while she attempted to lock the door (after he busted it down) and calling 911 is her fault.

LOL, wow. Like I said, if he wore a different a jersey I wonder what would be said. It's a joke. Imagine if it were Brady? Holy hell, I can see it now.

Steel Buckeye
03-09-2008, 02:32 PM
I think he should be suspended for at least 2 games. If an incident like this happens again, then he should be released.

beSteelmyheart
03-09-2008, 02:35 PM
I've lost a good measure of respect for a man who had become one of my favorite players. He might not get cut from the team & I hope he does get some help, but it won't be the same. And now fans from other teams can joke about the Steelers being a bunch of woman beaters. Just great.

aclark99
03-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Harrison should be left go for this type of behavior. Remember, Davenport is going thru this also. They already brought in a replacement for him. I wouldn't be surprised to this happen to Harrison's position. We don't need players like this on our team. This is what tears teams down. Harrison should be traded or released.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-09-2008, 03:44 PM
James, give this consideration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loWrI1FneSM

fansince88
03-09-2008, 04:34 PM
I think that any player that is arrested for any reason, and they are quilty, then they should be released from their contracts. It's about time something is done to show these guys they are not above the law.

BlastFurnace
03-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Without knowing the full story I wont condemn him, even if he did break through the door. I mean honestly James Harrison has the capacity to put a grown man let alone woman in the hospital if he was ill intended.

Look I don't want to come across as defending spousal abuse, because it's a hideous thing. But at the same token people make mistakes, particularly young people. And assuming he went no farther than one open handed slap and there's no prior history of it then I think you've got to give him a second chance.

I agree with you. Having a wife and kids myself, it's something that I would never do. When a woman makes you so mad like that, you turn and walk...or run if necessary away until you cool off. IMO, some people do know what buttons to push, but it's just plain wrong to hit a woman...in such cases, leave the scene.

As far as James as a member of this football team, we haven't had one issue with James up to this point as a citizen or as a teammate. If he is guilty, let the law take it's due course and let him deal with the punishment. I have a hard time believing that with Davenport having eye witnesses of him hitting his girlfriend...and not getting cut...that the Steelers will cut James over this.

Bottom line is that James needs to grow up as a human being and realize that anger on the football field is great for the fans, but that same anger needs to stay on the field.

redst3
03-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Again and again in this thread people keep saying he "hasn't done this before" and "he doesnt have a history of this" when in fact thats not the case. He got in big trouble for this kind of thing in High School, which cost him while being recruited.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_398120.html

He's a great ballplayer, one of my favorites, but he has been in trouble before. If he was Ray Lewis or one of those Bengals, would you view it differently?

stillers4me
03-09-2008, 05:15 PM
HIgh school?????????

That was over 12 years ago.

And as for the reference to the Bengals, it's not the players I have the problem with, it's the organization that continually takes in these kid of guys over and over and over. And how many times does Chris Henry have to get arrested?????? To the best of my knowledge, this is the first time James Harrison has been in charged with anyting while playing in the NFL. And he's almost 30 years old.

Football players are rarely choir boys. Ok.....maybe Danny Sepulveda. But I really think Harrison is going to focus like a fiend on his career after this. He already is known for his commitment......even Tomlin has spoken of it.

TackleMeBen
03-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Football players are rarely choir boys. Ok.....maybe Danny Sepulveda
he wouldnt want to deal with HTG if he wasnt a choir boy..lol...:wink02:

could you people imagine if this had been ben.. would all of us being calling for him to be cut?

HometownGal
03-09-2008, 05:28 PM
If he was Ray Lewis or one of those Bengals, would you view it differently?

I wouldn't view it any differently, but I think some who are defending and/or attempting to somehow justify Harrison's actions would be over in the BF crucifying the accused if he wasn't one of our own.

I'm taking the same stance here as I always do no matter who the perp is. Until the entire story comes out as to the whys and becauses, it isn't fair to throw him under the bus, though his purported admission that he slapped this woman in the face leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth, admittedly. The only way that I would support his actions would be if he was defending himself against bodily harm and at this point, nothing has been reported one way or the other in that regard.

HometownGal
03-09-2008, 05:29 PM
could you people imagine if this had been ben.. would all of us being calling for him to be cut?

Probably not all of us, but I certainly would want him to be punished accordingly.

stillers4me
03-09-2008, 05:47 PM
None of us were there. We don't know how it happened.

There are alot of vindictive women out there. Especially when their man is a high profile athelete or celebrity. James made the Pro Bowl so that makes him pretty high profile. Who knows, maybe he was threatening to leave her and she threatened him with a bogus 911 call to get back at him. He tried to stop her from doing that in the process, her cell phone was damaged and he managed to get her in the face in the struggle.

Or maybe he lost control for a minute, got violent and then removed himself from the situation ( a little too late) before the situation got worse.

Or maybe he's just a complete ass.

And maybe it's a little of all of the above.

Only the 2 of them know what happened and it will sort it self out it court.

Rhee Rhee
03-09-2008, 05:47 PM
knowing how much goodell is a fan of patriots and anti all other NFL teams i can only imagine what he'll do to davenport and harrison

OneForTheToe
03-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Probably not all of us, but I certainly would want him to be punished accordingly.

Accordingly could be both Harrison and Dookie being suspended by the Steelers at the beginning of the season for 3 or 4 games. Remember 4 games is a fourth of the season so it is more than a slap on the wrist (in addition to any crimminal penalties). Also, I'd like to see the Steelers take the intuitive if the evidence is sufficient enough. Of course the issue with the Steelers doing the suspension is that I believe the appeal of a team suspension is heard by an arbitrator, while the appeal of a suspension by the commissioner is heard by the commissioner.

stillers4me
03-09-2008, 06:01 PM
He's slapping himself today for what this may cost the team. He's let them down after they voted him MVP. I think he will be very hard on himself for this. He should.

The bright side is that he gets back on the field, he's going to be a real meance for the other team.

And thankfully, the woman was not hurt badly. It seems he removed himself before it got even more out of hand. Sometimes, you just have to be thankful for the small stuff.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-09-2008, 06:26 PM
The truth is guys, it could have been worse. He could have put her in intensive care...hell he could have killed her. Instead, he realized he needed to get the hell out before it escelated any further and did.

A door was broken, a cell phone was broken, and she was slapped (something I have seen many women do to their man, BTW).

Unfortunatly, when it comes to domestic violence the guy is always screwed, even when the woman is lying.

He admitted to what he had done, and he seems to be sorry for what he did. It seems like it was a heat of the moment type of thing. I still want to know what they were fighting about that got him that worked up.

Maybe she cheated on him, he cheated on her...maybe she pulled the move of lying about being pregnant to keep him from leaving.

And no, I would not be treating this different if it were someone from another team. The problem with Chris Henry and Pacman Jones is that they are habitual offenders. They have shown that they don't care for the law.

And yes, I know about Harrison's high school problem. When I read that, it sounded like a hazing type of thing. But he hasn't had any problems in college or the NFL...so we can't really say he has a history...at least not one like the two morons mentioned above.

fansince'76
03-09-2008, 06:40 PM
And thankfully, the woman was not hurt badly. It seems he removed himself before it got even more out of hand. Sometimes, you just have to be thankful for the small stuff.

He should have removed himself from the situation before he broke the door down and slapped her to begin with. Thankful? For what? Embarrassing the team? Embarrassing Mr. Rooney? Sorry, I can't take anything positive away from this little episode.

stillers4me
03-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Calm down. Just because they are Steelers doesn't make them less human or more moral.

I AM grateful that woman wasn't hurt. Then he'd have REAL problems. It would have been nice, yes, if he had left before it escalated that far but since we weren't there, we don't know what happened. He obviously had enough control to get himself the heck out of there before it got even worse. And it could have been much, much worse. I hold the Steelers to high standards myself, but we need to be realistic when it comes to human emotions. We weren't there. We don't know what happened.

There was little positve about the "episode" but you can always take away something positve, a lesson learned. He will. And be grateful it wasn't worse.

lilyoder6
03-09-2008, 07:21 PM
yeah at least he knew when he went over the line to leave and not stay to make matters worse.. me as well wants to know y she locked herself in the bathroom, for him to brake the door and slap her...

OneForTheToe
03-09-2008, 07:25 PM
He should have removed himself from the situation before he broke the door down and slapped her to begin with. Thankful? For what? Embarrassing the team? Embarrassing Mr. Rooney? Sorry, I can't take anything positive away from this little episode.

I agree ... there is nothing that reflects positively upon Harrison in this situation. To some of you ..... if this women was your daughter, would you sitting around today thinking what a positive thing it was of him to remove himself after he hit and terrified your daughter? Imagine what she was thinking as he was kicking down the door to get at her?

Besides, anyone who has every worked on domestic violence situations will tell you that it often starts this way and then escalates.

I'm not calling for the Steelers to cut him at this point either. But some of you, , honestly - repeatedly stating that you are not making excuses for Harrison’s actions and then proceeding to make said excuses does not make them less so.

stillers4me
03-09-2008, 08:08 PM
To some of you ..... if this women was your daughter, would you sitting around today thinking what a positive thing it was of him to remove himself after he hit and terrified your daughter? Imagine what she was thinking as he was kicking down the door to get at her?

Maybe she was thinking she picked the wrong guy to push.

Maybe he's really a monster and gets off on abusing women.

~We don't know. ~

And if it were my daughter or my sister, yes, I would be grateful that he removed himself before he really, really hurt her.

But the calls to just immediately cut him because suddenly he's not "worthy" of being a Steeler just seem silly to me.

We will probably never know what really happened, just the results.
Charges could be dropped, he may face a short jail time (unlikely since he admitted what happened regardless of why plus he can afford a good lawyer), suspension by the league and or the team.......we just wait and speculate. And I believe he will man up and take his punishment.

And remember we are all human and make mistakes. If he's a monster, that's more than a mistake. And if that's the case, it's been well hidden.

VTsteel
03-09-2008, 08:26 PM
The clarity with which most of you have denounced Mr. Harrisons behavior has made me proud. Honestly, before I read any of the posts , I thought I would be the only one to say he should be released. Don't get me wrong - this stinks on a personal level because now my #92 Harrison jersey is about worthless. (I can't wear his jersey knowing that my kids know what he did) I loved his intensity and shades of Lambert the way he slammed that Browns fan. He was easily one of my favorites.

However, I like to believe that one of the things that makes Steeler Natiion special above any other is that we (the Rooneys in particular) wouldn't excuse this behavior. Regardless of how well a guy played - and like it or not . . . he is in the public eye and a role model. To cut him sends a message to everyone . . . An organization built or character doesn't permit these types of indiscretions. Dallas, Atlanta, Baltimore, Cincinnati (and a few others) take note.

HometownGal
03-09-2008, 08:29 PM
And if it were my daughter or my sister, yes, I would be grateful that he removed himself before he really, really hurt her.

If it were my daughter or sister, he'd be pissing out his ears for the rest of his life.

If nothing more comes of this debacle, I don't think it can be argued that the guy definitely needs some serious anger management therapy.

alittlejazzbird
03-09-2008, 08:30 PM

Oy, this is why I HATE the offseason; we have too much time to talk about this stuff. There is no excusing what James Harrison admitted to doing yesterday, and he deserves whatever punishment the law and the NFL (and the Steelers) decide to mete out. Fansince is right - you take yourself out of a situation before you lay a hand on another person, and that goes for a woman hitting a man as well.

We all know James is an aggressive guy, and that's a big part of what we like about him on the field; but his own teammates have called him a "nut job," and by his own admission he's one of those loner guys who doesn't trust anyone. Is it realistic to think that players like that can just turn it off when they're off the field?

That said, when you play for the Steelers it's understood that you will conduct yourself in a certain way off the field, and repeated bad behavior will not be tolerated. I think we'll hear about the legal aspects of the case as it develops, but I expect a comment from the Rooneys or Coach Tomlin to the effect of "it's being handled privately and we won't have any comment." That's how they operate - they handle problems out of the spotlight. Look for Coach Tomlin to campaign behind the scenes for James to be given a chance to redeem himself; Coach seems like the kind of man who would want to help James address some of his aggression issues.

In my opinion, once the legal part of the case plays out and the NFL and Steelers dole out any punishment such as suspensions, James will still be part of the team. Just my gut feeling. However, any further missteps, and that will be the last of James as a Pittsburgh Steeler, Pro Bowl or not.

steel striker
03-09-2008, 08:51 PM
I don't think he should be cut , but I'm sure he will face some sort of punishment. Still not a good situation for anyone here. The guy had a really good season and, now something that we are not really used to dealing with one of our own in trouble off the field. Let's see when the facts come out.

OneForTheToe
03-09-2008, 09:07 PM

There is a difference between being grateful that she was not seriously hurt (which I think we all agree about) and taking it as a positive, or crediting Harrison for leaving before he hit her again (which some seem to be doing).

But the calls to just immediately cut him because suddenly he's not "worthy" of being a Steeler just seem silly to me.

I agree which is why I haven't called for him to be cut.

And remember we are all human and make mistakes. If he's a monster, that's more than a mistake. And if that's the case, it's been well hidden.

I agree he may deserve another chance, but only after he pays the price for his actions - if they are indeed found to be true.

Stu Pidasso
03-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Does anybody else wonder what it was that SHE said? Not that I condone hitting a woman, but it is a two way street. Did she hit him? We don't know. And what made him leave? We don't know. I'll reserve judgment until we get the whole story. The article above was just a preliminary report.

stillers4me
03-09-2008, 09:12 PM
I don't think anyone has stated that he should not have to pay some consequence for his actions.

HometownGal
03-09-2008, 09:26 PM
There is a difference between being grateful that she was not seriously hurt (which I think we all agree about) and taking it as a positive, or crediting Harrison for leaving before he hit her again (which some seem to be doing).

I see some sugar-coating of Harrison's actions and from where I stand, there is NO sugar-coating physical violence of any kind against another human being(unless, as I've stated above, he was physically endangered himself).

I don't give a rat's fanny if the accused is the richest person in the world or a bum under a bridge - if you commit the crime, you should do the "time". Take your lumps and hopefully learn from your mistakes.

Edman
03-09-2008, 09:44 PM

No, we cannot take anything positive from it. Violence is violence. James screwed up. No doubt about it.

But I know one thing we can do. Wait, see, and watch. James cannot undo his actions.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-09-2008, 10:32 PM
The NFL has a problem...it is a violent sport played by men who, by nature, are paid to knock people around. This isn't just a problem for the Steelers, it's a league-wide issue that needs to be addressed.

What James Harrison did is unacceptable - you NEVER lay a hand on a woman no matter what she says or does. Whether or not he's found "guilty" is not the issue - the issue is he has a problem that needs to be fixed. The law is not the priority here...it's a man who doesn't know how to keep his temper under control that left unchecked, could do something terrible and costly.

He has also embarrassed this proud organization and will have to find a way to get in the good graces of the Steelers' organization, fans, and humanity.

ChronoCross
03-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Ill wait for the whole story before I make a judgement.

zulater
03-09-2008, 11:25 PM
I don't think anyone has stated that he should not have to pay some consequence for his actions.

Exactly. But it's not for us to judge, allow the proccess play itself out and go from there.

Preacher
03-09-2008, 11:39 PM
OK....

For those who state that you can't lose your job for your actions outside your job... SORRY, VERY WRONG.

Underwriters for loan companies LOSE THEIR JOBS for coming into too much PERSONAL DEBT.

I am a pastor. . . you wanna bet I won't lose my job for something like that? So would my associate pastor. . . SO WOULD MY SECRETARY.

How many different hosts, actors (Mel Gibson ring a bell?) and other people are fired or blacklisted for non-job related incidences?

We have a head policemen here that was arrested in another state for being in a wh0re house. Personal time right?

Sorry. We are holding football players to the same standards WE SHOULD HOLD EVERYONE ELSE.

Even more so, they are in the public eye, thus, they should be even MORE BEYOND REPROACH. Just like CEO's, Just like Policemen, just like pastors, just like Actors/actresses. Just like :oan officers, just like underwriters, etc. etc.

Preacher
03-09-2008, 11:45 PM
Exactly. But it's not for us to judge, allow the proccess play itself out and go from there.

I agree... which is why I started this all out with IF

Steel Pit
03-10-2008, 12:04 AM
I once read one of the funniest post ever on this forum, I don't recall who wrote it but it was in reference to a player being arrested.

This of course isn't verbatim but it's pretty close.

"This player's arrest is no big deal. People get arrested all of the time for crimes that they didn't commit. I personally have been arrested numerous times for crimes that I didn't commit. I was arrested twice just last week, in fact HERE THEY COME AGAIN!"

tony hipchest
03-10-2008, 12:04 AM
OK....

For those who state that you can't lose your job for your actions outside your job... SORRY, VERY WRONG.

Sorry. We are holding football players to the same standards WE SHOULD HOLD EVERYONE ELSE.
.economics plays a part in this. supply and demand.

if i lose my job, i am replaced within a week. if a probowl football player is fired, it may take years to replace them.

it may be wrong, but it is the reality of the matter.

Preacher
03-10-2008, 12:06 AM
economics plays a part in this. supply and demand.

if i lose my job, i am replaced within a week. if a probowl football player is fired, it may take years to replace them.

unfortunately, your absolutely right.

CantStop85
03-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Those darn criminals.

tony hipchest
03-10-2008, 12:10 AM
Those darn criminals.HEY!

harrison is a "bitchslap technician", not a criminal. steelers dont employ criminals.

Preacher
03-10-2008, 12:11 AM
HEY!

harrison is a "bitchslap technician", not a criminal. steelers dont employ criminals.

Horrible... just horrible! are you sure you didn't work for the Clintons?

tony hipchest
03-10-2008, 12:16 AM
Horrible... just horrible! are you sure you didn't work for the Clintons?:chuckle: my bad. what i meant to say is james just has a CDL as a "backhoe operator".

fansince'76
03-10-2008, 12:21 AM
economics plays a part in this. supply and demand.

While I realize that is the reasoning behind the allowances made for professional athletes for behavior like this (allowances that in turn enable behavior like this to begin with), I personally don't buy it. Nobody's indispensable. Just a year ago, many people were questioning if Harrison would be able to fill the "void" Porter's departure was going to leave.

zulater
03-10-2008, 12:22 AM
I just got one last thing to add to this thread then I'll leave it alone for awhile and see where this story goes.

I guess the most disturbing aspect of this is that Harrison admited guilt, there's no avenue of doubt that he indeed did strike a woman in anger and caused some harm. In other words there's no wiggle room, he commited a convictable offense ( though he wont neccessarily be convicted) so this can't or wont be a he said she said sort of action that eventually gets too convulted to ever successully get to trial let alone gain a conviction.

But rember this, ask any cop and he'll tell you that the chronic offender never admits
to a thing no matter how strong the evidence is. And sadly enough way too often he'll manipulate the evidence, i.e tamper with witnesses etc... to the point that he gets off. The guys that generally give up the easy confession are the first timers, the ones that actually feel a sense of shame and remorse.

Just something to think about.

Preacher
03-10-2008, 12:27 AM
I just got one last thing to add to this thread then I'll leave it alone for awhile and see where this story goes.

I guess the most disturbing aspect of this is that Harrison admited guilt, there's no avenue of doubt that he indeed did strike a woman in anger and caused some harm. In other words there's no wiggle room, he commited a convictable offense ( though he wont neccessarily be convicted) so this can't or wont be a he said she said sort of action that eventually gets too convulted to ever successully get to trial let alone gain a conviction.

But rember this, ask any cop and he'll tell you that the chronic offender never admits
to a thing no matter how strong the evidence is. And sadly enough way too often he'll manipulate the evidence, i.e tamper with witnesses etc... to the point that he gets off. The guys that generally give up the easy confession are the first timers, the ones that actually feel a sense of shame and remorse.

Just something to think about.

If he is consistent and seeks to make it all right, including counseling, etc... I will begin to change my mind about him.

But until then, well, I don't care at this point. When you put that much anger towards something, and not able to control it, there is something wrong.

tony hipchest
03-10-2008, 12:33 AM
we should put an * by our 5th sb championship because we won it with a wifebeater on the roster.

:rolleyes:

Preacher
03-10-2008, 12:38 AM
we should put an * by our 5th sb championship because we won it with a wifebeater on the roster.

:sofunny:

Cause after all... it would have altered the game... unlike cheating right?

fansince'76
03-10-2008, 01:31 AM

No, but the next time a Bengals player gets picked up on a similar charge, watch the bashing around here begin. The hypocrisy that's been exhibited in this thread is beginning to make me sick. :coffee:

Preacher
03-10-2008, 01:42 AM
No, but the next time a Bengals player gets picked up on a similar charge, watch the bashing around here begin. The hypocrisy that's been exhibited in this thread is beginning to make me sick. :coffee:

I agree...

If we are yelling about them... we gotta yell about ourselves.

However, 1 arrest is FAR FROM 9 as well.

paw-n-maul-u
03-10-2008, 01:56 AM
Are you mad we havn't cut Holmes or Davenport yet? They both have done these same things. Why is it everyone wants to give Holmes a pass yet cut James?

The people who want to cut James Harrison must be bengals or browns fans.

Only someone as stupid as a bengals or browns fan would want A STARTER IN THE PROBOWL to be CUT.

I don't want to stick up for the guy, but cutting Harrison is probably one of the top 5 worst Ideas of the offseason.

Do you know how good of a LB core we potentially have next year? Does anyone realize this?

Harrison Farrior Foote/Timmons(hopefully) Woodley

I'm sorry, but our defense has a chance to be # 1 overall again, I don't see a defense in the league that can bring the intensity and aggressiveness that the Steelers can; , and we need some attention to Silverback so Woodley can do his thing, which I honestly have a feeling will put to shame any OLB in the past 10 years. I really feel Woodley will be that good.

paw-n-maul-u
03-10-2008, 02:08 AM
People freak out way too much on this board:

lets look at potential starters with 2+ years of experience that could have a break out year

Colon
Holmes
A. Smith
Miller

These guys are critical to our future, and we havent seen the best of any of them. lets all relax and realize something:

a great quote I saw the other day was pretty muched summed up like this:

The Ravens dont have a QB to contend.

The Bengals don't have a Defense to contend, not to mention all of the drama on offense that looks for some bad chemistry.

The browns have had a BIG offseason, adding players, but really when you look at it, The steelers have spent THEIR money KEEPING their own players like Hampton, Aaron Smith, Ben, Troy, Ward, Farrior, Simmons, Ike, Willie.

The browns have tons of money to spend, mainly because for the past 10 years, they havent had any players worth spending money on.

Free Agency band-aids years and years of Draft F*ckups ... and you overpay for the talent ... reaaaaaaaaaaallllly browns, you gave almost 80 mil. to two NFC PLAYERS!?!?!?!? that both played in a 4-3, and stick them as your two bases in a 3-4!?!??!??! REALLLLLLLLLY????????

The steelers will be the class of the AFC North, and we always play up (and down it seems) to our competition, but this year every game will be a battle, and we will make a big statement this year, especially on defense if we stay healthy.

Preacher
03-10-2008, 02:10 AM
The people who want to cut James Harrison must be bengals or browns fans.

Only someone as stupid as a bengals or browns fan would want A STARTER IN THE PROBOWL to be CUT.

I don't want to stick up for the guy, but cutting Harrison is probably one of the top 5 worst Ideas of the offseason.

Do you know how good of a LB core we potentially have next year? Does anyone realize this?

Harrison Farrior Foote/Timmons(hopefully) Woodley

I'm sorry, but our defense has a chance to be # 1 overall again, I don't see a defense in the league that can bring the intensity and aggressiveness that the Steelers can; , and we need some attention to Silverback so Woodley can do his thing, which I honestly have a feeling will put to shame any OLB in the past 10 years. I really feel Woodley will be that good.

Or someone with ethics.

paw-n-maul-u
03-10-2008, 02:22 AM
Dude, ethics?

This will most likely disappear. In a month or two we'll read an article like "domestic violence charges against Steelers' Harrison dropped"

And just like probably Davenport AND Holmes, there will be and undisclosed story about an undisclosed amount of money given to this undisclosed person at and undisclosed place and time.

AND IT WILL GO AWAY. I fully predict J. Harrison to "smacking" the other teams around come football season. It's a shame, but it is what it is. Lets just hope its like an albert haynesworth situation.

Everyone gets pissed, then he plays soo good that we forget.

Speaking of, I sure wouldnt mind pacman jones on this team. What a talent.

Preacher
03-10-2008, 02:24 AM
Dude, ethics?

This will most likely disappear. In a month or two we'll read an article like "domestic violence charges against Steelers' Harrison dropped"

And just like probably Davenport AND Holmes, there will be and undisclosed story about an undisclosed amount of money given to this undisclosed person at and undisclosed place and time.

AND IT WILL GO AWAY. I fully predict J. Harrison to "smacking" the other teams around come football season. It's a shame, but it is what it is. Lets just hope its like an albert haynesworth situation.

Everyone gets pissed, then he plays soo good that we forget.

Speaking of, I sure wouldnt mind pacman jones on this team. What a talent.

1 question. . .

That is ok with you?

paw-n-maul-u
03-10-2008, 02:30 AM
not at all, ... did you read a couple lines later that said "it's a shame, but it is what it is, ...."?

and honestly, thats what it probably will turn out to be, and it'll be a stupid trailing story leading up to camp, preseason, blah blah. But dude, if pacman can get out of all the shit he did, and davenport and holmes get out of the same mess as harrison .....

harrison will be one of our OLB's day 1 to hopefully through week 16 and the postseason

The Duke
03-10-2008, 02:33 AM
I'm sorry, but our defense has a chance to be # 1 overall again

:rofl: :rofl:

have you seen the steelers schedule? lol

dude, seriously, no one wants to see him cut,but the reality is that if hes guilty then he has to pay

we all want to see him knocking out people on the field, but like preach said,its about ethics, something you don't seem to have much

paw-n-maul-u
03-10-2008, 02:40 AM
haha please, all I seem to have is a way more realistic view of the situation than the "ethical" people seem to have.

he has to pay??? thats the only thing I agree with, and he probably will. an "x"-amount of money sometime, somewhere, to someone, and the only thing we'll hear about it is "domestic abuse charges against Steelers' Harrison dropped"

It's sad that is the reality of the situation, but like I said, it is what it is.

Borski
03-10-2008, 03:03 AM
Regardless if he is cut or not he should face some kind of steep penalty (assuming he is guilty and circumstances) If he is guilty, I will have no respect for the man and I could care less if he heads to another team, I don't want some A$$ on our team who hits women no matter how good he plays football.

paw-n-maul-u
03-10-2008, 03:07 AM
Why havn't you pumped up any threads to cut Davenport or Holmes?

I think he needs to go thru the process and pay the consequences of his actions like any one else, but all this "He's gotta" "He's not Steeler material" is just crap. Giv ethe guy a chance to pay his penalty and let's move on. Posters in this thread would have had him being cut within a hour or so of this hitting the papers. Whent he guy shows no remorse adn an inabilty to straighten himself up adn becomes a repeat offender, yes we need to part ways , but as of now he's a Steeler.
I still can't believe that so many people are so self righteous that they can't see their way to a second chance for anyonw with a minor screw up. Do you think that you have never done anything abd , do all of your actions stand the light of day? We are all imperfect, some of us should own up to it.

I feel you NC steeler, and you would think that a "preacher" would be the FIRST to forgive.

It is a little ridiculous some of the responses, albeit Harrison did make the front page of ESPN. Hopefully this will go away, fast.

I'd much rather waste my time speculating about our first round. LENDALE WHITE!!!

Preacher
03-10-2008, 03:13 AM
Why havn't you pumped up any threads to cut Davenport or Holmes?

That would be because you were not on this board when that happened. If you were, then you have a short memory, because I was saying the same things.

I think he needs to go thru the process and pay the consequences of his actions like any one else, but all this "He's gotta" "He's not Steeler material" is just crap. Giv ethe guy a chance to pay his penalty and let's move on.

When he acts the way he acts, then there is a serious problem. However, I agree with you that his manning up to the event will go a long way in changing many peoples opinion. . . including (somewhat) mine.

Posters in this thread would have had him being cut within a hour or so of this hitting the papers. Whent he guy shows no remorse adn an inabilty to straighten himself up adn becomes a repeat offender, yes we need to part ways , but as of now he's a Steeler.

May I suggest you re-read this thread. I for one, and many others have said, IF this is true.

I still can't believe that so many people are so self righteous that they can't see their way to a second chance for anyonw with a minor screw up. Do you think that you have never done anything abd , do all of your actions stand the light of day? We are all imperfect, some of us should own up to it.

Please. Do not get married. If you believe that slapping a woman is a "minor screwup" you should NEVER get married. If you are, please, go learn about abuse.

You want to know why this pisses me off so much? I will tell you. You try sitting down with a woman that has had the crap kick out of her, and explaining to her IT ISNT HER FAULT. They don't get it. The abuse that starts with 1 slap grows in the females life. They return to abusive relationships. . . and one day, you read about it in the newspaper.

you think this is a "minor incident." You really don't understand what this 1 act has done to a human being, and the possible ramifications. . . DO YOU.

AND ANYONE WHO THINKS THAT A GAME IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THAT HAS NO GRASP ON REALITY.

You all just read about a slap and a broken door. I see 5 years, 10 years later, when she is sitting in my office crying because she has not been able break the cycle that started WITH THIS SLAP. No, not with the same guy, but that first slap is what starts the cycle.

That is the ugly reality behind the payoffs and pressers.

steeltheone
03-10-2008, 04:20 AM
[QUOTE=Preacher;374425]Yep.

For all of us that laugh at the Bungles and other teams with players like this... It is put up or shut up...

If he ends up as guilty, with the story as it is told... we need to demand his departure... nto that it would do any good.[/

I agree......Get rid of him.....Hitting a woman, no excuse!

Preacher
03-10-2008, 04:48 AM
I was on this board when Holmes got in trouble and Davenport, I still don't recall you getting irate.

You said IF, well he owned up to it, so it's true should he be cut now?

One slap is a far cry from wife beater, your simantics are a little over the top.
I've been married 18 years never laid a hand on my wife in anger.

My semantics have nothing to do with this. Semantics are only how words are used.

However, my experience in counseling on the back end of this type of thing have everything to do about it.

Preacher
03-10-2008, 04:49 AM
I was on this board when Holmes got in trouble and Davenport, I still don't recall you getting irate.

One slap is a far cry from wife beater, your simantics are a little over the top.

And if you were on the board back then...

You may want to go back and re-read the threads.

Preacher
03-10-2008, 05:02 AM
BTW. . . FOR EVERYONE. This is why we DO have to have an IF in our statements...

Here is an FYI.

It happens to men as well.

http://www.ifeminists.com/introduction/editorials/2001/0529.html

15 percent or so of ALL domestic abuse cases are women abusing men.

Preacher
03-10-2008, 05:16 AM

Let me ask you, since you have been married for quite some time.

Do you REALLY believe that if you broke down a door going after your wife and then slapped her across the face. . .

She would see it as a "Minor Screwup?" Because if she wouldn't, then what Harrison did isn't either.

83-Steelers-43
03-10-2008, 05:56 AM
Steelers' Harrison keeps quiet about arrest
By Brian Bowling
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, March 10, 2008

Steelers linebacker James Harrison didn't want to talk Sunday about his arrest a day earlier on simple assault and criminal mischief charges.

"I have no comment on that," Harrison said at his Franklin Park home.

Harrison, 29, is accused of slapping Beth Tibbott, 29, at her Ohio Township home on Saturday, according to a police affidavit. Tibbott told police that she and Harrison were arguing when she locked herself in her bedroom and tried to call 911. Harrison broke through the door, snapped her cell phone in half and then slapped her across the face hard enough to knock off her glasses, according to the affidavit.

Harrison's agents had no comment yesterday, said John Nubani, president of Sports Management and Marketing Inc.

Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said the team is gathering information but considers Harrison's arrest a personal matter.

Police contacted Harrison while he was driving back to his home. He returned to Tibbott's house and admitted striking her, according to the affidavit.

Harrison was arraigned Saturday and released on his own recognizance. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Thursday before Bellevue District Judge Tara Smith.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_556407.html

Steeldude
03-10-2008, 06:36 AM
i am not sure if anyone has touched on this yet. would it really be a surprise if more players hit their g/f's/wives, but went unreported? you know how some women can be about reporting abuse. i find it hard to believe with the steroids going around that some of these players haven't hit their significant others also.

this is not excuse for anyone to hit another person, regardless of gender.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-10-2008, 06:42 AM
One slap is a far cry from wife beater.

So says Randy Moss....

The law and common sense says otherwise.

Elvis
03-10-2008, 06:44 AM
i am not sure if anyone has touched on this yet. would it really be a surprise if more players hit their g/f's/wives, but went unreported? you know how some women can be about reporting abuse. i find it hard to believe with the steroids going around that some of these players haven't hit their significant others also.

Nice post steeldude
I agree with ya my friend, a man should never hit a lady or a child and those that do should pay the consiquinces. If Harrison did this then he is no different that Greg Lloyd

83-Steelers-43
03-10-2008, 06:45 AM
So says Randy Moss....

The law and common sense says otherwise.

So says Sean Connery....

"There are women who take it to the wire. That's what they are looking for, the ultimate confrontation. They want a smack."

Because afterall, in his demented old mind...

at times, you gotta "keep her in line".

Scary, just scary.

lilyoder6
03-10-2008, 09:19 AM
elvis u said it's never alright to hit a child.. kids get spanked all the time for being bad when they are younger...

but u are missing the fact that james said he knew it was wrong and he apologized, and i know for a fact that most men or do hit women or w/e deny it evrytime until they are caught red handed.. so he is on the path to recovery

fansince'76
03-10-2008, 09:35 AM
but u are missing the fact that james said he knew it was wrong and he apologized, and i know for a fact that most men or do hit women or w/e deny it evrytime until they are caught red handed.. so he is on the path to recovery

Well, as long as he said he's sorry, everything is cool.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=23763

And the hypocritical double standards continue.

The_WARDen
03-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Ahhhh shit.

spoken like a true caveman. He broke through her door, snapped her cell phone in half while she was calling 911 and then hit her.

Sounds like a man's man to me...

Suspend his a$$!!!!

The_WARDen
03-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Well, as long as he said he's sorry, everything is cool.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=23763

Hey, he's a Steeler! It's not as bad as when OTHER team's players do it....

Now, they are bad people.

:dang:

BlastFurnace
03-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Someone..a long time ago...in the thread mentioned the possibility of 'roid rage' having something to do with this and other acts of violence in the NFL. If the NFL did an honest drug testing policy, the "performance enhancing supplements" might shock some people...and yes...I think that would include designer steroids.

Edman
03-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Just one simple question for all of us "non-hypocrites" willing to hang James...

Do you believe James feels proud for what he did? Once again, I am not making excuses. I am not saying it's okay. Violence is violence. He embarrassed the organization and he should be punished.

Counselor
03-10-2008, 10:12 AM

Very good point. It is believed that 1/3 of women have, at one time or another in their lives, been in an abusive relationship----and the great majority of those incidents go unreported.
These aren't just football players hitting women, they are doctors, attorneys, police officers, and CPA's. And Alcohol and drugs are more commonly linked to such abuse than steroids. I would be very suprised if there were NOT more unreport incidents committed by players----not because I think football players are more prone to be abusive---but because its a silent epidemic in out society.

Domestic violence should always be taken seriously, but you should also get all the facts before passing judgment. I've seen people use police and PFA's (protection from abuse orders) as tools to gain child custody, or to "punish" their boyfriend/girlfriend too. So just because there are charges against someone, doesn't mean they are guilty.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-10-2008, 10:16 AM
could always trade him

fansince'76
03-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Just one simple question for all of us "non-hypocrites" willing to hang James...

Do you believe James feels proud for what he did? Once again, I am not making excuses. I am not saying it's okay. Violence is violence. He embarrassed the organization and he should be punished.

Not willing to "hang" Harrison - simply pointing out that when it is one of our own, the apologists come out, but when it's a player for another team, they're the "scum of the earth," that's all. I just think that if we're going to continue to hang our collective hat on the Steelers being a "class organization," we should hold our own players to an even higher standard than those of other teams, because when we don't we come off sounding like a bunch of hypocrites. The truth hurts.

Dino 6 Rings
03-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Agreed, our guys aren't supposed to Beat Women..

jackarse...next time walk away and cool off...stupid stupid stupid...

X-Terminator
03-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Well, if it were up to me, James Harrison would be unemployed today. I believe there is a clause in every athlete's contract regarding personal conduct and how he is expected to behave so long as he is a member of the team. If there isn't one, there should be.

James Harrison should thank his lucky stars that it ISN'T up to me.

Edman
03-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Not willing to "hang" Harrison - simply pointing out that when it is one of our own, the apologists come out, but when it's a player for another team, they're the "scum of the earth," that's all. I just think that if we're going to continue to hang our collective hat on the Steelers being a "class organization," we should hold our own players to an even higher standard than those of other teams, because when we don't we come off sounding like a bunch of hypocrites. The truth hurts.

Yes it does. Indeed it does.

Like I said before, this makes James no better than a Bengal troublemaker. Yeah, I said it. He's the "scum of the earth" now. Even if he is sorry. He willingly broke through the door and attacked his girl.

No, the Steelers aren't exactly the epitome of choir-boy class. Nobody is.

Now it's all a matter of seeing how the Steelers handle this.

BlastFurnace
03-10-2008, 11:10 AM
I have no problem with everyone being outraged by James's actions. He should be punished for what he did and not with a slap on the wrist by the Steelers and the Law.

I don't believe that he will be cut and I don't believe that he is the only person on the Steelers roster, either present or past, who has been guilty of something that all of us would cringe at or be outraged about.

For everyone who thinks he should be cut, to what extent do you take this? What about the athlete who gets behind a car in a drunken state and nothing happens other than a DWI? Basically, this person had a 2,000 pound loaded weapon at his disposal and didn't respect anyone's life around him when he decided to drive. Should that person be kicked off a given football team / league as well? Personally, I think the drunk driver is a scumbag no matter the circumstance, but hardly ever do we see the same type of outrage over this unless he kills someone like Leonard Little did.

So, if you want to cut James Harrison because of what he did, how far will you take this on the Steelers roster or throughout the league itself?

SteelerFanInCA
03-10-2008, 11:15 AM

Have to agree with you guys. Hopefully all the allegations are not true but if they are he definitely should get a second chance with a tight leash attached to him.

SteelerFanInCA
03-10-2008, 11:30 AM
I'm going to wait for all the facts on this to come out before I state my thoughts on this.

memphissteelergirl
03-10-2008, 11:58 AM
walk away and cool off...stupid stupid stupid...

Ya got that right!

What an absolutely dumbass thing to do!! :dang:
Glad I didn't get that custom #92 jersey after all....I'll be watching this unfold and if it turns out he did in fact do this...he's no better than a Pac-Man Jones in my eyes....off the team and out of the league...NO EXCUSE for hitting a woman.

zulater
03-10-2008, 12:02 PM

. People fall in life, it's part of the human condition. In some cases they derserve forgiveness and a second chance and other times they don't. I really don't know where this one falls yet?

But from what it's in evidence now I'm inclined to believe as long as he complies with whatever conditions the court sets out then he should be given a second chance. Like I've said before, the fact that he pulled up and didn't deliver a more harmfull blow weighs slightly in his favor. Had he broken her cheek, closed up her eye etc... then I wouldn't be bothered having this discussion and I would be firmly of the position that he needs to move on as of yesterday. Also the fact that he confessed as he did leads me to believe that he's not a chronic offender and probably is ashamed and remorsfull for his actions. People who have a history of violence would probably be pre-reheased in their denials and quick to lawyer up short of a good alibi.

Dino 6 Rings
03-10-2008, 12:10 PM
true, I would imagine that a linebacker in the NFL could break a person's face if he did swing with intent to hurt.

push in the face, open hand face shove, sounds more like what happened.

BUT

You don' t raise your hands to ANYONE especially women or children.

He needs anger management classes, a drug test (YES A Drug Test) Needs to comply with the court and serve anytime they see him fit with serving and the Rooney's need to examine his past to make certain it was a one time (lost my cool) moment and not a trend of his behavior.

Zero tolerance for hitting a woman, well unless she's coming at you with a knife or weapon...but I doubt that's the case since he Broke down her Door...come on man...

Walk Away...

paw-n-maul-u
03-10-2008, 12:21 PM

I dont see what you were trying to compare w/ the Kevin Faulk smoking pot incident.

I think it's a little different. Of course no one is going to stick up for/be sentimental towards Faulk, why would they, but they surely weren't calling for his head either.
He's a patriot, anyone who isnt a patriots fan, hates the patriots.
Pretty much everyone was making jokes all in good fun.

As far as a double standard. It's the nature of being a fan, I don't think anyone is going to condone to the slightest degree what he (Harrison) did. But I don't think he should be nailed to the goalpost and crucified either.

The saddest part is, It's probably Harrisons townhouse that he bought for her, which means it's his door he broke down, and he probably smacked a cell phone HE'S paying for out of her hand. Then smacked off her Gucci sunglasses that he bought her. Only, his superbowl ring was so big, it knicked her face a bit and left a welt.

(some people may be a little more joking than others). but i think a more appropriate comparison would be some forum posts on another NFL team board. (and not the bengals or browns)

HometownGal
. People fall in life, it's part of the human condition. In some cases they derserve forgiveness and a second chance and other times they don't. I really don't know where this one falls yet?

Absolutely zu. I am all for giving someone a second chance who shows remorse for his/her actions and accepts whatever punishment is handed out and gets the help he/she so obviously needs.

Like I've said before, the fact that he pulled up and didn't deliver a more harmfull blow weighs slightly in his favor. Had he broken her cheek, closed up her eye etc... then I wouldn't be bothered having this discussion and I would be firmly of the position that he needs to move on as of yesterday.

I can't believe I'm actually reading this!!! :jawdrop: So because he didn't split her face wide open, bust her jaw or give her a shiner, he should be cut a little slack? Sorry, zu, but I'm calling bull puckies on that one. Abuse is abuse is abuse and James Harrison's actions (from what we know at this point) were abusive and cannot be sugar-coated.

BlastFurnace
Ya got that right!

What an absolutely dumbass thing to do!! :dang:
Glad I didn't get that custom #92 jersey after all....I'll be watching this unfold and if it turns out he did in fact do this...he's no better than a Pac-Man Jones in my eyes....off the team and out of the league...NO EXCUSE for hitting a woman.

Again...no-one is defending James's actions. He should be punished.

My question again is...how far are you willing to take this when you want to kick players out of the league for crimes committed against another human being?

I know for a fact that there are many people who still revere Greg Lloyd and still wear his jersey on Game Day. He even got a huge round of applause when he came back for the All Time Steelers Team on MNF against the Ravens. What he did with putting a gun in his own son's mouth is reprehensible as well.

I just want to know how far you guys who want him off the team and out of football are willing to take this as far as purging the Steelers roster and the roster's of the NFL. Will you take alcoholics, drunk drivers, and other problem causers that cause heartache or abuse in others lives...and don't tell me that an alcoholic doesn't cause problems for a family that can cause serious ramifications.

If James gets jail time, he deserves it. If he gets suspended, then fine. If the Rooney's decide to cut him, then we will have to live with it. James is at the mercy of a lot of entities right now.

lilyoder6
03-10-2008, 01:00 PM
yeah and evry time a women makes a mistake with sleeping with someone they call it rape and the guy goes away.. women have a lot of power in the words they say and can make a ocean out of a lake..

and ur lucky my last post was deleted.. lol.. it was a good post except for a word or two where i see y it was deleted, b/c it would of shut u up

steel65
03-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Well one thing is for sure one more linebacker to kick to the side. how stupid can players be now a days. thank goodness the steelers are in good shape at lb

LVSteelersfan
03-10-2008, 01:14 PM
I do not condone hitting women under any circumstances. My ex got mad at me for taking our son over to my fiancee's house for dinner. She confronted me and yelled at me and pushed me as hard as she could with her hands trying to push me backwards. The Elaine Benes get outa here kind of thing except it was meant to be violent. Now if that is not provoking someone to hit you, I don't know what is. I just turned around and walked out of there and let her get over her hissy fit. In that case I suppose I could have filed assault charges, but I didn't. I am pretty even tempered though, so I cannot really judge how someone else would react in that kind of situation. Football is a violent sport and you have to have a violent mentality to play the game. HOWEVER, hitting women is NOT FOOTBALL. These players need to be held to high standards and, I'm sorry, but breaking down the door is the part that bothers me the most in this situation. It was obviously premeditated that he was going to try to hurt her to stop her from making her 911 call. The guy is another OVERPAID JERK and needs to be dealt with harshly. Of course if we drop him, he will just end up on the Patriots or Ravens roster as they need to replace those old, washed up linebackers.

BlastFurnace
03-10-2008, 01:23 PM
yeah and evry time a women makes a mistake with sleeping with someone they call it rape and the guy goes away.. women have a lot of power in the words they say and can make a ocean out of a lake..

and ur lucky my last post was deleted.. lol.. it was a good post except for a word or two where i see y it was deleted, b/c it would of shut u up

Who are you answering to?

lilyoder6
03-10-2008, 01:47 PM
fansince 76 when he posted

that was the 2nd part to my post...
and the 1st part was to show that how women have so much power in there words... and y we should wait until evrything is sorted out b4 ppl judge the situation

and to u lvsteelerfan how could ths be premeditated???

i doubt he took time out of his life to sit down and set up a time and date when he was going to break the door down and salp the girl... it was in the heat of the moment...

fansince'76
03-10-2008, 01:48 PM
and the 1st part was to show that how women have so much power in there words... and y we should wait until evrything is sorted out b4 ppl judge the situation

He admitted he did it - what exactly is there to "sort out?"

Steel_Bus_24
03-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Damm!!! This whole situation sucks!!!

Man I loved what Silverback brought to the field on Sundays, but the Steelers shouldn't stand for these types of actions. He should be severely punished if not cut. imo

Haiku_Dirtt
03-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Damm!!! This whole situation sucks!!!

Man I loved what Silverback brought to the field on Sundays, but the Steelers shouldn't stand for these types of actions. He should be severely punished if not cut. imo

What in the hell happened to innocent until proven guilty?

We should not be cutting Harrison folks.

zulater
03-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Absolutely zu. I am all for giving someone a second chance who shows remorse for his/her actions and accepts whatever punishment is handed out and gets the help he/she so obviously needs.

I can't believe I'm actually reading this!!! :jawdrop: So because he didn't split her face wide open, bust her jaw or give her a shiner, he should be cut a little slack? Sorry, zu, but I'm calling bull puckies on that one. Abuse is abuse is abuse and James Harrison's actions (from what we know at this point) were abusive and cannot be sugar-coated.

I think you missed my point HTG, I'm not saying that he should go unpunished, quite the contrary, let the proccess run it's course and respond from there. ( meaning the Steelers) What I'm saying is due to the fact that the pyhsical damage was so limited I think a second chance could be granted, provided no further damaging information is revealed in the investigative proccess. But had the girl been seriously hurt, case closed already ( from the Steelers perspective) you're ( Harrison) cut or traded as soon as the league and union allow it.

fansince'76
03-10-2008, 01:59 PM
I dont see what you were trying to compare w/ the Kevin Faulk smoking pot incident.

(some people may be a little more joking than others). but i think a more appropriate comparison would be some forum posts on another NFL team board. (and not the bengals or browns)

I was illustrating the following point:

Not willing to "hang" Harrison - simply pointing out that when it is one of our own, the apologists come out, but when it's a player for another team, they're the "scum of the earth," that's all.

How would it be a more appropriate comparison to forum posts on another team's board?

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2008, 02:00 PM
The reason that women "have so much power" as you say.....is because they have been considered second class citizens to men for so long.

Take a look at workplace inequality. How many female CEO's vs male, not too long ago women were not allowed to vote, fight for their country, etc. Look at arab nations where they cant even wear shorts because it exposes too much skin.

If slapping a woman in the heat of the moment is OK, then Ike Turner was a model husband.

I'm a huge Harrison fan, but think its shameful to hit a woman. I also know a situation where a friend had a restraining order put on him because of what he said to his ex-wife and she baited him into it.

I'll let the courts figure it out for Harrison before I make any judgement as to "entrapment" or "Greg Lloyd putting a gun to his sons head" kind of classification.

tony hipchest
03-10-2008, 02:01 PM
even if the steelers did want to cut harrison (which they dont) i think gene upshaw and the union would have something to say about it.

HometownGal
03-10-2008, 02:29 PM
I think you missed my point HTG, I'm not saying that he should go unpunished, quite the contrary, let the proccess run it's course and respond from there. ( meaning the Steelers) What I'm saying is due to the fact that the pyhsical damage was so limited I think a second chance could be granted, provided no further damaging information is revealed in the investigative proccess. But had the girl been seriously hurt, case closed already ( from the Steelers perspective) you're ( Harrison) cut or traded as soon as the league and union allow it.

I didn't miss your point, zu. It seems that you are trying to minimize Harrison's actions because the physical damage was "limited". Again - abuse is abuse, is morally unjust and against the law, no matter how limited or severe the case may be. Simple assault (which is what Harrison is charged with at this point) and aggravated assault are indeed at opposite ends of the severity spectrum, but both are considered abusive acts.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/assault

Main Entry: 1as?sault
Pronunciation: \ə-ˈsȯlt\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English assaut, from Anglo-French, from Vulgar Latin *assaltus, from assalire
Date: 14th century
1 a: a violent physical or verbal attack b: a military attack usually involving direct combat with enemy forces c: a concerted effort (as to reach a goal or defeat an adversary)
2 a: a threat or attempt to inflict offensive physical contact or bodily harm on a person (as by lifting a fist in a threatening manner) that puts the person in immediate danger of or in apprehension of such harm or contact

Again - if Harrison shows remorse for his actions (which I have yet to see or hear), accepts his punishment (whatever it shall be) and does what he needs to do to get himself under control (and keep himself under control), I have no problem at all with him remaining a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers. :thumbsup: He and only he controls his destiny.

zulater
03-10-2008, 02:40 PM
I didn't miss your point, zu. It seems that you are trying to minimize Harrison's actions because the physical damage was "limited". Again - abuse is abuse, is morally unjust and against the law, no matter how limited or severe the case may be. Simple assault (which is what Harrison is charged with at this point) and aggravated assault are indeed at opposite ends of the severity spectrum, but both are considered abusive acts.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/assault

Main Entry: 1as?sault
Pronunciation: \ə-ˈsȯlt\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English assaut, from Anglo-French, from Vulgar Latin *assaltus, from assalire
Date: 14th century
1 a: a violent physical or verbal attack b: a military attack usually involving direct combat with enemy forces c: a concerted effort (as to reach a goal or defeat an adversary)
2 a: a threat or attempt to inflict offensive physical contact or bodily harm on a person (as by lifting a fist in a threatening manner) that puts the person in immediate danger of or in apprehension of such harm or contact

Again - if Harrison shows remorse for his actions (which I have yet to see or hear), accepts his punishment (whatever it shall be) and does what he needs to do to get himself under control (and keep himself under control), I have no problem at all with him remaining a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers. :thumbsup: He and only he controls his destiny.

I'm not trying to minimize his actions, he in fact did that by holding back to the point that little damage was inflicted. ( or maybe it was just a lucky miss?) My point was and remains that the fact that the damage was minimal makes him a redeemable Steeler (imo) Had he inflicted more severe damage, it's already over,sayonara , adios, apology not accepted, go take your sorry ass elsewhere and leave the playbook while you're at it. In other words he didn't cross the line into unpardonable territory.

HometownGal
03-10-2008, 03:03 PM
My point was and remains that the fact that the damage was minimal makes him a redeemable Steeler (imo) Had he inflicted more severe damage, it's already over,sayonara , adios, apology not accepted, go take your sorry ass elsewhere and leave the playbook while you're at it. In other words he didn't cross the line into unpardonable territory.

Abuse is abuse is abuse. Period. :banging::banging::dang: Is he redeemable? Possibly, but that's not up to us to decide. If he cleans up his act and gets some anger management therapy, I would be more than happy with him getting a second chance with the Steelers. However, I would be less than honest if I said I have any degree of respect for a man who breaks down a door and slaps a woman across the face. That, to me, is the act of a coward.

zulater
03-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Abuse is abuse is abuse. Period. :banging::banging::dang: Is he redeemable? Possibly, but that's not up to us to decide. If he cleans up his act and gets some anger management therapy, I would be more than happy with him getting a second chance with the Steelers. However, I would be less than honest if I said I have any degree of respect for a man who breaks down a door and slaps a woman across the face. That, to me, is the act of a coward.

I'm not arguing that he has to pay the piper or that on face value what he did was a cowardly act. I just think that there's different shades of grey here. A compound fracture and a hairline fracture aren't the same. Neither is a punch and an open handed slap. Hell I guess we need to rerate Gone With The Wind and give it an R rating since Rhett slapped Scarlett. :dang:

csweet
03-10-2008, 03:28 PM
mallet::eyecrazy:
Perhaps James cracked under the pressure of being a new father. I understand that he and his girlfriend just recently had a child with some kind of health problems. Who knows. These things happen every day and no one cares--but I guess if you're a football player, (OJ Syndrome), it makes the news.

memphissteelergirl
03-10-2008, 03:36 PM

:iagree:

lilyoder6
03-10-2008, 03:38 PM
i want to know what made him do it...

El-Gonzo Jackson them being 2nd class to men has no impact on the power they have... i guessing that women are can seduce any man b/c they have been 2nd class to men all these yrs???? i doubt that, they know what men want and they twist into there games...

but i have one ?.. if hitting women is not ok, then y don't ppl bitch at the writers then when on tv or a movie a women gets slapped then?? i don't see any of u complaining about that?? and plz don't say it's b/c it's not real b/c some of u stated that in NO such way a man should slap a women.. so i would like to hear ur reasonings..

also if no one got a 2nd chance in this world i bet evryone would be in jail b/c evry one has done something they have regreted

83-Steelers-43
03-10-2008, 03:40 PM
mallet::eyecrazy:
Perhaps James cracked under the pressure of being a new father. I understand that he and his girlfriend just recently had a child with some kind of health problems. Who knows. These things happen every day and no one cares--but I guess if you a football player, (OJ Syndrome), it makes the news.

I care. If one of my buddies slapped his wife or g/f, you better believe I would care. Which brings me to a point, I don't care if this guy is a star football player or Joe Smith who works at the grocery store. When I see somebody on the news or on the show "COPS" getting arrested for spousal abuse, I have the same opinion. Personally, I have lost all respect for James Harrison.

Unless a woman is threatening your life (gun/knife) and you have no way of removing yourself from the situation, there is NO EXCUSE for slapping a woman. There are plenty of fathers out there who's kids were born with an illness, I don't see them knocking down a door, breaking a cell and smacking the shit out of their wives or g/fs.

I would love to see the Rooney's give him the boot, but I have a feeling this 'man' will be on the roster next year.

HometownGal
03-10-2008, 04:08 PM

El-Gonzo Jackson them being 2nd class to men has no impact on the power they have... i guessing that women are can seduce any man b/c they have been 2nd class to men all these yrs???? i doubt that, they know what men want and they twist into there games...

but i have one ?.. if hitting women is not ok, then y don't ppl bitch at the writers then when on tv or a movie a women gets slapped then?? i don't see any of u complaining about that?? and plz don't say it's b/c it's not real b/c some of u stated that in NO such way a man should slap a women.. so i would like to hear ur reasonings..

also if no one got a 2nd chance in this world i bet evryone would be in jail b/c evry one has done something they have regreted

What power???? Unless one half of the equation is mentally or emotionally incapacitated or gagged and tied down (no smart remarks from the peanut gallery here :wink02:), the other half only has "power" over them if they allow themselves to be controlled. Young man - I think you have a lot yet to learn if you believe women are the only gender to play games. :wink02:

Comparing real life with what you see on TV is comparing apples and oranges. One is real life - the other is acting. I guess Moe, Larry, Curly (and Shemp) should all have been tossed in the pokey and the key thrown away. :dang::dang:

Sure most of us have done things in our lives that we have regretted and I include myself in that category, but I strive to learn from my mistakes. Time will tell in this situation whether James Harrison will learn from his.

fansince'76
03-10-2008, 04:10 PM
All it takes is one incident to be the same as a multiple time felony offender.

What did Pacman Jones get arrested for, exactly? Being in the wrong place(s) at the wrong time(s)? We have to give him every benefit of the doubt, after all. Everybody makes mistakes.

83-Steelers-43
03-10-2008, 04:13 PM

You've got to be kidding right? Excuse my language, but are you f-ing serious or are you just attempting to get a rise?

I'm not even going to bother with this one.

All I have to say is, if somebody laid a hand on one of my sister's, they wouldn't live to see the next day. I don't care if it's a slap, pinch or fractured skull.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2008, 04:17 PM

Yeah, I would like to know what made him do it too.

My point is the history of oppression of women or being treated as 2nd class citizens is similar to racial minorities in the way that they are protected by law more than the masculine majority. The are given "power" in their protection from abuse in the same way unions give their members "power" against being abused by workplace conditions, wage inequity, etc.

As for women using feminine charm to get their way.....sure they can and some do. But to generalize that all women as manipulative and " knowing what they want and twisting into their games..." isnt accurate and sounds like you got burned or something.

Also, do you not believe men can manipulate women to get what you want?? You would be surprised what happens if you compliment a woman, cook for her or buy her flowers. PLAYERS ONLY LOVE YOU WHEN THEIR PLAYIN'

When the movie industry shows a woman getting slapped in a movie, most dont bitch because the stuntwork and the camera angle is done so their either isnt contact. Do you really think Toby McGuire was getting beat on in real life by the Green Goblin in Spiderman??? Most of the world know that its fake.....kind of like pro wresting????? Also, who in those movies is slapping women around....is it the villan or the hero.....or just HUSBAND OF THE YEAR IKE TURNER???

I believe in second chances. Dont you think women should get one?? Or should we categorize all of them as a gender that seduces and "they know what men want and they twist into there games... " and just slap them when we get angry.

I'm not saying that Harrison should be released, imprisoned, fired or anything. I'm just saying he needs help because if you are a 240lb pro athlete, the act of hitting a woman in anger is cheaper than Luis Castillo rolling up into a QB's knee purposely.

I know an old Irish policeman and back in the day when a husband abused his wife....they used to pay the man a visit (if you know what I mean) and express their displeasure with his actions. An eye for an eye!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2008, 04:24 PM
All I have to say is, if somebody laid a hand on one of my sister's, they wouldn't live to see the next day. I don't care if it's a slap, pinch or fractured skull.

NOW.....THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT !!! :cheers:

If the truth is that Harrison did this, he needs to ask forgiveness from his girlfriend, apologize to his teammates and fans for the mistake and move forward. I hope he gets it together.

fansince'76
03-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Do you really wan tot make this argument? It's obvious to the casual post reader that I condone giving people second chance in life, that mistakes happen, but do you really think that applies in the situation of a multiple none remorseful offender such as Pacman Jones?

You keep talking about hypocrites, yet you provide no proof that my position has ever wavered. Yet, where are your constant threads calling for Holmes to get cut or Davenport.

I know the burden of perfection must be weighing heavily on you and I understand you don't care much for me, but I wouldn't recommend using Pacman as a case study to prove I'm wrong.

Has Pacman ever been CONVICTED? No. So, who are you to be judge, jury, and executioner? See where I'm going with that?

fansince'76
03-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Dude ... I don't want to get involved in the whole argument here, but as for Pacman, you don't get in trouble that many times just because of bad luck.

Yes, I know that - that is the point I was trying to make. Ah, nevermind.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2008, 05:10 PM
So i guess your only outraged when he commits a crime, but it would be ok for you to commit murder ?

I know you see the figurative speech here. :smile:

Lets use a situation we can all relate to.

The comparison here is like somebody picking on a weaker individual (man slaps woman = Cliff Harris taunting kicker Roy Gerela)

.....and somebody of an equal physical stature coming to the aid of the individual getting picked on (Jack Lambert throwing Harris to the ground by the face= woman's brother beating on man).

Call it "frontier justice", "an eye for an eye", "anger management course" or "great moments in Steeler history". Its all good.

83-Steelers-43
03-10-2008, 05:18 PM
So i guess your only outraged when he commits a crime, but it would be ok for you to commit murder ?

What I'm saying is, if somebody lays a finger on one of my family members, witness protection would be their best bet.

What I'm saying is, if I see a man slapping a woman in public, I'm going over there and knocking the teeth out of the back of his head.

Keep "guessing" though.

Preacher
03-10-2008, 05:31 PM
OK...

Attempt 1 to wrap up the entire thread in one post.

A. Any man that slaps a woman (outside of actual self-defense) deserves to get everything thrown at him legally possible.

B. Everyone here believes Harrison should face legal ramifications, without his status as a football player making a difference.

C. Some people think that the legal system is enough, and his job should be left well enough alone. However, others think that the Steelers, because of their expected level of character among players, need to cut him. A middle of the road position is that Harrison, because he went right back and faced teh music, because he confessed, and if he continues own up to all things, should be given a middle ground... such as fine, suspension, drug testing, or combination/all three.

is that about it?

If so, here are my reactions:

A1: There is no excuse for abuse. If a man cannot turn away, get the keys and drive away, then he needs to get a grip on life.

B1: If his status as a Steelers player gets him a lesser sentence, I will be VERY disappointed in the entire system.

C1. I think, at the VERY minimum, he needs to be suspended for 3-5 games and lose all income. That is IF he mans up at EVERY step, goes to counseling, deals with his issues, etc. etc. If one of those things are not followed, then it is adios...baby.

Unfortunately, Tony Hip has the reality view of this situation. NFLPA will step in, and NOTHING will happen.

83-Steelers-43
03-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Well that clears it up, your violence is OK, because it's vigilantly . Will you knock th teeth out of a Dad disciplining his child too? Where would you draw the line at using physical violence in response to something you don't like?

A dad disciplining his child is a little different than a grown man slapping his wife or g/f. Then again, a slap is fine because it's not a fractured skull, I forgot what I'm dealing with here. My bad.

As for my violence, once again, you touch my family, good luck.

Preacher
03-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Well that clears it up, your violence is OK, because it's vigilantly . Will you knock th teeth out of a Dad disciplining his child too? Where would you draw the line at using physical violence in response to something you don't like?

Simple question.

If the man is beating the crap out of the child... you better believe I will step and applaud someone else for doing the same.

If a man hits a woman once, I will step in. If it is repeated, even as a pastor... I can tell you that it will get physcial.

Why? Because sometimes the ONLY way to stop force is with force.

There are times, when violence and force is necessary. At the personal level, at the local level, and at the international level.

83-Steelers-43
03-10-2008, 05:38 PM
If the man is beating the crap out of the child... you better believe I will step and applaud someone else for doing the same.

Agree completely. If I see a father or mother slapping the hell out of a kid, I would step in.

It has nothing to do with being a vigilante, it has to do with doing the right thing. We could go on and on with this...

If I saw somebody getting robbed, I would do what I could to stop the mugging.

Preacher
03-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Agree completely. If I see a father or mother slapping the hell out of a kid, I would step in.

It has nothing to do with being a vigilante, it has to do with doing the right thing. We could go on and on with this...

If I saw somebody getting robbed, I would do what I could to stop the mugging.

Weeeeeeeeelllllllllllllll hold on now.

if the guy doing the mugging is wearing a Steelers coat, and teh guy getting mugged is wearing a Browns or BUngles coat...

There may be some hesitation!

:chuckle:

83-Steelers-43
03-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Weeeeeeeeelllllllllllllll hold on now.

if the guy doing the mugging is wearing a Steelers coat, and teh guy getting mugged is wearing a Browns or BUngles coat...

There may be some hesitation!

:chuckle:

Now if that were the case....

http://barracks.4t.com/Schultz.jpg I see NOTHING! I know NOTHING!

Dino 6 Rings
03-10-2008, 05:46 PM
A guy in a Steelers jacket mugging a guy in a Browns jacket is most likely attempting to get his wallet back since the Browns fan is probably a no good dirty thief.

83-Steelers-43
03-10-2008, 05:50 PM
A guy in a Steelers jacket mugging a guy in a Browns jacket is most likely attempting to get his wallet back since the Browns fan is probably a no good dirty thief.

Same with the ones in Cincinnati. Afterall, they learn from the best.

Preacher
03-10-2008, 05:52 PM
:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

Hilarious.

I SEE NUTTING!

stillers4me
03-10-2008, 06:19 PM
When is draft day?????????

Give It To Abercrombie
03-10-2008, 06:26 PM
I wish I had never started reading this stupid thread. Some of the replies I have read have made me sick, literally.

Anyone saying "Let's wait til this sorts itself out..." HE ADMITTED EVERYTHING!! :banging:

Anyone saying "it's not that big of a deal" or "he could have done worse"....that has to be the dumbest crap I have ever heard. How about if I were to come slap your Mom or your your wife, that's no biggie, right? I could have punched her, we should take solace in the fact that she didn't get a shiner, right? Grow up.

And I didn't post any blasting of Davenport or Holmes, I wasn't a member at the time, but you can bet your ass I would have. I didn't want Holmes in the first place. I wanted Nick Mangold (hindsight is 20/20 huh?)

And while I understand that he will be on the team as a starter, suspension aside, you can bet your ass that I will be grateful for the 2 and 17 after a sack but I won't cheer because I have no respect for the man. Same way I don't cheer for Holmes. I still love the team but I don't have to love each player. That's why I wave goodbye without a care in the world to every player that gets cut, my loyalty is to the team. If you knew me and watched games with me, you would know this all to be true. '76, Duke, Borski, LLT, 83, Preacher and a few others I can't think of specifically (and I can't read all that garbage again) would be welcome at my home for a beer any Sunday.

:cheers:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2008, 06:27 PM
When is draft day?????????

I hope its soon or I'm gonna have to check if ESPN8. (the Ocho) has some classic old Dominican (oC(kfighting tournaments on to pass the time.

Atlanta Dan
03-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Even more so, they are in the public eye, thus, they should be even MORE BEYOND REPROACH. Just like CEO's, Just like Policemen, just like pastors, just like Actors/actresses. Just like :oan officers, just like underwriters, etc. etc.

Or Governors of New York :toofunny:

Atlanta Dan
03-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Unfortunately, Tony Hip has the reality view of this situation. NFLPA will step in, and NOTHING will happen.

IMO a 4 week suspension would be upheld in arbitration

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Do you really think Toby McGuire was getting beat on in real life by the Green Goblin in Spiderman???

you are going to find out the crowd here allows no Super Villian to make a mistake in his life and move forward. You are completely right, young master criminals with high tech weaponry make mistakes, that is how you learn lessons in life. Somehow I think there are at least 10-12 Crime-fighting, radiation spider bitten young men on this board who have never made a mistake in their lives . Young Villians make mistakes, I hope he learns form this and becomes a better man.

stillers4me
03-10-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm serious.

When's freakin' draft day?

Black@Gold Forever32
03-10-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm serious.

When's freakin' draft day?

Draft weekend is April 26-27 I believe....

83-Steelers-43
03-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Lawyer: Steelers' Harrison sorry
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, March 10, 2008

Steelers linebacker James Harrison is sorry for the domestic violence incident that led to his arrest last Saturday, his lawyer said today.

Harrison admitted to hitting his girlfriend, Beth Tibbot, at her Ohio Township home, according to a police affidavit. Both of the charges he faces, simple assault and criminal mischief, are misdemeanors.

"I initially told him that my advice was he not speak with any of the media nor that I speak with any of the media, and he felt strongly that I convey his contrition and his regret regarding the incident," Harrison's lawyer, Bobby Del Greco, told the Tribune-Review.

The Steelers have declined to comment on the arrest of Harrison, who made the Pro Bowl last season.

Tibbott, 29, told police that she locked herself in her bathroom after an argument and that he broke into the room as she tried to call 911, according to a police affidavit. According to the affidavit, Harrison snapped her cell phone in half and knocked off her glasses by slapping her across the face.

Del Greco called it an "isolated incident" and one that Harrison deeply regrets. A preliminary hearing that had been set for Thursday has been rescheduled at Del Greco's request.

"I think, truth be told, if he had that day back he would not have gone over there," Del Greco said, "and I think James, by all accounts, is a good guy who just feels badly about the whole episode."

The 29-year-old Harrison could be disciplined by the NFL for the incident under its personal conduct policy.

Spokesman Greg Aiello said Harrison's arrest is being "reviewed" by the NFL.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_556530.html

stillers4me
03-10-2008, 07:58 PM
And there ya have it.

He'll have no problem taking what ever punishment is handed to him.
Nothing will ever make right and it's something he'll live with the rest of his life.

I hope the woman gets the help she needs to get past it, too.

83-Steelers-43
03-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Or Governors of New York :toofunny:

Hey, hey. He didn't mean to. I'm sure he regrets it. Let him continue to be the Governor of NY. This country needs more classy individuals such as Spitzer. :banana:

Said it once and I'll say it again, I can only imagine if it were somebody from a rival team.

tony hipchest
03-10-2008, 08:08 PM
welcome to the steelers james... (hope you stay)

lesson #1: accountability (own your sin)

its in the laws and the leagues hands now. whatever punishment is handed out by goodell (if any) im sure is good enough for the rooneys.

fwiw- i believe obstruction of communication (breaking the cellphone) can be a felony in my state. james may be getting off a little lightly with 2 misdamenors.

for those who think this is wrong ROCK THE VOTE!

zulater
03-10-2008, 08:16 PM
And there ya have it.

He'll have no problem taking what ever punishment is handed to him.
Nothing will ever make right and it's something he'll live with the rest of his life.

I hope the woman gets the help she needs to get past it, too.

amen.

lilyoder6
03-10-2008, 08:17 PM
i still want to know what the arguement was about to have had lead to all of this...

tony hipchest
03-10-2008, 08:19 PM
i still want to know what the arguement was about to have had lead to all of this...talk about nosey.

what does it matter?

whether she ran over his dog, of didnt pick up his dry cleaning, its all the same.

The Duke
03-10-2008, 08:21 PM
i still want to know what the arguement was about to have had lead to all of this...

lol,why? I would guess thats personal

lilyoder6
03-10-2008, 08:27 PM
i like it how evryone on this dumbass board is trying to act all civial like they never did anything wrong.. i would bet that evryone on this board, in the world has done something that they have regreated, and when it happened all they could think of was oh plz plz give me a 2nd chance.. but yet when this happens to someone that rarely has problems u all want to hang him out to dry... good ignorance u all are showing on this board

GeneralRobinson
03-10-2008, 08:28 PM
I would not be surprised if any suspension was handed out by Pittsburgh and not the NFL. Joey Porter was caught on camera assaulting Levi Jones, pleaded no contest, and the NFL only fined him.

83-Steelers-43
03-10-2008, 08:33 PM
talk about nosey.

what does it matter?

whether she ran over his dog, of didnt pick up his dry cleaning, its all the same.

She didn't put enough HGH in tough guy's corn pops.

I kid, I kid. :wink02:

zulater
03-10-2008, 08:34 PM
I would not be surprised if any suspension was handed out by Pittsburgh and not the NFL. Joey Porter was caught on camera assaulting Levi Jones, pleased no contest, and the NFL only fined him.

I would imagine the league would look upon the assault of a woman a little more harshly than the assualt of a Bengal.

....even though they both are relatively helpless.

Sorry i couldn't resist.:flap:

tony hipchest
03-10-2008, 08:40 PM
i like it how evryone on this dumbass board is trying to act all civial like they never did anything wrong..

... good ignorance u all are showing on this board

:confused:

:huh:

:idea:

:thumbsup:

83-Steelers-43
03-10-2008, 08:43 PM

:huh:

:idea:

:thumbsup:

ThaRock's second cousin.

HometownGal
03-10-2008, 08:50 PM
i like it how evryone on this dumbass board is trying to act all civial like they never did anything wrong.. i would bet that evryone on this board, in the world has done something that they have regreated, and when it happened all they could think of was oh plz plz give me a 2nd chance.. but yet when this happens to someone that rarely has problems u all want to hang him out to dry... good ignorance u all are showing on this board

Yeah - I thought that after I punched the old lady next door in the head, poked her husband in the eye with a pasta fork and poisoned their dog, cat and guinea pig, but I figured hey - I had never done that before so it should just be forgotten. :dang:

If you think this board is so "dumbass" - why are you still here?

I have a teensie weensie bit more respect for Harrison since his apology, but truthfully, not all that much. I really hope he gets the help he needs and becomes a good role model for his youngin'.

tony hipchest
03-10-2008, 08:52 PM
ThaRock's second cousin. :toofunny:

seriously though (in response to lilyoder)... ive done shit i regret.

i drank and drove just last weekend. despite the fact that it was less than half a mile on our unpopulated streets doesnt negate the fact that i broke the law.

thats the risk i take being a dumbass.

lilyoder6
03-10-2008, 09:03 PM
and if u were to get caught what u would do?? plz give me a 2nd chance like evryone else, but u can't give james a 2nd chance..

and HTG u can say stupid shit like that but u know i'm right when ppl mess up and want to be givin a 2nd chance but they don't want to give it to a player who's been a one time offender since he's been in the NCAA and NFL??

if he was a multiple offender like pacman or henry then i would agree with u 100% of the way instead of the 50% i do now, b/c they haven't learned from there lessons..

83-Steelers-43
03-10-2008, 09:05 PM
:toofunny:

seriously though (in response to lilyoder)... ive done shit i regret.

i drank and drove just last weekend. despite the fact that it was less than half a mile on our unpopulated streets doesnt negate the fact that i broke the law.

thats the risk i take being a dumbass.

I was busted for underage drinking at a Rolling Stones concert with my older sister (who wasn't drinking and who was also driving us home).

Who in the hell get's busted at a Rolling Stones concert for underage drinking by undercover cops? Yeah, your looking at him. They didn't arrest me though. Wrote down my information in a van and let me back out. Paid a fine and that was that.

Maybe someday, if I try real hard I can reach the level of wife beater or heroin dealer? Maybe then and only then will I be accepted by a few on here who seem to think having a clean record is a bad thing. I hope, I really do.

Atlanta Dan
03-10-2008, 09:06 PM

You commit the crime expect to do the time

The more out of control you are the more likely your misconduct draws the attention of the authorities = Harrrison f***ed up - are you saying he should get a pass for this?

stillers4me
03-10-2008, 09:08 PM
I would imagine the league would look upon the assault of a woman a little more harshly than the assualt of a Bengal.

....even though they both are relatively helpless.

Sorry i couldn't resist.:flap:

And the league understands why Joey would take swing at a Bengal.

stillers4me
03-10-2008, 09:09 PM
You commit the crime expect to do the time

The more out of control you are the more likely your misconduct draws the attention of the authorities = Harrrison f***ed up - are you saying he should get a pass for this?

Geessh.........

Nobody is expecting him to "get a pass".

It seems there a lot of twisting of words and thoughts going on in this thread.

klick81
03-10-2008, 09:09 PM
Let's not forget the simple truth that us "average" folk RARELY get these "second" chances. Athletes and stars get off way too easy IMHO.

HometownGal
03-10-2008, 09:10 PM
and HTG u can say stupid shit like that but u know i'm right when ppl mess up and want to be givin a 2nd chance but they don't want to give it to a player who's been a one time offender since he's been in the NCAA and NFL??

Excuse me???????

Where have I ever stated Harrison shouldn't be given a second chance AFTER he pays for his wrongdoings and gets some much needed help?

Sure I've done things in my life that I've regretted later, but nothing I did was against the law or involved inflicting bodily harm on another human being.

Atlanta Dan
03-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Geessh.........

Nobody is expecting him to "get a pass".

It seems there a lot of twisting of words and thoughts going on in this thread.

It was in response to a post that somehow I and other posters were being piously judgmental by saying Harrison should be held accountable for his conduct

IMO I was not twisting anything

lilyoder6
03-10-2008, 09:36 PM
did i ever say he should get a pass???? i don't think i did.... unless u are dyslexic... on this post from ppl i see cut him left and right.. all i am saying is that b4 u say cut him he should be given a 2nd chance to play..

and HTG do u think that evrything has to be such a thing has abuse??? i was just making references to where most ppl deserve a 2nd chance..

stillers4me
03-10-2008, 09:39 PM
No........

It's the people saying that he SHOULD be held accountable but shouldn't just be automaticaly cut that are being crucified. Words have been twisted here for 2 days. Mine have been. People have made it sound like some of us are "ok" with what he did because the woman did not get seriously hurt. NOT SO. I am grateful he came to his senses in time to prevent horrible injury to her. That doesn't mean I'm ok with what he did. It's a pity the man is not as perfect as some claim to be that he didn't get control a few minutes earlier. Im sure he wishes he had.

WE are not the Bengals. That's not saying the Steelers are choir boys.

What the Steelers are not are habitual offenders. What the Steelers are not are enablers.
No gun felonies while wearing Steelers jerseys. No arrests while waiting for other court dates. No violation of paroles. No multiple DUI's. No puking out the window of an SUV. No Steelers on the roster with multiple year suspensions. You won't hear Tomlin blaming the police for profiling his players. You won't hear Tomlin blaming society for what Harrison did. He will expect him to take his punishment and to never, ever put himself in that position again. OR ELSE.

Yes, there is a difference between Harrison's problems and the Bengals problems.
It does NOT make his issues any less serious. The circumstances and his overall character make it more likely that he can redeem himself. I hope he does.