PDA

View Full Version : and with their 6th round pick, the Steelers select:

drew102e
03-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Kalvin McRae-Ohio University

had the pleasure of watching this guy play for 4 years, he'd be a steal in the 6th

Lindy's Pro Football Draft magazine ispretty much a mirror with the Sporting News in how they list and rank players.

Here's what Lindy's says about the McRae:

Kalvin McRae 5-9"-210 4.5 Round 6

Rarely gives up on initial contact.....does have a second gear....strong between the tackles....great vision to move to the outside when needed....hard to stop at the goal line.....NICE STIFF ARM (yeah baby).

Lacks breakaway speed....not big enough to bowl over NFL players...pass protection may need improvement.

McRae is tough.....has the all around skills to contribute immediately.

Grade 6.3

On the Lindy's scale a 6.3 means this:

5.1-6.0 Key Reserve

6.1-7.0 Solid Starter

...just putting it out there

Glace
03-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Kinda small....

most notable line:
"Lacks breakaway speed....not big enough to bowl over NFL players...pass protection may need improvement."

I'll pass...

steelymcmatt
03-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Yeah, we've already got a guy like that. People have been bitching about it for two and a half years now.

LOL.....Every fan out there wishes they had to bitch about a guy like FWP because he's so small:thumbsup::thumbsup:

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-10-2008, 01:07 PM
Actually ran even slower at the combine....4.66 40.

Slow and small isn't a good combination for an NFL RB.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Hey LLT....what kind of grade do you give Jacob Hester?? What round do you think he will go in....4th? 5th?

I think he would fit Arians offense well as a H-back and give us some improvement in special teams.

Pittsburghfan
03-10-2008, 02:27 PM
What round pick did we give up to get Rossum?

Or was that last year?
Anyway, He has a nice stiff arm which would be good and tough to stop at the goalline is always good.

yinzer-inseattle
03-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Slow and small isn't a good combination for an NFL RB.

Agree with LLT. This guy sounds like a cheap immitation of FWP. The major compliment on him is his stiff arm. Well lack of break away speed explains that. If he can't run past them or over them, I see no point. With Dookie, Moore and Russell in front of him, I doubt he would make the 53 man squad.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
03-10-2008, 03:28 PM
What round pick did we give up to get Rossum?

Or was that last year?
Anyway, He has a nice stiff arm which would be good and tough to stop at the goalline is always good.

We gave up our 7th for Rossum.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Hey LLT....what kind of grade do you give Jacob Hester?? What round do you think he will go in....4th? 5th?

I think he would fit Arians offense well as a H-back and give us some improvement in special teams.

Love Jacob Hester...I like Felton a little more due to pure strength..But Hester may actually be on more teams draft boards due to versatility.

Draft potential right now is between 5th round to Priority Free Agent

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Love Jacob Hester...I like Felton a little more due to pure strength..But Hester may actually be on more teams draft boards due to versatility.

Yeah, I'm just thinking that with Bruce Arians at the controls, the day of a 245lb RB/FB here seem to be gone. I just keep thinking that he likes the 1 back sets with guys like Jamel White (Mewelde Moore) as his 3rd down backs, so a true FB is out of the question.

Felton would be a short yardage guy or Bettis-esque guy, but I dont know if BA is a believer in that.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Yeah, I'm just thinking that with Bruce Arians at the controls, the day of a 245lb RB/FB here seem to be gone. I just keep thinking that he likes the 1 back sets with guys like Jamel White (Mewelde Moore) as his 3rd down backs, so a true FB is out of the question.

Felton would be a short yardage guy or Bettis-esque guy, but I dont know if BA is a believer in that.

That would be a shame....With FWP wearing guys down...Fulton would be money on short yardage plays.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Yeah, Felton would be money and BA wouldnt even know it.... :)

dunkuntou
03-10-2008, 06:13 PM

Thats a pretty big range and pretty much like saying he is worthy of a pick from 120-250 so thats pretty inaccurate.

He will probably be a 6th round pick. No higher than that because he doesn't have great speed, isn't that big or strong and won't make it as a lead blocker in the NFL

Hester is not worth using a pick on.

The Steelers have no need to draft a fullback

19ward86
03-10-2008, 06:28 PM
If we are going to take a small back, we might as well take the best back in the draft in Ray Rice, he has posted top rushing stats for the last 3 years and yet he is the 5th or 6th best back according to mock drafts...I believe he will be the next maurice jones-drew, but a better pure rusher.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2008, 09:25 PM

That's like saying Steve Tasker or Sean Morey wasn't worth using a pick on.

Hester will be a great special teamer, while contributing as a pass receiver out of the backfield, a tough runner and an all around team leader for 8-10 years. Bank on it.

He's too slow, not big enough, not strong enough, but when LSU needed to close out Florida....he carried the ball and sealed the deal. I'll take that kind of guy on my team any day.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2008, 09:27 PM
If we are going to take a small back, we might as well take the best back in the draft in Ray Rice, he has posted top rushing stats for the last 3 years and yet he is the 5th or 6th best back according to mock drafts...I believe he will be the next maurice jones-drew, but a better pure rusher.

I like Rice's game, but with Parker, Moore, Russell......we dont need any more small running backs.

dunkuntou
03-10-2008, 10:16 PM
That's like saying Steve Tasker or Sean Morey wasn't worth using a pick on.

Hester will be a great special teamer, while contributing as a pass receiver out of the backfield, a tough runner and an all around team leader for 8-10 years. Bank on it.

He's too slow, not big enough, not strong enough, but when LSU needed to close out Florida....he carried the ball and sealed the deal. I'll take that kind of guy on my team any day.

Comparing Jacob Hester to Steve Tasker and Sean Morey is stupid. He's never played special teams and just because he is a solid athlete that happens to play a skill position and is white doesn't mean he is going to be good on special teams. He isn't that tough of a runner either.

I am telling you that he isn't going to be a "team leader" for 8-10 years. He isn't going to make a significant impact in the NFL ever. He isn't big enough to play fullback, he's not strong enough to play fullback, he isn't fast enough to be a running back and he isn't big enough to be an H-back

He doesn't fit our team and isn't what we need.

dunkuntou
03-10-2008, 10:18 PM
I like Rice's game, but with Parker, Moore, Russell......we dont need any more small running backs.

I agree but Gary Russell isn't that small. He weighs in around 215 and even Parker and Moore come close to the 210 mark.

With that being said there has been talk that Rice will be a late first round pick to early second and has jumped ahead of some guys.

I personally don't like him that high because he is so small

MDSteel15
03-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Everyone should get with the idea that we will NOT draft a running back. We just picked up Mewelde Moore!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Comparing Jacob Hester to Steve Tasker and Sean Morey is stupid. He's never played special teams and just because he is a solid athlete that happens to play a skill position and is white doesn't mean he is going to be good on special teams. He isn't that tough of a runner either.

I am telling you that he isn't going to be a "team leader" for 8-10 years. He isn't going to make a significant impact in the NFL ever. He isn't big enough to play fullback, he's not strong enough to play fullback, he isn't fast enough to be a running back and he isn't big enough to be an H-back

He doesn't fit our team and isn't what we need.

Actually the saying is "its better to be thought of as stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" Hester only played special teams since his freshman year:sofunny:

As a freshman and sophomore, he was mostly a blocker on offense, but he also made a name for himself as a fierce tackler on kick-coverage units....He continued to excel on the coverage units in 2005, twice being named the Tigers' Special Teams Player of the Week.

I dont care if he is white or not....its just the only good special teamers I could think of.

Hester garnered All-Southeastern Conference second-team honors in 2007. He took over halfback duties full-time, rushing for a career-high 1,103 yards and 12 touchdowns on 225 attempts (4.9-yard average).

I guess you are right. 2nd team all conference in that weak SEC means he cant be that strong of a runner. :wink02:

And he probably wont contribute either. After all, I am sure you are a better talent scout than most NFL coaches and scouts.

Hester made a big impression on scouts during practices at the Senior Bowl. San Francisco 49ers coach Mike Nolan said he would highly recommend Hester to anyone -- and maybe himself.

"He's an interesting guy," Nolan, the coach of the South team for the Senior Bowl game, said at a press conference following the last full practices for both teams. "Those kinds of guys typically play. They play for a good while, and they help teams win a lot of games."

Nolan said. "But what I've seen in college of him, a couple of things tell me that he will be that guy. Number one, I believe he was a key player on the national championship team. I would be shocked if he's not a damn good NFL player for that reason alone. I don't care what they say, I'll be shocked if he's not a damn good NFL player."

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jacob-hester?id=1365

His best asset is versatility -- he is a good north-south runner at halfback, efficient blocker on pulls and traps, solid receiver as an H-back and a determined tackler on special teams...Blue-collar type, he loves playing a variety of roles and gets high praise from the coaching staff for his work ethic...Has the work ethic that younger players try to emulate

Yeah, I guess you are right....this guy doesnt sound like he would suit the Steelers. Last thing we need is some guy with a good work ethic rubbing off on other players. Its a sign of poor leadership. :banging:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-11-2008, 12:27 AM
Everyone should get with the idea that we will NOT draft a running back. We just picked up Mewelde Moore!!!

Exactly right.

Carey Davis needs some competition for camp though. I think he played his best football in the preseason and could easily be upgraded with a late round pick or UFA.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-11-2008, 03:48 AM
Thats a pretty big range and pretty much like saying he is worthy of a pick from 120-250 so thats pretty inaccurate.

He will probably be a 6th round pick. No higher than that because he doesn't have great speed, isn't that big or strong and won't make it as a lead blocker in the NFL

The Steelers have no need to draft a fullback

You propably need to research draft value boards....the value of players lowers towards the end of the draft ....so yea...it WOULD be accurate to say that the value between late rounders and PRIORITY free agents is pretty tight.

What I was saying is that I have seen Hester mentioned as high as 5th round and as low as an UDFA.... (ProFootballWeekly and Lindys rates him as 5th round....scoutnflexperts rate him as UDFA)... it was an observation...and its accurate.

Also if you would have checked you would see that he is on alot of draft boards as a tailback..not just a fullback.

Originally Posted by dunkuntou

uh...yea....here is the stats from the LSU sports site:

CAREER
One of the most productive running backs to ever play for LSU ... Consummate team player who wore a variety of hats during his LSU career ... Brought a great attitude and work ethic to the field everyday ... Named a permanent team captain for the Tigers for the 2007 season ... A throwback player who gets the most out of his ability ... Played in 52 games during his career, starting 29 times ... Started 27 straight games at running back during his final two years with the Tigers ... Capped career with 1,780 yards rushing and 20 rushing touchdowns ... Added 60 receptions for 454 yards and seven scores ... The 60 receptions rank as the seventh most by a running back in school history ... Had best season as a senior, rushing for 1,103 yards and 12 scores ... The 1,103 rushing yards ranks as the ninth-highest total in school history ... Added 38 special teams tackles during his four years with the Tigers ... Participated in the Senior Bowl following the 2007 season.

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27812&SPID=2164&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=174927&Q_SEASON=2007

as El-Gonzo Jackson stated....he is the type of player to bring in IF he slide to a late pick or UDFA....and push Davis for a role.
But as I said...personally I Like Felton better in that role.

Elvis
03-11-2008, 08:41 AM
I think someone like FB Jerome Felton from Furman would be a nice pick here in the 6th round. Jacob Hester would be a nice mid to late round pick also out of LSU
:coffee:

Dylan
03-11-2008, 08:27 PM
how about j lemen from illinois. im seeing this as maybe not a starter but a solid backup and a star on special teams. this guy is a great leader never gets into trouble and coach ron zook says his work ethic is astounding. hes a perfect fit in the black and gold. the only reason he will be availabe is because he runs a 4.85 40. but he is about 6'3 and 255 pounds.

lilyoder6
03-11-2008, 09:30 PM
the only thing i don't like about hester is that he is a small fb...

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-11-2008, 09:40 PM
I dont know that Arians system is friendly to a big back.

When I look back at the offenses he ran in Indy and Cleveland all I see are smaller RB's in a 1 back set.

The 2003 Browns roster has William Green, Lee Suggs, James Jackson, Jamel White and RJ Bowers was the only bug guy....but I dont remember him playing.

This makes me think they dont want a 255 lb Fullback and would rather have a midsized H-back.

MDSteel15
03-12-2008, 12:16 AM
We need to cut Carey Davis, Dan Kreider, Billy Latsko, Verron Haynes and Justin Vincent to make room for Mewelde Moore, Matt Forte and Jacob Hester.... That would take us from 7 RBs to 6 with Willie, Dookie and Russell left.....Nice but ain't gonna happen!!!

Steeldude
03-12-2008, 12:28 PM
the guy would be camp fodder. the steelers signed moore who his roughly the same size, but faster. i would rather use the 6th pick on sleeper/project that had to do with the OL, DL or LB

lilyoder6
03-12-2008, 01:01 PM
i wouldn't mind picking up a rb slash fb when they are not drafted and put them on the pratice squad.. but like what steeldude said take a shot on some other pos since we did sign moore

Jeremy
03-12-2008, 01:09 PM
I think someone like FB Jerome Felton from Furman would be a nice pick here in the 6th round. Jacob Hester would be a nice mid to late round pick also out of LSU
:coffee:

There are a ton of players out there that I'd love to see the Steelers draft. That man is not one of them.

BettisFan
03-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Do we have all of our picks this year?

lilyoder6
03-12-2008, 04:49 PM
no.. we traded 1 to atl for rossum

BettisFan
03-12-2008, 07:38 PM
but diddnt we let him go? and out number one jesus christ!

steelymcmatt
03-21-2008, 12:09 PM

:tt02:Round 7 not round 1

Texasteel
03-21-2008, 01:42 PM
If they don't get someone that can return kicks before the 6th, I'd like to see them take Pierre Garcon, WR from Mount Union. 6'0", 210 lb., 4.4 / 40.
Saw him in the Senior Bowl, I think it was. He is a very good KR/PR. and we need one.
Yes, I have given up on Willy Reed.

Dylan
03-21-2008, 08:48 PM
If they don't get someone that can return kicks before the 6th, I'd like to see them take Pierre Garcon, WR from Mount Union. 6'0", 210 lb., 4.4 / 40.
Saw him in the Senior Bowl, I think it was. He is a very good KR/PR. and we need one.
Yes, I have given up on Willy Reed.

i sort of have to, but maybe moore will help challenge reid to his full potential

SteelCityMan786
03-21-2008, 09:32 PM

I don't know if we're picking up an compensatory selections though either.

drew102e
03-24-2008, 12:47 PM

yeah, and McRae may not be fast but hes 'kinda quick'

he'd be a good value in the 6th if not a free agent then...