PDA

View Full Version : Why Don't the Steelers have cap room?

12+88=6
03-10-2008, 08:53 PM
i saw this on yahoo. 1.3 mill that's it?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AkMvVcvZGXskUIY09VC0Sn9DubYF?slug=jc-underthecap031008&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The Duke
03-10-2008, 09:45 PM
they're cheap :hunch:

NJarhead
03-10-2008, 09:49 PM
I think they keep more players than most teams. Look how many long-time players we have. It costs money to do that. I think we're lucky in that way. Granted, we lost Faneca, but I'd imagine if we kept him (theoretically) it would have been at the price of 2-3 other good players. At least that's the way I understood it.

12+88=6
03-10-2008, 10:08 PM

if they were cheap then i think they'd have more money to spend, not less.

fansince'76
03-10-2008, 10:08 PM

:stirthepot: :chuckle:

Preacher
03-10-2008, 10:15 PM

:buttkick:

:chuckle:

Elvis
03-11-2008, 08:13 AM
I think they keep more players than most teams. Look how many long-time players we have. It costs money to do that. I think we're lucky in that way. Granted, we lost Faneca, but I'd imagine if we kept him (theoretically) it would have been at the price of 2-3 other good players. At least that's the way I understood it.
Good point WarDen
I am just glad to see Faneca gone and the Steelers moving on with making this team better. The more I think about this offseason the more I think maybe the Steelers are gonna be needing to get an OG just as much as they need a top OT. The Steelers should address these very soon and early on in the draft in april.
:helmet:

Rotorhead
03-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Ugghh . . . . again with the salary cap. They have more usable cap space tied up in the Starks transition ordeal, like 8mil if I remember correctly. Starks is not getting near all that so best case (capwise) is we have at least another $8mil on top of the yahoo number, worst case is we lose a couple mil to sign Starks and the rest will be in cap space. I imagine there will be some restructuring of contracts going on as well so we can sign our draft picks.

19ward86
03-11-2008, 01:56 PM
We overpay guys who dont even play, ala cedrick wilson, ala clint kreiwaldt, or guys who shouldnt play, ala sean mahan.

shutdown
03-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Once we withdraw the offer from Starks that number will go up. Also look at these numbers someone else pointed out:

Sean Mahan- 2, 975, 000
Kendall Simmons- 4, 970, 000
Washington, Nate- 1, 417, 000
Wilson, Cedrick- 2, 085, 000

That's 11.4 million dollars, which I think is about 10% of the cap, being used on those 4 players. And they're all kind of not even average, they're bad.

Keisel, Brett- 4, 072, 500
Taylor, Ike- 5, 740, 000
Smith, Marvel- 6, 645, 500

That's another 16.5 million worth of cap money. Obviously these guys aren't bad players, but I wouldn't say they're play warrants that kind of money either.

The Duke
03-11-2008, 10:57 PM
Once we withdraw the offer from Starks that number will go up. Also look at these numbers someone else pointed out:

Sean Mahan- 2, 975, 000

That's 11.4 million dollars, which I think is about 10% of the cap, being used on those 4 players. And they're all kind of not even average, they're bad.

Nate is bad? wow, he's great for a #3 receiver,sure he drops some balls here and there , and that will probably keep him from replacing hines, but for a #3 guy he's good enough

Galax Steeler
03-12-2008, 03:42 AM
Nate is bad? wow, he's great for a #3 receiver,sure he drops some balls here and there , and that will probably keep him from replacing hines, but for a #3 guy he's good enough

I think we should keep him also he is not making that much anyway.

Dino 6 Rings
03-12-2008, 04:32 PM
I guess it really boils down to...do you want to completely over haul the roster, drop 3 or 4 guys, and bring someone else in?

where is Haggans anyway, I like Haggans....we should re-sign Haggans to a one year deal and keep him on the roster...

BettisFan
03-12-2008, 04:36 PM
I want us to keep Nate if we drop him we wont gain much at all so whats the point.

lilyoder6
03-12-2008, 04:43 PM
those 4 listed players with the money all of them are good players except for mahan.. he is just avg player getting paid too much

rick723
03-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Easy, they spent all their money on players

FourThreeMafia
03-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Pretty much every team has a few players that is being overpaid. On the Steelers...

SLIGHTLY overpaid...

Cedric Wilson: I agree his production doesnt justify him making much more than league minimum, but he really isnt getting that much.

Marvel Smtih: When healthy, he is worth every penny. Thats the issue though. He hasnt been 100% in awhile.

Brett Keisel: I like Keisel, but I think he is making a little more than he should at this point.

Hines Ward: I love Hines, but he considering he cant play a full season anymore and he is winding down, he is slight overpaid.

Sean Mahan: He isnt really making that much, but he is borderline. Lets just say he is overpaid.

VERY OVERPAID....

Kendall Simmons: Sucks just as much as Mahan. Big mistake signing him long term.

Other than that, Id say most of the contracts are fair. And yes, the reason we dont have much money is because we arent very active in FA and we take care of our own. I dont always agree with who we take care of, but most of the players we resign I am happy with. Willie, Ike, Troy, Hines and now Ben....if I hear another misinformed Steeler fan call the Rooneys cheap, Im gonna go postal.

BettisFan
03-12-2008, 10:44 PM
I dont think hines can be over paid I love him and we all do pay him what he wants lets let him finish his career here!

Preacher
03-13-2008, 12:58 AM
I dont think hines can be over paid I love him and we all do pay him what he wants lets let him finish his career here!

Nope.

Overpay, and guess what happens.

We don't get the LB, OG, or someone else we need.

There is only so much money to go around.

It is not there to overpay a player we love. If he agrees to a lower salary, then keep him when it is time.

Galax Steeler
03-13-2008, 03:47 AM
Nope.

Overpay, and guess what happens.

We don't get the LB, OG, or someone else we need.

There is only so much money to go around.

It is not there to overpay a player we love. If he agrees to a lower salary, then keep him when it is time.

Have to agree preacher why pay someone a pile of money when he is starting to wind down his carrer when we can use it somwhere else.:thumbsup:

dunkuntou
03-13-2008, 08:45 AM
I guess it really boils down to...do you want to completely over haul the roster, drop 3 or 4 guys, and bring someone else in?

where is Haggans anyway, I like Haggans....we should re-sign Haggans to a one year deal and keep him on the roster...

Waste of money for a guy who had 4 sacks last year and is declining. I would much rather see Woodley out there

dunkuntou
03-13-2008, 08:47 AM
Pretty much every team has a few players that is being overpaid. On the Steelers...

SLIGHTLY overpaid...

Cedric Wilson: I agree his production doesnt justify him making much more than league minimum, but he really isnt getting that much.

Marvel Smtih: When healthy, he is worth every penny. Thats the issue though. He hasnt been 100% in awhile.

Brett Keisel: I like Keisel, but I think he is making a little more than he should at this point.

Hines Ward: I love Hines, but he considering he cant play a full season anymore and he is winding down, he is slight overpaid.

Sean Mahan: He isnt really making that much, but he is borderline. Lets just say he is overpaid.

VERY OVERPAID....

Kendall Simmons: Sucks just as much as Mahan. Big mistake signing him long term.

Other than that, Id say most of the contracts are fair. And yes, the reason we dont have much money is because we arent very active in FA and we take care of our own. I dont always agree with who we take care of, but most of the players we resign I am happy with. Willie, Ike, Troy, Hines and now Ben....if I hear another misinformed Steeler fan call the Rooneys cheap, Im gonna go postal.

Simmons isn't as bad as people make him out to be. You have to remember that he was hurt by Mahan just like Faneca was. Too often the guards had to help Mahan by double team other teams nose tackles or better defensive tackles. Its tough knowning the guy next to you couldn't block Betty Boop.

tony hipchest
03-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Waste of money for a guy who had 4 sacks last year and is declining. I would much rather see Woodley out thereand if woodley gets hurt?

i agree though. woodleys time is NOW.

steelwall
03-13-2008, 09:28 AM
and if woodley gets hurt?

Agreed, even with his limited playing time last year he made some big plays. I truely believe that he is the next in the long line of great linebackers we have had. Perhaps Timmons should be the focus of our salary cap issues.

1st round draft pick, nice contract, then pulled groin in the offseason = special teams until you prove yourself.

Lord Stiller
03-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Hines Ward's cap # is like 7.5 mill this season

Big Ben's is probably more

and Starks is a lot

lilyoder6
03-13-2008, 11:02 AM
i think ward should take a pay cut.. he is getting old, and needs to be moved to slot here soon

tony hipchest
03-13-2008, 11:12 AM
i think ward should take a pay cut.. he is getting old, and needs to be moved to slot here soonward is not a slot receiver (neither was rice, or marvin harrison, or swann and stallworth).

ward is not losing a step. he never had a "step" to begin with.

but i agree that the steelers need to ask him to take a reduction with the threat of getting cut. as good as he is, no other team will pay him 7-8+ mil per year.

BettisFan
03-13-2008, 11:39 AM
ward is not a slot receiver (neither was rice, or marvin harrison, or swann and stallworth).

ward is not losing a step. he never had a "step" to begin with.

but i agree that the steelers need to ask him to take a reduction with the threat of getting cut. as good as he is, no other team will pay him 7-8+ mil per year.

If any one Ward diserves his pay

DACEB
03-13-2008, 01:58 PM
I know Foote's name has come up in several discussions about his cap number and the possibility of Timmons taking his spot.

What are everyones thoughts on Foote possibly being cut 6/1 or what about a draft day trade??

thebus36idf
03-13-2008, 02:59 PM
I know this is easy for me to say because I don't make millions. Lets be real though. Once we make over a couple million a year it would seem the rest is just greed. I know I'm going to get killed for this, but it's true. Look at these guys at the end of their career ie. Randy moss. Soon the money becomes less important, and the idea of being world champions becomes more important. People don't remember you by how much money you made, but how many world champion trophies you acquire. Didn't Bettis take a pay cut at the end of his tenure to help the team win a superbowl. It would seem to me that being a lifelong steeler carries alot of prestige, and sense of pride. For myself I wouldn't work where I do if I was looking for the good dollar. I am where I work because people appreciate me, and I am proud, and happy to be a part of where I am. The big guns here know it, and they would give me far more if they had it, but as it stands now the relationship, and the people, are more important, and SATISFYING!! than the paycheck.

jjpro11
03-13-2008, 03:08 PM
I know Foote's name has come up in several discussions about his cap number and the possibility of Timmons taking his spot.

What are everyones thoughts on Foote possibly being cut 6/1 or what about a draft day trade??

i like foote. cut him and we have zero depth at linebacker. we lost haggans too dont forget and timmons hasnt proven a thing yet.

dunkuntou
03-13-2008, 03:46 PM
and if woodley gets hurt?

Not a good theory to go by. That would mean then we should have a starter quality as a backup for every position. Not possible with a salary cap system

Haggans is overrated

lilyoder6
03-13-2008, 07:56 PM
i would doubt we would get anything good for foote.. i want foote to be the numba 2 ilb.. he's good maybe a lil under-rated.. he makes plays..

Galax Steeler
03-14-2008, 03:39 AM
I wouldn't ming keeping foote around to just have a little depth at the linebacker position.

r1stillerman
03-14-2008, 04:07 AM

Sean Mahan- 2, 975, 000

Taylor, Ike- 5, 740, 000

That's another 16.5 million worth of cap money. Obviously these guys aren't bad players, but I wouldn't say they're play warrants that kind of money either.

So what happens if these four are cut?
Sean Mahan- 2, 975, 000

I know Nate was just signed (don't know why has hands made of stone) do the Steeler free up 11.4 mil? These 4 are disgrace. Who made the decision to pay these stiff this kind of dough? Colbert? If so he should be boiled in oil.

DACEB
03-14-2008, 06:03 AM
i like foote. cut him and we have zero depth at linebacker. we lost haggans too dont forget and timmons hasnt proven a thing yet.

I agree, I actually think he's the starter opening day. But there has been alot of discussion about his cap hit, and the Pats boards are buzzing about him. That's specifically why I brought up the trade option, at least we would get something for him.

Someone have his cap number??

dunkuntou
03-14-2008, 09:44 AM
I agree, I actually think he's the starter opening day. But there has been alot of discussion about his cap hit, and the Pats boards are buzzing about him. That's specifically why I brought up the trade option, at least we would get something for him.

Someone have his cap number??

He is due to make around $3.38 million ($2.34 base and $1.04 in bonus money) and it goes through the next two season with his base next year of going to $2.88 million

Lord Stiller
03-14-2008, 10:38 AM
ward is not a slot receiver (neither was rice, or marvin harrison, or swann and stallworth).

Ward is one of the best slot receivers there is. And he plays the slot a ton just not in our base 2 WR, 1 TE offense. As soon as we bring in a 3rd WR (Nate, Wilson), Ward moves to the slot. You seriously never realized that?????:dang:

Lord Stiller
03-14-2008, 10:39 AM

Foote is not going to get cut

The thought of that is ridiculous

BettisFan
03-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Ward is one of the best slot receivers there is. And he plays the slot a ton just not in our base 2 WR, 1 TE offense. As soon as we bring in a 3rd WR (Nate, Wilson), Ward moves to the slot. You seriously never realized that?????:dang:

True that baby! Ward love!

Dino 6 Rings
03-14-2008, 04:49 PM
running skills...gots to work on his running skills...

Dino 6 Rings
03-14-2008, 04:50 PM
The Steelers don't have Cap Room because Troy has too much hair and can't find a hat that fits right

man, I crack me up sometimes :sofunny:

tony hipchest
03-14-2008, 06:48 PM
man, I crack me up sometimes

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/crickets_on_rock_01.jpg

crickets say what?

:sofunny:

BettisFan
03-14-2008, 11:07 PM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/crickets_on_rock_01.jpg

crickets say what?

:sofunny:

whats up with the crikets? :yawn:

tony hipchest
03-15-2008, 06:43 PM
for a very comprehensive answer to this question (about cap room, not crickets :yawn:)-

http://www.steelersalarycap.com/articles/disappearing.htm

Explanation of the ‘Disappearing’ Salary Cap Space
Written by me, steelersalarycap March 8, 2008

...exact numbers or not this dude is the man, and correct more often than not.

jason97673
03-16-2008, 12:56 AM
So what happens if these four are cut?
Sean Mahan- 2, 975, 000

I know Nate was just signed (don't know why has hands made of stone) do the Steeler free up 11.4 mil? These 4 are disgrace. Who made the decision to pay these stiff this kind of dough? Colbert? If so he should be boiled in oil.

People who say Nate Washington should be cut are crazy. He has probably the best production to his pay in the NFL. In 06, his FIRST year as an every week player, had had 35 catches for almost 650 yards. And the guy is getting paid barely over league minimum (Well his first two years that is)

He dropped TWO or THREE passes this year. Hardly a lot. There isnt a better production - salary WR in the NFL then Washington. He had one of the best yards per catch in 06 and that was his first year. Yet he is some stiff. Sorry stiffs dont do that.

Oh and heres another fact - Washingtons 1st year was better then any year Antwaan Randle El has ever had. I guess he is a stiff too huh?

Galax Steeler
03-16-2008, 06:38 AM
People who say Nate Washington should be cut are crazy. He has probably the best production to his pay in the NFL. In 06, his FIRST year as an every week player, had had 35 catches for almost 650 yards. And the guy is getting paid barely over league minimum (Well his first two years that is)

He dropped TWO or THREE passes this year. Hardly a lot. There isnt a better production - salary WR in the NFL then Washington. He had one of the best yards per catch in 06 and that was his first year. Yet he is some stiff. Sorry stiffs dont do that.

Oh and heres another fact - Washingtons 1st year was better then any year Antwaan Randle El has ever had. I guess he is a stiff too huh?

I say keep nate to I think mahan is the one that needs to be cut.

lilyoder6
03-16-2008, 10:47 AM
the steelers don't have any money to spend b/c they go to strip clubs and throw the money around at the strippers.. lol

Haiku_Dirtt
03-17-2008, 11:54 AM

Sean Mahan- 2, 975, 000

Taylor, Ike- 5, 740, 000

IMHO Brett Keisel is not overpaid. Washington is Fair Market Value - how much less can he get paid anyway?. If Marvel's "injury" is really minor then the jury is out still going into 08.

Rick5895
03-18-2008, 06:08 AM
Dump Mahan and Wilson. Pull the transition tag from Starks and move Simmons to center. That should free up plenty of cap room.
And draft Branden Albert!!

BettisFan
03-18-2008, 04:54 PM
oh well i wanted the crickets question answerd! lol