PDA

View Full Version : Updated Mock Draft

Elvis
03-11-2008, 08:59 AM
I have done alot of thinking and mind changing and all. The guy that I have wanted from day 1 in Gosder Cherilus from Boston College to play OT for us for the next 10 plus years. But this young man is more suited for the ROT position and we really need a stud LOT player. If Chris Williams is still there at 23rd I wouldnt mind at all the steelers selecting him. This is the way I would love for our draft to look like at the end of day.
1. Chris Williams 6'6" 315 lbs Vanderbilt
Big Left OT that we really need
2. OG Roy Schuening 6'3" 306 lbs Oregon St
Our 2nd biggest need
3. DE Red Bryant 6'4" 318 lbs Texas A&M
The guy has awesome atheleticsm and can stop the run tenaciously. Just read his bio at nfldraftcountdown.com
4. WR Earl Bennett 6'0 210 lbs Vanderbilt
This young man just makes plays
5. S Marcus Griffin 5'10" 200 lbs Texas
Big hitter with decent cover skills
6. C Doug Legursky 6'3" 311 lbs Marshall
Good run blocker to give us some depth or practice squad help

DACEB
03-11-2008, 09:14 AM
I love Quinten Groves, and apparently so does Tomlin as he was at Auburns pro day. I highly doubt however that he will be available to us in the 2nd, nevermind the 3rd.

The Gods would truly be wearing B&G if two years in a row a stud like that fell to us in the 2nd.

Elvis
03-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Matt Forte- RB (Tulane, 6?2? 222 4.46) - In my opinion maybe the most intriguing prospect in this draft. Forte, who was solid in ?06, burst onto the scene in 2007 with 5 200 yard games, and 2 300 yard games, to finish with an astonishing 2,127 yards on 361 carries (5.9 ypc). Forte combines great size and surprising speed in one underrated package. Played against some sub par competition, but at the same time was a man among boys in those games, with a not so good supporting cast around him. The Green Wave needed to keep handing the ball off to Forte because they had no one else, and Forte never broke down and stayed healthy all year. Had 16 carries for 73 yards against LSU in his most marquee match up in ?07. Shows good quickness and strength at contact, and always falls forward on the way down. Has a knack for the end zone with 39 career touchdowns, 23 in 2007. Can also catch the ball out of the backfield as shown with his 32 receptions in 2007 and 103 career catches. Forte is an every down back who I look for to have a very good rookie season. Would be a good fit in Carolina, who needs to find a compliment to DeAngelo Williams, and in Seattle, who needs to find a replacement for the aged Shaun Alexander. Look for him in the second to third round.

Elvis
03-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Earl Bennett- WR (Vanderbilt, 6?1? 209 4.48) - Quick name the all-time SEC leader in receptions. With all of the great players that have come out of the SEC over the years it may come as some surprise that it is Bennett. With 236 career receptions over 3 years, Bennett has shown that he can play against the best at a high level. He is being downgraded a bit because he?s being thrown in the possession receiver category, but his 40 yard dash time and shuttle time suggest just the opposite. Never mind that he has shown breakaway speed and strength for 3 years in the SEC, he posted one of the best 40 times at the Combine this season. Also factor in that he was repeatedly double teamed over the last 2 years, simply because there was no one else on Vandy to garner that type of attention, and his numbers are that much more impressive. He has shown that he can get separation at the line of scrimmage, has great hands, and the ability to break a long one at any time, or point on the field. Really should be a first round pick, but with that possession receiver stigma he will fall to the second round, and be a steal to the team who drafts him. On my board he?s the third best receiver in this draft behind Michigan?s Manningham and Oklahoma?s Malcolm Kelly.

Steeldude
03-11-2008, 12:40 PM
i would like to see

1. branden albert G/T

2. mike pollak C/G or possibly best available DT

i doubt the steelers will draft a RB after signing moore.

Dylan
03-11-2008, 08:23 PM
i would like to see

1. branden albert G/T

2. mike pollak C/G or possibly best available DT

i doubt the steelers will draft a RB after signing moore.

i would like to see albert to with his size and athleticism but is he a 1st round guy. im still not convinced he is yet. and i wouldnt rule out the steelers drafting and RB because i believe that moore was just signed for KR/PR.

MDSteel15
03-12-2008, 12:02 AM
We have too much invested in 6 RBs already! And to get Albert we will have to take him in the 1st... Rather have
1.Williams OT
2.Scheuning G
3.Dre Moore DT
4.Jordy Nelson WR
5.Lichtensteiger C
6.Corey Lynch FS

BettisFan
03-14-2008, 11:08 PM
looks like my dream of Otah wont come true :(

MDSteel15
03-14-2008, 11:50 PM

Sorry, but Thank God... :jammin:

Black@Gold Forever32
03-15-2008, 12:50 AM
Sorry, but Thank God... :jammin:

I second that.......:banana:

BettisFan
03-15-2008, 12:52 AM
Ha ha i heard the front office doesnt like him lol, sucks thought i wanted him to stay a pittsburger

Galax Steeler
03-15-2008, 06:37 AM
We have too much invested in 6 RBs already! And to get Albert we will have to take him in the 1st... Rather have
1.Williams OT
2.Scheuning G
3.Dre Moore DT
4.Jordy Nelson WR
5.Lichtensteiger C
6.Corey Lynch FS

I don't know much on nelson is he the reciever that ben has been wanting who does he play for.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
03-15-2008, 12:39 PM
I don't know much on nelson is he the reciever that ben has been wanting who does he play for.

Nelson played for Kansas State. 6'3'' 215lbs so he's a big reciever. Had 122 catches for 1606 yards and 11 TD's.

Heres a little info from NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jordy-nelson?id=1032&campaign=gsi_g

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-15-2008, 02:25 PM
1.Williams OT
2.Scheuning G
3.Dre Moore DT
4.Jordy Nelson WR
5.Lichtensteiger C
6.Corey Lynch FS

Nelson will never make it to the 4th round,,,and Scheuning would be a reach at #2...you may be able to switch those two and still get the same players! :thumbsup:

Word is that we WILL pick up a CB at some point...guess we will have to wait and see

steelymcmatt
03-15-2008, 08:40 PM

:helmet:No offense, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing.....I'm afraid he is too much of a project when we need someone to contribute day 1. I have no downt there's a possibility that in 10 years we could be saying he was the best o-lineman in this draft, but I don;t think we can wait.:helmet:

steelymcmatt
03-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Just a thought.....
Up until this year we had gone many years without a team running for 100+ on us. This year it happened at least 3 times if I'm not mistaken. With that in mind, shouldn't we be looking at a run-stuffing D-lineman, if not in round 1, at least on the first day. I know I'm just a waterboy, but that's my two cents.....

Aussie_steeler
03-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Just a thought.....
Up until this year we had gone many years without a team running for 100+ on us. This year it happened at least 3 times if I'm not mistaken. With that in mind, shouldn't we be looking at a run-stuffing D-lineman, if not in round 1, at least on the first day. I know I'm just a waterboy, but that's my two cents.....

You are right. Run defence under 100 and run offence over 100 (steeler football)
I think the need is a run stuffing DE. Keisel just didnt get the job done and when Aaron Smith went done we had two DE's that werent strong against he run.

I say bring in a guy like Dre Moore to play DE with the primary focus of stopping the run first and getting pass rush second. In the late rounds grab another DT/DE for depth.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
03-15-2008, 09:26 PM
I agree with you too steelymcmatt. We despertly need to add depth to our D-Line. I say that we will probably grab someone to fill this need in the third.

Elvis
03-16-2008, 08:01 AM
A DE to play across from Smith is vital to our future in my opinion. Run stopping has always been a key for our defensive line and the QB pressure pretty much comes from everyone or anyone behind them. I think that the steelers should address this position in the top 3 picks anyway and the right player slides to us maybe even sooner.
:coffee:

Galax Steeler
03-17-2008, 03:59 AM
Nelson played for Kansas State. 6'3'' 215lbs so he's a big reciever. Had 122 catches for 1606 yards and 11 TD's.

Heres a little info from NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jordy-nelson?id=1032&campaign=gsi_g

Thanks for the info sounds like he would make a good one.

DACEB
03-17-2008, 05:42 AM
You are right. Run defence under 100 and run offence over 100 (steeler football)
I think the need is a run stuffing DE. Keisel just didnt get the job done and when Aaron Smith went done we had two DE's that werent strong against he run.

I say bring in a guy like Dre Moore to play DE with the primary focus of stopping the run first and getting pass rush second. In the late rounds grab another DT/DE for depth.

Red Bryant, most dominant run stopper in the draft. Teams averaged less than a yard running at him his college career!

I believe it was .8 yds/att!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Nelson will never make it to the 4th round,,,and Scheuning would be a reach at #2...you may be able to switch those two and still get the same players! :thumbsup:

Word is that we WILL pick up a CB at some point...guess we will have to wait and see

Love Nelson, but think we spend pick #1 and 2 on O-line, D line. He may be gone by the 3rd and we will need a CB.

I dont like Scheuning at all for the Steelers. He is just a tough guy and a mauler with not great feet and doesnt block well in space. My comparison is he is a smaller, slower version of Kemoatu. Scheuning would be a libility on screen passes and have trouble blocking 2nd level against 3-4 teams.

Elvis
03-18-2008, 07:58 AM
El Gonzo, I dont see much wrong with a Mauler and a tough guy myself. I think that he would fit in good with the Steelers way of playing football. But we all have our opinions dont we, thats what makes this fun to discuss to me
:thumbsup:

steelymcmatt
03-20-2008, 01:39 PM
What about Derek Harvey from Florida in the 2nd?

steelymcmatt
03-20-2008, 01:41 PM
What about Derek Harvey from Florida in the 2nd?

Sorry....Derrick Harvey

Jeremy
03-20-2008, 02:11 PM
Sorry....Derrick Harvey

Another OLB/DE combo. I'd pass.

steelymcmatt
03-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Another OLB/DE combo. I'd pass.

Opposed to versatility?

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-20-2008, 03:34 PM
El Gonzo, I dont see much wrong with a Mauler and a tough guy myself. I think that he would fit in good with the Steelers way of playing football. But we all have our opinions dont we, thats what makes this fun to discuss to me

Exactly. It makes it fun.

I just think of the 90's cowboys and how they never ran a screen pass because they had massive but slow O linemen. Scheuning fits that better than the more agile guys like Faneca, Simmons, Kemoatu, Colon etc.

A guy that can pull and get to the 2nd level is what we employ at guard. Kemo is more quick than fast, but a better athlete than Scheuing which is why I think Scheuning is not worth the pick for us. I like him in a zone block scheme where he just takes one step and the guy in front of him instead of a trapping team.

I'm starting to warm up to Cherilus. His pro day agility numbers are OK, but still had trouble blocking in space at the Sr. Bowl.

MDSteel15
03-20-2008, 11:44 PM
After the signings we've made I like this:

1.Malcolm Kelly WR Oklahoma... makes Ben happy especially with him fallin some in the rankings
2.Charles Godfrey CB Iowa... need depth and eventual starter
3.Dre Moore DT Maryland... can play DE in 3/4 along with spelling Big Snack
4.Kirk Barton OT OSU... obvious depth need and hopefully takes over in near future
5.Kory Lichtensteiger C Bowling Green... another depth need and starter in 2 years
6.Corey Lynch FS Appalachian State... ball hawk and ST dynamo!

Aussie_steeler
03-21-2008, 02:33 AM

1.Malcolm Kelly WR Oklahoma... makes Ben happy especially with him fallin some in the rankings
4.Kirk Barton OT OSU... obvious depth need and hopefully takes over in near future
5.Kory Lichtensteiger C Bowling Green... another depth need and starter in 2 years

I like the first four picks. After Ced losing his head this addresses 4 obvious needs in a positive way.:thumbsup: Picks 5 & 6 also have loads of merit & value but I think Center is now off the radar for 2008.

I think 2009 really looks like Mack or Luigs in rounds 1 or 2 for sure.

MDSteel15
03-21-2008, 09:44 AM
I like the first four picks. After Ced losing his head this addresses 4 obvious needs in a positive way.:thumbsup: Picks 5 & 6 also have loads of merit & value but I think Center is now off the radar for 2008.

I think 2009 really looks like Mack or Luigs in rounds 1 or 2 for sure.

Got to have that 5th pick! It would be the longest hike in history!!! lol

Lichtensteiger to Roethlisberger :cheers:

Elvis
03-22-2008, 06:39 PM

with malcom kelly falling that is not good to get him drafted very highly. players usually fall down the list for a reason I'm afraid

steelymcmatt
03-24-2008, 01:58 PM
I'm not convinced that Dallas Baker from last year isn't the answer to Ben's request for a tall wide reciever. Even if he is not, I don't think we address this day 1 (round 1 or 2). I think we draft a wide reciever in a later round, or pick up a free agent.

Kratos
04-01-2008, 03:41 AM
Word is Philip Merling is slipping due to the hernia.

If he's there at #23, which appears to be possible, I seriously wouldn't mind seeing that pick. We would get that pass rusher on the DL we need. Merling is a beast!

We got another player we shouldnt have gotten a couple years ago because of a sports hernia. We know how that workeed out!

Galax Steeler
04-01-2008, 03:49 AM
Word is Philip Merling is slipping due to the hernia.

If he's there at #23, which appears to be possible, I seriously wouldn't mind seeing that pick. We would get that pass rusher on the DL we need. Merling is a beast!

We got another player we shouldnt have gotten a couple years ago because of a sports hernia. We know how that workeed out!

Alot of things will change from now until draft day it is hard telling who will be there at no.23 come draft day.

Rhee Rhee
04-02-2008, 06:03 PM
I love Quinten Groves, and apparently so does Tomlin as he was at Auburns pro day. I highly doubt however that he will be available to us in the 2nd, nevermind the 3rd.

The Gods would truly be wearing B&G if two years in a row a stud like that fell to us in the 2nd.

i definitely like the sound of quinten groves being a steeler...

Rhee Rhee
04-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Just a thought.....

which makes drafting kendall langford that much more important...

Elvis
04-03-2008, 04:40 PM
I think that WR Limas Sweed from Texas would be a nice pick for us there at 23. He must pass his physical of course, but the guy has great size and speed and makes plays.. which Big Ben is so much wanting in our offense right now.

Elvis
04-03-2008, 04:43 PM
I have done alot of thinking and mind changing and all. The guy that I have wanted from day 1 in Gosder Cherilus from Boston College to play OT for us for the next 10 plus years. But this young man is more suited for the ROT position and we really need a stud LOT player. If Chris Williams is still there at 23rd I wouldnt mind at all the steelers selecting him. This is the way I would love for our draft to look like at the end of day.
1. Chris Williams 6'6" 315 lbs Vanderbilt
Big Left OT that we really need
2. OG Roy Schuening 6'3" 306 lbs Oregon St
Our 2nd biggest need
3. DE Red Bryant 6'4" 318 lbs Texas A&M
The guy has awesome atheleticsm and can stop the run tenaciously. Just read his bio at nfldraftcountdown.com
4. WR Earl Bennett 6'0 210 lbs Vanderbilt
This young man just makes plays
5. S Marcus Griffin 5'10" 200 lbs Texas
Big hitter with decent cover skills
6. C Doug Legursky 6'3" 311 lbs Marshall
Good run blocker to give us some depth or practice squad help
I think that I am sticking with this draft for the Steelers except if OG Branden Albert is left on the board from Viginia, then I think that the Steelers go in his direction. Of course if they draft Albert then that changes their 2nd round draft pick to DE Kendal Landford.. he would give us some help that Aaron Smith needs so dearly.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-03-2008, 05:20 PM
With Kemo, Simmons, Mahan, Colon, Hartwig......I dont see drafting a guard....especially reaching for Scheuing at round 2.

I also dont see Williams lasting that long, or being a good run blocker that the Steelers would consider.

Elvis
04-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Justin King CB 6' 186 Penn St.

By: Robert Davis

King was a big recruit that did a little bit of everything as a freshman. He ran for 227 yards, had 126 receiving yards, 11 tackles on defense and even returned kicks and punts. He moved over to corner as a sophomore, and earned All Big 10 honors, finishing the year with 30 tackles and an interception. As a junior last season, he had 49 tackles and two picks on the year.
King has all the talent to develop into a big time NFL corner. He is an excellent athlete, and combines it with very good quickness and great speed. He shows the ability to turn and run with receivers down the field and throughout their routes. King also has decent size and should develop into a solid threat as a run stopper at the next level. King?s explosive speed and athleticism allow him to be a factor on special teams as well.
King is all talent and potential right now. He lacks a lot of experience, and will need work at the next level. He is undisciplined and will bite on fakes and give up big yardage. His flaws should be correctable with more time and coaching in the NFL. King has a ton of potential and will be drafted early because of it. He should put on a display on workouts and be taken in the first 50 picks. With time he could be the best corner out of this draft.

First of El Gonzo, I dont see Schuening being a stretch if he lasts til the Steelers 2nd round pick... no way! But we all have our opinions and I have surpressed mine with him being a nice player for us. And with OG Branden Albert moving up the boards fast, I could see Williams lasting til our pick there at 23. And Williams is a legit LT and that is what we need to protect Ben's backside dont ya think?
Seems like the Steelers are pretty interested in King Above as well, so the Oline might not even be top priority right now to Tomlin and the Rooney's

Elvis
04-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Some more names to remember are
WR Limas Sweed 6' 4" 215 Texas
Maurice Purify 6' 3" 224 Nebraska
DB Antoine Cason 6' 185 lbs Arizona
OLB Bruce Davis 6' 3" 234 lbs UCLA
DE/DT Marcus Harrison 6' 3" 310 lbs Arkansas
and of course
DE/DT Kentwan Balmer 6' 3" 310 lbs UNC

DACEB
04-04-2008, 06:18 AM
With Kemo, Simmons, Mahan, Colon, Hartwig......I dont see drafting a guard....especially reaching for Scheuing at round 2.

I also dont see Williams lasting that long, or being a good run blocker that the Steelers would consider.

Although I don't believe Scheuning is a reach in the 2nd, I completely agree with us not drafting a guard unless it's Albert. You can add Stapleton to that mix as well, making it 6 O-linemen that play on the interior.

I also agree about Williams. I will be shocked if there is'nt 5 O-linemen off the board when the team picks at 1.23. I also believe there will be 10 O-linemen off the board by the time we pick in the 2nd.

Elvis
04-05-2008, 03:01 PM
These are the Players that I Would Like To See
the Steelers Select round by round:

1 OT Chris Williams 6' 6" 315 Vanderbilt
I really dont think that OG Branden Albert will be here at 23

2 DE Kendall Langford 6'5" 290
I know this might be alittle bit of a reach for him, but he'll not last til the 3rd round I dont believe.

3 OG Roy Scheuning 6'3" 306 Oregon
He probably wont last this long, but if he does it will be a steal.

4 WR Maurice Purify 6'3" 224 Nebraska
A nice tall young red zone reciever that should help Ben out

5 MLB Jeremy Leman 6'2" 248 Illinois
This guy is a tackling machine, that no one thinks is NFL Caliber, lets give this great college player a chance and see what happens

6 WR Evan Moore 6'5" 236 Stanfor
Another tall reciever to give us some flexibility and depth

lilyoder6
04-05-2008, 04:44 PM
i will have to say is that if albert is gone by 23 we should draft king bc he is too good of a talent to pass up

faneca05
04-06-2008, 10:37 PM
i will have to say is that if albert is gone by 23 we should draft king bc he is too good of a talent to pass up

I think if alberts gone we pray to god that groves is still there.

Rhee Rhee
04-07-2008, 03:41 AM
Earl Bennett- WR (Vanderbilt, 6?1? 209 4.48) - Quick name the all-time SEC leader in receptions. With all of the great players that have come out of the SEC over the years it may come as some surprise that it is Bennett. With 236 career receptions over 3 years, Bennett has shown that he can play against the best at a high level. He is being downgraded a bit because he?s being thrown in the possession receiver category, but his 40 yard dash time and shuttle time suggest just the opposite. Never mind that he has shown breakaway speed and strength for 3 years in the SEC, he posted one of the best 40 times at the Combine this season. Also factor in that he was repeatedly double teamed over the last 2 years, simply because there was no one else on Vandy to garner that type of attention, and his numbers are that much more impressive. He has shown that he can get separation at the line of scrimmage, has great hands, and the ability to break a long one at any time, or point on the field. Really should be a first round pick, but with that possession receiver stigma he will fall to the second round, and be a steal to the team who drafts him. On my board he?s the third best receiver in this draft behind Michigan?s Manningham and Oklahoma?s Malcolm Kelly.

i'm very high on earl bennett AND Early Doucet.. if we are able to land one of 'em it'd be great!

as i have read in other scouting reports earl bennet is much like the next hines ward.. great blocker and "fearless" over the middle... very sticky hands as well.. Early doucet has also been compared to hines with those same qualities...

Rhee Rhee
04-07-2008, 03:42 AM

athletically king is a first rounder.. production/attitude wise = 2nd rounder

Galax Steeler
04-07-2008, 05:52 AM
I think if alberts gone we pray to god that groves is still there.

I have to agree with the groves pick if albert is not there.

Elvis
04-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Trevor Laws DT 6?1 296 Notre Dame

Laws has shown to be a player capable of making an impact since his freshman season. As a reserve, he had 17 tackles, two for loss, and a sack. He improved upon those numbers as a sophomore, finishing with 33/3/1.5 on the year. As a junior, Laws had his best season to date, finishing with 62 tackles, 9.5 for loss, and 3.5 sacks. He had a tremendous senior season, leading the team with 112 tackles, eight for loss, and four sacks on the year.
Laws is a versatile defensive lineman, capable of playing in both the 3-4 and 4-3. He has been a tackle in a 4-3 scheme, showing the ability to take on blockers and clog running lanes in the middle but also having the ability to slip through blockers and get into the backfield. This season, he has moved outside to end in a 3-4 alignment and will be counted on to provide leadership and consistency from the defensive line.
Laws lacks ideal size for the defensive line, especially a 3-4 end. He is on the short side, and can get controlled by bigger lineman. He also has never shown the ability to be a major force as a playmaker, and teams want more than just run stopping ability in high draft picks. Laws should provide run stopping ability and versatility to a defense. His ability to play in both schemes, hold his ground and stop the run will be attractive to teams needing him to fill a role. He had a huge season in the 3-4 defense, which should make him attractive for teams that utilize that role. He lacks ideal size, but the production he had will get him a shot.

Elvis
04-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Kentwan Balmer DT 6?4 304 North Carolina

Balmer did not make much of an impact as a freshman, but as a sophomore, he had 17 tackles with five of them coming for a loss. As a junior, he had 16 tackles, 2.5 for loss, and 2.5 sacks on the year. Balmer put it all together this season, finishing with 59 tackles, 9.5 for loss, and 3.5 sacks.
Balmer has a very nice blend of talent. He has the size, athleticism, quickness, and strength to be an excellent NFL defensive tackle. He has the strength to control running lanes, but the quickness to shoot the gap and disrupt the action.
Consistency has been the issue with Balmer. He has the talent, but does not always play up to it. He has the strength to push offensive lineman around, but does not always do it. He has the quickness to consistently get into the backfield, but he doesn?t always get that penetration. Balmer really only had one season of standout play at the college level. Balmer?s big senior year has put him in position to be a first round pick. He has the talent to impress in workouts, which could lock up that first round selection. Balmer just needs to play with more fire on a consistent basis, which should allow him to impact the game like his talent suggests he should.

Texasteel
04-08-2008, 05:04 PM
i'm very high on earl bennett AND Early Doucet.. if we are able to land one of 'em it'd be great!

as i have read in other scouting reports earl bennet is much like the next hines ward.. great blocker and "fearless" over the middle... very sticky hands as well.. Early doucet has also been compared to hines with those same qualities...

I have been banging the Bennett drum all year. Of all the WRs I've seen this year he is the closest thing to Ward. I would love to see what he might become working with Hines for a couple years.
Even though he loves to work the middle, if you work him to tight in that area he has the speed to get that step on you deep, and thats all he needs.
Problem is we would probably have to spend our 2nd rounder on him.