PDA

View Full Version : OLB Fox visits

83-Steelers-43
03-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Free agent linebacker visits Steelers
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have little room under the salary cap to sign free agents, but they keep parading them through their South Side facility.

Outside linebacker Keyaron Fox, who played the past four seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs, is meeting with the coaching staff today -- the sixth free agent to visit the Steelers since the free agency period began.

Fox, 6-foot-3, 235 pounds, a former third-round draft choice, would be a backup linebacker and special-teams player.

The only free agent to sign with the Steelers is former Minnesota Vikings running back/kick returner Mewelde Moore.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08071/864217-66.stm

19ward86
03-11-2008, 09:20 PM
if we had 10mil or more in cap i would jump right on this but i believe that it is in our best interest to forget about him.

Dylan
03-11-2008, 09:46 PM
at least we can say we looked more than we did last year. mahan was are prized addition last year:dang:

lilyoder6
03-11-2008, 10:17 PM
maybe they want to help these guys get more frequent flyer miles..

Galax Steeler
03-12-2008, 04:31 AM
The way we are looking at all these players you never know we might sign another one.

Steel Pit
03-12-2008, 05:42 AM
I believe that the Steelers front office have already asked a few of their current players if they would be willing to restructure their contracts in order to free up some cap space "IF" the right free agent happens to come along.

DACEB
03-12-2008, 07:04 AM
Bottom line, the team is looking at guys to add depth and help out on ST's for cheap.
Tomlin knows he has to turn over some of the roster to get better on ST's.

jtmill
03-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Just signed him.

Steelers.com

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers added depth to their linebacker and special teams corps today as they signed free agent linebacker Keyaron Fox to a one-year contract. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Fox (6-3, 235) was originally drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs in the third round (93rd overall) of the 2004 NFL Draft out of Georgia Tech. He spent all four of his years in Kansas City, playing primarily on special teams and as a backup linebacker. In 2007, he posted 21 tackles, including a season-best 10 against the New York Jets in Week 17.

Fox enjoyed his best season in Kansas City in 2006 when he collected 52 tackles while playing in all 16 games, making four starts in place of the injured Derrick Johnson.

BettisFan
03-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Atleast we made some additions....

83-Steelers-43
03-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Just signed him.

Steelers.com

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers added depth to their linebacker and special teams corps today as they signed free agent linebacker Keyaron Fox to a one-year contract. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Fox (6-3, 235) was originally drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs in the third round (93rd overall) of the 2004 NFL Draft out of Georgia Tech. He spent all four of his years in Kansas City, playing primarily on special teams and as a backup linebacker. In 2007, he posted 21 tackles, including a season-best 10 against the New York Jets in Week 17.

Fox enjoyed his best season in Kansas City in 2006 when he collected 52 tackles while playing in all 16 games, making four starts in place of the injured Derrick Johnson.

Very nice. He's still young. He put up some half decent numbers in terms of tackles over the last two seasons. Give him a shot. He can't be any worse. :thumbsup::cheers:

But who needs those pointless ST players? We needed Randy Moss!!! :coffee:

lilyoder6
03-12-2008, 10:56 AM
a 1 yr deal isn't that bad.. see what he can do and maybe if he does good enough give him another contract

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Very nice. He's still young. He put up some half decent numbers in terms of tackles over the last two seasons. Give him a shot. He can't be any worse. :thumbsup::cheers:

But who needs those pointless ST players? We needed Randy Moss!!! :coffee:

I like this signing...It fills two holes...one at depth for our OLB's..and the second as a special teamer. (runs a 4.61 forty)

I think this assures everyone that a LBer can be taken off all draft boards.

83-Steelers-43
03-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Cash info..

Fox, a third-round draft choice in 2004, received a signing bonus of $40,000 and will be paid the veteran minimum of $605,000 in 2008. He will be a backup linebacker and special-teams performer for the Steelers.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08072/864438-66.stm

SteelerFanInCA
03-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Cash info..

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08072/864438-66.stm

Looks like this guy didn't cost that much. Hopefully he can help shore up our special teams a bit. :tt02:

Dylan
03-12-2008, 01:37 PM
nice addition for the special teams

lilyoder6
03-12-2008, 01:53 PM
good addition.. could play some time on the field at olb... and could possibly play 3 out of 4 special teams..

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Well, we do still have to find someone to eventually replace Farrior, which we could do at any time in the next few years. But for now, we've got solid depth where it counts. I do like this.

Exactly....OG/OT/C/DL/S/CB...are now the higher priorities..six spots in a 6 round draft.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-12-2008, 02:49 PM
i was reading the bio. on him...said he had 10 tackles (9 solo) in the season finale against the n.y. jets. does anyone remember anything about that game and what kind of impact he had? could this be the "diamond in the rough" player that the steelers have found in the past?

it would be nice if he had the same impact that a former FA jet linebacker has had...

paw-n-maul-u
03-12-2008, 04:39 PM
man our defense could be looking goooooooood next year.

Kiesel/Draft pick ... Hampton/Hoke ... Smith

Harrison ... farrior/foote/timmons .... woodley

If we can get a solid player at S across from troy ... and a HEALTHY troy (which i don't think we've seen in two years) .... Ike B-mac and Townsend should be solid.

This is a pretty deep corner class ... I REALLY like this idea, Moving Townsend to Safety for a year, and draft a corner in the second round or so

Townsend and Troy at safety

Ike B-mac and draft pick ... In order ... (if we went first round, Aquib Talib or Leodis Mckelvin (sp?) ... and in the second B. Flowers or Cason)

BettisFan
03-12-2008, 05:10 PM
where is he gunna fit on the depth chart?

lilyoder6
03-12-2008, 05:53 PM
he be a back up for either james and/or woodly and be a st player

Black@Gold Forever32
03-12-2008, 07:08 PM
I like this signing...It fills two holes...one at depth for our OLB's..and the second as a special teamer. (runs a 4.61 forty)

Well said....All I expect is for Fox to help on the kick coverage units which is needed bad....lol If he can show anything as a backup LB then that will just be gravy......

BettisFan
03-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Hopefully he can help

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2008, 08:40 PM

I think it depends if they extend Farrior for another 2 seasons. What kind of real depth is there at ILB on the Steelers?

Basically our OLB's look like Harrison, Woodley, Frazier, Arnold Harrison, Fox.
The ILB's look like Foote (who everybody wants to write off) Farrior(who is nearing the end of his career) and Timmons (who has done nothing to this point in the NFL)

I expect to see an ILB signed or Farrior extended. Otherwise the future of ILB is Foote and Timmons.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
03-12-2008, 08:46 PM
I think it depends if they extend Farrior for another 2 seasons. What kind of real depth is there at ILB on the Steelers?

Basically our OLB's look like Harrison, Woodley, Frazier, Arnold Harrison, Fox.
The ILB's look like Foote (who everybody wants to write off) Farrior(who is nearing the end of his career) and Timmons (who has done nothing to this point in the NFL)

I expect to see an ILB signed or Farrior extended. Otherwise the future of ILB is Foote and Timmons.

Not completely true. He messed up a pot heads shoulder pretty bad.:flap:

LVSteelersfan
03-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Not completely true. He messed up a pot heads shoulder pretty bad.:flap:

BWAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully the jerk will be gone for good this time. I can't stand him. What a loser. I can't believe they even gave him another chance.

lilyoder6
03-12-2008, 10:10 PM
they could get a ilb thru the draft or as a udfa.. but we have time b4 we need to find another one.. i mean foote and timmons could handle the job

paw-n-maul-u
03-12-2008, 10:31 PM
He's got great numbers on paper, good size and great speed, I watched a little of that chiefs game, he got a lot of playing time for donnie edwards if i recall right, I remember that Napolean harris was going crazy for the chiefs specifically, something like 20 tackles ... Fox had 9 solo tackles.

At the very least he should be solid on special teams. This signing definitely takes LB off of Day 1.

BettisFan
03-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Yea he was definitly worth our money lets see where he ends up

Galax Steeler
03-13-2008, 04:35 AM
Nice adition hopefuly he can give special teams a boost, and play backup linebacker if needed.

Dino 6 Rings
03-13-2008, 09:48 AM
hope he can tackle on kick off...

that's about all he'll be doing this season...covering kicks...go get em Tiger....

IamTheSteelGod
03-13-2008, 11:37 AM
I know its of topic but have the Steelers released Haggans?

lilyoder6
03-13-2008, 11:56 AM
haggans is a freee agent

polamalu82
03-13-2008, 12:03 PM
haggans is a freee agent

I guess nobody signed him yet. I wonder why?

Dino 6 Rings
03-13-2008, 01:11 PM
money vs potential injury/age/wear and tear.

he's up there in age for his position. I think the Steelers should cut him a one year deal if he'll take it. I like Clark a lot.

DACEB
03-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Pats are just waiting for his price to drop and they will snag Haggans up.

I agree with everyone, we should ask him to come back on the cheap, but that bridge may be burned.

43Hitman
03-13-2008, 06:17 PM
man our defense could be looking goooooooood next year.

Kiesel/Draft pick ... Hampton/Hoke ... Smith

Harrison ... farrior/foote/timmons .... woodley

If we can get a solid player at S across from troy ... and a HEALTHY troy (which i don't think we've seen in two years) .... Ike B-mac and Townsend should be solid.

This is a pretty deep corner class ... I REALLY like this idea, Moving Townsend to Safety for a year, and draft a corner in the second round or so

Townsend and Troy at safety

Ike B-mac and draft pick ... In order ... (if we went first round, Aquib Talib or Leodis Mckelvin (sp?) ... and in the second B. Flowers or Cason)

I disagree with this. We should definetly pick an offensive lineman in the first round for sure. Flowers is a good player and I have watched him alot since I live in Va. but he does get caught out of position often enough to worry me about using a second round pick on him.

BettisFan
03-13-2008, 06:37 PM
I want Otah!

lilyoder6
03-13-2008, 08:55 PM
i agree if no one wants haggans give him 1 yr deal to come back.. and he'll realize there is no money out there 4 him until he turns 35 and the pats want him.. lol

ChronoCross
03-13-2008, 11:39 PM
I have a buddy who is a die hard chiefs fan and he really likes this fox kid and thought he has a lot of skillz so hopefully he does great for STS and brings good quality Depth. Even tho I think he is a bit small for OLBer but maybe are coaches can work him into something.

Seen mention of Haggans, I would take him back in a beat at the right price. Haggans has always been consistent on STS and OLBer.

Dino 6 Rings
03-14-2008, 03:15 PM
someone get me Rooney's email address, I'm going to barrage him with "spam" to re-sign Haggans.

dunkuntou
03-14-2008, 04:32 PM
someone get me Rooney's email address, I'm going to barrage him with "spam" to re-sign Haggans.

Please don't...no need for him to be back

BettisFan
03-14-2008, 04:43 PM
Dude Haggans is great he could start due to injury and is a great back up