PDA

View Full Version : Smith should be healthy for Steelers training camp

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-12-2008, 03:37 AM
Smith should be healthy for Steelers training camp
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith, who missed the final four games of last season after tearing his biceps muscle against New England in December, should be at full strength for the start of training camp.
Smith underwent surgery and is working out in Colorado, agent Peter Schaffer said Tuesday.

"His biceps muscle has been fixed. Our timetable is for him to be 100 percent for training camp," Schaffer said.

Only two players have more tenure on the Steelers than Smith -- receiver Hines Ward and cornerback Deshea Townsend.

Selected in the fourth round in the 1999 NFL draft, Smith, 31, has been a fixture in the starting lineup since 2000.
However, he missed most of three games last season because of a knee injury. He sustained the biceps injury during the Dec. 11 game at New England but remained in the contest.

"Being the guy he is, he continued on," coach Mike Tomlin said after the New England game. "He came out a few times, and that was worrisome because this guy doesn't come out of games."

Schaffer said Smith's recovery has been good, but added that he doesn't expect him to accelerate his rehabilitation process.

The Steelers' offseason conditioning program begins Monday. Smith isn't due to arrive in Pittsburgh until the following week.

"We're not trying to set any land-speed records trying to get him ready for training camp," Schaffer said. "Now, it's just a question of letting it heal, like glue drying."

Smith had 42 tackles, 2 1/2 sacks and two fumble recoveries in 2007.

Notes: The Steelers entertained free-agent linebacker Keyaron Fox yesterday. Fox, who played four seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs, is a former third-round draft pick who had 21 tackles in 2007 while playing mostly on special teams. Fox is the sixth free agent to visit the Steelers ... Free-agent safety Eugene Wilson, who met with the Steelers last week, also has received interest from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, New York Jets, Tennessee Titans, Cincinnati Bengals and Jacksonville Jaguars

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_556752.html

Galax Steeler
03-12-2008, 04:19 AM
This is some great news.

stillers4me
03-12-2008, 05:15 AM
We really missed him.

Preacher
03-12-2008, 10:36 AM
I forgot about his injury.

Hopefully his injuries/loss was a big part of the defensive problem late last season. Let's hope that changes this year.

fansince'76
03-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Nice to finally read some good news for a change.

Edman
03-12-2008, 10:58 AM
We really missed him.

Understatement of the year.

I'm also concerned about Ryan Clark. And wether we can have Troy Polamalu back at full strength. He's hasn't been 100% since '05.

zulater
03-12-2008, 11:11 AM
I forgot about his injury.

Hopefully his injuries/loss was a big part of the defensive problem late last season. Let's hope that changes this year.

??? Did you watch the last quater of the season? :uhh:

:wink:

Seriously I think we found out that Aaron Smith is the most indispensable player on the defense. I think Tomlin even said as much.

In an offseason of not so good news this is a nice change of pace. ( along with the Moore signing) :tt02:

Dino 6 Rings
03-12-2008, 11:21 AM
"should be healthy"

I say...DAMN WELL BETTER BE HEALTHY!!!

SteelerFanInCA
03-12-2008, 11:31 AM
The news on his progress sounds good. Looking forward to seeing him back in the lineup.

memphissteelergirl
03-12-2008, 11:35 AM
The news on his progress sounds good. Looking forward to seeing him back in the lineup.

Hear, here!

19ward86
03-12-2008, 03:51 PM
He needs to be healthy unless we want to give up 200 rush yards per game.

BettisFan
03-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Great news thanks

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2008, 04:21 PM
He needs to be healthy unless we want to give up 200 rush yards per game.

But don't worry if he gets hurt again. As all the journalists and pundits keep saying we have lots of "depth" on the team. We just resigned Kirschke didnt we...:wink02:

Most on this board keep pimping their favorite WR, CB, RB in round 1, but the fact is we need help on the D-line and the sad part is....its in better shape than the O-line.

paw-n-maul-u
03-12-2008, 04:30 PM
man our defense could be looking goooooooood next year.

Kiesel/Draft pick ... Hampton/Hoke ... Smith

Harrison ... farrior/foote/timmons .... woodley

If we can get a solid player at S across from troy ... and a HEALTHY troy (which i don't think we've seen in two years) .... Ike B-mac and Townsend should be solid.

This is a pretty deep corner class ... I REALLY like this idea, Moving Townsend to Safety for a year, and draft a corner in the second round or so

Townsend and Troy at safety

Ike B-mac and draft pick ... In order ... (if we went first round, Aquib Talib or Leodis Mckelvin (sp?) ... and in the second B. Flowers or Cason)

lilyoder6
03-12-2008, 04:45 PM
or we could have a improved cover man in smith and he can knock heads.. :o

and we need to get another young dt b/c hampton and hoke are old

Galax Steeler
03-14-2008, 03:26 AM
man our defense could be looking goooooooood next year.

Kiesel/Draft pick ... Hampton/Hoke ... Smith

Harrison ... farrior/foote/timmons .... woodley

If we can get a solid player at S across from troy ... and a HEALTHY troy (which i don't think we've seen in two years) .... Ike B-mac and Townsend should be solid.

This is a pretty deep corner class ... I REALLY like this idea, Moving Townsend to Safety for a year, and draft a corner in the second round or so

Townsend and Troy at safety

Ike B-mac and draft pick ... In order ... (if we went first round, Aquib Talib or Leodis Mckelvin (sp?) ... and in the second B. Flowers or Cason)

I just hope we see more of timmons this year and do you think townsend could really handle the safety spot.

Elvis
03-14-2008, 05:33 AM
But don't worry if he gets hurt again. As all the journalists and pundits keep saying we have lots of "depth" on the team. We just resigned Kirschke didnt we...:wink02:

Most on this board keep pimping their favorite WR, CB, RB in round 1, but the fact is we need help on the D-line and the sad part is....its in better shape than the O-line.
Gonzo, this is kind of a normal thing, but I agree with ya once more my friend. Now, I dont know so much all the depth on the D line that they are talking about either. I think that the Steelers could go in atleast 3 different directions in this upcoming draft. They could go Olineman or Dlineman or DB. But I honestly think if there is a top OT like Williams or Cherilous there at 23 then we must take'em. But if there is not and there is a Kentwan Balmer DT there why not take him? I think that he might be a perfect fit to play opposite Smith and then when Hamptons' time is finished move him to his natural position unless we find someone to take that spot somewhere else.
:tt02:

Boomerang
03-14-2008, 06:54 AM
Will be good to have Smith in there again and hope he is 100% for the start of the campaign.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-14-2008, 10:03 AM
Gonzo, this is kind of a normal thing, but I agree with ya once more my friend. Now, I dont know so much all the depth on the D line that they are talking about either. I think that the Steelers could go in atleast 3 different directions in this upcoming draft. They could go Olineman or Dlineman or DB. But I honestly think if there is a top OT like Williams or Cherilous there at 23 then we must take'em. But if there is not and there is a Kentwan Balmer DT there why not take him? I think that he might be a perfect fit to play opposite Smith and then when Hamptons' time is finished move him to his natural position unless we find someone to take that spot somewhere else.
:tt02:

Yes, I think we should go O line, but if there is nothing of value there take the best D-lineman. I really dont see the need of drafting a Corner in the first round since I think we have 3 decent ones currently.

The league is littered with average corners that hang around the league for a long time and can perform well on a team with a decent pass rush. Look at Randall Gay, RW McQuarters, Hank Poteat, Jason David, etc. Put a decent D line in front of those guys and they can play.

I just laugh at some guys with a blog that write "the Steelers have depth and the luxury of drafting many ways this year" just because Tomlin threw the media a bone and said we can go any way but QB or TE in the first round:blah: He really means "we need help on both lines and thats what we are gonna draft....but here is a smoke screen for ya"

Elvis
03-15-2008, 04:05 AM
Agreed, but if there is a top notch DB there like Cromartie I think that the Steelers must swipe him up and get the O and D lines some help in the next few picks. I like Tomlin and what he says most of the time, because no one knows what the young man is thinking until it already happens. If the Steelers luck up and get Justin Hartwig the Center from the Panthers that will fix one big trouble spot and that means Mahan moves to OG or whatever. I would love to see the Hartwig signing myself
:thumbsup: