PDA

View Full Version : McFadden wants to make Steelers pay

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-15-2008, 04:57 AM
McFadden wants to make Steelers pay
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, March 15, 2008

Cornerback Bryant McFadden was the Steelers' second-round draft pick in 2005. McFadden is entering the final year of his contract and has retained the one and only Drew Rosenhaus to broker a new deal.
Be afraid Steelers fans, be very afraid.

McFadden's agent change is one of the most important developments facing the Steelers this offseason.

Rosenhaus is a squeaky wheel among NFL agents. He has a track record for bringing attention to himself and securing big money for his clients.

What does McFadden's hiring Rosenhaus have to do with the Steelers? Well, McFadden's signability could impact how the Steelers approach next month's draft.
If the Steelers plan to re-sign McFadden prior to the start of next season, they won't be forced to select a cornerback early in the draft.

If, on the other hand, the Steelers don't plan to re-sign McFadden before the start of next season -- remember, the club traditionally doesn't negotiate in season -- expect them to draft a cornerback relatively early, perhaps on the first day.

Among current Steelers cornerbacks, Ike Taylor, a fourth-round draft pick in 2003, is signed through 2010. Deshea Townsend, the other starting corner, is signed through 2009, when he will be 34.

The other corners include William Gay, a fifth-round pick last year, and Anthony Madison, who signed with the Steelers as an undrafted free agent in 2006.

Ricardo Colclough, the team's second-round pick in 2004, was released last season, creating a vacancy at corner.

Changing agents is all well and good, but not even Rosenhaus can make the Steelers budge if the team doesn't believe that McFadden can beat out Townsend, who was a fourth-round pick in 1998.

McFadden was taken in the second round for a reason. The Steelers reward their players financially for their performance. They drafted McFadden believing he would become a starter.

The only players the Steelers pay on potential are their draft picks.

McFadden has appeared in 41 regular-season games with 10 starts. He has five career interceptions, including a 50-yard return for a touchdown against San Francisco last season.

McFadden's biggest problem in 2007 was not staying on the field. He missed three games because of a high ankle sprain, allowing Gay to receive valuable playing time at nickel back.

Hiring a new agent is one way for McFadden to get the new contract he's seeking. The best way is for McFadden to become the Steelers' starting right corner in 2008.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_557359.html

VTsteel
03-15-2008, 05:57 AM
This is an interesting one . . . We all knew that there was a probability that McFadden would be re-upping this off season. However, his move to obtain Rosenhaus throws light on his intention to probably be paid like a starter. If he beats out Townsend (which I kinda think he will) then he should be paid. I will be interested to see how this plays out exactly. . .

Galax Steeler
03-15-2008, 06:25 AM
I don't see us breaking the bank on mcfadden I would like to keep him but not with a huge contract.

Glace
03-15-2008, 07:34 AM
I don't think we need to shell out big bucks for McFadden. I thought this kid had a ton of potential that he occasionally shows flashes of, but there are better corners we could nab for cheaper.

One of McFadden's problems is that he gets overly aggressive and draws pass interference calls in some really bad times.

fansince'76
03-15-2008, 07:40 AM
He's not worth a big-money contract. Next.

TackleMeBen
03-15-2008, 07:58 AM
i think this may backfire on him.. especially by hiring Rosenhaus. and i am sure it will take the rooneys sometime to make back all that money they just let go into a big contract for the qb...lol....

83-Steelers-43
03-15-2008, 08:21 AM
Prove to me that your able to beat out an aging Deshea Townsend first, then worry about your contract.

BlastFurnace
03-15-2008, 08:26 AM
I want the Steelers to pay as well. As a matter of fact, I want McFadden to become the CB that all his potential says he can be. This kid has the size, speed, and skills and nothing would make me happier than to see him really step up this season and take the reigns on the other side of Taylor.

Imagine that...the Pittsburgh Steelers with two stud CB's that are big, young, and fast.

Perhaps I am being overly optimistic that we could afford him if everything I wrote comes true, but I have always liked this kid and I really want to see him step up this season.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-15-2008, 09:09 AM

Yup.

Dang, now this means the Steelers probably have to spend a top 3 pick on a CB since McFadden will be gone.

Rosenhaus is a piece of dirt.....remember when McGahee got drafted he pretended to talk to other teams on his cell during the pick to drive interest up on McGahee. "next question"

polamalu82
03-15-2008, 09:22 AM
If he wants a big contract he's not going to get it. I think even if this Drew thing never happened, we would've still been looking for a corner in rounds 1-3.

klick81
03-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Not even a starter and decides to hire Rosenhaus? Yeah, you know what his intentions are. Moving on!

stillers4me
03-15-2008, 09:56 AM
:popcorn:

TackleMeBen
03-15-2008, 10:09 AM
i am hoping gay beats him out in training camp. that dude is bad..lol

BettisFan
03-15-2008, 11:29 AM
I hate Drew hes an a$$ always hiking up the price on his players so much

Steeldude
03-15-2008, 11:44 AM
lmao...mcfadden has shown nothing but the ability to jump around like a fool when making routine plays and his other astounding ability of racking up PI penalties.

whether he stays or goes makes no difference in the draft. he is a backup CB. they are a dime a dozen.

hopefully the steelers aren't as stupid as they were when they gave simmons that big, unwarranted contract. i say let him walk or trade his ass for a 6th rounder.

jjpro11
03-15-2008, 01:07 PM
he showed so much promise during his first couple seasons.. at this point i'd say that gay now has more potential than mcfadden.

HometownGal
03-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Rosenhaus is a sleazy snake among NFL agents. He has a track record for bringing attention to himself and securing big money for his clients.

That is a more accurate description of Rosenhaus. :thumbsup:

Unless McFadden has one helluva 2008 and can keep his hiney off the injury list, he's not going to get the big payday he wants from the Steelers.

On to the Cards or the Cheats* who seem to love signing our discards only to put them on the sidewalk a year or so later.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Thats Drew's job as agent to get the most money for his clients...People seem not to understand that...lol It sucks but thats the nature of the beast in today's Pro Sports...No worries if McFadden doesn't prove himself then the Rooney's won't resign him....Far better players have left the Steelers then Bryant McFadden...

BlastFurnace
03-15-2008, 02:12 PM
"Next Question"

Edman
03-15-2008, 03:49 PM
He does? Heh, Good Luck, Bryant. :flap::toofunny:

Unless you can step up your game this year and beat out Deshea, you're not getting a penny, and you're not going to be wearing black and gold either.

lilyoder6
03-15-2008, 03:58 PM
thats funny.. he wants a big contract and he is a number 3 corner... drew is going to have a hand full with these contract negotiations..

Preacher
03-15-2008, 04:49 PM
Hey...

B Mac...

:wave:

Well... Let me revamp my draft picks.

2 OL picks.. and a CB pick.

tony hipchest
03-15-2008, 06:23 PM
i know most everyone will poo-poo and dismiss this, but i only provide the link and quote cause i havent found anyone who does more comprehensive research on the steelers and cap situation.

http://www.steelersalarycap.com/articles/2008Projection.htm

Bryant McFadden is entering the last year of his contract, and I look for the Steelers to extend his contract. I am thinking a five-year contract extension worth $21 million, which includes a $6.5 million signing bonus. if he can be as good as townsend this would prove to be a great deal.

fansince'76
03-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Unless McFadden has one helluva 2008 and can keep his hiney off the injury list, he's not going to get the big payday he wants from the Steelers.

Even that won't be enough, IMO - too many instances of guys playing out of their heads in their contract year and then coasting after getting the big moolah. It's going to take at least 2 solid years for him to get the money he wants, I think.

fansince'76
03-15-2008, 06:39 PM
i know most everyone will poo-poo and dismiss this, but i only provide the link and quote cause i havent found anyone who does more comprehensive research on the steelers and cap situation.

Bryant McFadden is entering the last year of his contract, and I look for the Steelers to extend his contract. I am thinking a five-year contract extension worth $21 million, which includes a $6.5 million signing bonus.

if he can be as good as townsend this would prove to be a great deal.

Not poo-pooing that at all, because if he can crack the starting lineup, that is actually a reasonable contract. However, if he is retaining the services of Rosenhaus, I think he wants a LOT more than that - think Samuel/Clements type of dough (which he isn't anywhere near worth, at least at the moment).

tony hipchest
03-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Not poo-pooing that at all, because if he can crack the starting lineup, that is actually a reasonable contract - however, if he is retaining the services of Rosenhaus, I think he wants a LOT more than that - think Samuel/Clements type of dough (which he isn't anywhere near worth, at least at the moment).

rosenhaus has a bad rap. everybody panic'd when l. timmons selected him as his agent last year, and thought he would STILL be holding out.

im pretty sure he was the second 1st round pick to sign after g. olson, and before relying on other 1st rounders to sign and establish a market. the negotiations were smooth and easy.

drew isnt dumb, and he knows who he is dealing with. omar kahn and the steelers know market value as well as anybody.

fansince'76
03-15-2008, 06:52 PM
rosenhaus has a bad rap. everybody panic'd when l. timmons selected him as his agent last year, and thought he would STILL be holding out. the negotiations were smooth and easy.

im pretty sure he was the second 1st round pick to sign after g. olson, and before relying on other 1st rounders to sign and establish a market. the negotiations were smooth and easy.

drew isnt dumb, and he knows who he is dealing with. omar kahn and the steelers know market value as well as anybody.

Good point - I still have a personal bias against Rosenhaus over the "T.O. Affair" myself.

Preacher
03-15-2008, 06:56 PM
rosenhaus has a bad rap. everybody panic'd when l. timmons selected him as his agent last year, and thought he would STILL be holding out. the negotiations were smooth and easy.

You know, now that I think about it, Rosenhaus did seem to understand who he was dealing with in the Steelers.

Which goes to show that the STeelers way of doing things does make an impact.

tony hipchest
03-15-2008, 07:09 PM
You know, now that I think about it, Rosenhaus did seem to understand who he was dealing with in the Steelers.

Which goes to show that the STeelers way of doing things does make an impact.1st rounders are always the last to sign cause all the agents and teams wanna wait and see what all the other teams are doing , for fear of getting ripped off. a perfect scenario they hope for is the 14th and 16th pick already being signed to establish the value of #15.

the steelers or rosenhaus werent worried about any of this crap, because they are professionals and very experienced. they are strong enough to be the "icebreakers" and not worry about who "got over" on who.

its a respectable and confident way to handle negotiations, if you ask me.

i like drew. he does his job and he does it well, while making his clients tons of money. every athelete whishes to be promoted the way he does his.

Hapa
03-15-2008, 07:14 PM
Is he Darren McFadden's big brother?

Steeldude
03-15-2008, 07:20 PM
i say give mcfadden a 4 year $3.2 mil contract. that's about the most he is worth. if he doesn't like it tell him to talk with the raiders...lmao.

19ward86
03-15-2008, 09:13 PM
He wont deserve the money he gets, no matter where he goes, at least from what we all know. He is just another average corner with average abilities.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-15-2008, 09:59 PM
If I were a football player, I would love to have Rosenhaus as my agent.

And as someone said before, the Steelers have lost better players than McFadden. Rod Woodson comes to mind...and McFadden couldn't sniff Woodson's jock strap.

fansince'76
03-15-2008, 10:27 PM
And as someone said before, the Steelers have lost better players than McFadden. Rod Woodson comes to mind...and McFadden couldn't sniff Woodson's jock strap.

Well, neither could Ike. Comparing McFadden to one of the all-time greats isn't being completely fair.

83-Steelers-43
03-15-2008, 10:55 PM

Prove to me that your able to beat out an aging Deshea Townsend first, then worry about your contract.

:coffee:

Galax Steeler
03-16-2008, 06:24 AM

That is not a bad deal if he can make the starting lineup,I would like to see gay step it up this year and make the starting lineup.

lilyoder6
03-16-2008, 10:49 AM
deshea is getting old.. and he might not be able to keep up with the young wr's 2day

RoethlisBURGHer
03-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Well, neither could Ike. Comparing McFadden to one of the all-time greats isn't being completely fair.

I was just making a point about how the Steelers have let better players walk.

BlastFurnace
03-16-2008, 04:35 PM
I remember that before the SB year, everyone was ready to either cut Ike, let him leave via Free Agency, and it was pretty much thought that he was a guy who couldn't be a pro caliber CB. Ike did it, Colclough didn't, who knows about McFadden.....but, IMO, he has skills and the ability to make it happen.

What we have seen from him is that he is a decent blizter from the Corner position, a good defender, can catch, good running skills, and has decent speed. McFadden's problem is that he hasn't been able to stay healthy.

Will the Steelers pay him what he asks for if he can beat out Townsend and have a nice year at CB, not sure....and with Rosenhous as his agent...probably not. I just want to be the beneficiary of him backing up his talk for this season. I'll worry about next season after he does it this season.

millwalldavey
03-16-2008, 07:08 PM
with the quality of the corners... I can see him raising an issue... but I dont feel he has played enough to warrant much of a discussion

OptionCoach
03-16-2008, 07:19 PM
If he can't beat out DT for the #2 CB job, there is no flippin' way he re-signs with us. And to be honest, the last good thing I can remember him doing was defending that pass against Reggie Wayne in Indy...HUGE play, but...where has he been since?

It's not like he wasn't given ample time to earn the job!! Rosenhaus can have him...our more pressing issues lie on the OL and DL, IMHO.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-17-2008, 12:41 PM
If they sign him before the start of the season, he will be the starter. If he is the starter and goes to FA at the end of the season, he will be gone for more $$ and we will either need a FA or 2nd year rookie to start.

lilyoder6
03-17-2008, 01:11 PM
they should re-sign but he shouldn't get that big of a contract.. he needs to prove himself b4 he gets big bucks

memphissteelergirl
03-17-2008, 04:01 PM
I stopped reading when I saw Rosenhaus' name...the guy's a prick to the nth degree!

BlastFurnace
03-17-2008, 04:04 PM
I had no idea that the Steeler Nation was so down on this guy. If we needed him to, he could start for us and I don't think we would see a huge dropoff or any at all from Deshea. He's not that bad guys...

Dino 6 Rings
03-17-2008, 04:25 PM
McFadden did make back to back plays against the Colts to save the touchdowns after Bettis fumbled and the Colts were within Striking Distance. The kid just needs to be a Starter this year, he has to win the job before he looks for a pay out. Sure, he'd probably start on 20 teams in the league...of coarse, none of those 20 will be in the playoffs.

I wonder if it isn't a learning curve keeping him off the field. is the Dick L defense too complex for him to grasp?

BlastFurnace
03-17-2008, 04:57 PM
McFadden did make back to back plays against the Colts to save the touchdowns after Bettis fumbled and the Colts were within Striking Distance. The kid just needs to be a Starter this year, he has to win the job before he looks for a pay out. Sure, he'd probably start on 20 teams in the league...of coarse, none of those 20 will be in the playoffs.

I wonder if it isn't a learning curve keeping him off the field. is the Dick L defense too complex for him to grasp?

I think it's a couple of things. Coaches have said that Deshea is like a coach on the field and he is still playing pretty well. Sometimes, the younger guys don't get their chance right away. Remember, Ike started because Willie Williams was hurt in the preseason and most Steeler fans were scared to death of how Ike was going to perform. He's done alright and I think McFadden would as well.

He had the high ankle sprain injury that kept him out last season, but before that, he played pretty well.

This isn't directed at you Dino, but it's a question to all who don't like McFadden for some reason.....McFadden is a high confidence guy and he believes he is going to step it up this year....that's why he believes he is in-line for a big pay day. What's so wrong about that?

verks36
03-17-2008, 05:00 PM

ya i agree i say keep Ike and within the next 3 years spend a 1rst round pick on a corner and use them to anchor down the secondary with troy

why pay mcfaden when he hasnt lived up to his potential at all.
unless he has a great year this year we shouldnt give him that much dough

fansince'76
03-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Remember, Ike started because Willie Williams was hurt in the preseason and most Steeler fans were scared to death of how Ike was going to perform.

I also remember more than a few calls for Ike's head during and after the '06 season.

BettisFan
03-17-2008, 05:07 PM
lets sign someone or draft?

BettisFan
03-17-2008, 06:50 PM
I think we could find someone better than mcfadden in FA, in a trade or mabey draft

faneca05
03-17-2008, 08:54 PM
I would rather draft somebody than pay Mcfadden like a full-time starter

BettisFan
03-17-2008, 08:58 PM
exactly

lilyoder6
03-17-2008, 09:00 PM
i woud pay him if he was a starter and showed he was good enough to be a starter.. but if u can't beat out a player who is 34 and is demanding big money there must be something wrong

tony hipchest
03-17-2008, 09:19 PM
HOLY CRAP people.

nowhere does it say mcfadden is looking for $10 mil/year or "big money".

its a writer hitting the panic button because he selected drew rosenhaus to be his new agent. thats it.

i guess 6 pages of ensuing panic and trashing the player should be expected.

yeah, lets piss mcfadden away into the wind (cause thats what all great teams do with a 2nd round draft pick in their 4th year) :rolleyes:

pardon the rant, but people wanna shitcan this young player and not take into account that most of our cb's take several years to crack the starting line-up. deshea townsend had to wait just like mcfadden is now.

its not like we have a top 10 draft pick like rod woodson just sitting around.

and now people arte suggesting we draft a cb with the 1st pick? lmao. he will sit around and wait just like mcfadden has. and if a potential 1st round cb was thrown into the fire in his 1st year as a steeler? LOL most steelerfans would lose patience with him immediately (like the 1st time he got beat deep for a td).

hall, revis, davis, all got burnt and toasted last year for the bengals, jets, and browns, in ways that would have steelerfans up in arms.

we seem to demand perfection, but dont allow time for perfection to develop.

drew rosenhaus is no reason for doom and gloom.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-17-2008, 09:32 PM
HOLY CRAP people.

its a writer hitting the panic button because he selected drew rosenhaus to be his new agent. thats it.

yeah, lets piss mcfadden away into the wind (cause thats what all great teams do with a 2nd round draft pick in their 4th year) :rolleyes:

No way!! Some teams do it with 1st round picks. See JP Losman or Matt Jones for examples.

I thought he was gonna be a nickel corner at best, as he was something like the 11th cb taken in his draft year and got burnt often by Matt Jones in Sr.Bowl workouts that season. He exceeded my expectations, but hasnt done much to take the job from Townsend who isnt a great corner to start with.

The panic button is pushed because Rosenhaus is gonna be a jerk about things and either push for starters money and an extension before the season starts or demand a trade.....and we all know how well that goes over with the Steelers. So most lkely he will be whining and gone after this season.

This leaves the need to draft a CB in the first 3 rounds and Townsend will have to play another 2 seasons or find a stop gap in FA.

BlastFurnace
03-17-2008, 09:57 PM
HOLY CRAP people.

pardon the rant, but people wanna shitcan this young player and not take into account that most of our cb's take several years to crack the starting line-up. deshea townsend had to wait just like mcfadden is now.

and now people arte suggesting we draft a cb with the 1st pick? lmao. he will sit around and wait just like mcfadden has. and if a potential 1st round cb was thrown into the fire in his 1st year as a steeler? LOL most steelerfans would lose patience with him immediately (like the 1st time he got beat deep for a td).

hall, revis, davis, all got burnt and toasted last year for the bengals, jets, and browns, in ways that would have steelerfans up in arms.

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!

Galax Steeler
03-18-2008, 03:59 AM
If he can't show that he can be a starter on the team then it is time to find someone that can.

Dino 6 Rings
03-19-2008, 04:28 PM
I like McFadden and hope he gets his game sharpened enough to be a leader in the secondary. In today's game, a 3rd corner is key, with all the teams trying to throw the ball 75% of the time. We'll need him at his best, even if Deshea and Ike are on the field, it'll be great to have that 3rd CB to cover say...Welker, or whoever a team's #3 guy is in a spread formation.

Welcome To Smashmouth
03-19-2008, 06:09 PM
If we let McFadden slip off of this roster, the orginaization has failed to get the most out of a potential star. I've got faith that we'll make the right decision, but the guy's a starter and I can't wait to see what he does in this league....in the black and gold that is ;)

Townsend has such a great football head on his shoulders, and will serve as a great mentor for hopefully a couple of years to come, but put him in the nickel and let his record of steeler db sacks keep on going....its McFadden's rightful time to shine

BlastFurnace
03-19-2008, 08:48 PM
If we let McFadden slip off of this roster, the orginaization has failed to get the most out of a potential star. I've got faith that we'll make the right decision, but the guy's a starter and I can't wait to see what he does in this league....in the black and gold that is ;)

Townsend has such a great football head on his shoulders, and will serve as a great mentor for hopefully a couple of years to come, but put him in the nickel and let his record of steeler db sacks keep on going....its McFadden's rightful time to shine

I agree with you. I think all McFadden needs is a chance. He's a good corner as it is. If he starts, he and Ike will make quite a tandem.

BettisFan
03-19-2008, 08:54 PM
he wants alot of money so not only a chance a big pay check

lilyoder6
03-19-2008, 09:26 PM
i think that mcfadden will be happy with what ever offer the steelers give him either at the beginning of the yr or at the end.. drew just needs to suck it up.. lol

BettisFan
03-19-2008, 09:29 PM
i hate mr. rousenhous or what ever so much, he is a great agent for the players but sucks for teams

paw-n-maul-u
03-20-2008, 01:05 AM
HOLY CRAP people.

I agree with you, SOMEWHAT. Signing Drew R. doesn't mean diddly. Is he not the agent for anyone else on our team?

However, the idea of drafting a first round corner, or atleast a corner on the first day, isn't a bad idea at all. Evidence: Talib in for a visit.

Hall, Revis, and Ross all did very well for their teams last year. ALL starting, and with the pass happy ways of this league, can never have too many good corners. But you're right, probably not in the first round.

Midnightwriter7
03-20-2008, 01:36 AM
It does take time for corners to develope in Dickie L's defense, Taylor still gets beat and for whatever reason people think he is a shut down corner. McFadden isnt any worse than what we already have on the table and good corners for our style of Defense arent easy to come by. He will be kept, will take to long to develope another corner for three years waiting to see if they actually pan out. I wouldnt mind drafting a Cb.. but not until the third...

BettisFan
03-20-2008, 01:36 AM
I say we take a corner King in the 2nd

Galax Steeler
03-20-2008, 03:49 AM
I seen where talib visited the steelers never know what they are thinking.

Dino 6 Rings
03-20-2008, 08:40 AM
McFadden went to FSU, so whenever he makes a play I can drop the tomahawk, so with that said, we should keep the guy, at least unitl Timmons starts making plays...I need to do my "politically incorrect" indian chant while watching my Steelers. Its fun for me...