PDA

View Full Version : A Tall Receiver

brsteelers
03-15-2008, 03:50 PM
My signature holds a link to the rest of the article below on tall receivers that might be available in the draft for the Steelers. Here's the question, though. Who out there believes that the Steelers will draft a tall receiver after what Big Ben had to say earlier in the offseason?

There will be some guys that fit the bill when the first round ends. . .

RealFootball365.com

"I'm always going to ask for a tall receiver," Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said earlier this offseason, prompting some controversy. Well, in the spirit of seeing that through from a draft perspective, let's discuss the tall receivers -- 6-foot-2 or bigger -- whom the Steelers could pick.

Keep in mind that it's doubtful Pittsburgh will choose a wideout with its first-round pick. (for the rest, see link in signature)

polamalu82
03-15-2008, 03:53 PM
None in the first but most likely rounds 3-7 we could pick one up.
found more info for ya here-- WR Nelson round 3 or 4
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showpost.php?p=376784&postcount=13

Aussie_steeler
03-15-2008, 09:28 PM
I will probably get ripped for this but here goes.

Take Adarius Bowman in the 5th round. He is a player who doesnt measure well at the combine. He could assume the tough possession role in the future that Hines plays so well. His stock was so high during the season but fell once he became scrutinised for his combine performances. Not every guy on the WR corp needs 4.3 speed.

Jordy Nelson will go too high and that leaves Paul Hubbard as the only other possibility ( unless we take Hardy in the first which I could never see happening)

Galax Steeler
03-16-2008, 06:44 AM

Take Adarius Bowman in the 5th round. He is a player who doesnt measure well at the combine. He could assume the tough possession role in the future that Hines plays so well. His stock was so high during the season but fell once he became scrutinised for his combine performances. Not every guy on the WR corp needs 4.3 speed.

Jordy Nelson will go too high and that leaves Paul Hubbard as the only other possibility ( unless we take Hardy in the first which I could never see happening)

That makes sense but you never know what they will be thinking in the draft.

brsteelers
03-16-2008, 07:46 AM

I actually agree with the Bowman selection also if he's available still when it makes sense to take him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-17-2008, 10:24 AM

Yeah you are right. You might get ripped.

Bowman is starting to look like Derek Hagans did a couple years ago. Highly touted guy that catches a lot of passes, but dropped a lot of passes. I still think he is with the Dolphins.

To be a "possession" WR you need to hang onto the ball which Bowman is having trouble doing. I think rather than spend a draft pick to get a big target that isnt fast, we just finally keep Walter Young on the 53 man roster.

Aussie_steeler
03-18-2008, 03:16 AM
To be a "possession" WR you need to hang onto the ball which Bowman is having trouble doing. I think rather than spend a draft pick to get a big target that isnt fast, we just finally keep Walter Young on the 53 man roster.

Its hard for me to make accurate assessments without ever seeing any college games but Bowman sounds like he has been a player at OSU. Reports are also out that he had LASIK eye surgery before the combine and it didnt work out well. He mentioned having blurry vision. He has supposedly gone back and had it corrected. ( I know it sounds like I am making excuses for him)

With the track record in the 5th 6th and 7th rounds lately I think a gamble can be justified to see how someone performs in training camp and early preseason.

If I was choosing I would look at Bowman in the 5th or Jack Ikegwuonu in the 6th if Bowman was gone. He could sit on injured reserve for a year and when healthy he could possibly return towards his original projections (that of a 1st or 2nd round talent). Even if he came back a bit slower he could make a great FS.

Galax Steeler
03-18-2008, 04:02 AM
I don't see us drafting a wr in the first either but you never know look what we did for santoino.