PDA

View Full Version : Steelers no different than Bengals

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-17-2008, 06:24 AM
Madden Monday: Steelers no different than BengalsBy Mark Madden, Times Sports Columnist
Published: Monday, March 17, 2008 12:08 AM EDT

Imagine the following scenario: four Mellon Bank executives are involved in domestic abuse cases. Women’s rights groups and domestic abuse centers would picket. It would be the subject of endless media coverage. The response would be overwhelming. We’d pick at it like a scab.

Here’s a scenario you don’t have to imagine: Four current Steelers have been involved in domestic abuse cases, namely Santonio Holmes, Najeh Davenport, Cedrick Wilson and (most recently) James Harrison, who has admitted to striking his girlfriend.

The response has been underwhelming.

TV coverage has been minimal. The newspaper articles that did appear were mostly concerned with the possibility that the NFL might suspend Harrison, last year’s team MVP. This is about wins and losses, after all. There’s been no comment from the Steelers organization. They want this to go away.

It will.

But the stories are out there, mostly on the down-low.

A previous girlfriend of one of the Steelers involved now dates a friend of a friend. When this Steeler’s domestic abuse case became public knowledge, she broke down. Turns out this Steeler used to beat her, too. She didn’t turn him in. Now she feels responsible for what’s happened since.

Bethany Wingerson works at Women’s Place, which counsels victims of domestic abuse. Wingerson says her group has called the Steelers several times but received no response.

Mark Pudlowski of the Domestic Abuse Counseling Center says his group — which counsels and reforms abusers — sees no need to contact the Steelers. The Steelers can call him. Maybe that’s par for the course in this pursuit, but when something seems epidemic, being proactive makes sense.

Make no mistake, this is epidemic. Steelers fans glory in knocking the Cincinnati Bengals for all their legal peccadilloes, but eight percent of the Steelers’ roster has been involved in domestic abuse. Yet few seem to care. There is zero public rancor.

Making the situation more ironic is the club-fueled myth that the Steelers don’t employ bad apples, they strive for a better class of people. There is no lower class of person than a domestic abuser.

It makes you realize how mighty the Steelers really are. They may be the most powerful entity in Western Pennsylvania. No one wants to ruffle their feathers. If this were Mellon Bank, Federated Investors, Bayer or one of the other sports teams, it would be a feeding frenzy in the media.

But no one — especially the media — wants to anger the Rooneys. If you’re not embraced by the Steelers, what would you lead telecasts with during sweeps week? Actual news? Don’t be silly. Shouldn’t Sally Kalson, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s designated feminist, be all over this in her column?

I’m more disappointed in the women’s groups and the domestic abuse centers. It looks like the glory of football has skewed their priorities.

So, what should the Steelers do? Nothing too complicated. Locker-room awareness generated by mandatory counseling for the entire team, suspension without pay for first-time offenders, and second-time offenders should be released regardless of how much they mean to the team. It should be made clear that employees will not get away with hitting women on the Rooney family’s watch. Right now, that’s not so clear.

The Steelers should also make a forceful public statement condemning these instances of abuse, not just call them a “personal concern” for the player involved (as team spokesman Dave Lockett said in regard to Harrison). The club should also make substantial contributions to domestic abuse centers and use their considerable media influence to further the cause.

What will the Steelers do?

Nothing, of course. Why should they care if nobody else does?http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2008/03/16/sports/steelers/doc47ddede3232a3317711311.txt

Yikes....I posted the story so as not to be a complete "Homer"....I understand where the writer is coming from but comparing us to the Bengals in a little harsh...and actually pretty innacurate considering the sheer volume of team problems, and especially with adding Cedric Wilson to this story to bolster the numbers when it seems obvious he may have been the VICTIM of domestic abuse and not the abuser.

tunes4life
03-17-2008, 07:04 AM
I try not to read his articles. I find that he is more interested in making ripples in the pond than he is actually reporting valuable information. His articles are usually total BS.

DACEB
03-17-2008, 07:09 AM
It's obvious that the league needs to address this issue with a renewed outlook. New policies and punishments need to be established and put in place.

That said, Madden fuels the fire like noone can. This story is almost identical to the one he wrote when the Holmes news broke. And as LLT wrote, including Wilson is comical.

Buzz05
03-17-2008, 07:14 AM
Mark Madden is a joke. Any time he can take a jab at the Steelers he will. I am not condoning the situation of domestic abuse at all. Infact it sickens me. But for Madden to use his bias against a team with something as outrages as this just goes to show he will stoop to new depths to try and trash the Steelers and their players. And anyone he brings down with them will just be gravy on the side for him.

HometownGal
03-17-2008, 07:16 AM
Yikes....I posted the story so as not to be a complete "Homer"....I understand where the writer is coming from but comparing us to the Bengals in a little harsh...and actually pretty innacurate considering the sheer volume of team problems, and especially with adding Cedric Wilson to this story to bolster the numbers when it seems obvious he may have been the VICTIM of domestic abuse and not the abuser.

I'm with you on this one, LLT. While I see where Tubby Tuba is coming from in principle that Steelers fans are more willing to "brush off" a couple of our own getting into trouble while pointing their fingers at players from other teams (which I've mentioned right here on this board), thus far, none of our guys have been repeat offenders, and as you correctly mentioned, Cedric Wilson appears to have been the victim, not the perpetrator.

Do your homework Madden.

After you do so, go eat another dozen doughnuts. :pig:

PisnNapalm
03-17-2008, 07:38 AM
It makes me sick to think of the Steelers name being tarnished like this.

However... This doesn't quite hold a candle to what Ernie Holmes did back in the 1973. High speed car chase while firing shots at a police helicopter.

fansince'76
03-17-2008, 08:26 AM
For Madden to compare the two franchises themselves based on the sheer number of legal transgressions within a certain timeframe is quite a stretch. And to lump Cedric Wilson's problems with his psycho girlfriend in with what Harrison, Davenport and Holmes did is ridiculous. Unfortunately, he hits the nail on the head in describing the apathy of many Steelers fans as far as the Harrison incident is concerned. However, until the Steelers have nine busts in the space of ONE YEAR, and Tomlin starts making statements in the press blaming society, the "racist" police, and everything and everyone else EXCEPT the players themselves for their legal troubles, Madden needs to come down off the high horse. Assuming, of course, that the high horse hasn't collapsed under his considerable weight already.

rbryan
03-17-2008, 08:32 AM
Most of the garbage he spews is intent on striking a nerve with the Steeler Nation. Granted we have a few players who might be better suited for a Bengal uniform, but anyone who can't see a difference in the two organizations is even more delusional than Madden.

delhess
03-17-2008, 09:03 AM
there was some light discussion on sirius nfl radio this morning about this article. follow the link in my sig to listen.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Madden's "articles" are garbage that normally have little or no fact to them. I wouldn't even call what he does for a career journalism.

I did one of those reader response things letting them know that I am unhappy about how they threw Cedric Wilson under the bus with that article. For them to let that article be printed with Cedric Wilson's name lumped in with Holmes, Davenport, and Harrison was just wrong.

TackleMeBen
03-17-2008, 09:32 AM
is it me or has this man been hitting the bottle a little too much? that article had some good points but most of it was crazy.

Dino 6 Rings
03-17-2008, 09:34 AM
How do you get people to read your article? Be controversial, and what's more controversial then comparing any team to the Bengals.

Seriously...its a Hack piece. "read me, please, keep me employed"

Had he done an evaluation of the entire league, including every domestic dispute claim, and then compared it to other leagues, NBA, NHL, MLB, then he'd be a reporter, instead, he's just selling papers. (getting hits on his article)

Counselor
03-17-2008, 09:44 AM
Imagine the following scenario: four Mellon Bank executives are involved in domestic abuse cases. Women’s rights groups and domestic abuse centers would picket. It would be the subject of endless media coverage. The response would be overwhelming. We’d pick at it like a scab.

This is the part that makes me laugh----He's flat out wrong. We'd never even hear about incidences like these regarding 4 "executives" from any company. We just wouldn't. The only time you hear about DV incidents is when its a "public figure" or the violence was serious enough to make the evening news----i.e. someone had to be shot. Otherwise, these things happened every day in every neighborhood and we know nothing about them. As far as I know four executives from (insert company name here) have been involved in some kind of DV that either went unreported, or was swept under the rug.

TackleMeBen
03-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Otherwise, these things happened every day in every neighborhood and we know nothing about them..

or we think something is going on and turn the other way. b/c people dont want to get involved with other people personal lives. as i said this dude just needs to step away from the bottle and learn how to get facts, not just throw something together and put it in the paper.

Edman
03-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Why does Cedric Wilson's problems get lumped into this? Wilson was threatened by his girlfriend, not the other way around.

The Steelers have a long way to go to catch up to the Bengals in terms of being rotten apples.

Dino 6 Rings
03-17-2008, 10:27 AM
the guy is just trying to sell papers

:coffee:

HometownGal
03-17-2008, 11:21 AM
is it me or has this man been hitting the bottle a little too much? that article had some good points but most of it was crazy.

He wouldn't hit the bottle - he'd hit the local Krispy Kreme or several of them.

Mark Madden is a miserable slob who loves to stir the poo. I don't think he even likes himself.

The most glaring difference between our players who have gotten into hot water and theirs is that ours seem to learn their lesson - the Bungles don't.

stillers4me
03-17-2008, 05:40 PM
You might be like the Bengals if:
Your head coach blames the police for profiling his players.

Your head coach blames society for his players crime sprees.

One of your players is charged with a gun felony while wearing his own jersey.

Said same player is arrested for buying alcohol for minor girls.

Said same player is socializing with another Bengal who is serving a one year suspension, that is caught driving drunk, and said player is puking out the window..........all caught on video tape.

A player who has served consecutive years suspensions is reinstated and you welcome him back into the locker room.

Your "star" wide receiver puts his coaches in headlocks in the locker room during halftime of a playoff game.

All of this seems perfectly normal to you and nobody cares cares as long as you win.

You actually draft players with criminal records.

BettisFan
03-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Our guys just need to chill out I really really really dont want us to be viewed like the bungles in any way not even mentioned in the same sentence unless its Steelers beat....

TackleMeBen
03-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Your head coach blames the police for profiling his players.

Your head coach blames society for his players crime sprees.

One of your players is charged with a gun felony while wearing his own jersey.

Said same player is arrested for buying alcohol for minor girls.

Said same player is socializing with another Bengal who is serving a one year suspension, that is caught driving drunk, and said player is puking out the window..........all caught on video tape.

A player who has served consecutive years suspensions is reinstated and you welcome him back into the locker room.

Your "star" wide receiver puts his coaches in headlocks in the locker room during halftime of a playoff game.

All of this seems perfectly normal to you and nobody cares cares as long as you win.

You actually draft players with criminal records.

those are great:sofunny::sofunny:

BettisFan
03-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Q. What's the difference between the Cincinnati Bengals & the Taliban?

A. The Taliban has a running game

Q. What do the Cincinnati Bengals & Billy Graham have in common?

A. They both can make 60,000 people stand up & yell "Jesus Christ" !

Q. How do you keep a Cincinnati Bengal out of your yard?

A. Put up goal posts

Q. Where do you go in case of a tornado?

A. The Paul Brown Stadium - they never get a touchdown there!

Q. What do you call a Cincinnati Bengal with a SuperBowl Championship ring?

A. A thief

Q. Why doesn't Dayton Ohio have a professional football team?

A. Because then Cincinnati would want one

Q. Why was Dick LeBeau upset when the Cincinnati Bengals' playbook was
stolen?

A. Because he hadn't finished coloring it.

Q. What's the difference between the Cincinnati Bengals and a dollar bill?

A. You can still get four quarters out of a dollar

Q. How many Cincinnati Bengals does it take to win a Superbowl?

A. Mike Brown has no idea! -- and we may never know either!

Q. What do you call 47 people sitting around a TV watching the NFL playoffs?

A. The Cincinnati Bengals

Q. What do the Cincinnati Bengals and possums have in common?

A. Both play dead at home and get killed on the road

Q. How can you tell when the Cincinnati Bengals are going to run the
football?

A. The back leaves the huddle with tears in his eyes

19ward86
03-17-2008, 08:04 PM
If i remember holmes' case was dropped, and neither najeh or wilson went to jail.how are the steelers anything like the bengals??James Harrison hasnt been convicted of anything just yet, so until that day comes i dont want to hear Steelers no different than Bengals ever again.

thebus36idf
03-17-2008, 09:14 PM
Lets not forget these crimes are very rarely brought to justice, because once any time has elapsed women often let the love for the other person sway their decision to press charges. I wouldn't go as far as comparing us to the Bengals. I do however must say if we do have even three of our prominent players involved in domestic abuse we must address it. Look what happenend to steroids in baseball when it was just pushed under the rug year after year. It becomes acceptable behavior. This seems to be an epidemic in football in General. That's probably why the bengals have a bad rap, and we don't because these domestic abuse crimes are a more acceptable form of crime. When in fact it is in my opinion very severe, because of the damage it does to other people. What if these three were caught robbing a liquor store. You bet it would be news. Don't get me wrong these guys are part of my beloved STEELERS so I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I just can't give them a pass either.

BettisFan
03-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Jeez this is getting out of hand! We are the steelers and will never be like the bungles!

yinzer-inseattle
03-18-2008, 01:08 AM
OK Mark. If the Steelers are no different than the Bengals, then please take your sh!tty journalism, sh!tty attitude and cover that piece of sh!t organization!

Galax Steeler
03-18-2008, 03:42 AM
OK Mark. If the Steelers are no different than the Bengals, then please take your sh!tty journalism, sh!tty attitude and cover that piece of sh!t organization!

:toofunny::toofunny:

memphissteelergirl
03-18-2008, 10:59 AM
Q. What's the difference between the Cincinnati Bengals & the Taliban?

A. The Taliban has a running game

Q. What do the Cincinnati Bengals & Billy Graham have in common?

A. They both can make 60,000 people stand up & yell "Jesus Christ" !

Q. How do you keep a Cincinnati Bengal out of your yard?

A. Put up goal posts

Q. Where do you go in case of a tornado?

A. The Paul Brown Stadium - they never get a touchdown there!

Q. What do you call a Cincinnati Bengal with a SuperBowl Championship ring?

A. A thief

Q. Why doesn't Dayton Ohio have a professional football team?

A. Because then Cincinnati would want one

Q. Why was Dick LeBeau upset when the Cincinnati Bengals' playbook was
stolen?

A. Because he hadn't finished coloring it.

Q. What's the difference between the Cincinnati Bengals and a dollar bill?

A. You can still get four quarters out of a dollar

Q. How many Cincinnati Bengals does it take to win a Superbowl?

A. Mike Brown has no idea! -- and we may never know either!

Q. What do you call 47 people sitting around a TV watching the NFL playoffs?

A. The Cincinnati Bengals

Q. What do the Cincinnati Bengals and possums have in common?

A. Both play dead at home and get killed on the road

Q. How can you tell when the Cincinnati Bengals are going to run the
football?

A. The back leaves the huddle with tears in his eyes

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

And I'll add this one courtesy of Mr. Jay Leno...

What does a Cinncinati Bengals football player call a signing bonus?
BAIL MONEY!! (ba-dum-bump!)

Thank you very much ladies and gentleman...I'm here all week...have a good night!

BettisFan
03-18-2008, 04:53 PM
:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

And I'll add this one courtesy of Mr. Jay Leno...

What does a Cinncinati Bengals football player call a signing bonus?
BAIL MONEY!! (ba-dum-bump!)

Thank you very much ladies and gentleman...I'm here all week...have a good night!

nice! lol is that really leno's?

memphissteelergirl
03-19-2008, 09:29 AM
LOL...yep...caught it on one of his monologues last fall...paraphrased it a little, tho'.

BettisFan
03-19-2008, 11:31 AM
LOL...yep...caught it on one of his monologues last fall...paraphrased it a little, tho'.

nice I like Jay leno even more!

Dino 6 Rings
03-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Steelers 5 Time Superbowl Champions

Bengals 2 Time LOSERS

Big Difference.

BettisFan
03-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Lets not make fun of them to much i mean we have to beat them 2 times this year anyway so they will have more coming

Dino 6 Rings
03-19-2008, 01:34 PM
I'll make fun of them for as long as Whosyamma is on that team, that son of a B wiped his feet with our towell...how's it been being a Bengal since that? oh yeah, eliminated from the Playoffs twice and swept this year...

nice going jackhole.

BettisFan
03-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Man on man do the bungles suck

CantStop85
03-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Lets not make fun of them to much i mean we have to beat them 2 times this year anyway so they will have more coming

Man on man do the bungles suck

I'm beginning to believe that you are easily persuaded. :sofunny:

BettisFan
03-19-2008, 02:18 PM
I'm beginning to believe that you are easily persuaded. :sofunny:

Not so much my first comment was to the Clowns the second one was against the bungles two different teams

tony hipchest
03-20-2008, 02:29 PM
*bump* :chuckle:

i just had to laugh at the irony in this thread. you just know Mark McTubogoo is wallowing in the fact that he offended so many people lumping cedric in with the rest of the abusers, and then turned out to be right.

A previous girlfriend of one of the Steelers involved [cedric wilson anyone?] now dates a friend of a friend. When this Steeler’s domestic abuse case became public knowledge, she broke down. Turns out this Steeler used to beat her, too. She didn’t turn him in. Now she feels responsible for what’s happened since.

with this statement it seems pretty evident he knew ced wil has been busting womens chops for a while now or else why would he lump him in when he was the 1 "victimized"?

(btw, im not pointing fingers or laughing at anybody in particular, cause im 1 who thought he unfairly threw wilson under the bus.)

revefsreleets
03-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Here is the biggest problem with Madden's argument: He's claiming that the media is afraid of the Rooney's wrath, but what about the media outside of Pittsburgh? Do you think ESPN fears the Rooney's? Nonsense. 8% of the Steelers have been involved in domestic disputes? Guess what? That makes them, relatively speaking, fairly good citizens. Look at some stats about the population in general:

25% of women are involved in domestics
17% of men are involved in domestics
35% of all violent crime involves dd's

I'd say 8% (which is an incorrect figure, since Holmes charges turned out to be bullshit) isn't as awful as he makes it out to be. Is hitting a woman a horribly cowardly thing only a total POS would do? Certainly...unfortunately there are a ton of cowardly POS "men" out there with small dicks and small brains who engage in this kind of thing. But that's just the way it is.

BettisFan
03-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Here is the biggest problem with Madden's argument: He's claiming that the media is afraid of the Rooney's wrath, but what about the media outside of Pittsburgh? Do you think ESPN fears the Rooney's? Nonsense. 8% of the Steelers have been involved in domestic disputes? Guess what? That makes them, relatively speaking, fairly good citizens. Look at some stats about the population in general:

25% of women are involved in domestics
17% of men are involved in domestics
35% of all violent crime involves dd's

I'd say 8% (which is an incorrect figure, since Holmes charges turned out to be bullshit) isn't as awful as he makes it out to be. Is hitting a woman a horribly cowardly thing only a total POS would do? Certainly...unfortunately there are a ton of cowardly POS "men" out there with small dicks and small brains who engage in this kind of thing. But that's just the way it is.

Where did you get those stats? But yea that does make it sound better, its still ridiculous.

revefsreleets
03-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Whoops...didn't post a link. I saw the same rough stats on a website that was from England, so I'm guessing they are probably pretty accurate across the board for Western Civilization.

nicesteel4life
03-22-2008, 11:41 PM
WILD WILD WEST!
Probably a little higher in the USA!

SteelersTilIDie
03-28-2008, 06:10 PM
the steelers dont have any players that have been arrested like 7 times, and when cedrick wilson was accused, they released him. THe only reason they are keeping Harrison is because he was a pro bowl starter last season, but the next time he does somehting like this he will probably be gone. There is no really logical comparison to the Bengals