PDA

View Full Version : Steelers might be defensive-minded with No. 23 pick

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-17-2008, 07:30 AM
Steelers might be defensive-minded with No. 23 pick
The Way We Hear it
Pro Football Weekly
12 March 2008

The way we hear it, the Steelers could address the NFL?s top-rated defense from a season ago in Round One of the 2008 draft. The offensive line is regarded as the Steelers? most pressing need, but the depth of the class overall ? and particularly at tackle ? may allow Pittsburgh to wait to add a young lineman. The top OT prospects are all but certain to be off the board when the Steelers exercise the No. 23 overall pick. The top guard, Virginia?s Branden Albert, can also play tackle, which enhances his value and may lead to him being selected before Pittsburgh picks. Hence, the Steelers' best bet may be to add more talent to an already formidable defense. Pittsburgh is not without needs on that side of the ball, especially along an aging D-line. But it's the line on the other side of the ball that appears to need the most work.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=afcnorth

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-17-2008, 10:02 AM
This is the kind of thinking that I like!!

If in fact, all the good O linemen are gone then take the best available D-lineman. Not a RB, CB, WR like some are pimping just because of their 40 times.

rbryan
03-17-2008, 10:22 AM
I wouldn't be disappointed with a DL #1 If the top OL are gone by 23. It seems that the draft is becoming more predictable every year with all the coverage of the combine, etc..most mocks have the top OL prospects gone by #23 so why reach for 2nd round talent if a #1 DL is available.

However, there is a good chance the Steelers ranking of the top prospects might not look anything like the consensus of the talking heads on ESPN, NFL network etc...How many times have we scratched our heads on draft day asking the question "Who the hell is that guy?" lol

RoethlisBURGHer
03-17-2008, 10:28 AM
I wouldn't mind Aqib Talib if he is available at pick #23 and there isn't an offensive lineman worth the #23 pick.

I don't think there is going to be a defensive lineman at #23 that's worth the pick either.

So if Talib is there, I say take him. Townsend isn't getting any younger and I don't have any faith in Bryant McFadden to take over the #2 slot...and with the new agent he's gonna want starters money.

Talib can help in two departments, defensive secondary and kick/punt returns.

Dino 6 Rings
03-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Best Player available is what I want.

If a D lineman on the board is considered better than an OT on the board, draft DL.

rbryan
03-17-2008, 10:52 AM
I will be disappointed if we don't address the OL,DL in the 3 of the first 4 rds, but it won't be the first time...lol.....Ultimately I have to assume the FO is better at judging talent than I am.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-17-2008, 11:48 AM
most mocks have the top OL prospects gone by #23 lol

I dont know about that. A lot that I see have Long, Williams, Clady gone for sure by #23. Then others I see have Otah gone and either Albert or Cherilus still there.

This draft is deep in D-line, CB too, with at least 3 RB's being projected in the first round and 3 or 4 wr's.

I could be wrong, but just have a hard time buying that Long, Williams, Clady, Otah, Albert, Cherilus and Baker all go in the first 22 picks.

I know some have Cherilus and Baker sliding to the top of round 2, but some teams probably covet their skills for their system. Either way I still have no problem going DT and getting an OT in round 2.

randy06
03-17-2008, 12:23 PM
ya i think we will either go defensive, or maybe a reciever you never know

Haiku_Dirtt
03-17-2008, 12:39 PM
This is the kind of thinking that I like!!

If in fact, all the good O linemen are gone then take the best available D-lineman. Not a RB, CB, WR like some are pimping just because of their 40 times.

I agree for the most part. But if Mendenhall or J. Stewart happen to fall to 23 I'd be issuing a 'screaming buy' order. Especially I think Rashard has the kind of durability that can sustain a three-year rebuild of our offensive line.

But the news about McFadden hiring a pimp...:wave: his final year in B&G.

DACEB
03-17-2008, 12:53 PM
Defense wins championships, folks!!

I personally love this idea, but as we all know if the right o-lineman is there, that will be the pick.

I can't see going D-line, maybe because I don't care for Balmer or Cambell (boom or bust). I can definetly see DB, or one of my faves, Quentin Groves!!

ShutDown24
03-17-2008, 01:18 PM
We should... Move up and take Chris Long!

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

Dino 6 Rings
03-17-2008, 01:22 PM
We should... Move up and take Chris Long!

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

LOL! now that's FUNNY!

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-17-2008, 01:29 PM
I agree for the most part. But if Mendenhall or J. Stewart happen to fall to 23 I'd be issuing a 'screaming buy' order. Especially I think Rashard has the kind of durability that can sustain a three-year rebuild of our offensive line.

But the news about McFadden hiring a pimp...:wave: his final year in B&G.

I really dont see the 3 year rebuild happening, especially if they start Starks.

Next season will see Smith, Kemo, Stapleton(or Mahan) Simmons and Starks, with the following being Starks, Kemo, Stapleton, Simmons, 08 draft pick.

As for any screaming buy....I think both Stewart or Mendenhall can be good players in the league, but not needed with our current RB lineup.

Stewart is out for 4 months after surgery on his foot and as for Mendenhall's durability. He only started 1 season at Illinois, so its hard to say he has a "track record" of durability. If anything, he just has low mileage and inexperience.

lilyoder6
03-17-2008, 02:15 PM
with the surgery on stewart he will fall out of the 1 rd and maybe maybe the 1st day

19ward86
03-17-2008, 09:09 PM
If we go defense in the first round i want to see the next two rounds spent on offensive lineman, then we can get a WR and CB in the late rounds. Our last pick can be spent on anything, more than likely the guy wont even make the team anyway.

Steeldude
03-17-2008, 09:22 PM
that's been the steelers problem for many years now. they wait until later rounds to grab O-linemen. hopefully they don't neglect the O-line again.

if they aren't going OL in the 1st. then i feel they should go for DL.

stay away from talib. the steelers already have a mcfadden.

hopefully no WRs are taken in the first 4 rounds.

The Duke
03-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Our last pick can be spent on anything, more than likely the guy wont even make the team anyway.

and that's the approach no nfl gm should ever take. do you realize how many good players have come out of the last round? donald driver and brett keisel just to name a couple

Steeldude
03-17-2008, 09:29 PM
I wouldn't mind Aqib Talib if he is available at pick #23 and there isn't an offensive lineman worth the #23 pick.

I don't think there is going to be a defensive lineman at #23 that's worth the pick either.

So if Talib is there, I say take him. Townsend isn't getting any younger and I don't have any faith in Bryant McFadden to take over the #2 slot...and with the new agent he's gonna want starters money.

Talib can help in two departments, defensive secondary and kick/punt returns.

the problem with talib is he is slow, undisciplined, off-field issues, co-cky and isn't physical against the run.

there are a number of CBs available in the later rounds that have better value.

BettisFan
03-17-2008, 09:29 PM
A corner?

Black@Gold Forever32
03-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Defense wins championships, folks!!

I personally love this idea, but as we all know if the right o-lineman is there, that will be the pick.

I can't see going D-line, maybe because I don't care for Balmer or Cambell (boom or bust). I can definetly see DB, or one of my faves, Quentin Groves!!

I have questions about Balmer and Merling playing DL in a 3-4......I would hate to waste a first round pick on a DL that may not fit into a 3-4 defense...Its so tricky finding those 3-4 DL.....If we go defense in the first round I would love to see DRC but he won't be there at 23....He is the best corner in this draft.....But I would be all for Groves....Team him with Woodley at OLB and the Steelers would have two young OLB for their 3-4....Harrison would start until Groves is ready...Mix in Timmons and if he can play ILB the Steelers LB core would be young and have the potential to be one of the best in the NFL....You can never have enough pass rushers....

My top three right now for the Steelers would this....

1A. Chris Williams or

1B.Brandon Albert-I don't expect Williams to be there but he might...So if not then draft Albert...I would have a cow if Ryan Clady fell to 23 but that won't happen....

2. Quentin Groves-Can never have enough pass rushers and would give us another young OLB to groom....

lilyoder6
03-17-2008, 10:08 PM
groves is a good player that could fit in well like woodly did.. i would like 4 dcr to be there but u can only wish

Shoes
03-17-2008, 10:10 PM
I hope when pick 23 comes around Branden Albert is still waiting for the Steelers!

Galax Steeler
03-18-2008, 04:49 AM
I hope when pick 23 comes around Branden Albert is still waiting for the Steelers!

I also would like to see albert fall to the steelers I like his playing style.

Elvis
03-18-2008, 06:03 PM
I like the idea of the Steelers taking a defensive player in the1st round if its the right player of course... I would like to see a DE or a DB/FS player. If Kenny Phillips falls to the steelers at 23 then I would love to see that pick made. I dont really see it happening but I would like it. A DE like Balmer would be fine with me also, but I think that the steelers could get Langdon, even if they have to trade up in the 2nd a little bit. I would just hate to see us not get a OG Albert if he is available though. This guy could turn out to be the steal of the 1st round.

BettisFan
03-18-2008, 09:57 PM
now for sure we are we got hartwig

drew102e
03-24-2008, 01:54 PM
nah, lets just take the whichever bad character guy slips to us, it works for the bengals...oh wait no it doesnt :)

*retracts statement