PDA

View Full Version : Who will we keep?

BettisFan
03-17-2008, 09:23 PM
Now adays it seems like new and more teams are cleaning house every year now, With that being said who on the steelers do you all think will stay here the rest of their carrer and for how long? For example Hines Ward I think he will finish here mabey 2 or 3 more years and James Harrison wont finish here and will leave after this season.. Who do you think and why will they stay or why not?

Newzfoxjr
03-17-2008, 09:37 PM
You guys will probably keep Matt Schaub.

BettisFan
03-17-2008, 09:48 PM
How much longer do you all think Hines will play? WIll he finish here?

lilyoder6
03-17-2008, 10:01 PM
well ben was a sure answer since he got a 8 yr deal.. i would like to see troy finish here.. but u can never know for sure

HometownGal
03-17-2008, 10:02 PM

Hey Newz - how 'bout we keep this thread on topic? Bettisfan isn't talking about the Texans here. You've all had your fun with Bettisfan - let's stop beating the dead horse, please?

Thanks. :smile:

BettisFan
03-17-2008, 10:05 PM
well ben was a sure answer since he got a 8 yr deal.. i would like to see troy finish here.. but u can never know for sure

Yea thats good, Troy should if we pay him right again i ask Ward?

NJarhead
03-17-2008, 10:11 PM
If they'll let Rod Woodson go, I can see them letting Troy and most of the others go. Hines will retire after no more than 3 more seasons (he's already mentioned it). Ben's the (ever ellusive) franchise QB so he stays.., barring injury or total lack of performance of course. Farrior's getting older and could end up retiring as a Steeler.

BettisFan
03-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Your right about letting Rod go i guess they would let any one go, and that article someone posted the other day saying the steelers drop vets and clean house alot makes me think it will for sure happen which i hope it does not. Troy and Hines are such fan favorites how can they do that to us?!

BettisFan
03-17-2008, 10:34 PM
Why do you guys think about heath? Is he a guy who can be trashed and replaced?

RoethlisBURGHer
03-17-2008, 10:39 PM
Hines Ward will spend his entire career a Pittsburgh Steeler. I don't see him playing more than three more years.

Ben Roethlisberger will spend his entire playing career a Pittsburgh Steeler. His new contract almost gaurantees it.

I think Troy Polamalu will be a Steeler for his whole career.

And I think Harrison will too, barring any more arrests for domestic violence.

Farrior has a good chance to, but I think this is the last year of his contract. If he still has the fire, I can see him latching on somehwere else for a year or two. I don't think we would resign him, we wouldn't even sign Clark Haggans to a backup contract.

I think at the end of Willie's contract we'll let him go. He'll want a lot of money, and I don't think the Steelers will look to keep him, unless he takes a big paycut to stay with the team that signed him as an undrafted FA.

I think there is a good chance Ike can, but I can also see him walking as a FA when his contract is up.

I think Foote will eventually leave, I have a feeling within the next few years he will be replaced as a starter here, and he won't want to sit the bench.

Heath Miller is an exceptional pass catching TE. I think he's rather underrated, and I think he could leave at the end of his rookie contract...especially if we regress in using the TE as a receiving option.

NJarhead
03-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Hines has waaaay more prestige than Troy, so I'm trying not going to get too attached to anyone not named Hines or Ben. I loved Yancy, Greg, Rod, Carnell, Peezy and a half a dozen others.
Funny story, it seemed like each time I'd buy a jersey, the player was gone the next year, so...I never bought a Carnell Lake jersey, but he left anyway. On the other hand I bought like three Kordell Stewart jerseys (mine and gifts) and he stuck around.....can't win sometimes.

Heath is another one that you would think would be kept, yet we let go "the best blocking TE in the NFL" so....

At the end of the day, I trust the Rooney's and Co. to do what's best.

BettisFan
03-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Hines Ward will spend his entire career a Pittsburgh Steeler. I don't see him playing more than three more years.

Ben Roethlisberger will spend his entire playing career a Pittsburgh Steeler. His new contract almost gaurantees it.

I think Troy Polamalu will be a Steeler for his whole career.

And I think Harrison will too, barring any more arrests for domestic violence.

Farrior has a good chance to, but I think this is the last year of his contract. If he still has the fire, I can see him latching on somehwere else for a year or two. I don't think we would resign him, we wouldn't even sign Clark Haggans to a backup contract.

I think at the end of Willie's contract we'll let him go. He'll want a lot of money, and I don't think the Steelers will look to keep him, unless he takes a big paycut to stay with the team that signed him as an undrafted FA.

I think there is a good chance Ike can, but I can also see him walking as a FA when his contract is up.

I think Foote will eventually leave, I have a feeling within the next few years he will be replaced as a starter here, and he won't want to sit the bench.

Heath Miller is an exceptional pass catching TE. I think he's rather underrated, and I think he could leave at the end of his rookie contract...especially if we regress in using the TE as a receiving option.
I agree with everything but Harrison he just seems like he will come out asking for tons of money and do more dum stuff (Attacking women) I just dont see him here. Who will replace willie a rook? Najeh?

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-17-2008, 10:46 PM
I'm still having a hard time getting over the loss of bubby brister...

The Duke
03-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Who will replace willie a rook? Najeh?

hopefully another undrafted free agent, lol

najeh? you're kidding right? he's like 30 already

NJarhead
03-17-2008, 10:48 PM
I'm still having a hard time getting over the loss of bubby brister...

HA! Yea, I though Kent Graham was a keeper too.

BettisFan
03-17-2008, 11:01 PM
hopefully another undrafted free agent, lol

najeh? you're kidding right? he's like 30 already

yea hes liek 29 ur right

Dylan
03-17-2008, 11:17 PM
i voted for ben but i think troy, heath, hines and farrior will to

BettisFan
03-18-2008, 12:12 AM
I dunno about Farrior I hope he doesnt get money crazy he is on his way out of the nfl just finish it peacefully

Dylan
03-18-2008, 12:18 AM
I dunno about Farrior I hope he doesnt get money crazy he is on his way out of the nfl just finish it peacefully

i think i actually read that farrior will take a pay cut as long as he can be a steeler. i believe his agent said farrior wanted to finish his career a steeler.

not 100% percent sure though on that

Blitzburgh_Fever
03-18-2008, 04:53 AM
i think i actually read that farrior will take a pay cut as long as he can be a steeler. i believe his agent said farrior wanted to finish his career a steeler.

not 100% percent sure though on that

That would be awesome. James Farrior rocks, such a solid MLB without getting any of the bad publicity that comes with a lot of other LBers -- Lance Briggs, Ray Lewis, etc. Those are the guys I love to see the Steelers pickup in FA, and he was the definition, to me, of a "good FA score". :helmet:

I see Ben, Troy, Hines, and Harrison finishing it out here for sure. Woodley as well...for some reason he seems to realize and appreciate the prestige of being a Steelers LB (or maybe I'm just making things up in my head -- quite possible). I agree on Parker; assuming he doesn't take a paycut and continue playing for the team that gave him a shot, I think he'll opt for the money he can. And best of luck to him! :cheer:

Galax Steeler
03-18-2008, 04:55 AM
I would love to see miller finsish his carrer as a steeler he is a good ball player.

stlrtruck
03-18-2008, 02:53 PM
I said Hines but can very well see Ben, Willie, and Troy in that lineup too. Outside of that it's very hard to tell.

Of course as is with any player - it depends on their attitude and if they truly play for the love of the game or the love of money.

BettisFan
03-18-2008, 04:32 PM
I will miss hines if he leaves i will be so pissed

19ward86
03-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Ive heard ward say he would like to get to 10,000 yds recieving before he retires. He has around 8,500 now, so i say 3 more yrs depending on if he is going to be like barry sanders or maybe 6-7 more yrs if he is going to be like troy brown.

BettisFan
03-18-2008, 05:12 PM
That would be this shiznit i would be so happy!

Elvis
03-18-2008, 05:50 PM
I voted for Ben and I hope that this is a certain thing and with a 8 year contract I think that it will be him. I would love for Hines to be here for the entirity of his career, but with the way the Steelers are and the way Hines is, I dont see it happening because Hines will want to play for another 10 years and the steelers will no way keep him that long unless he is paid the league minimum for a veteran.
:tt02:

BettisFan
03-18-2008, 05:51 PM
I voted for Ben and I hope that this is a certain thing and with a 8 year contract I think that it will be him. I would love for Hines to be here for the entirity of his career, but with the way the Steelers are and the way Hines is, I dont see it happening because Hines will want to play for another 10 years and the steelers will no way keep him that long unless he is paid the league minimum for a veteran.
:tt02:

you never know he loves the steelers and the burgh he might take the cut to stay on the team.

BettisFan
03-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Because this is a business the Loyalty between player and organization is nil. It's all about the $.

I dont think thats true about all players, i have faith in Hines that he will do whats right.

MDSteel15
03-21-2008, 12:08 AM
This is flawed just by the fact that Farrior came to us from the Jets. Now he may finish his career here but he didn't play his entire career with us.

Stlrs4Life
03-21-2008, 01:21 PM
James Harrison wont finish here and will leave after this season.. Who do you think and why will they stay or why not?

What makes you think Harrison will not finish here?

BettisFan
03-21-2008, 03:44 PM
What makes you think Harrison will not finish here?

Well if he doesnt screw up again, but also he seems like he will want alot more money in a few years and the steelers dont pay vets much.

BettisFan
03-23-2008, 03:00 AM
Between Ward and Farrior who is most likely to finish here? Both vets who will most likely want more money.

fansince'76
03-23-2008, 08:37 AM
.... the steelers dont pay vets much.

Yeah, you're right - it's not like they just inked a $100 million contract for a 4 year VETERAN QB, or made a VETERAN safety (Troy) the highest-paid safety in the league, or made a VETERAN OG (Faneca) the highest-paid OG in the league back in 2002 or anything like that. No, the Steelers don't give veterans on the wrong side of 30 stupid money, that's all. The Dolphins, however, do (see Porter). The Dolphins are now paying through the nose for an aging LB that can no longer cut the mustard. That's the difference between teams that finish 1-15 and draft in the top 5 on an almost yearly basis and teams that are consistently in the playoff hunt.

steeltheone
03-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Farrior started with the jets.....no whole career

Foote would be lucky to make another roster

Polamalu keeps playing like he has been ...we will let him go

FWP rb's are more easily replaced

Heath Steelers don't pay big money for WR'S .....So long te

BettisFan
03-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Yeah, you're right - it's not like they just inked a $100 million contract for a 4 year VETERAN QB, or made a VETERAN safety (Troy) the highest-paid safety in the league, or made a VETERAN OG (Faneca) the highest-paid OG in the league back in 2002 or anything like that. No, the Steelers don't give veterans on the wrong side of 30 stupid money, that's all. The Dolphins, however, do (see Porter). The Dolphins are now paying through the nose for an aging LB that can no longer cut the mustard. That's the difference between teams that finish 1-15 and draft in the top 5 on an almost yearly basis and teams that are consistently in the playoff hunt.

By Veteran i mean late 20's 28 or 29 and 30's dude, I dont consider Ben a Vet or Troy they are both still young. Also you diddnt answer my question.

BettisFan
03-23-2008, 11:37 AM
Farrior started with the jets.....no whole career

Foote would be lucky to make another roster

Polamalu keeps playing like he has been ...we will let him go

FWP rb's are more easily replaced

Heath Steelers don't pay big money for WR'S .....So long te

Doesnt matter about the whole carrer that wasnt the question i just asked who would finish here. And we are not gunna let Troy go.

fansince'76
03-23-2008, 12:37 PM
By Veteran i mean late 20's 28 or 29 and 30's dude, I dont consider Ben a Vet or Troy they are both still young.

Right.

The Steelers reached a four-year contract extension with defensive end Aaron Smith that will keep him in Pittsburgh through the 2011 season.

Smith was entering the final year of his contact and was scheduled to make $4.5 million.

The deal, which runs through the 2011 season, is for roughly $25 million and rewrites the final year of the 31-year-old Smith's current contract, under which he was due a $1 million roster bonus and a salary of $3.5 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2781839

If a somewhat older vet is worth keeping around, the Steelers make every REASONABLE effort to keep them around. By reasonable, I don't mean offering a 5-year, $8 million-per-season contract to an OG whose best seasons are already clearly behind him, or a 5-year, $6.4 million-per-season contract to a LB whose best seasons are already clearly behind him. Again, there's more than a couple reasons that teams like the Jets and Dolphins suck on an almost yearly basis while the Steelers are for the most part perennial playoff contenders. Grossly overpaying past-their-prime veterans based solely on past performance is one of them.

steeltheone
03-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Doesnt matter about the whole carrer that wasnt the question i just asked who would finish here. And we are not gunna let Troy go.

Troy was the most overpaid, underproducing player we had last year......I understand injurys had something to do with that....Be honest with yourself,you can't pay a guy that kind of money for 8 games a year. And in those games, all the diving around and missed tackles he had. I hope it was just the injurys, but he was far from a pro bowler even when he did play. Lets hope he can get away from the injury bug and get back to normal.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Troy was the most overpaid, underproducing player we had last year......I understand injurys had something to do with that....Be honest with yourself,you can't pay a guy that kind of money for 8 games a year. And in those games, all the diving around and missed tackles he had. I hope it was just the injurys, but he was far from a pro bowler even when he did play. Lets hope he can get away from the injury bug and get back to normal.

Watch it bro.....You're knocking Troy P. and that is sacreligious in some parts of the Stiller Nation....lol

But I agree with you about Troy...I agree injuries effected him last year....The last two seasons he has been nagged with injuries...I'm starting to wonder why all of sudden Troy is becoming more injury prone?...Yes playing in the NFL will do that to a player....But maybe Troy and some of his unorthodox training methods is causing him to lose strength and making him weaker which is leading him to be more prone to injury?...October 22, 2006 was the date of Troy's last INT....Thats an alarming stat for an high impact player like Troy is supposed to be...

I'm also not knocking the Rooney's for resigning Troy...They made the right move but maybe somebody needs to step in and make sure everything is right with Troy....Plus a nice clean bill of health could do wonders....Before anybody gets butt hurt by this post...I'm not knocking but just wondering why Troy Polamalu hasn't been the same....I know the injuries are a factor but at the sametime I'm thinking injuries are not the only factor....

For this defense to be really special it needs the Troy P of 04/05....Not the player he has been the last two seasons....

BettisFan
03-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Watch it bro.....You're knocking Troy P. and that is sacreligious in some parts of the Stiller Nation....lol

But I agree with you about Troy...I agree injuries effected him last year....The last two seasons he has been nagged with injuries...I'm starting to wonder why all of sudden Troy is becoming more injury prone?...Yes playing in the NFL will do that to a player....But maybe Troy and some of his unorthodox training methods is causing him to lose strength and making him weaker which is leading him to be more prone to injury?...October 22, 2006 was the date of Troy's last INT....Thats an alarming stat for an high impact player like Troy is supposed to be...

I'm also not knocking the Rooney's for resigning Troy...They made the right move but maybe somebody needs to step in and make sure everything is right with Troy....Plus a nice clean bill of health could do wonders....Before anybody gets butt hurt by this post...I'm not knocking but just wondering why Troy Polamalu hasn't been the same....I know the injuries are a factor but at the sametime I'm thinking injuries are not the only factor....

For this defense to be really special it needs the Troy P of 04/05....Not the player he has been the last two seasons....

I think Troy is a beast i love the guy i want him here for ever!

Black@Gold Forever32
03-23-2008, 05:45 PM
I think Troy is a beast i love the guy i want him here for ever!

Didn't I mention cutting or trading Troy? Don't think I did but at the same time I'm not going to pretend that Troy has played at a high level the last few years....I think injuries have been a factor but I also think there is other factors also contributing to his decline in play...I don't know for sure....I'm just speculating....But Troy missed a ton of tackles last year....At times the whole defense did also....So it wasn't just Troy...Plus its almost been two years since his last INT...Thats a disturbing streak to me....I'm not saying Troy should intercept 5-7 balls every year...But thats to long of a streak especially for a safety that most people had rated as the best or 2nd best safety in the NFL...I don't think Troy is washed up and I don't regret the Rooney's resigning him...I just want that old number 43 flying around making plays instead of flying around and missing plays....Hopefully its just been the injuries and Troy can stay healthy this year....But him being dinged that last two years has me thinking...

BettisFan
03-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Didn't I mention cutting or trading Troy? Don't think I did but at the same time I'm not going to pretend that Troy has played at a high level the last few years....I think injuries have been a factor but I also think there is other factors also contributing to his decline in play...I don't know for sure....I'm just speculating....But Troy missed a ton of tackles last year....At times the whole defense did also....So it wasn't just Troy...Plus its almost been two years since his last INT...Thats a disturbing streak to me....I'm not saying Troy should intercept 5-7 balls every year...But thats to long of a streak especially for a safety that most people had rated as the best or 2nd best safety in the NFL...I don't think Troy is washed up and I don't regret the Rooney's resigning him...I just want that old number 43 flying around making plays instead of flying around and missing plays....Hopefully its just been the injuries and Troy can stay healthy this year....But him being dinged that last two years has me thinking...

Was not aware of the int streak, thats sad, also its true his production has been down but I think our D is playing better as a whole, He i think if healthy will up his game, he wants to win as much as the next guy, if he does miss plays or what not , i dont think its that he is not trying, he is a determined hard working player.

BettisFan
03-23-2008, 07:24 PM

That streak is BS i just checked on NFL.com he had 3 ints last year. Come on check your self before you wreck your self! lol see no need to hate on troy.

steeltheone
03-23-2008, 09:27 PM
I agree that signing troy was the right thing to do. Since then, he has not lived up to that dollar amount. Injurys or not, that kills and organization cap wise. Our Defense is not playing better as a whole. We could not get consistant pressure on anyone. We could not hold a lead....Jacksonville...and it was the worst tackling Steelers defense i ever saw.

BettisFan
03-23-2008, 09:37 PM
I agree that signing troy was the right thing to do. Since then, he has not lived up to that dollar amount. Injurys or not, that kills and organization cap wise. Our Defense is not playing better as a whole. We could not get consistant pressure on anyone. We could not hold a lead....Jacksonville...and it was the worst tackling Steelers defense i ever saw.

We allowed the least yards per game total, 3rd least in passing yards per game, and 3rd least in rushing per game. We had a bad game vs. the Jags, dude we are doing great and are better.

SteelCityMan786
03-23-2008, 09:49 PM

:trash::huh::offtopic::offtopic::huh::trash:

BettisFan
03-23-2008, 10:01 PM
:trash::huh::offtopic::offtopic::huh::trash:

True that bro, lol :cheers:

Black@Gold Forever32
03-24-2008, 01:15 AM
That streak is BS i just checked on NFL.com he had 3 ints last year. Come on check your self before you wreck your self! lol see no need to hate on troy.

He didn't have three INTs last year...You better check yourself before you talk shit..He had 3 in 2006...Which October 22 , 2006 was his last....

Black@Gold Forever32
03-24-2008, 01:23 AM
The Steelers had 11 INTs as a team last year....There is the 11....There is no Troy on the list Bettisfan...You probably looked at forced fumble which Troy had 3 of those genius...lol Stick to the Texans you might be better with knowing their stats...Troy had 0 sacks also last year which he used be good for some of them also....I also watched all the games last year so I don't need to check nfl.com to know Troy didn't have an INT...Maybe if you actually watched a Steeler game you would learn something...lol

Ike Taylor 3
Anthony Smith 2
Deshea Townsend 2
Bryant McFadden 1
James Harrison 1
Larry Foote 1
James Farrior 1
TOTAL 11

paw-n-maul-u
03-24-2008, 02:47 AM
Holy cow, if Troy P. gets this kind of persecution, have mercy on the rest of the OBVIOUSLY under performing steelers.

gimme a break. Troy had a knee sprain pretty much all last year, yes?

missed 5 games ... can anyone tell me how many INT's the HIGHEST PAID SAFETY in the league had last year ... his name is bob, he had 2. woopdee doo.

If would could get some pressure on the QB ...

... and if Troy could stay healthy .... there's a consequence to playing balls-to-the-wall every game. what a joke, how can someone possibly complain about Troy

paw-n-maul-u
03-24-2008, 02:49 AM
Holy cow, if Troy P. gets this kind of persecution, have mercy on the rest of the OBVIOUSLY under performing steelers.

missed 5 games ... can anyone tell me how many INT's the HIGHEST PAID SAFETY in the league had last year ... his name is bob, he had 2. woopdee doo.

... and if Troy could stay healthy .... there's a consequence to playing balls-to-the-wall every game. what a joke, how can someone possibly complain about Troy

and this aint no "OMG YELL AT TROY BLASPHEMY"

this is a ... hey, REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY?, we're complaining about our probowl safety when theres over 100+ mil invested in our QB sacked more on average than any other QB in the league.?

Preacher
03-24-2008, 02:53 AM
If they'll let Rod Woodson go, I can see them letting Troy and most of the others go. Hines will retire after no more than 3 more seasons (he's already mentioned it). Ben's the (ever ellusive) franchise QB so he stays.., barring injury or total lack of performance of course. Farrior's getting older and could end up retiring as a Steeler.

No.

They did not let Rod go.

They asked Rod to switch to Safety. Rod said no, he was going still compete at CB. Because of that, Rod signed somewhere else. The Steelers were TRYING to sign him.

Preacher
03-24-2008, 02:55 AM

Balls to the wall is fine... in its place.

But the great players have learned how to keep themselves healthy as well, for instance... not going DIVING OVER THE TOP of the entire OL... just to get flipped on your head.

I love Troy. I want him to be a part of us until he retires. But he needs to start taking care of himself ON THE FIELD.

paw-n-maul-u
03-24-2008, 02:59 AM
touche preach. That I do agree with.

BUT. how can you tell a player not to play the way that makes him the most effective?

That's how he plays. balls. to. the. wall. every play.

Lets all take a valium or percocet and watch the 2005 SB DVD (w/ playoffs) ... then rethink our position on troy.

paw-n-maul-u
03-24-2008, 03:00 AM
actually ... screw troy ... TYRONE CARTER for SS 2008!

steeltheone
03-24-2008, 08:29 AM
REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY?, we're complaining about our probowl safety when theres over 100+ mil invested in our QB sacked more on average than any other QB in the league.?

If it would not be for our mobile QB....He would have been sacked twice as much....i really can't believe you made this statement knowing how bad our line was. We rode Big Bens back last year.

Galax Steeler
03-24-2008, 08:45 AM
actually ... screw troy ... TYRONE CARTER for SS 2008!

:toofunny: