PDA

View Full Version : Steelers showing hand in draft?

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-18-2008, 04:10 AM
Steelers | Team meets with D. Moore
Mon, 17 Mar 2008 11:29:37 -0700

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers met with University of Maryland DL Dre Moore Monday, March 17.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steelers | Dykes meets with team
Mon, 17 Mar 2008 11:28:25 -0700

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers met with University of West Virginia DL Keilen Dykes Monday, March 17.
http://www.kffl.com/team/30/nfl

Take it for what its worth...but both these players show to be 3-4 round picks. I had thought we might take a DE/DT in the third round but also think that it svery hard to tell what is a trend and what is smoke and mirrors and this time of year.

With these two and the reported look that the Steelers are giving DE Kendall Langford...it would appear we are looking at D-line help at the beginning of the second day.

DACEB
03-18-2008, 05:49 AM
I have Dykes projected for the 4th or 5th (if we want him, the 4th), Moore could go in the 2nd or 3rd IMO.

I like that the team appears to be covering all their bases by looking at talent throughout all the rounds.

Elvis
03-18-2008, 07:50 AM
I think that with the talent that Branden Albert has displayed of being able to play either the OG or OT positions it gives the steelers some flexibility if there is not a top notch OT like Williams or Cherilus available at 23. But with all that I have heard about Albert, maybe we would be better off just selecting Albert and playing him at LG this season and maybe next year after LT Smith is gone move him there and that gives us more time to find a top notch OG. I wouldnt mind at all if the Steelers select Langford in the 2nd and even if they have to trade up to do so. If teams start thinking that someone is gonna really want a certain player... kind of like the Browns Bengals or Ravens... they might select him even if he isnt on their needy board. It wouldnt suprise me at all to see the steelers select a DE in the 1st round though either.
:coffee:

DACEB
03-18-2008, 08:07 AM
With these two and the reported look that the Steelers are giving DE Kendall Langford...it would appear we are looking at D-line help at the beginning of the second day.

There seems to be plenty of talent and value for D-line on day 2.
Langford, Powell, Dykes have all been looked at by the team, and there is Rubin, Okam, Harrison and Hayden.

The only D-lineman I would like before the 3rd is Red Bryant, projected for late 2nd. I think the team is looking DB in the 2nd though.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Take it for what its worth...but both these players show to be 3-4 round picks. I had thought we might take a DE/DT in the third round but also think that it svery hard to tell what is a trend and what is smoke and mirrors and this time of year.

See on NFL network last night they said the Steelers are looking at guys like Lichetenstiger, Pollack, Sullivan....that doesnt look promising.

Maybe they think Langford will be there in the 3rd of 4th.

I would be happy to see:

RD1 Brandon Albert (or Otah)
RD2 Tracy Porter (or Justin King)
RD3 Kendall Langford

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-18-2008, 12:05 PM
See on NFL network last night they said the Steelers are looking at guys like Lichetenstiger, Pollack, Sullivan....that doesnt look promising.

I would be happy to see:

RD3 Kendall Langford

That is virtually exactly what I think...though lately I have been keeping an eye on Godfrey out of Iowa in the second round...he can play FS or CB..

Keep an eye on him at his Pro day.

DACEB
03-18-2008, 12:05 PM

I would be happy to see:

RD3 Kendall Langford

Correct me if you think I'm wrong, but the way I see it is;
Pollak 2nd
Sullivan 3rd
Lichetensteiger 4th
all are centers believed to be strong enough to handle the big NTs

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-18-2008, 12:06 PM
I have Dykes projected for the 4th or 5th (if we want him, the 4th), Moore could go in the 2nd or 3rd IMO.

I like that the team appears to be covering all their bases by looking at talent throughout all the rounds.

I like Moore also...but as a converted DE. I would still take him in the third..even as a project.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Pollak 2nd
Sullivan 3rd
Lichetensteiger 4th

All three are projected zone blockers and may not be able to handle the mammoth NT's....Thats why I would like Legursky in the 5th or 6th round.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Pollak 2nd
Sullivan 3rd
Lichetensteiger 4th

Yeah, Pollack might go in the 2nd and you are probably on the right track although some will have Lichtenstiger over Sullivan.

As for being strong enough to handle the big NT's....they couldnt handle 307 lb Sedrick Ellis at the Senior Bowl according to an excerpt from this Scouts inc report. from Jan 22nd.

Centers Mike Pollack and John Sullivan were overwhelmed by Ellis in one-on-ones today and probably will be all week long. In 2008, NFL interior linemen might be overwhelmed by Ellis as well.

That's why I really want to wait until 09 for a center as there are more quality guys in that draft.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-18-2008, 01:19 PM
That is virtually exactly what I think...though lately I have been keeping an eye on Godfrey out of Iowa in the second round...he can play FS or CB..

Keep an eye on him at his Pro day.

Thanks for the tip. Godfrey looks more like a safety, but would be interesting to see his short shuttle times and see if he has the quickness to play CB.

Thats the tough call. A guy like Porter is quick and fast, but not a big tackler in the run game. Godfrey is bigger and more physical, but might not be as quick in the coverage game.

DACEB
03-18-2008, 01:47 PM
That's why I really want to wait until 09 for a center as there are more quality guys in that draft.

I have to agree with you and LLT. I'm not big on drafting a center unless it's the 6th or UDFA.

DACEB
03-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the tip. Godfrey looks more like a safety, but would be interesting to see his short shuttle times and see if he has the quickness to play CB.

Thats the tough call. A guy like Porter is quick and fast, but not a big tackler in the run game. Godfrey is bigger and more physical, but might not be as quick in the coverage game.

I like Porter, but not being able to support in run defense is a major problem. The corners in our scheme are counted on for run support, to me that eliminates alot of guys.

Godfrey and Morgan are similar at safety, and might be somewhat projects. We do'nt have many picks for the boom or bust type. Although I do like Morgan.

I like Cason for our defensive scheme, and that he also returns. He would probably be the only guy I would take in the 2nd, and he could very well be gone by then.

I like DeCoud for FS, and he will most likely be there in the 3rd. The guy is a solid safety that has experience at CB, and he is a STs demon.
How about Molden CB in the 4th? He's raw but his KEI is great.

Galax Steeler
03-18-2008, 02:44 PM
I like Porter, but not being able to support in run defense is a major problem. The corners in our scheme are counted on for run support, to me that eliminates alot of guys.

Godfrey and Morgan are similar at safety, and might be somewhat projects. We do'nt have many picks for the boom or bust type. Although I do like Morgan.

I like Cason for our defensive scheme, and that he also returns. He would probably be the only guy I would take in the 2nd, and he could very well be gone by then.

I like DeCoud for FS, and he will most likely be there in the 3rd. The guy is a solid safety that has experience at CB, and he is a STs demon.
How about Molden CB in the 4th? He's raw but his KEI is great.

Out of godfrey and morgan which do you like the best I'm a thinking morgan.

BettisFan
03-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Is there any possiblitiy that we dont draft a lineman with pick 1? (not that i want that)

19ward86
03-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Starks to play left guard?!?!?!?!?!?

Texasteel
03-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Is there any possiblitiy that we dont draft a lineman with pick 1? (not that i want that)

If all the top OTs are gone, and Albert is gone I think we will look at WR, or CB, or try to trade out of the 1st round.

My top choice would be the trade.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-18-2008, 05:19 PM
All three are projected zone blockers and may not be able to handle the mammoth NT's....Thats why I would like Legursky in the 5th or 6th round.

Legursky is my favorite center in this draft....He has the strength and the stones to handle NTs across the NFL...I don't think Legursky will ever be a Pro Bowl level type player.....But I think he will be a solid center at the NFL level....Mahan clearly isn't the answer and that only leaves Stapleton....The Steelers brass is high on Stapleton but really would hate to just go into training camp with just Mahan and Stapleton....I don't expect Simmons to move to center also....

So I hope Legursky in drafted...

lilyoder6
03-18-2008, 05:22 PM
i think they would see if there is a good de/olb or dt there in the 1st since we need help on the d-line as well.. and if we trade out we better get some good things in return..

Texasteel
03-18-2008, 05:43 PM
i think they would see if there is a good de/olb or dt there in the 1st since we need help on the d-line as well.. and if we trade out we better get some good things in return..

I agree that the trade would have to be a early 2nd, and an early 3rd.
With that we might be able to get Trevor Law, and a Chilo Rachal. in the 2nd round.
I am hoping that Joe Flacco keeps moving up the list and one of the early teams that didn't take a QB with there 1st pick falls in love with him.
Don't get me wrong, my 1st choice would be to get an O-Lineman that is worth 23, but I would not want them to reach for one.

OneForTheToe
03-18-2008, 06:41 PM
If all the top OTs are gone, and Albert is gone I think we will look at WR, or CB, or try to trade out of the 1st round.

We need O'line help most as we all know. However, I don't want to see us reach for an O'line player if we don't like what is left. I'm happy with BPA (except at QB or TE) if that is what is called for. Since we don't play in the over priced world of FA much, or over pay to keep our own older FA, a stream of young players at every position is needed. I wouldn't want to see us overreach at an offensive line now, only to have the problems we are having today at O'line become the problems at other positions over the next few years because we didn't bring in enough young blood.

Of course if we sign Starks it will even be easier to BPA.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-18-2008, 08:02 PM

Take the best D-lineman available and look at Carl Nicks or Heath Benedict in round 2, then a cb.

BettisFan
03-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Now we should fo sho go for a defensive player we got a center!

Texasteel
03-18-2008, 09:04 PM
The only D-Lineman that may be there at 23 is Balmer, and I really thing he would be a much better fit in a 4-3. The rest would be rated 2nd or 3rd rounders, Carlton Powell, who the Steeler have shown intrest in would probably be a 4th round pick. The same can be said for OLB.
I just think that at 23 the value will probably be at WR, or CB.
The one name I left out is Quentin Groves, the DE that would have to convert to OLB. He could be there at 23, is probably worth a 23rd pick, and very well could end up a Steeler.

BettisFan
03-18-2008, 09:13 PM
I would be fine with Groves here he could fit in well

DACEB
03-19-2008, 06:08 AM
I would have no problem whatsoever with Groves. Groves on one side and Woodley on the other, WOW. That would also allow the team to move Harrison inside after a year.

ROLB Groves
RILB Timmons
LILB Harrison
LOLB Woodley

Texasteel
03-19-2008, 03:07 PM
I would have no problem whatsoever with Groves. Groves on one side and Woodley on the other, WOW. That would also allow the team to move Harrison inside after a year.

ROLB Groves
RILB Timmons
LILB Harrison
LOLB Woodley

If Timmons becomes what the Steelers think he can, we would be set at LB for a long time.
But then I think we still need a OL in the 2nd round maybe. What do you think of Rachal? He could the 2nd best OG in the draft.

DACEB
03-20-2008, 06:19 AM
If Timmons becomes what the Steelers think he can, we would be set at LB for a long time..

For a team that runs the 3-4, we're never set at LB. Just like O-line, you need to keep bringing in new blood. Besides, Farrior is probably gone after this season and Harrison is 30.

But then I think we still need a OL in the 2nd round maybe. What do you think of Rachal? He could the 2nd best OG in the draft.

IMO the team doesn't need any more guards, we need tackles. Kemo, Simmons, Colon, Mahan are all interior linemen. The team would be best served to move Colon inside and replace him at RT.

The 2nd round is looking like DB.

Texasteel
03-20-2008, 03:02 PM
You and I will just have to disagree on the line. I see Kemo as an unknown factor, and Mahan as a spare part at best. Colon may do great inside, but he is still replacing the best lineman on a line that gave up, what was it, 45 sacks.
At the start I was hoping for Chris Williams, but thats not going to happen. I may be over reacting but I would still like a OG, and a OT, and look for a LT next year.

drew102e
03-24-2008, 01:02 PM

but we will be drafting 32nd so that doesnt bode well :)

lilyoder6
03-24-2008, 01:51 PM
either way i think we have a good pick to where we will either get a very talented lineman, cb or wr..