PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign Essex, Kemoeatu

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Steelers | Team re-signs Essex
Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:36:01 -0700

The Pittsburgh Steelers announced Tuesday, March 18, that the team re-signed free-agent OT Trai Essex to a one-year deal. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steelers | Team re-signs Kemoeatu
Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:35:19 -0700

The Pittsburgh Steelers announced Tuesday, March 18, that the team re-signed free-agent OG Chris Kemoeatu to a one-year deal. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

http://www.kffl.com/team/30/nfl

tony hipchest
03-18-2008, 03:56 PM
well, so much for the idea of kicking every lineman to the curb and starting from scratch. :dang:

TackleMeBen
03-18-2008, 03:57 PM
well, so much for the idea of kicking every lineman to the curb and starting from scratch. :dang:
man we are in trouble now.... good thing our qb has some padding in the rear, b/c that is where he will be all season :flap:

rbryan
03-18-2008, 04:05 PM
I heard they have a tuitor working with Kemoeatu so he can finally understand the playbook.

Essex is a servicable back up that still has the potential to be a starter. I'm guessing they didn't break the bank for either one.

BettisFan
03-18-2008, 04:20 PM
we need new line man jeez!

Dylan
03-18-2008, 04:32 PM
hopefully this will free up a little cap space now.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-18-2008, 04:33 PM
No big deal, they signed their one year tenders and will get a chance to compete in camp. Essex has proven he can backup and I dont know if him being a full time starter is in the cards.

I still like Kemo and think he really hasnt had much of a chance playing behind the best G in the league and Simmons who signed an extension last season.

This is still the Kemo I want to see get some playing time.

BIO: Three-year starter and an All-Conference selection as a senior. Consistently grades out as one of Utah's better linemen.

POSITIVES: Nasty blocker with outstanding size. Displays power and jolt at the point of attack, turns defenders from the line or easily removes pass rushers out of their angle of attack. Good blocking vision, effectively uses angles and quick if asked to kick out or pull across the line of scrimmage. Gets movement from run blocks, mashes opponents or engulfs them at the point of attack. Plays with a nasty attitude and works to destroy defenders. Extends his hands to keep opponents away and anchors in pass protection.

NEGATIVES: Gets tall and not a knee bender or leverage blocker. Lacks fluid footwork in space and not effective blocking in motion.

ANALYSIS: A king-sized blocker with surprising athleticism and overall skill, Kemoeatu has the abilities to be an immediate and productive starter at the next level. Could stand to shed a few pounds, which would improve his agility and skills on the move. A prospect who could soar up draft boards with good pre-April interviews.

PROJECTION: Late Third Round

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2005/draft/players/63757.html

BlastFurnace
03-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Let's face it, Hartwig is not coming here...I want to see Kemo play at LG and see what he can do for a season. Let's give the guy a chance.

tony hipchest
03-18-2008, 05:02 PM
I heard they have a tuitor working with Kemoeatu so he can finally understand the playbook.

. is there an actual link or source to him being a retard or is it just wild speculation from overly critical fans?

im thinking just because he cant beat out faneca for a starting job, doens mean hes ready for the scrapheap.

TackleMeBen
03-18-2008, 05:03 PM
so we are stuck with mahan at center still.. god help us now..lol

BettisFan
03-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Here comes the most sacked qb in the nfl !! AGAIN! Big Ben!

rbryan
03-18-2008, 05:07 PM
is there an actual link or source to him being a retard or is it just wild speculation from overly critical fans?

im thinking just because he cant beat out faneca for a starting job, doens mean hes ready for the scrapheap.

I'm just making shit up again, you would think they would have given him a tuitor a long time ago. I still like Kemo, if for no the reason, the spelling of his name. Kemo eat u.

19ward86
03-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Great signs, without them we have 6 lineman i think. that is pitiful.

19ward86
03-18-2008, 05:12 PM
:computer:Great signs, without them we have 6 lineman i think. that is pitiful.:computer:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-18-2008, 05:19 PM
. Kemo eat u.

Great handle eh??:sofunny:

Now I'll never forget how to spell that cannibals name!

BettisFan
03-18-2008, 05:24 PM
This is not good we need a line!

Dino 6 Rings
03-18-2008, 05:28 PM
This is just fine for the 08 year, you can't sign an entirely new 5 man front in the same season. You need to have depth and guys that already know the plays, and then draft young solid talent and build from within.

To think we can just sign a brand new o-line in one off season is just...brain damaged thinking.

this is just fine with me. As long as Stapelton, or even that Kid out of Virginia who is high on our board, can play Center, I'll be happy, that frees up Mahan to play or backup at guard. Its good, we've got guys that know the play book, and aren't going to cost us long term money or long term deals.

tony hipchest
03-18-2008, 05:28 PM
This is not good we need a line!

:huh:

TackleMeBen
03-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Here comes the most sacked qb in the nfl !! AGAIN! Big Ben!
:iagree:

BettisFan
03-18-2008, 05:42 PM
:iagree:

Well if we dont add any good O-linemen how can we expect it to change its dum:banging:

The Duke
03-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Well if we dont add any good oline man how can we expect it to change its dum:banging:

maybe you should tell the steelers how to run the team :coffee:

I love the signing, whether he's a backup or starter I wish kemoeatu good luck. I still have high hopes he'll be the starter

BettisFan
03-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Well i atleast understand that if something doesnt work fix it, as Albert Einstein said " The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and expect different results" Which is what the steelers are doing, its "insane" to expect the line to work if we dont add new and better guys to it.

Elvis
03-18-2008, 05:53 PM
I like the signings just for the fact the steelers had to do this and get these guys signed. If they play well this upcoming season, the steelers are gonna have alot of signing to do next offseason.
:cheers:

BlastFurnace
03-18-2008, 06:06 PM
What it boils down to this season is that Ben's extension needed to be completed.

We didn't have a lot of room to work with in regards to our cap space, so the Steelers did what they could with keeping their own guys. Hadnot, didn't cost much for the Browns, but obviously did nothing to impress the Steelers to make him an offer. Hartwig has Rosenhaus as his agent and is shopping himself to the highest bidder. You have seen what other O'lineman are getting on the open market and the Steelers just couldn't go that high.

We had a thread about this before, but maybe Stapleton has done more to impress the Steelers than we realize. If so, Mahan competes with Kemo at Guard.

They have done with they could this offseason. Hopefully, the draft will atleast bring in 2 O'lineman in the 1st 4 rounds of the draft. I predict they will go DL in the 1st, O'line in the 2nd and 3rd, and DL again in the 4th. The Steelers need to really hit on their first 4 picks this season though. We can't afford to have another draft where the 4th pick forward becomes an afterthought.

The goal this offseason was an influx of young, affordable talent. This offseason didn't offer a whole lot of that...except with our own players. Who knows, if Kemo really plays well this season, we have our Guard of the future and he's already ours.

As far as Starks goes, since no-one has been signed by the Steelers to play O'line this offseason, I have to believe that the Steelers are working on a 4-5 year deal with Starks to lock him up.

lilyoder6
03-18-2008, 06:10 PM
it was a good move.. we made shor we had some depth at o-line this upcoming yr.. and they can draft 2-3 o-lineman in the draft and start grooming them.. smart move i think

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-18-2008, 06:16 PM
:huh:

:sofunny:-
:sofunny:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-18-2008, 06:21 PM
This is just fine for the 08 year, you can't sign an entirely new 5 man front in the same season.

To think we can just sign a brand new o-line in one off season is just...brain damaged thinking.

:hug:

Finally......somebody talking sense about O line play!!!

BettisFan
03-18-2008, 06:22 PM
it was a good move.. we made shor we had some depth at o-line this upcoming yr.. and they can draft 2-3 o-lineman in the draft and start grooming them.. smart move i think
We cant rely that rooks! I mean chances are mabey 1 or none of them will turn out to be great nfl players we need proven guys!

Galax Steeler
03-19-2008, 04:38 AM
I think it is a good move to sign these guys we will probably get some offensive lineman in the draft it is just adding depth to the line.

Rotorhead
03-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Look, if you recall, the Oline coach was different last season as well as the HC and OC . . . If you dont think that changes blocking schemes and total offensive philosophy, not to mention injuries and Mahan playing in a totally new position you are kidding yourself. I feel maybe we pick up a Center, move Mahan to guard and barring a bunch of Oline injuries our sack total will significantly drop.

BettisFan
03-19-2008, 12:58 PM
As long as we dont spend our first pick on a lineman i am ok

DACEB
03-19-2008, 01:33 PM
I remember last year we lost a guy (actually cut him) and the world was going to end. Well it didn't end, matter of fact the next guy came in and played even better.

It's funny how the 'next guy' to replace Faneca (who was slipping by most all accounts) has to play as good or better than Faneca did three years ago. The team has an abundance of interior linemen, we shouldn't worry about the guard position. The tackle position is in need, and Essex helps provide atleast depth.

Dino 6 Rings
03-19-2008, 05:30 PM
I agree, things will work themselves out and once again we'll be in the playoffs and fighting for the glory of a sixth ring.

lilyoder6
03-19-2008, 08:43 PM
thats the main reason is to have depth at this point.. i think come draft day will be interesting to see where pitt goes with.. the tackle pos is a need with smith getting old with back problems.. colon doing decent and maybe starks at lt...

12+88=6
03-19-2008, 10:38 PM
not sure if it's been said, but here are the costs to keep these guys for the 2008 season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-steelers-sign&prov=ap&type=lgns

Galax Steeler
03-20-2008, 04:33 AM
I agree, things will work themselves out and once again we'll be in the playoffs and fighting for the glory of a sixth ring.

I would love to be the only team to have 6 that would be great.:tt02:

Kittyfish
03-20-2008, 09:06 AM
I would love to be the only team to have 6 that would be great.:tt02: Heh. Ever since we got our 5th ring, I root against the 49ers and the Cowboys (<--- I know that goes without saying, but even moreso than usual - I find great pleasure in watching Romo lose those playoff games. I'm evil, I know) because I can't bear the thought of either of them getting their sixth ring before we do. It was bad enough that it took us so long to get that one for the thumb. At least we were the first to get the third and fourth rings down. Hopefully we'll be the first to get "one for the toe". When we do get that sixth ring, the others have my permission to catch up. I just want the Steelers to be the first!

Generally I don't much care who wins the SB if we're not in it (again, as long as it's not the 49ers or CBs - I know I probably should but I don't know enough about the intricacies of the league) but starting this past season, I find myself rooting VERY actively against the Pats. (Gee - wonder why?) This past SB was sa-weeet! And it only gave the Giants, what, their third ring? No problem there...

DACEB
03-20-2008, 10:06 AM
This is still the Kemo I want to see get some playing time.

BIO: Three-year starter and an All-Conference selection as a senior. Consistently grades out as one of Utah's better linemen.

POSITIVES: Nasty blocker with outstanding size. Displays power and jolt at the point of attack, turns defenders from the line or easily removes pass rushers out of their angle of attack. Good blocking vision, effectively uses angles and quick if asked to kick out or pull across the line of scrimmage. Gets movement from run blocks, mashes opponents or engulfs them at the point of attack. Plays with a nasty attitude and works to destroy defenders. Extends his hands to keep opponents away and anchors in pass protection.

NEGATIVES: Gets tall and not a knee bender or leverage blocker. Lacks fluid footwork in space and not effective blocking in motion.

ANALYSIS: A king-sized blocker with surprising athleticism and overall skill, Kemoeatu has the abilities to be an immediate and productive starter at the next level. Could stand to shed a few pounds, which would improve his agility and skills on the move. A prospect who could soar up draft boards with good pre-April interviews.

PROJECTION: Late Third Round

Hey, this guy sounds great! We should definetly take him in the 3rd!!

Now, I'm only joking but that is the mentality of many on this board. Some would love to dump everyone we have for a chance on some kid in the draft, based on what some so called scout has written. Now I'm not saying that we not draft O-line, what I'm saying is there's no guarantee whomever we draft will be better.

Kemo or whoever starts at LG might not be the next Faneca, but give the guy a chance. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if we get better play from the center position and move Starks back to tackle and put the best two guards inside (between Simmons, Kemo, Mahan and Colon), that our line will perform much better. And that's with only changing the center.

Haiku_Dirtt
03-20-2008, 02:13 PM

WTF. I thought we all made this very very clear to the Rooney's. What part of this memo did the Steeler's org. not get?

If we can't have a brand new line then we don't want one at all. Period.

Alex Smith had so much praise for Kemoeatu when we drafted him...masher, mean-streak, road grading madman. I guess they don't make roads at Utah the same way.

fansince'76
03-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Alex Smith had so much praise for Kemoeatu when we drafted him...masher, mean-streak, road grading madman. I guess they don't make roads at Utah the same way.

Or the Utes employ blocking schemes that a guy with an IQ roughly equivalent to his shoe size can understand.

DACEB
03-21-2008, 07:01 AM
Or the Utes employ blocking schemes that a guy with an IQ roughly equivalent to his shoe size can understand.

O.K., see the guy in front of you, don't let him kill #7. Good boy!

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-21-2008, 07:54 AM
O.K., see the guy in front of you, don't let him kill #7. Good boy!

:sofunny: