PDA

View Full Version : Draft O-Line? Do The Math...

RJC
03-19-2008, 08:31 AM
Thoughts? Yeah, I have a few. It's been a while since I've taken any basic arithmetic classes, but by my count we have 8 current O-Lineman under contract that barring any surprise cuts are sure to make the team with Smith, Kemoeatu, Hartwig, Simmons, Colon, Mahan, Essex, and the impending signing of Starks. Yup, I'm no mathematician, but by my count that's 8. I just don't see the room for any more. Unless there's a surprise release. Simmons, Mahan, or possibly even Smith? Regardless, I doubt highly they're targeting OL in this draft contrary to what the public believes. Jonathan Stewart? James Hardy? A dark horse player? Things are beginning to get interesting...:helmet:

rbryan
03-19-2008, 08:51 AM
There will still be at least two OL drafted. Starks is more than likely gone before TC and Smith is gone next year. IMO, there will be 2 more OL presently on the roster cut by next year. This Oline needs an overhaul and it starts now. You can always keep 1 or 2 New OL on the Practice squad as well.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-19-2008, 08:57 AM
You forgot Stapleton.

The past few years the number seems to have been 9, so I think one O linemen is drafted to play at T and that still leaves one man out.

No need having 3 centers, so Hartwig is in. Either Stapleton or Mahan is gone, Capizzi might make the PS... IMO.

DACEB
03-19-2008, 09:30 AM
There will still be at least two OL drafted.

At least two drafted?? Not just two, at least two? I don't think that's the case anylonger, with the signing of Hartwig that number is down to one, most likely tackle. With the exception of Albert, who could be projected at both OG and OT.

You can always keep 1 or 2 New OL on the Practice squad as well.

You're not going to draft someone just to put them on the practice squad. The players on the practice squad are completely unprotected, any team can sign them off the PS.

Now if someone is cut that's a different story. I don't like the idea of cutting a player (except Mahan) because the team doesn't get anything in return.

DACEB
03-19-2008, 09:34 AM
Thoughts? Yeah, I have a few. It's been a while since I've taken any basic arithmetic classes, but by my count we have 8 current O-Lineman under contract that barring any surprise cuts are sure to make the team with Smith, Kemoeatu, Hartwig, Simmons, Colon, Mahan, Essex, and the impending signing of Starks. Yup, I'm no mathematician, but by my count that's 8. I just don't see the room for any more. Unless there's a surprise release. Simmons, Mahan, or possibly even Smith? Regardless, I doubt highly they're targeting OL in this draft contrary to what the public believes. Jonathan Stewart? James Hardy? A dark horse player? Things are beginning to get interesting...:helmet:

You bring up a great point that many fail to recognize (simple math), the question mark at this time is Starks.

At one point I thought there were whispers about the team letting Simmons go because of his diabetes. That type of release, I believe, allows the team compensation.

Dylan
03-19-2008, 10:14 AM
we might have a lot now, but smith will be gone, starks might, we have to look into the future so it doesnt come back to haunt us.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-19-2008, 01:18 PM
You forgot Matt Lentz........

Lentz....Capizzi...Kemo...and Essex are all expendable and easily cut.

Kemo is a bubble player, maybe this is the year that he can get it together and produce....maybe not. Starks is also not a sure thing.

I dont think its a stretch of the imagination to think that we could draft a couple of players with more potential than we currently have on the roster.

BettisFan
03-19-2008, 01:21 PM
So lets not get an Olineman lets go defense

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-19-2008, 01:26 PM
So lets not get an Olineman lets go defense

Easily done....Kenny Phillips could be there at #23...the problem is that we ARE going to need a OT in the next couple of years...possibly NEXT year...and the quality of LT's drops pretty sharp from round 1 to round 2. Quality RT's can be drafted in the second..but not LT's.

BettisFan
03-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Well lets go defense first , RT second

OneForTheToe
03-19-2008, 01:41 PM
You bring up a great point that many fail to recognize (simple math), the question mark at this time is Starks.

At one point I thought there were whispers about the team letting Simmons go because of his diabetes. That type of release, I believe, allows the team compensation.

When did I miss that? Last I checked they had just extended Simmons?s contract. I remember that last year because Faneca stated at the time how happy he was for Simmons (bffs, I guess).

I agree we only have room or a couple of o'linemen. I would not be surprised to still see us draft two. After all, it is not unusual to draft two linemen in years when the o'line is set. It is a question of when we draft o?linemen now. I see one first day o'linmen now at the most and another on the second day only if it is a BPA pick. If not, there is always the RFA's.

DACEB
03-19-2008, 02:56 PM
When did I miss that? Last I checked they had just extended Simmons?s contract. I remember that last year because Faneca stated at the time how happy he was for Simmons (bffs, I guess).

They did give Simmons a contract last year, and he's not playing up to it. What I'm talking about is somewhat of a backdoor out of the contract due to his diabetes, saying he has health issues that effect his play.

Texasteel
03-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Before we go picking OTs this year we might keep in mind that there are about 5 OTs that will be in next years draft that some say will be very good LT. Oher, Unger, Boone, Loadholt, and Gardner, besides Oher, who we will not even get close to, I think I am going to keep an eye on Gardner.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-19-2008, 10:50 PM
Yeah, but it normally takes a year or 2 of playing RT before they switch a drafted player over to LT.

Long, Williams, Otah, Albert, Clady are the only real top prospects that may be able to play LT in this draft. I say if 1 of them are there... we draft them as a future LT.

Godfather
03-19-2008, 11:05 PM
Oher, Unger, Boone, Loadholt, and Gardner, besides Oher, who we will not even get close to, I think I am going to keep an eye on Gardner.

Oher, Unger. Unger, Oher.

BettisFan
03-20-2008, 12:00 AM
Oher, Unger. Unger, Oher.

haha sounds german

Texasteel
03-20-2008, 06:31 AM
haha sounds german

Nothing like a big german to protect our $100000000 QB.