PDA

View Full Version : Justin King

Dylan
03-19-2008, 01:26 PM
UNIVERSITY PARK - Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and director of football operations Kevin Colbert were at Penn State's pro day Tuesday, further fueling speculation that the team has a strong interest in cornerback Justin King.
"He worked out very well," was the most Colbert would say about King. But it was more than would be offered by Tomlin, who declined comment.

King, who declared for the NFL Draft after completing his junior season, was asked to assess the meaning of the strong Steelers presence. No other pro head coach was present.

"I don't know. You've got to ask them," King said.

Informed that Tomlin and Colbert weren't saying much, King smiled and said, "OK."
The most King would elaborate was to say, "I met with those guys, Coach Tomlin. Great meeting. And just go from there."

King's agent, Eric Metz, hopes the presence of the high-ranking Steelers was significant.

"I'd like to think so, being that we're (he and King) both Pittsburgh guys," Metz said. "He looked pretty good in black and gold in high school, so, you never know. Maybe lightning strikes twice."

The Arizona-based Metz graduated in 1979 from Gateway High School, where King played and Justin's stepfather, Terry Smith, is the football coach and athletic director.

King, who had been criticized for his play for the Lions in 2007, even though he was a first-team All-Big Ten selection by the coaches and media, has been projected as a late first-round or early second-round pick after tearing through a 4.31-second 40-yard timing at last month's NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis, the fastest for a defensive player.

"You hear a lot of (No.) 25 to 35 stuff, but teams haven't even finished their boards yet, so there's a ways to go," said Metz, who had the No. 1 overall pick, JaMarcus Russell, last season and numbers Steelers offensive lineman Kendall Simmons among his clients.

Metz said the Steelers, picking 23rd in the first round, and the San Diego Chargers, No. 27, are two teams seemingly most interested in King.

King didn't run a 40 yesterday but did participate in other drills.

"He wanted to re-test a couple of things," Metz said, adding, "When you get a head coach in here like Coach Tomlin and a general manager like Kevin Colbert right here, you want to show that you're an anytime, anywhere kind of guy."

Quarterback Anthony Morelli and linebacker Dan Connor also were among the 11 players going through the workouts at Penn State.

Connor hadn't worked out at the combine because of illness. He reported he ran 40s in the 4.6 range yesterday.

Asked to evaluate his overall workout, Connor asked, "One to 10? Like a 13."

Connor has been projected as possibly going in the second half of the first round, or early in the second.

Morelli, despite putting up record career numbers at Penn State, is trying to battle his way into the later rounds of the draft. He expects to accomplish that goal.

"All the coaches in there were talking about, 'You have all the tools. We're just going to get you in camp and work with you. The sky's the limit,' " Morelli said.

Morelli reported that he improved his 40-yard time to 4.9 and made improvements in other drills.

The speculation that he could go undrafted doesn't bother Morelli.

"You can't listen to all the experts. They're wrong every year," he said. "It's just whatever the coach needs at that certain time -- the best player available -- he's going to take that guy. Hopefully, someone needs a quarterback and I'm there when they want to pick one."

Colbert was certain Morelli would get chance to go to a pro camp, either as a draft pick or free agent, because of his outstanding arm and size.

"Absolutely. Plus, he was a productive guy at this level," Colbert said. "Everybody usually carries three and you've got to take four to camp, usually."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_557915.html

BettisFan
03-19-2008, 01:43 PM
That would be tight what are the chances?

Dylan
03-19-2008, 03:17 PM
That would be tight what are the chances?

seeing that we just signed hartwig makes it seem more realistic, but who knows

BettisFan
03-19-2008, 03:21 PM
well yea but how long will he be available , i mean i say we go defense now but king wouldnt be our first choice.

Dylan
03-19-2008, 03:30 PM
well yea but how long will he be available , i mean i say we go defense now but king wouldnt be our first choice.

mel kiper has king projected to go to the chargers with pick 27. so we could get him. ran a 4.31 also, fastest among the d-backs

BettisFan
03-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Wow i diddnt know his 40 time, i say we take him

Dylan
03-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Wow i diddnt know his 40 time, i say we take him

you just cant take a guy though based on his forty time

BettisFan
03-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Ok well that made me think of him higher he is highly ranked and should be available i think we should snag him

jjpro11
03-19-2008, 04:13 PM
im kinda tired of taking DBs in the first couple rounds year after year.. but king was a legit shut down corner at penn state. i dont see any reason why he cant translate that to the pros either. i want to get a stud tackle.. but if we arent confident in whoever is left in the draft, then i wouldnt mind taking someone like king.

polamalu82
03-19-2008, 06:23 PM
I'm a Penn State fan. I always liked Justin King. He always reminded me a lot of Ike Taylor......though a D-lineman might be a better 1st round choice...but hey its the draft so you never know.

lilyoder6
03-19-2008, 07:25 PM
well b4 the moore signing i would be like double hell yeah.. b/c he can play corner and return guy.. now with the signing i am like hell yeah (i'm a psu fan too) he can play corner and can compete with moore to be a return guy

BettisFan
03-19-2008, 07:28 PM
dude moore is fast as hell and is a great replacement for rossum

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-19-2008, 09:46 PM
I posted elsewhere I would like to see:

#1 Brandon Albert or Otah
#2 King or Porter (CB)
#3 Kendall Langford

This could still be a possiblity.

Give It To Abercrombie
03-20-2008, 07:45 AM

#2 King or Porter (CB)
#3 Kendall Langford

Add Owen Schmitt in the 4th and I'd be thrilled with that haul.

Lord Stiller
03-20-2008, 07:59 AM
If we draft King, it would be to play corner not return kicks

lilyoder6
03-20-2008, 09:42 AM
u never know.. he could play wr.. he did that sometimes at psu 4 the fun of it

BettisFan
03-20-2008, 10:53 AM

#2 King or Porter (CB)
#3 Kendall Langford

Exactly first mock steeler draft that i like, :cheers:

Dylan
03-20-2008, 12:27 PM
u never know.. he could play wr.. he did that sometimes at psu 4 the fun of it

that was only during his freshman year, after that he was totally converted into a CB

Jeremy
03-20-2008, 12:47 PM
im kinda tired of taking DBs in the first couple rounds year after year.. but king was a legit shut down corner at penn state. i dont see any reason why he cant translate that to the pros either. i want to get a stud tackle.. but if we arent confident in whoever is left in the draft, then i wouldnt mind taking someone like king.

King is going to be better in a zone scheme than he will be in a man to man scheme. I still like a couple of corners over him.

Dylan
03-20-2008, 08:54 PM
King is going to be better in a zone scheme than he will be in a man to man scheme. I still like a couple of corners over him.

in college he was supposed to be one of the best in man to man coverage. he was good his sophmore year, his junior year though was a different story

Galax Steeler
03-21-2008, 03:57 AM
If he is that good and runs the 40 like they say he did I say take him.

steelymcmatt
03-21-2008, 04:39 AM

#2 King or Porter (CB)
#3 Kendall Langford

I'm a HUGE Lions fan, so I'd love to see us take King in the 2nd, but everything I've seen projects him in the 25-35 range, so he'll be long gone before he gets to us. We'd have to take him in the 1st which may be a little bit of a stretch (although not much of one, I'll give you that).:coffee:

Steel Buckeye
03-23-2008, 10:35 AM
King is overrated. I remember him constantly getting beat by James Hardy and Ohio State's receivers. He is a good returner, but as a corner IMO he sucks.

Elvis
03-23-2008, 01:14 PM
If there is not a top 2 corner left for the steelers at 23rd, I dont want them to reach here and get a no.3 or 4 corner myself when there is probably a top tier DE or NT left there or my favorite pick either OT Williams or OG Albert with the signing of Hartwig and a drafting of one of these 2 talents the steelers are set for a few years in my opinion.

Dylan
03-23-2008, 07:49 PM
King is overrated. I remember him constantly getting beat by James Hardy and Ohio State's receivers. He is a good returner, but as a corner IMO he sucks.

yea king played horrible against hardy, he had a rough season... but you cant say he sucks by looking at only 1 season

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-23-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm a HUGE Lions fan, so I'd love to see us take King in the 2nd, but everything I've seen projects him in the 25-35 range, so he'll be long gone before he gets to us. We'd have to take him in the 1st which may be a little bit of a stretch (although not much of one, I'll give you that).:coffee:

Yeah, what do most of the pundits have him as??? The 7th or 8th best CB prospect??? McFaddens year there was a run on CB and I think he was the 11th off the board in the 2nd round so this might happen. but everybody says there is such depth at DE, DT and OT, so I think the top 8th corner should be there by the 2nd round.....he or Tracy Porter might still be there.

19ward86
03-23-2008, 10:27 PM
If we can draft Branden Albert, Justin King, and Frank Okam in the same draft i think we can say we had a big offseason this year.

Galax Steeler
03-24-2008, 07:08 AM
If albert is gone in the first when we pick why not take a chance on talib from kansas.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-24-2008, 09:44 AM
If we can draft Branden Albert, Justin King, and Frank Okam in the same draft i think we can say we had a big offseason this year.

Frank Okam looked like he ate his way to UFA status at the combine. Any word on if he hit the Gym before his pro day ??? Or did he go straight to Krispy Kreme??

BTW, I would rather see a DE instead of a NT drafted.

Lord Stiller
03-24-2008, 10:09 AM
BTW, I would rather see a DE instead of a NT drafted.

most definitely. We already have a good backup NT in Hoke

We need a DE to compete with Keisel and for good depth

lilyoder6
03-24-2008, 10:12 AM
b4 the pro-day and combine i saw him getting drafted during mid draft.. now i see him goin to the chargers.. i thjink if we would get albert and king we would be fine.. also to get a very good de that could provide depth.. this could be a good draft..

millwalldavey
03-24-2008, 06:25 PM
I'd like him if he could last until the round 2 pick... I'd really like the OL with the first pick.

Steel Buckeye
03-30-2008, 01:38 AM
I would rather take Talib or Antoine Cason. Justin King is overrated, he has sucked everytime I have seen him play at starting CB and is worth no more than a fourth round pick, and thats as a return man.