PDA

View Full Version : Coaches you respect

Dylan
03-19-2008, 11:38 PM
Besides Tomlin, what current NFL coach do you respect. mine would have to be tony dungy, the man doesnt make football his main priority in life which today most players and coaches do.

You Guys?

BettisFan
03-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Any one that can get to the point to become an NFL coach i respect, In the end i wish to become an NFL or NCAA coach. Its such an honorable position that it has to be respected, but if i had to pick one coach it would be Mike Shanahan, he has done so much.

klick81
03-19-2008, 11:52 PM
tony dungy, the man doesnt make football his main priority in life which today most players and coaches do.

How do you know he doesn't?

The Duke
03-20-2008, 01:29 AM
so far tomlin has my respect. other than him the tops are Dungy and Rod Marinelli

oh, and belichick of course :chuckle:

TheWarDen86
03-20-2008, 02:02 AM
John Fox.

BettisFan
03-20-2008, 02:08 AM
John Fox.

for what reasons? (just curious)

TheWarDen86
03-20-2008, 02:53 AM
for what reasons? (just curious)

I live in Jersey. Seen a ton of Giants games. He was a great D Coordinator and he got the Panthers to the SB (and may have won if not for spygate) 2 years later. I've met him. I think he's a smart guy.

HometownGal
03-20-2008, 06:54 AM
Tony Dungy
Mike McCarthy
Jack DelRio
Andy Reid
Lovie Smith

All are excellent coaches, imho, and are very well respected by their players.

Honorable mention would go to Norv Turner. After the Chargers' miserable start last season, I thought replacing Marty was a huge mistake, but Norv stuck it out, got his team together and won the AFC West in a landslide. He's earned my respect.

revefsreleets
03-20-2008, 09:00 AM
Marvin Lewis. That guy runs a really tight ship and a very clean program...

Aha...
Ahahahahaha...
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

stlrtruck
03-20-2008, 09:26 AM
How do you know he doesn't?

Read his book. He explains it all. But to be brief about it, he learned while playing for the Steelers to put Christ first in his life. His book was very revealing about the life of an NFL player in the 70's and 80's. It also showed some things about Noll that I didn't know - believe it or not, the man was not so hard as nails as some videos portray him.

As for the coaches I respect

Tomlin (of course)
Dungy
Edwards
Fisher
Del Rio

tony hipchest
03-20-2008, 10:03 AM
i would run into a brick wall for jon gruden and have a beer with him after the game.

did you know he was called "piss boy" as he climbed the ranks in the 49ers organization because he was nothing more than a young gopher scrub? dude's put in work and has that ultimate fire.

dom capers
dick lebeau
ken wisenhunt
tony dungy

as far as respect goes, nothing bad can be said about these men... other than the fact that capers is now a patriot (which is 1 hell of a coup).

my respect for cowher will probably never wane.

Lord Stiller
03-20-2008, 10:23 AM
Tony Dungy
Shanahan

Dylan
03-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Read his book. He explains it all. But to be brief about it, he learned while playing for the Steelers to put Christ first in his life. His book was very revealing about the life of an NFL player in the 70's and 80's. It also showed some things about Noll that I didn't know - believe it or not, the man was not so hard as nails as some videos portray him.

As for the coaches I respect

Tomlin (of course)
Dungy
Edwards
Fisher
Del Rio

exactly his book explains it all. it was a very good book.

polamalu82
03-20-2008, 01:37 PM
Tony Dungy
Lovie Smith
Mike Holmgren
Herm Edwards
Don Shula (retired I know but still the coach of the only undefeated team)
Mike Martz
Mike Nolan

xXTheSteelKingsXx
03-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Dungy
Del Rio
Lovie Smith

Dino 6 Rings
03-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Tom Coughlin

He didn't take Tiki's crap, didn't worry about him not playing on the team. Was a hard core dicipline guy, but then backed off a little, to allow his team to grow and be adults, and what did it get him. A Ring...I respect him.

k7brown
03-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Tony Dungy

PAMillerGrrl83
03-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Tony Dungy, his book is absolutely wonderful.
Tom Coughlin
Lovie Smith

Steeler in Carolina
03-20-2008, 08:54 PM
Jack Del Rio----Seems to be molding Jax after the Steelers.

Jeff Fisher---Seems like a great guy and coach.

Hapa
03-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Belichick (cough sarcastic)

Dino 6 Rings
03-21-2008, 08:52 AM
anyone who puts Fisher on this list obviously forgets when the Titans were in our conference...Fisher is a piece of garbage.

stlrtruck
03-21-2008, 09:21 AM
anyone who puts Fisher on this list obviously forgets when the Titans were in our conference...Fisher is a piece of garbage.

It's all opinion and while you may not like him, I think what he's been able to do with a team that's been in turmoil deserves some credit.

Remember some people think Cowher was a piece of garbage too.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

19ward86
03-21-2008, 10:38 AM
fisher and shanahan

RoethlisBURGHer
03-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Bill Cowher
John Gruden
Andy Reid
Tony Dungy
Herm Edwards
Jack Del Rio
Marty Schottenheimer

Dino 6 Rings
03-21-2008, 04:26 PM
It's all opinion and while you may not like him, I think what he's been able to do with a team that's been in turmoil deserves some credit.

Remember some people think Cowher was a piece of garbage too.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

I would respond by saying, why is the team in Turmoil and how long as it been in turmoil and when was the last time the guy did anything worthy other than come up 1 yard short in a Superbowl? He's over rated as a coach, does just enough each year to keep his job, doesn't build for the long term and just plugs holes every year to keep the team above water. His time should be over.

Elvis
03-23-2008, 06:34 AM
coach Coughlin has got to have the respect in my opinion. I love Tony Dungy as well..
:coffee:

Boomerang
03-23-2008, 06:39 AM
Tony Dungy has my respect,he is smart and astute.

Steel Buckeye
03-26-2008, 10:40 PM
I respect Shanahan, Tony Dungy and Coughlin for winning Super Bowls. I also respect Mike McCarthy for taking an awful team and turning them into a playoff contender. I respect Del Rio but hate it when he plays the Steelers, damn Jags always seem to have our number.

stlrtruck
03-27-2008, 09:06 AM
I would respond by saying, why is the team in Turmoil and how long as it been in turmoil and when was the last time the guy did anything worthy other than come up 1 yard short in a Superbowl? He's over rated as a coach, does just enough each year to keep his job, doesn't build for the long term and just plugs holes every year to keep the team above water. His time should be over.

A coach can only do so much when the owner is holding on to over the hill players, and depending on who is pulling the strings on draft day - that could affect the ability of the team to carry out the coaches game plan.

And while his time with the titans may be over, I still believe that he's done a good job of keeping that team somewhat competitive. Even though they may not have been in the playoffs, I remember watching some of their games against the jags and colts that they were playing lights out.

And to compare here's the titans/steelers victories since the 2002 season:

02 03 04 05 06 07 - TOTAL
11/10 - 12/6 - 5/15 - 4/11 - 8/8 - 10/10 - 50/60

And if you look back on Cowher's tenure, you'll notice even he had down years in back to back seasons.

CanadianSteel
03-27-2008, 10:49 AM
Coaches I respect are

Del Rio - handled player to coach transition well and molded his team in his image
Fisher - always thought he was a good coach and respected his opinions
Dick Juron - Done a nice job (quietly) rebuilding a Bills team after the Donahoe and Mularkey dissaster and did liked him in Chicago, quietly goes about his business

Dungy - roots are with the Steelers, seems smart and well spoken
Lovie Smith - The Jack Del rio of the NFC

Stlrs4Life
03-27-2008, 03:30 PM
I live in Jersey. Seen a ton of Giants games. He was a great D Coordinator and he got the Panthers to the SB (and may have won if not for spygate) 2 years later. I've met him. I think he's a smart guy.

Plus he coached with the Steelers at one time also. My choice would be Dungy, and Capers. And Lebeau. Can't forget him.

Willem Gerber
03-28-2008, 05:07 AM
Tony D =He is one of the, if not the smartest coaches in the NFL.And Im a colt
Gruden=Propably the Coach in the NFL with them most "fire"
Del Rio=Hid remade a poor team into one heck of a footbaal team..
Cowher=<ost respected and the best motivator I have ever seen.
Joe Gibbs= His legacy...shame he retired

Rhee Rhee
04-03-2008, 02:02 PM
shannahan and romeo crenell...

i might go out on a limb here and say before all of the spygate scandal i respected bill belichick the most out of any coach... (i hated him as a person but he was a good coach)

after the spygate he's 32nd out of 32 head coaches..