PDA

View Full Version : Terribly disappointed in Dan Rooney and the Steeler organization today.

StinkyB
03-20-2008, 06:00 PM
I am sorry. But, to any intelligent Steeler fans, Dan Rooney make a clear statement today. Good players get free passes and under perfomers don't. And in doing so, he admits to condoning violence against women-- under the right circumstances.

In order to remian honest, Rooney needs to release Harrison or bring Wilson back....or just admit that Wilson was expendible.

Rooney's reasoning for keeping Harrison and letting Wilson go are pathetic. Pathetic in that they are in the same paragraph with the idea that the Steeler organization does not condone violence, especially against women.

Today, the Steelers prove that they are no better than the other NFL teams that we as fans mock for compromising their morals and ethics to keep on thugs and criminal in the name of winning.

tony hipchest
03-20-2008, 06:10 PM
everybody knew wilson and his $3 mil salary were expendable.

rooneys were kind enough to keep him on the roster last year. dan set an example today that the bs will not be tolerated.

you think the players union is just gonna sit by and watch a player get fired before due process?

dan knows the ins and outs of the rules better than you.

dont be disappointed. shit like this happens with unions all the time.

StinkyB
03-20-2008, 06:17 PM

rooneys were kind enough to keep him on the roster last year. dan set an example today that the bs will not be tolerated.

you think the players union is just gonna sit by and watch a player get fired before due process?

I fully understand the reasoning and the Godsend out that Wilson's actions provided the Steelers, but to cite some fake Steeler stance against violence and violence toward women in the media is a serious blow to Rooney's integrity.

We, as fans, pretend we have a team that is above this kind of thug coddling....and we clearly aren't.

Am I happy we still have Harrison and now have open cap and space for a better receiver? Sure.

Has Dan Rooney's reputation and the reputation of the Steeler's as an oganization taken a hit in my book? Sure has.

Like I said, I am disappointed in him as a man and the Steeelrs as an oganization....we deserve better for all we do to back these people. He should be ashamed of his words in the press. He should have just said "no comment" it would have been far better than the load of bullshit he is trying to peddle.

And, for his public condoning of Harrison's violence against a woman, the NFL should make him take some sensitivity training.

ANd no, this isn't the end of the world or something that should consume anyone, just an opinion.

TheWarDen86
03-20-2008, 06:18 PM
I think he could've explained it better, but I agree with it. If Harrison has another issue, he may get the boot too.

So, does WIllie Reid fill the role at #4 or do we bring in a replacement. I think we bring in a WR or 2 regardless, but I wonder if Willie can beat anyone out for the job.

Cherinko
03-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Just win.

StinkyB
03-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Just win.

Ok. Just win. Fine. So when do Steeelr fans quit pretending this team and this organization is above others?

When do we stop making fun of Cincy for thier criminal team? I mean they are just trying to win, right?

I am guessing you either aren;t too bright of a person or you might be a dishoinest person yourself. Just a guess.

Cherinko
03-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Ok. Just win. Fine. So when do Steeelr fans quit pretending this team and this organization is above others?

When do we stop making fun of Cincy for thier criminal team? I mean they are just trying to win, right?

I am guessing you either aren;t too bright of a person or you might be a dishoinest person yourself. Just a guess.

I've never put the Steelers over any other teams in terms of morals. The NFL is a business. Team owners are business men and their main goal is to have their teams win. You're fooling yourself if you think we'd cut a pro bowl player for off the field issues.

BettisFan
03-20-2008, 06:53 PM
haha we arent better than other team in management come on no ones gunna cut their Osi , or James Harrison, or Shawn Merriman for off field stuff its not gunna happen

StinkyB
03-20-2008, 06:56 PM
I've never put the Steelers over any other teams in terms of morals. The NFL is a business. Team owners are business men and their main goal is to have their teams win. You're fooling yourself if you think we'd cut a pro bowl player for off the field issues.

You are missing my point. I don't expect us to cut a Pro bowl player over an off feild issue.

What I do expect is honestly and an owner and a team that doesn't think the fan base are a bunch of morons when he/they lies to the public about some bullshit like the Steeler's don'tc ondone violence and violence toward women. Becasue it obvious to eveyone that they most certainly condone it and let it go unpunished depending on the circumstances.

What I expect is an organization that is smart enough to realize that a Pro bolw player had an almost identical off feild issue that I am claiming is the reason to fire another player.

BettisFan
03-20-2008, 07:01 PM
I admit it could be seen as wrong but the cutting of wilson wasnt wrong cuse that was gunna happen any way but What Rooney said was he should have said we cut him due to his in game performance.

StinkyB
03-20-2008, 07:04 PM
I admit it could be seen as wrong but the cutting of wilson wasnt wrong cuse that was gunna happen any way but What Rooney said was he should have said we cut him due to his in game performance.

Agreed.

Violence against women is not a trivial issue, Roony's condoning of it in Harrison's case is not exusable.

SteelCityMan786
03-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Agreed.

Violence against women is not a trivial issue, Roony's condoning of it in Harrison's case is not exusable.

He still has to go trial though. Wilson didn't produce as much as Harrison, so he's out.

stillers4me
03-20-2008, 07:09 PM
I don't believe Dan Rooney was condoning Harrison's actions. He just takes each situation case by case and considers the extenuating circumstances. Perhaps he knows these guys history and their character a little better than we do, hmmmmmmmm?????

And don't expect James Harrison to get a pass with another incident.

StinkyB
03-20-2008, 07:12 PM
He still has to go trial though. Wilson didn't produce as much as Harrison, so he's out.

So, by your logic.......Ike Taylor better not jaywak but Willie Parker should be allowed to lure kids in a van with candy?

StinkyB
03-20-2008, 07:13 PM
I don't believe Dan Rooney was condoning Harrison's actions. He just takes each situation case by case and considers the extenuating circumstances. Perhaps he knows these guys history and their character a little better than we do, hmmmmmmmm?????

And don't expect James Harrison to get a pass with another incident.

Well, what he said was the Steelers don't condone violence against women, excpet of course if that women is trying to keep you from going to a baptism, then you can kick the profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilter out of her if you want.

Dylan
03-20-2008, 07:16 PM
hhhhhhmmmmmm

Edman
03-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Pro bowl player had an almost identical off feild issue that I am claiming is the reason to fire another player.

James Harrison simply slapped a woman.

Cedrick Wilson punched a woman twice upside her head in a public restaurant in front of other people.

Not defending either action, but to call them identical is crap.

Atlanta Dan
03-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Dan Rooney apparently uses this statement this evening in an attempt to comply with the first rule of holes - when you are in one quit digging

When Rooney was asked by reporters yesterday morning why Wilson was released immediately and Harrison kept on the team, he said the cases were different.

"I know many are asking the question of [why] we released Wilson and Harrison we kept," Rooney said. "The circumstances -- I know of the incidents, they are completely different. In fact, when I say we don't condone these things, we don't, but we do have to look at the circumstances that are involved with other players and things like that, so they're not all the same."

In Harrison's case, Rooney said the player was trying to take his son to be baptized.

"What Jimmy Harrison was doing and how the incident occurred, what he was trying to do was really well worth it," Rooney said of Harrison's initial intent with his son. "He was doing something that was good, wanted to take his son to get baptized where he lived and things like that. She said she didn't want to do it."

But that was then and this is now :smile:

To clarify the comments made earlier regarding the conduct of our players, in no way do we condone domestic violence of any kind," the statement read. "Each incident must be considered on a case-by-case basis.

"In the situation with James Harrison, he contacted us immediately after his incident and has taken responsibility for his actions.

"In today's decision with Cedrick Wilson, we determined the situation was severe enough to warrant the player being released immediately.

"We trust that today's roster move will indicate our intentions and send a message that we will not tolerate this type of conduct."

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08080/866662-66.stm

May be time for AJR II to make the public statements and dog track time for Dan

StinkyB
03-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Pro bowl player had an almost identical off feild issue that I am claiming is the reason to fire another player.

Cedrick Wilson punched a woman twice upside her head in a public restaurant in front of other people.

Same offense...striking a women.

plus, I'd wager that Harrison's slap is harder than Wilson's best punch. :dang:

Edman
03-20-2008, 07:20 PM
So, by your logic.......Ike Taylor better not jaywak but Willie Parker should be allowed to lure kids in a van with candy?

But Ike Taylor didn't jaywalk and Willie Parker didn't lure kids in a van with candy.

stillers4me
03-20-2008, 07:25 PM
I understand what he was trying to say, even if it came across different than what he meant...........sort of........... I guess. :smile:

I also take into consideration that I'm reading what he said verses hearing the whole conversation myself. Not that I would accuse a media source of editing and twisting someones words...................... :coffee:

We all know that Ben came right out and said that his receivers were crap because they weren't tall enough and Anthony Smith walked up to a reporter and outright guaranteed a victory over the Pats..........you know, just out of the blue. :wink02:

And I still think Harrison will be cut if he has another incident. :wave:
(And did Mr. Rooney really call him Jimmy??????? :jawdrop:)

BettisFan
03-20-2008, 07:30 PM
James is gunna beat him now

PisnNapalm
03-20-2008, 07:43 PM
I guarantee that Rooney sat done with James Harrison and let him know in no uncertain terms that if he does anything like it again, he's gone.

There is a difference between an open handed slap and 2 closed fisted punches to the face.

I don't condone either one, but there is definitely a difference.

I'm ok with Wilson being cut. I liked him as a player. He was decent at his position. We're not going to miss him much though.

EDIT:: The Steelers have a history of looking at each individual case and all the circumstances around it. They can be very forgiving for things.

Atlanta Dan
03-20-2008, 07:52 PM
The Steelers have a history of looking at each individual case and all the circumstances around it. They can be very forgiving for things.

Such as who went to the Pro Bowl and who was an overpriced #4 WR:smile:

steeltheone
03-20-2008, 07:52 PM

Agreed....he must think we are a bunch of morons.

stillers4me
03-20-2008, 07:53 PM
I guarantee that Rooney sat done with James Harrison and let him know in no uncertain terms that if he does anything like it again, he's gone.

There is a difference between an open handed slap and 2 closed fisted punches to the face.

I don't condone either one, but there is definitely a difference.

I'm ok with Wilson being cut. I liked him as a player. He was decent at his position. We're not going to miss him much though.

EDIT:: The Steelers have a history of looking at each individual case and all the circumstances around it. They can be very forgiving for things.

Thank you.

Even if Harrison had been cut, I am absolutely sure that within a year (or less), they would have someone to replace him, and we would have a hard time remembering the name James Harrison.

The Rooneys are forgiving...........but they won't forget. But there's something abut James Harrison that makes me think that this will be the one and only incident. I would be very surprised to see his name in the headlines for anything other than smashmouth football. (pun intended)

cubanstogie
03-20-2008, 07:53 PM
This is the NFL, not the glee club. If fans think the Steelers are exempt from poor conduct from players then they have blinders on. Like I stated in a post a few weeks ago, a lot of pro athletes would be in prison or the street if it werent for sports. You know the saying you can take the person out of the ghetto but not the ghetto out of the person. It is true. Harrison made a mistake. He didn't kill anyone or even injure anyone. He committed a misdemeanor. We will see if the woman leaves him.I will bet she stays. What does that say. I am in no way condoning what these guys do whether it be dui's, killing dogs, slapping woman, or drugs, but to think the Steelers are exempt is naive and ignorant. Receivers like Wilson are a dime a dozen. I am so tired of the arm chair owners on this site. Wilson has not done anything to warrant him keeping a job.

stillers4me
03-20-2008, 07:54 PM
Agreed....he must think we are a bunch of morons.

:coffee:

Petesburgh66
03-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Double standards exist every where. Looks at the NHL with the recent Chris Pronger 8 game suspension for stomping. Chris Simon did the same and got 30 games because he is a goon.

Wilson was going to be cut anyways.

PisnNapalm
03-20-2008, 08:07 PM
The severity of each case is the difference. It's like the difference between being caught speeding and leading the police on a high speed chase.

Harrison knows he's gonna lose his meal ticket in Pittsburgh with another "ticket". Wilson did not pass "Go". He went straight to jail.

I don't need or want this off-season drama.

Steeldude
03-20-2008, 08:55 PM
wilson's contract was going to get him kicked anyway. so it's really no big deal.

and it's true, a more vaulable employee is going to be placed under different standards. it's like that in many companies. that's life.

srk173
03-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Both guys received a second chance. Wilson was just too stupid to leave the dumb hoe alone. Harrison will be out the same door if he does it again. It is really simple to follow and everyone is blowing it out of proportion. As long as it is domestic crap, the steelers will always give a second chance if the risk is worth it. Look at bam bam, he got caught with pot and was cut instantly because he was just not worth fighting over. Harrison on the other hand is worth fighting over. Every other team in the nfl knows it and every 3-4 team would try to sign him up if we cut him. wilson will be lucky if he can start an insurance business that lasts longer than a year.

Crushzilla
03-20-2008, 08:59 PM
FIRST of all, what the hell do you expect him to say?

Are you serious? Even if it was a case of "Harrison is better than Wilson," do you expect him to just come out and say it? This is a business. Look at any cookie cutter statement that has EVER been released by ANY company.

Second, could this have ANYTHING to do with the fact that Cedrick Wilson has been ALL over the news in the past year and this took place in a public restaurant?

Surely, the Rooneys are allowed to be interested in how their players conduct themselves in public? Right? I think getting into a fracas in a restaurant and being part of a freaking standoff in a residential community looks a LITTLE worse than slapping someone in their home...

"But, but, but, that was Cedrick Wilson's GIRLFRIEND who went nuts."

Doesn't matter. I think the NFL has already shown that the people you associate yourself with are an extension of yourself when it comes to legality. Just look at PacMan.. did he pull the trigger?

What I am trying to say is... each case has to be looked at individually. Sure, I am disappointed that both happened, but the Rooneys aren't about the fire everyone who gets in trouble. They are going to look at each situation.

Man, I wish he would have said that in his statement... Oh, wait... He did...

Midnightwriter7
03-20-2008, 09:06 PM
I would never be dissappointed in the Rooney's ..........Ever

Hapa
03-20-2008, 10:14 PM
They simply can't afford to cut Harrison. It isn't happening.

Also, Wilson did much more damage than Harrison.

Wilson pushed her once and pushed her and Harrison slapped her and broke her cell phone.

Wilson actually made an injury

SteelCityMan786
03-20-2008, 10:19 PM

No, they both shouldn't be busting the law. But the Rooney's needed to use someone as an example. However, I'm a believer in "Due Process," so Wilson being released unless they are considering their future.

MDSteel15
03-20-2008, 10:27 PM
I think he could've explained it better, but I agree with it. If Harrison has another issue, he may get the boot too.

So, does WIllie Reid fill the role at #4 or do we bring in a replacement. I think we bring in a WR or 2 regardless, but I wonder if Willie can beat anyone out for the job.

You can kiss his fumbling azz good bye :tt02:

MDSteel15
03-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Same offense...striking a women.

plus, I'd wager that Harrison's slap is harder than Wilson's best punch. :dang:

It was said that Ced walked in, went to her and punched her twice! He went there knowing what he was going to do. He had a purpose....

ChronoCross
03-20-2008, 10:41 PM
I am sorry. But, to any intelligent Steeler fans, Dan Rooney make a clear statement today. Good players get free passes and under perfomers don't. And in doing so, he admits to condoning violence against women-- under the right circumstances.

In order to remian honest, Rooney needs to release Harrison or bring Wilson back....or just admit that Wilson was expendible.

Rooney's reasoning for keeping Harrison and letting Wilson go are pathetic. Pathetic in that they are in the same paragraph with the idea that the Steeler organization does not condone violence, especially against women.

Today, the Steelers prove that they are no better than the other NFL teams that we as fans mock for compromising their morals and ethics to keep on thugs and criminal in the name of winning.

I do not agree with you here in fact, silverback was a harmless open hand slap, he can learn from this. Wilsons girlfriend held up a entire block and then wilson himself was stupid enough to go out again with this crazy women in public. And he punched her with a close fist. You can clearly see there will be more trouble out of wilsons future with this women and he clearly cannot stay away from that nut case of a women.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-20-2008, 11:07 PM
[QUOTE=Petesburgh66;378945]Double standards exist every where. Looks at the NHL with the recent Chris Pronger 8 game suspension for stomping. Chris Simon did the same and got 30 games because he is a goon.

Wilson was going to be cut anyways.[/QUOTE:thumbsup:

Exactly, double standards exist everywhere.

If you have enough money to hire a really good lawyer you can get off with murder. It then affords you the freedom to look for your wifes killer on the golf course....

Steel Pit
03-21-2008, 12:44 AM
I do not agree with you here in fact, silverback was a harmless open hand slap, he can learn from this. Wilsons girlfriend held up a entire block and then wilson himself was stupid enough to go out again with this crazy women in public. And he punched her with a close fist. You can clearly see there will be more trouble out of wilsons future with this women and he clearly cannot stay away from that nut case of a women.

Bingo buddy, you just explained why Wilson was released and Harrison was kept.
After the 1st incident I'm sure that the Rooney's suggested that Wilson, in no certain terms, stay the hell away from this woman.

This is much the same as PacMan going to Strip Clubs. The Commisioner urged him to stay out of the clubs but Pac didn't listen. Both of these idiots are getting what they deserve.

I'll bet that when these clowns were babies, they ignored their parents warnings and touched a hot stove numerous times before they finally learned better.

fansince'76
03-21-2008, 01:05 AM
If Harrison wasn't a Pro Bowl starter, anybody still think he'd be around? I strongly doubt it. Keep trivializing what he did if it will make you feel better, but StinkyB hit the nail on the head with the OP in this thread with the following:

Good players get free passes and under perfomers don't.

And I understand the NFL is a business and that that's the way it is, but please don't insult my intelligence with some politically correct BS about their cases being "different." Physical abuse is physical abuse is physical abuse. Harrison is still on the team because he is a Pro Bowl player, and Wilson isn't because he was an overpaid scrub.

fansince'76
03-21-2008, 01:36 AM

The 29-year-old player (Wilson) was arraigned on charges of simple assault, harassment and disorderly conduct and freed on $10,000 bail.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/03/21/sports/FBN-Steelers-Arrest.php

Officials say Harrison is facing two charges, one count of simple assault for intentionally, knowingly or recklessly causing bodily harm, and one count of criminal mischief, for intentionally or recklessly tampering with tangible property of another.

http://kdka.com/steelers/James.Harrison.arrested.2.673008.html

Look pretty identical to me. And they both give the organization a black eye.

OneForTheToe
03-21-2008, 01:58 AM
I agree with you Fansince'76, these incidents are for the most part indistinguishable. I also support the idea that the Rooney's have the right to treat their players differently if they so choose as long as they don't violate the CBA or some government regulation.. You can keep a certain player when he fumbles three times in a game and cut another who fumbles once to send a message. You can keep "Fats" Holmes on the team when he shoots at a police helicopter and years later cut Richard Sieglar for being a pimp daddy. You can keep Joel Steed after he gets caught violating the NFL drug policy while cutting Bam "Dr. Toke" Morris for marijuana possession ( Marijuana is baaad ? ok Mr. Mackey).

The point I am trying to make I guess is that not everyone needs to be treated same in order that they are still treated fairly. .

Preacher
03-21-2008, 02:13 AM
I am trying to think of anything that would distinguish wilson from everyone else.

The ONLY thing I can think of, is that it seems like he PURPOSELY went into the bar to confront the woman after he had already had an issue with her.

Is that enough to cause a difference?

I have absolutely know idea.

It seems too small of an issue for that difference.

Michael Keller
03-21-2008, 02:47 AM
We as fans do have a voice . I am disapointed in Dan Rooney and double standards. I am sending a letter to the Steeler office voicing my displeasure . I urge those that are disappointed in Rooney do the same.

Galax Steeler
03-21-2008, 03:47 AM
Bingo buddy, you just explained why Wilson was released and Harrison was kept.
After the 1st incident I'm sure that the Rooney's suggested that Wilson, in no certain terms, stay the hell away from this woman.

This is much the same as PacMan going to Strip Clubs. The Commisioner urged him to stay out of the clubs but Pac didn't listen. Both of these idiots are getting what they deserve.

I'll bet that when these clowns were babies, they ignored their parents warnings and touched a hot stove numerous times before they finally learned better.

Agreed in wilsons case it was just plain stupid.

stillers4me
03-21-2008, 05:34 AM
So the crimes are indistinguishable?

Then murder is murder. Let's do away with murder 1, murder 2, negligent homicide, vehicular homicide........ etc, etc. Premeditated or self defense means nothing. Circumstances mean nothing. If your action kills another person, then you die in chair.........no other questions asked. The law distinguishes crimes based on the facts and circumstances of the crime. It then bases the punishment on those facts. Why can't the Rooney's do the same?

If the crimes were switched and it was Harrison who walked into that restaurant and deliberately punched a woman (after he had be warned after an earlier incident) and it was Ced Wilson who lost emotional control and slapped a woman, then I believe we would be looking for a linebacker instead of a receiver come draft time. No doubt in my mind.

They knew all along that Wilson was a ticking time bomb that blew up. He already had his "day in court" across the desk from Dan Rooney.

James was a first time offender who let his emotions take control of his actions. He then removed himself from the situation and called his employer and said he had a problem.
Both punishments fit the circumstances. Harrison is on notice.

When did you say draft day was?

DACEB
03-21-2008, 05:51 AM
We as fans do have a voice . I am disapointed in Dan Rooney and double standards. I am sending a letter to the Steeler office voicing my displeasure . I urge those that are disappointed in Rooney do the same.

:thumbsup:

DACEB
03-21-2008, 05:56 AM

I agree. IMO, Harrison is on notice and will be released if there is another incident, without question in my mind.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-21-2008, 06:07 AM
Simply put....Harrison and his girlfriend were alone at the time of the incident and it becomes a he said/she said until a court decides who they believe.

Wilson smacked a female IN PUBLIC..and the Rooneys are justified in letting him go immediataly.

They are not condoning anything...they are doing what any employer can/would do with the facts involved. If Harrison is charged & convicted..then we can make statements about any type of hypocrisy...until then such talk is unwarranted and uninformed.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-21-2008, 06:08 AM

Then murder is murder. Let's do away with murder 1, murder 2, negligent homicide, vehicular homicide........ etc, etc. Premeditated or self defense means nothing. Circumstances mean nothing. If your action kills another person, then you die in chair.........no other questions asked. The law distinguishes crimes based on the facts and circumstances of the crime. It then bases the punishment on those facts. Why can't the Rooney's do the same?

If the crimes were switched and it was Harrison who walked into that restaurant and deliberately punched a woman (after he had be warned after an earlier incident) and it was Ced Wilson who lost emotional control and slapped a woman, then I believe we would be looking for a linebacker instead of a receiver come draft time. No doubt in my mind.

They knew all along that Wilson was a ticking time bomb that blew up. He already had his "day in court" across the desk from Dan Rooney.

James was a first time offender who let his emotions take control of his actions. He then removed himself from the situation and called his employer and said he had a problem.

Thank you for the voice of reason.

Michael Keller
03-21-2008, 06:22 AM
We as fans do have a voice . I am disapointed in Dan Rooney and double standards. I am sending a letter to the Steeler office voicing my ispleasure . I urege those that are disappointed in Rooney do the same.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-21-2008, 06:44 AM
We as fans do have a voice . I am disapointed in Dan Rooney and double standards. I am sending a letter to the Steeler office voicing my ispleasure . I urege those that are disappointed in Rooney do the same.

How is this a double standard?...

One has a roomfull of witnesses...and an employer can reasonably say that he has proof that warranted the player being let go.

The other was involved in a he said/she said situation that has yet to go to court....and an employer cannot provide reasonable evidence to the Union to justify his termination.

Granted, I work in Law Enforcement in Illinois...not in Pennsylvania....but I am pretty sure that the Rooneys are just acting within the limits of the law and protecting themselves from possible litigation. If the female drops the charges or recants before the court date and the Rooneys have already cut Harrison...the organization would pay a heavy price for wrongful termination.

Why is this so hard to understand?

HometownGal
03-21-2008, 07:07 AM
The other was involved in a he said/she said situation that has yet to go to court....and an employer cannot provide reasonable evidence to the Union to justify his termination.

LLT - Just clarifying here. Harrison admitted to the accusations levied against him, so it isn't a he said/she said situation.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08069/863787-13.stm

Police brought him back to the scene, where police said he corroborated what Ms. Tibbott had reported to authorities.

rbryan
03-21-2008, 08:17 AM

When the number of convicts on thier team drops below 10 for starters, or how about when they finally cut one of thier convicts, last time I checked they haven't cut any of thier problem children, Marv makes excuses and blames society or the PD for racial profiling.

Just another Bungler in disguise. Nice try though. Must have felt good to at least pretend to be a fan of a real team for a change. You're excused now. I don't have to guess about whether you're not very bright or dishonest. You're clearly both.

Dino 6 Rings
03-21-2008, 08:17 AM

I completely disagree with this.

Every situation needs to be looked at seperately. That's what the Rooney's said. I agree with that 100%.

Having a fight with your girlfriend about an issue with your child, can lead to serious anger. Harrison went way out of line, and struck his girlfriend, I don't condone that in anyway, but it was apparently heat of the moment, he's going to anger management, he' apologized right away, didn't deny it, didn't try to run away, he waited for the cops to come, and knew he did wrong.

Wilson, according to reports, hunted his girl down in a bar, walked up to her and punched her in the face.

Two way different situations.

I highly doubt, the Rooney's condone violence against women. Not every single slap in the face is a case of abuse. Believing it is only waters down true abuse cases. Like when a Dad comes home drunk from the bar and spends 10 mins beating the crap out of your mom...that's abuse. One slap across the face, isn't abuse.

Has Harrison's girl filed for a retraining order or order or protection? Does she really feel threatened by James, fear for her life? Maybe she realizes he's truly repentent. Maybe this is a case where a guy lost his cool once, and that's it.

Talk about "pattern" and "escalation" and what not all you want, but there is no indication of this happening on a regular basis, of a pattern between James and his girl of a "rocky" relationship. No police standoffs, no broken bones from "falling down the stairs".

every slap your child on the butt? Are you engaging in Child Abuse if you do?

fansince'76
03-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Not every single slap in the face is a case of abuse. Believing it is only waters down true abuse cases. Like when a Dad comes home drunk from the bar and spends 10 mins beating the crap out of your mom...that's abuse. One slap across the face, isn't abuse.

So sometimes assault isn't assault? Clear as mud.

Dino 6 Rings
03-21-2008, 08:37 AM
assualt yes, is assualt, but all assault isn't Abuse. That's my point.

Michael Keller
03-21-2008, 08:38 AM
How is this a double standard?...

One has a roomfull of witnesses...and an employer can reasonably say that he has proof that warranted the player being let go.

Granted, I work in Law Enforcement in Illinois...not in Pennsylvania....but I am pretty sure that the Rooneys are just acting within the limits of the law and protecting themselves from possible litigation. If the female drops the charges or recants before the court date and the Rooneys have already cut Harrison...the organization would pay a heavy price for wrongful termination.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Sorry I understand your perspective . I really do .

Mine is very simple . Harrison admitted the act of unacceptable violence. Unacceptable according to most Steeler fans. There should be immediate consequence . Suspension , trade or cut him. Harrison is an employee and represents the Steelers in a large public "audience" . I am in sales . I represent my employer before the public. If my name is in the media for an act comparable to Harrison's and I admit it to such an act I can assure that my employer would enforce immediate action and it is simple I would be justifiably FIRED .

At the risk of embellishing myself or projecting arrogance . I have been the top salesperson for the past 4 years and I would not expect to be given preferential treatment . I should be fired just as quickly as the next guy.

My point is simple to understand There is a trend of acceptance of violence in our sports' society and I believe from what I am reading most Steeler fans do not want our team, which we are rightfully very proud of, to have such players on our team.
This increases my respect even more for the Steeler Nation

AT least suspend Harrison without pay for several games for a self admitted act and expect a public apology.

I live in Northern California and I am getting calls from my friends who are fans of other California teams and they are asking me...[I]"what is wrong with your Steelers"?[I]

Frankly I am ashamed and sick of this and I want to see a strong message sent by the Rooney's to our players.

I do understand you and you are entitled to it . Now do you understand my point of view?

fansince'76
03-21-2008, 08:38 AM
assualt yes, is assualt, but all assault isn't Abuse. That's my point.

Yeah, I know, especially when it involves a Pro Bowl player.

Dino 6 Rings
03-21-2008, 08:41 AM
My point is people want to believe that the case with Harrison is "Abuse of a Woman"

Wilson, he's been in a long drawn out situation where there has been gun shots, police stand offs, now, stalking and public violence.

Two completely different situations.

Lord Stiller
03-21-2008, 08:43 AM
I think the Rooney's made the right decision

They cut Wilson to send a message, and it was strike 2 for Wilson.

That was only strike 1 for HArrison, 1 more and he's gone

Dino 6 Rings
03-21-2008, 08:43 AM
Yeah, I know, especially when it involves a Pro Bowl player.

If that's what you want to believe than fine, believe it.

If everytime I spank my childs butt, I'm being abusive, believe that as well. You've obviously made up your mind, all cases of slapping a women in the face are obviously cases of Abuse to you. That's fine. You're more than entitled to your personal opinion.

fansince'76
03-21-2008, 08:52 AM
Wilson, he's been in a long drawn out situation where there has been gun shots, police stand offs, now, stalking and public violence.

No, Wilson wasn't even on the premises when it happened:

A nearly 12-hour standoff in Pine home of Steelers wide receiver Cedrick Wilson ended peacefully early this morning when police took his girlfriend into custody, police said.

Lindsey Paulat, 26, of Tarentum has been charged with aggravated assault and recklessly endangering another person, said Robert Amman of the Northern Regional Police Department.

She was taken into custody at 12:48 a.m. today. The standoff began at 1 p.m. Saturday and resulted in the evacuation of residents in the housing plan.

"We were looking for a peaceful resolution. We did not move quickly to enter the home. We wanted to end the confrontation peacefully," Amman said.

Amman said that Wilson and Paulat got into an argument at 7 a.m. yesterday morning, and Wilson left the house at about noon. Paulat's mother came to the house to talk to her, and two shots were fired from a .35mm handgun owned by Wilson.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/news/breaking/s_548394.html

If that was all Wilson's doing, why wasn't he charged?

Dino 6 Rings
03-21-2008, 08:54 AM
He didn't have to be on the premises, it was his house, his girl, his gun.

Dino 6 Rings
03-21-2008, 08:54 AM
he was "involved" in the situation.

fansince'76
03-21-2008, 08:56 AM
He didn't have to be on the premises, it was his house, his girl, his gun.

Then why wasn't he charged in the incident?

Dino 6 Rings
03-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Then why wasn't he charged in the incident?

Honestly...probably because he was a Steelers player at the time.

if my wife goes off and goes nuts with my gun...I'd most likely face some type of charge for not having the weapon secure, with a trigger lock or in a lock box.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-21-2008, 09:43 AM
I think the Rooney's made the right decision

They cut Wilson to send a message, and it was strike 2 for Wilson.

That was only strike 1 for HArrison, 1 more and he's gone

The message was Wilson is the #4 WR on the team and he isnt worth having around.....especially if he cant keep his name off the police blotter.

The other message is Harrison is worth keeping around (Pro Bowl starter) but he needs to check himself and stay out of court.

Its "Natural Selection" NFL style. The weaker ones get cut out of the herd. I have no problem as its a concept that has been around for centuries. From the Rooneys standpoint I just wouldnt say its solely based upon personal conduct.

OneForTheToe
03-21-2008, 10:03 AM

With all do respect stillers4me, I never said a word about all crimes being indistinguishable. I said that these two incidents, as to the information that is public, are in my mind indistuiguishable. It seems to me they are both charged with simple assault. I don't see a lesser included simple assault charge here. In my mind Harrison shouldn't get a pass because he might have had good intentions before he kicked in the door.

Of course, I am not one screaming that Harrison has to be cut either . As I said above, it is their perogtive to make decisions about who they want on their team.

tunes4life
03-21-2008, 10:09 AM
I am terribly disappointed with people who get terribly disappointed with the Steelers. We can't know all that has gone on behind the scenes between the organization and Harrison/ Ced. It is silly as hell to assume that the Rooney's kept Harrison simply because he was a better player. I think the Rooney's deserve the benefit of the doubt. This organization has been run as a class act since it began. :dang:

19ward86
03-21-2008, 10:28 AM
He said that harrison called him after the incident and took the blame while they had to wait to find out by the police to find out about wilson.

Blackvette
03-21-2008, 10:32 AM

You SHOULD be sorry, the Rooneys have more than earned the respect of being upstanding and have to criticized like this.

Cleveland could use you as a fan - you deserve one another!

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 10:32 AM
When the number of convicts on thier team drops below 10 for starters, or how about when they finally cut one of thier convicts, last time I checked they haven't cut any of thier problem children, Marv makes excuses and blames society or the PD for racial profiling.

Just another Bungler in disguise. Nice try though. Must have felt good to at least pretend to be a fan of a real team for a change. You're excused now. I don't have to guess about whether you're not very bright or dishonest. You're clearly both.

Yep, this proves it, you are an idiot. I MUST be a Cincy fan because I have the audacity to make a cohesive point.

OUR team, the Steelers, have 4 players charged with violence againt women. But hey, until we get to 10, we're cool.

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Honestly...probably because he was a Steelers player at the time.

if my wife goes off and goes nuts with my gun...I'd most likely face some type of charge for not having the weapon secure, with a trigger lock or in a lock box.

ummmm, no you wouldn't.

stlrtruck
03-21-2008, 10:36 AM
I think as a fan we have the right to be disappointed with the FO of the Steelers organization, just the same as I have to be disappointed when I go out and purchase a new item only to find out it that it's dysfunctional. I put my good hard earned money into something I expect it to be something I want to show others. Case in point, I buy a new TV and I invite my friend over only to say, "Hey man look at my 60" flat screen tv - too bad it doesn't work". In Da 'Burgh, it's not just football but it's the Steelers. That team has been held in high regard ever since the steel mills began closing in the late 70's and early 80's - the fans associate with the team more so than in any other nfl city. They expect great things from the owners, and the players - a standard much higher than that of the NFL.

With that being said, IMHO, we should trust our FO in that they know what they're doing with the players especially with what happens off the field. I'm sure they try ther best to maintain the "standard" that the fans have for the team - however, we as fans do not know anything that has happened behind close doors with the Rooneys and either one of the players.

While I believe that they were right to cut Ced, because if I'm correct, this isn't his first incident in the NFL (I believe he had some other run-ins when he was in SF). Harrison, while his actions were just as dishonorable, took a different path and while I'm not sure if this is his first incident - it is the first one I know of.

I know that if I were arrested for assault on my wife, my employer would probably not fire me for the first time offense - however, explaining the need for X amount of days off might get me a nice meeting with the manager. Harrison had his meeting with Rooney, now it's time to see how it plays out.

HometownGal
03-21-2008, 10:37 AM
Not every single slap in the face is a case of abuse. Believing it is only waters down true abuse cases. Like when a Dad comes home drunk from the bar and spends 10 mins beating the crap out of your mom...that's abuse. One slap across the face, isn't abuse.

Ever get a slap across the face with an open hand by a totally conditioned, muscular 6' tall, 240 lb. man? :jawdrop: The fact that he busted the door down and crushed her cell phone like a grape - then slapped her in the face - tells me this guy has a very serious anger problem and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it comes out at some point that this isn't the first time he has exhibited this type of behavior towards this woman.

Again - abuse is abuse is abuse. No grey areas. Period.

every slap your child on the butt? Are you engaging in Child Abuse if you do

Yes - I have slapped my child on the butt and I've smacked my grandson on his behind. I, too, was smacked on my rear when I was a child. Have I ever slapped my child or grandson across the face? HELL NO. I'm relatively sure that if Harrison's g/f had received a butt slap instead of a face slap, he wouldn't be in hot water right now and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I have to pose this question here again.....

If your wife, daughter, sister, cousin, aunt, niece, g.f, etc. was the recipient of Harrison's face slap or slapped across the face by ANY man, would you give him a free pass? Nevermind - I already know the answer.

I am, admittedly, disappointed in what I truly view as Mr. Rooney's double-standard and that's about all I can say at this point.

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 10:42 AM
I am terribly disappointed with people who get terribly disappointed with the Steelers. We can't know all that has gone on behind the scenes between the organization and Harrison/ Ced. It is silly as hell to assume that the Rooney's kept Harrison simply because he was a better player. I think the Rooney's deserve the benefit of the doubt. This organization has been run as a class act since it began. :dang:

You need to reread my comments. No matter what went on behind closed doors, independent of "business", aside from the nuances of slapping vs punching. Dan Rooney speaking for the organization openly admitted that Harrison's slapping of a women was alright in his book because it was over a baptism. He openly admitted that if a player disagrees with his wife/girlfriend oven an issue that is in his eyes "important" that it is OK to strike that women.

Notice that he tried to amend his statement later-- after no doubt his PR people got over the strokes his firsts words caused them to have.

As far as "this organization being run as a class organization since it began" that is a concept that we all as fans tend to repeat and be proud of, but it is not always true. In this case is very false. Just becasue we say that and we beleive that in our hearts does not make it a 100% truth.

I tell out of towners that Primati's foood is awesome, when in reality is is just unique and seems to taste good when you are wasted.

cubanstogie
03-21-2008, 10:44 AM

Get a life dude. Totally different incidents. Plus you have no idea what goes on behind closed doors. Everyone deserves a second chance, maybe Cedric was already given his. Harrison was voted mvp by his team when Ben deserved it so he obviously is a great teammate and quality individual. He made a mistake period. doesn' mean he deserves to be let go. Do you have kids. Are they treated the exact same. I doubt it. Different individuals are handled differently depending on their past record, whether they are trustworthy and in this case worth the bad press the Steelers will receive for keeping the player. Harrison was obviously worth it Wilson not. BFD, stuff happens. Go write you letter I hope Rooney wipes is butt with it.

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 10:47 AM
You SHOULD be sorry, the Rooneys have more than earned the respect of being upstanding and have to criticized like this.

Cleveland could use you as a fan - you deserve one another!

And earned respect can be lost in present actions. If you want to be a sheep, then be a sheep. If you want to defend Rooney's comments based on some idea that his last name and his father's legacy earn him some sort of repsect, then go ahead.

As far as your Cleveland comment, it shows your low level of maturity and the smallish size of your intellect.

Awseom first post, Blackvette, can't wait to see more of your vapid blather. :)

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 10:50 AM
Get a life dude. Totally different incidents. Plus you have no idea what goes on behind closed doors. Everyone deserves a second chance, maybe Cedric was already given his. Harrison was voted mvp by his team when Ben deserved it so he obviously is a great teammate and quality individual. He made a mistake period. doesn' mean he deserves to be let go. Do you have kids. Are they treated the exact same. I doubt it. Different individuals are handled differently depending on their past record, whether they are trustworthy and in this case worth the bad press the Steelers will receive for keeping the player. Harrison was obviously worth it Wilson not. BFD, stuff happens. Go write you letter I hope Rooney wipes is butt with it.

And I hope a high-profile player slaps your mother/daughter/sister some day.

fansince'76
03-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Again - abuse is abuse is abuse. No grey areas. Period.

Agreed - some of the arguments in this thread about what constitutes abuse and what doesn't are downright Clintonian.

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Agreed - some of the arguments in this thread about what constitutes abuse and what doesn't are downright Clintonian.

I see what you did there. :)

cubanstogie
03-21-2008, 10:58 AM
The league doesn't have strong rules regarding conduct unbecoming of an NFL player. Because there are a lot of thugs. Haynesworth shouldn't even be in the league IMO after stomping a guys face with cleats. That is a felony. Open handed bitch slap is not a fireable offense. If my daughter was slapped you can be you ass I would be punishing the guy myself. I think less of Harrrison and and realize the Steelers are not exempt from having convicts. That is the sad part. Davenport wasn't cut the day after his incident last year either. It is a case by case basis. Do you think OJ would have got off his double murder if he was a third string left tackle and not in commercials and movies. Hell no, these guys just like hollywood stars are given preferential treatment for there skills which boil down to money making. Until the league sets some strict standards these thugs will not be held accountable. Until then I stand by Harrison for his first mistake and hope he doesn't make more. Compared to the rest of the league he is still a choir boy.

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 11:12 AM
The league doesn't have strong rules regarding conduct unbecoming of an NFL player. Because there are a lot of thugs. Haynesworth shouldn't even be in the league IMO after stomping a guys face with cleats. That is a felony. Open handed bitch slap is not a fireable offense. If my daughter was slapped you can be you ass I would be punishing the guy myself. I think less of Harrrison and and realize the Steelers are not exempt from having convicts. That is the sad part. Davenport wasn't cut the day after his incident last year either. It is a case by case basis. Do you think OJ would have got off his double murder if he was a third string left tackle and not in commercials and movies. Hell no, these guys just like hollywood stars are given preferential treatment for there skills which boil down to money making. Until the league sets some strict standards these thugs will not be held accountable. Until then I stand by Harrison for his first mistake and hope he doesn't make more. Compared to the rest of the league he is still a choir boy.

So, your weak-minded excuse is....

"It happens everywhere, why try to change it?".

Pathetic.

Hey, men beat their wives, what can we do about it?.

the answers--- lots of things, starting with holding a high-profile sports owner to task when he openly condones it in public.

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 11:14 AM
boink.

fansince'76
03-21-2008, 11:17 AM
The league doesn't have strong rules regarding conduct unbecoming of an NFL player.

With all due respect, why does punishment for this sort of thing have to be league-mandated? The Rooneys have set trends before. Here was a golden opportunity for them to draw a line in the sand and say "enough" and truly demonstrate that this type of conduct will not be tolerated in deed, not just in word only, which, I'm sorry, was the case with Harrison.

stlrtruck
03-21-2008, 11:22 AM
I tell out of towners that Primati's foood is awesome, when in reality is is just unique and seems to taste good when you are wasted.

No it tastes awesome when sober too (but that's my point of vew and my wife would probably disagree since she's only had it once).

tunes4life
03-21-2008, 12:06 PM
You need to reread my comments. No matter what went on behind closed doors, independent of "business", aside from the nuances of slapping vs punching. Dan Rooney speaking for the organization openly admitted that Harrison's slapping of a women was alright in his book because it was over a baptism. He openly admitted that if a player disagrees with his wife/girlfriend oven an issue that is in his eyes "important" that it is OK to strike that women.

Notice that he tried to amend his statement later-- after no doubt his PR people got over the strokes his firsts words caused them to have.

As far as "this organization being run as a class organization since it began" that is a concept that we all as fans tend to repeat and be proud of, but it is not always true. In this case is very false. Just becasue we say that and we beleive that in our hearts does not make it a 100% truth.

I'm sorry, do you have a link to the article were Dan Rooney openly admitted that Harrison's slapping of a woman was alright in his book because it was over a baptism? If this is the case I apologize for my comments. I have been following all news Pittsburgh and just don't remember seeing this.

And btw I agree with you about Primati's. While I thought it was good I didn't think it was all that. It was, however, original.

Stlrs4Life
03-21-2008, 12:17 PM

You must have missed this part of the article:

"What Jimmy Harrison was doing and how the incident occurred, what he was trying to do was really well worth it," Rooney said of Harrison's initial intent with his son. "He was doing something that was good, wanted to take his son to get baptized where he lived and things like that. She said she didn't want to do it."

A Steelers spokesman later stressed that Rooney meant that Harrison went to the house with good intentions, but that Rooney was not excusing what he did.

BlastFurnace
03-21-2008, 12:29 PM
I have to pose this question here again.....

If your wife, daughter, sister, cousin, aunt, niece, g.f, etc. was the recipient of Harrison's face slap or slapped across the face by ANY man, would you give him a free pass? Nevermind - I already know the answer.

I am, admittedly, disappointed in what I truly view as Mr. Rooney's double-standard and that's about all I can say at this point.

Great post!

I can only speak for myself, but I wouldn't give them a free pass.....nor would I give my own father a free pass if....God forbid....I ever gained knowledge that he hit my mother that way.

People make you mad, but a real man or person who has the inner strength to step back and walk away from a tense situation is a hero in my book...not the person who loses control and ruins relationships, friendships, and perhaps lives because they can't control their anger.

I am a fan of #92 on the field...basically, I cheer for the uniform and the symbol on the helmet...but I am not a fan of #92 off the field...regardless of what the outcome of the trial is. Point is, he lost it, broke down a door, crushed a cell phone, hit a woman...3 separate acts of rage in one incident.

Unfortunately, as much as I like the Rooney's, this hasn't been handled correctly.

fansince'76
03-21-2008, 12:30 PM

A Steelers spokesman later stressed that Rooney meant that Harrison went to the house with good intentions, but that Rooney was not excusing what he did.

Dr. Kevorkian spent 8 years in jail for the same kind of "good intentions." Doesn't change the fact that Harrison broke the law.

HometownGal
03-21-2008, 12:31 PM

So - because ol' Jimmy wanted to do "something that was good" and his g/f didn't agree with having their son baptized that day, it is a valid reason to knock the door down, break her cell phone in half when she was trying to call 911 for help and then bitch slap her across the face? :jawdrop: If she said "she didn't want to do it" - does that justify his actions? Wouldn't a reasonable person have discussed his son's baptism plans with the other parent before just showing up and assuming that it was OK? In addition to anger management counseling, looks to me like he needs to go back to junior high and grow TFU.

I love the Rooneys to pieces, but I think Art II needs to assume the spokesperson role from here on out so that serious matters such as this have no chance of being misunderstood, misconstrued or misinterpreted.

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 12:31 PM

No, I saw it. And it is complete bullshit. Rooney openly condoned the hitting of a women for what he considered a good reason, he also used it as a pathetic excuse to cover up coddling a star player and relesaing an underachiever. His PR guy rephrased Dan's comment to try to soften the inappropriate message that Dan was extending to the public.

Rooney was not prepared to comment and he made the blunder of saying what he thought not what was politically correct. In doing so, we get a true look into his character and the organization's integrity. Any amount of PR turd polishing does not unring that bell.

End of the world? No.

Glaring black mark on Rooney's character? Yes.

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 12:38 PM
I'm sorry, do you have a link to the article were Dan Rooney openly admitted that Harrison's slapping of a woman was alright in his book because it was over a baptism? If this is the case I apologize for my comments. I have been following all news Pittsburgh and just don't remember seeing this.

And btw I agree with you about Primati's. While I thought it was good I didn't think it was all that. It was, however, original.

There are transcripts out there, I'll try to find a complete one. What is more powerful is listening to him speak the words, WPXI had his comments and played them on the air yesterday.

""What Jimmy Harrison was doing and how the incident occurred, what he was trying to do was really well worth it," he said of Mr. Harrison's initial intent with his son. "He was doing something that was good, wanted to take his son to get baptized where he lived and things like that. She said she didn't want to do it.""

but that reads tome like Rooney condones the slapping of a women because in this case Harrison was trying to do a good thing and the women was wrong in trying to keep him form that and hitting her getting hit was her own fault for trying to impede on Harriosn's "good deed".

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-21-2008, 12:38 PM
i'm under the opinion that the only reason this becomes a big deal is that these guys make so much money. i mean NO disrespect to anyone, but my point is this: domestic violence happens in every walk of life. Would an owner of McDonald's get fired for this? Or how about a manager of a car wash?

I have a daughter of my own and would be very angry and disappointed if a man ever laid a hand on her...but I don't believe I could ever call for him to lose his job. I can't quite see the rationale for all of this outside of the fact that these men are professional athletes.

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 12:46 PM
i'm under the opinion that the only reason this becomes a big deal is that these guys make so much money. i mean NO disrespect to anyone, but my point is this: domestic violence happens in every walk of life. Would an owner of McDonald's get fired for this? Or how about a manager of a car wash?

I have a daughter of my own and would be very angry and disappointed if a man ever laid a hand on her...but I don't believe I could ever call for him to lose his job. I can't quite see the rationale for all of this outside of the fact that these men are professional athletes.

then, to your point, why would the Steelers? use Wilson's actions as an excuse to fire him? I know I know, it is just "business".

A lot of people have been wronged in many severe ways over what can be casually and euphemistically passed of as "just business"

And you can bet your ass that if you hit a women and the news of that caused your employer to be named because you represent the in the public?.you?d have a high probability of being fired.

HometownGal
03-21-2008, 12:49 PM

Any man who ever lays a hand on my daughter - his job will be the LAST thing he has to worry about keeping. He'd have to be a little more worried about how he was going to gum his food.

As some of our younger fans have stated, in today's screwed up society, professional athletes are looked upon by many of them as role models. Athletes today are generally put up on pedestals and are therefore held to a higher standard than the average Joe/Jane. In addition, I believe if I am contributing to the salaries of these primadonnas, your darned tootin' I'm going to expect them to conduct themselves both on and off the field as mature, responsible adults, just as I would expect of my own employees if I owned a business.

Domestic violence is not acceptable however it is sugarcoated. Period.

Dino 6 Rings
03-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Look, Harrison was trying to pick up his kid, and take the child to be baptized, which usually is a "planned" event not a fly by night thing, so he shows up, the girlfriend then tells him "no you aren't baptizing our child" he goes off, she runs into her Bedroom, he kicks "breaks the door down" which in reality, isn't very hard to do to an internal bedroom door, had he busted through a dead bolted front door, that would impress me, anyway, she says "I'm calling the cops" he's probably all fired up and says something along the lines of "no your not" grabs the phone, "crushes it" with his bare hands, if that's how it happens, I'm sure seeing her cell phone broken she uses an explative and he slaps her...

moment of silence while he realizes how bad things just got...he realizes his mistake instantly. He doesn't start to beat her over the face with fists or kick her or slam her against walls...he leaves, fesses up, admits wrong doing.

Wilson...has a volatile, very volatile relationship with a girlfriend...one night...he finds her, hunts her, stalks her to a bar, approaches her, she says something, he says something, she says something, he Punches her in the Face. Runs out of the bar club and has to be found by police.

Two, clearly, Different situations.

Harrison gets his 1st time warning, Cedric is shown the door after his 2nd offense.

No double standard, no favoritism, no Condoning the abuse (or slapping one time in the face) of women.

Dino 6 Rings
03-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Oh and please, feel free to Take one or two lines of what I say and focus only on those without taking into account the "big picture" I am trying to paint about how the two situations are very different.

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Look, Harrison was trying to pick up his kid, and take the child to be baptized, which usually is a "planned" event not a fly by night thing, so he shows up, the girlfriend then tells him "no you aren't baptizing our child" he goes off, she runs into her Bedroom, he kicks "breaks the door down" which in reality, isn't very hard to do to an internal bedroom door, had he busted through a dead bolted front door, that would impress me, anyway, she says "I'm calling the cops" he's probably all fired up and says something along the lines of "no your not" grabs the phone, "crushes it" with his bare hands, if that's how it happens, I'm sure seeing her cell phone broken she uses an explative and he slaps her...

moment of silence while he realizes how bad things just got...he realizes his mistake instantly. He doesn't start to beat her over the face with fists or kick her or slam her against walls...he leaves, fesses up, admits wrong doing.

Wilson...has a volatile, very volatile relationship with a girlfriend...one night...he finds her, hunts her, stalks her to a bar, approaches her, she says something, he says something, she says something, he Punches her in the Face. Runs out of the bar club and has to be found by police.

Two, clearly, Different situations.

Harrison gets his 1st time warning, Cedric is shown the door after his 2nd offense.

No double standard, no favoritism, no Condoning the abuse (or slapping one time in the face) of women.

Ok, Dino. So we can safely put you in the category of "hitting a women is fair" if she doesn't obey your commands and let you perform a planned task" Me, I try to reason with people and I try not to use my physical presense to bully others into agreeing with my point of view.

Congratulations, you're a pig. Stay away from my children and loved ones. :smile:

SteelCityMan786
03-21-2008, 01:03 PM
So - because ol' Jimmy wanted to do "something that was good" and his g/f didn't agree with having their son baptized that day, it is a valid reason to knock the door down, break her cell phone in half when she was trying to call 911 for help and then bitch slap her across the face? :jawdrop: If she said "she didn't want to do it" - does that justify his actions? Wouldn't a reasonable person have discussed his son's baptism plans with the other parent before just showing up and assuming that it was OK? In addition to anger management counseling, looks to me like he needs to go back to junior high and grow TFU.

I love the Rooneys to pieces, but I think Art II needs to assume the spokesperson role from here on out so that serious matters such as this have no chance of being misunderstood, misconstrued or misinterpreted.

Unfortunately no matter who says it, I sense that as long as we live in the "what have you done for me lately society," we're going to have more of this bullshit. I believe it's a sad thing to. The Rooney's are one of the few mentally sane NFL minds left. yet, they are people to.

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Oh and please, feel free to Take one or two lines of what I say and focus only on those without taking into account the "big picture" I am trying to paint about how the two situations are very different.

The lead up to the situations are certainly different, Dino, but the end result are the same. Two men disagreed with their girlfriends and struck them. The law calls that assault. I call it a cowardly way to handle a dispute with the mother of your child.

Dino 6 Rings
03-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Ok, Dino. So we can safely put you in the category of "hitting a women is fair" if she doesn't obey your commands and let you perform a planned task" Me, I try to reason with people and I try not to use my physical presense to bully others into agreeing with my point of view.

Congratulations, you're a pig. Stay away form my children and loved ones. :smile:

You're right, I said it was fair, never mind the calls I had for drug testing Harrison and anger management classes I called for in the orignal Harrison arrested post.

A pig?

At no point did I personally attack anyone for a point of view on this subject, however, it seems, the real pig has identified themselves openly.

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 01:07 PM
You're right, I said it was fair, never mind the calls I had for drug testing Harrison and anger management classes I called for in the orignal Harrison arrested post.

A pig?

At no point did I personally attack anyone for a point of view on this subject, however, it seems, the real pig has identified themselves openly.

Yes, I called you a pig. You are using pathetic excuses to condone the physical abuse of a women, a very pig-like action and the exact same reason I am disappointed with Dan Rooney as a man and a public figure.

There is no excuse for what Harrison did. Planned activity or not.

Dino 6 Rings
03-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Wrong. I'm using circumstances and the actual situation to condone the actions of the Rooney's for the firing of one player over the firing of another. That is what I'm doing.

Dino 6 Rings
03-21-2008, 01:11 PM
The name of the thread is "disappointed in the Rooneys" not "beating women is fine in my book"

fansince'76
03-21-2008, 01:11 PM
Yes, I called you a pig. You are using pathetic excuses to condone the physical abuse of a women, a very pig-like action and the exact same reason I am disappointed with Dan Rooney as a man and a public figure.

There is no excuse for what Harrison did. Planned activity or not.

Please folks, chill with the name-calling, OK? Thanks!

HometownGal
03-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Congratulations, you're a pig. Stay away from my children and loved ones. :smile:

Stinky - can you please debate the post and not attack the poster? Hey - I agree with most of what you are saying here, but try to be respectful in replying to those posts you disagree with, k?

Thanks. :smile:

cubanstogie
03-21-2008, 01:14 PM
So, your weak-minded excuse is....

"It happens everywhere, why try to change it?".

Pathetic.

Hey, men beat their wives, what can we do about it?.

the answers--- lots of things, starting with holding a high-profile sports owner to task when he openly condones it in public.

My response was in no way an excuse. I know when I watch football and other sports that I am not watching choir boys or role models. What Harrison did was wrong and he should be accountable with law enforcement. Comparing his crime with others in the league and saying he should be let go is a joke in my opinion. The Steelers couldn't eve field a team if people weren't allowed to make mistakes. Just because someone thinks Harrison should not be let go doesn't mean they condone domestic violence.

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Wrong. I'm using circumstances and the actual situation to condone the actions of the Rooney's for the firing of one player over the firing of another. That is what I'm doing.

. Wrong, you are making excuses for Harrison's actions so you don't have to admit that Rooney has double standards.

If you down play Harrison's transgressions you strengthen you own misguided impression that there was no wrong done here.

You are highlighting the lead-up to each action and confusing that with the outcome. The outcome of BOTH situations was a heinous act of assault on a women, no matter what the impetus for the situation.

If I am driving drunk and kill a pedestrian, does it matter if I am on my way to a strip club or a charity fund raiser?

P.S. My calling you a pig was merely for effect, I don't know you so I can't REALLY make that conclusion.

HometownGal
03-21-2008, 01:18 PM
The name of the thread is "disappointed in the Rooneys" not "beating women is fine in my book"

Dino - while I respect your opinion here (though I disagree with it for the most part) and generally on this board tremendously, this thread (and the prior Harrison thread) contains more excuses for this man's actions (and subsequently, those of the Rooneys) than a room full of centipedes.

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 01:19 PM
My response was in no way an excuse. I know when I watch football and other sports that I am not watching choir boys or role models. What Harrison did was wrong and he should be accountable with law enforcement. Comparing his crime with others in the league and saying he should be let go is a joke in my opinion. The Steelers couldn't eve field a team if people weren't allowed to make mistakes. Just because someone thinks Harrison should not be let go doesn't mean they condone domestic violence.

You don't seem to grasp much beyond the very surface of this issue.

You missed the entire idea that Wilson was let go for the same crime as Harrison. Had Wilson been given another chance then their would be no beef.

Had the Steeelrs not bullshitted us by telling they do not condone violence of any sort, then their would be no issue.

had Rooney not given Harrison's violence a glossy excuse, I'd be singing a different tune.

You missed the entire idea that Rooney stated to the media that Harrison;s crime was excusable becasue he had good intentions in trying to get his son baptized.

You missed the entire idea that Rooney's exact words are an admision of condoning domestic violence, no matter what his paid wordsmiths said later to cover his ass.

Dino 6 Rings
03-21-2008, 01:22 PM
. Wrong, you are making excuses for Harrison's actions so you don't have to admit that Rooney has double standards.

If I am driving drunk and kill a pedestrian, does it matter if I am on my way to a strip club or a charity fund raiser?

Ok, what if you're driving sober, and hit a pedestrian and kill them? Isn't that still the same as if you were drunk? Dead is Dead right? Isn't that what you're saying by considering these two assualts the same without looking at the circumstances behind them?

Dino 6 Rings
03-21-2008, 01:25 PM
Dino - while I respect your opinion here (though I disagree with it for the most part) and generally on this board tremendously, this thread (and the prior Harrison thread) contains more excuses for this man's actions (and subsequently, those of the Rooneys) than a room full of centipedes.

I understand, I'm not taking this from a "man vs woman" point of view, I'm trying to address it as a "different situations" and Right of the Employer point of view.

Should we all be treated equally, sure, I guess in a utopian society we she all be treated the same, but then that means I would be given the same type of treatment from my bank as the guy a town a way arrested 8 times for selling meth to kids.

I'd rather we all be treated on a case by case basis.

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Ok, what if you're driving sober, and hit a pedestrian and kill them? Isn't that still the same as if you were drunk? Dead is Dead right? Isn't that what you're saying by considering these two assualts the same without looking at the circumstances behind them?

You are still confusing the lead-up to the end result. No matter what happend to both Wilson and Harrison to bring them to a point of confrontation with their girlfriends, both ended up striking a woman and neither of them were in a position of self defense or danger. Harrison might have been 100% right up and until he became violent. Wilson, who knows when and where he started down the wrong path. Either way, they eneded up doing the same thing.

cubanstogie
03-21-2008, 01:28 PM
With all due respect, why does punishment for this sort of thing have to be league-mandated? The Rooneys have set trends before. Here was a golden opportunity for them to draw a line in the sand and say "enough" and truly demonstrate that this type of conduct will not be tolerated in deed, not just in word only, which, I'm sorry, was the case with Harrison.

I think there should be league punishment as well as team punishment. The employer of James Harrison is the Rooney family. They have a right to do whatever they feel is necessary. He should be punished in some way. Suspension, fine, community service would be good. But let go is way overkill. Especially when there are killers, druggies, and other convicts in this league. Stinky somehow thinks that I am condoning domestic violence by these statements. I am not. I just know that most of these guys are spoiled punks who think they are above the law. I watch football for entertainment only. I have loved the Steelers for 35 years. I put very few on a pedestal. And none for what they do on the field. I am impressed for their skill and talent. The guys I respect are the ones that give back to community, soldiers, and ill or sick children. Most of these guys don't have great character and I accept that when I watch games.

tony hipchest
03-21-2008, 01:30 PM

. i think we all pretty much get that. i guess when you own a team you can run it however you wish. just remember harrison has the players union on his side.

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 01:30 PM
I understand, I'm not taking this from a "man vs woman" point of view, I'm trying to address it as a "different situations" and Right of the Employer point of view.

Should we all be treated equally, sure, I guess in a utopian society we she all be treated the same, but then that means I would be given the same type of treatment from my bank as the guy a town a way arrested 8 times for selling meth to kids.

I'd rather we all be treated on a case by case basis.
Your analogy is off-base.

You are compairing you to a meth dealer, We are compairing two women beaters to each other.

You: Apple to Orange.

Me: Apple turned into a turd to an Orange turned into a turd. Both are, in the end, turds.

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 01:33 PM
i think we all pretty much get that. i guess when you own a team you can run it however you wish. just remember harrison has the players union on his side.

I never said that Rooney was not within his rights to run the team however he wanted. My issue is with him acting with a complete double standard and then telling the public he is not and in doing so openly condoning an incedent of violence against a woman.

As I stated before, Wilson's actions afforded the Steeler's to get rid of him with cause instead of trying to fight the union over his release. He helped the Steeelrs by being dumb. But, Steelers and Rooney shouldn't have tried to talk to us like we were stupid.

cubanstogie
03-21-2008, 01:36 PM
You don't seem to grasp much beyond the very surface of this issue.

You missed the entire idea that Wilson was let go for the same crime as Harrison. Had Wilson been given another chance then their would be no beef.

Had the Steeelrs not bullshitted us by telling they do not condone violence of any sort, then their would be no issue.

had Rooney not given Harrison's violence a glossy excuse, I'd be singing a different tune.

You missed the entire idea that Rooney stated to the media that Harrison;s crime was excusable becasue he had good intentions in trying to get his son baptized.

You missed the entire idea that Rooney's exact words are an admision of condoning domestic violence, no matter what his paid wordsmiths said later to cover his ass.

Thats right, I don't think we need to read between the lines. The surface is what matters. Harrison's was a slap, Wilson's was a punch with injuries. Rooney's own the business they run it how they see it should be run. The 2 crimes are different. You sound like a typical liberal with all this semantic bull crap you are spewing. Harrison should not be let go for slapping someone. No injury occurred. Anger management, community service yes. There are different levels of domestic violence. Verbal inluded. The line has to be drawn somewhere as to what punishment is given for which act committed. Grouping these together is wrong. The Rooneys shouldnt even have to explain themselves to anyone. That is the problem. They should have said we will settle this in house and no comments to media.

tony hipchest
03-21-2008, 01:38 PM
As I stated before, Wilson's actions afforded the Steeler's to get rid of him with cause instead of trying to fight the union over his release. He helped the Steeelrs by being dumb. But, Steelers and Rooney shouldn't have tried to talk to us like we were stupid.yeah, well sometimes people speak and shit comes out. sometimes they say something completely wrong. im willing to forgive rooney of his sin and move on, instead of harping on it and trying to force others to see how wrong it was.

he fracked up. doesnt mean he bitchslapps his wife everytime she wakes up late for church.

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 01:40 PM
I think there should be league punishment as well as team punishment. The employer of James Harrison is the Rooney family. They have a right to do whatever they feel is necessary. He should be punished in some way. Suspension, fine, community service would be good. But let go is way overkill. Especially when there are killers, druggies, and other convicts in this league. Stinky somehow thinks that I am condoning domestic violence by these statements. I am not. I just know that most of these guys are spoiled punks who think they are above the law. I watch football for entertainment only. I have loved the Steelers for 35 years. I put very few on a pedestal. And none for what they do on the field. I am impressed for their skill and talent. The guys I respect are the ones that give back to community, soldiers, and ill or sick children. Most of these guys don't have great character and I accept that when I watch games.

WOW. You are really that slow. Of course the Rooneys' have a right to do whatever they wanted in the situation. But, we as fans, should expect that they don't do one thing and pretend they did another.

The Dan Rooney caused his own grief here by trying to justify his business decison as a moral one. He just wasn't smart enough to cover the fact that one of his star players did the same thing 11 days ago.

As I said, Dan Rooney proved that he is not that moral of a man, and his PR team has to do all the clean-up.

BritishSteel
03-21-2008, 01:42 PM
The offences are clearly the same - they've been charged as I understand it with the same offence, so talk of the actual acts being different is rubbish. That said, the circumstances may be very different. The attitude of the players (in private) may be very different. The attitude of the assaulted may be different. These things may have been why the two issues have been treated differently. Assaulting women is inexcusable and assault is assault is assault as someone else posted. Motivations can be different as can degrees of contrition. Maybe that's what got Harrison and Wilson different end results.

Either way, Rooney probably should have kept his own council until the court cases are over. That way, a lot of this stuff isn't open to the wide degree of interpretation that's demonstrated on this thread.

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Thats right, I don't think we need to read between the lines. The surface is what matters. Harrison's was a slap, Wilson's was a punch with injuries. Rooney's own the business they run it how they see it should be run. The 2 crimes are different. You sound like a typical liberal with all this semantic bull crap you are spewing. Harrison should not be let go for slapping someone. No injury occurred. Anger management, community service yes. There are different levels of domestic violence. Verbal inluded. The line has to be drawn somewhere as to what punishment is given for which act committed. Grouping these together is wrong. The Rooneys shouldnt even have to explain themselves to anyone. That is the problem. They should have said we will settle this in house and no comments to media.

Slap vs. Punch is an idiot's argument.

Typical liberal? I am a registered Republican. But, if you have to be a liberal to believe in not assaulting women and speaking the truth to the media about your biases, then where do I sign-up.

The only smart thing you've said all day was that they should have kept it an in-house issue. They didn't and that is why there is an issue.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-21-2008, 01:54 PM
so let me get this straight...

cedrick wilson's actions are deemed such that he's fired.

but james harrison says, "sweetheart, i'm gonna take my kid to be baptized in the name of Jesus...and if you don't let me i'll beat the hell out of you, bitch." hypocrisy?

none of this makes any sense to me...

tony hipchest
03-21-2008, 02:04 PM
so let me get this straight...

cedrick wilson's actions are deemed such that he's fired.

but james harrison says, "sweetheart, i'm gonna take my kid to be baptized in the name of Jesus...and if you don't let me i'll beat the hell out of you, bitch." hypocrisy?

none of this makes any sense to me...

:link:

BettisFan
03-21-2008, 02:04 PM
It seems as if we are fighting more than talking about the issue....

If james is convicted he should be cut too, that would be the right thing to do but it wont happen.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-21-2008, 02:07 PM
:link:

i was using sarcasm...but the point is we KNOW that harrison wanted to take his kid to be baptized against his woman's wishes.

i'm willing to bet my left nut that the rest of the conversation was peaceable, polite, and reasonable. if you are, then you're dreaming.

cubanstogie
03-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Slap vs. Punch is an idiot's argument.

Typical liberal? I am a registered Republican. But, if you have to be a liberal to believe in not assaulting women and speaking the truth to the media about your biases, then where do I sign-up.

The only smart thing you've said all day was that they should have kept it an in-house issue. They didn't and that is why there is an issue.

If you want to categorize the two (slap vs punch) as the same go ahead. One person was injured, the other was not. The punishment should fit the crime. They are not and the outcome was not the same. I am embarrassed to see you are a republican I can usaully pick a close minded name calling lib like you out of the crowd. You have a holier than thou attitude and choose to try and slam other people who don't agree with you. The Rooneys havent learned politically correct yet obviously. Its too bad you cant say how you feel in this world now a days. you either offend PETA, or some feminatzy group. If you feel that strongly about Rooney and the dissapointment he has caused you dont let the door hit you on the way out. Go find a better franchise. The Pats are looking for some fans that fell off the bandwagon you sound like you would fit right in.

HometownGal
03-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Folks - for the LAST time - please cut it out with throwing the venom filled darts. If you don't agree with someone's opinion, there is a respectful way of disagreeing rather than this childish name-calling. :dang:

I don't want to start handing out infractions - I really don't enjoy doing that.

Let's clean it up a bit, k? :smile:

fansince'76
03-21-2008, 02:40 PM
If you want to categorize the two (slap vs punch) as the same go ahead. One person was injured, the other was not. The punishment should fit the crime. They are not and the outcome was not the same.

Why were they both charged with "simple assault" then?

The couple had argued and Tibbott locked herself in the bedroom, the affidavit stated. She was attempting to call 911, when Harrison broke through the door, took her phone, slapped her in the face and knocked off her glasses. Police said she had red marks on her left cheek. Tibbott told police she was afraid of Harrison, the affidavit said.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/03/08/steelers-lb-james-harrison-charged-with-slapping-his-girlfriend/

Her left cheek was red and swollen, and witnesses told officers what happened, police said. Officers later found Wilson as he was leaving his Pine Township home in his car.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7934304/Rooney:-Steelers-released-Cedrick-Wilson-because-of-arrest

How are they different? I mean, besides the obvious - Pro Bowler vs. overpaid scrub. THAT is the difference here, sorry.

cubanstogie
03-21-2008, 02:43 PM
Shhh shhh dude its ok no need for personal attacks lets just calm it down a bit. Ok now why would you ever tell a steeler fan to go be a pats fan thats just wrong. Let the man have an opinion!

I agree about the attacks, I let the first one go but had to retaliate after the second or third. Everyone has their breaking point. Harrison, Wilson and myself included.

cubanstogie
03-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Why were they both charged with "simple assault" then?

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/03/08/steelers-lb-james-harrison-charged-with-slapping-his-girlfriend/

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7934304/Rooney:-Steelers-released-Cedrick-Wilson-because-of-arrest

How are they different? I mean, besides the obvious - Pro Bowler vs. overpaid scrub. THAT is the difference here, sorry.

They were both charged by law enforcement with the same charge. Thats like both being tardy, with one being five minutes late and the other 5 hours late. Same charge different punishment. Plus you have to look at past history and other circumstances. If one is a cancer in the locker room or doesn't get along with teammates.
I think Wilsons days were numbered anyway. If he was a star he would not have been let go either. When did people actually think morals and values had a place in the NFL.

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 03:01 PM
When did people actually think morals and values had a place in the NFL.

Oh, I'd say right about the time that Dan Rooney explained to the media that the Steelers were realeasing Wilson based on his actions violating the morals and values of the team.

cubanstogie
03-21-2008, 03:12 PM
A slap and a puch are the same in the eyes of the law. A punch that injures and a punch that doesn't are also the same, as far as the law is concerned. Injury and severity of injury are handled in additional charges and in civil action as a result of criminal charges. But, I don' t expect you to be able to grasp that concept as you slobber out incorecct comments and ideas.

You mean you are usually quick to mischaracterize people and categorize them in a neat little stereotype that your ignorance and lack of mental prowess has invented and disguised as political opinion.

Not in the slightest. But when you reply to my opinion with the weak excuses and the half-profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltered an ill-informed theories of a child, you should expect to get a retort. Either defend you silly position with facts and reason or walk away. All your crying is sickening.

And it is too bad the Rooney's can't express their opinion without lying to our collective faces and trying to get one by us all like we aren't paying attention.

Spoken like a true neo-con that makes the rest of us in the Repubican party look so, dare I say, redneckish, sexist and uneducated.

God, next thing you know, your programmed ass will be telling me that the terrorist will win if the Rooney's character is questioned. I am being UnSteelerotic, am I?

I can grasp the law, the fact is the Rooneys don't have to use the rules of the law to manage their team and discipline players. These two crimes are different and should be handled different. They can be open minded listen the player and then decide. The law is more black and white. You can throw out the insults all you want internet tough guy. There is obviously politics being and owner of an NFL team. Don't be so naive. Its funny you are dissapointed in Rooney just because he didn't handle the incident like you would have. Quit being so self righteous. How am I crying?
Because I believe in giving the guys another chance and am defending Rooney over some internet tough guy name caller.

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 03:21 PM
I can grasp the law, the fact is the Rooneys don't have to use the rules of the law to manage their team and discipline players. These two crimes are different and should be handled different.

You can keep claiming that, but it won't make it true. The facts are against your position. Harrison and Wilson assaulted women and Rooney thinks Harriosn is justified becasue he had good intentions. Harrison is a woman beater. Wilson is a woman beater. Rooney is an apologist for a woman beater. You are a shameless apologist for all of them (excpet Wislon because he is expedible)

They can be open minded listen the player and then decide. The law is more black and white.

Then go to the media and the fans and feed us all some bullshit line.

You can throw out the insults all you want internet tough guy. There is obviously politics being and owner of an NFL team. Don't be so naive.

Don't pull the "internet tough guy" shit on me. I never came close to threatening your or acting tough. If you feel threatended it only because you know you aren't bright enough to counter any of my points and it makes you feel impotent inside.

Its funny you are dissapointed in Rooney just because he didn't handle the incident like you would have.

I am disappointed in Dan Rooney as a man and a prominent public figure that was given the opportunity to set a good example and eneded up looking like a calloused biased fool.

Quit being so self righteous. How am I crying?
Because I believe in giving the guys another chance and am defending Rooney over some internet tough guy name caller.

Looks like tears to me, little boy.

Edman
03-21-2008, 03:35 PM
Harrison is a Pro-Bowler.

Wilson is a 4th string WR who doesn't produce.

Double standard? Yes. Is it fair? No. But that is the facts, people. Double Standards exist in all facets of life beyond domestic violence and pro football. Even your own life. James DOES get a pass because he contributes.

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Harrison is a Pro-Bowler.

Wilson is a 4th string WR who doesn't produce.

Double standard? Yes. Is it fair? No. But that is the facts, people. Double Standards exist in all facets of life beyond domestic violence and pro football. Even your own life. James DOES get a pass because he contributes.
Oy Vay, agreed....and Rooney gets a black mark for trying to convince us that isn't why he made the decisons that he did. For pretending that it is a moral issue and condoning Harrison's violence against women.

Back to the beginning of my argument.

cubanstogie
03-21-2008, 04:15 PM
You can keep claiming that, but it won't make it true. The facts are against your position. Harrison and Wilson assaulted women and Rooney thinks Harriosn is justified becasue he had good intentions. Harrison is a woman beater. Wilson is a woman beater. Rooney is an apologist for a woman beater. You are a shameless apologist for all of them (excpet Wislon because he is expedible)

Then go to the media and the fans and feed us all some bullshit line.

Don't pull the "internet tough guy" shit on me. I never came close to threatening your or acting tough. If you feel threatended it only because you know you aren't bright enough to counter any of my points and it makes you feel impotent inside.

I am disappointed in Dan Rooney as a man and a prominent public figure that was given the opportunity to set a good example and eneded up looking like a calloused biased fool.

Looks like tears to me, little boy.

Woman beater for slapping a woman one time. A guy doesn't deserved to be labed for one isolated incident. If it happens again, yes. Internet tough guy shit is because you start the name calling hiding behind your computer when if this was face to face you probably wouldn't say squat. He set a good example when he let Wilson go. You sound like a guy who is never happy. Get over it. Not your team pal.

HometownGal
03-21-2008, 04:16 PM
I am going to post this story in this thread, as well, to be sure everyone sees it. Already posted in the original Cedrick Wilson thread.

================================================== =========

Just heard on WTAE News here in Pittsburgh that Wilson's former g/f, Lindsey Paulat, called the Pine Township Police Department yesterday afternoon and "demanded" that the charges against Cedrick be dropped. A police spokesman stated that Ms. Paulat was 'belligerent" when the police replied that they have no intention of dropping the charges.

I'm waiting for a link on this story.

Personally, I think these two ding-dings deserve each other.

EDIT: The story below doesn't mention the reported call by Paulat to the Pine Twp. Police Dept. - still waiting for that one to pop up - but here is a story from the Tribune Review reporting that Paulat now says the incident was "overblown" and Wilson "shoved her in the side of the head" and didn't punch her in the face as reported. Riiiiiiiiight. Wonder how much of the green Cedrick shoved in front of her to get her to backpedal.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_558478.html

Wilson's estranged girlfriend says incident overblown
By John Harris

TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, March 21, 2008

Lindsey Paulet, the estranged girlfriend of former Steelers receiver Cedrick Wilson, said today the incident that led to his arrest and release from the team was overblown.

The Steelers released Wilson after his arrest Wednesday night for hitting Paulet, 26, of Fawn, at Patron's Mexican Grill on Perry Highway in Pine. Wilson is charged with simple assault, harassment and disorderly conduct.

Police arrested Wilson at his home on Blue Heron Drive in Pine, the scene of a 12-hour police standoff Jan. 19 after the couple argued.

"First and foremost, Cedrick and I have a (1-year-old) daughter together. For her sake, we put her first. We will take whatever steps necessary to ensure that," Paulet told the Tribune-Review.

"Cedrick walked into Patron's and saw me sitting in the bar area. He got upset when he saw me drinking. Basically he pushed me in the side of the head and said I was being stupid and then immediately left the restaurant.
"Cedrick has been very supportive as we are working through issues," Paulet said. "I think he was just basically very disappointed in me and he only wants the best for me and my daughter."

According to court documents, police were summoned to the restaurant about 8 p.m. Wednesday after Wilson entered the bar area and pushed Paulat on the shoulder. When Paulat turned around, he punched her in the face.

Paulet disagreed with that version of the incident.

"The restaurant staff apparently must have felt compelled to notify the police of the incident given the circumstances," Paulet said.

"He never punched. He pushed me in the side of the head. It was misconstrued apparently by the people around us. You know how hearsay and the grapevine is."

Wilson is free on $10,000 bail. He faces a preliminary hearing March 28.

cubanstogie
03-21-2008, 04:18 PM
if he only pushed her we should hire him back, oh wait he sucks forget it.

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Woman beater for slapping a woman one time. A guy doesn't deserved to be labed for one isolated incident. If it happens again, yes. Internet tough guy shit is because you start the name calling hiding behind your computer when if this was face to face you probably wouldn't say squat. He set a good example when he let Wilson go. You sound like a guy who is never happy. Get over it. Not your team pal.

If it were face to face I'd say the exact same thing. If you'd like to get a beer and discuss it face to face, let me know I live in Greentree.

Dino 6 Rings
03-21-2008, 04:21 PM
If the charges against Wilson are dropped (which I doubt the police will do) would the Players Union step in on behalf of Wilson and file a greivance for wrongful termination?

BettisFan
03-21-2008, 04:24 PM
I am going to post this story in this thread, as well, to be sure everyone sees it. Already posted in the original Cedrick Wilson thread.

================================================== =========

Just heard on WTAE News here in Pittsburgh that Wilson's former g/f, Lindsey Paulat, called the Pine Township Police Department yesterday afternoon and "demanded" that the charges against Cedrick be dropped. A police spokesman stated that Ms. Paulat was 'belligerent" when the police replied that they have no intention of dropping the charges.

I'm waiting for a link on this story.

Personally, I think these two ding-dings deserve each other.

EDIT: The story below doesn't mention the reported call by Paulat to the Pine Twp. Police Dept. - still waiting for that one to pop up - but here is a story from the Tribune Review reporting that Paulat now says the incident was "overblown" and Wilson "shoved her in the side of the head" and didn't punch her in the face as reported. Riiiiiiiiight. Wonder how much of the green Cedrick shoved in front of her to get her to backpedal.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_558478.html

Wilson's estranged girlfriend says incident overblown
By John Harris

TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, March 21, 2008

Lindsey Paulet, the estranged girlfriend of former Steelers receiver Cedrick Wilson, said today the incident that led to his arrest and release from the team was overblown.

The Steelers released Wilson after his arrest Wednesday night for hitting Paulet, 26, of Fawn, at Patron's Mexican Grill on Perry Highway in Pine. Wilson is charged with simple assault, harassment and disorderly conduct.

Police arrested Wilson at his home on Blue Heron Drive in Pine, the scene of a 12-hour police standoff Jan. 19 after the couple argued.

"First and foremost, Cedrick and I have a (1-year-old) daughter together. For her sake, we put her first. We will take whatever steps necessary to ensure that," Paulet told the Tribune-Review.

"Cedrick walked into Patron's and saw me sitting in the bar area. He got upset when he saw me drinking. Basically he pushed me in the side of the head and said I was being stupid and then immediately left the restaurant.
"Cedrick has been very supportive as we are working through issues," Paulet said. "I think he was just basically very disappointed in me and he only wants the best for me and my daughter."

According to court documents, police were summoned to the restaurant about 8 p.m. Wednesday after Wilson entered the bar area and pushed Paulat on the shoulder. When Paulat turned around, he punched her in the face.

Paulet disagreed with that version of the incident.

"The restaurant staff apparently must have felt compelled to notify the police of the incident given the circumstances," Paulet said.

"He never punched. He pushed me in the side of the head. It was misconstrued apparently by the people around us. You know how hearsay and the grapevine is."

Wilson is free on $10,000 bail. He faces a preliminary hearing March 28.
Even if this BS was true i wouldnt care, it always happends like this, with the Moss case the woman did the same, they always do becuase the rich man says call it off come back to me and have money, its a cycle who cares he is gone i dont care about mr. wilson any more.

cubanstogie
03-21-2008, 04:26 PM
If the charges against Wilson are dropped (which I doubt the police will do) would the Players Union step in on behalf of Wilson and file a greivance for wrongful termination?

I wouldn't think they would have a leg to stand on. Cedric should apologize, say the right things people want to hear even though most don't mean it, and then hope he can get a job with a team in desperate need of a 3rd or 4th WR and make a million or so.

BettisFan
03-21-2008, 04:28 PM
I wouldn't think they would have a leg to stand on. Cedric should apologize, say the right things people want to hear even though most don't mean it, and then hope he can get a job with a team in desperate need of a 3rd or 4th WR and make a million or so.

Yea so lets stop talking about him he left, he is gone going somewhere else, who cares about that bad football playing woman beater anymore. not me

cubanstogie
03-21-2008, 04:32 PM
If it were face to face I'd say the exact same thing. If you'd like to get a beer and discuss it face to face, let me know I live in Greentree.

I live in California, but I will have a beer tonight in your honor.I am done with this thread, the only reason I put this much into this topic is because I am cooped up in the house today with a cold.

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 04:36 PM
I am cooped up in the house today with a cold.

I knew you were weak. :hug:

(joke)

HometownGal
03-21-2008, 04:45 PM
I put this much into this topic is because I am cooped up in the house today with a cold.

I feel your misery, cubanstogie. I'm cooped up with a cold today as well and feel like a sponge.

Hope you feel better soon. :cheers:

Atlanta Dan
03-21-2008, 04:45 PM
The assaults by "Jimmy" and Wilson are not sufficiently different to justify disparate punshment based on that alone.

Dan Rooney should have kept his mouth shut rather than make a ridiiculous statement about it being less serious if you slap your girlfriend around because you need to get to a baptism. I am old enough to remember when Dan started to cover for The Chief as Art Sr. started to slip in the late 70s and the time has come (as HTG observed) for AJR II to make the public comments - I am confident a corporate attorney such as AJR II would not have tried to parse gradations of assaulting your significant other.

But what may be missing from the analysis is not that Harrison is a more valuable asset than Wilson, but that Harrison may be regarded as stand-up guy within the team (he was voted MVP although Ben clearly was more valuable) while Wilson has been a jerk since popping off about not having enough balls thrown his way after he arrived in 2005 - who knows what else may have poisoned Wilson's rep with management. If that is the case, all the more reason Dan Rooney should have kept quiet.

SteelerFanInATL
03-21-2008, 05:18 PM

I don't think Mr. Rooney made a bad choice. This is the 2nd incident in 2 months with
this woman. Other players who have recently had problems have not been in the news repeatedly with the same person. The Steelers are clearly saying that they will not put up with several offences of one person. Do we wait for a third incident then say we should get rid of this guy? It sends a message to the rest of the team? Unfortunately it has to start somewhere.

BettisFan
03-21-2008, 06:20 PM
I think we just really have to stop questioning our management and have the hope that is all turns out for the good.

HometownGal
03-21-2008, 06:50 PM
I think we just really have to stop questioning our management and have the hope that is all turns out for the good.

Ummmm.....ahem.....:tap:

Yea so lets stop talking about him he left, he is gone going somewhere else, who cares about that bad football playing woman beater anymore. not me

:pw:

BettisFan
03-21-2008, 06:54 PM
Well obviusly no one got the point, it just keeps going on lol

nice post W...H...O...R..E (wouldnt let me type it) banna dude ;)

SteelCityMan786
03-21-2008, 07:16 PM

Amen Bettis Fan.

HometownGal
03-21-2008, 07:39 PM

:dang::dang::banging:

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Amen Bettis Fan.

Yes, that is the best route, don't question anything and pray nothing comes to light that ruins the Steelers in your eyes, Lord know you couldn't handle that. What would we do if we had to admit that our beloved Steelr organization was not as upstadning as we all pretend it is.

I bet some of you are covering yuour ears and singing LA LA LA LA LA so you donlt have to actually hear or see anything that you canlt handle. :jawdrop:

Like I said, lets hope none of your sisters or wives get assualted by a Steeler (good player) you'd never be able to stand the pressure of choosing family or team. :)

I can see it now.

"Damn it, Shelly, would couldn't you have been slapped by a 3rd stringer?"

SteelCityMan786
03-21-2008, 07:56 PM

use colon pw colon.

Atlanta Dan
03-21-2008, 08:15 PM
I know this doesn't happen often, but I agree with you..

:sofunny::cheers:

Godfather
03-21-2008, 08:15 PM
I don't think Mr. Rooney made a bad choice. This is the 2nd incident in 2 months with
this woman. Other players who have recently had problems have not been in the news repeatedly with the same person. The Steelers are clearly saying that they will not put up with several offences of one person. Do we wait for a third incident then say we should get rid of this guy? It sends a message to the rest of the team? Unfortunately it has to start somewhere.

Good point. Maybe the difference is you get a second chance but not a third chance.

Another point--don't know if it's been brought up and I don't want to read 17 pages to find out--is the Steelers might be shopping Harrison. He has high trade value and getting something for him is better than just cutting him. The Rooneys didn't kick Bam Morris to the curb right away, but he never played another down for us.

Atlanta Dan
03-21-2008, 08:17 PM
yeah just take a look at murderer president and the lies and dismal performance of his admin and the fact that NO FORCE in AMERICA has made it clear how dysfunctional these morons running the country are or how many they killed

As to how this might relate to the thread, did i miss the story where W slapped Laura around but was not put on waivers because of it?

HometownGal
03-21-2008, 08:38 PM
As to how this might relate to the thread, did i miss the story where W slapped Laura around but was not put on waivers because of it?

I deleted his post, Dan and the reply to it because it had absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand. :dang::dang::shake02: Can't deny that I got a chuckle out of your post though - LOL! :chuckle:

I'm making it known now folks - any further responses to that off-topic drivel will be deleted swiftly.

tony hipchest
03-21-2008, 08:43 PM
I

I'm making it known now folks - any further responses to that off-topic drivel will be deleted swiftly.

darn :dang:

SteelCityMan786
03-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Yes, that is the best route, don't question anything and pray nothing comes to light that ruins the Steelers in your eyes, Lord know you couldn't handle that. What would we do if we had to admit that our beloved Steelr organization was not as upstadning as we all pretend it is.

I bet some of you are covering yuour ears and singing LA LA LA LA LA so you donlt have to actually hear or see anything that you canlt handle. :jawdrop:

Like I said, lets hope none of your sisters or wives get assualted by a Steeler (good player) you'd never be able to stand the pressure of choosing family or team. :)

I can see it now.

"Damn it, Shelly, would couldn't you have been slapped by a 3rd stringer?"

I trust that the Rooney's are going to do the right thing. Sure we can question anything we want, but in the long term, they run this team. All we can do, is give our 2 cents.

I'm already protective of my own pseudo step sister. She knows what's good for her and what will happen if she gets into these kind of situations.

StinkyB
03-21-2008, 08:54 PM
I trust that the Rooney's are going to do the right thing. Sure we can question anything we want, but in the long term, they run this team. All we can do, is give our 2 cents.

I'm already protective of my own pseudo step sister. She knows what's good for her and what will happen if she gets into these kind of situations.

Well, they already did the wrong thing, let us hope they figure out a way to rectify the situation.

I already suggest sensitivity training for Dan and the FO. If you think I am kidding, think again.

SteelCityMan786
03-21-2008, 09:23 PM
Well, they already did the wrong thing, let us hope they figure out a way to rectify the situation.

I already suggest sensitivity training for Dan and the FO. If you think I am kidding, think again.

Do you think I blame you for saying this? Heck no. In fact, I feel that since the change of the reigns at the commissioners post in the NFL Office, Domestic Violence being committed by NFL players is actually worse NOW then when it was when Tagliabue was commissioner.

tony hipchest
03-21-2008, 09:39 PM
:toofunny:

wait... lemme think again....

:huh:

:toofunny: nope. still hilarious....

FAB802
03-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Under NO circumstance is it alright for a man to hit/punch/slap a woman. I'm not interested in stupid scenarios like her having a knife or any other ridiculous argument so save them.

Harrison admitted to smacking her. She locked herself in a room. He broke through the door, broke her phone and slapped her. I don't give a shit if he's in the church choir. If he actually did what he's admitting to he should be cut too. For anyone to try and justify it for any reason is a joke. Again, there is nothing my wife could do to me to make me hit her. I hope all of you tools defending him don't have daughters or mothers. If any man ever laid a finger on any of the women in my family I would be on trial for my life. A business may be a business, but for those who stand on their soapbox to be here and act like this is nothing is laughable.

tony hipchest
03-21-2008, 09:59 PM
I hope all of you tools defending him don't have daughters or mothers.

:huh: i think everyone here has a mother.

Welcome To Smashmouth
03-21-2008, 10:02 PM
...it's a touchy subject. first off let me emphasize that abusing women is an untolerable action yes, but both of these were accusations. i wasn't there to hear what what went down, what these girlfriend's did, what the steeler players did....i do know what two of our players were charged with a crime that i do believe as the wrong answer, but in terms of whose cut and whose released i believe cedrick wilson has been on the chop-block for quite some time - and this was that straw that broke the camel's back. i'd like to believe that both players are innocent, but the fact that cedrick wilson allegedly assulted his girlfriend in a PUBLIC BAR gives his accusation a little more credability. i don't think either crime should go unpunished if they truly put their woman in harm's way, but then again we're talking about a league that lets spyers/cheaters get off with a slap on the wrist so who knows....

FAB802
03-21-2008, 10:04 PM
:huh: i think everyone here has a mother.

Really? It's hard telling the way some are writing off the Harrison incident as nothing. :blah:

Crushzilla
03-22-2008, 12:51 AM
Really? It's hard telling the way some are writing off the Harrison incident as nothing. :blah:

Why is it that if you agree with the Ronneys, you automatically beat women or never knew a woman, like a mother?

Absolutely ridiculous. This entire argument is so void of logic that "its hard to tell" if people are serious.

This game is fun! Let's make sweeping generalizations! Anyone who disagrees with the Rooneys should be thrown in a well and pelted with rocks!

EDIT: Actually, It is absolutely INFURIATING that people make these generalizations.

So I don't care if my mother is beaten because I agree with the Rooneys??? I am inclined to have two words of choice for you, Fab...

You are building a Straw Man and building GROSS generalizations about people.

Not only do you not know who to debate a topic, but you are totally void of logic. How do people's relationships with their mothers impact the Rooney's decision? Why is it necessary to draw such parallels?

Do you think people will agree with you because you are drawing an exclamation point?

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-22-2008, 04:35 AM
Steelers | Rooney clarifies comments
Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:35:07 -0700

Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney clarified comments he made earlier about the conduct of his team's players. Rooney said that he and the Steelers do not condone domestic violence of any kind and each incident must be considered on a case-by-case basis. In the incident with LB James Harrison, Rooney said Harrison contacted the team immediately after his incident and took responsibility for his actions. In the incident with former Steelers WR Cedrick Wilson he said they determined the situation was severe enough to warrant Wilson being released
http://www.kffl.com/team/30/nfl

GBMelBlount
03-22-2008, 05:28 AM
I guess that pretty much sums it up.... :hunch:

Jeremy
03-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Wow......and you people think I need help.

Wilson's girlfriend all but admitted to lying about the incident for the sake of their kid. If what happened was nothing, then why did the staff at the restaurant feel the need to call the cops.

This couple has a history of violence towards one another. The Steelers were 100% right to release him. You can disagree, but come up with a decent reason why instead of playing the emotion card.

Haiku_Dirtt
03-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Rooney's reasoning for keeping Harrison and letting Wilson go are pathetic. .

I'd hate to be the kid who spills milk on your new carpet. It must be really really nice to be such a perfect outstanding citizen your whole life Stinky. Hats off to your perfection.

I'm a capitalist. So my concerns are different. But is not the most Christian value forgiveness? If the Rooney's feel Harrison was contrite, humbled and sorry why should a little forgiveness be shown. There is no pattern yet.

The Wilson 'smell test' failed. And I'm thrilled to see him go. Fortunately for us he hooked up with a chick who likes to stir the pot. :stirthepot: Now that the pot boiled over she now realizes it's going to hit him in the bank account and her in the flower arrangement department. Now she has to find another sucker to milk.

I'm very very relieved to see James stay. He knows his leash has shortened considerably and I'd bet we don't hear about this again while he is in B&G.

Haiku_Dirtt
03-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Wow......and you people think I need help.

Wilson's girlfriend all but admitted to lying about the incident for the sake of their kid. If what happened was nothing, then why did the staff at the restaurant feel the need to call the cops.

This couple has a history of violence towards one another. The Steelers were 100% right to release him. You can disagree, but come up with a decent reason why instead of playing the emotion card.

Wow. You're voting for Bill?

Edman
03-22-2008, 11:51 AM
What an offseason.:coffee:

Jeremy
03-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Wow. You're voting for Bill?

I'm voting for Donald F'n Duck.

BlastFurnace
03-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Anyone have a really good site for a Mock Draft?

silver & black
03-22-2008, 04:22 PM

Hmmm... interesting.

silver & black
03-22-2008, 04:23 PM

Hmmm... again... interesting.

silver & black
03-22-2008, 04:24 PM
haha we arent better than other team in management come on no ones gunna cut their Osi , or James Harrison, or Shawn Merriman for off field stuff its not gunna happen

Hmmm.....................................

DACEB
03-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Under NO circumstance is it alright for a man to hit/punch/slap a woman..

I agree that a man should never lay a hand on a woman. It's the whole under no circumstances thing.

I'm not interested in stupid scenarios like her having a knife or any other ridiculous argument so save them.

Just to clarify, you would die before defending yourself against a woman?

If any man ever laid a finger on any of the women in my family I would be on trial for my life.

Again just to clarify. If a man slapped, repeat slapped, a woman in your family, you would KILL them?

DACEB
03-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Hmmm.....................................

Your building up to something aren't you. I can hardly wait!

silver & black
03-22-2008, 05:19 PM
Your building up to something aren't you. I can hardly wait!

Not really. I wish I wouldn't have posted that... it was a heat of the moment thing. Kind of a childish barb in response to some posts in the NFL forum. I apologize.

cubanstogie
03-22-2008, 05:29 PM
I'd hate to be the kid who spills milk on your new carpet. It must be really really nice to be such a perfect outstanding citizen your whole life Stinky. Hats off to your perfection.

I'm a capitalist. So my concerns are different. But is not the most Christian value forgiveness? If the Rooney's feel Harrison was contrite, humbled and sorry why should a little forgiveness be shown. There is no pattern yet.

The Wilson 'smell test' failed. And I'm thrilled to see him go. Fortunately for us he hooked up with a chick who likes to stir the pot. :stirthepot: Now that the pot boiled over she now realizes it's going to hit him in the bank account and her in the flower arrangement department. Now she has to find another sucker to milk.

I'm very very relieved to see James stay. He knows his leash has shortened considerably and I'd bet we don't hear about this again while he is in B&G.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: good post , people on here think if we opt to give Harrison one more chance we condone wife beating.

FAB802
03-22-2008, 06:49 PM
I agree that a man should never lay a hand on a woman. It's the whole under no circumstances thing.

I could have included crazy instance like the woman waving a knife or being a true threat to my safety. None of the cases being discussed went down that way, so I didn't think it was necessary. I guess I was wrong.

Just to clarify, you would die before defending yourself against a woman?

I would defend myself if it meant my life. I doubt a woman refusing to do what I tell her falls into that category, but that's just me.

Again just to clarify. If a man slapped, repeat slapped, a woman in your family, you would KILL them?

If some assclown smacked, or hit a woman in my family I would need a good lawyer. I didn't use the word kill, you did. If it makes you feel good to try and use extremes to pick apart my post go ahead. it doesn't change the fact that any man who would strike a woman for anything other than a life threatening situation is a coward and a bitch himself. Does that clear my stance up enough for you?

rbryan
03-22-2008, 06:55 PM
No question that Rooney Sr's response was way off base, time to stop putting him in front of the mic for damage control because this was like gas on the fire.

Wilson was on his way out the door before this latest incident. If Harrison gets cut tomorrow I won't lose any sleep over it but we all know thats not going to happen. Is there a double standard?? Of course there is...in a related story... lifes not fair...taxes are too high....politicians are corrupt.....etc...etc..etc..

Being able to accept this realization doesn't mean that I beat women or that I don't have a mother.

I resent the assclowns here that make sweeping accusations against others who don't see things the same way they do. Maybe you're a lifetime fan turned sour or maybe your a troll looking to stir the pot. All I know is that it shows your ignorance either way.

FAB802
03-22-2008, 07:10 PM
Why is it that if you agree with the Ronneys, you automatically beat women or never knew a woman, like a mother?

I didn't say that, try reading it again.

Absolutely ridiculous. This entire argument is so void of logic that "its hard to tell" if people are serious.

This game is fun! Let's make sweeping generalizations! Anyone who disagrees with the Rooneys should be thrown in a well and pelted with rocks!

Exaggerate much?

EDIT: Actually, It is absolutely INFURIATING that people make these generalizations.

So I don't care if my mother is beaten because I agree with the Rooneys??? I am inclined to have two words of choice for you, Fab...

I didn't say that either. Some of you need to quit trying to analyze what I'm saying and just take it for what it is. I think a man who strikes a woman for anything less than a life threatening situation is a coward. You don't agree, that's your issue not mine.

You are building a Straw Man and building GROSS generalizations about people.

I'm not building anything, but if any man thinks it's alright to hit a woman, then I will say that generally speaking they are a coward.

Not only do you not know who to debate a topic, but you are totally void of logic. How do people's relationships with their mothers impact the Rooney's decision? Why is it necessary to draw such parallels?

I'm far from void of logic. Where is there room to debate that if a man hits a woman for anything other than a life threatening reason it is ALWAYS wrong. I could give a shit less what the Rooney's opinion is on the subject. Just because I am a lifelong Steeler fan doesn't mean I have to agree with every decision the organization makes. If they have a policy where they give players a second chance that's fine. Wilson got his and blew it so he got cut. As long as they dole out penalties on matters like these equally for repeated offenses it's hard to argue. It still doesn't mean I have to agree. I hoped that people who still have their mothers and have daughters would understand why I think it's wrong to strike a woman. I never said it had to mean anything to the Rooney family. The fact that I root for their team doesn't mean they have to care what I think. They are running a football team, nothing more.
Do you think people will agree with you because you are drawing an exclamation point?

I don't post my opinion to get people to agree with me. Some of the people I respect the most rarely do, but that doesn't mean we can't disagree on a subject. I'm not going to get into an internet toughguy argument or start singling people out, it's pointless. We disagree and I'm alright with that.

rbryan
03-22-2008, 07:28 PM
I don't think I've read anyonwhere on this board where someone thought it was OK to hit a women. Can we all at least agree on that??

For those of you who want Harrison or any NFL player in the same situation cut, I can't disagree with you.

For those of you who say the Steelers are no better than the Bengals I say take a closer look because thats just not true.

FAB802
03-22-2008, 07:28 PM
No question that Rooney Sr's response was way off base, time to stop putting him in front of the mic for damage control because this was like gas on the fire.

Agreed, he should have left it alone at that point.

Wilson was on his way out the door before this latest incident. If Harrison gets cut tomorrow I won't lose any sleep over it but we all know thats not going to happen. Is there a double standard?? Of course there is...in a related story... lifes not fair...taxes are too high....politicians are corrupt.....etc...etc..etc..

I don't think anyone feels that every player will be treated the same in every circumstance.

Being able to accept this realization doesn't mean that I beat women or that I don't have a mother.

Again, for those having trouble comprehending. I NEVER said anyone here hit women, or that they didn't have a mother. Quit reaching to make yourself look good. it isn't working.

I resent the assclowns here that make sweeping accusations against others who don't see things the same way they do. Maybe you're a lifetime fan turned sour or maybe your a troll looking to stir the pot. All I know is that it shows your ignorance either way.

I resent people who try and take a statement I make and tell me what I mean. I'm not sour about my team. I am certainly no troll. If posing an opinion is stirring the pot so be it. The only accusation I made was that any man who hits a woman is a punk. If you don't agree that's fine. I don't see why that is so hard to follow. I haven't called anyone here a name either, by the way. If having a strong opinion against hitting a woman makes me ignorant I'm alright with that too.

I hope this clears up what I was trying to say, because I'm pretty much done.

FAB802
03-22-2008, 07:34 PM
I don't think I've read anyonwhere on this board where someone thought it was OK to hit a women. Can we all at least agree on that??

I agree, and didn't intend for it to sound that way if it did.

For those of you who want Harrison or any NFL player in the same situation cut, I can't say I would disagree with you.

I may think he should have been cut, but it isn't really my place to argue with the team policy on behavior. Cedric had problems in the past and lost his mind in public. The fact that he was a scrub player just made it easier.

For those of you who say the Steelers are no better than the Bengals I say take a closer look because thats just not true.

Anyone who thinks the Steeler organization isn't better than the Bengals is out of their minds. I'm fairly certain that if it happens again James Harrison will be a former Steeler. To this point he hasn't been in any trouble, let's hope he learns from it and moves on. All I was trying to say is that it was wrong to try and make it sound like it wasn't a big deal.

rbryan
03-22-2008, 07:35 PM
I wasn't talking about you, sorry for the confusion. You just happened to be posting same time as me.

FAB802
03-22-2008, 07:37 PM
I wasn't talking about you, sorry for the confusion. You just happened to be posting same time as me.

I wasn't trying to get into a debate with you either. I just don't post here much so nobody really knows where I'm coming from. :cheers:

SteelersMongol
03-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Man, I always liked Wilson. 2 bad this this sh*t has happened. I hope he doesn't go 2 our divisional rivals.

nicesteel4life
03-22-2008, 11:12 PM
I KNEW there was more to that stand-off situation we never heard about!
Think about it!

BettisFan
03-22-2008, 11:20 PM
Man, I always liked Wilson. 2 bad this this sh*t has happened. I hope he doesn't go 2 our divisional rivals.

I mean its cool and all but how did you like wilson? As a person, player or what? Well as a player he sucked had like one touchdown a year, as a person we all heard about him and his GF all the time, so just wondering how and why did you like him?

nicesteel4life
03-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Everybody likes diffrent players. Ever been to a game and seen all the diffrent jerseys? and this comes from someone who is still using Bettis for Avatar and banner. Um he is retired for over 2 years now....lol

Steel Buckeye
03-23-2008, 09:57 AM
I'm not disappointed, I'm glad Rooney is sending a message out to the rest of the team that hitting women will not be tolerated. I guarantee if James Harrison does it again, he's gone. The difference between Cedrick and Harrison is that Harrison contributed to the team a lot more than Cedrick did. Sorry, Harrison earned his second chance, Cedrick Wilson didn't. That's just the way it is.

DACEB
03-23-2008, 02:32 PM
If some assclown smacked, or hit a woman in my family I would need a good lawyer. I didn't use the word kill, you did. If it makes you feel good to try and use extremes to pick apart my post go ahead.

You specifically stated you would be on trial for your life. That would indicate the crime of murder.

it doesn't change the fact that any man who would strike a woman for anything other than a life threatening situation is a coward and a bitch himself. Does that clear my stance up enough for you?

Listen, I absolutely agree with you as I stated before. It was the whole under any circumstances part.

You obviously come from an environment where you didn't experience such things, as do I. I have never struck a woman, but I have seen situations outside of my personal family and friends. I just believe that all circumstances are different, and things happen with people that sometimes are out of our realm of possibilities.

BettisFan
03-23-2008, 04:27 PM
Everybody likes diffrent players. Ever been to a game and seen all the diffrent jerseys? and this comes from someone who is still using Bettis for Avatar and banner. Um he is retired for over 2 years now....lol

dude he was a beast i love Bettis hes the man, he was the best! Well i dunno i am looking for a new sig Farrior.

lilyoder6
03-23-2008, 07:31 PM
all i have to say is that the world isn't perfect.. ppl make stupid mistakes rather than chopping his/her legs off ppl should help the person out thru the situationa nd help them get help (if we know them)..

also the past is the past and u can't change it.. so theres no point on dwelling on the situations

BettisFan
03-23-2008, 07:33 PM
all i have to say is that the world isn't perfect.. ppl make stupid mistakes rather than chopping his/her legs off ppl should help the person out thru the situationa nd help them get help (if we know them)..

also the past is the past and u can't change it.. so theres no point on dwelling on the situations
Thats for us normal folk for a public figure like an nfl player...ahhhh i think it changes.

rick723
03-23-2008, 07:37 PM

Yes just ask someone who worked in the steel union in 1969/70. That would be me. I didn't like what I saw and went back in the Marines. Few years later the steel mills told the guys making $18.+ an hour if they didn't take a 2 dollar pay cut they would have to close the door. The union said hell NO. The mills closed and the union screamed, YOU SCREWED OUR UNION WORKERS. $18.00 an hour then is like $150 now. BTW Ced was gone anyhoo. And Harrison's woman is going to recant, but then all the doomsdayers will say he forced her to recant

lilyoder6
03-24-2008, 10:26 AM
i don;t think that harrison as to say i thing,.. i bet the girl is going crazy not having that money tht she could spend.. :).. she'll drop the charge and go back to him 4 the love of the relationship ($$$)

mastermind1967
03-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Wilson was going to be released anyway. You don't pay 2 Million per year for someone of his caliber. I think he would have been cut b 4 the season. Without a roster bonus what was the rush. Rooney put his foot in his mouth by making it seem as though the incident had more to do with it than it did.

The_WARDen
03-24-2008, 03:17 PM
:cash

That's what it's all about ppl. The Rooneys are no different than anyone else. Harrison makes the team better and his jersey will sell alot better than Wilsons...therefore he stays.

silver & black
03-24-2008, 03:27 PM
:cash

That's what it's all about ppl. The Rooneys are no different than anyone else. Harrison makes the team better and his jersey will sell alot better than Wilsons...therefore he stays.

:tap:............................................. ......................................... :hunch:

tony hipchest
03-24-2008, 03:38 PM
i have a feeling ze raider fan is having ze fun at ze steelers expense... :huh:

:chuckle:

how u say ze "shitenfreud"?

silver & black
03-24-2008, 04:41 PM
i have a feeling ze raider fan is having ze fun at ze steelers expense... :huh:

:chuckle:

how u say ze "shitenfreud"?

Maybe just a little. :wink02: