PDA

View Full Version : 1995 Steelers

Steeler in Carolina
03-20-2008, 07:15 PM
The NFL Network was showing the 1996 Super Bowl this past week and after watching it and looking at the Steelers roster, it is amazing that this team made it to the Super Bowl:

QB Neil O'Donnell
RB Erric Pegram and Bam Morris
WR Yancey Thigpen, Andre Hastings, Ernie Mills, Charles Johnson
TE Mark Bruener

I am surprised they scored any points at all.

RJC
03-20-2008, 07:38 PM
The NFL Network was showing the 1996 Super Bowl this past week and after watching it and looking at the Steelers roster, it is amazing that this team made it to the Super Bowl:

QB Neil O'Donnell
TE Mark Bruener

O'donnell was a Pro Bowl QB. At the time, that WR corp was the best we'd have since Swann & Stallworth. Bruener was a damn good TE.

TheWarDen86
03-20-2008, 07:45 PM

QB Neil O'Donnell
TE Mark Bruener

O'Donnell left and started for two other teams and backed up (and started) McNair in Tenn.

Bam Morris was like the Bus and if he hadn't had those legal issues he would have had a better career. He too became a starter for the Chiefs.

Yancy was a great reciever and later started for the Titans.

Hastings was decent and started for the Saints.

Ernie Mills was pretty good and started for the Cowboys.

Charles Johnson was underrated and started for the Eagles.

Mark Bruener is likely STILL regarded as the best blocking TE in the NFL.

(Not Mentioned) Kordell Stewart COULD have been one of the better WR's in the NFL but thought he could QB.

So our depth in that year consisted of all starters for other teams.

Our Defense was dang near 11 all stars. If not for bad comms on two plays, the Steelers win that game. Heck, even if they avoid that 2nd INT, we win.

steeltheone
03-20-2008, 08:03 PM

QB Neil O'Donnell
TE Mark Bruener

What a stupid post....the offensive line was one of the best in the league.....Morris was a faster Bettis.....If Rothlisberger had that 4 wide set now, he would be unstoppable. In my mind, that team was better than Cowhers only SuperBowl winner.

tony hipchest
03-20-2008, 08:11 PM
never underestimate the element of suprise and unpredictability in an offense.

graham, mills, thigpen, hastings, johnson + kordell stewart. which receiver are you gonna cover?

pegram, morris + kordell. which rb will you prepare for?

odonnell + kordell throwing the ball. which qb do gameplan for? the one who is revolutionary and has little gamefilm to study, or the one who has 1 of the lowest interception ratios in nfl history?

offense aside, the steelers defense was excellent w/o rod woodson, and pretty much shut down the cowboys offense.

great team, with great players and great coaches who made a few mistakes that cost them a ring.

they were the david that almost slew goliath. they snatched the reigns from the bills as the power team in the afc. im not suprised they made it to the sb at all. after the 94 debauchle agains the chargers, i expected it all the way.

steelymcmatt
03-20-2008, 08:30 PM
And if O'Donnell could have told the difference between a Steelers jersey and a Cowboy's jersey we would have won that game!

Atlanta Dan
03-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Agreed that defense was loaded - IMO (and that of Carnell Lake) they would have been better in XXX if Woodson would not have played - Cowher would not sit Rod after he came back following the torn ACL in the Detroit opener - Cowher's most talented team

I loaded up on that spread - around +13

Steeler in Carolina
03-20-2008, 08:49 PM
Look, my original post was about the skill positions. I know the o-line was great and as always, the defense was great, but I don't care what anyone says, the WR's were not that good and the RB's were not either. Look at the stats of these guys.

Atlanta Dan
03-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Look, my original post was about the skill positions. I know the o-line was great and as always, the defense was great, but I don't care what anyone says, the WR's were not that good and the RB's were not either. Look at the stats of these guys.

WR and RB are fungible - you win with QB and front seven on D

tony hipchest
03-20-2008, 08:58 PM
graham, thigpen, mills, hastings and even johnson went on to more lucrative contracts and expanded roles with their new teams. its not like the steelers just cut them because they were scrubs.

kordell went on to become a starting pro bowl, qb and runner up for league mvp.

bam screwed himself out of what might have been jerome bettis type production.

pegram was at the end of the line.

breuner is still in the league with the texans.

odonnel made a poor career decision (yet excellent business decision) by going from the sb runner ups to the suck ass jets.

on the flipside is bubby brister who filled in adequately for an injured john elway (winning 4 games straight) on his way to getting his ring.

TheWarDen86
03-20-2008, 09:01 PM

Stats don't tell the whole story. Were you a Steelers fan in 1995?

Our WR corps went 4-5 deep with NFL starters.

Once Bam got it going in that SB the Cowboys were on their heels.

Yancy Thigpen was one of my favorites. He made some great catches. In fact, his departure left us without a top WR for a few years if I recall. We kept bringing in guys to start ahead of Hines (Courney Hawkins, Will Blackwell, Troy Edwards...who am I forgetting?).

Those very same Cowboys thought so much of Ernie Mills they signed him the next season.

TheWarDen86
03-20-2008, 09:05 PM
WR and RB are fungible - you win with QB and front seven on D

I agree about winning with defense, but if you have a solid running game you don't need an all-star QB. Just a guy who won't turn it over. See 2000 Ravens & Trent Dilfer.

Atlanta Dan
03-20-2008, 09:09 PM
I agree about winning with defense, but if you have a solid running game you don't need an all-star QB. Just a guy who won't turn it over. See 2000 Ravens & Trent Dilfer.

I know we hear about Dilfer & Brad Johnson but those are statistical outliers

Starting with Bart Starr you win SB rings with top shelf QBs - about the only multiple winner who did it with journeymen at QB was Joe Gibbs

TheWarDen86
03-20-2008, 09:10 PM
I know we hear about Dilfer & Brad Johnson but those are statistical outliers

Starting with Bart Starr you win SB rings with top shelf QBs

Defense. :wink02:

"Tastes Great!"

"Less Filling!"

BTW - I also might argue that those Packers are champs due mostly to a coach who ruled with an iron cattle prod.

TheWarDen86
03-20-2008, 09:13 PM
Oh yea. Let's not forget that our own Big Ben STUNK UP Ford Field a couple years ago. FWP and the Defense won that game. Granted Ben got us there, but he had some help.

Midnightwriter7
03-20-2008, 09:29 PM
That was a great team .. loved em.. I think at that time we had some pretty good WR and RB's ... stats dont always tell a story.. we were still a running team for the most part but besides those INT's ... our offense was pretty damn good !!

verks36
03-20-2008, 09:46 PM
yancy is the man and he was a hella good WR

TheWarDen86
03-20-2008, 09:49 PM
yancy is the man and he was a hella good WR

I hated seeing him go. I think he got better for 2-3 years with the Titans too. Imagine him in his prime with Hines. *sigh*

Galax Steeler
03-21-2008, 03:30 AM
I hated seeing him go. I think he got better for 2-3 years with the Titans too. Imagine him in his prime with Hines. *sigh*

Would have made a good duo.:thumbsup:

CanadianSteel
03-25-2008, 02:09 PM
That was agreat team, but unfortunately didn't get a ring.

Those WR were solid as a unit, just solid ! Did you see some of the shots they took in that game ! Never realized how poor Neil through the ball in that game vs the Cowboys. Take away the 2 interceptions and his accuracy was still brutal at best...
Defense, special teams and WR played very well in that Superbowl and Bam got goinjg as well into the 4th.

Elvis
03-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Oh yea. Let's not forget that our own Big Ben STUNK UP Ford Field a couple years ago. FWP and the Defense won that game. Granted Ben got us there, but he had some help.
good post warden..
Big Ben did not win that super bowl for us but yes he did get us there.
As far as that 1996 Steelers team..
anyone who says that team wasnt talented obviously isnt old enough to remember or hasnt been a real Steeler fan very long. Yancey made so many big plays during his stay with the steelers, but I also remember some missed catches in that Chargers game the year before in the AFC Tittle. Ernie Mills and Andre Hastings were not Jerry Rice but they were situational good players. At the time of super bowl XXX I think that game he tied the super bowl record for the most catches in a super bowl ( Hastings that is.). That defense with OLB's Greg Lloyd and Kevin Greene were feared league wide by QB's. Brentson Buckner and Joel Steed I believe was our DE's and DT's respectively. Carnell Lake was the best corner/safety combo player in Steelers history in my opinion.

millwalldavey
03-25-2008, 07:10 PM
In hindsight... only game Stewart should have ever started at QB.

How close were we seriously to getting Marino that year... I've heard so many rumors about it...

Steeler in Carolina
03-27-2008, 07:28 PM
Well, I guess I will back off my original post. I got to thinking that I had never really watch the 95 Super Bowl. I Tivo'ed the game recently and watched it, then started to really think about it and realized this came in the time that I was working 75 hours a week and didn't even own a TV. It was early in my career with my current company and I had been promoted and was very swamped for about a 2 year period.

I have been a Steeler fan all my life and I am 38 years old, so my post was not a case of not being a fan, but I probably did not see a game in about a 2 year span. This was before Direct TV and living far away from Pittsburgh, I wasn't able to see many games.

Anyway, I was impressed with this bunch of guys. Most of them didn't have real good careers, but I was really impressed with the WR play.

TheWarDen86
03-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Well, I guess I will back off my original post. I got to thinking that I had never really watch the 95 Super Bowl. I Tivo'ed the game recently and watched it, then started to really think about it and realized this came in the time that I was working 75 hours a week and didn't even own a TV. It was early in my career with my current company and I had been promoted and was very swamped for about a 2 year period.

I have been a Steeler fan all my life and I am 38 years old, so my post was not a case of not being a fan, but I probably did not see a game in about a 2 year span. This was before Direct TV and living far away from Pittsburgh, I wasn't able to see many games.

Anyway, I was impressed with this bunch of guys. Most of them didn't have real good careers, but I was really impressed with the WR play.

To be honest, I think I would rather had been you then. My girlfriend at the time was a Cowboys fan. Sometimes I think that day was the beginning of the end for us.....that b*tch! :wink02:

Steeler in Carolina
03-28-2008, 08:19 PM
I hear ya. I never really realized I missed most of that season or even watching the Super Bowl that year until I watched it on the NFL Network the other day. I always remember the highlights(or lowlights in this case).